Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Party With a Difference

by Sharyl
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Party with a difference

Sharyl

Title: Party with a difference
AUTHOR: Sharyl
EMAIL: satan_stolemy_teddybear@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Romance, Action/Adventure
PAIRING: Daniel/Janet
SPOILERS: none listed
SEASON / SEQUEL: 5
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Sg-1, Janet, and General Hammand are invited to a birthday party that's a little out of the ordinary.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.

"Great," I mumbled to myself as I put the phone down. I had just received a call from General Gravior, inviting myself and most of the SGC to a party to celebrate his fiftieth birthday. It's not that Gravior's parties weren't good ones, it's just that this one was a little different, and I wasn't looking forward to telling Jack he was invited to it.

"Oh, for crying out loud, the man's turning fifty, what does he want to have *that* sort of party for?"

This is why I didn't want to break the news to him, and this is why I told Major Carter about the party first and suggested that *she* tell the Colonel.

"C'mon, Sir," Sam pleaded. "It'll be fun." Jack continued walking down the corridor with Sam and me in pursuit.

"Look, son, if you don't come, Gravior's not going to be very happy." I put on my best 'do it or else' voice and Jack finally gave in.

~~~ Janet Fraiser ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There, I think you'll live," I told Daniel as I finished wrapping his hand in bandages. How he managed to be so accident-prone is beyond me.

"Thank you," he said, looking at me from his position on the edge of an infirmary bed. He gave me a small smile. Did my knees just go weak? Ha, must have been my imagination.

"You're lucky that pen didn't go all the way through your hand. I'm still not very clear on how you did it."

"Uh...that's a long story...uh...did I just hear Sam?" he said, trying to avoid my question.

"I think so," I said. "Let's go see." Daniel hopped off the bed and we both headed to the infirmary door.

"Fine, but I'm *not* wearing something completely stupid!" I heard Jack moan as they came down the corridor.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked Sam, the Colonel and General Hammond.

"Ahh...Doc, just the person I wanted to see."

"Should I be worried?" I asked skeptically.

"Very funny, Doc. I think I'm about due for some more shots, how does next Saturday at 7:30 sound?" I knew I should be worried, I don't know how, women's intuition or something, but the Colonel avoids having shots at all costs. Now he wants them? Something's got to be up.

"Jack, are you feeling OK?" Daniel asked him

"Is ColonelO'Neill unwell?" asked Teal'c as he came down the corridor towards us.

"Colonel O'Neill is just fine" General Hammond informed Teal'c. "He's just trying to get out of going to General Gravior's birthday party."

"General Gravior's having a party?" Daniel asked with a hurt look on his face.

"Yes and you're invited. You too, Teal'c." Now it was my turn to feel left out. Daniel just gave a contented smile and looked at Jack.

"Don't get too excited, Daniel. Ask the General what *kind* of party it is."

Now I'm relieved that the General didn't mention that I was invited, because Daniel got a worried look on his face, his smile faded, and his forehead got these cute little furrows in it...ah...did I just say cute? Must have been my imagination again. Maybe I should get Doctor Warner to check me out.

"Sir?" Daniel asked.

"It's nothing to worry about, Doctor Jackson, Gravior's just having a, uh... costume party for his birthday." I couldn't help it. I tried not to laugh, but that made it worse, my laugh then came out as a loud snort. I got funny looks all round.

"Oh, Dr Fraiser, didn't I mention your name's on the guest list as well?"

I stopped laughing very quickly.

~~~ Sam ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't see what everyone's problem is," I said to Janet as I flipped through the rack of costumes.

"I'm not saying that it won't be, fun Sam, it's just that it's not your average get-together. I think that's what's got to the Colonel."

"Yeah." I laughed. "What about this one?" I asked Janet as I held up a costume.

"It's cute, you should try it on. I'll try this one on," she said, and we both headed to the change rooms. A couple of minutes later we emerged. "Wow, Sam, that looks great!"

I was wearing a leopard-print cat suit that came with a collar and cute little ears. "Uh, don't you think it's a little tight?"

"It's supposed to be tight. Anyway, it looks good on you, you should get it."

"OK, then I will. Uh...what happened to your costume?"

"Oh, yeah, can you help me put the wings on?"

"Yeah, OK." I walked over and clipped them on. "There you go, they're on."

"Well, what do you think?" she asked.

"Well, I don't know," I said,

"Oh...I'll find something else, then," she said, quickly heading back to the change rooms.

"I don't know whether Daniel's jaw will hit the floor, or if he'll just faint."

"Daniel?" Janet asked with a funny look on her face.

"Did I say Daniel? I meant everybody." That woman can be so stubborn, she wouldn't admit she liked the guy, not even to herself.

