Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Memento

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Memento

Memento

by Ruth

Summary: Sam's suffering from amnesia and Jack and Janet are avoiding her, along with the rest of the base - but why?
Category: Angst, Future Story, Mystery
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Janet
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/06/04

Title: Memento

Feedback: jm-webmistress@fsmail.net

Rating: R (Violence, Mild Language)

Spoilers: None

Summary: Sam's suffering from amnesia and Jack and Janet are avoiding her. Why?

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead is coincidental and not intended by the author.

Details: Angst, Jack/Janet, Hurt/Comfort, Sam/Teal'c friendship, Future Story

Archive: My site, Heliopolis, Gateworld, Fanfiction.net, SG1hc

~ Memento ~

Copyright Ruth, 2003

**********

"General Hammond, sir! Incoming wormhole, unknown source!"

Hammond looked straight ahead and his jaw clenched. There was always the chance that a member of his team had been stranded offworld without their GDO, in desperate need of help. There was also the chance that the Goa'uld were on the other side, just waiting for the chance to strike at the heart of the Tau'ri base.

He sighed, and slammed his fist down on the table.

"Open it," he said.

"B...but sir," Sergeant Davis stammered..."I..."

At that moment, a very pregnant Janet Fraiser entered the control room and looked anxiously around her.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Doctor, please go back outside," Hammond said gently.

"What are you doing?" Colonel O'Neill asked, standing behind Janet and placing a reassuring arm on her shoulder.

"I'm going to open it," Hammond said determinedly, "Sergeant, open the iris or I'll do it myself."

"Yes, sir," Sergeant Davis said, his hand reaching for the pressure pad that opened the iris. Jack's hand shot out and grabbed his wrist before he could press it.

"Colonel O'Neill, stand down!" Hammond roared angrily. Jack's hand refused to budge.

"What are you doing, General?" Jack asked, "This could be a Goa'uld attack!"

"It could be Major Carter," Hammond said softly, looking out at the gate.

"WHAT?" Jack exploded, "You always told me not to..."

"She's gone, General," Janet said, "Please - just accept that she's gone."

"I'm sorry, doctor," Hammond said, "But I've just...I've just got a feeling...Open it, Sergeant."

Reluctantly, Sergeant Davis opened the iris. As it slid open, Hammond held his breath. Airmen rushed into the gateroom with their guns and weaponry, crouching in defensive positions. They all waited with baited breath.

Janet shrank back into Jack's arms. He held her tightly - it was no use telling her to leave, she wouldn't anyway.

The gate was still for a few seconds, and then a lone figure emerged from it. She was clad in black combat gear, with long sleeves and her black combat boots. There was a rip in the left shoulder of the shirt, but she appeared otherwise unharmed.

It was Sam.

Slowly, she took in the airmen around her who had not lowered their weapons, and she raised her hands carefully in the air. Her eyes also rose up to the control room where she took in the appearance of her friends. General Hammond, proud and strong, Jack O'Neill, with...with his arms around her very pregnant best friend.

She swallowed, and lowered her eyes again, waiting for Hammond to call off the airmen.

"Stand down. Medical team to the gateroom," Hammond said, over the intercom. She lowered her hands, and concentrated on stopping the tears that were burning at the backs of her eyes. Jack and Janet? Surely not...I mean...how long had she been gone?

She stepped down roughly off of the ramp and looked around her with sore eyes. Nothing looked much different - the same marks on the wall where staff blasts had once landed, the same colours on the doors and the same uniforms on the airmen. If nothing had changed, then why did she feel like such a stranger?

How long had she been gone, and why? The look on Jack's face had not told her good news - he was clearly not expecting her to return.

Where had she been?

She put a hand to her throbbing temple and bit back a groan. Her hand came away sticky with blood. That was probably the reason that she was unable to remember anything. Her thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the medical team, who were soon ushering her back to the infirmary.

**********

Thankfully, the infirmary had not moved floors or changed much since she'd last been there. It had the same dreary walls, the same smell of medicated soap and...hospital and the same doctors moved around quietly in the same uniforms. She sat down on the nearest bed to her and patiently waited whilst an obviously new doctor carried out a brief examination. She closed her eyes and swallowed hard as a wave of nausea washed over her.

Just as she opened her eyes, she saw General Hammond walk in, with Teal'c behind him. The jaffa's face broke into a gentle smile as he saw her.

"Major Carter, my dear friend," he said, giving her a small bow, "It is most good to see you again. You have been missed."

"Thanks, Teal'c," she replied, "Uh..."

One of the doctors rolled up her sleeve and gave a short gasp of surprise. Her arm was marred with a long scar that stretched from her bicep down to her pulse point. Several small scratches adorned her arm around the scar.

General Hammond frowned. "Major, how did you?..."

Sam swallowed again, as one of the doctors began to draw blood from her vein.

"I...I don't know, sir. I can't remember."

"You can't remember?" Hammond asked, "Do you know what day it is, Major?"

Sam shook her head miserably. "How long have I been away?" she asked, "It's all...gone."

"You were last seen heading out with SG-1 on a mission on March 3rd, 2002. It's now September 28th, 2010."

"2010?" Sam echoed in disbelief, "But...I..."

Hammond came closer to her as a couple of nurses attempted to lay her down on the bed.

"Enough, now, Major," he said, "Just get some rest - we'll talk more when you're feeling more like yourself."

Sam was about to argue when she realised that she was not in a position to do so.

"Yes, sir," she murmured, and tried to ignore the nurses that fussed around her.

**********

As Hammond lead the way out into the corridor, Teal'c stopped him.

"General, why are Colonel O'Neill and Janet Fraiser not here?" Teal'c asked, "They should be welcoming her return."

Hammond shook his head. "It's not that simple, Teal'c. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since Sam was last here - and if she really can't remember what happened to her..."

"Then we are indeed in an unenviable situation," Teal'c concluded.

"Yes, Teal'c," Hammond said. "I think it's best if we leave her to rest, see if she can remember anything."

"General, the marks on her arm were most disconcerting. I do not believe that she has had an enjoyable time of the past 8 years."

"I know, Teal'c," Hammond replied. "Hopefully the doctors will be able to shed some light on that. It's their job, and we'd best leave them to it. Goodnight."

Teal'c bowed his head. "Goodnight, General Hammond."

Then, he went in search of Colonel O'Neill and Janet Fraiser, still unable to comprehend their behaviour.

To Be Continued...

Author Notes: So, what do you think? Any good? Got any ideas? Please feel free to send feedback.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth