Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Mistrust - Chapter 1

by Scully
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Mistrust - Chapter 1

Mistrust - Chapter 1

by Scully

Summary: Sam's quest for a normal life could have far more reaching consequences when she puts her work and life at risk. Sam/Jack angst
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Series
Episode Related: 715 Chimera
Season: Season 7
Pairing: Jack/Sam, none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: adult themes, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-12

Spoilers: Chimera Rating: GEN13 Disclaimer: Stargate is and never will be mine, but a girl can dream.

Chapter 1 - Consequences!

Sitting in her car, Sam pondered about what had happened that morning, it had been totally unexpected. The bruises around her abdomen were tender to the touch, but she didn't think anything was broken. Her main problem at the moment was to ensure her friends never found out; she didn't know if she could live with the hassle or embarrassment of having them lecture her.

Lost in thought, she couldn't believe that this had been the second time in her life that she'd been conned into believing that she could be happy and in a normal relationship. She was beginning to wonder who she ticked off in a previous life.

Getting out of the car gingerly, she cradled her ribs with her arm. Knowing that she couldn't pull another sick day she walked carefully towards the mountain, preparing herself for endless questions from her team mates, when all she wanted to do was lock herself in her lab and wish the day away. Looking at her watch, she knew she was already two hours late...this was not good.

For the past several weeks, she'd been late almost constantly and she knew that her behaviour of late was not conducive to a good working relationship... particularly with Jack. Distraction seemed to be her middle name lately, and nothing the Colonel had said to her previously; about her "strange" behaviour, seemed to be making any difference.

Sighing, she headed for the elevator and to the Colonel's office; he was not going to be a happy camper. *But*, at this moment in time, she couldn't care less. There were just too many other things to worry about.

Knocking on his door, she waited a few seconds before he called out. Pulling herself together, she felt the adrenaline coarse through her veins. Her heart rate increased from nervous and she had to take a few steadying breaths before walking in.

"Carter! Nice of you to show up."

"I'm sorry, sir. I promise it won't happen again." Sam replied apologetically.

"What's this, the fifth time in as many weeks that you've been late? What's the excuse this time, Carter?" Jack replied heatedly. "You know what? For the last seven years, I've counted on you to be there for the team and to watch our six. *And* never once in those 7 years did you show up late, but now... What the hell is going on with you these days? You get yourself a boyfriend and all of a sudden the SGC means nothing to you? Is that what it is?" Jack continued, his aggravation increasing. Hell, he wasn't exactly Mr Punctuality himself, but never did he disrespect his teammates as much as she'd been doing these last few weeks. Missing briefings, arriving late, leaving early, was something that he'd never have associated with her, but these days...he didn't have a clue what was going on in that head of hers, but he knew it wasn't work related. Ever since she'd started dating *him* there'd been something different about her.

They'd barely talked these last few weeks, and it hurt him. Their relationship had always been based on trust and friendship, but now... It seemed as if she was changing, distancing herself away from him, and he didn't why.

Sam winced at his tone, she'd rarely seen him get this upset, but deep down she'd known it was going to come sooner or later. Lowering her head in shame, she whispered, "I'm sorry, Sir. I know my behaviour of late hasn't exactly been forthcoming, but I promise you, it won't happen again."

"Carter, I've heard it all before. You said the same thing a few days ago, you promised then that things would change, but have they? No." Jack got up from his seat and walked over to her. "Sam...I know something's not right with you, but I'm warning you here and now. You had better snap out of it, otherwise I won't have any other alternative, but to file a formal warning."

"Yes, sir." Sam replied submissively, she didn't know what else to say. Everything in her life seemed to be going wrong at the moment, and the last thing she needed was to lose her job. This was her life, and she was going to make damned sure that no one took it away from her. "If there's nothing else, sir, I have some things to do in my lab."

Jack shook his head, he hated chewing her out, but nothing else seemed to be working with her. As she went to walk out of the office he called out to her. "Sam."

Sam's hand hovered on the handle, but she couldn't look at him, she had to hold it together.

"Sam, please talk to me, I'm not just your CO, I'm your friend, and if something's not right, professional or...personal, then tell me. I can't help you if don't tell me what's going on." It was a heartfelt plea, he didn't know what else to say to her, his eyes reflected pain and sadness that she wouldn't confide in him.

"Everything fine, sir. I...um... just had some personal issues to sort out...that's all." Sam replied half turning back to him.

"You're sure?" Jack asked with uncertainty.

"Yes, sir."

"Okay, if you say so." He commented, unconvinced that everything was okay.

"Before you go, don't forget that we're due to go off world this afternoon. The briefing starts in 2 hours. Don't be late!"

"I won't, sir."

With her head as heavy as her heart, she walked slowly towards her lab. Getting into the elevator, she was so lost in thought that she didn't see the hand grab the sides to stop it from closing. Jumping slightly, she tried to calm her breathing. Thankfully it was only Daniel.

"Hey, Sam. Feeling better?" Daniel enquired, but not quite sure that she was all right.

"Never better. How's the translation coming?" Sam asked trying to steer the conversation away from her.

"Fine." He answered hesitantly. "You sure you're okay? You still look... a little pale."

"I'm fine, really." She responded, suddenly finding the floor very interesting.

"You spoken to Jack yet?"

"Yes thanks." Sam replied briefly not wanting to get into their conversation

"And?"

"And what?"

"What did he say?" Daniel questioned in silent exasperation. Noting that this was harder than having a conversation with Teal'c on a bad day.

"Daniel. No offence, but I don't want to talk about it." Sam replied coldly.

"Oh...okay. If you want to talk..."

"Thanks for the offer Daniel, but I won't."

Not knowing where to look or what to say, they continued in silence until Sam got out of the elevator, leaving a stunned Daniel to carry on alone. He didn't know what was going on with the two of them, but he sure as hell was going to find out.

*** End of Part 1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Scully