Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Hearts and Flowers

by SaraC
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Hearts and Flowers

Hearts and Flowers

by SaraC

Summary: Janet has the Valentine's Day blues but Daniel has the perfect cure!
Category: Challenge, Romance
Episode Related: 715 CHIMERA
Holiday: Valentine
Season: future Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet, Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/01/04

"Janet, do you have a minute?"

Janet Fraiser looked up to see her best friend standing hesitantly in the doorway to her office. With a warm smile, she motioned her to come in.

"Of course, Sam. What's up?"

The doctor in her immediately began searching for symptoms of some strange malady, it was an instinctive reaction when dealing with SG-1. Finding that her friend looked nothing more than a little apprehensive, she waited until Sam had closed the door behind her and seated herself before speaking.

"Everything okay?" The smile she got made her feel a bit better.

"Yeah, I just need your personal advice on something."

Eyebrows rising, she settled back into her seat and motioned for her friend to continue.

"Well, the Colonel asked me to go up to his cabin with him-"

"Sam, the Colonel always asks you to go up to his cabin with him. It's almost a standing joke, you know this, that you'll find some excuse not to. What's different this time?" She didn't mean her words to be harsh, knowing Sam understood, having had this discussion with her many times.

"The difference is, well, this time, I actually want to go."

Janet wasn't sure she'd heard her friend correctly. Blinking, she calmly wove her hands together, thinking before she offered any reply.

"Okay, so you want to go. While this is definitely a change, I still don't see what the major problem is. So you go, you have a good time, you relax, and possibly, see if anything else comes of it." It was not a subtle hint, but Janet knew Sam wouldn't be offended. She knew full well how her best friend felt for her CO, and the reasons both had for not acting on their feelings.

"That's the thing, Janet. I think I want to see just that. If anything happens."

Janet quickly quelled her elation at the fact that her best friend was finally realizing something they'd all seen coming for years.

"Well, it's about time." It was as close to a cheer as she would allow herself, although she knew the stupid grin on her face spoke more for her feelings than her words.

"Come on, Janet. Don't look at me like that."

Janet immediately wiped the smile off her face, trying to go for a more serious look. It wasn't that hard when she suddenly remembered exactly why her friend had not chosen this course of action sooner.

"Okay, while I can't say I'm not happy, have you considered what this will do to your working relationship?" It was a valid question, most likely, what her friend had come to talk to her about today in the first place.

"Yes, and I sort of rationalized it, but I want your opinion."

The hopeful tone of voice made her smile again. With a gesture of her arms, she settled back into her seat and waited for her friend to continue.

"A few months ago, when I was trapped on the Prometheus, well, part of the reason I kept sane was the fact that Daniel, Teal'c and the Colonel appeared to me as visions, calling themselves parts of me that I would understand better coming from them."

Janet remained quiet, unwilling to discount anything that had happened to her friend over the past few months. With SG-1, the abnormal was normal and seeing visions of each other was not uncommon among them. Obviously Sam realized this, because with a grateful smile, she continued.

"When the Colonel visited me, he told me that I needed to let him go, to find a relationship. He implied that I thought he was a safe bet, which, I know he was. I couldn't have him, and that meant it was okay to not allow myself to want anyone else. Jack couldn't hurt me like other men could."

Janet respectfully kept from mentioning that her friend had unconsciously called her CO by his first name, a sure sign things were getting personal. Still, the conversation explained a lot of the past few months.

"That would explain Pete, wouldn't it?" She watched as her friend tensed, then sighed and nodded.

"Pete was my attempt to move on, and for a while there, it worked. I enjoyed being treated like a woman, a normal woman at that. Not to mention he was a great listener and fun to be with."

"The sex wasn't that bad either, was it?" Janet figured she needed to infuse a slight bit of humor into the serious tone this conversation was taking. She was pleased to see her friend smile wanly.

"No it wasn't. But I'll tell you one thing, Janet. It wasn't bad. Although, I think it was more for the fact that I haven't had sex in most of my time here in the SGC. Still, there was always something missing."

Janet had a suspicion what it was that had been missing, but she remained quiet, knowing her friend needed to figure it out for herself, if she hadn't already.

"Either way, when he left, we decided to cool things off a bit. I think, deep down, he knew I couldn't give myself freely to him, because there really wasn't much left to give."

Janet nodded, knowing full well who had and most likely always would, Samantha Carter's heart.

"The whole experience made me realize that I do want a personal life, I want a relationship, and despite the fact that it's career suicide, I want that with Jack."

Janet felt her admiration for her best friend rise at the determination in Sam's voice. Obviously, Sam had thought hard about this situation and knowing her, now had a goal to aim for. And never let it be said that Sam Carter did not get exactly what she set her mind to.

"I think you'll get it. Although, you'll have to keep it separate from work." The logic of the situation had to be stated, although she figured Sam had already resigned herself to it.

"I know, and I think we can. It's not much different than what we do now. We're already hiding our feelings and concern for each other when we go on missions. The tension is there, but we both realize that we have to ignore it and focus on work, which we do."

Janet couldn't resist the evil smile that appeared on her face. "And just think, if you get involved, when you're home, all the lovely ways you can release that 'tension.'"

Her friend's knowing smile made her just the slightest bit envious. She'd long ago forgotten what it felt like to have a personal life, although raising a teenager for the past seven years had helped fill the time. Still, it didn't help that the one person she might consider having such a relationship with was not interested in her that way.

"So, you really think he'll respond? And that he'll be willing to risk it too? I can't do this if he's not going to be able to."

Janet sighed, bringing her mind back to her friend, trying for an optimistic smile. "I think he'll be overjoyed and while it might take a little 'convincing' on your part to stress the separation of work and private life, I think he'll see your point. Especially if you're very- persuasive?"

She was glad when Sam burst into laughter. "You're right. I suppose since he made it a point to mention that Teal'c was going to visit Ishta this weekend and Daniel said he had plans, he was hoping to get me all alone. Or maybe he thought I would say no, since I've never accepted before."

Janet had focused on only one part of her friend's discourse, the fact that Daniel had plans for this weekend. Valentine's Day weekend. A bitterness claimed her heart as she could only imagine who he planned on spending the romantic weekend with.

"Janet, you okay?"

Sam's concerned words had her jumping, realizing she'd been caught. Trying to keep her expression happy, she nodded.

"I'm fine, just imagining how lucky you're going to get this weekend. I'm a little jealous. First Pete, now Jack. I'm really going to expect details, since I have to live vicariously through you."

Glad to see her friend smile, she figured the heat had been deflected. She was proven wrong by her friend's next words.

"You know, you're assuming that Jack indeed has plans for me this weekend. Something that I'm almost, but not quite sure of. Still, if you really wanted to live a little, you could go ask a certain archaeologist to dinner. I'm sure then you wouldn't have to live vicariously through me."

Trying not to blush, Janet turned to the papers on her desk, shuffling them needlessly, trying to come up with a witty response.

"Trust me, Sam, I'm the last person Daniel will want to be hanging out with, especially on Valentine's Day." Her words emerged rather harsh instead of witty, she was unhappy to note as she tried to ignore the concerned look that had crossed Sam's face.

"Come on, Janet. You know that's not true. I know he likes you, he's been denying it to himself, but only because he thinks you wouldn't be interested-"

"Sam, I appreciate what you're trying to do, but trust me, I have never, nor ever plan, to have a Goa'uld infect me, hence I'll never need him to save me, hence, I'll never appeal to him romantically. Besides, he's already had two of those women and the one he managed to save, I'm sure, is eagerly awaiting his plans for this weekend."

She hadn't meant to sound so bitter, or to reveal her upset at the past weeks events, but the words just sort of poured out of her. She guessed it had been building up for a while and Sam had unwittingly hit a trigger. She looked anywhere but at the extremely concerned expression on Sam's face.

"Janet, Sarah is a friend, nothing more. Yes, Daniel was glad to save her, but trust me, his feelings for her are nothing more than friendship."

Janet chose to remain silent, seeing things differently than Sam. Her best friend had not been in the infirmary when Daniel had pulled an unresisting Sarah into his arms. Her best friend had not seen the way he'd whispered in her ear, stroked her hair and held her tightly, showing no sign of letting her go. Her best friend had not seen the de-Goa'ulded Sarah lean up and kiss Daniel with a look of passion that he couldn't possibly miss.

She herself hadn't managed to stay any longer, turning quickly from her position in the doorway and retreating to her office, not wanting to see Daniel respond to the beautiful woman in his arms. Her heart had been aching enough at realizing that she'd lost a man she'd never had in the first place.

"Janet, you have to believe me. I know Daniel and he's not interested in Sarah."

This time, she looked directly at her friend, her words concise and abrupt. "Sam, I know you're trying to help, but trust me, it's not going to happen. I know what I saw and trust me, Daniel is definitely interested in Sarah."

Her friend began to speak, obviously wanting to question how she knew such a thing, but thankfully, their conversation was interrupted by the klaxons and bells and the announcement of an 'unauthorized gate activation.'

"Sorry, Sam. I have to go, SG-8 is supposed to be returning in a few hours and I suspect they're early, which means problems." Hurrying for her door, she turned and gave a half-hearted smile to her disturbed looking friend. "Don't mind me, you just go have a great weekend. You two deserve a little happiness and trust me, the Colonel won't say no to you."

With that, she turned and breezed out the door, trying to put all thoughts of Daniel out of her mind. She did not look back, and therefore missed the contemplative expression on her best friend's face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Daniel Jackson, you have some explaining to do!"

SG-1's resident archaeologist/anthropologist looked up in surprise as an irate blonde barreled into his office, her eyes blazing in a way that he knew boded no good for him.

"Exactly what am I accused of doing now, Sam?"

Settling herself into the chair in front of his desk, she locked her eyes on him, making him squirm uncomfortably as she remained silent. Knowing her moods, he realized now was not a time to try for a humorous reply. So he removed his glasses, rubbed the bridge of his nose and waited for her to explain what he'd done now.

"Are you or are you not planning to spend this weekend, Valentine's weekend, might I add, with a certain "back from the Goa'uld" archaeologist?"

He looked at her in total surprise. "What are you talking about? Sarah went back to Chicago two days ago. Sure it won't be easy, but she's still got friends and family there, they'll help her get back on her feet. Not that I won't be around if she needs me." He paused a moment, noting the relief in his friend's eyes. That in itself made him suspicious. "Sam, what exactly brings you to the topic of my weekend plans and who they involve?"

By now, his friend looked a little sheepish, but he was determined to get an answer. His heart leapt at the thought that was going through his mind, but he figured he must be way off base. It would fit into his actual weekend plans all too well and things just did not work out like that for Daniel Jackson.

"Sam?"

He watched as his friend shifted uncomfortably, obviously trying to make up an excuse. But he wouldn't let her off the hook this time, especially if, by some strange chance, his suppositions were on track.

"Well, the Colonel invited me to his cabin this weekend and made it a point to alert me you had other plans for the weekend-"

"So, you're finally going to accept Jack's offer. It's about time!" He smiled as she trailed off, her mouth opening wide before snapping shut.

"That is not the point," she managed when he noted she'd recovered from his bluntness.

"Then what is? I can't imagine, having a weekend alone with Jack to occupy your mind, you're too concerned with what I do with my time. So what brings this up, Sam?"

He knew he had her by the guilty look in her eyes she quickly tried to mask. He was more sure than ever now what had prompted this line of questioning. But he wanted to hear it first hand. He could see her debating the merits of telling him, familiar enough by now with her thought processes. His heart rejoiced as he finally noted the resigned acceptance in her eyes as she spoke.

"You know damn well that its Janet I'm asking for, although she implied that she had proof you weren't interested-"

"Janet thought I wanted to spend the weekend with Sarah?" It wasn't hard to put the surprise into his voice, he hadn't thought Sam would come straight out with it like that. Now that she had, however, he found himself intrigued.

"Well, she implied, when I told her she should ask you to dinner, that you wouldn't be interested because you wanted to be with Sarah. Now I can only assume she overheard or saw something that could make her think that, and I wonder what that could have been, Daniel."

His mind was already going over his encounter with Sarah, wondering if he'd ever done something to give Janet, or anyone for that matter, the idea that he still harbored feelings for Sarah. While he was extremely glad to have saved her, he'd realized upon meeting her before her infestation, that those feelings were long gone.

Sure he'd comforted her in the aftermath, any good friend would have done the same thing. To him, it had almost been like recovering a sister. Of course, Sarah might have thought a little differently at first, but he'd soon set her straight-

"Uh oh." The words came out as a small groan as something registered. Slapping a hand to his forehead, he realized that his weekend plans had just hit a serious snag.

"Uh oh? Daniel, what aren't you telling me?" The irritation in Sam's voice made him wince, as he attempted to explain, hoping his words were adequate.

"Well, um, right after the whole thing, Sarah did acknowledge she thought she still had feelings for me, and she tried to convince me I felt the same by kissing me-"

"You kissed her?"

He frowned at the accusation in his friend's words. "No, Sam, she kissed me, took me by surprise as well. I didn't feel anything, so I pushed her away and gently explained that I didn't feel like that about her anymore. She seemed convinced and let the matter drop."

"Well, obviously, Janet must have seen or overhead every part of this except the fact that you told Sarah it was over. Face it, Daniel, the woman I just talked to is completely convinced you're in love with Sarah."

