Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

When The Bough Breaks

by Samantha
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
When The Bough Breaks

When The Bough Breaks

by Samantha

Title: When The Bough Breaks
Author: Samantha
Email: Gater_Sam@hotmail.com
Category: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Season: any Season
Pairing: Daniel/Janet, Sam/Jack
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: none
Summary: One drunken night changes things forever.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

Sam woke up with a pounding headache. Rolling over onto her back she stared at the ceiling for a moment before realizing that someone was breathing beside her. Turning her head slowly she came face to face with a sleeping Jack. Sam practically leapt out of the bed, pulling on a robe as she fled to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind her. She leant her head against the cool surface of the mirror, trying to ease her hangover and remember what had happened the night before. She couldn't even remember having a drink.

After giving herself time to calm down Sam headed back to the bedroom to retrieve some clothes. When she entered the room the first place she looked was the now empty bed. Sam looked for Jack around the rest of the house before noticing that the front door was unlocked. He must have made a quick getaway while she was in the bathroom, Sam reasoned. She would have been mad at him except for knowing that she would have done the same thing if she had woken up at Jack's with no memory of the night before. Unless he did remember and that was why he had left, she thought, dreading the impending confrontation on Monday morning.

A week later Sam, Jack, Daniel, Janet and Teal'c were sat in Janet's back yard having a barbecue. It was Cassie's birthday but the 15 year old was nowhere to be found.

'I'm so sorry,' Janet apologized. 'She promised me she would be here.'

'It's ok, Janet, we'll just have her birthday party without her,' Jack replied. He was trying to act normal. As if nothing was wrong. The truth was he had never been more uncomfortable. He couldn't remember what had happened that night. All he knew was that he had woken up in Sam's bed. She hadn't even been there though. A part of Jack hoped that he had crashed out and she had taken the spare room to avoid waking him. Another part of him was desperate for the memories of that night. Desperate for the memories of what might have been. He knew that he should talk to her about it. Find out what really happened. It just never seemed like the right time.

Sam looked over at Jack for just a moment, hiding the smile that threatened to reveal her amusement. She was mad at him. Just a little but it was enough. He hadn't tried to talk to her about the night at her house and every time she tried to steer the conversation towards it he brushed her off. She sighed audibly, picked up a beer and hissed the cap off.

'Are you ok?' Janet asked, having heard Sam's sigh.

Sam put her beer down on the table and pulled a face. 'That tastes really weird.'

Daniel picked up the bottle, took a swig and placed it back where Sam had left it. 'Ugh,' Daniel screwed his face up.

'See?' Sam asked.

'No,' Daniel told her, 'It tastes normal, I just really can't stand the stuff.'

Jack and Janet both laughed whilst drinking their own beer.

'Sorry I'm late,' Cassie shouted from the window, emerging a few moments later with a glass of lemonade. She shared kisses with the five adults before seating herself in front of a pile of presents.

***1 month later***

'Excuse me, Sir,' Sam hurriedly said before running from the briefing room. The four men seated around the table continued to stare at the doorway through which she had disappeared.

Sam returned five minutes later, looking a little embarrassed as she entered the silent room with all eyes on her. She had been nauseous on and off for the last few days and it didn't seem to be getting any better. All Sam could think about was the bright blue sludge that the natives of P4C 979 had fed them. Daniel had insisted that it was fine, now Sam was having second thoughts.

'Sorry, Sir. It must be something I ate,' She apologized.

'Maybe you should see Doctor Fraiser,' General Hammond suggested.

'No, Sir, I'm fine, really.'

The briefing took much longer than usual with everybody glancing at Sam every few minutes. When they had been dismissed SG1 headed to the commissary for lunch.

'Hey Daniel, I don't suppose you have any of those bacon things left do you?' Sam asked. Daniel tossed her a packet that he had in his pocket. Sam proceeded to dip the bacon-flavored potato chips in honey before eating them.

'No wonder your not feeling well,' Jack said.

'That's really disgusting,' Daniel informed her.

'I know,' Sam assured them, 'but it tastes surprisingly good.'

Daniel and Jack both made a face as they watched her. Teal'c on the other hand helped himself to the same concoction before passing judgment.

'Do you agree with her?' Jack asked him.

'No. In fact O'Neill,' He let them know, 'it tastes much worse than one would imagine.'

**** 1 month later ****

'It's SG1, Sir,' the technician informed General Hammond regarding the unscheduled incoming wormhole.

'Open the iris,' Hammond ordered before calling a medical team to be on alert. He always worried when a team returned early. Especially when it was SG1. This was no exception, the moment that the wormhole had engaged he had got a bad feeling, one that he had leant to trust in all his years in the military. Something had gone very wrong and things were going to change.

Daniel limped through the gate first leaning heavily on Teal'c to take the weight off his injured ankle, Teal'c held one arm against his chest, indicating a break. No sooner where they onto the ramp and Janet Fraiser had the medical staff taking them down to the infirmary. Next through the gate came Jack, his face was grazed and there appeared to be a gash in his leg. Deciding that he would probably live Janet's attention turned instead to the limp figure in his arms. An unconscious Sam.

30 minutes later Sam woke up in the infirmary, her head hurt and there was a slight pain in her stomach. The first face she saw was Janet's, only just coming into focus before the doctor spoke.

'How are you feeling?

'I'm Ok.'

'Headache?'

'A little.'

'Anything else?'

'Nope,' Sam lied, reasoning that the stomach pain was barely noticeable and she wanted to get out of the infirmary ASAP.

Janet could tell that Sam was eager to leave. She was used to it with Jack and Teal'c. Daniel was usually in such bad shape that he couldn't leave anyway. Sam was the one who usually sat around for a while after her checkup so that they could chat. Just the fact that she was hurrying to leave gave Janet a bad feeling.

'Do you think you can walk?'

'Yes, can I get out of here?'

'Only if you promise that you'll come back if you feel at all unwell, and I want someone with you encase you have a concussion.'

'Ok,' Sam replied not willing to give Janet a reason to keep her in. 'I have a friend coming over tonight so I'll let her know that she has to keep an eye on me.' Sam laughed a little which made Janet relax.

'Just don't overdo it and I don't want you driving.'

Sam let out a frustrated sigh before relenting and letting an airman drive her home.

Sitting alone on her couch that evening, Sam wondered why she had lied to Janet about having a friend over. At least if she had told the truth then she could have got Daniel to come over. She would have phoned him, but then Janet would have known that she had lied, which would not go down well.

Sam decided on an early night. It was about 2130 when she got to sleep, only to be woken at 2300 by a stabbing pain in her stomach. Sam tried turning over and forgetting about the pain but it intensified. Sam began to get dizzy from the pain and so tried to get out of bed and go to the bathroom for some painkillers, it was only when she pulled back the quilt that she saw the blood and panicked. Sam picked up the phone and dialed Janet's number, the answer phone picked up and Sam left a desperate message hoping that Janet would get home soon before calling Daniel. Leaving the same message on his machine she wondered what to do, usually she wouldn't have hesitated at calling Jack but they still hadn't talked about that night at her house, it had been two months and neither of them had made a move to resolve the situation. Another wave of pain forced Sam to swallow her pride and she dialed Jack's number. A small click gave way to Jack's cheery, pre-recorded voice,

'Dammit, Colonel, pick up the phone,' Sam shouted into the receiver before groaning in pain and managing to say no more than, 'It hurts,' and even this was only a whisper. Then another click came, followed by a sleepy voice.

'Carter, that you?'

'It hurts, so bad,' Sam managed to say.

'What does?' The only answer Jack received was another moan.

Hanging up the phone, Jack grabbed his keys and a shirt and sped over to Sam's house.

The front door was unlocked but all the lights were out when Jack arrived. He was panicking. He knew that Sam wouldn't call him and risk looking helpless unless something was very wrong. Running around the house Jack checked every room before finding Sam keeled over in her bedroom.

'Carter, you with me?' Silence...

'Come on Carter, talk to me.'

'Sir? That you?' a semiconscious voice asked.

'You bet, I'm gonna take you to see Janet.'

'She's not home, I tried to ph...ph...call her. Cassie...must be...sleeping, nobody answered...and Daniel's out...do...you...think...they're...on a...date? Not Cassie...I don't mean...Cassie...I mean Janet...and Daniel.'

'They're working late, that's right keep talking, stay with me,' Jack replied. It was then that he noticed the blood and realized how much she must have lost. Jack scooped Sam into his arms and hurriedly drove to the mountain, calling ahead to inform Janet of what to expect.

Jack wasn't sure how long they were sat outside the OR before Janet finally emerged with news.

'She lost a lot of blood, but she's stable,' Janet informed the three waiting men.

'What happened?' Daniel asked, concern still in his voice.

'You can go in and see her but she'll probably sleep until the late morning,' Janet replied, tactfully avoiding answering Daniel's question.

At 1003 Sam's eyes fluttered open, taking in the scene around her she saw all three of her team members watching her anxiously and Janet was standing close by with a clip board.

'How do you feel?' Daniel asked. Sam could hear the concern in his voice, mixed with a little pain, which she put down to whatever required him to have a pair of crutches beside him.

'I'm good,' Sam managed to whisper in reply. There was no pain this time. Whatever drugs Janet had pumped into her system seemed to be doing their job, all Sam could feel was the pleasant tingle of numbness.

'Ok guys, out,' Janet ordered, intending to talk to Sam about the surgery, all three faces turned towards her with a look of disbelief.

'You have to be kidding, she just woke up,' Daniel protested.

'You can come back later,' Janet reassured him.

'They don't have to leave,' Sam interjected, clearing her throat and beginning to look around for some water.

'Yes they do,' Janet argued. 'Now move it, that's an order.' Jack was about to reply by pulling rank with her but the look on Janet's face reminded him that she outranked him in this case and that it would be more than his life was worth, so the three men stood to leave.

'We'll be right outside,' Daniel said to Sam before placing a kiss on her forehead.

Teal'c bowed his head and then also leant down and kissed Sam's forehead.

Sam smiled as she watched them leave. Jack hung behind a moment unsure what to do but not wanting to be the odd one out. He placed a feather light kiss on Sam's cheek.

'Take it easy, Carter,' Jack said, and then he left.

'So what happened?' Sam asked.

'You perforated your spleen and we had to remove it. The good news is you should be up and about be the end of the week.'

'And the bad news?'

'Sam...were you aware that you were pregnant?'

Something in Janet's voice made Sam panic. 'No...that's not possible'

'About two months gone,' was Janet's reply.

Sam just sat shaking her head for a moment. 'I can't...I haven't...Oh my God.'

'Sam...' Janet waited until she had Sam's full attention again. 'I'm afraid you miscarried, that's what caused most of the bleeding.'

Sam was still shaking her head as the news sunk in. 'I'm sorry, Sam.'

Janet looked about set to cry, which made Sam feel even worse; Janet hugged Sam tightly for a minute as Sam futilely fought tears. Janet pulled away and looked into Sam's eyes.

'The guys are going to want to come back in.'

'Let them, but please don't tell them about this, not yet.'

'Ok.' Janet left the room slowly and allowed the three impatient men back into the room.

'So what happened?' Jack asked.

'Perforated spleen,' Sam replied trying to mask her emotion.

'Ouch,' Jack flinched a little at the thought. 'That was one hell of a lot of blood.'

Sam couldn't help but smile at Jack's tone of voice. Tears began rolling down Sam's cheeks again, although she was unsure whether she was crying again or still crying from the first time.

'Sam?' Daniel's concern was evident.

'I'm ok. It's just the medication and stuff,' Sam sobbed.

All three men moved a little closer, Daniel hugged her, Jack placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and Teal'c laid a hand on top of one of hers. Even as the tears came with increased force Sam knew that with the comfort of her friends everything would be ok.

She had been wrong, very wrong. Everything wasn't going to be all right. She knew that now. SG1 had one more week down time before they had to get back to work and Sam knew she wasn't ready, wouldn't ever be ready. That was why she made the decision. She had handed in her resignation that morning. Hammond had tried to talk her out of it but her mind was made up. Sam had made the General promise not to mention it to her team, assuring him that she would talk to them properly at some point that week. Sam had already packed up her lab and her quarters and had put the boxes into her car. She had waved a cheery goodbye to her team, none of them realizing how final the goodbye was, now only one thing remained to be done.

'Janet?'

'Hey Sam, how you doing?'

'I'm fine, I'm just heading out.'

'Ok, make sure you take it easy. Come in for your post op exam on Monday morning. Make sure there are no complications.'

'I will. Give Cassie my love.'

'I thought you were coming round for ice cream and a movie later in the week.'

'I made plans to visit some old friends, sorry.'

'That's Ok, we'll catch up another time.'

Sam walked over and hugged Janet. 'Thank you.'

'What for?'

'For everything you've done.'

Janet gave Sam a strange look but got no response.

'See you around,' Janet called casually as Sam started to leave the room.

'Goodbye Janet.' Janet didn't seem to hear the sadness and hesitation in Sam's voice and just turned back to her work as Sam left the mountain for the last time.

'I'm glad to see you are all here,' General Hammond addressed the remaining three members of SG1 on Monday morning, 'I would like to start by...'

'Sir, shouldn't we wait for Sam?' Daniel interrupted.

'What do you mean, son?'

'I'm sure she won't be long, She's probably with Janet, we shouldn't start without her.'

'Did Major Carter not inform you all of her actions last week?'

'What actions?' Jack interjected.

'Major Carter resigned last week, she told me that she would tell you all during your downtime.'

'We haven't seen Sam since last Sunday, Sir,' Daniel informed the General.

Jack was on his feet instantly, walking toward the door.

'Colonel, where do you think you're going?'

'To drag Carter's ass back to the mountain, Sir, with your permission of course.'

Jack didn't give Hammond the chance to respond in any way before he was out the door and heading toward the elevator.

'Is Sam there please.' Jack was standing on Sam's porch looking into the face of a woman he had never seen before; she looked confused.

'Sam Carter, is she home?' he repeated more urgently.

'I'm sorry, Miss Carter moved at the beginning of the week.'

'And you've already moved in?' Jack asked in disbelief.

'We have been looking for a place for ages, this came on the market, the owner was in a hurry to sell so we snapped it up.' The woman seemed eager to inform Jack of all the details and continued to speak with an irritating smile plastered on her face.

'Did she leave a forwarding address?'

'No, I'm afraid not.' The woman said goodbye and closed the door.

Jack felt deflated. How could she leave? She didn't even say goodbye.

***San Diego***

'One low fat Latté please,' Sam asked at the counter of the small coffee shop near her new work place. It was 0800 and Sam was heading in to her first day teaching at the university near her new home.

'First day?' The elderly man serving her asked with a knowing smile.

'Start a job at the university today.'

'Which department?'

'Physics.'

'Ah. I see. Took that Astrophysics position did you?'

'How did you know...'

'My daughter works there,' he answered as he mixed the Latté. 'Archaeology, her name's Sophie Sheridan, you should look her up.'

'I will, thank you.' Sam smiled and paid for her drink.

'Chuck Rivers.' The man introduced himself.

'Samantha Carter,' she responded shaking his hand before leaving and walking the two blocks to the university.

'I am so sorry.' A smiling brunette about Sam's age apologized. Sam bent down to help the woman pick up all her books. 'You look a bit harried,' she told Sam.

'I'm completely lost,' Sam admitted.

'Where you heading?'

'Physics.'

'Follow me.' She indicated towards a passageway that Sam knew she wouldn't have even seen without help. 'Sophie Sheridan. Nice to meet you.'

'Samantha Carter...I think I just met your Father.'

'You must be mistaken. He lives in Miami.'

'Oh. Sorry. I was sure he said Sophie Sheridan.'

'Chuck? From the coffee shop?' Sophie asked with realization evident in her voice.

'Yes?'

'He's a little crazy. Perfectly harmless, just a little nuts. Next person he talks to, he'll be telling them that you're his daughter.'

'Oh God, I'm so embarrassed.' Sam put a hand over her face.

'Don't be.' Sophie walked a few more paces then stopped. 'Here we are. They hid it pretty well huh? You'll soon figure it all out. This place isn't that big once you've been here a few weeks.'

'Thank you so much.' Sam smiled, still a little unsure.

'Do you want me to meet you for lunch? We may be shunned for mixing departments but I remember my first day in this place and it wasn't pleasant.'

'That would be great.' Sam sighed with relief.

'I'll meet you right here then. That way you don't have to get lost. Good luck.' Sophie hurried off towards the area of campus where she was supposed to be teaching. Leaving Sam standing nervously outside her classroom door.



**** 2 months later ****

Sam rinsed out her mouth with peppermint mouthwash trying to rid herself of the taste of her barely digested breakfast that had made a re-appearance. She stood in front of the mirror in the master bedroom of her two-bedroom San Diego apartment. She had been living there for two months now, working as a professor at the local

University.

Pulling on her below the knee blue skirt Sam realized how much trouble she was having doing up the zipper. Taking a deep breath she forced it closed, grabbed her jacket and keys and hurried to work, silently promising herself that she would start losing some weight.

Sam ran into her classroom to find only six students present, looking at the clock she realized that she was 15 minutes early. Sam seated herself on her desk and greeted her students.

'How was your weekend?'

'Great,' Peter Lewis replied. 'We had a frat party at Omega Lambda Zeta on Friday night.'

'And one at Sigma Alpha Gamma on Saturday,' Amy James added.

'So I'll know why nobody hands in their assignments today then,' Sam said with a smile.

'Why did you move here, Professor?' Peter asked out of the blue.

'I'm on the run,' Sam told him managing to keep a straight face.

'From what?' A girl called Emma asked in awe.

'Court martial.'

'You were in the military?'

'Yep, air force.'

'What they want to court martial you for?' David inquired eagerly.

'That's what DO they want to court martial you for,' Sam corrected

'OK. What DO they want to court martial you for?' He repeated.

'Fraternization,' Sam lied, wishing that the truth wasn't quite so close to the mark.

'Really?' One of the guys asked, looking at Sam in amazement.

'No,' was her simple reply. Peter laughed at how easily the others had been drawn into Sam's tale.

'Why did you leave really?' he pressed.

'Don't tell us you didn't do nothin',' another of the boys piped in.

'That's a double negative,' Sam informed him.

'So?' He asked.

'So, You just told me not to tell you that I did something.'

'Oh, come on. You know that's not what I meant,' he argued.

'Well if that's not what you meant then it's just bad grammar. Either way you don't get an answer.'

The bell rang and the room began to fill up with the less enthusiastic students in her class. Sam moved towards the board and sighed with relief. Sure they were her favourite students, but there are some things that you don't want them to know.

About half way through her lecture Sam felt a sharp pain in he stomach, taking a deep breath and gritting her teeth Sam tried not to cry out.

'Professor are you ok?' Peter asked, concerned by her sudden silence.

'Fine,' was all Sam could reply before another wave hit her. It settled down after that and Sam was able to finish her lecture. At the end of the hour six worried faces looked back at Sam from the now virtually empty room.

'You can go now, class is over,' Sam informed them with a smile

'Are you sure you are ok?'

'Fine, now go or you'll all miss your next class.' Sam's six best students filed out of the room, leaving Sam alone. She grabbed her keys and headed toward the car park.

Sam had been sitting in the waiting room for half an hour before the doctor could finally see her.

'How are you Miss Carter?'

'Would I be here if I was fine?'

'Of course not, what seems to be the problem?'

'I've been having stomach cramps all morning and waves of nausea on and off for the last few weeks.'

'And are you due on your period?'

'Umm... I'm not sure, it's been a while.'

'Have you been under any stress recently?'

'I just moved house.'

'And have you had any medical problems in the past few months?' The doctor was busily scribbling notes on a sheet.

'No I don't think...' Sam's mind traced back the last 2 months before slamming into the brick wall that had changed her life. 'Yes, actually I had a miscarriage two months ago and I had my spleen removed.'

'Were there any problems following that?'

'I don't think so, I never really had any follow up tests.'

'I see, well, why don't we run some blood tests and I'll do an ultrasound to make sure that there aren't any obvious problems.'

