Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Jasmine (01/08)

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Jasmine (01/08)

Jasmine (01/08)

by Ruth

Summary: On her twenty-eighth birthday, Sam meets a man who will forever change her life.
Category: Drama, Romance
Season: pre-series
Pairing: Sam/other
Rating: PG
Warnings: adult themes
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/13/03

Title: Jasmine (01/08)

Rating: R

Spoilers: None

Summary: On her twenty-eighth birthday, Samantha Carter meets a man who will forever change her life.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

Song lyrics copyright (c) Ricky Martin, they're not mine!

Author Notes: Yep, I'm writing another JH fic. Sorry, but the character's just too damn interesting! Please send feedback to samcarterusaf@yahoo.co.uk

~ Jasmine (01/08) ~

By Ruth

Samantha Leigh Carter had just turned twenty-eight. She had no boyfriend, her family were unable to see her that day and she was getting older.

With a sigh, she pulled on her long black coat and checked her make-up. There was only one solution to a dilemma like this - go out and get completely wrecked, hopefully picking up a man or two on the way.

Sam didn't do this very often at all, but she was lonely. It was her birthday, and again she had no one to celebrate it with.

Most of her birthdays had been like this since her mother passed away, thirteen years ago. Her father, Jacob, had always tried his best, but his work was always a dominating factor in everything they did, so the celebrations were much less enjoyable.

Her brother, Mark, was in the hospital with his wife, who was in labour with their third child. That was why he couldn't be there that night. Sam smiled at the memory of her niece and nephew. Their names were Charlotte and James.

Charlotte was 2 years James' senior, and James was four. They were the closest things to her own children - although she had none.

Her father Jacob was, as usual, working. Where, she did not know, because it was classified. He had always managed to get a day off for her birthday until three years ago, when she had almost become estranged from the family. Mark and Jacob had hardly spoken since her mother died, and it was tearing their family apart from the inside.

She herself had been very busy. She was currently holding the rank of Lieutenant in the United States Air Force. Her work was hard, and often marred with sexual discrimination, but she was able to do something that made her happy - she flew planes. When Sam was behind the controls of a plane, all her worries and troubles disappeared - she was as free as a bird.

She had a reputation for being a bit mischievous - she often ran into trouble with her superior officers. Her current commanding officer, Colonel Jason Betts, had told her that the only reason she hadn't been promoted to Captain was her attitude, her rejection of authority.

Her flashback ended, and she was once more alone in her small bungalow. With a sigh, she pulled her coat around her and stepped outside into the night, locking the front door behind her. She was headed for the nearest bar in town - O'Malleys.

"Beer, please," Sam said to the barman, sitting down on a stool and looking around her.

The bar was fairly quiet. There was a group of loud females sitting at a table in the opposite corner of the bar; a few other people dotted around the room and a solitary man seated just two seats away from her.

From what she could see, he was young. His hair was a sort of ginger-brown colour, his eyes a beautiful shade of brown. He was drinking from a shot of vodka. He looked as bored and without place as she did.

She turned her attention back to her beer, unaware that he was now looking at her, eyeing her up the way she had done with him a moment ago.

She was young, definitely still in her twenties. Her hair was short and blonde and her eyes were the most beautiful, shimmering blue colour that he'd ever seen. He wondered why she was alone, a pretty young thing like her.

He was about to look away when she looked up at him. With sudden embarrassment, they both looked away and concentrated on their drinks. However, after a couple of seconds they made eye contact again. He smiled at her, and she smiled back. She had a gorgeous smile.

"Hi," he said, "I'm...Jonas."

She smiled again. "I'm Sam. Nice to meet you."

She blushed, trying to hide it with her hand. He did the same, but couldn't really hide it.

"What're you doing here?" he asked.

She swallowed a gulp of beer. Jonas instantly thought that it was very sexy.

"I'm trying to get drunk. You?"

"Same," he replied, gesturing to his shot.

"Ah. Well, what else do people try to do in a bar?" she asked, with a small laugh.

