Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

More Shades of Grey Part 3: The Waiting Game

by Ruth
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
More Shades of Grey Part 3: The Waiting Game

More Shades of Grey Part 3: The Waiting Game

by Ruth

Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist.
Category: Action/Adventure, Drama
Episode Related: 318 Shades of Grey
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/11/03

Title: More Shades of Grey Part 3: The Waiting Game Rating: R
Spoilers: Shades of Grey (but that would be a little obvious, now wouldn't it?) Disclaimer: None of the characters belong to me, they belong to the lovely people at MGM, Showtime and Brad Wright. Summary: It's 'Shades of Grey' with a twist. You'll see. ? ~ More shades of Grey Part 3: The Waiting Game ~ By Ruth

Sam closed the door behind her and sighed, deeply. She had to wait for Maybourne to contact her, and then wait for seven days after his contact to reply to him. She had a lot of spare time on her hands and nothing to do with it... She sat down on the couch and turned on the TV, getting bored very quickly and turning it off within a few seconds.

"Colonel Maybourne, sir!"
"Yes, Lieutennant?"
"We just heard news about a member of SG-1. Stole a piece of Tollan technology and has now been suspended, sir." Maybourne grinned. "Who?" he asked. "Colonel O'Neill?"

"No sir," said the Lieutennant, "Major Carter, sir." Maybourne's jaw dropped to the floor. "Y...you're sure, lieutennant?"

"I can show you the paperwork myself, Colonel."

"Please, lieutennant."
"Right this way, sir."
Why on Earth would Major Carter, of all people, want to steal technology from her allies? As Hammond had predicted, Colonel Maybourne smelt a rat.

Jack whistled as he made his way down the corridor to Sam's lab. He knocked on the door but found that it was already adjar, which was very unusual for Sam. Still whistling, he walked into General Hammond's office and sat down in his chair, with his 2IC's ominously empty beside him.

"Daniel?"
"Yes, Jack?"
"Have you..."
"I haven't seen her anywhere, Jack."
"Teal-"
"I have not, O'Neill."
"Thank you for coming, Gentlemen. I trust your mission was a success?"

"Yes sir, uh, where's Sam?" asked Daniel. General Hammond shifted uncomfortably, then brought out the Tollan weapon disabling device. "Major Carter brought this back to Earth without the permission of the Tollan. I have been forced to suspend her until further notice." Daniel laughed nervously. "That's a joke, right?"

"General Hammond does not appear to be amused, Daniel Jackson."

"No," said Jack, "Narim must've given it to her, you know how smitten he is with her..."

"I'm afraid not, Colonel. Narim will be arriving in ten minutes to retrieve the technology.

"No, this isn't Sam. I don't believe this!" said Daniel looking at his hands and then at Jack.

"What have you got her to do, General?" asked Jack.

"Excuse me? Colonel, you are out of line!"

"If you have assigned my 2IC to another mission then I have a right to know about it!"

"Colonel, stand down! I am no more responsible for Major Carter's actions than you!"

"I don't believe you," said Jack.
"No, neither do I," said Daniel.
There was a long pause.
"I am in agreement with Colonel O'Neill and Dr Jackson," said Teal'c. General Hammond looked at the three men around the table opposite him, and realised that Colonel Bridges' plan of secrecy was not going to work with them. He couldn't lie to them.

"We can't have this conversation here, Gentlemen. We have to go through the Stargate."

"General, would you just cut the crap..."

"COLONEL! We will go through the Stargate, do I make myself clear?"

"General, I thought you weren't supposed to g...."

"I'll worry about that later, Dr Jackson, for now there are more important things."

"Yes, sir."

Sam was sitting in the dark when she heard a car pull up outside her house. She felt sick as she heard footsteps approaching her door, and heard a sharp knock, then another, then another. Slowly she got to her feet, working on an annoyed expression. It was then that she realised she didn't have to prepare herself to be annoyed, Maybourne would do that to her automatically. She opened her door and looked wearily out at the small man.

"Major Carter," he smirked.
"What the hell do you want, Maybourne?" she asked.

"Interested in your sudden change of heart, Major."

"Go to hell!" She was about to shut the door but Maybourne stuck his foot in it.

"Got tired of asking nicely?" he asked. Sam swallowed, but did not reply.

"Come work for me, Major. You can get so much more new technology if you just take!"

"No!" she said bluntly.
"Fine. Here's my card. Call me when you get bored, Major." He placed the small card on the table by her door and left, walking slowly back to his car. Sam shut the door behind her and leant against it, breathing hard. That was the first part over...

"WHAT??"
"YOU ARE JOKING?"
"General Hammond does not appear to be amused, Daniel Jackson."

"It is vital for Major Carter's safety that you do not mention this to ANYONE else and that you do not make any kind of contact with her, do you understand?" asked General Hammond.

"Why Sam?" asked Jack, "Why Sam and not me?"

"Maybourne won't be expecting her. It'll take longer for her to win his trust, but once she does, he'll think she's solid. Won't be expecting her to stab him in the back."

"Oh, but I think he will, General," said Jack in anger and hurt, walking away from the other three men.

Sam looked at the piece of card on the table. Wait.
TO BE CONTINUED...

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ruth