Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Aaliyah's Spirit

by Shana
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Aaliyah's Spirit

Aaliyah's Spirit

by Shana

TITLE: Aaliyah's Spirit
AUTHOR: Shana
EMAIL: lil_angelic_007@yahoo.co.uk
CATEGORY: Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: any
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: Aaliyah's death affects someone very much...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors. The song "One in a million" is not from me but from Aaliyah and no copyright infringement was intended. RIP Aaliyah, I love you.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: I hope you like the story, I wrote it a couple of days after Aaliyah died. I would love to get feedback to know if anyone actually reads my stories. Thanks Insa for betareading and anyone that read it till now :)

Sam Carter had been working for some hours when the rest of her team-mates entered her lab. She looked up and was a little surprised. They hardly came all together, usually only one showed up.

"Carter."

"Sam."

"Major Carter." They all greeted her and she smiled.

"Hey guys. Is there something I can do for you?" she asked them.

"Well... Hammond gave us stand-down for 72 hours..."

"... and we're all coming over to Jack tonight to have some beers & watch some videos." Daniel finished for Jack.

"Right, so we were wondering if you wanted to join us?"

A thought crossed Sam's mind when she thought about it and she grinned.

"Sir, did you think you would need some support to convince me?"

"No actually..."

Teal'C interrupted him "I believe you said something about moral support, O'Neill."

"Thanks Teal'C" Jack said and shrugged his shoulders apologetically.

Sam knew she'd been right. She thought about it for a moment and then lifted her head to tell them. "Listen, I would really love to come but..."

Jack cut her off with his classic raised finger and "AH!!" She stopped. "I know this is all very *fascinating* and *fun* to you, Carter. But come on, you have to get out of the base once in a while."

Sam nodded and grinned. "Okay, I take it. General Hammond wanted you to make sure I would go home, didn't he?"

"Well.... erm... actually... yes."

Before Sam could answer, Lieutenant Simmons came in. Everyone knew he had an awful crush on Major Carter and he was so absorbed in her that he didn't even notice the guys.

"Major Carter, I found this for you and thought I would bring it over." He handed her a science magazine and she smiled at him.

"Thank you Lieutenant."

"Any time Ma'am." He said and turned around to leave. When he saw the other three guys who were trying to hide their laughter he turned bright red.

"Colonel O'Neill, Daniel Jackson, Teal'C." he greeted and stormed out.

"It is most obvious that Lieutenant Simmons likes you Major Carter." Teal'C told her.

She giggled. "I know."

"No interest?" Jack asked and thought "Please say no, please let it be no."

"No sir, none at all."

"What about tonight?" Daniel questioned.

Sam slowly returned to her desk. When she wanted to put the magazine on the table, it fell down. She kneeled down, picked it up, and took a short look on the opened page. Her heart missed a beat. Tears welled up in her eyes. She pressed her hand over her mouth and muttered "Oh my God."

"Something wrong Carter?" she heard O'Neill saying.

Everything around her seemed to blur. She turned up to them and tried to blink the tears away. Hurriedly she shut the magazine and fumbled it into one of her drawers.

"Sam, you alright?" Daniel asked again.

She forced herself to smile.

"Sure Daniel. Everything's fine."

Her hand started to shake and she couldn't think clear nor focus on the guys. "What about tonight?"

"I'm not coming... I better go home.... got a lot to do.... you know... dishes and so on... see ya guys."

With that she stormed out of the room, grabbing her coat and bag. Daniel, Jack and Teal'C remained speechless for a minute.

"What.... what was that?" Daniel finally managed to say. "Major Carter suddenly seemed very upset." Teal'C answered.

"I never saw her like that. I swear it was something in that bloody magazine." Jack grumbled and took it out of her drawer.

"What do you intend to do, O'Neill?" Teal'C wondered.

"I'm trying to find the damn page that upset Carter. I want to know what's wrong with my 2IC."

"Sure, as if she only was your 2IC, Jack." Daniel thought. Aloud he said: "The page was somewhere in the middle of the mag, it was violet I think."

"Thanks Danny." Jack muttered and opened the magazine in the middle. After he had turned several pages back and fourth he suddenly found it.

"Wow, that is..... strange." Daniel looked at the pages. There was a double-paged story about Aaliyah and the headline said:

R&B SINGER AALIYAH DIED IN PLANE ACCIDENT

"That's why Sam was so shocked?" Daniel asked surprised.

"I do not understand. How can the death of this woman affect Major Carter when she didn't even know her?" Teal'C raised his eyebrow.

"Um... see... Sam obviously liked Aaliyah very much so she is affected by her death. It happens when people love other people a lot, even if they don't know them by person." Daniel tried to explain.

"I see." Teal'C said and thought "These Ta'uri are very strange people indeed."

"I knew Carter liked her, but I never thought she liked her *that much*." Jack said and shut the magazine. He was also hurt. He hated to see *his* Sam suffering.

"Maybe one of us should go and check on her." Daniel suggested.

"Yes, can you drop by and look how she's doing?" Jack asked him.

"Ah... maybe it would be better if you went... I don't know, it would bring back memories of Share's death."

"Okay, then. We meet another day." Jack packed up his stuff and headed for Sam's home.

