Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Lost Soul's and Broken Hearts Annonymous

by Dr Sarah Fraiser-Jackson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Lost Soul's and Broken Hearts Annonymous

Lost Soul's and Broken Hearts Annonymous

by Dr Sarah Fraiser-Jackson

Summary: Jack's thoughts during THAT scene from Affinity.
Category: Angst, Romance, Thoughts
Episode Related: 807 Affinity
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Sam/Pete
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2005-03-15

Authors Note: Thanks for Matty for betaing and deleting all my comma's-I have a comma addiction and am not afraid to say so VBG!

~~x~~

Jack O'Neill, not so long appointed commander of the SGC, was making his way towards Sam Carter's lab. A thing he had not done on a casual basis for a while, it was either 'I need you to come up with a gadget to save the world yet again' or 'Feldger has blown up his lab again, please sort it out before the vain in my forehead explodes!'

Sam was sitting at her desk, not an unusual event in itself but she was sitting at her desk and staring at the screen of her computer, not actually working on the computer but simply staring at the screen.

"Carter." Jack said causing her to jump a little.

"Sir."

That was odd, Sam was normally a very focussed person.

"I never thought I'd hear myself utter these words: I need that report."

"Right! Um, I just need to, er, finish typing up my notes." She started to rummage through the papers all over her desk. "Uh, yeah, I'll have it for you first thing tomorrow."

Something defiantly wasn't right, Sam never handed a report in late, normally it was two days before you even thought about needing a report that she handed it to you. She wasn't even aware of what the time was, not unusual when she was working on something important...but a report?

"It is tomorrow."

Sam looked at her watch, looking crestfallen she muttered an "oh."

Damn, so not the response he was hoping for. He had hoped to come in, make her smile that beautiful smile and send her to bed...her bed...in her house...alone.

"I'm joking! I don't need the report!"

"Well, then, why...?"

"Because something's going on with you. You haven't tried to confuse me with any scientific babble for the last couple of days and that's a red flag to me." Wow, O'Neill showing emotion! Getting soft in your old age?

Sam sighed and picked up a small velvet box.

"Pete gave me this." She handed the box to Jack; he took it and opened it. Inside the box was a beautiful ring. Jack started to panic inside, he thought he'd never see the day Sam got engaged to another man, sure it was possible but he never thought he'd loose her for good.

Jack O'Neill would die a bitter, cynical old man all alone at his cabin...maybe he'd get a dog.

"People normally wear these on their fingers." The picture of cool, calm and collectedness.

"I haven't said yes." Could be good, could be bad.

"And yet-you haven't said no." He snapped the box shut. That's it, any last shred of hope he had had, had just disappeared in a puff of smoke, dissolved into steam and was carried away by the crappy air-conditioning shafts along with the remains of his broken heart. If she really loved him, had any idea how much he loved her and pined for her like a little lost puppy she would have said no. They could have found a way, anyway would be better than this. No, it was defiantly decided Sam deserved a life outside of work; she deserved a chance at a life and at happiness. They'd danced around the subject for eight long years, if she was willing to start a life then he was more than happy to let her. Hell, if Pete was going to make her happy then Jack would back him up 100%.

"I told him I needed to think about it." She continued.

"And?" Jack asked putting the box on her desk.

"That was two weeks ago."

"Ah!"

"You know, all these years I've been concentrating on work, I just assumed that one day I would..."

"Have a life?" He finished. He knew that feeling all to well.

"Yeah!"

"Yeah."

"And now it comes down to it, I don't know. I mean, every time we go through the Gate, we risk not coming back. Is it fair to put somebody else through that?" Why is she asking him this?

"Pete is a cop, I think he could handle it." After all, she did insist on his clearance.

"What about kids?" Not a sore subject at all.

"What about 'em?"

"Do I take maternity leave and then come back? What, do I drop the baby off at day-care on my way to some unexplored planet on the edge of the Crab Nebula?"

"Carter, there are people on this base who have families." Plenty of them. Good and honest people that stare into the face of danger on a weekly basis and still make all the school plays and parents evenings.

The room went into silence, as both were lost in thought. She looked up into his eyes.

"What about you? If things had been different..." She trailed off.

'You'd have the ring left to me by my grandmother on your finger, we'd be married in a month and I'd have retired long ago. A long, long time ago."

"I wouldn't be here." The truth, in more ways than one.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Dr Sarah Fraiser-Jackson