Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Delirium

by Stef
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Delirium

Delirium

by Stef

Summary: Which reality is real?
(I said character death but it really depends which reality you believe is real)
Category: Alternate Universe, Angst, Challenge, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: character death, minor language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/11/03

Response to challenge #1,906
Ok, this isn't really great and it follows the Buffy story line totally but here goes-

Delirium

"How is she?"

The slightly balding man stood at the door, addressing the doctor simply whilst squeezing his wife's hand gently.

"Well, we've administered the new drugs, it shouldn't be long until we see some effects."

He nodded, "Can we see her?"

"She's still delirious, so we have to tie her down," the doctor gestured to the pale white corridor opposite, "if you'd like to wait, we'll call you when she wakes."

Nodding the two retreated slowly down the corridor they had walked so many times, darkly contrasting against the medically white decor. His wife turned, her blonde hair snaking across her shoulders as she stared back at the door that concealed their daughter from view.

He squeezed her hand, "This time..."

+++

"Give me four CCs of morphine quickly and for god's sakes, restrain her before she hurts herself."

The rest of Sg-1 looked on in horror as Janet rushed around her, hooking her up to the various monitors that the room offered. Sam writhed on the bed; eyes glazed and open, thrashing out at the people that surrounded her. Incoherent mumblings poured from her mouth as she stared at the ceiling of the room, her face etched in fear.

Janet crossed the room to the small group, "Colonel, I need to know what happened."

His mind froze before he could answer, "We were being fired at, she fell before the gate and I had to carry her through."

Teal'c looked at Jack, "I believe she was hit with a dart."

"Right," she practically ran back to her patient, "We'll need to take a blood sample, Jennings, make sure she is properly restrained."

The needle glinted in the light as Janet prepped Sam for a blood test.

+++

"I've had the results from the latest tests back," Doctor Fraiser reported, handing the man in the white coat a copy of them.

"The drug was successful?"

"Yes. We should be seeing signs of a recovery very soon."

A young nurse opened the door to the office nervously, "Sir, she's awake."

Fraiser looked thrilled, "Shall I tell her parents?"

"Yes, it might aid Samantha's recovery if she sees them."

+++

"Sam, can you hear me?"

Blinking sleepily she gazed up at Janet as the tiny MD hung above her head, her face covered in concern, "What happened?"

She tried to sit up but felt a restraining hand on her shoulder, "You was hit by a dart. The poison spread very quickly but we think we've got it out of your system."

"I have work I need to do," she tried to sit up again, her head feeling strangely fuzzy.

"No you don't, Carter," she could feel his hand near to hers on the bed, "You need to get some rest."

"I don't want to..."

Her head reeled and she blacked out.

+++

"Sammie?"

"Mommy," her mind was still reeling and she stared up at the disorientated faces above her.

"That's right honey," somebody picked up her hand, "We're here now."

She tried to focus again, staring at the drip in her arm she tried to pull it out of her hand.

"No sweetie," now she could hear her dad, "That's making you better."

Still finding it hard to see images swam across her mind, shakily she pointed at her parents, "Where's Jack?"

He mother looked confused, "Jacob, who's Jack?"

The nurse who had been silent up until this point spoke up; "She must mean Jack O'Neill. He's a handyman here...He used to come talk to your daughter but he's on duty at the moment."

"Jack's not a handyman, he's a colonel..."

The worked struck her parents like a bullet, her mothers eyes filled with tears.

"He works..."

"At the SGC," the doctor walked forward, sighing slightly; "Nurse, try increasing the dosage."

"No, go away..."

Sam began to lash out at the nurse who was approaching her, "It's ok Samantha, this won't hurt. It will stop the hallucinations."

"No... This isn't real.... I don't belong here!" she was screaming now and her father placed his arms around her sobbing mother, "You're not real, you're supposed to be dead..." She pointed at her mother.

"Come on," Jacob tied to pull her out of the room as Sam started screaming.

"Nurse, we need to tranquillise her."

+++

She poked at the blue Jell-O in front of her as he pulled up a chair and seated himself next to her.

The commissary was relatively quiet, given the time of day. He watched her quietly for a few minutes as the spoon continued to play with the contents of the small dish.

"It's not poisoned you know."

As she threw a shirty look at him he realised what he'd said, "Sorry."

"I keep getting flashbacks...I think it's still wearing off y'know?"

Daniel grinned, "Yeah. You just keep taking the medications Janet gave you."

"Yeah," she poked her desert again, "Daniel?"

"Yeah?"

"You know when you went to the alternate Earth?"

"Yeah..." he looked at her suspiciously.

"Oh...I doesn't matter," she pushed aside the Jell-O and stood up slowly, "I'll be in my lab."

"You want me to..."

"No, it's ok...I'll see you later."

Mind reeling she headed out of the commissary.

+++

"Hey Sam, how you doin?"

She didn't respond, instead looking at him with glazed eyes.

"I heard you're getting better?"

Her eyes narrowed as she concentrated, "Jack?"

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

He grinned at her and she smiled back, "Am I dead?"

The whiteness around her was dazzling to her partially drugged mind.

"No silly," he took her hand and squeezed it gently, "what makes you think that?"

"It looks like heaven..."

He grinned broadly, "It can't be heaven, I'm here," he watched her brow furrow in confusion, "I've been cleaning, didn't you know."

"Oh...." Her face clouded again, "Since when have you cleaned sir?"

He looked at her sadly and laced his fingers around hers, "For quite a while..."

Outside the door the doctor watched them both, annoyed that he had not yet been able to bring her out of her delirium.

Doctor Fraiser caught sight of him in the corridor, "George, I was just looking for you."

+++

Janet knocked gingerly on Hammond's door, only to find Daniel and Teal'c already inhabiting the office.

"Doctor, I'm presuming you're here on the same grounds as Teal'c and Doctor Jackson?"

"Sir, I'm concerned about Sam's recovery."

"As too am I, doctor Fraiser."

"What concerns you Major?" Hammond looked a little worried.

"Well, for one thing sir, I have no idea where she is."

"I think she's in her lab," Daniel replied, "I sent Jack up to see how she was."

+++

The screaming in the room was almost unbearable to her parents as the stood watching her daughter treading the thin line between reality and imagination. Beside her bed the nurse was over-dosing her on drugs to bring her into reality for those precious few seconds whilst the doctor prepared himself.

Sam's eyes opened sleepily and the screaming subsided.

"Samantha? Can you hear me?" The doctor spoke as clearly as he could.

Her eyes opened wider as she focused on the owner of the voice.

Doctor Hammond turned to her parents; "It's now or never."

They nodded quietly.

He gesticulated in return, "Nurse, if you could be so kind."

The nurse heightened the dosage and Sam's eyes cleared slightly.

"Samantha," she began to thrash out, "You have to kill them. You have to kill them all."

+++

The lab was dark when he opened the door, something that hit him as odd the minute he'd opened it.

As far as he could see, there was no sign of Carter although her computer screen was flickering with the things she had been working on. He decided to take a look, flicking the switch on the grey wall as he did so and filling the once dark room with light.

The computer screen held two words, "I'm sorry."

Behind him he heard the pistol cock.

+++

They waited; something that in the many years Sam had been at the institute they had done repeatedly, as she fell into a drugged sleep. The doctors were sure that she had been thrown back into the reality she thought she lived in with those words imprinted into her semiconscious mind.

All they could do was wait.

"You have to kill them, you have to kill them all."

+++

"Carter?"

Ghostly pale in the light she was shaking, the gun clutched in her white knuckled fingers as she aimed it at his heart. Her eyes were glazed, but this time with tears as she stared at him. Confusion flooded from her shining blue eyes.

"Sam?"

"I have to kill you.... You're not real."

"I am real Sam."

"I wanna go home..." a tear trickled down her face.

"You are home."

The gun lowered and he ventured a ginger step towards her.

It sprang back up, aimed at his head; "You're not real."

"I am real," he repeated calmly.

"Well one of us isn't," her voice had gained a scary pitch and her words were slurred, "And which one is it?"

Jack remained silent, staring at her.

"Why don't we do a little test to find out."

Her hand shook as she pushed the revolver up against her own skull, a manic grin appearing across her face.

"Don't do it Sam," his voice started to shake.

"If I shoot myself and I die then obviously I'm real."

"You don't want to do that."

"If I die then I won't have to listen to the damn voices in my head..." She yelled, her eyes rolling slightly.

"Sam listen to me..."

"Shut up," she screamed, hands clasping her head as she sunk to the floor, "stop telling me what to do."

"Sam..."

Her head swung upwards, staring him straight in the eyes with tears blatantly pouring down her cheeks, "They're telling me to kill you."

He weighed up his options and slowly began to edge towards her.

"They won't stop telling me what to do."

"Sshh," he crouched in front of her, placing his hand over hers and sliding the gun from her fingers.

"I don't want to kill you..."

He threw his arms around her as she sobbed into his chest, clinging to him tightly.

He stroked her hair gently, "You're home now," he murmured.

+++

A long and continuous sound emanated from the machine their daughter was hooked up to.

The doctor grimaced, "I'm sorry, we've lost her."

+++

Like I said, it's heavily based on the Buffy story line :)

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Stef