Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

More Shades of Grey part 5: Taking Command

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
More Shades of Grey part 5: Taking Command

More Shades of Grey part 5: Taking Command

by Ruth

Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist!
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama
Episode Related: 318 Shades of Grey
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/11/03

Title: More Shades of Grey Part 5: Taking Command Rating: R
Spoilers: Shades of Grey (but that would be a little obvious, now wouldn't it?) Disclaimer: None of the characters belong to me, they belong to the lovely people at MGM, Showtime and Brad Wright. Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist. You'll see. ? ~ More shades of Grey Part 5: Taking Command ~ By Ruth

Jack sat in Daniel's lab, flicking absent-mindedly through a huge, dusty archaeology book, growing more bored by the second.

"You gotta wonder what she'd doin'," said Jack.

"Mm," said Daniel, through a mouthful of coffee.

The Stargate engaged. Major Newman, Lieutennant Tobias and the rest of their team stood to attention as a slim figure dressed in black walked through the gate and looked around. Black standard issue boots, black combat trousers, a black leather jacket covering a millitary-issue tank top and short blonde hair cropped to the back of her neck. Clare Tobias' eyebrows met in the middle. Major Newman's jaw dropped to the floor.

"Ma'am..." he stammered.
"At ease, Major," said Carter, biting back a smirk at the look on Clare's face.

"We don't look like much, ma'am, but we're honoured to have you command us."

"Thank you, Major," said Sam. She was kind of enjoying herself already, but she knew that she had to be careful. Just then, an uncomfortable reunion with Clare Tobias was prevented by Maybourne appearing in the Goa'uld orb.

"I trust your new team meets your satisfaction, Major?" asked Maybourne.

"Yes, sir," said Sam.
"Good. I have your first mission. You are to retrieve a piece of technology from an Asgard-protected planet and return it for study. You must NOT alert the Asgard to your presence, is that understood?"

"Yes."

Jack poked his head around the door of Sam's lab, missing her greatly. He was worried about her, working with Maybourne, and desperately wanted her home. God, he thought, you're starting to think like her father! He swore that he would kill Maybourne if any harm came to her, no matter what the cost.

Sam went through the gate with Lieutennant Tobias and Major Newman. They soon found themselves in a dark cave, with very poor visibility.

"You are gonna love this!" said Newman from behind her. He put something in his hand and suddenly, without warning, he disappeared.

"Newman?" asked Sam with interest.
"Here," he said, appearing in front of her holding a small device in his hand.

"Wow. That could be useful!"
"Yeah, it will be Major! We must return and report our success to Maybourne."

"The mission was a success," said Newman into the Goa'uld orb.

"Good. Now you must take the device and leave it for the undercover SG team member to pick it up."

"Yes, sir," said Sam.
"Major? When do you want us ready?"
"Actually, if you don't mind, Major, I'd like to do this on my own." At Clare Tobias' suspicious glance, she added, "I like to try everything alone at least once."

"Yes, ma'am," said Major Newman, and left. Clare Tobias, however, did not.

"Something on your mind, lieutennant?" asked Sam.

"Drop the lieutennant, you bitch! We all know you're not really here to become one of us."

"That's insubordination," said Sam.
Clare smiled. "Aww. That's a military term. We don't use those sorts of terms here."

"While you're under my command, lieutennant, you'll do as I dammed well say, is that understood?"

"Yes, ma'am!" said Clare icily, giving her a mocking curtsy as she walked away. Sam dialled the gate coordinates and stepped through, wondering who the SG team member secretly working for Maybourne was.

Jack O'Neill paced angrily by the base of the Stargate. Colonel Makepeace had been temporarily assigned to SG-1 while Major Carter was absent, and he didn't like it one little bit. For god knows what reason, Hammond had also instructed him that Colonel Makepeace was to take joint command with Jack. He was not a happy camper.

Sam stepped through the gate and watched it disengage. She walked slowly over to the DHD and placed the Asgard device under a small rock. She jumped as she heard the Stargate engaging. As the gate opened, she hid in some bushes and got out her binoculars. Her heart dropped to her feet. It was Jack, Daniel, Teal'c and.......Colonel Makepeace??

Jack looked around him, about to give Daniel an order when Makepeace spoke.

"Dr Jackson, collect whatever you need and do it quickly. Teal'c....."

"Hey," said Jack, "You're in joint command of this mission, not complete command. Daniel, take as much time as you need. Teal'c, with me."

Sam held her breath as Teal'c and Jack walked right in front of her hiding place. Teal'c paused for a moment, but then moved on. Sam watched Colonel Makepeace with interest. He had been keeping a safe distance away from the others and waiting for them to leave. As soon as they were out of eyeshot, he crouched down next to the DHD, removed the Asgard device and put it into his pack. So, Colonel Makepeace was the mole. He'd be arrested the minute she got back to Cheyenne Mountain.

After what seemed like an eternity to Sam, SG-1 and Colonel Makepeace left the planet. The minute the gate disengaged, she jumped out from her hiding place and ran over to the DHD. Once there, she dialled the address for Makepeace's resistance and jumped through the Stargate. As she left, a small beam of energy appeared on the planet. He soon materialised as the Asgard Thor, and cocked his head to one side, thinking.

Sam left the gate on the other side to find just Major Newman on the other side.

"How was the mission, ma'am?" he asked. She noticed his hand trembling slightly.

"Well, the device was transferred okay, but Maybourne's timing sucked! I ran right into SG-1!"

"That...must have been difficult, ma'am," said Newman.

"Newman, is something wrong?" she asked.

"No, ma'am," said Newman, moving strategically so that Sam would follow him. She now had her back to the door, facing the Stargate.

"You look tense," she said, beginning to get worried.

"No," he stammered.
Just then, Sam heard the click of a gun having its safety snapped off. Many separate clicks followed as many guns had their safety snapped off.

"Well, well, well. Looks like your little game's up, Major." Sam spun around.
It was Colonel Maybourne and the rest of his men, all holding guns. She was trapped.
TO BE CONTINUED.........

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth