Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

by Tanwen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

by Tanwen

Summary: She's alone, she's drunk and she's cold!
Category: Holiday, Humor, Romance, Series
Holiday: Christmas
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/15/03

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

It was cold. Very cold. The fact that her BDUs didn't cover much beyond her knees didn't help matters much either. She pulled her jacket tighter round her, but it still billowed in the wind. She hated coming to the Pentagon, especially know it was nearly always on her own. They'd just rushed through the last of their work so that everyone would all be at home with their families for the holidays. Everyone except her. She was rushing to go home to be alone. She wondered whether she should go home at all, but if she was going to be alone over Christmas, she might as well be alone in her own home than in some hotel room. Besides, she could get straight into work on the 25th. Damn it was cold! Somewhere in the distance she heard carollers singing, they were tougher than she was for staying out in this weather. She hurried on to her hotel to grab her things then get a cab to the airport when she realised that it wasn't carollers singing, or at least they weren't singing carols. "If I go crazy would you still call me superman..." She didn't know where they were singing so she just pulled her coat even tighter and carried on walking. When suddenly she heard a wolf whistle behind her, and the singing break of into laughing. She turned round to see a group of well wrapped up kids sitting on a low wall laughing, one waving manically stopping only to take a photo with the brightest flash imaginable. Under her turned up coat collar she smiled and began to walk over to the group as the one with a camera jumped over her friends heads and ran over to her.
"Hey Jen, what are you doing here?"
"Touring!"
"We're Gatecrasher! The best band either side of the Atlanitc!" "Here in Washington DC for out Atlantis tour." "We're touring America then going back to England to do some gigs over there." Jen's friends had quickly joined her and were now plugging to Sam with all their might.
"We're taking a break right now, but we got a gig tonight and then one on Boxing Day. You should come!"
"I can't, I'm flying home in about three hours." "Spending Christmas with anyone?" Jen inquired subtly "Nah! Just me. My Dad can't come home. My brother's with his wife's family. Murray and Daniel are off" don't say world, don't say world. Think, think, faster. Come on brain! "Visiting family" Nice save, thank you brain "and everyone else are with family."
"Aww, Sam"
"WAIT!" the largest of the kids suddenly shouted causing Sam to jump a little. "You're Sam, as in Sam Carter Sam. As in the one that's in love with..." "Steve! Ix nay on ack Jay!" Jen said with a dangerous glint in her eye. Sam felt she should be betrayed by the fact that Jen had told her friends, but there was that thing about Jen that made it impossible to be mad with her. Instead she just laughed.
"For the last time, I am not in love with him!" "Yes you are! Jen heard you..."
"STEVE!" the girls shouted at him.
Jen could only laugh again before it suddenly connected. Heard her say what? Panic rose in her. If she had heard that, which was bad enough, what else had she heard? "Really? You did? When?"
"When me and Jack first came to stay at yours and he fell asleep. I would have told you, but it was too much fun annoying you!" Definitely her uncle's niece.
"That's okay, but I'd never do anything about it. We both agreed to just be friends." "Why? He's in love with yo..."
"STEVE!!!!!!!!" The entire group screamed. One of the girls even went as far to throw a scarf round his neck in an attempt to throttle him. But Sam didn't notice. She was still in shock. He loved her? He loved her. Then why hadn't he done anything? The same reason you haven't, Sam... because. "You alright Sam"
"Uhh, Ye... yeah" she finally managed. "I've got to um... to catch my... flight... yeah, I have to do...that. Bye!"
She turned around and began walking away. "Hey Sam! We'll see you when we're in Colorado! Give my love to Uncky J... Steve you big idiot! Look what you've gone and done now!"

It had been a long flight home for Sam. The plane had been delayed due to bad weather and taken off a few hours late. It was then detoured to avoid something and so was an hour later still. She was glad for the delay in actuality. Not only did it delay her arrival at an empty house, but also it gave her time to think. By the time she got in her car at the airport, she had reached a decision. There was a reason she had Jack hadn't got together yet, and if they hadn't yet it was never meant to be. Over her years in the military, particularly the last few, she had become a firm believer in fate. She'd had one to many 'luck escapes' to think it was all just coincidence. There had to be something out there that wanted her alive, and it didn't want her to be with Jack either. If it did, then it would happen. She'd just carry on like she didn't know he loved her.
The words still gave her a strange feeling. Some of her was happy beyond her wildest dreams, another bit was miserable beyond belief and the rest of her was just plain confused.
She pulled up in her driveway and walked into her house. It was even colder than Washington had been. Way, way too cold. Confused, lonely and cold, this was not good. There was only one thing to do. She flicked on her heating to full volume and called herself a cab. She was going to get drunk. Very, VERY drunk.

Henry the bar tender was used to it being like this in the holidays. It was very quiet, even though there were quite a few customers in the bar. Every single one of them, mostly men, were alone, drowning their sorrows. There were the usuals; the janitor, the one with no hair, the army guy, the woman whose husband had died from smoking five years ago. There was also the usual one timers who had gone out to find the first place they could order large amounts of alcohol in. Lost Souls Day, that was his name for Christmas Eve. Still, it was usually a good day to work. People ordered a lot of drinks, and nothing much happened. In the old days, he used to get quite a lot of fights on Lost Souls Day, but he'd worked out how to stop them before they started now, so it was fairly quiet.
"Henry!"
He saw a beer bottle being waved in the air and walked over to give him another. "Hey Colonel. Slow night"
"Isn't it always on LS days?"
The Colonel was the only one that he really got on with who came on days like this. He knew there had been quite a bit of tragedy in his life, something about his son, he didn't like to ask too much when it obviously hurt. The holidays were always the hardest for him.
"You ain't wrong there." Henry looked up as the door opened and let out a low whistle. "Phew, what's a girl like that doing here on Lost Soul's Eve?" The Colonel turned round to see who this girl was. "Sam?"
"Hey sir. What are you doing here?" It's okay, just keep calm, remember what you said...though...decided to do
"Getting drunk, you?"
"Same, I'll have a whiskey please."
"She get's stuck in to this right away huh? Most work there way up." "Oh no, when I mean to get drunk, I get drunk, and do it quickly." "Sounds sensible. Get me one as well."

Two hours, four whiskeys, three vodkas, and a bottle of wine they'd picked up on the way later, Jack and Sam were at his house, giving the booze cabinet a thorough cleaning out. Staggering over she fetched out a bottle of something a very violent shade of green.
"Wha's tha?"
"Dunno. But is got fif...fifty percen' wri'en on it." "Mus' be good then."
She tripped back into her seat and poured out a shaky glass. She passed the bottle to her friend and knocked it back in one.
"Ugh! Tha's disgu'ing! Gi'me anotha"
They sat on her sofa with a load of half empty bottles on he table in front of them. This getting drunk seemed to be happening fairly easily. Sam looked across to Jack. 'Tell him' part of her brain urged her. Reason was currently being beaten to death by Jack Daniel's, so Desire was running riot in her head. 'Tell him' 'Okay, I will!'
"You know what sir?"
"Wha'?"
"Jen recons you're in love... with me." "'S 'cause I am."
"Ahh, tha' explains it. Me to sir, me too." "You too wha'?"
"In love with me... you... thingy. Guess it was just never meant to be" she said with a slight sigh in her voice.
"Yeah. Why not?" he said frowning and turning to her. "Huh?"
"I'm not in the military anymore. It's not illeagal. Why not? Why can't we... what are we doing again?"
"I don't know... because"
"Because what?"
"It's why we can't do that thing we can't remember we can't do. Because." "Obviously" he said. It seemed he only understood her when she was being incoherent and they were both drunk.
"I need another drink, you wan' ahhh!"
She tripped over getting up and fell flat on the floor. Trying to get up to help her Jack slipped and fell on top of her too. Before either knew what was happening, they found their lips locked onto each other. Hands were going where hands shouldn't be going between friends.
"I think this is the thing we can't remember to do" Jack said as he pulled up briefly. "You mean the... oh hell," Sam said trying to correct him. "Wanna do it anyway?" "Sure, why not"

The sun rose through the window on a sunny and crisp Christmas morning. The birds were sining, kids were laughing, Sam's head was trying to break out of her head. What had she done last night? Come home, cold, gone to bar, met Jack, got drunk, come back here, got drunker, started...oh crap! She sat bolt upright, covering herself with the sheets. She looked down to see Jack stirring from sleep and open his eyes and see her. "Hi" she said breaking into a nervous smile. He sat upright too, doing all he could to avoid eyes contact. "Uhh, yeah, hi."
After a brief awkward moment he swung his legs out and grabbed his boxers from the floor and began to put them on.
"So... um... err... what happens now then." "Well," Sam managed to say as she slunk off the bed wrapped up in the covers, still avoiding looking at him. "We just forget this ever happened. I'll just get my things and go home, and we pretend this never happened." "That's a good idea" he agreed with gusto. "Or..." she said shakily, daring to catch his eyes again, "We could do it again?" Jack looked at her for a millisecond that went on forever. "That's a better one!"

He stroked the arm that was wrapped around him, rubbing his face into the hair that lay against his chest. He felt her smile against him. "Mmm...Hello."
"You awake then? How you feeling?"
Before she could answer, the phone rang shrilly in the room. "Ignore it" she urged him
"Can't, might be important"
What would be important anymore he didn't know, but force of habit made him pick up the receiver.
"Hello, O'Neill residence...Hey Jen, how's the tour...great...Happy Christmas to you too...so far, so good...no, just me..." he held Sam a little tighter too him as he lied, but suddenly stopped. Sam looked up at him worried, but saw no sign of concern on his face, just a slight hint of annoyance. "She want's to talk to you" he said passing the phone to Sam.
She took it from him but before she could even open her mouth to talk to her, Jen jumped in.
"Hey Sam, knew you'd be here. You and Uncle J have your selves a merry little Christmas won't you!"
"And a happy new year!" the last part was sung down the phone by 8 voices. "Oh I will, I most defiantly will!"

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Tanwen