Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Remodeling

by Sandra
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Remodeling

Remodeling

by Sandra

Title: Remodeling
Author: Sandra
Email:MishaNova2000@aol.com
Status: Finished, finally!
Category: Um, Sam and Daniel
Spoilers: None that I can tell
Season/Sequel Info: Well, hard to tell considering that S/D will never get together in the series, but let's say third season
Rating: G?
Content Warning: I guess I should pre-warn: this is terrible sentimental drivel, but hey, it made me happy
Summary: Just a love story between a couple of team members not many people picture together. By the way, this doesnotmean I don't adore the smug Colonel.
Disclaimer: Don't own them, although I wish I did. Not making any money on this, and so on. All preexisting Stargate SG-1 characters belong to MGM.
Author's note: I love feedback dear people (hint, hint). Plus, this is the first piece of fan fiction I ever wrote and I hope you enjoy it.

No affirmation was needed; the situation was excruciatingly clear. What had begun as friendship grew into a fervent - somewhat unfortunate - love. He knew it and there was no turning back now; the secret had to be out now or never. It was the 'never' part that concerned him. If he told her how he felt now, both their worlds would collapse, their destinies rewritten with an uncertain route and closing. He could not tell her now, not while she still had unresolved feelings for another man. Hell, he could not even tell her when it seemed like they were fighting their last battle. It did not matter if he stared at the face of evil or gazed into her discerning sky-blue eyes, he could not coerce his lips to move the way his heart proposed. However, he felt that if he did not tell her now, his heart, soul and mind would with scream out with unbelievable sadness and loss.

'Sadness and loss I could deal with,' he thought, 'but love and happiness -everything this wonderful woman brought to him in his hour of need- were too unusual to be real.'

"Hey, Danny-boy, snap out of it," Jack shouted, "we need you over here. Sam found something."

Daniel's heart skipped a beat at the mere mention of her name, and he quickly appeared next to Jack, attempting to conceal his pink cheeks.

"I'm sorry Jack. I was just thinking about something." he stated. Jack gave him an understanding glance and motioned to a red artifact buried in the sand. Daniel remained standing until he saw a red gem sparkling in the scorching sun and then leaned in for a closer look. He carefully brushed away the few remaining accumulations of sand, and excitedly observed the small precious stone.

"Well, Daniel, what is it?" Jack asked impatiently.

"Honestly, I wouldn't know Jack, it looks familiar though." Daniel announced.

"Well, the base of it is marble as far as I can tell," Sam appeared by his side. The feel of her breath on his cheek made Daniel forget about the artifact he was holding.

"Yes, I believe so. We should bring it to the lab for a more extensive research. How did you find it, Sam?" he recuperated, still avoiding eye contact. Sam coughed and looked up,

"I don't know Daniel, it was just laying there. It's pretty weird, things like these don't usually just pop out as soon as we take a few steps."

"You think it was planted here for us, Captain?" Jack frowned, looking around in a protective manner.

"I don't believe so Sir, but then again stranger thingshavebeen known to happen." Sam responded and accidentally brushed against Daniel's arm. He straightened up and looked at Teal'c.

"Teal'c, have you seen anything like this before?"

Teal'c remained quiet for a moment and then spoke, tilting his head to the right,

"I do not believe so, Daniel Jackson."

Daniel turned the gem in his hands, and it felt cold to the touch, but then warmed up considerably.

"It seems to adjust to its surrounding temperature. I'd really like to get an analysis on this..." he quipped.

Sam directed a warm smile to his curved back, remembering how the boys down in the lab department placed a bet on whether Daniel would dig up another rock for them to work on past their regular hours again. She blushed at the thought of her winnings - she made way too much money predicting Daniel's actions. A voice inside her whispered'If you knew everything as well as you know Daniel, you'd be a very rich woman,' but the thought went ignored.

"Well, kids, we still have a lot more ground to cover, so let's split up and meet at the gate at 20:00 hrs." Jack said, rubbing his forehead and looking somewhere over the sand dunes. Teal'c stiffened and looked in the same direction as Jack. He felt something in the distance and tried to concentrate his eyes past the mild sandstorm. He raised his eyebrow as dark shadows came into focus.

