Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Observation

by ScullPell
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Observation

Observation

by scullpell

Summary: Jack was supposed to collect Cassie from school. Though it's not him whose waiting for her.
Category: Angst
Season: Season 7
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-09-07

Title: Observation Author: ScullPell Feedback: annemarie.magerl@t-online.de Category: Hurt/Comfort friendnship, other POV Spoilers: none, though long after Heroes Seaso: 7th season Rating: GEN Pairing: Sam/Jack (hidden) Summary: Jack was supposed to collect Cassie from school. Though it's not him whose waiting for her. Archive: all you want, just tell me and leave it like this Disclaimer: not mine, neither mine, don't make money, just have fun! Author's notes: Okay, Janet is dead, the team has to do without her and that doesn't mean everything works as expected. It's just a little something that came to me around 11 pm. Couldn't sleep until I got it out of my system. ENJOY!

Observation By scullpell

It's a sunny spring day. I sit in front of the school and watch the busses that my kids are about to enter. They aren't really my children. But come on I nearly spent everyday teaching them so in a way they are my kids.

It's still peacefull out here.Class isn't over yet and it will take another five minutes for the bell to ring and the students to storm out of the building.

My eyes wander over the school grounds. Jimmy is mowing the lawn next to the basketball court. Pearls of sweat gather on his forehead in the warm sun.It won't take long until he retires. I think he's earned it. Than there is Ted the fat bus driver. He is prying a burger out of its wrapping his thick fingers having to bend extremely to do so.

But on the street there's something strange. A silvery car is reflecting the bright afternoon sun. The vehicle is vaguely familiar but I can't put a finger on it. A woman is leaning back against it. She's dressed in army pants and boots though she's only wearing a black tank top. Her blonde hair seems dusty. Her legs are crossed, hands put down on her sides against the car, head turned to the floor.

She's injured. Her left hand is in a cast, some bandage wraps itself around her upper arm. The right side of her face is bruisied and the lip is split. She seems calm but also incredibly sad. I'm sure years of military work have made her an enigma on the outside.

I'm startled and drawn out of my observation by the bell. Only seconds later the big double doors open and hundreds of colorfull, running and loudly chatting teanagers exit the building.

Before too many people get outside I make my way to the street in order to keep watch on the children getting into the busses without pushing and fighting. I come to a stop near the blonde strange woman.

Suddenly her head comes up and intensively gazes at the students. A spark of recognition and - I don't know - maybe fear crosses her eyes as she sees a group of girls approach the bus stops. They don't notice the world around them and just chatter away on the days happenings.

The woman doesn't change her object of interest. I'm sure she's here to collect one of the girls but she doesn't make a move to end their "important" discussion. One of the girls - I know her, her name is Cassandra - sees the woman and stares at her. She's recognizing her but she seems shocked to see her just as if she was expecting someone else to collect her and now she's wondering what has happened to explain that change.

Without saying another word to her friends she leaves them and approaches the woman. They never lose eye contact. Standing in front of each other they only stare for a moment. It's as if Cass is asking a silent question and the woman is answering just by looking at her. Then the girl opens her mouth.

"How bad?"

An nod of the lady. "Really bad." Tears are now glistening in her eyes.

"Surviving chance?"

"Don't know."

"Anybody else?"

"Daniel", a small humorless laugh escapes the woman. "Graze shot, broken ribs, concussion."

Graze shot? Surviving chance?What the heck is she talking about? Cassandra doesn't seem to be too shocked!

"Teal'C?" What's that? An animal?

"Cuts and bruisies. Will be fine."

"You?"

Pause. "Nothing."

Nothing? She looks as if she just passed a boxing match with somebody twice as big as herself and she says that it's nothing? Someone should really talk to her.

"You sure?", Cass asks. Her face suddenly worried. More worried then a girl at her age should be. They are talking so little yet they say so much. That they love each other. That they love those other people. That times are hard but that they would stand together an survive this.

"Just a scratch.", the woman replies. She isn't really here. Her thoughts are far away. I think she doesn't even feel her injuries her mind occupied with something completely different, or someone?

"Come on jump in I'll get you home."

"No I want to see Jack an the others."

"Cass-"

"Please."

The woman exhales loudly and combs through her hair with her good hand. Now I see that she's tired. Not only physically but also mentally.

"Okay. But you won't sleep on base."

For now Cass seems satisfied and they get into the car. I can't hear anymore what they're talking about. Though after a moment they embrace each other. Both having tears in their eyes. Then the car starts and speeds of into the afternoon.

I stand there for a long time and stare into the direction they have disappeared. I got a glimpse of the lives of two people. I know now part of their hurt and still I can't even imagine what they're going through.

I turn around and walk back to the building. The school is diserted now. I have to buy milk on the way home.

End.

Please food for me to: annemarie.magerl@t-online.de

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to scullpell