Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

More Shades of Grey part 4: Deed is Done

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
More Shades of Grey part 4: Deed is Done

More Shades of Grey part 4: Deed is Done

by Ruth

Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist!
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama
Episode Related: 318 Shades of Grey
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/11/03

Title: More Shades of Grey Part 4: Deed is done Rating: R
Spoilers: A Hundred Days, Shades of Grey (but that would be a little obvious, now wouldn't it?) Disclaimer: None of the characters belong to me, they belong to the lovely people at MGM, Showtime and Brad Wright. Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist. You'll see. ? ~ More shades of Grey Part 4: Deed is done ~ By Ruth

Sam looked at the small piece of card in her hand. It was seven days since her visit from Maybourne, and it was now that she was supposed to call him back. She picked up the phone, but the receiver felt heavy in her hand. She wondered why Jack, Daniel and Teal'c hadn't been round to yell at her. She knew that she could have no contact with them until her mission was over, however, and began to dial the number on the card.

Jack sat in Sam's lab, fiddling with the nearest doohickey he could find. It had always annoyed her when he'd done that, but normally he would be able to get a smile out of her. He missed that smile, the one she always had for anybody. No matter what happened, Sam Carter would be smiling. That was, until recently. He'd been missing on Edora for three months, and he hadn't exactly thanked her for bringing him home.

Daniel sipped his coffee and looked at the computer screen, missing his friend deeply. From the minute General Hammond had told them about Sam 'stealing' the Tollan technology, he'd felt a great unease in the room. No-one believed it was true, not even Hammond. However, there were three new, very strict Colonels on base who forbade Hammond to tell anyone the truth. What they didn't know was that three men were already well aware of what Sam was doing.

Janet sat down on her chair in the infirmary and sighed deeply. She missed Sam, and so did Cassie. General Hammond had also told her about what Sam was really doing, and this worried Janet greatly. She knew the damage Maybourne was capable of inflicting and if Sam got on the wrong side of him, or failed to convince him of her switch she could end up badly wounded or worse, dead. She shuddered, and got up to put away some syringes.

Teal'c was meditating in his quarters. He was concerned for the welfare of his friend, Major Carter, and was at great unease with the fact that four men had willingly sent her to work with Maybourne, a man Teal'c despised indefinitely. He couldn't quite understand why they were willing to put her life at risk just for the sake of getting Maybourne. When he had asked O'Neill, he had replied, bitterly, "Politics, Teal'c." He did not understand these Tau'ri 'Politics.'

"Hello?"
"Colonel Maybourne?"
"Major Carter? Well, what a nice surprise!"

"Cut the crap, Maybourne!"
"You've accepted my offer?"
"Where do you want to meet?" she asked, avoiding his question.

"You've accepted my offer?" he repeated obstinately.

"Colonel, why else would I possibly be calling you?" she asked.

"I'll meet you at your place," he said, "Half an hour, Major." Sam put the phone down, trembling with fear. Why had she agreed to do this? Maybourne didn't seem in the least bit suspicious, which scared her greatly.

Maybourne was pleasantly surprised as he replaced the receiver. He hadn't expected her to accept his offer. He thought that the SGC would be unwilling to risk the life of a brilliant astrophysicist, but their priorities had obviously changed - or Major Carter's change of heart was genuine. He wondered what Colonel O'Neill would have to say on the subject. Still, that would have to wait. For now, he had more important business to attend to.

Sam heard Maybourne's car pull up to her drive and she stopped pacing, worried about wearing a hole in the floor. She swallowed as she heard his footsteps approach her door, and shivered as the doorbell rang.

"Colonel."
"Major. May I come in?"
"No," she said obstinately, stepping outside of her door and folding her arms.

"Shall we?" he asked, gesturing towards a sleek, black car that sat quietly purring in her driveway. Sam was a little scared, but she knew that there was no other way. Locking her front door, she followed Maybourne to the car.