"O'Neill, I believe we have visitors."

The small group stared at the figures emerging from the wind, weapons at the ready. Daniel, unarmed and oblivious to any potential danger watched the figures with curiosity. The shapes were now close enough for him too see their snobbish posture and slender contour. Four of them wore long bronze robes with hoods that covered everything but their faces. Each wore a red gem - which looked slightly like the one Daniel was holding in his palm, only smaller - around the neck. The fifth member of the advancing group was a woman. Her appearance resembled a carved stone; she seemed unmoving and permanent. SG-1 was under the illusion they were the ones moving toward her. Jack gripped his weapon realizing the group was within a meter radius.

"There is no need to be hostile, my brothers." the woman whispered and turned to Daniel who was still clutching the red gem. Daniel involuntary glanced at the stone and then at the figure in front of him.

"That, my brothers," the woman said gesturing at the stone, "belongs to our brethren who would surely appreciate to have it back."

Jack chuckled and tried to remain placid,

"Daniel, what is she saying?"

"Jack, that was English." Daniel gave him a confused look.

"No, I meant, what the hell does she want?"

Daniel took a breath before answering,

"I believe she wants the artifact."

"Should we give it to her?" Sam asked.

"It would be logical to make sure the stone indeed belong to her." Teal'c determined.

"It does not belong to me. It belonged to someone who did not appreciate the vatr'e enough...You may keep it, my friends." the woman said and nodded to the rest of her assembly.

"Vatr'e? Is that what it's called?" Daniel innocently observed the stone. Jack mentally frowned 'That kid wouldn't know liability if it bit him on the..'

"Daniel, you find nothing suspicious about this?" Sam voiced Jack's concerns.

Daniel looked up, awoken by the sound of Sam's voice. He seemed to revert back to his meditation-state for a short moment, but then asked,

"Why do you offer us something that is not yours to give?"

The woman smiled gently, the small lines around her eyes visible.

"I do not offer the vatr'e to you, I merely acknowledge you as the new possessor. Multitude of greatness to you, my friend." the woman turned to leave. Before the group had time to respond, the small sand assembly was lost in the remote sandstorm.

"Welcome back, SG-1." Hammond's voice reflected what Sam felt. She was thrilled to be back home. For the past month it's been mission after mission, and she found herself with no quality-time for herself. 'Which wasn't all bad,' she thought. At least it made her forget about her unsuccessful relationship with Mark. True, it barely resembled a relationship, but itwasone, nonetheless. She listened to the General briefly and then headed for the locker rooms. Her head was throbbing, and her mind prompted the memory of her last hangover, which was essentially Janet's fault. 'It's always Janet'sfault when the deed isn't as good or sweet as Captain Carter appears, huh?' a little voice mocked.

She finally reached the locker rooms, and jumped in the shower. She planned on a short shower, but then noticed sand had gotten everywhere. She hummed to the tune of some old melody, and reflected on the latest mission.

"Well, at least it didn't lack in the bizarre department." She noticed.

For a short mission as that one was, it sure did seem significant, somehow. There was something odd with the folks they encountered there, but Daniel was acting a little weird, as well. 'Daniel!' she remembered her offer to help him analyze the artifact after the debriefing. She quickly finished the shower and dressed. She wasn't deliriously happy about staying at the base, but at least she would be doing something better than feeling sorry for her lack of a love life. 'Plus, Daniel's nice company.' She mused.

Hammond had no problems with Jack's little tirade of a report, and promised SG-1 a three-day stand-down.

He kept his eyes on the table for most of Jack's initial report. He only glanced at Sam a few times and was greeted by a playful grin. He could tell she was bored, and her mind was already wondering. She was watching the whole room and paid every person the same amount of respect and attention, but Daniel could see she was rather impatient; she looked like she had somewhere else to be. However, then he remembered - she offered to stay with him at the base to study the red artifact they brought to SGC. His heart pounded a little faster at the thought, and his fingers automatically tapped the oak table until Teal'c gave him a strange look. He smiled and waited for Jack to finish. As Daniel was about to stand up and leave the debriefing-room with the rest of SG-1, Hammond's voice stopped him

"Now, son, I didn't really hear your opinion on this, what do you think of these vatr'e people? Can we seek their alliance? Did you see any signs of developed technology?"

Daniel thought about it for a moment. He didn't really see anything unusually special about the planet. Come to think of it, the more he though about it the more the memory faded away. The thought worried him for a moment, but then he dismissed it as irrelevant.

"Actually Sir, we should probably send another team. There was a sandstorm coming and we didn't stick around long enough to find anything besides the artifact."

Hammond dismissed him, and Daniel slowly walked towards the lab where the red artifact awaited. More importantly, though, Sam was there, and would continue to be until the early hours.

She beat Daniel to the lab, and was now waiting there, inspecting the glass vials that housed sand extraction from previous missions. Daniel entered the room quietly, observing Sam as she focussed on the vial with a proud smirk. He felt proud just watching her in action - out in the field or back here in the lab. She was amazing. When they were off-world, Sam went into what Daniel called 'Jack mode' and revealed the military aspect of her character. When she was in the lab with him or Janet, her sharp mood complimented by a scientist's genius was in full bloom. She would get equally excited about a new find as Daniel did, and they would chatter about it blissfully until Jack muttered something about getting a life.

"Hey, Daniel. You want to start this thing?" he heard Sam's voice and found that she was watching him with her perceptive blue eyes. He coughed and nodded, and was suddenly by her side.

"Daniel, um, did you get a strange feeling about the last mission?" Sam asked looking at him intently. He considered the question - therewassomething odd, but he couldn't really put a finger on it.

"I only ask because it's getting harder to remember," she said, "and I can't shake this feeling that therewassomethingtoremember."

Daniel was quiet for a moment, and then said,

"We should have Janet check us out again," Sam nodded and he continued, "We should probably try to locate Jack and Teal'c."

Sam laughed at the thought. Jack and Teal'c would never be found right after a stand-down has been acknowledged. She smiled at Daniel,

"Yeah, you know what, let's talk to Janet and see if there is a reason to interrupt Jack's night off."

Daniel felt a pinch of jealousy at her consideration of Jack's feelings, but nodded in agreement. They started at the door, and were soon in Janet's office.

"Sam? Daniel?" Janet tilted her head looking up from her work.

"Hey Janet, did anything seem wrong with our physicals?" Sam inquired. Janet shook her head,

"No, everything looked fine. Why, is anything wrong?"

"No, I guess it was just my imagination then." Sam frowned and looked at Daniel.

"Well, maybe you guys should get some sleep. See me tomorrow morning if you think we should repeat the physical."

Sam and Daniel nodded.

After leaving Janet's office, Sam squeezed Daniel's hand,

"Daniel, you look tired. You should go home and get a good night's rest. I'll stay here and work for a couple of hours and let you know tomorrow if there's anything new."

Daniel looked at her gratefully, acknowledging his weariness. She smiled and let his hand fall freely down his side. He was indeed tired - it was hell to be by her side all day. Daniel wanted to stay with her through the night, but knew that there might be harmful consequences if he did.

"Alright, call me if you find out anything." He yawned and gave her a goodbye glance. He walked away slowly as Sam inquiringly stared after him. She stayed motionless for a few moments watching Daniel move away. 'Admirable body, huh, Sam?'a little voice murmured quietly. Shocked at her accidental and very shameful thoughts, she retreated to the lab. 'Where the heck did that come from?' she wondered. Concluding that her lack of a love life was forcing her to fantasize 'Oh we're fantasizingnow, are we?' about her friend, Sam concentrated on the red gem displayed on a metal table. She carefully picked it up and observed the lean angles until her fingertips discovered the small inscription on one of the sides of the marble base. She mused at the small symbols as she tried to recognize the language.

"Daniel would know..." she voiced aloud. She looked around to make sure she was alone, fearing her voice sounded too urgent for the situation. She let out a quiet sigh and reached for one of Daniel's vernacular books. She flipped through the pages with no success, until she randomly glanced at the antique wall timepiece and realized she spent over two hours slouched over a book. Both Jack and Janet were right - she was in desperate need of a 'life'. She closed the colossal book and returned it to its regular place with care. She turned off the lights and exited the lab.