"Get laid," said Jonas after a pause that spoke volumes about what the two of them were thinking.

Sam cleared her throat. "How come you're here trying to get drunk?"

"I...uh...I don't have a girlfriend, I hate my job, my family hate me......do I have to elaborate?"

"No," said Sam, taking a sip of beer. "If it's any consollation, I'm here because I don't have a boyfriend, my job tires the crap out of me, it's my birthday and my dad can't be here, my brother's in hospital with his wife having another baby..."

Jonas snorted. "Maybe I don't have it so bad. Happy birthday, by the way. Mind if I ask how old?"

"Twenty," Sam replied with a small smile.

"Aren't we all?" asked Jonas, ordering another shot from the barman and quickly drinking it.

Just then, some music began playing softly from the back of the bar.

There you are,

In a darkened room,

And you're all alone,

Looking out the window,

Your heart is cold and lost the will to love -

Like a broken arrow

Jonas grunted and swallowed yet another vodka shot from the bar. Sam was still on her first beer - she was out of practice with the 'getting pissed' scene.

Here I stand in the shadows

Come to me, Come to me

Can't you see that

"What d'ya do?" Jonas asked her suddenly, startling her.

"Sorry?" she asked.

"For work? What d'ya do for work?"

"Oh...I work for the Air Force, actually."

Jonas gulped. "Really? That is so strange - so do I."

Well, Sam thought, what a coincidence! You should definitely get his number...

Nobody wants to be lonely

Nobody wants to cry

My body's longing to hold you

so bad it hurts inside

Time is precious and it's slipping away

and I've been waiting for you all of my life

Nobody wants to be lonely so why

Why don't you let me love you

"I'm actually part of a top-secret project," Jonas swaggered. He was clearly drunk.

"Really?" Sam asked.

"Yep. I'm part of a team called SG - uh...something...we go through this huuuuuuuge puddle to other galaxies!"

Sam swallowed and bit her lip. How did he know about the Stargate? He just told you - he works at the SGC! She thought. She had to get him out of there before some of the world's most closely guarded secrets were let out. The barman looked at him curiously.

"A puddle?"

"Yep. It's huuuge!"

Sam laughed nervously. "He's drunk!"

The barman nodded. "You're telling me! No more for you, mate!"

Can you hear my voice

Do you hear my song

It's a serenade

So your heart can find me

"Come on," said Sam, awkwardly trying to get him off of the stool, "I'll call you a cab."

"Awww...I was liking it here!"

"You can't be that drunk!" Sam said in his ear, making him laugh.

And suddenly you're flying down the stairs

Into my arms, baby

Before I start going crazy

Run to me, Run to me

Cause I'm dying

A short while later, Sam had succeeded in getting Jonas out of the bar and into a taxi.

"It was nice meeting you, Jonas."

"You too. Ya know, you're really pretty..."

"Now you really are drunk!"

"Here," he said, handing her a card with his phone number on it, "Take it."

"Thanks," she smiled, shutting the door, "I will."

I want to feel you deeply

Just like the air you're breathing

I need you here in my life

Don't walk away, don't walk away

don't walk away, don't walk away

No, no, no, no

Sam watched with a feeling of sadness as the cab drove away. Dammit, why did he have to go and get drunk? She was enjoying herself. Still - she had his number, which was more than she'd gotten in a long while.

Nobody wants to be lonely

Nobody wants to cry

Nobody wants to be lonely

I don't want to be lonely

Nobody wants to cry

I don't want to cry

My body's longing to hold you

I'm longing to hold you

so bad it hurts inside

As she slowly began to walk down the darkened street back to her house, she could still hear that blasted Ricky Martin song playing in her head.

Time is precious and it's slipping away

and I've been waiting for you all of my life

Nobody wants to be lonely so why

Why don't you let me love you

She'd just met a man that she liked, for the first time in ages, and yet she was still alone. Not even alcohol could dull the pain of that fact.

Alone.

She looked down at the card in her hand and a small smile played around her mouth. Alone maybe, but not for much longer.

TO BE CONTINUED...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth