Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Birthday Present

by SaraC
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Birthday Present

Birthday Present

by SaraC

Summary: Janet gets what she really wants for her birthday
Category: Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/31/03

"Happy Birthday!"

Janet Fraiser smiled at the cheerful voice on the other end of the phone. Trust Natalie to call before 7am, for some reason, her friend seemed to always be up at all hours of the night. It probably didn't help that her fiance worked the nightshift. Not to mention the time difference between Colorado and Toronto.

Still, she didn't mind. She'd grown used to the early morning birthday call, considering it had been a regular occurrence for years.

"Thanks, Nat, I was just about ready to hit the shower when you called."

"Oh come on, you knew I'd be calling and you were awake, don't deny it. I know you better than you think." The fact that there was no remorse in her friend's tone only made her smile.

"Sadly, you're one of the only people that do know how restlessly I sleep, and that's only because you've had the bad luck to be kept awake by the bad dreams."

The resulting laughter was warm and filled with memories, although tinged with a sympathy that was unique to only the two friends. Natalie had been there when she was going through the hell of the end of her relationship with her former husband. She had been the one to awaken her from the nightmares and make sure things were okay. Janet was happy to have been able to return the favor a year or so ago when Natalie was having issues with her current fiance. The shared experience had drawn the two women closer and along with Sam, Natalie was one of the best friends she'd ever had.

"True, but you know with Nick's schedule, I'm not much better at sleeping through the night." There was a muffled sound on the other end, and Janet smiled as she realized Nick was trying to grab the phone. His deep, rich voice made her smile as he succeeded.

"Don't listen to her, Jan. She's been up far too long and I'm trying to get her out of here and home to bed."

Janet laughed at the outburst that statement drew from her friend, smiling as she realized how happy the two of them were. After four years of dancing around the issue of their relationship, she was extremely glad they'd worked things out. Now if only the same could be said of her love life.

"So, birthday girl, what are you doing for the big day?"

Janet sighed, running a hand through her hair as she frowned at her alarm clock. "Working."

Groans greeted the reply and she knew they were both listening, so she continued quickly before either could begin talking. "But Cass said something about going out to dinner, so I'm guessing that's later tonight. So a nice, quiet day, thankfully."

"So, any chance a certain drop dead gorgeous archaeologist might be dropping off a present today as well? Something of a more personal nature?"

Janet tried not to feel the quickening of her heartbeat at the words, hoping her voice sounded normal. "I doubt it. Daniel and the others are out of town this weekend for work, so it'll probably be just me and Cassie." She didn't realize how much she'd wanted her other friends around until she heard the slight note of disappointment in her voice.

"Well, I bet he gets you a great present anyhow."

That was Nat, ever the optimist. Still, the reply made her smile.

"Right. I'm sure buying me a birthday present is a top priority on Daniel's list." She hated the fact that her voice sounded wistful. Covering quickly, she tried to sound happier, knowing, however, her friends would see through it. "I'll be fine, though. Nothing like a little mother/daughter bonding for the birthday."

"Well, you just have a happy one, and think of us. Your present should arrive sometime tonight."

Janet laughed as she stretched and yawned into the phone. "You know, you didn't have to send me anything-"

"Yes we did, although you might think twice when you get it."

The cryptic words intrigued her. "Care to tell me what that means? Especially since you've developed a pattern I'm comfortable with regarding my birthday presents?"

"You'll find out. Besides, change is good." The laughter in both voices was obvious and Janet resigned herself to be surprised. "On that note, Jan, we have to go, Nick's getting impatient. So we'll talk to you soon?"

"You'll be hearing from me when I get this so-called present from you." She smiled at her friend's laughter, wishing that Natalie lived closer. It had been far too long since their last visit.

"We'll be waiting."

Nick's reply had her smiling as she exchanged a few final words with her friends and hung up. Feeling as if she could now start her day, the routine morning birthday call over, she headed for the shower, trying not to dwell on how much she wished a certain blue eyed archaeologist would be around to help her celebrate.

Daniel was out of breath as he hurried into O'Malley's. Looking around, he was thankful to note that Janet hadn't arrived yet. Moving towards the spot where the rest of his team and various other people stood talking, he wasn't surprised to note the evil gleam in Jack's eyes.

"Running a little late, Danny? Must be some present you were picking up for the Doc."

Daniel simply ignored him, turning instead to accept the hug from the short brunette that had thrown herself into his arms.

"Natalie, it's good to see you. I know Jan's going to be really surprised." He smiled at the laughter this response drew, turning to offer a hand to the blonde man who had come up to Natalie's side.

"Considering what I had to promise my partner to get the time off, I hope so." The others laughed at Nick Knight's teasing as conversations sprang up around them. Daniel was half listening to Jack and Nick discussing something that sounded suspiciously Simpsons related when he became aware of the intense stares he was getting from Sam and Natalie.

"What, do I have something on my face?" He tried not to feel like prey as both women advanced on him.

"So, you did get Janet something nice, didn't you?"

He swallowed at Sam's words, wondering if Jack felt this way when Sam gave him "the look." It wasn't a pleasant sensation. Still, he knew her well enough to not show how disconcerted he felt.

"Yes, I did. But I'm not telling you what. You'll have to wait and find out along with Janet." There, that should put them off a bit. He was well aware that almost everyone knew about his feelings for the doctor, although he hadn't yet managed to get up the courage to tell Janet himself.

Hopefully though, that would all change tonight.

"Well, I know she'll be looking forward to it. Probably be her favorite present of the night." Natalie winked at Sam as she noted the blush rising on Daniel's cheeks. Leaning over to pat him on the back, she grabbed Sam and dragged her off before he could say anything in reply.

Daniel sighed, settling onto a stool at the bar and ordering a soda. He really didn't want to have any alcohol in his system when he saw Janet tonight. He was determined to tell her how he felt and ask her out to dinner, much to the relief of all those who had encouraged him to do just that for months.

Still, it didn't stop him from being nervous as hell. His nerves jumped up a notch more as Cassie suddenly bounded into the bar. The nervous smile he plastered on his face turned to a frown as he noted she was alone.

"Hey, Cass, where's your mom?" He managed to get the words out even as the teen gave him a hard hug before turning to accept one herself from Jack.

"She got hung up at work, apparently SG-" she stopped as she suddenly realized they had non-SGC people here. With a quick smile she amended her words. "Apparently some last minute injuries came into the infirmary and she promised to meet me here within the hour."

Jack immediately looked at Sam before carefully phrasing his words. "Nothing serious, though, right?"

"Nope. Just a few Daniel type injuries to-um-eight, that's all." Cassie smiled as the others got her reference to SG-8, winking at the annoyed look the archaeologist shot her as she perched on the seat next to him. She smiled as Natalie reached over to give her a hug. Returning the gesture and offering one to Nick, she settled back on the stool.

"Nat, Nick, so glad you made it. Mom is going to be overjoyed to see you. She was telling me about your call this morning."

Natalie smiled as Nick chuckled in her ear. "Yes, I figured she'd be up, it's routine you know, every year without fail. She'll do the same for me."

Sam smiled as she watched Natalie and Cassie interact, looking around in contentment to notice most of the SGC as well as SG-1 and a few other O'Malley regulars were milling around the bar, waiting for the guest of honor to arrive.

"You look too smug, what's going on in that head of yours?"

She smiled at Jack's words, shivering at the tingle that ran down her spine at his closeness. "Nothing much, just realizing how surprised Janet is going to be to see us all here."

"Yep, the Doc is in for a birthday surprise, and if Danny Boy comes through, an even better one than she thinks."

Sam laughed. "Daniel will do it, he's finally ready to admit his feelings. Trust me on this one."

Jack simply nodded, figuring he'd never understand female intuition. At least he had Sam to help him navigate. He had to admit though, he felt for Daniel. Still, it would be good to see them both happy, the two certainly deserved it.

Daniel smiled to himself as he watched Sam and Jack banter with each other, looking perfectly comfortable standing next to each other, while trying not to look too comfortable. He sighed, hoping his friends found a way to work out their relationship, they deserved a little happiness.

But at the moment, he was more concerned about his own happiness. He was getting more anxious as the night went on and with no sign of Janet yet, his courage was disintegrating. Which was why he was extremely happy to hear Cassie suddenly call out "Mom's coming!"

A flurry of activity had everyone gathering around the bar, looking towards the door as they waited for the small brunette to enter. Daniel took a deep breath, stepping to the front of the pack, right along with Nick, Nat, Cassie and the rest of SG-1.

His heart did a little flip as he saw her enter, her cheeks flushed from the cold air, hair falling in waves around her face. She'd obviously changed, her form silhouetted in the light revealing a clingy blue dress that showcased her generous curves and ended slightly above her knees.

She was the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen, and the look of surprised delight on her face as everyone yelled `surprise!" only made her more beautiful to him.

Now if he could only remember to breathe.

Janet smiled at the man who held the door open for her, although her mind was not on the knowing smile he gave in reply. She was wondering how long Cassie had been here ahead of her and feeling guilty for being late.

Not that all four members of SG-8 returning from PX7-A23 with what appeared to be `paranoid delusions' wasn't a good excuse. All were happily now resting calmly, whatever agent had been affecting them dissipating on their return to earth, and she had blackmail material for months if she were to need it to coerce patient cooperation.

The memory put a smile on her face as she stepped into the restaurant and turned her gaze towards the bar.

Her jaw dropped in delighted surprise to see the mass of familiar faces beaming at her, the yelled `surprise' registering vaguely at the back of her mind. Natalie and Nick looked amused, while Sam, Jack and Teal'c looked satisfied. But it was the expression in Daniel's eyes that had her breath catching in her throat. Her heart began thumping painfully as he smiled at her. A knowing smile, filled, it seemed to her, with unspoken promises for the night to come.

"Happy Birthday, Mom!"

She was jolted from her thoughts as Cassie threw herself into her arms and she hugged her daughter tightly, trying to ignore the intense blue eyes still focused on her.

"Cass, what in the world-"

"We wanted to surprise you, and we did, didn't we mom?" At Cassie's eager look, Janet could only smile and hug her harder.

"It's a wonderful surprise!" Turning, she found herself hugged tightly by Natalie and soon after Nick, who whirled her around a few times before placing her back on her feet.

"So I take it this is the `surprise' you two told me about this morning?" At their nods, she laughed. "Well, I don't think I'll be sending it back, so consider yourself lucky this time."

"You know we do, it's good to see you, Jan." She smiled at Nick's words, only to be whirled around and into Jack's arms as he gave her a quick hug.

"So, aren't you glad to see us as well?"

"I bet your more glad that I don't come bearing needles," she shot back, smiling as he winced. Turning, she accepted a hug from Sam as well, barely managing to ask how this had all come about.

"Well, we knew we wanted to celebrate with you, so we arranged to come back last night, without telling you. General Hammond sends his best by the way, he had a recital for his granddaughter he couldn't miss tonight."

She knew that, having heard it from the man himself a few hours ago. Still, it had been nice of him to wish her a happy birthday before leaving.

"I join in wishing you a happy birthday DoctorFraiser. It is a mark of pride to turn a year older. With great age comes great wisdom." The Jaffa looked puzzled as half of the crowd laughed, while Janet tried to hide her amusement, knowing Teal'c had not just deliberately insinuated she was `old.'

"Thank you, Teal'c." Smiling, she impulsively reached up to hug the man, smiling as what could almost be described as a hint of a smile crossed the Jaffa's face.

Now that that was over, there was only one person left to greet. Taking a deep breath, she tried for a neutral expression as she turned to meet Daniel's gaze. To her great surprise, and utter delight, the usually timid archaeologist pulled her into his arms and gave her a hard hug.

Her heart literally felt as if it might beat out of her chest as she returned the embrace, using the moment to breathe in the unique scent of his skin and the cologne he wore. He'd hugged her before, but never quite like this. Not to her surprise, she much preferred this type of hug.

"Happy Birthday, Janet." Daniel hoped he didn't sound like a stumbling fool, but the feel of her in his arms had pretty much eliminated all rational thought from his mind. He knew he held her a little closer, a little tighter than was strictly `acceptable' for friends, but he had a feeling no one around them would complain.

Nor, it seemed, would Janet.

"Thanks, Daniel. I'm really glad you're all here." She pulled back, almost reluctantly leaving the haven she'd found in his arms, her breath catching at the look of loss in his eyes as he slowly let her go. Feeling a blush climb into her cheeks, ignoring the knowing looks from those around them, she turned and tried to gather her composure.

"Okay, let's eat! I'm starving after the day I had."

Thankfully, her voice sounded normal and she smiled as Natalie and Sam linked arms with her, drawing her over to the large table that had been set up for them.

"We're going to talk about that hug, later."

Janet blushed at Natalie's whisper, getting a laugh from Sam as well.

"Darn right we are, and who knows, it could even get juicier as the night goes on."

The blush darkened as Janet tried to ignore her friend's teasing. It was no secret that she had feelings for Daniel. Everyone, it seemed, but the man himself, could see it. Although, tonight's actions so far showed he might finally have gotten a clue.

Then again, it could just be wishful thinking on her part. After all, they were good friends, close ones at that after Cassie's near death experience and even closer after his return from ascension. But so far, that was all they had been. Friends.

Maybe her luck was about to change.

"So, Jan, everything all right with your patients?" At Jack's question, she raised an eyebrow, imperceptibly nodding to Nick and Natalie, who were laughing at something Cassie was saying. "Cassie told us that you had `eight' of them before you left."

Ah. Janet smiled at her daughter's resourceful thinking. "Nothing serious. Some bumps, bruises, paranoid delusions about force lances and computer avatars from the CO, but that's about it."

At the looks of shock on the faces around her, she burst into laughter. "Trust me, it was something in the air."

Getting raised eyebrows in reply, she settled into her seat, feeling her heart accelerate again to note that Daniel had placed himself next to her, with Cassie on her other side. Unconsciously, she found herself shifting just a bit closer to Daniel, wondering if he'd notice.

Daniel wondered if it had been a smart move to take the seat next to Janet. His body was already reacting to that simple hug from earlier and being so close he could smell her perfume was certainly going to be torture, albeit a delightful one, on his already tense body.

As he settled into his chair, he noted that Janet had almost imperceptibly moved her chair closer to him. He had to work hard to hide his smile.

Then again, this close proximity could have some unforeseen benefits.

An hour later, Janet found herself slightly tipsy from the two glasses of wine she'd consumed while munching on a hamburger and stealing chips from the huge plate of nacho's that Daniel had ordered.

It had been a thoroughly enjoyable meal, exchanging gossip and catching up with Nick and Nat and bringing them up to date with things in Colorado Springs. Surprisingly, conversation was easy, being that everyone from the SGC was used to talking around what they did, and the fact that Nick and Nat knew this and didn't ask any prying questions. Not to mention the fact that she knew Nick and Nat had their own personal secrets that were best left unasked or questioned.

Overall, she couldn't have imagined a happier birthday. Things were nearly perfect as she was surrounded by friends and family, all of whom seemed to be enjoying the others company as well. She really couldn't have asked for anything more.

Until she felt Daniel's hand brush against her leg under the cover of the table.

Thankful she'd long ago mastered the knack of keeping her expression neutral in the face of surprise, she tried not to look over at the man sitting next to her. The feel of his hand against her skin, even through the thin material of her dress was wonderfully arousing, with a special thrill at knowing all their friends were sitting around them and could discover this clandestine touch at any time.

Risking a sidelong glance at Daniel, she found him talking animatedly with Jack, although she couldn't focus on what they were saying. Which was probably good because she didn't know if she was capable of speech at the moment. Still, she mustered her wits enough to turn and answer a question Natalie had asked, thankful she'd caught the tail end of it.

Daniel, for his part, was proud that he'd actually gotten up the nerve to do what he'd wanted to for the past hour. Her thigh was so temptingly close and he could feel the heat of her body against his leg. Throughout the course of the meal, he'd found himself leaning closer to her, an action, he noted, she mirrored until their sides were almost touching.

Glad she hadn't jumped in shock or more importantly, pulled away, he decided to live a little and tightened his grip a bit, feeling the silk of her dress against his rough palm. The sensation was unique and brought to mind images of her stretched out across silk sheets, wearing nothing more than him.

Had it suddenly gotten hotter?

Swallowing hard, he reached for his glass of water, taking care to keep his hand right where it was. When he thought it safe, he risked a glance at his companion, who was talking quite animatedly with Natalie about something.

But this close, he could see the pulse pounding in her throat and he smiled to himself, knowing she was just as affected as he.

The silent communication between the two was broken a few moments later as Cassie jumped from her seat. Quickly, Daniel pulled his hand back, not wanting the teen to notice where it had been. He was surprised at the sense of loss he felt at the action, and if he was not mistaken, he'd heard a soft sigh from Janet herself.

"Okay, it's present time!"

Janet didn't know if she should be amused or exasperated at her daughter's words. She settled on amused as her daughter wandered over to the table containing a plethora of brightly wrapped boxes.

"Okay, this one is from me. I want you to open it first."

Taking the rather large, flat package from her daughter, she carefully unwrapped a long, thin box. Pulling off the cover, she felt her eyes water at the object that stared up at her. It was a beautiful watercolor painting of their home.

"Cassie, sweetie, this is beautiful, did you do this yourself?"

Her daughter beamed as the picture was held up for all to see. "It was my project this semester in art. Mrs. Rosenbaum said to paint whatever we thought of as `home' and this is what home is to me."

Janet's eyes watered, as did those of the other members of SG-1. Turning, she embraced her daughter tightly, knowing how much it meant that Cassie considered her, and Earth, her home now.

"Thank you sweetie, I'll treasure it always."

She noted her daughter quickly wiped away the tear that had slid down her cheek, moving back to the table to grab another package.

"Okay, now I'm going in random order!"

Janet laughed along with the others as she began to open presents, still almost uncannily aware of Daniel leaning close to her to observe each gift as she unwrapped it. She found herself taking even more time with the process, simply because it kept him closer longer.

Sam gifted her with a pair of emerald earrings the two had seen a few weeks ago while on a rare shopping spree while Jack and Teal'c had gotten together to buy her the DVD collection of one of her favorite TV shows, "Smallville." It was a little kept secret that she and Cassie were addicted to the show and had successfully drawn the rest of SG-1 into it as well. Jack prefaced the gift by inviting himself and the rest of SG-1 over one weekend for a marathon watching party.

Nick and Nat presented her with a rare, autographed first edition of one of her favorite classics, Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein." It was sort of a tradition between the three of them, as they were two of the few people who knew about her addiction to `first editions' of classic literature. It never ceased to amaze her how they got ahold of these, but she eagerly anticipated them each year. All Nat would tell her was that Nick had `connections.' She really didn't want to know more than that.

"Okay, by means of elimination, there's only one present left to go. Space Monkey, cough it up, I want to see what you got the good Doc."

Janet turned to face the archaeologist, who suddenly looked a little nervous at Jack's amused words. Her heart began to beat just a little faster at the look in his eyes as he rose and headed over to where he'd left his jacket among the others.

/You can do this, Daniel. It's easy. Just don't think about everyone watching you/

Grabbing the small box from the pocket, he took a deep breath as he returned to the table and placed it in front of Janet.

"It's just something little, but, well, I think you'll understand when you open it. At least, I hope you'll remember."

There, that hadn't been too bad, had it? Other than the way Jack was looking from him, to the small box, everyone else seemed to be focused on Janet instead of his bumbling speech.

Janet found herself barely breathing as she pulled the paper off the box, opening it carefully, almost as if what were inside might break at her touch. Her breath did catch in her throat as she found herself staring at a small pair of intertwined hands made out of perfect crystal, suspended on a thin gold chain.

Images of their clasped hands as he'd tried to comfort her during Cassie's ordeal with Nertti bombarded her, along with his words, promising support and that he'd be there if she needed anything. It was a perfect reminder of, in her mind, the moment she'd begun to realize she felt a lot more for him than just friendship.

"Daniel, it's beautiful! Especially since I know exactly what it means."

Daniel felt his heart start beating again, the look in her eyes, though filled with tears, telling him she clearly remembered their `hallway' conversation from a few years back. He remembered it as the moment he'd finally admitted he had feelings for Janet, when he'd suddenly realized he missed the warmth of her palm in his as she'd left him to go check on Cassie.

He'd had the necklace specially crafted, in hopes she'd remember too, and from the looks of things, he might not be alone in his shared memory of that moment.

"Okay, care to clue the rest of us in?"

Jack's annoyed voice brought them out of their intense gaze, and both turned to smile at the amusement and confusion on their friends' faces. Before she could speak, although not sure what she'd say, Daniel took the matter out of her hands.

"Actually, that's between Janet and I, and that's all you need to know."

Janet laughed at the pout on Jack's face and the amusement on Sam and Natalie's faces as they exchanged glances. She knew they were planning to question her later, but she was just as adept at dodging questions as the both of them.

"You're no fun." With that, Jack motioned for their waiter and ordered another round. Daniel couldn't help but smile at his friend's reaction, enjoying the idea that he and Janet shared something that no one else did.

Janet smiled as she looked around, wondering how she'd ended up here, with such wonderful friends and family. It was something she did not intend to take for granted, knowing all too well how fast things could change.

"Okay, now that the presents are done, I think we need some dancing!"

The others at the table gaped at Cassie's sudden outburst, watching as the teenager looked over to the bar with an eager expression on her face. Janet noted who had just walked in and had to hold back her own grin. She'd wondered where Dominic was, and now the question had been answered.

"Um, Janet, why is that boy over there looking at Cassie like she's dessert?"

Jack's hard voice made Janet burst into laughter, along with Sam.

"Oh, that's just her boyfriend, Dominic. You've heard her talk about him, I know."

"Yeah, but talking is one thing, seeing is another. He doesn't look like he can be trusted, just how well do you know him?"

Janet shot Jack an amused look. "Pretty well, considering he's been seeing Cassie for about six months."

"Six months? And she never thought to introduce us?"

This time it was Daniel who sounded overprotective and it warmed her heart to no end. Smiling, she leaned over, using the move as an excuse to pat him on the shoulder. "It's not like you guys have been around much in the past few months and Jack hasn't had a barbeque in ages."

"Still, I don't like it. She's still a baby."

"She's 18, Jack. Well able to make her own decisions. Perfectly legal, too." Sam's amused voice made Janet smile as both Jack and Daniel looked far from happy.

"She better bring him over here, I think it's about time we met." Daniel wasn't surprised at his, or Jack's feelings. After all, Cassie was pretty much SG-1's daughter as well and they all acted like overbearing parents at times.

"Don't disturb them, she'll bring him over when she's ready." Janet watched as Sam tried to calm Jack, finally succeeding by dragging him off to the dance floor with her, just as a slow song began to play. Nick and Natalie quickly followed as did Cassie and Dominic. Teal'c was content, as usual, to quietly watch and did so with his usual stoic charm.

Daniel smiled as he watched his friends leave before turning and offering his hand to Janet.

"Care to?"

Janet's heart began racing again as she smiled into his eyes. "I'd love to." Grasping his hand, she allowed him to pull her to her feet and lead her across the room, never letting go of her hand in the process.

She sighed as he found an empty spot on the floor and pulled her into his arms. Sinking closer to his warm body, she allowed herself to get lost in the moment, enjoying the way she fit against him, her head barely reaching the middle of his chest.

"You know, I've wanted to dance with you like this for a long time now."

The words startled her, and she looked up to meet his gaze. To her surprise, she could read the emotions there quite clearly. And they took her breath away. They also gave her the courage to reply.

"I've been waiting for you to ask me."

Daniel felt his heart soar at her words, and at the look she was giving him. If he'd had any doubts about her feelings for him, they were now gone. There could be no other meaning for the look she was giving him. Pulling her closer, he closed his eyes, resting his chin on the top of her head. It was simply heaven to be holding her like this and he never wanted to let go.

Janet, too, was wishing this night would never end. Wrapped in Daniel's arms, she felt more secure and safe than she ever had in her life. The meaning behind his words and actions tonight left no doubt in her mind that he considered her more than a friend, but the question now was, how much more?

The two reluctantly pulled apart as the music drew to a close, although neither let the other go. Their eyes widened, however, as the DJ began to speak.

"This next song is a special request. It goes out to the `birthday girl' Janet Fraiser, from all her friends and family in hopes it will get her the present she really wants tonight."

Janet felt her pulse begin to pound in her ears as the familiar strains to an old, but much loved song began to play.

Daniel, for his part, suddenly wondered what they were up to, and just how embarrassing this could get. Still, the delightful way Janet was blushing almost made it worth it. It was only as the words to the song registered, that he realized what their friends were implying.

