Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Each Man's Life Part 4: Blood and Water

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Each Man's Life Part 4: Blood and Water

Each Man's Life Part 4: Blood and Water

by Ruth

Summary: Nathaniel and Elena Kawalsky have been married for 3 years when Charlie finds out she's been having an affair, and Leila finds herself on trial after breaking one of the Ascended beings' highest laws.
Category: Action/Adventure, Challenge, Drama
Season: Season 1
Pairing: Jack/Sam, other pairing
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language, violence, none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 09/05/03

Title: Each Man's Life Part 4: Blood and Water

Rating: PG-13

Spoilers: Children of the Gods, The Enemy Within, In the Line of Duty, Point of View, and Foothold

Archive: Heliopolis, Gateworld, Paradise Lost, Fanfiction.net, SJD yes, Jackfic Details: The story of Charles Kawalsky's life, beginning before 101 Children of the Gods.

Response to Heliopolis Challenge #654

It's simple, I want a Kawalsky story, or at least with him in it and that he doesn't die, if ya get him involved with someone EVEN better:). And please NO humour. E-mail me, please, if yer gonna write it.

Response to Heliopolis challenge #1,360

Story with a Bible quote in the beginning. And let it make some sense after reading the story.

Summary: Nathaniel and Elena Kawalsky have been married for three years when Charlie discovers that she has been having an affair. Also, Leila finds herself on trial after breaking one of the Ascended beings' highest laws.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognisable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment not monetary purposes and no infringement on copyrights or trademarks was intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyrighted to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author.

~ Each Man's Life Part 4: Blood and Water ~

Copyright (c) 2003 Ruth

IMPORTANT: My email address has changed samcarterusaf@yahoo.co.uk is NO LONGER ACTIVE. My new address is jm-webmistress@fsmail.net Please update your address books accordingly. Thank you.

'Show me, O Lord, my life's end

and the number of my days;

let me know how fleeting is my life.

You have made my days a mere handbreadth

The span of my years is nothing before you

Each man's life is but a breath.'

Psalm 39:4-6

Dear diary,

Nate and Elena's third wedding anniversary today - what am I going to get them for a present? Hell, do they even deserve one? I never even get a Christmas present, for God's sake, and they're expecting me to buy them one? Aagh! I remember their wedding like it was yesterday - thankfully it wasn't.

"I can't believe I'm finally doing this!" Nate gushed, as Charlie attempted to straighten his tie.

"Neither can I," Charlie replied, trying to hide his sarcasm. Fortunately, Nate didn't notice.

"She's so beautiful, and she really loves me!" Nathan continued.

"Hm," Charlie said, pulling his brother's suit straighter. "When's the best man getting here?"

"He should be here any moment," Nathan replied, "Listen, Charlie. I hope you don't take offence that I didn't choose you..."

"None taken, mate," Charlie replied, observing himself with disdain in the mirror. He was trussed up like a turkey, and really had more important places to be.

"His name's Brad - I think you'll really like him," Nathan said.

"What does he do?" Charlie asked.

"Oh, he's a surgeon. I get to work with him a lot," Nate replied.

Great, Charlie thought, another boffin who's going to think that I'm a retard!

"Did you invite anybody?" Nathan asked curiously, studying his brother with a keen eye.

Charlie suddenly thought of Jack sitting in the middle of the aisle, booing loudly as Elena walked down it. He smirked.

"No," he said, "I don't think your fiance would approve of my common friends."

Nathan glared at him. "What is your problem with her?" he asked.

"Nothing, nothing," Charlie said, turning away. She's just an arrogant, precocious bitch who looks down her nose at everybody.

The service was average - I must admit that I almost fell asleep at several points, and I had to mouth the hymns because my voice is so terrible, but after ninety minutes the ordeal was over and I could escape into the sunlight outside of the church.

The reception went on for about five hours - I tried to be nice, tried to hook up with someone, but as you know I'm not so good with women, so I ended up going home, pissed and alone, and not for the first time.

So, three years on - and what have I achieved compared to my wonderful brother?

Well. I've almost been killed, twice, I've dealt with Sam becoming infested with a symbiote like myself, an alternate reality version of myself coming through the gate, a foothold situation and more! It's a great shame I can't tell my stupid family all of this, because then they'd know that I have achieved lots.

But no, I just say that work is fine, and that no, I don't have a girlfriend or 'significant other.'

Nathaniel, however, is like wonderboy. He's been promoted, is now earning a disgusting amount of money per month, keeps buying Elena really expensive things, and is hopeful to start a family in the near future.

She and he can do no wrong. That's my job, apparently. Ah, family life!

C.K.

"You have broken one of our highest laws, Leila. They are in place for a reason!"

"I understand that."

"Then why did you break it? The two Tau'ri you assisted would have chosen their own paths, be it life or death, but you interfered. Why?"

"They were too young to face the path of death," Leila replied, "They are good people, and deserve to live long lives."

"If it is their destiny to die, Leila, then it will happen. You have averted it once, but you may not be able to do so again. What are the lives of two Tau'ri worth in the greater scheme of life?"

"The Tau'ri believe that every life is sacred," Leila argued, "And I happen to agree with them."

"Leila, we believe that every life is sacred - and every soul must be allowed to chose their own path!"

"They were dying!" Leila said, "I'm sorry, but I couldn't just sit there and watch."

"It is not our job to save lives," Oma continued, "I can understand why you did it, Leila, but it was wrong."

"You don't understand," she said.

"You have become close to the Tau'ri warrior Charles Kawalsky," Oma said. Leila swallowed nervously.

Charlie looked at his watch. It read 22:00. He opened the car door, got out, and then shut it behind him, cursing as the aged vehicle groaned under the force of the slam.

"Piece of crap," he mumbled, walking into the bar.

I don't have a drink problem. Really, I don't. I'm never in the bar long enough to have a drink problem - I always leave because of work or some family commitment - not that any of them give a damn.

No. I'm no alcoholic. I'm just like every other ordinary man or woman - I take solace in drink.

C.K.

He went in and gave the barman his usual smile, the wave of acknowledgement.

Then, he went and sat down at his table in the corner, watching the world go by.

He could hear the men in the booth opposite him talking about soccer. Boring load of bastards, he thought. Got nothing better to do than sit around all day whilst I'm saving the planet...

He took a long gulp of his drink and looked around him again. That was when he heard something. A voice. A voice that he knew well.

Or, more accurately, a laugh.

A highly irritating and musical laugh, that drifted towards him like cigarette smoke in the air.

Elena.

What the hell was Elena doing in a grubby downtown bar? And who was she with? It certainly wasn't Nathaniel...

He sneaked a peek around the corner of the booth, and his eyes nearly fell out of his head.

It was definitely Elena, and she was sitting with a tall, ginger-haired bloke with a nose ring and green eyes. She wasn't just sitting with him, oh no.

His left arm was around her waist, and his right was doing something that Charlie really didn't want to think about. She giggled, and whispered something in his ear. As he looked at her hand, Charlie realised that her wedding ring was gone.

The bitch. Of all the spiteful...She was cheating on Nathan! They'd only been married for three years!

I still can't quite believe what I saw tonight. Man, I was so shocked - I just got up and left my drink standing there on the table. I never leave a drink standing on a table. As I left, I turned back around to make sure I wasn't having a drunken hallucination (which would be quite an achievement, as I only had half a pint of larger) and she looked straight at me. With that smile almost like a snarl, her eyes glinted as they locked with mine. She smirked, and kissed the man beside her. With that, I turned and left.

What a bitch. I have to tell Nathan - but - oh, hell! Why is it always me who gets involved in these things? AGH!

C.K.

"I know of him," Leila replied calmly.

"You have visited him many times," Oma said, "You know more than 'of him', Leila."

"He was near death," Leila said, "I offered him what little comfort I could give."

"It is not your job, Leila. We have no right to affect their lives. Unless there is something...deeper, that you wish to confess to."

Leila blushed. "No. No, of course not."

Oma smiled. "We have no problem with love, Leila. But you must understand that what you did was against our laws - and you will be punished."

"Yes, I understand," Leila said.