Daniel felt his heart sink as he realized that she probably spoke the truth. Not that he could blame Janet for her suppositions. He supposed he would feel the same if he saw Janet kissing someone. In fact, he probably would have left immediately, not wanting to see her react to it.

Which could explain why she thought he was interested in Sarah. If she'd left before he'd had a chance to push Sarah away, well, Sam didn't need to paint a clearer picture than she already had.

"Great. I haven't even managed to ask her out and I've completely screwed up any chance at a relationship we might have." Feeling majorly depressed, he sank his head into his hands and contemplated the multitude of ways he could have made this situation worse.

"You know, it's no wonder you two haven't managed to get it together yet. You're both too quick to assume the worst about things."

Looking up at Sam's words, he found himself noting some amusement in her eyes. Feeling affronted, he pretended to shuffle some papers on his desk, not wanting to give her the satisfaction of asking why she seemed so amused.

"Daniel, it's obvious she likes you. It's even more obvious you've got feelings for her. Unfortunately, it's going to take a bit of work to convince her of that, but if I know you, you're up to the task."

The words did little to reassure him, although they did spark a tingle of hope in his heart. Looking up, he found the courage to meet her now amused glance. The annoyance he felt at her, however, had yet to fade.

"And what makes you so confident, miss it's-taken-me-years-to-admit-I-want-to-jump-the-bones-of-my-commanding-officer?" He couldn't help but smile as she choked and her eyes widened. The satisfaction only lasted, however, until she managed enough breath to speak.

"Because I know Janet and more importantly, I know how she feels about a lot of things, including you."

The words shut him up faster than anything, as he realized that the woman in front of him, most likely, held the answers to questions he'd been too afraid to ask. The smile she now wore also told him he probably would have liked knowing her answers a long time ago.

"Okay, so what are you telling me?"

Watching her carefully, he felt a bit of panic as she rose and walked to the door. Before he could call out to her however, she turned and shot him an evil smile.

"I'm telling you that chocolates, roses and the truth work wonders for my best friend. Come to think of it, a good bout of sex might do the trick as well."

He knew his jaw was on the floor as his friend and teammate winked at him before slipping out the door, slamming it victoriously shut behind her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Janet sighed as she realized that it was Friday night and everyone, with the exception of her, had plans for Valentine's Day weekend.

Sam and Jack were off at his cabin, hopefully, taking the steps that would relieve their sexual tension and mutual feelings once and for all. Teal'c was off, hopefully simply relieving sexual tension with Ishta. Even Cassie, who was in her first year at college, had plans with Dominic for the weekend. She didn't even want to think about 'sexual' in relation to her daughter at the moment.

As for Daniel, well, for all intents and purposes, he was planning a weekend of romance with Sarah. He hadn't come right out and announced it, but she knew, after seeing them in the infirmary last week, that there was definitely more than friendship going on between those two.

It hurt. Not that she had any claim on Daniel, but still, she'd been trying to work up the courage to ask him out for the past few months, ever since they'd survived his use as a 'lifeboat,' they'd arguably been closer than before, even taking to having coffee and sometimes lunch together when SG-1 was on-world. She'd thought she'd sensed something between them, but obviously she'd been wrong.

A fact glaringly made obvious, once again, by the fact that it was Valentine's Day tomorrow and she would, as in past years, be spending it alone.

With a small sigh, she realized it was time to stop feeling sorry for herself. She was an independent, single woman, who was more than capable of pampering herself if no one would do it for her. Her mood lightened a little as she thought about the bubble bath and bottle of wine she'd been holding onto for a special occasion awaiting her at home. No time like the present to put it to use.

Feeling a slight bit better, she finished up with her last patient, sending him home, happy to have an empty infirmary for the moment. Making several notes on her chart, she walked into her office, her mind still focused on Sergeant Lancer's report. Walking over to her desk, she lifted her eyes from the report, only then noticing that all was not as she'd left it.

A single red rose sat conspicuously on the desk, its deep, rich color a startling contrast to the white and gray of the folders and papers stacked around it. Blinking, she was sure it was an illusion. Roses did not just appear on her desk for no reason.

Moving cautiously over to examine the flower, she was surprised to find another splotch of color, in the red envelope that lay underneath the green stem of the rose. Her heart picked up a beat or two as she sank into her chair and reached for both the rose and card. Unconsciously, she brought the rose to her nose, inhaling the gentle, romantic scent. Giving into a whim, she brushed the petals lightly over her cheek, enjoying the sensuousness of the action.

Turning her attention to the card, she noted her name had been printed in flourishing letters, although the handwriting was definitely not familiar. Her heart sank a bit at the realization that it was not, as she had foolishly allowed herself to hope, from Daniel. She'd have known his writing anywhere, and that was definitely not it.

Trying not to let the depression overwhelm her, she carefully slid the envelope open, pulling out what looked like your ordinary, average, every day Valentine's Day card. There was a huge bouquet of red roses and the words "Be Mine" spelled out in golden letters. Overall, it was a very appealing picture of everything Janet wanted, but knew she was destined not to have, on Valentine's Day.

Sighing, she opened the card, noting the continuation of the printed message "A rose by any other name would not smell as sweet." Her breath caught at the scribbled addition that had been added onto the famous quotation. *"Unless thy name is Janet. Will you be my Valentine?"*

Her cheeks heated at the phrase, although it was really bugging her that she could not place the writing. She couldn't think of anyone, sadly, who had enough of a romantic in them to do something like this, especially in the SGC. Still, she had to admit, the card and flower had done a lot to brighten her day.

The thought occurred to her that it might have been Sam who had left the gift, as a way of making her feel better. But that thought quickly disappeared as she realized that Sam, number one, would have been too preoccupied with her Valentine's gift for Jack to think of her and two, she would definitely not have added the personal handwritten message.

No, someone out there, most likely a member of the SGC, had done this, and while she was curious, she knew she probably had little chance of figuring out who it was. Not to mention it was probably a way to make the 'lonely' doctor feel a little better, as it was no secret she'd been rather down the past few weeks since the whole Sarah debacle.

The thought dampened her enjoyment of the gift and she sighed as she gathered up her things to head home. Slipping the card inside her purse, she picked up the rose in her free hand. The gesture, whatever meaning it held, would not go unappreciated. Smiling a bit, she inhaled the fragrance once more before closing and locking her office door behind her.

Thankfully, she met no one in her walk to the elevator, most of the base having left already as it was after six. She brushed the rose petals against her cheek again as she waited for the elevator to open, stepping in and allowing herself a wistful smile as the doors closed on her.

If they had stayed open a moment longer, she might have been aware of the heated gaze that had marked her every movement since leaving her office.

Daniel Jackson smiled to himself as he stepped into view once the elevator doors had closed. The smile widened as he walked back down the hall towards his office. That had gone better than he'd planned and it was only step one. Anyone who might have seen the normally bashful doctors face as he disappeared into his office, especially any woman, would have melted into a puddle at the sensual look he wore as he began to put step two into motion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Janet sighed as she finished fixing herself a bowl of pasta. It wasn't fancy, but it was a favorite of hers and the perfect comfort food for when she needed a pick me up. Carefully balancing her bowl, a wine glass, the aforementioned bottle of wine and a vase now containing the single rose, she made her way into the living room, successfully setting everything down on the coffee table.

Sinking onto the sofa, she reached for the TV remote, wondering if there was anything other than sappy romantic movies to chose from. Most likely not, considering most of the cable networks seemed to be heavily into a Valentine's weekend marathon. Flipping through the myriad of channels satellite TV brought, she finally settled on a show she hadn't seen in a few years, having given up on it when they killed off one of her favorite characters. These episodes were the early ones, when she'd become addicted to the show and it was fun to watch them again and remember why she'd loved the show in the first place.

Reaching for her wine, she allowed the smooth tones of the handsome hero to flow over her, her gaze alternating between the TV screen and the rose that sat before her. Her mind immediately began to wander, imagining who could have left her such a gift.

She was so immersed in her thoughts that the sound of the doorbell was like a shock to her system. Thankful she hadn't spilled her wine she carefully set the glass back on the table, a little bemused to note she'd somehow, in her stupor, polished off most of the bottle. Smiling wryly, she walked towards the door, wondering who could be calling at- she looked at her watch- eight o'clock at night.

Opening the door, she was surprised to find herself confronted with a long white box, wrapped with a green ribbon. The smiling deliveryman seemed to have an added sparkle in his eyes as he held out the box.

"Janet Fraiser?"

She could only nod as he handed her the box, and then a form to sign showing she'd received it.

"Happy Valentine's Day" She could barely reply as the man turned and walked back down the stoop, whistling under his breath as he went. Janet watched him go, still trying to wrap her mind around the fact that she was holding what looked to be a florists box.

Feeling a sense of excitement, enhanced by the near bottle of wine she'd consumed, she carefully closed the door and walked unsteadily back to the couch. Once settled, she simply stared at the box, almost afraid to open it. Chiding herself for her hesitation, she pulled off the ribbon and carefully took off the lid. Her breath caught as she unfolded the green tissue paper to find what looked to be a dozen red roses, identical to the one now resting on her coffee table. Her heart sped up as she noted a small card, again with the same handwriting as had been on the one in her office.

Reaching carefully for the card, she opened the envelope, pulling out a small, white card, with a message beautifully inscribed on the surface. *"Your one rose looked lonely. Here are its eleven other mates, although even all twelve together cannot surpass the beauty of your smile. Will you be my Valentine?"*

She knew it was stupid, but she couldn't help the blush that crept into her cheeks as she read the words. The thought that someone could have taken the time to send her roses, much less a dozen red ones, was not a coincidence. Although, as the words registered, she felt a tingle go down her spine.

Whomever had sent these had obviously seen her carrying the single rose. Which meant, more than likely, he was the person that had sent it originally, and that he worked at the SGC. The possibilities this brought up now began to seem endless, although she really couldn't imagine anyone she worked with harboring such thoughts for her.

Well, except the one man she truly wanted to harbor such thoughts for her. And he was, most definitely, taken. The thought again sent a smidgeon of depression through her enjoyment of her gift, although she decided to simply appreciate the gesture instead of agonize over who might have conducted it.

Giving into a silly, romantic urge, she reached for another rose, inhaling its scent before again, running the petals lightly over her cheek. Her mind immediately filled with the images of a certain blue-eyed archaeologist doing the same thing but over several different parts of her body. The thought was enough to send a pleasant heat through her body, making her tingle in a way she'd grown used to when thinking about Daniel anymore. In some strange way, it was almost as if he were actually there, in her living room, staring at her intensely as he ran the petals all over her body.

The thoughts again brought her back to the prosaic reality that even though she had these thoughts, he obviously did not. But still, she persisted in imagining that he had sent these beautiful roses and romantic messages. It should have been enough that someone thought enough of her to do this, but still, considering she knew it couldn't possibly be Daniel, it took the bloom off the situation.

Resigning herself to the inevitable, she moved into the kitchen to get herself a bigger vase. If she'd stayed in the room a moment longer, she would have been surprised, if not shocked, to see a familiar pair of blue eyes staring in at her from the porch window.

Daniel's smile grew even larger as he watched her disappear into the kitchen. Quickly moving back, not wanting to reveal his hand yet, he happily walked back to the street and down several houses where he'd left his car. His mind was filled with the image of surprise on her face as the deliveryman had placed his flowers in her arms.

That image had quickly been replaced by the sensual look on her face as she'd slid the rose petals over her cheek. He'd had to stifle his small groan as he'd restrained himself from bursting in her front door, taking the flower from her hand and proceeding to show her quite a few other places the softness of a rose petal could be enjoyed.

But while restraint had taken a monumental effort, he had managed it. There were still several more steps to his 'plans' for this weekend and it wouldn't do to blow it all because of his ever increasing desires. Besides, who said the thrill of anticipation was not an aphrodisiac in and of itself?

Whistling lightly, he headed back to his car to put step three into motion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall, it had been a rather pleasant morning. Janet hummed to herself as she vacuumed the living room, the sounds of her favorite musical group audible even over the hum of the machine. She'd slept relatively well last night, although her dreams had been filled with sensual images of roses and erotic words whispered by a passionate archaeologist/anthropologist. She'd awoken in a pleasant state of arousal, feeling more relaxed than she had in years.

The culprit, or at least part of it, still sat on the coffee table, their soft scent having permeated the room. Even though she desperately wanted to know who had sent them, she realized it would probably be better off not knowing. After all, that way, she could pretend they were from Daniel and no one would be the wiser.

The thought of Daniel dulled her happiness a bit, as she imagined what he had planned for Sarah this weekend. Probably a romantic, candlelight dinner, lots of flowers and chocolate and more than likely a passionate ending. Her hands clenched into fists at the thought of Daniel with Sarah, although she knew she had no right to feel like this. But it didn't stop the anger, nor the jealousy, from coloring her thoughts and emotions.

Realizing this was getting her nowhere, she decided that she needed to get out. At least doing something might keep her mind off of what Daniel and Sarah would be up to. Finishing the vacuuming, she disappeared upstairs and quickly put on jeans and a sweater, touching up her make-up and grabbing her purse. Within minutes she was starting her car and driving off, completely oblivious to the car that pulled into her driveway the second hers disappeared around the corner.

Daniel jumped out of his car, arms laden with bags and packages. Making sure no one had spotted him, he quickly walked to her front door, grabbing the spare key he knew she kept under the flowerpot on the stairs. He thanked himself for the fact that all of SG-1 one knew where the spare key was in case of an emergency with Cassie.

He couldn't wait to see how Janet reacted to his own version of an 'emergency' that definitely had nothing to do with Cassie. Whistling to himself again, he entered her home and began setting up the final few stages of his plan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Janet was not feeling much better when she pulled back into her driveway later that evening. She'd spent most of the afternoon in the local malls, unhappily being reminded of the holiday in every store she'd visited. While the thought of the dozen roses still made her blush, the reality of the situation was that despite the gesture, no one would be sending her anything more, or waiting at home for her with a nice, romantic dinner, perhaps dancing, and then, well, you didn't need to be a genius to figure out where her mind ended up.

Still, she'd forced herself to endure, not looking forward to returning to an empty house, and the knowledge that she was alone on Valentine's Day. Which was why she'd stopped at the liquor store and bought several more bottles of wine. If she was going to spend the night alone, she really didn't want to be sober and able to remember it.

The funk she was in lingered as she walked up to the front porch, balancing several bags in her arms as she reached for her keys. Slipping the right one into the slot, she pushed open the door, only to come to a dead stop as she realized that she was not alone.

Her heart began to pound, and not in a good way, as she saw a flickering light coming from her living room. The soft music playing on her stereo also did not bode well for her idea of being alone. Carefully setting her bags on the floor, she reached for the can of mace she carried in her purse. Cassie had insisted she get one and although she'd laughed at the time, she felt a little more secure at having it clutched in her hand.

Someone was in her home.

Reaching for her cell phone, she was ready to dial 9-1-1 as she peered into the living room. Her fingers stopped on the buttons as she saw a roaring fire going in her fireplace, two wine glasses, and a plate of cheese, crackers and fruit sitting on the coffee table.

Since when did burglars set out wine and cheese?

Heart still pounding, she inched into the room, using all of her senses to figure out who was lurking where. As she moved closer to the table, her breath caught at the red envelope sitting next to one of the wine glasses, the now familiar handwriting clearly visible across the front.

Whomever had been sending her roses and cards was inside her house.

She wasn't sure if the thought should terrify her or arouse her to no end. While part of her was running over every self-defense move she'd ever learned, a larger part was trying to accept the idea that had been lingering on the edge of her mind since she'd noticed the romantic setting.

Only three other people knew where she kept her spare key, and since there was no sign of forcible entry, she could only assume one of them had used it.

Her heart began to pound in triple time as she realized, by process of elimination, which one of the three it could possibly be. Of course, her mind immediately wanted to deny her conclusion, considering it went against everything she'd been forcing herself to believe for the past week.

Then again, she didn't want to think about what that would mean about who had gained access to her home and staged such a romantic scene. She really should be calling the police.

But something inside was telling her that her initial supposition was right. That same feeling was what was stopping her from calling the police, as any single, self-respecting woman should have done in this situation.

Still, she couldn't deny the fact that she was intrigued by the lengths to which he must have gone. Walking over to the envelope, she carefully slid the card out, noting this one featured a heart-shaped box of chocolates with the words "Sweets for the Sweet" emblazoned in gold on the front. Feeling a smile break over her face, she opened the card, finding instead of a printed message, another handwritten one.

*"Nothing could be as sweet as the sight of your smile, especially if it comes while wearing the present I've left for you on your bed. Please be my Valentine."*

Her heart literally stopped as she looked around, wondering how he'd done it, wondering what exactly he'd done. For a moment, wondering if she were in her right mind to consider doing what the note asked. She was ninety-nine percent sure who had done all this, but that one-percent chance she could be wrong was still tugging at her.

But, it didn't seem like she was in any danger, and it couldn't hurt to look at what he'd left, could it?

Trying not to seem too eager, she walked quickly over to and up the stairs, pushing her bedroom door open carefully. Her breath caught as she saw rose petals strewn all over the floor and her comforter, two boxes sitting in the middle of her bed. Walking almost as if on eggshells, she reached the bed and looked at what was waiting for her.

One box was red and heart-shaped, bearing the name of a popular local chocolate maker. Her eyes glittered as she carefully reached for the box, unwrapping it and pulling the lid off to reveal a series of candies and chocolates, the centerpiece of which were three huge strawberries, each dipped in a thick layer of chocolate.

Her mouth watered at seeing her favorite type of sweet, and she couldn't help but reach for one. Biting into the sweet, chocolaty fruit was like tasting a small bit of heaven, and she couldn't help but groan at the sensation that hit her taste buds. When she'd eagerly devoured the confection, she carefully licked her fingers of the last remaining traces, then turned her attention to the larger white box.

Opening it almost gleefully, she found herself confronted with layers and layers of pink and white tissue paper. Heart rate accelerating, she pulled aside the paper and found herself staring at what looked like a shimmering waterfall of emerald silk. Her breath caught as she reached for the garment, the silky, smooth feel of the material sending a shiver down her spine. Pulling it free, she noted it was a classic style dress, made of an almost gossamer material that she could already tell was the exact right size. Marveling at the simple, yet sexy style, she laid it on the bed, noting there was something else in the bottom of the box.

A smaller, rectangular box lay amid the paper and her heart beat harder as she reached for it. Opening it carefully, she found her breath stolen by the glittering emerald and diamond necklace staring up at her. However, it was not just an ordinary pattern. Intricate carvings were etched carefully inside the gold setting that framed the emeralds and diamonds, looking, to her untrained eye, more like Egyptian hieroglyphs than random patterns.

It was that knowledge that sealed her fate. Her eyes watered as she realized that somehow, despite everything she'd believed or seen, all of this had been done by Daniel. There was no other explanation.

As she pulled out the necklace, she noted a second small card, hidden amid the cotton that cradled the necklace. Reaching for it, she read the words, her heart nearly pounding out of her chest.

*"If you've figured it out, and you're still willing to be my Valentine, put the dress and necklace on and meet me downstairs for a night neither of us will forget."*

Unable to breathe, she simply closed her eyes and allowed the magic of the situation to sweep over her. This was truly the most romantic thing anyone had ever done for her and as her eyes opened again, she realized she had no desire to make him wait. Although she sure as hell was going to make sure he explained what was or, as she was more sure of now, was not going on with Sarah.

Quickly grabbing the dress, she headed for her bathroom, slipping out of her sweater and jeans as she went. Turning on the shower, she set about making herself up for what seemed to be turning into a far better Valentine's Day than she'd ever expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daniel was a little nervous, as there was no sound from her bedroom for a good five minutes after she'd disappeared up the stairs. He'd been hiding in the kitchen when she'd entered the living room, hoping that once she'd seen the table, she'd put away the phone and realize it wasn't your normal, average burglar that had invaded her home.