Ten minutes later Sam was laid on the bed, the doctor moving the ultrasound over her exposed stomach, after a few moments hesitation the doctor turned the screen to face Sam, pointing to an area of movement in the darkness she said, 'See there, that is a heartbeat. Congratulations Samantha, you're going to be a Mom.'

Sam stared at the screen in utter confusion. 'How?'

'You must have been carrying twins when the miscarriage occurred.'

'Is it ok?'

'Junior looks fine. A healthy 18 week pregnancy.' Sam couldn't stop a huge smile spreading across her face. 'You see the line there, that is Junior's spine.'

'Wow.' Sam eyes turned from the screen to the doctor. 'Do you think we could not call it Junior?'

'I'm sorry, it is just a good way for me to ensure that I don't refer to the baby as he or she. Unless you would like to know the sex.'

'No, thank you. And it's ok, it's just that an old friend used to use the term 'Junior' about something else, it's a little weird.'

'Of course,' the doctor replied although she seemed indifferent. 'Would you like a picture of the ultrasound?'

'Yes please.'

'Ok, I'll have one printed.' She handed Sam a paper towel.

'If you'd like to get cleaned up and make another appointment for two weeks.'

Sam stuck the picture on the fridge as soon as she got home, having phoned the university to get someone to cover the afternoon; she sank onto the couch, still smiling. The doorbell rang but before Sam could get up to answer it the door opened and Sophie's head looked in.

'Hey Sam, you ok? They said you took the afternoon sick.'

'I'm fine, I just got back from the doctor.'

'And?'

'I'm pregnant.'

Sophie sat looking shocked for a moment before breaking into a huge smile.

'Sam that's great, oh wow, that is great right?'

'Yes it's great.' Sam was smiling again now

Sophie had been the first person that Sam had met in San Diego. They had bonded immediately. Sophie worked in the archaeology wing of the university, she reminded Sam so much of Daniel that she couldn't help but like her. They had soon become best friends. Sophie had a husband called David and two sons, Luke and Josh. Sam knew she could count on Sophie to go baby shopping and decorate with her. It was going to be great.

**** 2 months later ****

Sam walked into her classroom 15 minutes early again, every morning she hurried, convinced that she was late and every morning she was early. Sam was six months pregnant now and had had to resort to maternity skirts in order to get anything to fit.

20 minutes into class Sam was writing equations on the board when she heard the door open. 'You're late.'

'Sorry.'

'Don't be sorry, be on time.'

The only answer Sam received was the scrape on chair legs on the floor as the latecomer seated himself.

'You have five minutes to complete the first three equations and then you can give me the solutions.'

'I'm not actually very good at physics.'

Sam froze. She would recognize that voice anywhere. She turned round and smiled at her friend. The shock registered on Daniel's face reminded her that there was something she had forgotten to let her friends know about. Sam didn't say anything to him until her students had finished leaving the room after the lecture.

'Daniel, how are you?'

'I'm fine. Sam...your pregnant.'

'Yeah, I noticed that.' Sam smiled moving over to Daniel for a hug.

Daniel held Sam loosely, not really relaxing for a few moments, then he squeezed Sam tightly and sighed. 'We've missed you Sam.'

'I know, I'm sorry.'

'Why did you leave?'

'Can we talk about this at home.' It wasn't a question, Sam picked up her things. 'You're lucky that was my only class today.' They rode back to Sam's apartment in silence.

Back at Sam's apartment they both sat on the couch and Daniel asked again.

'Why did you leave? Was it because you were pregnant?'

'No.'

'Then why?'

'Because I thought I wasn't.'

'What?'

Sam thought for a moment before deciding to be blunt about it.

'I had a miscarriage, after our last mission, I didn't know what to do so I ran.'

'Away from your friends, away from everybody who cared about you.'

'It's not that simple.'

'Who's the father?'

'It doesn't matter.'

'Of course it matters!' Daniel was raising his voice by this point.

'He doesn't want to know.'

'You told him? About the baby?'

'No, but he made it quite clear that he wasn't interested.'

'Who is it?'

'It doesn't matter!' Sam's voice softened when she continued. 'It was a one night thing, we were both drunk, I don't even remember it. He left the next morning and that was that.'

'I'm sorry Sam.'

'Don't be, I can do this, I've never worried about being a single Mom.' Sam smiled at Daniel. 'I haven't even given him a second thought,' she lied.

'You live here alone?' Daniel changed the subject hoping to lighten the atmosphere.

'Yes. How long are you in town?'

'I don't know.'

'Where are you staying?'

'I hadn't really thought about it.'

'Good, you can stay here.'

'I don't want to put you out.'

'Are you kidding, Daniel. I'm a single, 35 yr old, pregnant astrophysics professor, I would appreciate the company.'

Daniel smiled. 'Well in that case, how can I say no. When is the baby due?'

'3 months.'

'Then I guess I'll stick around until then. If that's ok.'

'That's fine. How did you find me anyway?'

'Your brother.'

'He said he wouldn't tell anybody.'

'I pretended that I knew. I said, "Hey Mark I was wondering if you could give me Sam's new address. She gave it to me the other day, I'm supposed to catch a flight out there in half an hour but I must have lost it." He asked me why I didn't call and ask you and I said that you were out. He just gave it to me, no problems.'

Sam laughed. 'I'll kill him.'

Sam and Daniel spent the rest of the afternoon catching up on the last few months. At 4pm the doorbell went. 'That'll be Sophie, you are going to love her.'

Daniel's gaze followed Sam to the door.

'Word around campus is that a tall dark handsome stranger dropped in on your class this morning.' Daniel heard the disembodied voice in the hall; he stood up and went out to meet the guest.

Sophie caught sight of the man standing by the door and stepped past Sam to introduce her self. 'Hi, and you are?'

Sam couldn't believe how forward Sophie was being.

'A tall dark handsome stranger, apparently,' Daniel quipped.

Sophie blushed a little. 'How embarrassing, I'm sorry. Sophie Sheridan,' Sophie extended her hand.

'Daniel Jackson,' Daniel replied.

'It's good to meet you, I've heard so much about you. You're an archaeologist right?'

'Yes, I am.'

'Me too, I work at the university. We have a temporary opening, if your going to be in town for a while.'

Sam laughed. 'Sophie, give him a break, he's on vacation.'

'Sorry,' Sophie turned to Daniel. 'It's just one of our professors has four months paternity leave starting on Monday and we haven't been able to find a replacement. Apparently, San Diego isn't the place people go when they look for teaching jobs.'

Daniel nodded his head in understanding. 'I'd be happy to, after all, Sam will be working all day, I don't really want to be stuck in the apartment on my own.'

'Really? That would be so great. I'll tell the Dean. She's read your book, she'll be so pleased.' Sophie left, her excitement over Daniel's agreement was evident.

Sam and Daniel got back to their conversation.

***2 weeks later***

Sam pushed the front door closed with her foot, placed her briefcase on the floor and walked into the lounge. Daniel was sat on the couch with his feet up and a book in his lap. As Sam walked past him she bent down and kissed his cheek by way of a greeting before heading to the kitchen and returning with a coffee for each of them. She sat in the now vacated seat next to Daniel and put her feet up on the coffee table where his were also now positioned.

'What you reading?' Sam asked as she tried to peer over his shoulder.

Daniel shifted his position so that Sam could see the book as well.

'Baby names?' Sam asked with a laugh.

'I thought I'd help you get started,' he told her. 'How does Amy sound?'

'No.'

'What then?'

'I don't know, I thought perhaps Anna if it's a girl.'

'Or Anna-Something,' Daniel suggested making unnecessary hand gestures.

'Anna Sophia?'

'Sophie would be pleased.'

'That's what I thought. I'd feel a bit bad about Janet though.'

'Trust me, she would never forgive you if you called a baby Janet, she hates it.'

Sam laughed. 'What about a boy?'

'Jack Daniels,' Daniel joked.

Sam rolled her eyes.

'You could name him after your father,' Daniel suggested.

'I think one Jacob Carter is enough.' Sam told him. 'What was your Dad called?'

'Melburn.'

'I could call him Mel...unless you'd rather I didn't.' Sam made eye contact with Daniel.

'That would be nice.' A hint of sadness touched Daniel's voice. Sam wrapped her arms around him in a hug, before suddenly gasping.

'What?' Daniel asked worried.

'The baby kicked,' Sam said placing a hand on her stomach and feeling another one. Sam took hold of Daniel's hand and placed it where hers had been. The baby kicked again. Daniel smiled.

'You're having a baby, Sam,' he told her in a whisper.

'I know,' Sam replied also in a whisper. 'I can hardly believe it.'

Daniel kept looking at the door, willing Sam to arrive soon. They had a Anti Natal class that started in two minutes and she still hadn't arrived. A young woman walked in and took the seat next to Daniel.

'I'm not sure I vant to imagine vhy you came here alone,' she said with a smile. 'I'm Jama Farinelli. It's said Yama but spelt J-A-M-A. It's a German thing.'

She spoke with a heavy German accent.

'Nice to meet you, I'm Daniel Jackson,' he replied shaking her hand.

'So, are you here alone?' She inquired.

'I'm starting to think so.'

'Vife hasn't turned up huh?'

'She's just a friend, but no. What about you?'

'It's quite complicated. I'm not sure you vant to know.'

'Try me.'

'I'm 17,' She started. 'Ze father has gone to University in Oxford, zo he von't be around. Ve all decided it vas best if he moved on.'

'To England? That's one hell of a moving on.'

Jama laughed. 'My Mutter ist German, hence my name and my accent. Sei had to go on a business trip zis veek. My Step Vater vent into hospital zis morning vit appendicitis. My Vater and his boyfriend have gone on holiday to Cyprus for a month. One of the four of zem usually comes vit me but zey are all other vise engaged.'

'Three Dads huh? Must make Father's day expensive,' Daniel joked.

'Yes, it does. But zey have all been around for as long as I can remember, zo...it's just normal really.'

'Well, seeing as I've been stood up and you've been abandoned, how about you stop me looking stupid by letting me help you,' Daniel suggested with a smile.

'Zank you. Zat vould make me feel less stupid also.'

'Have you lived in America long?' Daniel asked, trying to make conversation whilst they sat in a rather undesirable position on the floor.

'All my life,' she replied. 'My Mutter and My Vater, I mean my Vater's boyfriend, are German, zo I have ze accent. I don't really know vhy. My Biological Vater is Italiano, vhich is vhere my Last name comes from. And my Step Vater is American.'

The rest of the session past in a confusion of questions and more very undesirable sitting positions which Daniel was expected to relay to Sam before their next lesson.

'Sam? You home?' Daniel shouted as he walked through the door.

Sam walked out into the hall. She was still wearing her coat and shoes.

'Sorry, Daniel. I only just got in myself.'

'You missed one hell of a class,' Daniel told her sarcastically. 'Although I did meet a girl with a family almost as complicated as ours.'

Sam smiled. 'You had a good time then?'

'A blast. But you know, if you never come to any of these classes then you'll never work out a birth plan.'

'I have a birth plan, Daniel. I will be in hospital, with lots of Doctors, lots of drugs and as little pain as possible.'

'It's better for the baby if you don't use drugs.'

'Have you been watching those maternity programs on TV again?' Sam laughed.

'I read it,' he defended himself.

'I've done pain. I've done a lot of different types of pain. I've been tortured by lots of different aliens. I refuse to be tortured by my child before it's even born.'

'She's gonna hurt you even if you have drugs.'

'It'll hurt less,' Sam insisted.

'She's going to be very stubborn if she's anything like her Mom,' Daniel told Sam.

'What makes you so sure it's a she.'

'Instinct,' Daniel replied before heading to the kitchen for a coffee.

**** 2 and a half months later ****

'Daniel!' Sam called as she walked into his bedroom. Daniel didn't stir. 'Daniel!' Sam shouted louder.

'Yeah, what?' Daniel sat up and opened his eyes a little.

'Daniel, my water just broke.'

'I'll get you another one,' Daniel told her through a yawn.

'I mean I'm having this baby, Daniel.'

Daniel opened his eyes fully. 'Oh, I see, ok, I'll get dressed and we can go to the hospital.'

'Thanks,' Sam replied sarcastically as another contraction began, Sam cried out and gripped the bedpost. 'Aren't you supposed to freak out and start racing around, panicking or something?'

'No Sam, that's the father's job and he's not here. How close together are the contractions?'

'I don't know, a few minutes.' The contraction stopped and Sam relaxed a little, she went back into her room to put her shoes on. Daniel heard her cry out again.

'Was that another one?' Daniel was answered with a scream. 'Damn it Sam, that was less than a minute.'

'Is that bad?' Sam asked through gritted teeth.

'You could say that, considering we have a twenty minute drive to the hospital, I don't think we'll make it,' Daniel told her as he entered her room.

'What?' Sam yelled. 'Daniel, I am having this baby in a hospital, ok.'

'I don't think she's going to wait for you to get to one.' Daniel got Sam to sit on the bed. 'Sam, I'm going to have to check how far dilated you are.'

'Oh no you're not,' Sam shook her head. 'You are my best friend Daniel, that is one thing I refuse to let you do.'

'Do you want to give birth in the back of our car?'

'No.' Another contraction hit, causing Sam to cry out.

'Then lay down and let me do this.'

'Oh God,' Sam groaned, squeezing her eyes shut and pretending that it wasn't Daniel examining her.

'Sam you're almost ten centimeters.'

'Is that bad?'

'You could say that, I doubt we'll even make it to the car.'

'Oh God,' Sam groaned again. 'Just remind me how many babies you've delivered.'

'More than you have. Just relax.'

'I thought the first child normally took hours,' Sam stated between screams.

'Yes, well, I don't think you fit into the 'normal' category considering what you have spent the last 6 years doing.'

Daniel phoned the midwife, who said it would take her at least 10 minutes to get there. So Daniel prepared to deliver Sam baby.

'Ok Sam, that's good, push now.'

'I'm trying.'

'10 seconds Sam, come on, 10...9...8...7...'

'Count faster!' Sam snapped between gasps for air.

'I can see the head, your almost there.'

'I can't do it Daniel.'

'Sam, you don't have a choice.'

A few pushes later Daniel held a tiny, screaming baby in his arms. He handed the little bundle, wrapped up in a towel to Sam.

'It's a girl,' he whispered.

Sam smiled down at her daughter, tears of joy and relief streaming down her face.

'We're not quite done yet, Sam.'

'What?' Sam looked at Daniel as if he had two heads.

'You still have to deliver the placenta.'

If astrophysicists could kill then the look that Sam gave Daniel at that moment would have left him six feet under.

When the midwife arrived she found the door unlocked. Looking into each room as she past it she soon found who she was looking for.

Sam woke up as she heard her bedroom door open, the midwife stepped into the room.

'Did I miss anything?'

Sam smiled. 'Oh no, it was all very quiet.'

The midwife laughed and checked over the sleeping baby. 'She looks fine.'

'Yes she does, I'm not sure about him though.' Sam indicated to where Daniel was sleeping in a chair by the bed.

'He'll live.' She smiled again before taking on her no nonsense working tone.

'You should go to the hospital tomorrow just to make sure that everything really is fine ok.'

Sam nodded and assured her that they would before settling down to sleep, enjoying the precious moment of silence that she knew would disappear as soon as her baby girl discovered what crying could get her.

When Daniel woke he found that he was stiff from sleeping sitting up. Sam was still sleeping and Anna Sophia was lying on her back, watching Daniel as he walked around the room. Scooping the tiny baby into his arms, Daniel took her into the lounge and settled on the couch. Looking down at the baby, Daniel gasped, blue met brown and he realized that Anna Sophia looked just like her father.

Rocking the baby in his arms, Daniel began to sing.

'Hush little baby don't say a word, Ra is dead or haven't you heard.

After Ra Apophis rose up, D'you know how often we kicked his butt.

Apophis wasn't dead but Hathor came along, she hardly wore anything more than a thong.

Nirti send Cassandra here with a bomb, that little plan went particularly wrong.

Apophis came back to blow up the Earth, you should have heard your daddy curse.

Hathor caught up and froze us a while, she was added to the dead Goa'uld pile.

Seth had a cult he was worshiped by all, just the thought of it makes my skin crawl.

Yu, Chronus and Nirti stopped by, she got in trouble so we said goodbye.

Sokar let us visit him in his hell, thanks to Apophis it all went well.

The replicators came and caused a fuss; Mommy kicked their metallic little butts.

Apophis bounced back just one last time, we crashed him to a planet that I can't make rhyme.

Nirti came round to save Cassie's life, we let her go with no invisibility devise.

Taneth was evil so Teal'c was in a state; he got his revenge but got trapped in the gate.

The Ashen tried to sterilize everyone, I don't think that would have been much fun.

Anubis was next with his great big rock; it headed to the earth and just wouldn't stop.

That's all that's happened so far my sweet; before I get back I hope Anubis is beat.

Daniel couldn't help but laugh and the absurdity of what he had been singing. Anna Sophia also laughed.

When Sam woke up she discovered that she was alone in the room. Pulling on a bathrobe she wandered into the lounge. Sam found Daniel asleep on the couch, cradling Anna Sophia in his arms. Sam knelt down next to them.

'Daniel, wake up,' she said softly so as not to startle him.

'Janet?' Daniel asked from his sleep.

Sam smiled at his accidental admission. 'Daniel, it's Sam, wake up,' she said louder.

Daniel opened his eyes. 'Hey, uh, I guess I fell asleep.'

'Yeah, I guess you did.'

**** 1 month later ****

For the last month, ever since he had realized on that first night, Daniel had been trying to convince Sam to tell Jack the truth. It was the only thing they ever argued about. Those arguments however, often lead to hours or even days of silence between them. That fact didn't stop Daniel from trying. If Sam refused to tell him then Daniel figured that he might just have to take matters into his own hands.

Sam was tossing and turning in bed when Daniel crept in to retrieve one of his books.

'NO!' she called out in her sleep. 'Please, No!'

Daniel walked over to where Sam slept.

'Jack!' Sam's arms began failing around wildly. 'Don't, please stop. Oh my god.'

Daniel brushed his hand along Sam's forehead and took hold of one of her hands. 'Shhh,' he whispered.

Sam began to calm down, falling into a more peaceful sleep, a smile appearing on her face.

The next day Sam stood at the airport, hugging Daniel tightly. He was going home.

'Did you have a bad dream last night?'

'Why?'

'You were calling out for Jack in your sleep.'

'Oh, it was nothing.'

'Yeah right, just a dream,' Daniel told her. 'Doesn't mean anything.'

'Right,' Sam nodded. 'Is there anything going on with you and Janet?'

'Why?'

'You called out to her in your sleep.' Sam smiled, realizing that they were repeating a conversation.

'It was just a dream,' Daniel told her again. 'Doesn't mean anything.'

They both knew that this was a lie, in both cases but nothing more was said.

Daniel's flight was called and they shared one more hug. Sam kissed Daniel goodbye.

'Why do I get the feeling that I'm never going to see you again?' Daniel asked.

Sam shook her head a little and smiled. 'It's just a feeling. It doesn't mean anything.'

Daniel didn't realize how significant those words were until the flight was about to land back in Colorado. Both the times he had said it had been a lie, they weren't just dreams. Sam had said the same thing on purpose. She had lied, just as he had. It wasn't just a feeling. Sam's fear that Jack would hate her if he found out was stronger than her rational mind. She was worried about what Daniel might say and therefore would run again. Only this time her brother wouldn't be able to help.

As soon as Daniel arrived back at his apartment he phoned Sam's home number.

'The number you have dialed is no longer in service, please check the number and try your call again,' the high-pitched and irritating prerecorded voice informed him. Daniel then tried her cell phone, receiving much the same answer.

The next call he made was to Sophie.

'Hello?'

'Sophie, it's Daniel.'

'Daniel, um, hi.' Sophie sounded nervous.

'Where is she?'

'Who?'

'Sam, you know who. She's gone.'

'Daniel, I can't help you. I'm sorry.'

'Why would she run again? Sophie? Why?' Daniel shouted.

'She's afraid you'll tell someone. She's afraid that Jack will hate her. She's afraid of losing Anna Sophia.'

'What if I told them anyway? What would she do?'

'What would that achieve? I don't know where she is. No one knows.'

Daniel hung up the phone, forgetting to say goodbye in his frustration.

Sophie was right though. He couldn't tell anyone now. Janet would be crushed that he hadn't said anything when he knew where Sam was and devastated that Sam had left again. Jack would just be furious. Besides, this time Daniel knew that she was gone for good. No one would ever find out that he was with her. There would be no way that anyone could.

Sophie looked at Sam when she hung up the phone.

'I just lied to one of our best friends. I hope you know what you're doing.'

'Thank you Sophie.' Sam gave her a thin smile.

'Don't ask me to do it again,' Sophie said resolutely. 'Your daughter deserves more than that. She deserves to know them.'

'She will. I'll tell her everything. I just couldn't stand to lose her.'

Sam gave Sophie a hug as she left the apartment. Sophie watched her go, shaking her head. She knew that she shouldn't have done it. But what do you do when your strong, independent best friend comes to you and begs?

**** 3 years later ****

'Hello, my name is Vikki Smith, I'll be your coordinator today.'

'Sam Carter,' Sam introduced herself.

'And where is...' The woman checked the sheet on her clipboard, 'Anna Sophia.'

Sam looked around the room trying to locate her daughter. She couldn't believe she had let Sophie talk her into this. The psychology department of the university where Sophie worked and where Sam had worked before Anna Sophia was born was conducting a study into the development of children. Today the room was full of three year olds and their mothers. Anna Sophia picked that convenient moment to start walking towards her mother.

'She's just coming,' Sam replied.

Half an hour later Sam and Anna Sophia were alone in a room, being observed through a one way window by goodness knows how many psychologists and students. Sam had been told to interact with Anna Sophia as she normally would, so she sat down on the floor and picked up a small ball to play catch with. After a minute of playing this game a phone in the corner of the room rang. Sam walked over to answer it and began making notes on the pad in front of her. Anna Sophia watched her mother for a moment before picking up a larger ball and bouncing it like a basketball. Sam kept one eye on the child whilst she talked.

Anna Sophia tripped forwards, bumping her head on the wall. She stood still for a moment, in shock before starting to cry. Sam put down the phone and went to the little girl. Sam picked her up and kissed her head.

'Kiss it better,' Sam told Anna Sophia. She kissed her head again and then placed kisses all over her face until the child started laughing.

'All better!' Anna Sophia laughed. She picked up her ball again and Sam returned to the phone.

A little while later Anna Sophia approached a shelf of toys that the psychologist had told her not to play with.

'Anna Soph...' Sam started to stop her but Anna Sophia interrupted.

'It's ok Mommy, look.' She picked up a magazine on a table near the shelf and returned to Sam. 'It's like the ones you read.'

Anna Sophia climbed onto Sam's lap with the magazine. From her new height Anna Sophia could see the mirror that was the window they were being observed through.

'Mommy and Anna Sophia,' she said pointing at the glass. She paused for a moment. 'Who's in there Mommy?'

'I don't know,' Sam told her.

'What's that?' Anna Sophia asked turning her attention to the magazine.

'It's a llama.'

'What's a llama?'

'It's an animal.'

'Oh. Ok.' Anna Sophia replied thoughtfully.

Later that morning Sam and Anna Sophia were back in the main hall with everybody else. They were playing a group game of catch with a large soft ball. The adults had been told to pretend to get hurt one at a time in order to see how their child reacted. Sam was still wondering how she had let Sophie talk her into it.

Sam watched as each of the women received a brief question of concern from their children as the game progressed.

'Ouch,' Sam pretended when her turn came.

Anna Sophia ran over to her mother and kissed her head where the ball had hit her.

'Kiss it better,' Anna Sophia told Sam. She kissed her head again and then placed kisses all over her face until Sam couldn't help but laugh.

'All better,' Sam said with a smile.

The woman after Sam tripped backwards and hit her head on the wall when her turn came. The child in question paid no attention to her mother at all. Instead she went and collected the ball. Anna Sophia looked concerned and after a little consideration she walked over and asked the woman if she was ok.

'Yes thank you, sweetie, I'll be fine,' the woman replied with a small smile and an embarrassed glance at her daughter.

'You should be careful,' Anna Sophia told her. 'You could have a conclustion.'

Vikki approached Sam that lunchtime.

'Sam,' she started, sounding a little worried and watching Sam carefully as if to pick up a reaction before it came. 'I've been observing Anna Sophia today. I think that we should do some more thorough tests. Advance it all a little. Anna Sophia seems extraordinarily perceptive for a child her age. I thought that to start with we could test her memory. Tell her a nursery rhyme now and see if she remembers it later.'

'Nursery rhymes are teardious,' Anna Sophia interrupted.

'Tedious,' Sam automatically corrected her.

'That's another thing. A three year old using words such as concussion and tedious, even if they were a little incorrect. It's phenomenal. I've never met a child so bright, or with such an extensive vocabulary.'

'I really don't want her put through too much. And I can tell you now that she will remember any nursery rhyme you tell her, she'll probably never forget it. There really is no need.'

'Sam, I'd also like to run some blood tests and things, see if there is any obvious reason for her advancements.'

'I don't think so,' Sam said in no uncertain terms. 'We'll be going now.'

Before anyone could say or do anything, Sam had led Anna Sophia out of the building and to the car.

'Mommy?' Anna Sophia asked as Sam tucked her up in bed that evening. 'Do we eat llamas?' The thoughtfulness in the child's voice suggested that it was a question that had been on her mind all day.

'No, sweetie, of course not,' Sam reassured her.

'What about cats and dogs?'

'No.'

'But we do eat cows and pigs and chickens and sheeps.'

'Yes we do eat cows, pigs, chickens and sheep.'

'Do the cows and the pigs and the chickens and the sheeps mind?'

Sam paused for a moment trying to decide how to answer.

'I think that as long as they are looked after before we eat them then they don't mind.' Sam replied at last.

'Are they all looked after?'

'Yes,' Sam fibbed.

She finished tucking the child in, kissed her good night and went into the lounge to open a stack of letters. Most of them were junk mail and bills but two stood out from the rest.

*Dear Dr. S. Carter

We regret to inform you that the sponsors funding your current research project have withdrawn any further support. This means that you and your research team have no further business at the firm, effective immediately.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yours Sincerely

Dr. Montague*

Sam could hardly believe what she had read. Dr Montague and herself had never really gotten on but what a way to break the news. The next letter didn't make things any better.

*Dear Current Resident

We regret to inform you that the current lease on your apartment will not be renewed when it expires at the end of the month. All residents must have left the property by this time, as there are approved plans to build condos on the lot.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Yours Faithfully

The Landlord*

Sam felt the urge to throw something just as Anna Sophia entered the room carrying a photo frame in her hand; she had tears in her eyes.

