Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

More Shades of Grey part 6: No Way Out

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
More Shades of Grey part 6: No Way Out

More Shades of Grey part 6: No Way Out

by Ruth

Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist! Hope you enjoyed them, folks!
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama
Episode Related: 318 Shades of Grey
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: language, minor character death, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/11/03

Title: More Shades of Grey Part 6: No Way Out Rating: R
Spoilers: Shades of Grey (but that would be a little obvious, now wouldn't it?) Disclaimer: None of the characters belong to me, they belong to the lovely people at MGM, Showtime and Brad Wright. Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist. You'll see. ? ~ More shades of Grey Part 6: No Way Out ~ By Ruth

Sam quickly realised that she was surrounded on all sides. She also saw Lieutennant Tobias, grinning and holding her own gun. Sam would bet all the money she had that it was Clare who'd grassed on her.

"You always do this to new recruits, Maybourne?" she asked, trying to save the mission.

"New recruits - no. Spies, however, yes."

"Maybourne, what makes you think I'm a spy? What makes you think I'm not genuine?" She was treading on dangerous ground, but Sam didn't see anywhere else she could go.

"Major, Major, Major. I never truly believed you were genuinely working for my cause. Then, two days ago, we managed to tape this from the SGC. It's General Hammond, Dr Jackson, Teal'c and Colonel O'Neill, in case you were wondering." "WHAT??"
"YOU ARE JOKING?"
"General Hammond does not appear to be amused, Daniel Jackson."

"It is vital for Major Carter's safety that you do not mention this to ANYONE else and that you do not make any kind of contact with her, do you understand?"

"Why Sam? Why Sam and not me?"
Sam's heart ached at the tone of Jack's voice.

"Maybourne won't be expecting her. It'll take longer for her to win his trust, but once she does, he'll think she's solid. Won't be expecting her to stab him in the back." Maybourne stopped the recording.
"It seems that your colleagues have grossly underestimated me, Major." Sam swallowed. There really was no way out of this one.

"You were never really cut out to be with us, Major," said Clare with a smirk.

"You were never really cut out to be with anyone else, Clare," said Sam. Clare cocked her gun.

"Easy," said Maybourne. It was then that he noticed that Major Newman was missing from the gun-wielding group.

"Where's Newman??" He asked. "Find him and bring him here NOW!" Sam looked around her for some, any means of escape. She found none. Maybourne sniggered. "Sam, there's no way out. Trust me."

"That's Major Carter to you, bastard!" she spat.

"Put your hands up, Sam." Clare stepped forwards.

"Or what?" Sam asked.
"Or I blow them off."
Sam reluctantly raised her hands in the air. Maybourne grinned.

"Oh dear. Pretty little Sam has got herself in trouble again. This time, your precious Colonel isn't here to save you."

Back at the SGC, General Hammond looked at his watch, then back at Colonel Bridges. He looked very worried.

"What?" asked Jack, "What's going on?"

"She was supposed to have reported back with the fugitives by now, son."

"Are we to take it that she has failed?" asked Colonel Reynolds, who had just entered with Colonel Sanders.

"Give her time," said General Hammond, looking out into the gate room. The gate, however, remained ominously silent and still.

Sam was glaring at Maybourne. She was trying to buy herself time to think about what the hell she could do to get herself out of there. She was failing.

"You think you're so clever, don't you?" asked Clare. "Always getting top marks at school, liked by all of the teachers. Didn't have any friends though, did you? You see, that's the difference between you and me. You might be a walking encyclopedia who doesn't sleep or eat, but you never have any friends around you when you need them! I have all of my friends right here."

"I doubt they're really your friends, Clare," said Sam. Clare fired at Sam's arm, grazing her arm with the bullet. Sam winced and staggered back a bit, but calmed down when she realised that the bullet had only nicked her. It was then that two of the other men entered, dragging Newman between them. Sam pressed her left hand over the wound on her right shoulder to prevent her from bleeding on the gate.

"Ah, Major Newman. Where have you been?"

"N...n...nowhere, Colonel sir," said Newman skittishly, noticing the blood on Sam's hand and arm.

"Put him over there with her!" he spat. The two men threw Newman down on the ramp. Sam attempted to help him up, but Maybourne aimed for her and fired again. This time the bullet nicked her side, sending her backwards into the gate. She was curled up at the foot of the gate, and could hear Maybourne's steps approaching her. As she prepared for a bullet in the head, Sam closed her eyes. Just as she was expecting to be killed, however, bright beams of light entered the room, landing on all of the artefacts and devices that had been stolen. This distracted Maybourne and Sam was able to get to her feet, kicking the gun out of his hand and knocking him to the floor. As the other soldiers tried to fire upon her, they heard clicking noises and found that all of their weapons had been disabled.