"After you, Major," he said, opening the door for her. Jeez, thought Sam, Maybourne actually has manners! As the car started to move, Maybourne eyed Sam curiously. "What made you change your mind, Major?" Oh shit. Careful, Sam
"I got a little tired of waiting, Colonel. Think of all the scientific advances we could make with the technology, waiting isn't good enough - people die from diseases that the Asgard could cure with a wave of their hand, the Tollan could defend us from almost any threat, not to mention the Nox!"

"I know, Major. Funny, I was expecting Colonel O'Neill to do this, not you." Sam smiled weakly. "What exactly is it you want me to do, Colonel?"

"I want you to command one of my teams," said Maybourne. Sam swallowed. "Command? I'm only a Major, sir."

"I know that, Major, but you are very highly experienced and a valuable asset to us."

"Us?"
"There's more than one team, Major. Now, do you accept?"

"I want to know more about who I'll be in command of," she said.

"All in due time, Major, all in due time. Do you accept?"

"Yes, I do."

"General, exactly how long is Carter going to be stuck with Maybourne and his little friends?" asked Jack.

"I have no idea, Colonel," General Hammond admitted.

"So, you just sent her out on a mission, not know..."

"It wasn't my choice, ultimately, son. It was the decision of Colonel Bridges and his..."

"Could I speak with this Colonel?" asked Jack. Hammond studied Jack's face carefully. "No."

"Why not?"
"Because you'll rip him apart, Jack. Or at least try to. He's not a good person to piss off, son."

"General..."
"Colonel, I'm not happy with Major Carter's assignment, but it was an order from higher ranks. I had no choice!"

"But General, you are..."
"The best thing we can all do for Major Carter is to keep quiet. Don't make contact with her, this exercise can't go on forever! We've communicated with the Tollan and with the Asgard, they'll get back to us shortly."

"Damn regulations," said Jack, getting up and walking out of the office.

Sam took the brown folder that Maybourne handed her and flicked through the pages showing her new teammates. Major Newman and....oh God, Lieutennant Clare Tobias. Maybourne noticed the pained expression on her face.

"Something wrong, Major?" he asked.
"No," she said, "Just out of interest, who's currently in command of this team?"

"Major Newman. We'll speak with him shortly. First, we have to board the plane."

"Why are we flying? Can't we just go by car?"

"True, Major, but I find surveillance to be much less effective when you're ten thousand feet up."

Major Newman shuffled his feet nervously. He wondered who would be taking command of his team. Lieutennant Tobias was busy with something in the background, so he went over to talk to her, to calm his nerves.

"Hey Tobias. Wonder who our new CO's gonna be."

"Are you nervous, Newman? Better not let Maybourne catch you!"

"That's insubordination, Lieutennant!"

"And you're not my CO any more!" she snapped, "Besides, insubordination is an SGC term. I should wash your mouth out with soap!"

"Shut up, Tobias! I sure hope our new CO doesn't put up with your crap like I did!"

"Go to hell, Newman!"

Sam studied the two rogue officers with interest. Maybourne had removed one of the Goa'uld orbs used for spying from a box and had managed to configure it to look at her new team members. The pair had been so busy arguing that they hadn't noticed Maybourne watching them.

"Major! Lieutennant!" Maybourne barked.

"Sir!" The two officers jumped to attention.

"Your new commanding officer will be arriving by Stargate shortly. I'm sending you the co-ordinates for the proposed mission. You'll want to make a note of them."

"Yes, sir," said Newman, scrambling away from the orb.

"Lieutennant," said Maybourne.
"Yes, sir?" she asked.
"Next time you wish to argue with a fellow team member of higher rank, I suggest you check that there are no superior officers listening in on you."

"Yes, Colonel," she blushed.
Maybourne turned off the orb and put it back into its box.

"Think you can cope with them?" he asked. Sam nodded. "I think so, sir."
Maybourne held out his hand. "Welcome to the team, Major." Sam shook it.
TO BE CONTINUED...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth