Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Hallucinations and Realisations Chapter 1

by Scully
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hallucinations and Realisations Chapter 1

Hallucinations and Realisations Chapter 1

by Scully

Summary: Sam has to cope with the aftermath of Grace, and will Jack risk losing her again? This series will follow from Grace to The Lost City.
Category: Series
Episode Related: 713 GRACE, 714 FALLOUT, 715 CHIMERA, 716 DEATH KNELL, 717 HEROES Part 1, 718 HEROES Part 2, 719 RESURRECTION, 720 INAUGURATION, 721 LOST CITY Part 1, 722 LOST CITY Part 2
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/02/04

Okay, so I watched this ep about 15 times already and it's only been aired for a week, lol. What can I say, I thoroughly enjoyed it. :O) AND....Go Teal'c the secret shipper :O).

Spoilers: For Grace.

Rating: PG

Stargate will never be mine *sniff*

Pairings: I'm not saying anything :O)

Chapter one - Hallucinations and Realisations

It was late; the only sound that could be heard was the gentle strum of the strobe lights that flickered consistently in the darkness of the infirmary. Unconsciously, Sam felt the presence of someone nearby and she felt herself returning to reality, her sub-conscious slowly drifting towards the surface.

She could hear a mechanical beeping sound waking her from the deepest sleep. Part of her feared that she would find herself back on the Prometheus, alone in the vastness of space with only her hallucinations for company.

Breathing deeply inward, she felt a softness encumber her body, her head resting lightly against a pillow. Her lips and throat felt dry and coarse. With her eyes still closed, unwilling to surrender to what faced her, she began licking her lips in a desperate effort to moisten the cracks that seemed intent on forming there.

Blinking lazily, she knew that it was now or never. Her mind began to crawl slowly back to reality. Hearing the softness of someone else breathing, she knew that she would have to turn to see them; her heart ached at the thought that *he* would be there when she awoke. Wincing slightly from the pain she began turning her head to face the person beside her.

The figure sat silently, his hand resting on his chin, watching her with fear and sadness in his eyes; pondering about what could have happened if they hadn't found her in time. His eyes once bright and full of spark seemed to have lost their vibrancy; his face lined with apprehension appeared to have aged ten years since he'd heard she was missing. It seemed that she'd been lost forever, but in reality it had only been 4 days.

Staring at the figure, she blinked several times in an effort to bring the person into focus as heard the words, "Hey!"

Sam's heart jumped slightly at the sound of his voice, and her heart rate increased causing the monitor to bleep in response. With her mind still sluggish from the concussion, she didn't register at first that she was in the infirmary and back at the SGC, with her C.O sitting beside her; waiting for signs of movement.

Her mind kept taking her back to their conversation on board the Prometheus and how he had softly ridiculed her for calling him "Sir" even in her hallucinatory state. This time she was going to be honest.

"Jack?" She answered breathlessly.

Unable to believe his ears, he was taken aback by the fact that it fell so easily from her lips; and felt so right to him. Shaking his head ever so slightly in an effort to remind himself where they were, he was stunned for a second on how to reply. Here he was, alone with her in the infirmary... and she was calling him 'Jack'. Something that he'd wanted to hear for a long time, but only dreamed. Shocked that she had said his name so readily, he replied, "Excuse me?"

A blank expression washed over her. After a few seconds of uncertainty, Sam willed herself to remember where she was. With her brain finally beginning to kick into gear her thoughts slowly came to order; she wasn't on the Prometheus anymore. This was reality - and she was lying here in a cot in the infirmary attached to various monitors. It caught her off guard for a split second, before realisation dawned on her that; he was her commanding officer, not 'Jack' whom she had kissed so passionately on the ship and who had reciprocated at her touch.

The only words she could manage to utter were, "Sorry, sir."

"Yes, well..." Jack replied clearing his throat. His heart felt as if it was the most pleasing sound in the world, to have her call him by his name. Not 'sir', or 'colonel', but *'Jack'*. Here they were though on base, he couldn't let anyone else know how much it meant to him, too much was at stake. Trying to find a way to let her know that he didn't mind, he smiled sweetly. As the corners of his eyes began twinkling in the darkness he continued, "...A massive concussion will tend to disorientate one."

"How long was I out there?"

"It's all relative, Carter, that whole time space..."

"Sir"

"4 days."

Shaking her head in disbelief Sam responded softly, "I could've sworn it was weeks."

Jack smiled sadly; to him it did feel as if weeks had gone by. For four days he'd thought his whole world had come crashing down upon him. His heart had ached at the thought of never seeing her again or hearing the soft sound of her voice every day. He'd felt like his heart had been ripped from his body. Never again did he want to feel that way again, and he was going to make damned sure that she knew how much she meant to him and how empty he'd felt, without her by his side...but not today.

He'd never felt so pleased to see her, and for a brief moment it disarmed him. Snapping himself out of his silent reverie he tried to quickly change the subject before she realised that for once in his life, he was lost for words. "Teal'c and Daniel say 'Hi'. Um... they organising a bit of a shindig for when you're up and around. There's talk of cake..."

"Cake!" Sam answered grinning, her eyes lighting up at the thought.

Seeing her grinning made his heart nearly jump out of his chest, with his eyes sparkling he replied, "My idea."

"Can't wait." Sam answered tiredly, the events of the previous days catching up with her.

"You need anything? Magazine? Yo-Yo?" Jack beamed. Inside though his thoughts betrayed him and he wanted to add himself to the list. He knew that this wasn't the time or the place, especially as it seemed unlikely that she would ever remember them having this conversation.

"I'm fine."

"Yes you are." Jack grinned; the corners of his eyes creasing up ever so slightly.

"Thank you, sir." Sam told him softly.

"For what?" Jack asked with a quizzical expression on his face.

Looking across at him intensely, for a few seconds she couldn't understand why he didn't know *what* she was thanking him for. How could he forget something as important as the conversation they'd had on the ship? The conversation, when she'd actually told him that she was willing to give everything up for him in a heartbeat?

Suddenly realisation took hold of her and she remembered it wasn't actually *him* that she'd talked with, it was her self and her inhibitions to move forward. Her insides began quivering at the thought of explaining what happened, but for now she was too tired and too confused. Instead she replied with a small shake of her head, "Nothing."

"Think nothing of it, I have plenty of that!" Jack answered, his eyes revealing that he didn't have a clue what was going on in that head of hers.

As Sam's eyes began closing, Jack took one last longing look into her eyes, smiling serenely, she was home, and she was safe, and that's what mattered most. Nodding slightly, he smiled before leaving the infirmary.

With her eyelids fluttering to a close, the remnants of sleep began closing in on her. Taking a long deep breath inwards, she began exhaling slowly as her vision narrowed. As sleep began drawing in, a child's voice began singing "Twinkle Twinkle little star..." Smiling slightly she allowed herself to fall to sleep.

End of Part 1

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Scully