"It's the Asgard!" said Sam, at the top of her voice. "Listen to me!" She began dialling the gate. Clare launched herself at Sam and knocked her to the floor, but Sam was prepared and managed to kick the smaller woman off of her. What she wasn't prepared for was a blow to her jaw from Maybourne that sent her spinning back down.

General Hammond shook his head.
Jack put his head in his hands.
Colonel Bridges muttered, "Last time we get a woman to do a man's job." Jack rose and went over to the man. "HOW DARE YOU? HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT? You and your little friends have just got my 2IC killed, probably, by Colonel Maybourne and all you can say is that she didn't do a good enough job? You son of a bitch!" Jack punched Colonel Bridges on his nose, but was soon restrained by Sergeant Siler and Major Davis.

Sam heaved herself to her feet only to hear the gate engaging. Major Newman was standing by the DHD, but then he walked right out in front of the gate, where he would certainly be killed when the wormhole was established.

"Newman!" she yelled.
He turned back to her with one last, agonised glance and stepped in front of the gate. In a second, Major Newman was gone.

Sergeant Siler released his grip on O'Neill as the men heard the Stargate engaging. Immediately, heavily armed security teams entered the gate room. Daniel and Teal'c came running into General Hammond's office.

"Is it her? Is it Sam?"
"Open the iris!" Commanded General Hammond, knowing full well that it might not have been Sam coming through the gate. He couldn't take the chance that it was her, and he hadn't opened it. The men watched with baited breath, and one with a nosebleed.

Sam staggered to her feet and stood by the open gate. "Ok, people, listen to me! The Asgard are pissed off. When they stop taking stuff, they're gonna start taking people! Now, you can go with the Asgard, or you can follow me! By the way, I'll be holding it open so you can't do a runner!" The ground began to shake as Sam lurched through the gate.

"Sam!" Jack yelled, running into the gate room and looking in horror at the state of his 2IC.

"Got to keep the gate open!" she groaned, as her blood began to drip onto the SGC's floor.

"Medical team to the gateroom!" General Hammond said into the intercom. Just then, Colonel Maybourne appeared through the gate. He was arrested and taken out of the room, though not before Jack had glared at him. He was followed by twenty other men and women, who were also cuffed.

Clare Tobias was the only one remaining. Should she die here, at the hands of the Asgard, or be arrested by Sam's friends? As the ground began to break up beneath her feet, she chose life.

Clare threw herself through the gate and Sam dropped her arm, collapsing into Jack's arms with exhaustion. He waited for all of the smirking bastards to be taken away before he rushed her to the infirmary.

A few hours later, Sam was laying in bed, asleep. Jack was by her side, watching over her, waiting for her to wake up. He held her hand in his, and brought it up to his cheek, feeling her skin against his. He was thankful that she was safe, but he wanted to kill Maybourne. And the woman who'd thrown herself through the gate last. He was also grateful that the Asgard and the Tollan had intervined with their various disabling devices when they had, or Sam would certainly be dead. By Sam's command, Colonel Makepeace had also been arrested. It seemed that the whole affair was over and done with. He was pleased to know that Colonel Bridges now had a broken nose. Just as he was smirking, he felt Sam's fingers move in his hand, and she began to stir.

"Sam?" he asked.
"C.....Jack?" she asked.
He beamed - she had remembered to call him Jack, for once.

"How ya feeling?" he asked.
"Sore," she groaned.
"Won't be doing that again in a hurry, huh?" he asked.

"God...no. I'll leave those types of mission to you in future, Jack."

"Thanks."
"I hope I didn't upset anyone when I was pretending to...."

"Sam, no-one believed General Hammond. No-one. He had to tell us."

"I know. Maybourne had a recording of you all talking. That's how he found me out." Jack's face fell. "God, Sam, I'm sorry."

"It doesn't matter. Thor has good timing," she smiled. Jack smiled as well.
"It's wonderful to have you back, Sam," he said, and kissed her forehead. She reached up and caressed his cheek. He kissed her again, on the lips this time. She smiled at him.
"Oh," said Jack, "And you know that Colonel whasisname, the one who made you do that mission?"

"Mmm?"
"I broke his nose."
Sam laughed. Oh, it was good to be back again.

THE END
Author's note: Hope you enjoyed it! As always, feedback is accepted here samcarterusaf@yahoo.co.uk Thank you for reading!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth