Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ice and Snow

by Sarah Butler
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Ice and Snow

Ice and Snow

by Sarah Butler

TITLE: Ice and Snow
AUTHOR: Sarah Butler
EMAIL: Sarah74656@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack, slight angst, plenty weirdness.
SPOILERS: None really, maybe a few minor ones from anywhere in the first four seasons. Slight spoiler for Solitudes, but you'd only know it was a spoiler if you'd seen the episode.
SEASON / SEQUEL: Set sometime in the third season, I think! Maybe a bit later.
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS:
SUMMARY: Just some mild rambling on my part, about a few little drops of water...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Note from the not-so-genius! Well, well, well. Three holes in the ground, yes, I know. This is quite a weird little story, not meant to be very coherent, but there is a lot of hidden meaning if you want to look hard enough to find it. I do like feedback, when I get messages telling me I'm wonderful (or not!) it seems to help me write better. Still, happy reading, hope you enjoy it!

One drop of water, high enough, becomes snow.

It falls to the ground as light as a fairy.

It touches the heart of all that see it.

The memory stays forever, like something very special.

One drop of water, cold enough, becomes ice.

It freezes, and is cold, sharp and slippery.

It kills life, sucking heat from all that touch it.

But one warm enough, kind enough, can melt it.

This is a short story about two drops of water.

One drop on its own cannot achieve much.

When they get together though, two or more,

They can make something as beautiful as a rainbow.

It was very cold. Cold enough to make his teeth chatter. And he'd been to some cold places Antarctica, for example. The 'freezing to death' thing. Been there, done that. Could do with another T-shirt to warm him up.

She was cold. Very cold. It was definitely an ice planet. Ice and snow. All there was, as far as the eye could see. Keep warm, got to keep warm.

They looked at one another, seeking mutual consent, then moved closer. It was night now, they should sleep and conserve body heat. He moved his arms around her, and she settled into his embrace.

Snow falls.

Ice melts.

They dreamt strange things that night. Of a planet where there was no water. Of a dried up lake. Of a fountain, silent and still.

In the morning it was colder still. They huddled closer, striving for warmth. She turned to him, and whispered in his ear.

"Jack." He kissed her head. "Why did we go, Jack?"

"Sam." She rested her head on his shoulder. "We ran away."

Snow falls.

Ice melts.

"Jack, I love you."

"I know, Sam. I love you too."

"I want to go home, Jack."

"Me too, Sam."

They walked in silence. Down a hill, round a corner in a twisty path. As close to each other as either dared, or even closer. They reached the Stargate, and it was warmer there. Icicles still hung from the gate and the DHD.

Snow falls.

Ice melts.

"Dial us home, Jack."

The gate spun. A wave shot out form the middle and energy warmed the place.

"The iris code, Sam."

They stepped forward into the gate, homeward bound. A journey of a million light years, in a millisecond.

"I do." Cheers sprang up form the crowd. A fountain was playing in the yard, and the mountains were covered in snow. There was no ice, it was warm, and the atmosphere was one of love. And as they kissed to seal their vows a rainbow, one of so many colours, filled the sky.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sarah Butler