Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Hindsight

by Splash_the_cat
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hindsight

Hindsight

by jann

TITLE: Hindsight
AUTHOR: jann
EMAIL: jannp20@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Action/Adventure, Angst
PAIRING: none
SPOILERS: Lots. Seasons 1,2 3 to beginning of 4.
SEASON / SEQUEL: 4; Second of series - in no particular order - which looks at defining events in the development of the team.
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: angst, violence
SUMMARY: Jack has to come to terms with the consequence of his actions while engaged in battle off world.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Second of my stories. Motto:'Just DO it'.

The attack had them all pinned down and separated and cut off from the Stargate. SG5's intelligence had been wrong from the start - on several counts - the presence of Goa'uld on the planet, the level of technology of the indigenous people, the terrain. And now he heard through the signal General Hammond was relaying to him, that SG5 were on the other side of the gate... waiting to come through in a desperate rescue attempt, to try to put a few things right. Jack O'Neill thought he'd probably have Colonel-Mudhead-John-Duncan's head for this....

SG1 and SG6 had come together six weeks from SG5s original mission to make peaceful contact with the people and look to establish trade. The mineral deposits here were rich and accessible - Carter had been delirious with excitement when the size of the Trinium and Naquada fields had been demonstrated to her at SG5's debriefing. Teal'c had had very little to comment on the world. He had not encountered it before, and the structures they were shown did not indicate any recent Goa'uld technology. It looked like they were long gone. Daniel had made some noises about learning some important stuff about Earth's past - there were several large decorative artefacts some distance from the Stargate which bore some resemblance to structures like the Indus Valley temple sites, only bigger, REAL, and in full glorious technicolor. He had grinned widely and his eyes had taken on that sort of glazed appearance as SG5 had raved about the friendly reception they had from the people of the world... The people had, in contrast to their welcome mat, been guarded and non committal about the mineral deposits and the likelihood of exchange, but had been eager for more people from the Tau'ri to visit.

Fooled.... they had been tricked... The world was in deep with the Goa'uld, if not inhabited by them, at least on proper trading terms... minerals, resources, the odd host here and there - after all they were an exceptionally beautiful people - and there was major employment for their bounty hunters on the look out for hosts from off world to swap for the regular ration of their own people.... They had made a move on them the first night, and they had escaped, barely, with their skin intact. That was to change as they were pursued long into the next day, as the Teams took the straight route to the Stargate. The advance team - Teal'c, Cranshaw, Ciarbane, and Captain Rivers - had made it a half hour before the rest and dialled through a request for help, and then they had doubled back to lay charges around the Gate perimeter, and to wait for the others... They had used up the charges in the first volley on the Gate, even before the rest of the team arrived, and they were now between the Gate and enemy fire... but barely...

Jack looked around now hoping to catch sight of all the members of this little incursion, as he acknowledged Hammond's command... with a little aside that he would do all he could to be through before he would rely on Duncan for assistance... He counted four of the five members of SG6. Sam was safely holed up to his left, in a secured position, with the young ensign from Cranshaw's team... Good... One less rookie to watch out for... Teal'c, Cranshaw, who was wounded, from the look of him, and the two others from the mainly scientific and investigative team, were behind him, nearer to the Gate, in a leafy depression. With a bit of cover fire they would make it to the Gate first when - if - Duncan arrived soon. He caught a motion from Teal'c, who slid into the gully with Cranshaw. The movement provoked a hail of enemy fire. He waited anxiously for Teal'c to gesture that he was okay. The signal came and he sighed, gratefully. That left their Daniel, of course, and SG6's Lt. Fellows - Janni Fellows - the daughter of a former CO of his. Daniel and her had been joggling along together, deep in conversation, only ten minutes earlier. She had been fascinated by something he was saying to her. They had been laughing with their heads together all trip, even since things had turned so very badly wrong - damn Daniel and those big blue eyes, he'd have to give him a serious lecture on messing with the emotions of the lady airmen in the SGC... He guessed they were in a hole together somewhere. He yelled to Carter, and saw her yellow head shake when he asked if she knew where Fellows was. Damnit. The enemy - who appeared to be well equipped with projectile weapons, at least on a par with theirs, were moving in... He saw Carter hit one of them, and young Knight winged another, and the assault halted for a moment.

" DANIEL.. ? FELLOWS...?" he yelled at the top of his lungs. He needed them all in scooping distance for when the Gate flared into life, or he knew the odds went down significantly that they would all be going home. He had already decided to take the back route and not wait for Duncan to come through and lay up covering fire. He heard a muffled reply... to Carter's left.... shit, the other side of the ravine like Carter and Knight, but further out... " GET HERE...." he roared, angrily. He instantly heard noises to his right and above him, and he half-turned, catching movement. His heart seemed to lurch into his throat and he let off a burst of machine gun fire into the bushes above... giving cover if the others wanted to make a move to get into more secure ground down here with him. A few moments more and hell would break out, and he wanted his kids here with him... He heard a squeal from the bushes and felt a prickle of fear... Shit... Feeling light-headed suddenly, he popped his head carelessly above the top of his hole and looked out.

" Jack..."

Shit... He HAD recognised the voice. He squeezed his eyes closed briefly... God give him strength... and took a deep breath.

" Are you hit, Danny ?" Please.... please.... please.

" Mmm... Think.... you shot me, Jack..."

"... Damnit.... Can you get over here ?" He felt cold.

"... I... I guess...."

" Sam. Lay down some cover over here... Daniel's at ten o'clock and he's coming down to me..."

The major obeyed instantly. They watched as Daniel slithered out from cover on his belly, and tumbled head first into the rocky hole with the colonel. He caught Daniel's shoulders and wrestled him into his arms as they fell into a heap on the soft earth. The weapon fire ceased abruptly. He could hear his own heart thudding in his ears, and Daniel's harsh breathing. He hardly dared to look him over. He pulled out from under Daniel, hearing the short gasps of pain as he shifted him. He then took a cautious look at the enemy positions again before he gave his attention to Daniel.

"What the hell were you doing coming at me like that ?"

" You told me to... to come..."

It was true. " But I thought you were with Fellows... " He looked to his bleeding friend and hated himself.

Daniel smiled... a serious half smile which wrenched at his gut... "I'm sorry...."

Shit, Danny, don't do this... " No, I'M sorry... for crying out loud..." Jeez... Am I sorry....

He paled as his gentle hands probed three bullet wounds to the right side... one just below the ribs, oozing dark blood; one low in the abdomen; and a deep, but less sinister-looking hole in his thigh. The leg wound didn't appear to have hit anything vital, and was not bleeding badly. Jack tore open a pressure bandage from his pack, pulled Daniel's black shirt from his pants and rolled it up. He pressed the bandage to the entry wound under his ribcage - Danny's lungs were doing overtime trying to suck air in, and his skin felt cold... slick with sweat, and blood... He shivered. Jack guided one of Danny's hands to the bandage and told him to press down hard, and not to stop pressing... His voice allowed no argument, or discussion - Daniel nodded and continued to suck in breaths through clenched teeth. Jack avoided looking at the frightened, pale face under his. He knew how it would look - knew the expression well enough by now - and this time it had been his own bullets slamming him on his backside... Not own fault, this time, either. Sure he should have said something... but as he was trying to keep out of sight of the damned Kamla army and was trying to work round to Jack quietly, he had probably figured, reasonably, that he was in far greater danger if he opened his mouth... Shit... He NEVER fired off like that... Why hadn't he checked ? Because he assumed Daniel was with Fellows on the far side... Because he was an asshole... Shit...

Daniel flinched and drew pale lips back from his teeth with a hiss, as Jack pressed down hard on the lower wound. He drew his legs up and tried to curl into the pain. Jack patiently soothed him until the pain eased and then gently pulled his legs down again...

" No-o, Jack... " Daniel pushed him away feebly.

" Let me finish up.... I know it hurts, Danny, but there's a lot of bleeding and these bandages will sort that out... when I'm finished up...." His head shot up at a shrill call from Carter. " Carter ?"

" Colonel... there's more movement on the right flank. We'll try to draw their fire but you're pretty vulnerable down there..."

" Can't be helped, Carter.... Can't move off just yet..." He smiled briefly at Daniel... cursing, cursing silently under his breath...

" You have to sir...."

" Get out, Jack..." Daniel shoved him with both hands, and a sob of frustration escaped, involuntarily.

" Shut up, Daniel. I'm not leaving you... Duncan will be here in a matter of minutes.... We're all going to get out of this..." He continued to wind the bandage around his friend's waist, and moved Daniel's hand back to the sodden bandage four inches higher. " Press on that, damn you..." Daniel gave him an anguished look, breathed out shakily, and greyed out...

" Colonel O'Neill !"

Teal'c ? Yeah. He'd listen to Teal'c. " Yeah." He sounded a long way away. He had done as well as he could with the field dressings and had manoeuvred Daniel's head onto his pack.

" There are Kamla troops moving towards your position. I do not believe the reinforcements will arrive in time to defend you there. We will give cover fire and you must withdraw..."

" Teal'c, damnit, Daniel's hurt. I can't move him..." he growled, angrily.

" I will assist you..."

" No!" Jack yelled through gritted teeth. Daniel flinched as Jack moved beside him. " Is that clear ? Teal'c ? You move off as soon as SG5 arrives..." He knew Teal'c's loyalty to him and Daniel would test that order significantly, but he did not want anyone else placed in danger... A blast above his head made him crane around... He took a long look at Daniel's white face, and squirmed up to the rim of the trough again. He aimed at the swiftly moving figures above and fired. They didn't seem to care how many of them were hit. They just kept on coming, slowly, but remorselessly. He felt a stab of fear, and then gasped as he heard more movement behind him and he turned...

" TEAL'C, damn you to hell... I've already filled one of my team with bullets, I'd sort of like it to end with one..."

" I am sorry, O'Neill. I believe you will need help to move back to the Stargate."

" I believe I probably will. But you disobeyed a direct order..."

" I am prepared to be reprimanded."

Jack snorted. He loved this guy. He lost his grin as he watched Teal'c taking in the extent of Daniel's injuries.

" Daniel Jackson is bleeding badly, we must go now..." he whispered softly to his friend, then took Daniel under the arms and transferred him easily onto his shoulder. Jack nodded - pale and sort of defeated now, grateful to have Teal'c there to mop up the wreckage. It had been many years since he felt this tired...

Jack motioned to Carter and they all rose as one, pulling back nearer the safety of the Gate, closing the yards, ten, thirty, fifty - flipping one by one up and over the stone rim which surrounded it. Teal'c was hit by a glancing shot to his arm. He didn't flinch, but kept hold of his charge until they got in over the wall. Behind it they were relatively safe. Until they had to make the final dash... They probably should not put too much faith on Duncan's team arriving in time for that show.... The Kamla were moving in, and would just keep coming now until they had either killed all the Tau'ri, or driven them back through the Chappa' Ai...

" Colonel..." Sam was breathless.

He looked into her dirt spattered face and into wet blue eyes. " Major... have we got everybody here ?" He was simultaneously attending to her, and pulling at Teal'c's jacket to see the damage to his arm.

" Yes sir."

" Well THAT'S something at least. We have to work on the 'keeping together' tactics, I think..."

"....Jack ?"

He turned to the owner of that voice, and swatted affectionately at his friend beside him. " Daniel ?"

" Are we going home anytime soon ?"

Jack looked down at Daniel's weary face... Hell when HADN'T that face been weary these days - Machello... Orban... whoa, Sha're ?... Netu... The Harsesis boy.... All that shit with Nick... He smiled at him, then looked up. Where the hell were SG5 anyway ? If they'd been relying on them... " Janni. Dial us up. We've nothing to wait for. And stay safe. These guys want us dead first. They might settle forgone, if that's all they have... but they would rather havedead. That sound right to you ?"

The young woman nodded sharply. She touched Daniel's leg gently, miserably, and then skipped the few steps to the DHD.

In seconds the wormhole blossomed, and they heaved towards it as one....

" Just let's go over the withdrawal, again, Jack. I have dismissed the teams purposely in order that I get the clearest possible picture here..." Hammond ground on incisively.

" I told you, sir. We were attacked without warning. Cranshaw and his team could take some lessons from Daniel in shaping up their combat awareness... They were all over the place... But we got out and had a fair run on them at first. I was to blame for Daniel getting hurt. I thought he was with Lt. Fellows. He wasn't. He read my command to fall to... well, that is, he read it like Isaidit.... only he was supposed to be the other side of the ridge, not behind me... and I opened fire... on him..." he looked down at his boots. He felt sick... angry... heartbroken...

" Jack. I know it isn't one bit of use telling you it happens. You were unexpectedly under fire.... heavy, continuous fire. You had a wounded team leader and some raw new recruits. You didn't expect Doctor Jackson to be that near to your position. You had a choice to make. Daniel didn't alert you ?"

Jack shook his head and was about to add a rejoinder, but Hammond continued. "Daniel should have alerted you somehow, and didn't, and you were right to think he was a threat...."

" I shot my own man..." Worse. I shotDaniel... "That can't happen."

" Jack. Get on down to the infirmary and check out your team. Then I want you off base on R&R for a couple of days. What you need is a chance to clear your head, and some uninterrupted sleep..."

" Thank you , sir. It won't make a difference to any of this, but..."

" Dismissed."

Sam was there, as usual. It was always Sam who did the vigils whenever anyone was hurt. That was why there was always a bus queue outside the infirmary if ever she was in there. She looked up briefly as he came in. She was tired, pale.

"How's he doing ?" Jack stood behind her. Arms folded.

" He's poorly, sir.... 'You seen Teal'c ? "

"...What does Janet say ?" He pressed the heels of both hands into his eyes.

" Wait and see.... That what she says... They repaired a tear in his liver, and the damage to his gut, but there is the risk of infection...."

Fraiser appeared at his back. ".... I'm sure he'll be fine colonel. Pity it came so close on the appendectomy last month, he's still pretty fragile from that - hell, if he'd done this first we could have taken care of the grotty appendix at the same time..." Janet grinned and then considered the sombre faces before her. " Really. I'm sure he'll be fine. We're just watching for infection, is all."

" And then... ?" he spoke very softly.

" We treat it. It takes a little longer. We're not going to lose him, colonel." Janet smiled, surprised by the colonel's expression. Lost. Afraid. He was concerned, naturally, but sort of fragile himself. She patted his arm, and surprised herself. " Why don't you both just go and sleep ? He's not going anywhere."

" I.. I'd rather stay, if that's okay," Sam said quietly. " Won't sleep - never do after combat. Do you, sir ? I never can. Anyway, I feel sort of... responsible... " She considered her feet, long and hard, before turning to her CO.

" Youwhat? No, Major. You aren't responsible..." Sam heard the unspoken words as her colonel leaned forward to pat Daniel on the head.

" We had a... I sort of told him off... about Fellows, sir. I'd already had words with her about getting some focus - just like you said, sir. He wasn't helping - you know how he is when his mind goes on that track and he's off consuming information - and he had her hooked along with him. I - sort of separated them - put Fellows on Six with Knight. He was trying to hook up with you. If they'd been together..."

" Carter. I shot him. Not because you split him and Fellows, not because of anything HE did wrong, either, but because I didn't check. I assumed. And he could so easily have been dead. Shit, the way he looks now, he still could be dead." Jack winced, squeezed Daniel's shoulder, and left.

" O-oh dear !" Janet grimaced, her eyes following him out. She checked the IV bag, marked off a couple of things on Daniel's chart, and walked away.

So THAT was the trouble. SG1 were such a complicated bunch. She decided to stop trying to fathom them. She saw Teal'c on her way through to the main ward. " How're you feeling Teal'c ?" He was dressed and appeared well. He was looking under a pad on his upper arm with interest.

"I am well, Doctor Fraiser. I think this wound is sufficiently healed for me to leave."

" Thanks again to your symbiote. Daniel could use some of that healing power about now... Colonel O'Neill been around ?"

" He came to see me before he went in to Daniel Jackson. He will not be persuaded that Daniel's injuries are not his fault."

" Perhaps because it's true. They are 'his fault'. He performed a little less than brilliantly this time. We aren't going to blame him for it and Daniel was already apologising when we took him down to surgery. But we can't stophimfrom beating himself up, Teal'c., you're right."

Teal'c looked at her impassively. Then he smiled gently. " You are correct. It is difficult for me sometimes to understand the way humans behave..."

Janet smiled back. " Some are more difficult than others, Teal'c. Unfortunately, you have attached yourself to a pretty complex bunch..."

" How IS Daniel Jackson ?" his eyebrow raised.

" Sick. Going to get sicker. But he'll be fine."

" He is extraordinarily resilient."

" He is indeed."

"... But surely he can't think any of it was his fault... surely no one's blaming him...?" Daniel sat up too quickly and grimaced as the stitches pulled painfully against his skin. Teal'c raised his eyebrows but said nothing as he watched his friend try to settle back against the pillows with as little further pain as possible. " Teal'c ?"

When Teal'c stayed silent he looked ominously like repeating the whole process.

" You should lie quietly and move only slowly. You will damage yourself, Daniel Jackson."

Daniel sighed in frustration. " Tell me what's going on, Teal'c. It's hard to lie still when nobody will tell me what's happening... Where is he ?"

" I have told you everything. O'Neill has not been to the SGC for three days. He has signed himself out and has indicated he does not want contact. He was HERE this morning before you woke but left before noon. Major Carter spoke to him. You must ask her."

Daniel had been transferred to the Academy Hospital when he developed a fever, four days ago. He had been only briefly conscious the whole time, but now, recovering at last, he was becoming aware something had gone badly wrong. At first he thought Jack must be injured - maybe badly - or worse.... He had seen Sam for a few minutes earlier, and she hadn't mentioned anything, despite his pleadings, but looked upset, tearful even.Now Teal'c was avoiding talking about him... and he was usually so damned straight that Daniel had sussed the conspiracy right away. He got from him that Jack had told them he was thinking of quitting the team. That he was unhappy with his performance on the last mission, and had been to see Hammond about filing some sort of 'critical self report'. That he held himself responsible for the losses they had suffered. Daniel did not consider himself to be one of those 'losses'; he was going to get well, he was a recoverable one.

Doctor Fraiser had warned Daniel's visitors not to get him upset, and not to go into the situation with Colonel O'Neill. But she was not the one faced with trying to answer his dogged line of questioning. And Teal'c did not lie well. He watched as Daniel Jackson worked himself up further. His face had been so pale for the last few days. Now it was heated and angry. He sat up again, judiciously this time. He kicked at the blankets. " Get me a phone, will you , Teal'c ? I'll call him."

" I'm sure he will come back tonight to see you, Daniel Jackson. It is the SGC he wishes to part company with, I believe. Not you."

Janet stuck her dark head around the door. " Being truculent, Doctor Jackson ?" She came in and scowled at the displaced pillows and sheets, and began to tidy him up. " If you're going to sit up, let Teal'c - or someone - help you. You pull the stitches, it could be another week before you're out of here..."

" Fine."

" So, what's the yelling about ?"

" Jack. Tell me about Jack."

" Colonel O'Neill is upset. The general is giving him a few days to clear his head. This whole thing has made him think about things ... look at things... out of perspective. He'll be okay."

" You're kidding aren't you ? Jack doesn't think thingsbetter, Janet.... he'll think things much worse. I need to talk to him."

" SOMEONE needs to talk to him. Not you. You're staying right here. He said he'd call by later." She eyed Teal'c with irritation, and he looked back at her helplessly.

Daniel looked at her, sulkily. " So what's he fretting about, anyway ? We all got back... We DID all get back ?" A flash of panic, as he grabbed Teal'c's arm.

" Major Cranshaw is recovering well... there were no other casualties..."

" Teal'c, you were hurt, yourself..." Janet interrupted, then regretted complicating the conversation as Daniel looked anxiously at his friend.

" A scratch, nothing more."

" So, why's he being crazy ?" Daniel whined.

Janet shook her head. " Talk to him later. For now, I need to get some blood out of you, check some stats, and then set the nurses on you to change those dressings... After that you'll want to sleep... Trust me... You will.... So, Teal'c if you don't mind..."

" ...He's... blaming himself... for me getting hurt... Isn't he ?" Daniel's dark blue eyes bored into Janet and then Teal'c.

" Teal'c ?"

" He feels responsible."

" It was my risk. I should have let him know I was there. It was a calculated gamble - on my part - I knew it was a possibility. But I knew the Kamla would shoot me if I let on that I was there. I took the risk - myself. He was not responsible..." His words changed from anger, to sorrow... guilt...

" He would be helped by hearing this... Indeed, you are correct Daniel Jackson... there were risks both ways..." Teal'c began.

" Well Icanthink for myself . Wow, Teal'c, maybe I've been a long time getting some survival-sense, but I HAVE got there. Only... I guess... the rest of you haven't quite the same... confidence... in me..."

Teal'c stared at Daniel and said nothing. Janet watched her two friends solemnly. Daniel, pushed well beyond tolerable limits, looked on the verge of tears - Teal'c was deep in thought. " Daniel Jackson. O'Neill, Major Carter, and myself are warriors. We understand the risks we take. We accept them..."

"... And I don't ? 'That what you're saying ?" Daniel was blazing again now. He hated the weakness, the sickness, still there reminding him how hurt he had been. He tried to get onto his elbows and succeeded with a small grunt. Janet held back. She could minister later. He had something to say. "... Did I help Jack get back at Ra, or not ? Did I get away from Nem... and Klorel's ship... and what about Netu... ? I haven't done TOO badly, have I ? Wasn't it MY wife.... My LIFE... the Goa'uld pissed with ?"

