Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Dance with me 8: Dinner parties and announcements

by Venom69
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Dance with me 8: Dinner parties and announcements

Dance with me 8: Dinner parties and announcements

by Venom_69

Title: Dance with me 8: Dinner parties and announcements
Author: Venom_69
Email: venom69@antisocial.com
Category: Romance
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Summary: Time to party. . .or not.
Sequel to: Dance with me 7: wise men say
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Summary: Time for the dinner party, and Sam and Jack aren't the only ones with something to tell.
Parings: S/J, D/J
Season/sequel: Late 3, maybe early 4. Take your pick. Spoilers: The Tok'ra
Archive: Heliopolis, and my very own, Venom's Sam and Jack site 69anderson2001/index.html">www.geocities.com/venom69anderson2001/index.html
Disclaimer: Stargate and the people in it aren't mine, neither is the song 'When I saw you', however, I do own the meals that they eat at the party. That's what I used for a dinner party that I had not long ago. Author's notes: Sorry about the ending, but I was threatened to finish this, and considering the fact that it had been sitting on my lap top half finished for four odd months, I just wanted to get it done and posted. I hope it's okay no less.
Feedback: Hell yeah!
Dedication: In loving memory of Lisa. 36 years was no where near enough, and although your spirit has moved on, your memory will remain with us until we die and we think of you with fondness. If death could be beautiful, then that's how you went. And for LEW, kudos and kisses as always my friend. Date: 12-8-2002

"So, are you sure that I look alright?" Sam asks me for the fourth time. She has been worried about this dinner party since I suggested the idea. The whole point of this event was so that Sam could relax, instead she's done exactly the opposite and totally stressed out about it.

"Angel, will you please stop worrying. You look lovely." I tell her. She really does, we told everybody that this was informal. Just a casual dinner between friends who are sharing things that are new.

Even though it's casual, Sam seems to think that her pale blue twin set and black pants are a little too casual. I think she looks great. I'm just in some blue jeans and a white dress top. Basically, the first thing that could be found that looked half decent. Or should I say, the first thing that Sam could find that looked half decent. Women! I'm dreading to think what she'll be like when she's a few more months into her pregnancy.

In one way I'm looking forward to telling everybody about the latest development in our relationship, even though Janet already knows about both parts, but on the other hand, it feels strange. I don't know why, I'm probably just nervous, things in my life seem to go wrong when everybody knows about it. As an added bonus, I have it on good authority that Daniel has something to share as well. Not that I have any idea what it is, mind you. But it does make me feel better that Sam and I aren't the only one's with announcements to make.

"Jack, can you get that please?" Sam asks after the doorbell sounds. I walk over to the door and open it, to find Daniel, Teal'c, the Doc and Cassie all standing there.

"Hey Jack." Daniel says while handing me the bottle of wine that he had in his hand. Daniel is wearing the same thing as me, only he has a blue shirt on. I nod and greet each of them as they enter the house. "Danny, Doc. Hey Cassie." I say bending down to accept a hug from the girl.

The doc is wearing a black skirt and a purple V-neck top. I have to say that she looks good, and if I wasn't an engaged man, or totally in love with Sam, then I would definitely be checking her out. But, considering that I am an engaged man and I am totally smitten with Sam, then I won't be checking her out. Cassie is wearing the light, long, blue dress that Sam and I bought her for her birthday a few weeks ago. Teal'c is wearing his usual cowboy's hat, with a black dress top and beige cargo pants.

"Greetings O'Neill, I trust you are well?" He asks me, stepping into the house and stopping briefly to bow slightly.

"Yeah, I'm good. You?" I reply.

"I am Hunky Dory." He tells me, and if it weren't for my shock I probably would have laughed at his statement.

"Daniel, what have you been teaching Teal'c?" I ask the young archaeologist, sending him an accusing look, while he plays innocent and just sits on the sofa.

"When we went to pick up the wine, Teal'c asked the guy behind the counter if he was well and the guy replied that he was 'Hunky Dory' so I haven't been teaching him anything." He tells me, his statement accompanied with a boyish grin.

The door bell sounds again and I move to answer it, considering that Sam is still in the bathroom. Is it just me, or do women take forever to get ready? Seriously, give me a hot shower, clean underwear and I'm good to go.

"Hello General." I greet, "I see that you were able to pick up Sam's surprise." I finish, looking at the man standing beside the General. "Hey, dad. How's life with the Tok'ra treating you?" I ask Jacob, raising my right hand to shake his outstretched one.

"Fine. Selmac says 'hi' by the way." Jacob replies.

I smile, when suddenly the sound of a very excited squeal comes through from the hallway to the front door. The squeal sounding suspiciously like Sam's in the form of a, "Dad!"

"Hey Sammy!" Jacob replies, his arms reaching out to receive the hug that Sam offers.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, and then as an after thought adds, "Not that I mind by the way." She hurriedly adds.

"Well, I got a call from someone who loves you, and he told me about a little dinner party you were having, and asked if Selmac and I would like to come. He thought you might like it." He says, smiling at me.

"Jack! You shouldn't have. But thank you." She tells me, giving me a chaste kiss as an extra thank you. If I got a smile like the one she's giving me now for my efforts then I should make an attempt to surprise her more often, despite her complaints that she hates surprises.

"Well, are you two going to stand in the door all evening, or are you going to come in?" I ask dad and the General, smiling as they enter the house.

Suddenly there's a 'Ding' coming from the kitchen.

"Entree's ready!" Sam announces and we all move into the living room.

The table, that Sam set yesterday, looks great. There is a black dinner set on the table. The main course plates are in front of the chairs with the Desert bowls on top of them, there are bread and butter plates to the left of everybody and there are wine glasses, and water glasses, in front of each set. By looking at the silverware it would appear that Sam bought her own set with her when she moved in. They are all bright and polished and I can tell that they aren't mine because they are too, I don't know, girlie looking. Or maybe they are just too clean.

"Angel, do you want a hand?" I call out to Sam who is in the kitchen, no doubt making a mess of things.

"Yeah, can you bring everybody's plate through please." She yells back.

I grin as everybody sits down and hands me their plates, with smiles, all knowing that Sam is far from an expert in the food preparation area.

I walk into the kitchen to see Sam, with lettuce everywhere. I have to smile at the catastrophic mess that is our kitchen. "A good chef always leaves a lasting impression." She tells me, as an explanation to the mess.

I hand her the plates one by one and she puts a bed of lettuce on each of them, with four Calamari rings on top of the lettuce leaves with Tartare sauce sprinkled over the rings. It looks good, the sort of food that isn't poisonous, I hope.

"Well then, we'll just have to keep our guests out of the kitchen at all possible costs, won't we." I tell her, smiling, and receiving a smile in return. She moves to give me a kiss, before taking everybody's plates out to the dining room.

"Wow, Sam. For someone who claims she can't cook, that was amazing." Janet exclaims, after finishing her entree, the others nod their heads in agreement. Surprisingly, it was really nice, not that I'll ever tell Sam that my expectations of her meal were less than average.

"Thanks, that's really sweet Janet. You are right though, I can't cook, but Jack can and he's doing a great job of teaching me." Sam says, looking at me and smiling her thanks.

"You can cook?" The General asks, surprised. I guess my culinary skills, or lack thereof in some cases, wasn't on my service record.

"It would appear that your relationship is beneficial for you both then." Teal'c says, finishing his last Calamari ring.

"What do you mean Teal'c?" Sam asks.

"O'Neill is helping you learn how to cook and you are helping O'Neill to know what love is again." He says. What? Where did that come from? I mean, not that it isn't true, but I never expected someone to blurt it out. And Teal'c of all people? Although, that boy wouldn't know tact if it bit him in the ass. That's probably the longest sentence that I've heard him say that wasn't related to the Goa'uld.

"That's so sweet Teal'c." Sam replies.

"O'Neill said that it was not 'sweet' but it was in fact the truth." Teal'c informs the group. I make a mental note to thank Teal'c, before I throttle him.

"We all thought that Jack had a romantic streak. Now, thanks to Teal'c, we've just got some confirmation." Jacob exclaims, and I have the sudden urge to bang my head against a brick wall, or the table, but Sam would kill me if I broke the 'good' china.

Sam leans over to me, and quietly whispers, "I happen to like your romantic streak." You gotta love that girl, well, I do.

"Hey, you two!" The doc exclaims, pointing her index finger at Sam and I. "If you wanna whisper, then the least you could do is go and get our next course while you do." She says, smiling.

"Fine then." I say. "Come on Angel, before theses barbarians start banging their cutlery on the good table cloth." I tell Sam, smiling at the amused looks that everyone else giving us.

We stand up and head for the kitchen, just in time to hear Teal'c ask, "Daniel Jackson, why did O'Neill call us barbarians when we are in fact a civilised culture?" He asks, and I look back to see Daniel shaking his head.

~*+*~

"So, what's for the main course?" I ask, stirring the rice that is bubbling away merrily on the stove. Sam is learning to cook, and doing rather well, but when it comes to cooking rice she either makes it too soggy or it's too hard. She declared that it was something 'best left to an expert', hence the reason that I'm on rice duty tonight.

"Beef stroganoff, and your rice, or chicken stroganoff, and your rice. My mother used to make it because they're easy to prepare and she could cook them in the microwave." She tells me, smiling at the memory.

"Okay, then why are we using the stove instead of the microwave?" I ask, amused.

"Because whenever mum made it, dad would say that it was a slap happy meal. This is a dinner party not a football game." She laughs, pulling on the oven mitts and taking the first bowl through to the living room.

~*+*~

"I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the chef. Major Carter, your meal was most pleasing." Teal'c bows, setting his knife and fork down on the side of his plate. I guess Danny boy's been teaching him some 'classy' dining techniques.

"Thank you, Teal'c. It's not that hard to cook." She smiles. "And Jack did the rice." She admits, taking my hand under the table.

"Are you planning on telling me what this announcement is?" Dad asks, rather impatiently. I guess it something that run's in the Carter family.

"You wanna tell them or should I?" She asks. I smile and nod at her and she continues. "Well, Jack and I are engaged and we're pregnant." She announces proudly, her smile bigger than the Grand Canyon.

Everyone, with the exception of Janet, stares at us, blinking madly. "Really?" Dad asks, and Sam and I both nod, a little concerned by their silence.

Daniel, Teal'c and General Hammond all offer their congratulations, exclaiming how happy they are for us. Cassie squeals excitedly and hugs first myself and then Sam, demanding to feel the baby. Sam laughs and tries to explain to the young girl that there won't be any movement for a few months. Sam glances at her father worriedly, his silence worrying her. Jacob suddenly looks very concerned and creases his brow in confusion.

"Dad?" Sam almost whispers, worried that he won't approve. I know he will, I asked him if I could marry his daughter, call me old fashioned if you will, but I have to admit that I'm a little worried that he may have changed his mind. After all, I wouldn't let my daughter marry a lunatic like me.

"Sorry sweetheart, Selmac wanted to know how Jack could be pregnant. You said 'we're' pregnant and she was a little confused. She was also a little concerned that I could end up with child if Jack could." He explains, and I have to cough to cover my laughter. "I'm happy for you both." He smiles and Sam looks relieved.

"Is it a girl or a boy?" Cassie asks, returning to her, in between Janet and Hammond's, seat once more

"We don't know Cass, it'll be a while before we can tell." I explain and she looked disappointed.