"Now. Why don't you take us through what's been going on," Oma said, "From the beginning."

"Well...It all started when he was ill for the first time - I saw him lying on the floor - I thought he was dead, but then he moved."

Charlie got home and pulled off his jacket, reaching for the telephone. He was halfway through dialling the number when he stopped, and replaced the phone. It wasn't fair to tell him like this - he had to do it in person.

He got up, and was about to put his coat back on when the telephone rang.

"Kawalsky," he answered, picking at a hole in his couch.

"Hey, Charlie!" Jack's cheery voice answered.

"Hey, Jack!" Charlie said, brightening a little, "How's the leg?"

"Ah, it's been better - but it's been worse," his friend replied.

"How's Sam?" Charlie asked, a smile playing around the corners of his mouth.

Back in the kitchen of his house, Jack put his hands on his hips, almost dropping the phone.

"Just exactly what are you implying, Major?" he asked.

"Oh, nothing. Hope you haven't worn her out."

"Charlie," Jack snarled "We haven't..."

"Oh, okay. Sure, Jack - I believe you - of course I believe you."

"Bull - anyway, we've gone a little off-topic here. I wanted to invite you round - we're having a barbecue."

"Sweet - what, now? At 10:30pm?"

"Yeah," Jack said, "You got a problem with that, Charlie? I haven't eaten any decent food in weeks!"

"No," Charlie laughed, "I'll be right there. I take it Sam will be there too?"

Jack lowered his voice a little. "Of course - d'ya really think I'm doing the washing up?"

Charlie snorted, and grinned. "Give me 10, Jack. See you then - bye."

With a chuckle, he pulled on his coat and left his house, all thoughts of Elena banished from his mind.

He arrived at Jack's house at about 11pm. He could already see some of his neighbours looking out of their windows and shaking their heads.

"Come in," Jack said, shutting the door behind him.

"Hi Sam!" Charlie called.

"Hey!" she replied, flashing him one of her brilliant smiles.

"So...what do you think of this midnight barbecue fiasco?" Charlie grinned, as Jack smarted.

"It's fine with me - we're nocturnal creatures, anyway - aren't we?" She directed the question at Charlie, but it was Jack who replied.

"Oh, yeah."

Charlie snorted and feigned disgust. Sam blushed, and smacked Jack on the arm with a dishcloth.

"Go away!" she said.

"Sorry," she added, looking at Charlie with embarrassment, "Would you like a beer?"

"Yeah," he said, his mind suddenly flashing back to his confrontation with Elena in the bar.

"Then, his body became inhabited by a Goa'uld symbiote. He injured one of his friends, but without meaning to. He could see everything that was going on, but was powerless to stop it. I had to help him - he was losing his mind."

"Go on."

"I spoke to him - I sat up with him during the long nights where the symbiote would not allow him sleep or rest. I tried to comfort him."

"Leila - there are hundreds of Tau'ri inhabited by Goa'ulds each day - why did you feel that you had to help this one?"

"I...I cannot explain. I - I felt drawn to him."

She bowed her head for a moment, trying to regain hold of her emotions.

"He was in great distress. He was too young - I did not believe that it was his time!"

After they'd eaten, Charlie, Jack and Sam sat down on the couch with their beers, talking.

"...And then I said...Lieutenant, get your ass back here now!"

Sam frowned. "Charlie? Are you alright? You haven't said much - you look kinda down."

"What's wrong?" Jack asked.

Charlie sighed and looked up at his two friends. Damn them for caring so much.

"I...well...you know my brother's wife - Elena?"

"The super-bitch? Yeah."

"Well...I was in a bar earlier this evening and I saw her there..."

"Oh, bad luck mate!" Jack said, taking another gulp of beer.

"She was with another man. They were...they were getting as intimate as it is possible to get in a bar."

"Oh my God!" said Sam, her hand flying to her mouth. "Are you sure?"

"Swear on my life," Charlie said, "I got up and left - but when I turned back, she just looked right at me and smiled - like she was daring me to say something."

Jack blew out a long breath. "You gonna tell Nathan?"