" I said only a few days ago to Doctor Fraiser that you are most resilient... That does not make you a warrior, Daniel Jackson. And it would not be desirable if it were so. For us to benefit from the skills you have, we have to allow greater protection for you. This is no secret. This is so with all the civilians on all the teams..." Teal'c looked into Daniel's hard stare and suddenly smiled sadly. " A few months ago you argued often with O'Neill and me for forcing you to carry weapons... I for one enjoyed those debates..."

"... I lost Sha're in between, Teal'c. I think I woke up..." Daniel whispered, dropping his head, the words sounding tired.

" Then, that is one further sadness..." Teal'c dropped his own eyes, as Daniel's face clouded.

"... Sadness... " Daniel's voice cracked.

" Your viewpoint on negotiation and peaceful reconciliation is as valuable now as ever. I hope you are not telling me you have lost that.."

Daniel looked up, questioningly. " I don't know."

" Just leave it, boys," Janet said, frowning, checking the monitors, watching Daniel's exhausted, anguished face.

" Yeah. Leave it right there...." Jack came into the room holding a bundle of books - a tight look on his face. Janet opened her mouth to say something about clearing off and letting her do her work on Daniel, but a look at both their faces told her to butt out - for just a minute or two more. She just hoped Daniel could make a few minutes more - he looked like he might throw up on his CO... Serve 'em both right.... she thought, uncharitably. She and Teal'c left.

" Okay. So what you so worked up about ?" Jack sat down, face impassive, jaw set.

"... What amIworked up - ? Go to hell, Jack..." Daniel winced as his friend sat heavily on the bed.

" Just asking. I know whyI'mupset, just wondered why a man who has been in a raving delirium for the past week is getting stewed... Since I've been here most of that time, mopping your sorry brow and actually PRAYING over you - I thought it was a fair question. I earned my right to ask. Still if you'd rather make yourself sick, and throw up your guts, go ahead. I seen worse, this week."

Daniel looked at him severely. Couldn't work out if he was kidding. Or not. But he DID feel sick. He sat back, gingerly. "You wanting to quit over me ?" Daniel hissed. Jack turned sharp eyes on him. He sat very still. He looked dangerous, suddenly. " 'Cause if you did, you'd be a fool."

" How's that ?" Jack said slowly.

" I can take care of myself. I don't need a mother, Jack. It's real nice that you care - all of you - but it's not very...respectful..."

" Huh ? What the hell are you talking about Daniel ?"

" It wasn't your fault. Listen... I knew that if I got around the back of them..." at Jack's bemused stare, he clarified. " The Kamla, right ? I knew if I got round them I'd be safer," he laughed sharply at the irony, and went on, "I had gotten split from the others. Sam was worrying about Knight, Janni was on her flank... and I was over the other side and able to get in behind you as they moved in.Problem One. They're coming up on me so I go a wide sweep to get... well WIDE. I can see you below me, and thenProblem Twothere's more of them heading towardsyou. There's you, not knowing I was even there, and the whole patrol of them look like they'll hit upon you.Problem Three -do I yell out to you and give away my position ? Or do I try to get down to you out of the freaking bushes before they see me, so I can warn you and add my Glock to your Machine gun thingy ? It was no choice really... Okay, I see NOW that you KNEW they were there all along, but... well the benefits of hindsights, and all that... I thought If I'd just sat there they would find you. Decided to get down to you, even if you shot at me... See I DID see the possibility... Then you shouted me - and I thought, game's up, you knew I was there all along ! But you didn't, and that's well... karma, I suppose... But it was MY call, Jack... I was trying to be a hero and... bit of a mess, eh ?"

" Daniel ?"

" What ?"

" Shut up. That does not make any sense... And the bits that do... well I'm not sure they help too much." But he was smiling.

" ...And so, you see. It was MY choice. An informed choice..."

" Shut up."

" Not yours." Daniel looked quizzical when O'Neill failed to retort. " And I CAN take care of myself..."

" And THIS proves It ? Go to hell, Danny Boy..."

Daniel smiled, tiredly. The sickness had worn off a little. He closed his eyes. " Can I get some sleep now ?"

" Sorry to have to tell you Danny, but old Doc Fraiser's here with a BIG needle and a couple of Sumo Nurses. You might have to wait..."

"... You still thinking about quitting ?"

" What, and miss Nurse Clarke changing your catheter twice a day for the next week...?"

" Two days..."

" No chance... I'll be here..."

FINI

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to jann