Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

On Death 3: Call My Name

by Skyfighter
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
On Death Part 3:Call my name

On Death Part 3:Call my name

by Skyfighter

TITLE: On Death Part 3:Call my name
AUTHOR: Skyfighter
EMAIL: samantha_carter2000@yahoo.com
CATEGORY: SJR, Angst
SPOILERS: None that I can think of!
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 4; Part 3 of the "On Death" trilogy.
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: male/female relationship, Character death ?
SUMMARY: Third in the "On Death" series. First part was: "Too late", Second Part was "How Can Death Be Life?" I suggest you read the other two first, though I've tried to make it make sense anyway - so you can read any of these as a separate piece of fan fic even though they are a trilogy.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Ally, luv the new hairstyle!!!! And J, please, please, PLEASE stop singing in food tech it's driving me insane. Again, dedicated for Traci, please don't kill me, I've posted it!!!!!

This can't be true. This really can't be happening. I stare at the crumpled piece of paper in my hand, willing for the words to change. I watch mortified as a tear slips down, soaking the paper, and let it drift slowly to the ground.

It's been fifteen years. Fifteen years since that day, when I died, and came back to life. No sarcophagus, or anything. It was my love for Jack, in the end, that brought me back. I blink, as tears threaten to well up again.

Fifty-five, and stilll in action. He always was energetic, and boy, he had bucket loads of stamina. This can't be true. He's a General now. He took over after General Hammond finally retired, on the proviso that General Hammond got the job as civilian advisor. I quit ten years ago, to look after our three children - Charlottle, Danielle and Jake. It can't be true. He still has to watch them grow up. Jake's still six, Danielle seven, Charlotte's nine. He can't be gone.

I stare at the ripped paper on the ground.

"We regret to inform you that General Jonathan O'Neill was reported MIA as of Tuesday 12th July, 2015..."

MIA... it's not possible. It can't be. He wouldn't leave me. He wouldn't.

I know I'm crying. It took me four years to finally admit my feelings. We got married three months later. Fast, I know, but everyone was fed up that we took that long to finally admit our feelings, and everything moved smoothly. Cassie and Janet were delighted, and Teal'c and Daniel were totally surprised when Jack asked them both to be best men. My father appeared to give me away, and General Hammond performed an on-base ceremony, since his wedding gift to us was a breach regulation letting us get married.

It was the best day of my life... Now that little piece of white paper has made this day the worst ever. But I know it's a lie. He has to be alive. He has to come back to me.

Daniel took it kind of hard too. Teal'c says nothing, but he never does. You can tell he's hurting though as well. We all are. Jack's an intergral part of us now. He wouldn't leave. He can't be gone. But he is...

He's missing in action. We all know what that means that he's probably dead, and if he's not, there's only a very, very slim chance of him surviving. I sigh, and close my eyes. Picking up the photo frame by the couch, I take it and curl up, lying my head on the soft cushions, and begin to cry. I might have been bred military, but I was born human, and I can't keep my feelings bottled up. The man I love is gone. I can hardly bring myself to say it.

Slowly, I gaze at the picture in my hand. It's just me and him, on our honeymoon vacation. He's smiling at me, and his heart is in his eyes. How didn't I see that before I died that time? I loved him so much since the first day we met... He did too. Only we were so blinded by our love that we didn't see anything.

"Come home safe, Jack..." I whisper helplessly, pressing the photos tight to my chest. I haven't told the kids yet. I was so sure he'd be coming home. Janet and Daniel offered to take them for the night. The kids wanted to go see Uncle Danny and Aunty Janet, and cousin Cassie. It all seems unbelieveable. Even General Hammond has found happiness with an old love. He got married when Jack replaced him as CO of the whole of SGC. Jack you have to come back. You have to. You and the kids are my life. How can I live without you? I see your face everywhere, do you know that? Everywhere. I can't stop thinking about you...

Jack, I love you. With all my soul. I might have denied it, rejected it for four years, but it was there all the time, and I hope you know that I've never, ever, stopped loving you. Even when Jolinar... I loved you then. I just wish I could tell you. Now it's too late. I tell myself it's not too late, but you'll be back.

You once told me something. You said to call your name, and you'll be there...

"Jack? Come back to me..." I call, but it fades off into the stillness of our now empty house. I just wish he would call my name...

There. I'm crying again. Looks like I've forgotten my military training so soon. Military people are supposed to be detached from their feelings. I guess that's why it took us so long... But I'm not military any more, so it's all right to cry, isn't it?

"Sam..."

I close my eyes as I imagine him calling my name. He invaded every part of my life. We are one. He can't be gone.

"Sam..."

I'm hearing him call my name again. Jack, where are you? I open my eyes slowly, and see his face in the window. Why am I seeing him everywhere?

"Sam..."

I turn, and see him standing there, an angel in the moonlight.

"Jack?" My voice is unsteady. I don't want to believe it's him, but I do. I've been hurt by my dreams before.

Jack walks forwards, and holds me tightly.

"Shush, Sam. It is me. You're not hallucinating. Daniel told me what you'd been through. We got back this morning. It's all over, Sam. The system lords are dead."

All I can do is stare at him, and cry. His face creases up as he sees the pain in my eyes.

"Sam, I'm sorry for leaving you. Anyway, I've retired. It's official. I'm never leaving you again."

I can see the sincerity in his soul-deep eyes, and cling to him, my tears soaking his shoulder. He soothes me quietly, stroking my cheek, which sends a tingle through me.

"I love you, Jack," I murmur, and he squeezes me tightly, never to let go again.

"I love you too, Sam. Always." And as we embrace in the fading light, I know this to be true. Our love will be eternal. No matter what happens, we'll be together.

Always.
Can death be sleep, when life is but a dream, And scenes of bliss pass as a phantom by? The transient pleasures as a vision seem, And yet we think the greatest pain's to die. How strange it is that man on earth should roam And lead a life of woe, but not forsake His rugged path; nor dare he view alone His future doom which is to awake. John Keats "On Death"
THE END!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Skyfighter