Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Numbing the Emotions

by Stef
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Numbing the Emotions

Numbing the Emotions

by Stef

Summary: The flight from the pentagon and Sam needs a shoulder to cry on.
Category: Missing Scene/Epilogue
Episode Related: 209 Secrets
Season: Season 2
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/04/03

Numbing the emotions

She was unusually quiet.

Sure, she could be quiet when she wanted to be, when she wasn't reeling off streams of technical jargon, usually whilst she was playing with some doohickey she'd found. But now...no, this was different, very different.

Hands clenched together, knuckles white, eyes gazing out of the plane window; only this time her eyes where devoid of emotion, they were just staring. And sure, her skin was pale- a sure outcome of the hours she spent working and sleeping in her lab. Yeah, sleeping; he knew about the all-nighters she regularly pulled and this was no all-nighter hangover. She was white, paper white and shaking like a leaf.

Well, he'd known her for a while. Almost two years of watching each others backs gave him a right to interfere didn't it? Well, not interfere...question. The curious side of his ego was yanked back harshly by the caring side. He almost smirked, two years of knowing that scientist and the caring side of his ego had risen from the murky depths.

A shimmering tear trickled down her ghostly cheek and the caring side of his ego made up its mind. Motioning to the stone still SFs at the door to leave, which they promptly and silently did, he crossed the body of the aircraft and seated himself next to his 2IC.

"Carter?"

Maybe his caring side needed a little more fine-tuning.

Not that his standard inquiry seemed to matter, it fell upon deaf ears.

"Sam?"

He nudged her slightly and a jolt of movement surfaced as she hurriedly wiped her eyes and, gazing at her clenched fingers, responded with a near silent, "hmm."

"What's up?"

She shook her head to indicate the dismissive, although another trickle appeared on her cheek.

He pressed on, "Something's up...Sam you know you can talk to me..."

He couldn't help feeling he was sounding a little patronising and began to wonder whether he should leave her when she shook her head again.

"He's gonna leave me."

Tears had started to fall a little faster now, a steadiness of crystals that prompted his caring side, yet again, to leap creakily into action.

He took one of her shaking hands and enveloped her fingers, squeezing gently.

"He's gonna leave me all alone..." she choked for air, "he's always been here. He...he can't go."

Now she was really crying and he racked his mind, trying to make sense of the tear muffled words. Suddenly it hit him, Carter's dad.

"Sshh, I'm sure he won't leave you."

Trying to be supportive he squeezed her hand again. The gesture though small seemed to rectify the hole he felt he was digging.

She looked at him, her blue eyes shining sadly, "He's.... He's got cancer."

Shocked he blurted out his next response; "It won't be a problem."

"I...I think it is.... H...he thinks it is."

"He might not be right."

As another tear glistened on her eyelashes he realised what a bad response that may have been.

"He's my dad. He's always right," defiance shone in her voice before being choked by the onset of tears, "H...he's always there."

Racking his brains he tried to think of a response that wasn't, "They have great treatments now..."

When he couldn't find one his brain turned off and his feelings turned on, "He's a Carter, he's a fighter."

"Well sometimes, sir, Carter's give up."

He passed the sarcastic use of rank off, and decided to try and voice his feelings better.

"None of the Carters' I know ever give up."

As blue met brown he slid a sad smile, waiting for any kind of response. With a gentle squeeze and a teary sniff his gesture was returned.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Stef