How can I convince you,
What you see is real?
Who am I to blame you,
For doubting what you feel.
I was always reaching,
You were just a girl I knew.
I took for granted, the friend I had in you.

Janet felt her eyes tear as the words washed over her, and unable to help herself, turned in Daniel's arms to see his reaction to the words. The look in his eyes as he met her gaze literally made her heart stop.

Daniel, for his part, felt the words expressed perfectly what he'd been feeling for this woman for far too long. Emotions and feelings he'd kept from her, taking for granted their friendship while he tried to make sense of his crazy life.

Almost unconsciously, he brushed a finger over her cheek, marveling at the softness, and the look in her eyes, as he listened to the chorus.

I was living for a dream.
Loving for a moment.
Taking our love away.
That was just my style.
Then I touched your hand,
I can see forever.
The search is over,
You were with me all the while.

Janet felt a tear slip down her cheek at the wonder in his expression, the words obviously meaning to him exactly what they did to her.

"Daniel-"

"Shhhh, don't talk, not yet. I want to savor this moment." Daniel knew he had to say something, and soon, but for the moment, all he wanted to do was bask in the knowledge that he had completely, utterly, and totally fallen in love with his friend.

His wonderful, talented, gorgeous, funny, smart and stubborn friend.

"Would you go out with me?"

They both started at the words, seeming as they did, to come out of nowhere. Daniel felt himself blushing as he realized how awkward he must have sounded, but before he could speak, she stopped him by placing two fingers over his lips.

"I'd love to go out with you, Daniel. I've wanted you to ask me for a long time."

She held her breath at her confession, hoping to see something of the same nature in his eyes. She was not disappointed and her heart filled to overflowing as he leaned down to rest his forehead against hers.

"Thank you." He whispered the words, almost uncertain if she could hear them, but obviously she had.

Janet looked up at him in confusion. "For what?"

Daniel laughed as he pulled back and brushed a strand of hair from her forehead. "For putting up with me as I tried to work my life out, for not giving up on me."

Janet smiled again as she leaned against him, enjoying the warmth of his body against hers. "You're welcome, I'm just glad you finally worked it out." She paused a moment, biting her lip before continuing. "You have worked it out, haven't you?" She hated the fact that she sounded so needy, but she couldn't help herself.

Daniel looked deep into her eyes, seeing she truly was frightened of his answer. He cursed himself for putting that fear there, determining in that moment to do what he could to right things.

"Everything is crystal clear and every picture I have in my head about my future, involves you." It was a rather risky sentiment, but from the look in her eyes, it was the right one.

Janet could think of no verbal reply to such a confession, so she answered it non-verbally.

Daniel's eyes slid closed as she pulled his head down and kissed him. The feel of her lips against his drew a low moan from the back of his throat as his arms closed tightly around her, holding her fast to him as she parted her lips and allowed him entrance to the delights of her mouth.

Janet had never felt such bliss before and was determined to never feel it with anyone but this man again. His lips were firm and sure, his arms tight and strong, making her feel as if there was nothing else in the world except them.

When they finally parted for air, they simply stared at each other, neither quite sure what to say. Finally, Daniel broke the moment with a small grin.

"So, you ready to go back and face the firing squad, or do you want to stay out here and hope our luck holds for another slow song?"

Janet smiled, leaning closer as he pulled her against him. "I think I can put that off for a while. Besides," she reached up and gave him a quick kiss, "I like it right where I am and I don't intend to move for a very, very long time."

"I can live with that," he said with a soft smile, leaning down to claim another kiss.

When they finally parted, Janet smiled up at him as she rested her head against his chest, realizing she'd just gotten the one birthday present she'd wished for for years. She was not going to let this one go.

"Happy Birthday, Janet." Daniel whispered the words against her hair as she sighed contently against his chest, realizing that he'd never felt happier in his life. Closing his eyes, he let the music sweep over him as the song finished, aptly expressing everything he'd ever wanted to say to the woman now happily wrapped in his arms.

The search is over,
Love was right before, my eyes

The End

Author Notes: There is a music video that goes with this story. If you're interested, you can find it at:

http://www.geocities.com/ethansresa/video.html

It's called "The Search Is Over'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to SaraC