That was going to be one hell of an evening. He didn't even know what to say to her, he didn't want to hurt her more than she was already hurting. He rung the bell three times but she didn't open up. Finally he took the key she had given him and let himself in. He heard loud music and saw Sam sitting on her couch. Her hands were cupping her face and she was shaking and crying uncontrollably. He closed the door cautiously and softly called for her.

"Carter?" She didn't respond.

"Carter?" He approached her and saw the glass and some pills laying in front of her on her living room table.

"No Sam..." he smelled at the glass. "Wodka.... really Carter." He said and checked the pills.

"For goodness, just mild sedatives." He went to the stereo and turned the music off. Sam still hadn't moved an inch. He lightly touched her shoulder.

"Sam, talk to me."

"Go away." she sobbed.

"Don't shut me off, I want to help you."

"You can't help me!" she shouted back.

"Please talk to me." Jack tried his best to stay calm, though it broke his heart to see her like this. It hurt him, a lot worse than he had ever thought it could.

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ME! I LOVED HER! NOW SHE'S DEAD!" Sam yelled, got up from the couch and walked toward the window.

Jack went after her and embraced her from behind. She let him, though she didn't move.

"I know Sam, I know. It's a shame when people die so young." He slightly soothed her back and forth to calm her down.

Suddenly she turned around and embraced him tightly. He hugged her back.

"God she's dead Jack, she's dead. It hurts so bad." She sobbed again.

"It'll be alright Sam, I swear. I'm here for you." Jack whispered.

When her tears had subsided he gently made her look at him.

"Did you take any of the pills?"

"No, I wanted to but I didn't."

"Okay, that's good. If you had taken them with the alcohol you might have thrown up all night long. Don't *ever* do that again Sam."

"Promise."

"Come on, I want to show you something."

Jack tenderly took her hand in his and led her outside into her garden. He pointed at the stars.

"My mum used to tell me that every time someone dies, one star appears for him or her at the sky. Look at the bright one over there. That might be Aaliyah's. She knows you loved her."

Sam smiled. "Thank you."

"I'm always here for you, don't forget that."

"I know." Sam whispered and hugged him again.

They clung at each other like at a life line. Jack closed his eyes.

"God I love you so much Sam." He thought.

Sam startled. Jack looked at her.

"What's up?"

"What did you just say?"

"I didn't say anything."

"Yes you did. You said you loved me."

"Oh my God, I didn't say that aloud did I?" A look of horror passed Jack's face.

"I love you, too, Jack." Sam answered and kissed him.

At first their kiss was soft and testing, lips barely touching while they explored each other's lips. Their hurt melted away with every second they remained kissing. Eventually the need for air separated them. Without any other words they went back into the house. They both needed sleep. Sam was sure she would heal now she had the man she'd loved for so long in her life. No worries and no regrets, now it was just them.

*** 6 months later ***

Sam and Jack were sitting in Sam's garden again.

"I can't believe Hammond turned a blind eye to that." Sam said.

"You know Angel, old George is a good man."

"Yeah he is."

"It was Aaliyah that brought us together." Jack realised.

"I know. And Aaliyah's spirit will always guide us."

They remained silent for a while, entangled in each other's arms.

"I love you Sam." Jack said.

"Love you, too, Jack." Sam replied.

"Let's go inside, it's getting cold."

"Give me another minute Jack."

"Okay darling, I'll wait inside. It's late."

When Jack was gone Sam got up from the small bank they had built. She looked at the sky and saw the familiar star shining. It was the one that Jack had referred to as "Aaliyah's". "Thank you" she mouthed up to the sky. And the star blinked back at her.

*** EPILOGUE ***

One year later, Sam and Jack's first child was born. They named it Aaliyah Angel, as a promise never to forget the woman that had changed their life in so many ways. Another year later they were married. Aaliyah's spirit guided them through their lives, and her star was always shining for them at the sky, showing them the right way.

Aaliyah

One In A Million

Baby you don't know, what you do to me.
Between me and you, I feel a chemistry.
Won't let no one come and take your place.
Cause the love you give can't be replaced.
See no one else love me like you do.
That's why I want to spend my life with you.
Wanna please you in anyway I can.
Wanna share my world don't you understand.

*Your love is a one in a million it goes on and on and on
you give me a really good feelin all day long.
Your love is a one in a million it goes on and on and on
you give me a really good feelin all day long.*

Turn me inside out make my heart speak.
Don't want nobody else you are all I need.
Personality in everything you do
Makes me love everything bout you.
Your smile your style so fly I can't deny
I got a crush on you and that's true indeed.
I'm diggin you your makin me believe.

*Your love is a one in a million it goes on and on and on
you give me a really good feelin all day long.
Your love is a one in a million it goes on and on and on
you give me a really good feelin all day long.*

I'll give you anything you want from me anything you want anything you need
anything your soul desires
I'll give you anything you want from me anything you want anything you need
anything your soul desires

*Your love is a one in a million it goes on and on and on
You give me a really good feelin all day long
Love it babe. love it babe. love it babe

Hope you liked my way of dealing with Aaliyah's death. I would love to get feedback!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Shana