"How can I not?" Charlie asked, gulping more of his beer. "I doubt he'll even believe me."

"Well, believe you or not, he'll find out the truth before long," Sam said, "These things have a way of being found out."

"We're right behind ya, buddy," Jack said, clapping an arm on his shoulder, "All the way."

"Thanks," Charlie said, "What would I do without you?"

"Go slowly insane and kill your family?" Sam asked, with a small smile.

"I think I'm doin' that anyway," Charlie grunted.

"I think that everyone has trouble with their family," Sam said, "I mean, my God - I know I do."

"Really?" Charlie asked, "How come?"

"Well, ever since my mom died, my brother's hardly spoken to my dad and vice versa. If we have a family get-together, getting them to talk and be civil is like trying to part the Red Sea with a plastic spoon."

"Jeez," Charlie said, "I never had any idea."

"Yeah, well. I hardly see them anyway. Mark hardly speaks to me - dad only speaks to me to ask about work, or Mark, or Mark's kids."

"Sounds like my mom," Jack said. "Every time she rings, its: When are you going to settle down and have babies? When are you going to quit that disgusting job? I have lots of friends whose daughters would love to meet you..."

Charlie barked a laugh. "Blind date a la Mrs O'Neill? Oh, God, Jack -stop!"

"You think it's funny? Ya know, I actually met one of these 'daughters' once. Her name was Carol or something like that - she was a lawyer! Made me feel like a total retard - I think her IQ was three times my weight or something obscene like that!"

Sam laughed. "You've never mentioned any of this before."

"Neither have you. Thought it'd make y'all laugh, though. I'm expecting a phonecall any day now."

"Be sure to fill us in," Charlie said.

"What? So you can mock me?" Jack asked.

"Hell, yah!" Charlie replied, putting his bottle down on the floor and laughing again.

"When he was freed of the symbiote, he asked me if I'd had anything to do with it. Hell, he practically accused me of putting it in him."

"Why do you think he did this?"

"He was angry - he lashed out. All the time he was begging me to help him - I just told him that I couldn't, I could only talk to him."

"Then why did you break this later on?"

"Two of his best friends were injured in combat with Apophis. Badly. They were near death - and he couldn't do anything to help them. He put on a brave face, but underneath he was terrified that he'd never see them again."

"Maybe it was meant to be."

"His friends - the man and the woman - they were in love. They'd only just confessed it, and then they were going to die. So soon, so young. It wasn't fair! Charlie kept telling me that I had the power to help them, I knew it - and I wasn't doing anything to help them. He was right!"

"So...you just decided to heal them?"

"I didn't heal them. They were still mortally wounded."

"But they didn't die, did they, Leila? What exactly did you do to them?"

"I've gotta go," Charlie said, "But thanks for this evening - it put me in a much better mood."

"No problem - you call either of us if you need anything."

"Will do - thanks, guys."

"No problem!"

Yes, I will tell Nate. I have to. He deserves to know. Part of me can't blame Elena - I mean, if I'd married a man who only talked about himself and how wonderful he was, I'd probably cheat on him too - or divorce him. But the other half is still hurting. Nate is my brother, after all, and he doesn't deserve to be treated this way.

We all have our shortcomings - Nathan's is his self-obsession. I'm sure there's a woman out there who'll take care of him - but it sure as hell isn't Elena.

C.K.

The next morning, Charlie got up and looked out of the window to see rain.

Black, driving lines thrashed at the glass, draping the landscape in darkness.

What a perfect day to tell his brother that his wife was cheating on him.

He got up and went into the bathroom, brushing his teeth and having a shave. He remembered the previous night with Jack and Sam, and smiled. A vision of Jack on 'blind date' was still fresh in his mind.

His mind wandered to Leila suddenly. He'd not seen her since that dreadful night on Apophis' homeworld, when he felt certain that Jack and Sam were going to die, right there in front of him.

They'd argued - he'd been terribly bitter. He'd not seen her since. With a sigh, he looked at himself in the mirror.

"I'm sorry, Leila."