To his own surprise, Daniel woke up rather late. He jumped in the shower and thought about last night. He came home and listened to the messages on his answering machine. The very last message was from Jack - who called somewhat inebriated wondering if Daniel was up for a night on the town with him and Teal'c. Daniel chuckled once again as the hot water trickled down his face. He felt rested and ready to spend the day with Sam dissecting the red artifact. His doorbell chirped and startled him. He draped a white towel over his lower body and rushed to the door. He opened it to find a very shocked Sam. She looked almost as abashed as he felt.Almost.

"Um, hi Sam. Come in." he motioned with his free hand. She walked in prudently, unsure of how to act. He was soaking wet and left soggy footprints on the plush carpet. Holding his towel awkwardly with his left hand, he looked at Sam. She was not able to look at him, her cheeks red, and that offered Daniel a strange sensation of control.

Sam looked up shyly and fixed her lovely blue eyes on his face, frightened to move her gaze anywhere. Daniel smiled at somewhat peculiarly and said,

"Um, I'm just going to go put something on." and made his way out of the living room. Sam let out at breath of -relief?- and looked adamantly at the wet spot on the floor where Daniel stood mere seconds ago. She grinned at the image of Daniel's soaking physique. She couldn't remove the image of his silky hair drenched with water and his muscles glistening with crystal drops. She placed a hand on her forehead, feeling for a fever, and shook her head. 'Nope, no fever.' She concluded. Daniel appeared again, this time wearing a black T-shirt and khakis. He adjusted his glasses and asked,

"Did you find anything last night?"

"Actually yes, a small inscription in the marble base, but I couldn't identify the language. I copied the words down...I thought you would probably know." She answered. Daniel sat next to her and excitedly observed the black symbols on the white paper she handed him. Sam caught his breath on her lips as he turned and enthusiastically said,

"Well, I couldn't give you a correct name, but I do know where I saw these symbols." She gave a slight nod, acknowledging that she was listening.

"Right here on Earth! Egypt, to be exact. About three thousand years BC there was an architect - Imhotep Khaba, who build one of the first pyramids. He essentially became a legend and was celebrated as a god later on. After he build Djoser's Step Pyramid, his name was everywhere, including the lost statue of Djoser. He was dubbed the 'Over-seer of the Seers' and the Greeks associated him with Asklepios, their god of wisdom and medicine. I saw these symbols inscribed on a wall in a chapel near Philae." He took a deep breath. Sam watched him in awe. She never fathomed how one person could remember so much.

"Oh, Sam. Do you know what this means? That stone back at the base belongs to a people who worship...or at least know of Imhotep or Asklepios." Daniel bore his blue eyes into hers seeking understanding. Sam frowned,

"You said Asklepios was the god of medicine?"

"Yes,"

"Well, the people back on the planet all had a stone like the one we have. Maybe the stone has some healing qualities?" Sam inquired. Daniel seemed to be thinking about it,

"It did warm to my body temperature when I touched it." He nodded. Silence filled the room. Daniel spoke first,

"There are numerous cultures who believe various gems posses healing powers and wear them."

"I think we should pay another visit to the planet." Sam said.

Teal'c focused his eyes past the sand dunes, searching for any sign of life. They spent over 10 hours here and no one approached them yet. He thought for a second their last visitation had been nothing but a sun-induced illusion. Teal'c watched as Colonel O'Neill scratched the back of his head in confusion and shouted,

"Hey, Danny, you sure you dialed the right place?"

Daniel Jackson gave him a blameless look. Captain Carter turned to face the Colonel,

"Sir, I think we should move further," Sam suggested.

"You know, Carter, I've got to ask. What the hell are we looking for, really?" Jack asked. Unsure how to answer she hesitated,

"Well, Sir..."

"O'Neill, there appears to be a habitat of sorts over there." Teal'c motioned far over the sand dunes as the rest of the team strained to see. Sam pulled out her high tech binoculars and unknowingly whispered,

"There are two of them."

Jack frowned and squinted,

"Well, Teal'c and I better secure the area. Guys," he looked at Daniel and Sam, "congratulations, you finally get to do your little science/diplomatic act."

Daniel watched as Sam gave Jack a quick uneasy glance,

"Sir, there's no need to be contemptuous. As long asyoudon't get us in trouble, we'll be OK."

Daniel couldn't help but laugh. Jack indeed had a tendency to incite hostilities on alien worlds. Fighting the urge to talk back to the Captain, Jack hung his arm around Teal'c,

"Well, old boy, we should go over there before I start a war right here."

"Why here O'Neill?" Teal'c asked as innocently as a curious child would. Jack groaned, strapping in for another one of those long and pointless conversations. Daniel turned to Sam, who greeted him with a zealous smile. He could see how excited she was, so he adjusted his equipment and headed toward the sandy dwellings.

"Greetings, my friends. What can I do for you?" a man asked, startling both Sam and Daniel. Both turned around to a smiling face of an elderly gentleman who held a little boy by the hand. Daniel blinked and said,

"Hello, we'd like to speak to someone about vatr'e."

The old man answered, an enormous smirk on his face,

"So you are the brother with the lost stone?"

Daniel looked at Sam and she looked back, equally perplexed. Daniel decided to nod, acknowledging possession of the gem. The older man looked at Sam and Daniel thoughtfully,

"You look like you could have use for the vatr'e. Come, we will help." He added gesturing to the huts near them. Slightly confused, Sam followed, paying attention to the child that clung playfully to their guide. The child stared fondly at Sam, and Sam smiled in return. Daniel looked around to see if he could spot Teal'c and Jack, but determined they could take care of themselves. He walked close to Sam and used the silence to observe the habitants that suddenly bestowed on them their undivided attention. He found it strange that everyone was paying such close attention to Sam and him. 'Sort of like they were relishing in a ritual of some kind,'he thought. The old man turned and let go of the child, as he looked Sam over from head to toe, and then disappeared in one of the huts. Daniel looked at Sam and then at the child, whose eyes were still fixed on Sam intently.

"Where did the man go?" Daniel asked, but the child did not respond. Sam sighed happily,

"I don't know. And as long as he doesn't reappear with a dress for me to wear, I'm happy."

Daniel thought about that a moment. The people they visited on other planets liked to dress her up, probably thinking her beauty shouldn't be covered by dark and heavy fatigues, and Daniel had to agree. He blushed and looked up to see the child's gaze was now fixed on him. The child -a boy, perhaps?- ran up to Sam, grabbed her hand and pulled her into a hut. She seemed to go willingly and even let out a cute little laugh. Daniel shrugged and waited a short moment before the old man reappeared.

"The Glav'na will see you now." He chirped and directed Daniel toward what seemed like a small town square. Daniel walked slowly, unsure but eager to find out more about the mysterious gems. He was showed where to sit. He waited until a woman emerged, and set next to him. She resembled the woman they encountered earlier, but Daniel could not be sure. She looked him in the eyes and spoke,

"Is the vatr'e to your satisfaction, friend?"

Daniel looked deeper into her eyes and saw secluded secrets and valorous pain flowing through them. He wondered for a moment what had happened to this woman to make her so unhappy.

"I'm sorry, I don't really know what the vatr'e does." Daniel spoke, "that's why we are here." He added. Glav'na raised her eyebrows and whispered something to the man standing next to her.

"You must forgive me, my friend, it has slipped my mind, that your du'sa was here." Seeing the confused look on Daniel's face, she added,

"Why have you not brought her out?" she inquired, half to Daniel, half to the people around them. The old man who brought Daniel here walked abruptly away in the direction of the hut where Sam stayed.

"I still do not comprehend..." Daniel said. The woman fumbled with her silk scarf, and Daniel thought she felt uncomfortable with his question, but proceeded anyway.

Sam watched the child as she sat on the bed.

"You found the vatr'e?" the child asked, plunging to the floor. Sam nodded her head.

"Whom did you give it to?" the child asked again, smiling. Sam frowned trying to decipher the question,

"What do you mean?"

"Whom did you give to?" the child got up and looked through the small window. "The man you came here with?"

Sam stood up to look at the window, as well. She could see a small circle of people surrounding Daniel who looked like he was struggling to explain something.

"Him," the child pointed at Daniel. "He doesn't know, does he?"

