Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

On Death 1: Too Late

by Skyfighter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
On Death Part One: Too late

On Death Part One: Too late

by Skyfighter

TITLE: On Death Part One: Too late
AUTHOR: Skyfighter
EMAIL: samantha_carter2000@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: SJR / Angst
SPOILERS: Urgo
SEASON / SEQUEL: season 4; Part 1 of the "On Death" trilogy.
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: Violence. male/female relationship
SUMMARY: A 'what if?' story. How the end could have happened... (Or come close to.) Let's just assume D+C never happened.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Had to include a Steps song somewhere... Used totally without permission, but it's the same with the disclaimer. It does not belong to me, it belongs to Steps and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands in the production of this fan fic. Ally, my ever faithful beta, insisted with the Steps song... I originally had... But I'll leave it up to your imagination. Daniel's POV.

"Into each life some rain should fall I didn't know I would catch it all/The clear skies have gone and you with them too/ It's not the same now without you../I used to say you're so beautiful/ but it didn't change a thing at all/There's nowhere to run, got nowhere to hide/I can't forget you and I've tried, but I'm a deeper shade of blue/And there's nothing I can do/You're so far, far away/Yeah I'm a deeper shade of me/And I just can't be free/You're so far, far away/You're so far away..."

I listen, grinning, as Jack sings as he packs up his equipment. I'm not quite sure why or even what he's singing. I don't even know that he knows that he's singing. Apparantly, from his point of view, he never does sing.

"Sir, you do realise you're singing out loud, don't you?" Sam grinned at Jack, who stopped singing instantly, almost dropping the GDO. He shuffled a bit, plainly embarrassed.

"Sorry for torturing you," he mumbled, flushing. Sam grinned.

"I don't know when I've ever seen you more embarrassed, sir," Sam digs. She obviously can't let it go. I don't know whether I can either. It's not often that Jack makes a fool of himself.

"Aw, for crying out loud! It's not like you guys don't sing when you're cleaning up!"

Sam blushes. I look at them curiously, and of course I have to ask.

"What do you mean?" Teal'c also raises an eyebrow, also wanting to hear the response. He might not have a totally perfect sense of humour yet (I mean, that joke about how that Settek guard's nose dripped. Honestly!) but he does have a healthy sense of curiosity.

Sam blushes again. "Stay out of this, Daniel." Jack smiles, obviously relieved that the attention had shifted away from him.

"What was she singing?" OK, I asked another question. I started finishing packing away my artefacts and waited for the answer.

"The Pokemon Movie Theme," he said. Sam blushed, and solidly hit him over the back of the head. She grinned evilly.

"At least people could tell what I was singing! And my nephews taught it to me. They've been singing it constantly, how was I supposed not to pick it up! Plus, how do you know that it was the movie theme and not the TV series theme?"

"Because you sang the second verse..." Jack said quickly, then stopped, embarrassed again, as we all stared at him.

Sam grinned, and high-fived me. "ColonelO'Neill, I believe the term MajorCarter and DanielJackson would use now is 'whipped'." Teal'c said tonelessly, however a tiny smirk was playing on his face.

Jack raised his arms in the air. "For crying out loud! Why me?"

"What were you singing, any way sir?" Sam asks. She still can't let it go. Doesn't she know she's walking on dangerous ground by doing that?

"Steps. Deeper Shade of Blue. If you really must know, Carter."

"Really?" Sam's eyes widen, and she laughed, clapping him quickly on the back. "You listen to Steps?"

"When I'm with Cassie I do. Hours of it. Drives me crazy."

"Me too. At least it's not Spice Girls." Sam groans. "Deeper Shade of Blue is my favourite song, though, I'm ashamed to admit."

"Why d'you think I was humming it? Mine too. Apart from the Pokerap."

Sam grinned, and I was getting frustrated. Look, you guys it's OBVIOUS how you feel about each other. Why can't they just out and say it? I look at Teal'c, and he is obviously thinking the same thing.

"The Pokerap? I like the last verse."