Although, he'd planned to get to her before she'd alert the police if that had happened. He wasn't stupid, and he was perfectly well aware she'd be well within her rights to call the cops on him. But once she'd caught sight of the table he'd set, and his note, he'd known she was ready to play along. In fact, from the look in her eyes, he was pretty sure she'd figured out he was her admirer, despite what she might have been thinking.

He breathed a sigh of relief as he heard the shower suddenly spring to life above him, his heart thundering as he realized she was going to follow his suggestion and with any luck, become his Valentine. Considering of course, he could assure her that he felt nothing for Sarah, a task he was more than confident was well within his reach. Besides, he had several methods of persuasion he was pretty sure would help do the trick, as well as showing her a side of Daniel Jackson that very few people were ever privileged to see.

Unable to hide the huge grin on his face, he straightened the jacket he wore and walked over to the sofa, pouring two glasses of wine and nibbling on a bite of cheese before settling himself comfortably onto the cushions. Despite the slight case of nerves at his boldness, he couldn't wait to see her face when she walked downstairs to find him ready and waiting to give her the Valentine's Day of both their dreams.

~~~~~~~

Janet took one final look in the mirror, pleased with what she saw. The emerald silk clung to her figure, emphasizing her curves in all the right places. The dress ended well above her knees, and coupled with the heels she'd paired it with, served to make her legs look like they went on forever. The necklace and a pair of diamond earrings were the only jewelry she wore, and she'd pulled her hair up into a French twist, allowing a few wispy strands to fall to frame her face.

Overall, she felt extremely attractive and sensual. She really, really hoped Daniel thought the same. For a moment, she had a brief fear of the fact that it might not be Daniel waiting for her. The fear was quickly pushed aside by the inner sense that told her it was, and she really wasn't going to question it at the moment.

Although, it wasn't going to stop her from clutching her mace in one hand, just in some horrible case.

Taking a deep breath, she decided it was time to face the music. Her heart rate accelerated as she moved to the stairs, descending them slowly, holding her breath as she saw a figure rise from the couch at the sound of her heels on the steps.

~~~~~~~~~

At the sound of her footsteps, Daniel took a deep breath and turned towards the stairwell. His breath stopped at the vision descending towards him. He realized his jaw was probably on the floor, but he really didn't care. He'd never seen anything as lovely as the woman now standing at the bottom of the steps, staring at him intently.

When he realized he'd been standing like a loon for far too long, he gathered his wits, grabbed a rose from the vase on the table and walked over to where she stood watching him, her eyes filled with questions and a softness that stole his breath.

She watched him approach, her hand unclenching from the mace, realizing that her dreams had somehow come true. Her mind went into overload, taking in the suit he wore, the perfect cut of the jacket paired with the crisp blue shirt underneath brought out the blue in his eyes, which gazed intently into hers through the wire rims of his glasses.

It became harder to breath as he reached her, something in his eyes calling to her, making her feel weak in the knees. She could barely contain her hiss of breath as he reached out and ran the petals of the rose he held over her cheek. Her eyes closed at the sensation, so much better than she'd imagined. When the petals skimmed slowly over her lips, she found her eyes dragged open to meet his intense gaze.

"Will you be my Valentine, Janet?" Her reaction to his rose caress pretty much gave him her answer, but he needed to hear it from her first. Everything else could be sorted out later. Holding his breath, he didn't realize how much he needed the words.

Janet looked deep into his eyes, trying to read what she could in the blue orbs. She had so many questions, not the least of which was what had happened to Sarah, but at the moment, all she could think about was how wonderful he smelled, of a woodsy cologne and a musky essence she instinctively thought of as 'Daniel.' That, and the look in his eyes as he waited for her answer.

Well, it was a known fact that you never got anywhere unless you took risks.

"Yes, Daniel. I'll be your Valentine." She felt something in her heart relax at the pure joy that lit up his eyes as a smile broke over his features. That look prompted her to add a condition of her own. "Of course, it all depends on if you'll be my Valentine as well?"

Daniel felt as if the world was his for the taking. Janet wanted to be his Valentine. What was better, she'd just asked him to be hers. And when she looked at him like that, her eyes shining, her soft curves outlined to perfection in the soft light of the fire, how could he resist?

"Of course I'll be your Valentine, Janet. I've wanted to for a long time now." It was probably more than she was ready to hear, but he couldn't help himself from saying it. Sam's words of earlier still haunted him, along with the thought that she might still think he harbored feelings for Sarah.

Janet felt her heart leap, almost willing to believe his words, until the remembered image of that kiss in the infirmary intruded on her mind. While the sting was dulled a bit by the knowledge of what he'd done for her this weekend, she needed to know.

"Daniel, I need to ask you something before this goes any further." At his nod, she took a deep breath, looking him straight in the eye before speaking. "Is there anything between you and Sarah?" She bit her lip as she saw him sigh, his eyes turning tender as they looked into hers.

"You're asking because you witnessed her kissing me last week in the infirmary, aren't you?" At her nod, Daniel simply nodded, taking her hand and gently leading her to the couch. He figured this would come up and knew it was best to get it out of the way now. Then he could fully set about showing her the evening he had planned for them. When they'd both been seated, he handed her a glass of wine and began to explain.

"She was emotionally traumatized, as you can imagine," he began, seeing her nod, although her eyes looked pained. Unable to stop himself, he reached over and took her free hand, noting the spark that shot up his arm at the contact of skin on skin. Trying to ignore the spike of desire that shot through his body, he continued.

"I was comforting her, telling her it would be all right, that she'd be okay, when she leaned up and kissed me. I was surprised, especially because my feelings for her, at least romantically, had disappeared years ago, when she refused to believe me and chose to side with Steven over things." He looked pained at the memory, but took hope from the way she squeezed his hand, encouraging him to go on.

"I managed to pull away, and told her I was glad she was safe, but that I didn't feel anything more than friendship for her. I think she was a little confused, but after talking for a bit, I think I made her understand." He looked directly at her now, seeing the intense expression in her eyes, almost as if she desperately wanted to believe him.

Lifting her hand to his lips, he placed a kiss against her palm, seeing the shock and desire rise in her eyes as he finished in a husky voice. "I told her there was already someone in my life, and though I hadn't gotten the courage up to ask her out yet, I hoped she'd say yes when I finally did."

Janet wasn't sure what to say, her body still tingling from the feeling of his lips on her skin. The gesture, combined with the sincerity of his words did more to calm her emotions than anything else he might have said. Taking a deep breath, she was surprised her voice didn't wobble as she replied.

"You really wanted to ask me out?" It was a rather lame response, but it drew a soft chuckle from him that sent a shiver down her spine.

"I've wanted a lot of things in regards to you, Janet Fraiser."

She swallowed hard at the husky undertone to his words, and at the lingering kiss he again planted on her palm. Shivering slightly, she took a sip of her wine, trying to steady her nerves. She was still trying to puzzle out what exactly he meant, when the feeling of his hand leaving hers registered.

She watched in surprise as he cut a piece of cheese from the block sitting on the table in front of them. Unquestioning, she opened her lips when he placed the cheese against them. Her gaze locked on his, she allowed her lips to brush his fingers, seeing the flare of desire in his eyes as he reached for a grape.

"Try the grape. The sweetness brings out the flavor of the cheese." Almost whispering the words, Daniel held the grape to her lips, his body tightening as again, she allowed her lips to brush over his fingers as she sucked the grape from them, a sensual look in her eyes.

He swallowed hard, noticing how the soft light of the fire gave her skin a peachy glow, her eyes dark pools of mystery as they remained on his. Smiling, he reached for the bottle of wine, refilling both their glasses, and trying not to smile at her raised eyebrow.

"My, my Doctor Jackson, that's your second glass of wine. A bit unusual considering your low tolerance, don't you think?" Janet couldn't help but tease him, the wine already going to her head. She hadn't eaten all day, which probably wasn't helping.

"Don't worry, Doctor Fraiser, neither of us is driving tonight, although, I do intend to show you a Valentine's Day you'll never forget."

His words made her heart race as he sipped his wine, looking at her with eyes that held a mystery she suddenly found herself desperate to solve. Sipping her own wine, she allowed him to feed her another morsel of cheese, followed by a handful of grapes.

Figuring turnabout was fair play, she fed him as well, visibly shivering when he repeated her trick of letting his lips brush the pads of her fingers as she held a grape to his lips. Her mind was now focused on what those lips would taste like. It was something she was determined to find out by the end of the evening.

She was lost in her thoughts when she felt the couch shift, and focusing again, noted Daniel had risen and was holding a hand out to her. Trustingly reaching for it, she allowed him to pull her up next to him, their bodies almost, but not quite touching.

"Are you ready for dinner?"

Daniel couldn't help but feel a surge of male pride as he noted the way she licked her lips at his words, and couldn't help but think she was picturing a very different kind of dinner, or perhaps, dessert, as he most certainly was.

Janet knew she had to get control of her emotions, especially if she wanted to remain coherent for whatever else he had planned. She was rather enjoying the side of Daniel she was seeing tonight.

"I'm ready for whatever you've got, Daniel," she replied, giving her words an added bite, knowing he caught her double entendre.

Daniel's heart leapt at her subtle words, and he found himself almost wishing they didn't have reservations at a posh new restaurant in town. He really wanted to stay right here and see if she could truly handle what he had in mind. But that could come later. Right now, he had a seduction to continue.

"Allow me." Linking her arm through his, he walked her to the front door, stopping to help her into her coat before donning his. "Your chariot awaits, milady." With a sweeping gesture, he opened the front door to reveal the black stretch limo waiting outside.

Janet's mouth dropped open as she saw the limo, turning an amazed gaze to her companion. "You hired a limo?" The smile on his face extended well into his eyes.

"Well, I figured if I were going to impress you, I should do it with style." Holding out his arm, he felt that familiar tingle slide over his body as she slid her arm through his.

"Then by all means, lead on." Hoping he couldn't see the emotion filling her eyes at his romantic gesture, she allowed him to lead her to the waiting limousine. Something told her this was just the beginning of a Valentine's Day she would never forget.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two hours later Janet found herself happily relaxing over yet another glass of wine while Daniel told her a humorous story about one of the first archaeological digs he'd attended.

It had been surprisingly easy to find things to talk about as they'd worked their way through a five-course dinner at a swanky new Italian restaurant that had only opened a few months ago. The atmosphere was completely romantic, with candles, flowers and soft music from a small band that played in front of a tiny dance floor.

Over dinner, Janet had been amazed to find she had so much in common with Daniel, from their taste in music, to their preference in TV shows. Overall, with a few exceptions, most notably his penchant for getting injured or attacked by alien life-forms, he really seemed like the perfect man. At least, for her.

Daniel, for his part, had never found it easier to talk to someone than he had Janet. She listened without judging, yet always had a witty remark when needed. She could hold her own with him as far as sarcasm went and more importantly, knew when he was joking and when he was being serious. In essence, he realized that Janet was the exact type of woman he'd been looking for, hoping to find, since he'd lost Sha're.

And she'd been right there, under his nose, the whole time.

"Daniel, you okay?"

Her soft words brought his mind out of his thoughts, and he reached for her hand with a smile. "I'm fine, although I'm wondering if you'd like to dance?"

Janet felt her heart accelerate again at the thought of being so close to Daniel. Not to mention she hadn't danced in years. Nodding her head, she interlocked their fingers as he pulled her from her chair and led her to the dance floor where numerous couples were swaying to the romantic beat of an older love song.

Pulling her close, Daniel wrapped one arm around her waist, catching her right hand with his left. Making sure their bodies were brushing against each other, he began to sway with the music, pleased to find she moved with him in perfect synchronization. Closing his eyes, he allowed himself to pull her closer, his chin coming to rest on the top of her head.

Janet simply closed her eyes and gave her body over to the feelings swamping it as she felt Daniel pull her closer. Their bodies were lightly brushing now, and she could feel the steely strength in the arms that held her against a muscled chest. Not that he hadn't always been cute to her, but she couldn't deny the newly formed muscles that had developed from his intense workouts with Jack and Teal'c, not to mention his recent stint playing Indiana Daniel on a trek through the jungle, were definitely worth it.

Sighing, she allowed her head to rest on his chest, feeling surrounded by his warmth and energy, the low buzz of arousal she'd been fighting all night turning up a notch to a slow burn. Unconsciously, she pressed herself closer, bringing their bodies into full contact, gasping lightly at the feel of him against her.

Daniel inhaled sharply as her soft curves melted into his body, closing his eyes and absorbing the sensation of having Janet nearly plastered against him. The sensation was like nothing he'd ever felt before and he could only wonder that it had taken him this long to figure it out.

Lost in their own world, the two continued to sway together for song after song, oblivious to the amused looks they were getting from their fellow diners. It was only when the musicians decided to take a break that the two managed to pull apart.

Janet caught her breath at the look in Daniel's eyes. There had been a slow burning heat in them all night, but that heat had now turned into a flame.

"You ready to get out of here?" He hoped his words did not sound harsh, but if she kept looking at him like he was dessert, he wasn't going to be responsible for his actions. And he didn't relish the idea of getting kicked out of another restaurant in this town. It had been bad enough the last time that had happened, and O'Malley's still wouldn't let him in.

Janet could only nod, her heart pounding at the thought of what he might have planned next. She really, really hoped it involved returning to her home and engaging in a lot more full body contact.

Reaching their table, he motioned for the waiter, quickly paying the bill. When it was taken care of, he reached for her coat, helping her on with it before donning his and ushering her back out into the cool night air. The limo was waiting and within moments, they were ensconced in the back, Daniel's arm firmly around Janet's shoulders, her body snuggled close to his.

"Daniel, thank you for dinner. It was beautiful." She whispered the words against his chest, where her head comfortably rested.

Daniel couldn't resist leaning down to place a gentle kiss on top of her head. "It was my pleasure. And it was made more beautiful to me by the company."

Her heart leapt again at his words, and she managed to tilt her head until she was looking directly into his eyes. "You know, if I didn't know you better, I'd suppose there was a poet somewhere in you."

Daniel smiled, feeling happier than he had in years. "What can I say, you bring it out in me, Janet." With that, he leaned down until his lips were a mere hairsbreadth from hers. "You bring out a lot of things in me I thought I'd buried back on Abydos."

Janet's breath caught as she read the sincerity in his eyes, knowing instinctively what he was trying to say. She felt her eyes fill with tears as she realized he'd just told her that he was ready to move on with his life.

"You bring out feelings I've never had before, Daniel. You have since almost the first day I met you." She almost whispered the words, so close were his lips to hers. In fact, if she just leaned a little closer, she might be able to feel those lips on hers as she'd dreamed about far too often.

Daniel swallowed at the look in her eyes, reading permission for what he was about to do next. Leaning forward, he gently brushed his lips over hers, not surprised to feel a jolt of desire zing down his spine at the contact.

At the feel of his lips on hers, Janet couldn't hold back a moan, the action opening her lips to him, giving him an opening that he gladly took.

His arms closed tightly around her as he deepened the kiss, allowing his tongue to tangle with hers as he learned the contours and textures of her mouth. Her passionate response to him made him groan as well, as he tightened his grip and prayed for this kiss never to end.

Janet felt her world spinning out of focus, every cell and neuron concentrated on the pleasure his kiss was firing through her body. Pushing herself closer, she allowed another moan to escape, panting as the desperate need for air finally drew her back from him.

They sat staring at each other, eyes afire with passion and desire. Neither was sure what to say, although both suspected words were not necessary.

Daniel was just about to lean in for another kiss when he felt the limo come to a stop. Giving her a small smile, he leaned down and pressed a light, but no less intense, kiss to her lips.

Taking her hand, he helped her out of the limo, nodding to the driver as he guided her up the front walk and onto her front porch. Taking her keys from her unresisting fingers, he opened the door and allowed her to precede him into the house.

Janet was flying high on a cloud of wine and desire, which was probably what caused her to whirl around and pull his lips to hers the instant the front door closed behind them. Whimpering as she felt his hands slip inside her coat, she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him like she'd dreamed about for weeks.

Daniel, while at first surprised by her move, was nonetheless delighted and quickly responded. Slipping his hands to her shoulders, he managed to push her coat off and onto the floor. Running his hands over her silk encased back, he deepened the kiss while making long strokes up and down her spine with his hands.

Janet needed to feel more of him, and almost impatiently, with her lips still locked to his, pushed his coat and suit jacket off his shoulders, whimpering as he pulled away slightly to let both fall to the ground. However, he soon pulled her back into his arms and began devouring her lips, surprising both himself and her with the depths of passion that seemed to come pouring from his soul.

When they finally pulled apart, panting for breath, their gazes remained locked. Daniel knew exactly what he wanted, but despite his forwardness of the past few days, he suddenly found himself almost too shy to ask.

Janet sensed his emotions and with a small smile, reached up to place her palm against his cheek. "Would you like to come upstairs?" She knew the words were rather wanton, but couldn't bring herself to care. The emotions flooding her right now would allow for nothing else.

Daniel smiled at her words, leaning down to brush a light kiss over her lips. While the words gave him the permission he'd been seeking, he still needed to be sure. "You're sure, Janet? I want you, but I can wait if it's too soon-"

She silenced him by placing two fingers over his lips. Smiling into his eyes, she reached for his hand and pulled him with her to the stairs. She'd never been more certain of anything in her life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daniel sighed as he stretched, the warmth of the morning sunlight tingling over his skin. The feel of an added warmth next to him had his eyes slowly opening, delighted to see the small body curled up tightly to his. She was beautiful in sleep, her hair fanned out across the pillow, her face smooth and clear, making her look young and innocent.

Memories of the night before immediately flooded his brain, and with a small smile, and a slight blush, he realized the innocent part of that thought most definitely did not apply. The things she'd done to him, and he to her, well, he'd never believed himself capable of such passion, although now that he'd found it, in himself, and her, he wasn't going to let it go.

"Good morning, pleasant dreams?"

Her soft voice startled him, and he turned to meet her smiling eyes, his own answering smile seeming to reach from ear to ear. Leaning down, he kissed her gently, reveling the way she melted into him, responding with a sweet passion that had his body stirring again.

Janet, for her part, realized just how wonderful it felt to wake up in Daniel's arms. Certainly much better than the dreams she'd had of this very situation. Returning the kiss he gave her in full measure, she was gasping for breath when they parted.

"Now that is the only way to wake up." His words made her smile as she snuggled against his chest, glad to find he was a cuddler as well.

"So, what do you want to do today?" Daniel bit his lip as he uttered the phrase, suddenly wondering if it was too presumptuous. After all, it had only been one night, and they hadn't really talked about where things went from here. Her light laugh did wonders for his suddenly overcrowded mind.

"You still want to spend time with me, now that Valentine's Day is over?" She hated the fact that her words sounded more needy than she'd meant them, but she was wondering where things went now. They hadn't really talked about much last night. Actions had definitely proved louder than words.

Daniel looked down at her, seeing the slight apprehension in her gaze. But it was the memory of those orbs blazing with passion, filled with an emotion he could only hope might be love, that made him smile.

"I want to spend a lot of time with you, Janet. If that's okay with you?"

Janet felt her throat clog as she read the emotions in his eyes. Leaning up, she placed a gentle kiss against his lips. "I'd like that, very much." His grin was contagious and she couldn't help but laugh as he suddenly rolled her until she lay under him.

"In that case, I'm all for not leaving this bed for the entire day. We've got a lot of time to make up for."

She could only moan in response before his lips claimed hers and all thought but one flew from her head.

She was never going to complain about Valentine's Day again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to SaraC