Sam was startled by the question. A million thoughts went rippling through her head.'Doesn't know what? What was I supposed to tell him? What did the child call him?'A loud blare filled the silence. It took her a moment or two to collect herself, and then she ran outside. The child was next to her,

"Your friends." It was a statement. She held her breath until she saw Daniel run up to her,

"I have a feeling that was Jack." He said.

She nodded in agreement and ran to where to sound seemed to originate.

"Jack!" Daniel shouted to a very exasperated Colonel. Teal'c gave them a sinless look. Sam sighed,

"Sir, would you care to explain why you are knee-deep in...um, camel dung?"
Both Teal'c and Daniel suppressed a snicker as Jack looked at Teal'c.

"Perhaps I should clarify," Teal'c coughed, "Colonel O'Neill was trying to settle a bet that involved exploring this pit..." He was interrupted,

"Yeah, well, that's all nice and well people, but I'm in dire need of assistance here." Jack squirmed. Two of the natives helped him out smiling as Jack cussed.

"What was that noise, Teal'c?" Daniel asked. Teal'c motioned to Jack's weapon lying stagnantly near a water stall. Neither of them needed to proceed with the conversation. Sam looked around to see where the woman Daniel was talking to was.

She rejoined the small group of onlookers.

"Daniel," Sam nudged him, "did you find out anything?"

Daniel turned to her, uncertain of how to explain what he had learned,

"Well Sam, you know how you said that the idea of marriage does not repulse you?" Sam's eyes narrowed. "Well," he continued, "Congratulations, you are now married."

Sam winced as Jack started laughing hysterically patting both Teal'c and a native man on the back.

"To whom?" Jack managed to ask in between his laugh attacks.

"Well, apparently to me, Jack." Jack suddenly stopped laughing, but Teal'c felt a wave of inappropriate grins approaching.

"So, let me get this straight," Hammond leaned on the table amused, "I send you out there to try and seek an alliance or trade, and you come back married?"

Half of SG-1 stared at the oak table abashed while the other half watched the recent newlyweds squirm.

"Well, Sir, it's a little more complicated than that." Sam spoke. Hammond looked at her. He was grinning. He found the idea of the two scientists married unusually amusing. They already explained the story to him twice, but he wanted to see them blush and fidget at least once more.

"So, I presume the natives explained the divorce procedure to you...or is that not your preference?" Hammond chirped. Truth be told, he wished things like these happened more often - it would sure make the debriefing a hell of a lot more entertaining.

"Well, Sir, they did feel terrible about all the confusion, and promised to check their books on our particular situation." Sam said. Daniel added,

"Yes, they were very helpful. It seems that because we were unaware of their culture and traditions we might not be susceptible to the same rules."

Hammond waved his hand announcing that the debriefing was finally over. As the team was leaving he muttered just loud enough for Sam and Daniel to hear,

"Well, does that mean I won't have to remodel your rooms?"

Sam mentally giggled and exited the room.

'That might not be such a bad idea. My quartersarea little cramped.' She joked with herself. She wanted to go see Janet, but decided against it remembering how hard Janet laughed at her when she announced the news. She sighed and resolved to retreat to her quarters and finish the paperwork. She closed her eyes and shook her head slightly. There wastoomuch paperwork. She was never going to able to put all that happened on paper and succeed in making it sound standard. She would have loved to confide in her diary instead of a military form.

'Diary Sam?'

She fought the little voice grinning inside her. She sat down at her table and tried to write.

Vatr'e is the equivalent of Earth's wedding bands. The locals believe the red stones carry the essence of a couple's souls forever and it is unfavorable to lose the Amulet. Upon losing the stone, one's soul is separated from the partner in marriage and brings bad luck to the isolated owner. The natives calculated the tradition started nearly 5 thousand years ago when the first gate travelers visited. Apparently, the visitors were followers of Asklepios also referred to as Imhotep Khaba - the God of medicine and wisdom. The visitors decided to settle on the newly discovered planet, establishing a society similar to the one they left behind. As the years passed, myths expanded linking Asklepios with numerous love goddesses creating the current marriage theory.

Now it was time to explain the personal part,

Upon my discovery of the gem, Daniel Jackson was the next to examine it, therefore unknowingly linking us in

"Um," she coughed aloud,

Marriage.