Leila awoke to find herself in a small, white room. She knew she was being kept here whilst the others decided her punishment. Why they couldn't do it in front of her, she didn't know. It was annoying knowing that her fate was being discussed and she had no input.

With a distressed sigh, she sat up. She had no way of contacting Charlie inside this box. Her heart lurched at the thought of him, and she touched a hand to it.

Charlie.

My lord - she was actually falling in love. Something she'd never deemed possible.

Charlie's car pulled up outside Nathan's house around midday. He got slowly out of the battered vehicle and walked at an even slower pace to the front door.

He knocked twice, and felt a lump in his throat as Elena answered the door.

"Yes?" she asked, a wry smile playing at the corners of her mouth.

Charlie narrowed his eyes at her.

"I'm here to see my brother. Would you grant me entrance to your castle, Madame?" he asked, giving her a mocking bow.

She put her hands on her hips, and tossed her luxurious hair. She lowered her voice and smirked.

"You can try telling him, sweetheart - but who do you think he's going to believe? Me, his beautiful wife - or you, his tramp of a brother?"

Charlie gritted his teeth as he shoved past her, bending down to whisper in her ear:

"There's only one tramp around here - and it sure as hell ain't me."

She smiled irritatingly, and closed the door.

"Why don't you just try?" she asked.

"Do you realise how heartbroken he'll be?" Charlie asked in a fierce whisper.

"I promise you, Charles," she drawled, "There's only one thing that'll be broken by the end of this meeting - and I reckon it'll be your nose."

Well, she was right. Only one thing was broken - and yup, it was my nose.

After I staggered out of the house, blood running down my face, I tried to call Jack, only to find that he wasn't in. So I called Sam - thankfully she was.

Driving with a broken nose is actually a lot harder than it sounds.

C.K.

"Oh my God!" Sam said, as she took in the bloody and bruised man standing on her doorstep. "Charlie!"

He smiled apologetically as she ushered him inside.

"Sit down," she ordered, gently removing his coat. "Now. Tell me what happened," she said, whilst digging in her first aid kit.

So I did.

Charlie entered the living room and saw his brother sitting down, reading a newspaper.

"Charlie, mate!" he shouted happily, flinging his arms around his brother in a strangle-tight hold.

"Hi Nate," he replied, trying to distance himself.

"What can I do for you?" he asked, "Oh wow, this was totally unexpected! Elena's upstairs making herself look pretty- we're going out for a posh lunch."

Charlie thought that it would take a lot of effort to make Elena look pretty, but said nothing.

"How've you been?" Nate asked, "Found any hot chicks yet?"

"Not yet," Charlie smiled, though his brother was already beginning to wear down his patience.

"Ah well - there's life left in you yet, Charlie!"

He then proceeded to talk about himself, about the hospital and his patients.

Charlie helped himself to a seat, his hands twisting nervously.

"...so I told them that cardiovascular surgery was really the only option, and..."

"Nate, I really need to talk to you," Charlie said.

"Sure!" Nathan beamed, "About what?"

"Elena." Charlie ground the name out between his teeth.

"What about her?" Nathan asked, "How she's beautiful, charming, funny, intelligent..."

"Nathan, I...this isn't easy for me to say," Charlie began.

"What?" Nathan asked, clueless, "Do you fancy her or something?"

"No!" Charlie replied. "Listen, mate - I think. No, I know - she's been cheating on you."

Nathan was completely silent for a moment - a new record where he was concerned.

Then, he threw back his head and laughed, very loudly.

"Oh, Charlie, mate! You should have a medal!" he laughed, "Oh..."

"I'm being serious!" Charlie said, his anger rising, "Dammit, Nathan, listen to me!"

Nathan became serious again, and folded his arms. "I don't believe you."

"I was in the pub yesterday night. I saw her there, with another man. He was tall, he had ginger hair and a nose ring, and green eyes."

"She wouldn't cheat on me," Nathan said firmly.

"I saw her myself!" Charlie shouted, finally losing temper with his brother.

"I think you're lying! You're just jealous because I have a life - and you don't."

This time, it was Charlie's turn to laugh.

"Jealous? Jealous? I have a life, Nathan - why would I want yours?"