"Well, let's get changed and go pay for these," Janet said.

~~~ Daniel ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why does ColonelO'Neill not wish to attend this party?" Teal'c asked me.

"Because," I started, "Jack is being a baby."

"Daniel, just because you want to go to see a certain doctor doesn't mean we all want to go."

"Well...I...uh...what about this costume, Teal'c?" How did Jack know that I had a thing for Janet? Was I being that obvious?

"I like that costume, DanielJackson. I will try it on."

"OK then," I said, handing the Elvis costume over to Teal'c.

"Don't try to avoid the question, Daniel"

"I'm being that obvious, am I?"

"A little. Don't worry, though, Space Monkey. We've just gotta get her to notice you at the party and I think I can arrange that."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Oh, nothing in particular"

"Right, so you don't want to tell me. That's fine. So, what about this one?" I said, producing yet another costume from a rack.

~~~ Cassie ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"C'mon Mom, just a little bit, it'll complete the outfit."

"All right, all right, but just a bit."

I ran to my room and rummaged through my drawers. "Ah...there you are," I said to the tube of body glitter, and ran back to the lounge room.

"OK, stand still," I told my Mom.

"Yes ma'am," Mom said, and saluted me.

I gave a small laugh and started applying the glitter. After a few minutes the doorbell rang. "That'll be Sam," I said, and ran to open the door.

"Hi Cassie. Hey, Janet, are you ready?"

"Ready as I'll ever be. Cassandra, have you got your things ready?"

"Yep, they're right here. Sarah's parents are going out at 3:00 tomorrow so they can drop me back home." Mom almost wasn't going to go to the party because she didn't want to leave me home alone. She then seemed almost disappointed when I said that I could stay at Sarah's house for the night.

"OK, great. Let's go then." Sam said chirpily.

~~~ Jack ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm glad you three came early to help set up," General Gravior said, looking more than a little strange in his vampire costume.

"We're just glad to help, Sir," I said with a fake smile. After he had gone, I turned around and glared at Daniel. "I could kill you, Daniel," I said quietly. "You can remember a ton of languages, but you can't remember a simple time?"

"I could have sworn General Hammond said 6:30, not 7:30. Look, people are starting to arrive now."

"You're lucky," I said, giving him one last glare.

"There is GeneralHammond," Teal'c said, pointing across the room. I scanned the increasingly-growing crowd for the General, but couldn't see him anywhere.

"Where? I can't see him," I asked.

"I can, he's over there by that speaker," Daniel informed me.

"In the farmer costume?"

"Yep, that's him."

"It kinda suits him."

~~~ Daniel ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Let's go say hello." I suggested and we headed over to General Hammond.

"Hey, General, nice...uh...costume," Jack said to the man with a straw hat, flannelette shirt, overalls and pitchfork.

"Thank you, Jack, nice to see you made an effort with your costume," the General said in a sarcastic tone to the man wearing a long black coat, black hat and dark glasses.

"This is from a costume shop, Sir. I'm supposed to be a mysterious figure."

"Yes, right...Teal'c, your costume looks good. Yours too, Dr Jackson."

"Thunk yo very mooch," Teal'c said with a strange accent. We all just stared at him for a second before bursting out laughing. Jack had been trying to teach Teal'c how to do an Elvis impersonation. It didn't work.

"Look, there are MajorCarter and DoctorFraiser," Teal'c said once we had all stopped laughing. I turned around and stopped dead in my tracks. First I saw Sam dressed in a tight cat suit. I shot a look at Jack and noticed his jaw drop slightly. A few seconds after Sam came Janet. I thought I was going to drop straight to the floor; my knees turned to jelly when I saw her. Janet was dressed in a simple flowing gown with thin straps. The simplicity of the gown made her look even more beautiful then she usually did. She also had white wings made from feathers on her back, and a golden halo. As the duo walked over towards us, I noticed that Janet appeared to be glowing. On closer inspection, I noticed that her arms, shoulders and face were covered with glitter.

"Hey, guys," Janet said. Everybody said 'hi' back except for me; I couldn't move, I was paralysed. "Daniel? Earth to Daniel"

"Uh...Janet...Hi."

"Thought we'd lost you back there." Sam laughed.

~~~ Janet ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we arrived, I came through the door and almost fainted. Daniel was standing on the other side of the room, not wearing a great deal. Sure, I had seen Daniel with no shirt on before in the infirmary, but this was different. He had on a pair of fairly tight dull leather and suede pants with patches all over them, an armband, and a feathered headdress. Although the tight pants did catch my eye, the thing that attracted me to him most was the lack of shirt and that he had on a tanning lotion or oil or something that made his skin look darker, and made his already well-defined muscles look even better. He looked like a genuine Indian.

"Hey, guys," I said once we had made our way through the crowd. Sam and I were greeted by a chorus of 'hi' and 'hello,' but Daniel didn't speak, he just stared at me. 'I knew it, my costume looks stupid that's why he's staring at me.' "Daniel? Earth to Daniel?" I tried to get him to talk to me.

"Uh...Janet...Hi," he said finally.

"Thought we'd lost you back there." Sam laughed, which was followed by the laughter of the rest of the group, my annoyance at Daniel quickly turned to sympathy; even under the lotion that made his skin dark, his face still turned a lovely shade of crimson.

Jack discreetly elbowed him in the ribs, which gave Daniel a kick-start.

"You look beautiful, Janet," he said. 'Did his face just go another shade darker crimson?' A few seconds later, he said, "Uh...you do too, Sam."

"Thank you, Daniel," Sam said chirpily. Now it was my turn to stare and turn crimson.

"Yeah...Thanks, Daniel." 'That came out a lot quieter than it was meant to.' I caught Sam rolling her eyes at Jack and he mouthed the words 'And so it begins' or at least I think that's what he said. I wonder what that was about.

"Let's go find a table, shall we?" General Hammond suggested.

~~~ Teal'c ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I find these customs very strange, ColonelO'Neill," I said as I observed the room full of people in strange costumes. On Chulak we had parties, but they were very different from this.

"Don't worry, Teal'c, I find it all very strange too," O'Neil informed me. I raised my brow at him as we sat at the table. I sat in between ColonelO'Neill and GeneralHammond. MajorCarter was on the other side of ColonelO'Neill. DanielJackson and DoctorFraiser sat next to each other. DanielJackson had been behaving strangely ever since DoctorFraiser arrived. I had been observing them and it appeared that they were having what ColonelO'Neill calls a flirting marathon.

A high-pitched noise came through a speaker near where we were seated as an embarrassed-looking chef took hold of the microphone. "Sorry about that, if you could all find a seat dinner will be served shortly."

"Ahh, good timing. I'm starving."

"You are often starving, O'Neill. Perhaps you have a medical condition." I often get strange looks from people, I think it is what I sometimes say.

"It's just an statement, Teal'c," MajorCarter informed me.

"I see." I didn't really see. Why say you're starving when you're not? That is only contradicting yourself. Although I have learnt a great deal, I do not think I will ever completely understand the Tau'ri.

~~~ Daniel ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once we had finished our dinner – well, everyone but Jack had just finished, he'd finished ten minutes before - General Gravior made a short speech, followed by a few of his friends.

"Well, everyone enjoy the party," Colonel Patterson finished as the music started up. People started moving out to the dance floor. After a while, Jack shot me a look from across the table. I shot him a look back then stood up. I held my hand out to Janet.

"Care to dance?" I asked her, praying she wouldn't make a complete idiot out of me by saying no.

"Yeah, sure," she said, and took my hand. We walked over to the dance floor just as the up-beat song finished. In its place came Dido singing "Thank You."

"Great, a slow song. Don't tell me Jack set this up," I grumbled to myself.

"Did you say something, Daniel?" Janet asked.

"Uh, yeah. I said you really do look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you," she said, her voice barely audible. It was hard to tell under the flashing strobe lights, but I thought she was blushing. I put my hands on her waist and she put her arms around my neck, and we started dancing slowly. I never realised just how petite she was until now. I mean, I knew she was small, but I only just realised how small and fragile she really was.

We'd been dancing for a few minutes, and Janet hadn't looked at me once. 'Oh, I may have spoken too soon.' She tilted her head up and looked at me with her soft brown eyes. I thought I was going to drop to the floor, I felt like I did when she first walked into the room. At the same time, we both moved closer to each other, both wanting the same thing, our lips now just a few centimetres apart.

"Could I have your attention please? We will now be judging the costumes."

Janet moved her head away quickly, looking embarrassed.

"Damn!" I heard Jack curse loudly.

~~~ Jack ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I swear I could have jumped up and punched the announcer, they were so close. Oh well they'll have another chance, we have a backup plan. We were all lined up on the stage. Talk about corny, they were going to pick out the best and worst costumes.

"Right, people, our three judges are going to have a look at you and then decide the winners," General Gravior announced. We all stood in a line like good little campers while the judges walked past, they then went and had what looked very much like a group hug.

"We have made our decision. The winner of best costume goes to... Janet Fraiser, the angel." A very embarrassed-looking Doc stepped forward and received her prize. This was followed by applause and many wolf whistles. "The winner of worst costume goes to...Jack O'Neill for his...uh..."

"Mysterious figure," I finished.

"Right." The announcer gave me a dirty look, then everyone clapped and laughed.

Once the group had broken up and headed back to the dance floor, Sam leaned over and whispered to me, "Now it's time for plan B."

~~~ Daniel ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well...Uh, wanna dance?" Jack asked Sam.

"Sure," she said, grabbing him and rushing off to the dance floor.

'Sam seems very eager to get to the dance floor,' I thought to myself. I felt somebody tap me on the shoulder. I spun around to find Major Retski dressed as a gypsy.

"Hi Daniel," she said in a sultry tone. As she did I caught Janet rolling her eyes.

"Hi Rachel," I replied in a tone that implied I didn't really want to talk. Rachel had been trying to hit on me almost since my first day at the SGC, and she just wouldn't take the hint that I just wasn't interested.

"So, do you want to dance, Daniel?" she asked. And once again she hadn't taken the hint.

I tried to say no, but all I got out was "Ah...n-" before she grabbed my arm and literally dragged me onto the dance floor. It was an up-beat song this time, so we didn't have to get too close. I searched the crowded room for one of Rachel's friends so I could try to get rid of her without actually saying that I didn't want to dance with *her*.

Ahh, finally, I could see Rachel's friends standing away from the dancers, talking. I tapped Rachel on the arm and pointed to where they were, then started heading over there.

"Hi," I said.

"Hey Daniel, hi Rachel," they all replied. Even if I'd wanted to say anything, I couldn't. As soon as I had said 'Hi,' Rachel started talking to her friends at a million miles an hour. I thought this would be a good time to escape, so I slipped out of the circle and mingled in the crowd.

"Daniel," I heard someone call. 'Great, Rachel saw me leave.' I turned around slowly and was surprised to find a short brunette.

"Oh, Janet, hi," I said, relieved to see her.

"Hi," she replied. "Have you seen Sam? I'm going now, and I rode with her so I need to find her."

"You talkin' 'bout Sam Carter?" Tom Ragran asked in his broad southern accent.

"Yes, have you seen her?"

"Yeah, she left wid Jack O'Neill 'bout fifteen minutes ago. I saw 'em both go in Sam's car."

"Great, I have no way of getting home."

"You can come home with me...I mean, I can take you home." OK, now I understood why Jack gave me the keys to his car when we got here. It wasn't because he thought he'd lose them. He and Sam had planned this all along. Jack would leave with Sam, Teal'c was going with Hammond, and that left me with Jack's car and Janet with no way home.

"Really?" Janet asked. "That'd be great."

"We can leave now, if you like?"

"Yeah, OK then, let's go."

We were in the car, driving to Janet's place. We must have been talking for about half an hour, but it only seemed like a few minutes. I realised how much I enjoyed her company. I pulled into her street, then started to drive slower; I wanted to be with her for as long as possible. 'Oh well, it had to end eventually,' I thought to myself as I pulled into her driveway.

"Thanks for the ride home. I can't believe Sam left."

"That's OK," I said as we both got out of the car. Janet gave me a funny look. "What, I can't be a gentleman and walk the lady to the door?"

Janet laughed. "OK then." I walked with her up the stairs to her front door. "Well, I didn't think I'd have fun tonight, but I actually did," she said.

"Yeah, me too," I said as I leaned forward slowly. Janet put her hand up on my shoulder and leaned in as well. We were so close, closer than we had been on he dance floor. Our lips touched briefly as the door flew open.

"Cassie!" Janet said, surprised, as she pulled her head back quickly. "What are you doing here?"

"Hi, Sarah's mom had to drop me back early, her grandma got really sick and they had to go see her," Cassandra explained. "Oh, hi Daniel."

"Hi Cassie. Well, I'd better get going."

"Oh, OK. Well, I'll see you at work tomorrow," Janet said awkwardly.

"Bye." Luck really wasn't on my side, even with help from Jack. I climbed into my car and drove off. Well, tomorrow's another day.

~~~ Janet ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had paperwork in a pile taller than me stacked up on my desk (OK, slight exaggeration, but there was a lot), but I just couldn't seem to get my mind set on doing it. It kept wandering back to last night. I never realised I had feelings for Daniel, and I couldn't believe how jealous I was when I saw him dancing with another woman. We had been so close to kissing...twice. I stared intently at a medical poster on the opposite wall of my office, just letting my thoughts take over.

"Earth to Janet," I heard someone call. I spun my head over to the door and stood up.

"Daniel, hi, sorry about that, I was..."

"Shh..." He walked over to me and put one hand up to cup my cheek. He moved his head forward until our lips met. I felt like I had just been struck my lightning, my whole body tingled, I felt electric. I closed my eyes and enjoyed the kiss while it lasted.

Finally it was Daniel who pulled away first. "I've been wondering what that would have been like," he whispered, then kissed me again.

~~~ Finish ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well that's it.....no sequel planned but I could do one if anyone wants

Just remember it never hurts to give a little feedback: satan_stolemy_teddybear@hotmail.com

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sharyl