"What, the Charmeleon..."

"Wartortle!" Sam barks out in a gruff voice, and they collapse into giggles. Teal'c allows himself a small smile, and I can't help myself grinning.

"Well, we're on a roll... Favourite food?"

"Italian?"

"Yep."

"Book?"

"Do comics count?"

"Certainly. Going with a yes too there, I'm afraid."

Jack whistles slowly, then grins. "What about that, Daniel? Carter's a comic freak!"

"So are you!" I say indignantly.

"Urm... favourite movie?" Carter continues.

"The roll might stop here. Wallace and Gromit: A Close Shave."

"Yes! The one with Shaun in!"

Teal'c raised an eyebrow. "Who is Shaun?"

"The cutest plasticine lamb in the universe." Sam supplied, while Jack nodded, laughing.

"Indeed," Teal'c said, nodding, apparantly confused.

"Poem?" Jack asked.

"On death."

"Really? Morbidly, me too."

I felt like screaming right in their faces. How much do they have in common? Go for it! Why is it obvious to everyone but you?

"Is that the 'On death' by Keats?" I ask, just in the premise of filling the silence.

"No, it's the On Death by Barney the Dinosaur," Jack says seriously. I'm just glad that Cassie taught Teal'c who Barney is.

We just dissolved into giggles, and finished packing up.

"Danny, dial up home!" Jack yells at me, and I lug my bag on and walk over to the DHD, starting to punch in the symbols for home.

"Sir? Something moved. Over there!" Carter waved over to the undergrowth. Jack motioned for me to stop the dial-in.

"Carter? What is it?"

"I'm not sure, sir. There's no sign of hostiles, but just for a moment, I thought I saw..."

"Saw what, Major Carter?" Now there was a slight chance of problems, we had all instantly sobered up and Jack had taken his authoritarian mode on again.

"I'm not sure..."

"Carter."

"I thought I saw a Jaffa warrior." Sam's voice was troubled, as she held up her M15 worriedly. We copied her actions, and it was definitely worth it as a staff weapon blast came out of nowhere, blasting into Sam. "Carter!" Jack yelled as she toppled to the ground. "Carter?"

He turned to the group of five Jafar in the bushes, and held the trigger down on his M15. Within minutes, with Jack, me and Teal'c all firing simultaneously, they were decimated. Jack swore, and dropped to the floor next to his 2IC.

She was hurt really badly, and Jack bent down to check her out.

"I'm not gonna... make it am I sir?" Sam coughed, and all I could do was stare. Teal'c was frozen also, as he scanned the horizon for more Jafar soldiers.

"Course you're gonna make it Carter." Jack's voice was husky as he carefully picked Carter up in his arms, and started carrying her to the Stargate.

"What are you waiting for Daniel? We've got to get Carter back!" He yelled at me, and I quickly stumbled to the gate to finish dialling it in.

Sam coughed, leaning her head against Jack's soldier. She coughed and Jack winced softly.

"Colonel..."

"Just Jack, shush..." he soothed, trying to keep her steady.

"Jack.. Something I have to tell you..."

"I know. I guess I've always known." Jack's eyes were distant as Sam clung to his neck, and he steadily walked to the Stargate.

"You do?"

"Yes, Sam. I love you. I always have. Now shush, go to sleep." Jack's words were quiet, pained, and Sam looked like she was going to protest, then closed her eyes and hung on. I don't think Jack knew that we heard him, but we did. All we could hope for now was for Sam to survive. Otherwise Jack's admission - much as it will have cost him to say it - will have been too late.

The End

Of course there's a sequel. How could I leave it there?

On Death Part 2: How can death be sleep? is the next part, written from Jack's POV. Enjoy!

(Plus, don't know about all of you but I loved Teal'c's joke about how the Settek guard's nose dripped. I laughed for hours after that. Oh, and the undomesticated equines line in 'Message In A Bottle'. And the ending of 'Bane'... And the juggling and golf in that timeloop episode in Season 4. Teal'c can be very funny!)

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Skyfighter