She finished the report. Sam rubbed her forehead and was about to leave when a restrained knocking reached her chaotic mind.

"Come in."

She was not surprised to see Daniel standing there with a rueful expression on his adorable face.

'Adorable?What am I doing?'she chastised herself.

"Uh, Sam, are you busy?" he asked looking at her intently with his radiant blue eyes. Sam did not feel safe answering him with words so she just shook her head no.

"Well, I thought we could talk about..." she looked up at him as he spoke the last two words, "our marriage."

It felt like a firm hand was tugging at her heart, but she managed to whisper,

"What about it, Daniel?"

He stepped closer. His close proximity weakened her tremendously and she dropped her report; the pages landing softly on the flat floor. They both started to reach for the fleeing papers until their heads collided in a clumsy movement.

"Uh, sorry..." Daniel tried to apologize as he lifted his head. He felt Sam's sweet breath on his lips as the previous mishap brought their lips within a millimeter of each other. Sam was about to say something like 'That's okay,' but Daniel's lips brushed slightly over hers. So tenderly and so gently that it felt like a supple breeze.

'Oh my God, he's kissing me.' Sam thought and unconsciously tangled her graceful fingers in Daniel's soft, abundant hair. Daniel was shocked when he kissed Sam, but nothing could compare to the shock he felt when she responded by sliding her nails up and down his neck. With increasing confidence, Daniel deepened the kiss, exploring her mouth with compassion and gentleness Sam never experienced. He cupped her face drawing her in for an even deeper kiss and his cool touch sent shivers down her spine. Daniel broke the kiss shortly but only to move his lips to her warm neck. He left a trail of passionate kisses down her delicate neck, and Sam's lower lip trembled in anticipation.

'What am I doing?' Daniel suddenly had a million thoughts running through his head. Sam was obviously ready and willing and he couldn't figure out how that happened.

"Sam," he wanted to sound controlled but her name came out a lustful moan. She arched her head back. He tried again, this time sounding more level headed.

"Sam...we need to talk."

Talking was the last thing on her mind right now. She abruptly opened her passionate blue eyes, alarmed,

How did he do this to me? How did he make me lose control like this? With only one kiss?

"Sam," Daniel stood up and offered her a hand to help her get up. She uncertainly accepted the hand that just a moment ago rested on her cheek. Now that she was a safe distance from him, Sam could think clearly,

"Daniel, I'm sorry..."

Daniel glanced at her completely bewildered.

'Why wassheapologizing? I initiated the kiss,' he thought. 'Yes, but sheresponded.'A little voice sang.

It took him a minute to sort out what happened. He remembered Sam's eyes. He glanced at her now and she still had the same loving look in her eyes.

"Daniel," she moved closer to him. He gasped as she brushed her beautiful lips against his whispering,

"I want you..." his heart almost stopped. Here was the woman of his dreams exclaiming she wanted him and he was just standing there like a frightened child. He opened his mouth to speak, but Sam lightly pressed a finger to his lips as she gently pushed him against the wall. Sam kissed him and he felt her lips curving in a pleased smile. He felt her warm lips moving away from his and moving down his neck, her hands exploring his chest. Daniel let out a breath he didn't even know he held. He could feel her lean against him,

"Sam," he whispered, slightly pushing her away. She looked up, desire in her dark blue eyes. She knew what he was about to say.

'This isn't going to work.' She expected him to say. Sam did not want Daniel to speak. Somehow, speaking always got them hurt.

"Sam, I have to say this. If I don't...I might go crazy...Sam," he gazed stubbornly in her eyes, "I love you."

Sam expected him to say anything but that. She stood there, mere inches from his warm body, a thousand emotions fighting for domination in her heart. Finally, one feeling prevailed - joy.

She kissed him happily as he froze under her touch.

'Don't understand, do you Daniel?' an annoying voice inside him inquired. It took him a moment to register Sam's soft murmuring,

"I love you, too."

Emotions filled him: excitement, indescribable joy and love, but as he looked at her one could clearly be read in his eyes - desire.

She watched him pull up his fatigues. She didn't like the feeling of his warm body away from hers.

"Where are you going?" she half moaned. He bent to kiss her lips as he proudly whispered,

"To tell Hammond to start remodeling."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sandra