"Because mother loves me and Elena - she doesn't love you!" Nathan spat acidly.

"Elena," he said, "Is nothing but a tramp!"

He felt Nathan's fist connect with his nose almost immediately after he'd said the last word.

"HOW DARE YOU TALK ABOUT MY WIFE LIKE THAT?" Nathan asked, smashing his fist into Charlie's face again.

"It'sh trueh, dahm you, Nathan!" Charlie said, as blood began to pour from his nose.

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!" Nathan yelled, aiming another punch at his brother.

Sam picked up a cloth, wet it, and gently sponged it across the cut on his eyebrow.

"He sure whacked ya a bit," she said, tipping his head back a little further to stop his nose from bleeding.

"I think I notished," Charlie said, trying not to laugh at how nasal he sounded.

Sam sighed, and cleaned the blood off of his chin.

"At least you told him, Charlie. That's all you can do for the moment."

"Yeah, wisthout him breaking by dose agaihn."

"Lie back a bit more," Sam ordered, "It'll slow the blood flow down."

"Thatsh gonna leave a schar, righst?" He asked.

"Not as big as mine," she said proudly, lifting her shirt a little to reveal the scar on her side from the staff blast.

"Houcsh," Charlie sympathised.

"I'll call Jack," she said.

"Ahh, sho we'hre on firssht nahme termsh, are we?" he grinned, then promptly stopped because it hurt.

"Don't make me hurt you, Charlie," she said, in a softly menacing whisper.

"Yesh, ma'am."

"Leila, you may sit down," Oma said, as she entered the small room.

"Have you decided what to do with me?" Leila asked.

"I wanted to talk to you before the others," Oma said, "You have angered them more so than I."

"Oma - when I was healing them - why did you not stop me? You have stopped me before."

Oma smiled. "Let that be my knowledge, and mine alone. All you need to understand is that I did not stop you."

"I am sorry if I have troubled your relationship with the others," Leila said, "I meant no harm."

"Of course you did not, Leila. I understand that. What I want you to consider is if you have chosen the right path."

"I was wondering about that myself," she admitted.

"Leila, if you so wish, it would be possible for you to descend."

"But I would have no memories - no way of finding home, or anyone I knew."

Oma smiled. "Wisdom comes in many shapes and sizes, Leila. You may not always expect them, but they will be there."

"What does that mean?" She asked.

Oma laid a hand on her shoulder. "In time, you will come to understand what I mean."

"Well, well, well. If Charlie hasn't got his bell rung!" Jack smirked, walking into Sam's kitchen.

"Shut uhp!"

"Stop goading him, Jack!" Sam said, giving him a punch on the arm, "It's not fair when he can't retaliate."

"Sorry, mate. I take it Nathan didn't want to know."

Charlie shook his head sadly.

"He'll figure it out one day," Sam said, "And he'll come crawlin' back."

"She's such ah bitsch," Charlie said.

"A what?" Jack asked mockingly.

Sam swiped at him with a dishcloth. "Stop it!" she warned.

"Lishten to the lahdy," Charlie said. "She knowsh whats she's talking about, sthis one."

"Come and sit on the couch," Jack offered, "I'll get you some beer...and a straw!"

He chuckled, and Sam whacked him with the cloth again, on his butt.

"She wants me," Jack grinned over his shoulder.

"Thatsh becaushe you're a shexy bitch!" Charlie shouted back, trying not to laugh again.

Sam giggled, and helped Charlie over to her couch.

"Ya still got us," she said, sitting beside him.

"Yah. Pretty raw deal, huh?" he said, with an impish grin. Sam returned it.

Jack returned with the beer, and a jumbo-size pink straw for Charlie.

"You wahna be careful I don't sshove that up somewhere," Charlie drawled.

"Oma, I want to descend."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes. I've thought about it for a long time - this is what I want."

'Show me, O Lord, my life's end

and the number of my days;

let me know how fleeting is my life.

You have made my days a mere handbreadth

The span of my years is nothing before you

Each man's life is but a breath.'

Psalm 39:4-6

To be continued in 'Each Man's Life Part 5: Mind's Eye'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth