Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

On My Way Home

by Tanwen
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
On My Way Home

On My Way Home

by Tanwen

Summary: When Sam gets home from a hard day there's a message waiting on her answerphone
Category: Angst, Humor, Series
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 07/13/03


Major Samantha Carter walked into her home and dropped her keys onto the tabel. She sould still catch the scent of the chemicalls that had filled her home only a few days ago. It had been a long hard day working in her lab, the kind of day that made her realise how much she missied him.
It wasnt any one thing she missed, it was just the whole thing. The comments that made her smile when she was down, the way they'd sometimes flirt with each other, even how he'd 'drop by'to her lab in between missions to annoy her.
At least then she'd sometimes get a break.
Since he'd left she'd tryed to follow his orders and get a life, but it wasn't any fun without him. While she'd been at Janet and Cassie's she'd alwasy found somthing to distract herself with but now it was just her and her house made for one too many people.
"Get a grip Sam," she wispered leaning against the closed door. "Just call him, tell him how you feel. How do you feel, though?" Se growled and banged her head against the door.
Walking into the kitchen she took her watering can and filled it in the sink. She needed something to talk to.
"I mean, you spen 7 years with the guy, day in day out" she said pouring water onto an already water logued plant pot (she'd been talking to them a lot lately), "fall deeper in love with him every day, but then when you can tell him how you feel, you don't. IDIOT!" she banged the watercan down on the tabel.
She thought back to that day at his house, the day she had gone round to confess her deepest love for him, but things had gotten in the way. She smiled as she thought back to when Jen had been trying to explain to him why the water pressure would prevent him from putting the pipe back in place.
Jack'd be taking her back to Endland today.
Jack would...
She sunk into the nearest chair and collapsed onto the tabel by the phone when she noticed the light was blinking. She pressed the botton then buried her head in her folded arms and listened.
"You have 3 new messages." The automated voice called out. "Message 1"
"Hey Sam, it's Cassie! Just seeing you got home okay, call me when you get there. Come over to stay sometime again, it was sooooooooo much fun! I'm gunna ask mom if we can go to the beach in the last couple of weeks in summer. You should so come! Well, see ya when I see ya!"
"Message 2"
"Damn, machine. Major this is Sargent Stiler." not work, not now, she had tommorow off. "One of the new MALP's just kinda... it sorta... well it blew up. I think we're gonna need you in tommorow. Sorry, have a good evening"
"Bastard..."she swore into her arms
"Message 3"
"Hello, I think this is the house of a... Major Samantha Carter. This is Pine Wood Hospital, a Colonel O'Neill and the young girl he was travelling with were brought in after a car crash a few hours ago.
You were the first phonenumber we found on them. We just thought you might need to inform someone, or you might wish to come see them. They're both in stable condition...."
She didn't hear the rest. She was already running to her car.

"Jack. Jack O'Neill. Is he okay."
"Wait a minute let me see if I can find him."
Sam was growing more and more impatient with the nurse.
"Oh, here we are! He's down there on the left, John would you show them?"
A young male nurse lead her down the corridor where she heard her former CO and his niece before she saw them.
"IT WAS A TREE! A STATIONARY INNANIMATE NOT MOVING MOTIONLESS IN A FIXED POSITION TREE! YOU'RE A BLOODY RAF PILOT! HOW DO YOU MISS A TREE!"
"Firstly, the breaks weren't working properly; secondly, stationary, innanimate and not moving all mean the same thing ang thirdly..."
"He's in the USAF not the RAF. Stop being so English." Sam interupted him as she stepped round the curtain.
Jen snapped out of her rage as she saw her mirror image step round towards her.
"Oh, Sam... hello... you're...here...Why?"
"The desk called me. Said you were in a car crash, so I came over."
Sam looked at the girl who was standing up holding a drip on a stand; there were a few sratches on her face and her arm was in a sling but otherwise she looked fine.
Then Sam looked at Jack. There was another story.
His leg was in a cast hanging in a sling on the bed, there were bandages across his body and nack, and his arm was also in a cast.
"Oh my God, Jack are you okay."
"Mr O'Neill is fine, but he'd be better if he would 'stop moving'!" a doctor said as she followed in Sam. "He'll be fine to go home if his head CT's are clear, but he'll need help for a couple of weeks. Do you have someone around?"
Jack was about to stay no when his 2IC preempted him.
"He can stay with me, if that's okay...sir?" she added in case he thought it too unprofessional still.
'I'm just helpingout a friend, that's all' she told herself. 'The fact you happen to be in love with him is compleatly coincidental.'
He was taken back for a second before accepting the offer.
"You do realise you're gunna have to take me until I can go home, don't cha?" Jen said with a dangerous glint in her eye.
"Like lovers do! I wanna hold you thorugh the night, when I look into your eyes. Like lover do, Oh I'm drowning in an ocean of emotion."

Jen had put on one of her CD's in Sam's car which seemed to be full of songs about forbidden love and love overcoming all obsticalls that made Sam very pleased that Jack was lying asleep on the back seat with enough drugs to sedate a rhino.
"So Uncle J says your a physist? That's my forte too, though I don't think I'm as good as you."
"Really! Well you must be pretty good to get into oxford a few years early!"
"Well... I might be a bit of a genius, haha, but by the sounds of what he's said, you must be pretty darn good!"
"I try my best, but I think most of it goes over his head." she said looking at the man in the back who was beginning to wake up.
"Sam my dear, an explanation of a plug would be over his head."
"I heard that!" came a slightly drunken sounding voice from the back.
"Too bad it's true sir."
"Stop encoraging her Carter."
"Okay! If I'm going to be living with you two for even a few days you WILL call each other Jack and Sam or I will cause you both physical harm!"
"She's not joking either...Sam!" he said with a stress on the last word.
"Oh shut up and go back to sleep, Jack!"
He quickly complyed.
"He's pretty out of it, poor thing. What is this anyway?" she said nodding to the radio.
'I've got a thing about you, and I don't really know what to do...'
"This, it's my own compilation, mostly Roxette, they're my favourite band! YOu can have it if you like, I can make a new one when I get home. Give it a good home"
"Thanks! I will!"
Sam sat smiling in her seat. She'd liked music with this sort of theme recently though she didn't know why...actually that was a lie, she knew exactly why, and with a sly look across so did Jen.

The sun had long since set when they got to Sam's house. All three had talked all the way honme or rather Jen talked Sam listened, and Jack slept in the back oblivious. Sam could tell immediatly that she was going to get along with her, even though she was clear to go home in a couple of days if her head injury didn't show any symptoms.
Jen had stopped talking to them for a few minutes to talk to her mother on the phone, so the Major took the opportunity to speak to the old colonel in private.
"Go throung Iraq, goul'd attacks, replicators and saving the world GODknows how manytimes and my biggest scar'll be from a tree!" he quipped as he adjusted the bandages around his midrift which covered a gash running down the whole of his back deep enough to leave a permanent mark, but shallow enought to avoid any serious damage.
"A tree. I know no more, know no less."
"you don't think it could be..." she dropped her voice and leaned in "...someone trying to get rid of you"
"WHAT's going on her then!" Jen exclaimed as she rentered the room seeing her uncle and the women she knew he loved leaning in very close to each other. They jerked back quickly.
"Nothing! Just talking about the accident."
"I see... Well, Mum says that she's very pissed at you" points to Jack, "and very thankful to you" points to Sam. "So! what's happening now?"
"Well, I think the colonel..."
"OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD CALL HIM JACK OR I WILL SHOOT YOU I SWEAR!"
"Gha!!! Okay, okay, Jack, don't kill me! well then 'Jack' can sleep on the couch so he can keep his leg raised, and Jen, there's a room upstairs you can sleep in, second on the left."
"Thank you" she said grabbing her bags and scurrying off. Leaning back to be viewed through the door way, she called in a very suggestive tone "I'll just leave you two... alone then." Then she disappeared up the stairs.
"She certainly, talks a lot doesn't she." Sam said as she placed a cusion under Jack elevated leg.
"Yes she does. You'll get used to it. Or you'll kill her, which ever comes first."
'Tell him Sam...'
"Jack?"
"Hmm?"
'Tell him!'
"I just want to say that..."
'TELL HIM!"
"Just wanted to say that..."
"Zzzzzzzzz"
Sam looked down to see he had fallen back into his fluctuating sleep. She smiled and lightly guided a stray hair back to it's rightful place.
"I love you, but I guess you'll never know."
She stood up from the sofa, and walked towards the kitchen. He may not know now, but a certain evesdropper on the stairs would make sure that he would soon.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Tanwen