"Have you thought of any names yet?" She asks, sounding more excited than Sam and I. No, on second thought, that's not possible.

"Not yet, but you'll be the first to know if we do." Sam promises and her eyes light up.

"Good." She nods.

"Actually, since this is an evening of announcements, I'd like to share something." Daniel tells us and all attention turns to him. "Janet, Cassie and I are moving in together." He smiles.

"Daniel, you dog!" I say in mock horror. Sam and Teal'c stare at me for a moment, both recalling the last time I said that.

"What?" The man in question asks.

"Nothing, Daniel, Jack is just trying to tease you. What he meant to say is that he's very pleased for you and he hopes, like I do, that you will be very happy together." Sam replies, sending me a pointed look.

I sigh dramatically. "What I meant to say is that I'm very pleased for you and I hope, like Sam does, that you will be very happy together." I repeat, dutifully.

The others agree with me and Sam stands. "Want a hand?" I offer and she nods, picking up a few of the plates while I take the rest. Janet offers to help, but Sam declines, probably due to the state of our kitchen.

I follow her and we both wordlessly place the plates down and she pulls out the mud cake and cream from the fridge, while I rinse the dishes.

~*+*~

Jack and my daughter seem to have ritual. None of us pretend to understand it, or the bond that they share. But the compilation CD that Sam had put on earlier for background noise turns to a slow song and they look at each other, smile and in unison mutter; "Dance with me."

I watch, delighted, as my daughter dances with her husband to be, wrapped securely in his arms and barely moving. The soft tune plays in the background as we all smile at the scene before us.

Daniel and Janet are sitting on top of one another in one of the armchair's while the rest of are spread out over the lounge and the other chair.

Soft heavenly eyes
Gaze into me
Transcending space and time
And I was rendered still
There were no words for me to find at all As I stood there beside myself
I could see you and no-one else

I smile happily as my Sammy looks peaceful, completely content in Jack's arms. As I watch them, I'm satisfied that she may have finally found the right man for her, the one that will love her unconditionally and without rules.

When I saw you
When I saw you
I could not breathe
I felt so deep
Oh- when I saw you
When I saw you
I could not be
I'd never be the same

When Jack came to see me on Vorash and asked if he could marry my daughter, I swear he was shaking. He was so afraid that I would say no, that I couldn't help but tease him for a moment. I remember telling him that I had to 'think about it' before I answered.

He was so positively petrified that I couldn't keep a straight face, I burst out laughing at the expression he wore. Selmac, who for this evening has been silently observing some more of our mannerisms, told me that I was being mean to him. She took control of my body and put him out of his misery. Telling him what my fit's of laughter wouldn't allow me to.

Once in a lifetime, love rushes in
changing you with the tide
and dawns ribbon of light, bursts through the dark wakening you inside
and I thought it was all untrue
Until there all at once I knew

Sam takes her head off Jack's shoulder to look at him, her eye's alight with a passion that I've not see in her before. They share a brief kiss before her head returns to his shoulder.

When I saw you
When I saw you
I could not breathe
I felt so deep
Oh- when I saw you
When I saw you
I could not be
I'd never be the same

The happy expressions on our face turn to pure terror as Sam clutches her stomach in pain and collapses, Jack's arms the only thing that are supporting her now unconscious body.

With no beginning and without an end
You are the one for me
And it's evident
And your eyes told me so
Oh oh yeah
Your eyes let me know

The last of the song plays out, but none of us hear it as we scramble towards our cars, Janet on her cell phone, calling the hospital so that they expect us, and are prepared. Jack carrying Sam out, refusing to let go of her and the rest of us follow, scared to death.

When I saw you
When I saw you
I could not breathe
I felt so deep
Oh- when I saw you
When I saw you
I could not be
I'd never be the same

~*+*~

Sorry about the ending, feedback brings the next part along faster. :)

The End

Never try to give yourself a haircut after three Marguerita's.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Venom_69