'Is Daddy ok?' She asked sadly.

Sam had always left a photo of Jack next to Anna Sophia's bed. Ever since she was a baby. There were also photos of Daniel, Janet, Teal'c, Cassie, Jacob and George. As she grew up Anna Sophia had begun to ask questions about them. Sam had always answered honestly. The child had never asked where they were. Or why her daddy wasn't around. Sam didn't know what she would have said if she had. Anna Sophia just seemed to assume that one day he would just be back. She had never come out with a question so odd or so out of the blue before though. It almost made Sam worry.

'Of course. Why?'

'I feel bad.'

'Do you feel ill sweetheart?'

'No, I feel like something is wrong.'

'With Daddy?'

'Yes.'

The phone rang before Sam could reply. Sophie was on the line.

'I heard about today. What happened?'

'It's a long story.'

'They wanted to do tests on her and you said no.'

'Ok, so it's not so long a story. Do you think I was being unreasonable?'

'No. I think you did the right thing. Are you ok? Other than that.'

'No,' Sam stated bluntly.

'Why?

'My funding has been discontinued and my apartment is being turned into a condo.'

'What?'

'I've lost everything, in the space of a day.'

'You could come back to the university. I'm sure there's a job for you somewhere.'

'I'm not going back after today.'

'Well, you can stay with us until you get yourself sorted again.'

'Sophie, come on. There are four of you in a two-bedroom apartment already. That would be ridiculous.

'So what are you going to do?'

Sam looked at the picture of Jack in Anna Sophia's hands.

'I'm gonna go home.'

'As in back to Colorado?'

'Yes. At the end of next week, I'll just pack up and go.'

'Come round tomorrow Sam. We can talk. Don't make any rash decisions.'

They said goodbye and hung up. Sam put Anna Sophia back to bed with a new resolve. She had made a decision.

Janet opened the front door, shifting her son's weight a little so that she could reach the handle without dropping him. When Janet saw who was standing on the porch she froze.

'Hey Janet,' Sam said nervously.

The shock wore off and Janet started to smile. 'Sam?' Janet stepped forward and pulled her friend into a hug. 'Oh my god. I can't believe you're here. You grew your hair.'

'Yeah, people kept saying I should. Who's this?' Sam held out her hand to the six-month-old child in Janet's arms. The little boy grabbed hold of Sam's pinkie and laughed.

'This is Mel.' Janet replied.

'Is he yours?' before Sam got a reply she continued. 'He's not Cassie's right?'

Janet laughed. 'He's mine.'

'Oh Janet, he's adorable.'

'Oh I'm sorry Sam, come in.' Janet realized that they were still standing in the doorway. As Sam went to walk in she held out her hand. A small girl appeared at her side. Her long brown hair tied in two plaits, her brown eyes taking in every aspect of the environment around her.

Sam took Mel from Janet while Janet closed the door. Janet then crouched down so that she was at the same level as the little girl. 'Hello Honey,' she said with a smile, 'What's your name?'

'Anna Sophia Carter.' The response sounded rehearsed. Janet half expected her to go on and say her age and address. Before Janet could react the small girl had wrapped her arms around her neck and kissed her cheek.

'Aunt Janet, could I please have a drink?' Anna Sophia asked.

'Aunt...?' Janet mumbled through a smile as she stood up. Sam was also smiling. Janet hugged her again. 'She's beautiful Sam.'

Janet led them into the lounge before going to make a drink. As she passed the stairs she called out. 'Honey, would you two come downstairs, there are people here to say hello.'

Sam heard footsteps come halfway down the stairs. 'Mom, be quiet you'll wake the baby,' Cassie shouted, not bothering to be quiet herself. 'Dad, Mom wants you down here,' Cassie shouted again just as loud. The footsteps descended the rest of the steps and Cassie walked into the room. It took her only a split second to recognize Sam before she went over and hugged her.

'Cassie you've grown,' Sam stated the obvious, unsure of what else to say.

'No kidding,' Cassie replied with a grin. 'You've grown your hair.'

Cassie then spotted Anna Sophia, and she looked at Sam curiously.

'Cassie, this is Anna Sophia.'

Cassie knelt down in front of the child, who was now holding Mel. She had begun to talk to her when Daniel entered the room.

The meeting was just as awkward as the one three years earlier had been. But in seconds Daniel had pulled Sam to her feet and was hugging her.

'I never thought I'd see you again,' he whispered, still holding her closely to him.

They stood like that for a while, until Janet came back in with coffee for the four of them and juice for the two children.

'Why does Uncle Daniel look like he's about to cry?' Anna Sophia asked Cassie.

'He hasn't seen your mommy for a very long time.'

'When I was a month old,' the child said nodding her head. Cassie looked confused for a moment.

'No sweetie, he hasn't seen her for even longer than that.'

Daniel finally released Sam and took a seat next to Janet.

'I remember,' Anna Sophia insisted. 'He sang me lullabies and told me stories all about his adventures.'

Janet turned to look at Daniel, as did Cassie. 'Dad?' Cassie questioned him.

Daniel sighed. 'When I was away, staying with friends that time. I was with Sam.'

Janet looked betrayed. 'You never told me. Why didn't you tell me?'

'She was already gone by the time I got home. I didn't want to upset you.'

'You lied to me!'

'Janet, honey please, don't be mad.'

Janet's eyes were full of angry tears. 'You left for four months, you lied to me about where you were, you didn't tell me that you were staying with my best friend, who you knew I was worried sick about.' The tears were running down Janet's cheeks now. 'You spent the whole weekend with me and my daughter and then on Monday morning I find out, from General Hammond of all people, that you have taken some "personal leave" and skipped town. I can't believe that you didn't tell me.'

Janet all but ran out of the room, Daniel following close behind trying desperately to explain and to stop Janet from crying.

'He was with you?' Cassie didn't need an answer. Her face had taken on a look of disgust. 'I knew it! I knew he was with another woman! How could you?'

Cassie looked about set to cry as well and Anna Sophia and Mel just looked bewildered. Sam grabbed hold of Cassie's arm to stop her from leaving.

'It wasn't like that Cassie. You know me better than that.'

'I thought I knew you. But you said you would never leave and then you did, without a word.'

'I'm sorry Cass, I didn't mean to hurt you, any of you, I was confused, I was scared.'

'So was I!' Cassie shot back. 'But you stayed with me and that made it better, if you had stayed then we could have helped you.' Cassie's eyes were darting around the room, looking everywhere except at Sam. She began to cry.

'Cassie, Daniel is like a brother to me. He stuck around when I was alone and scared because he's a good man. I had no idea about him and your mom until he left. He didn't do anything wrong, he was just being a good friend.'

Sam pulled Cassie into her arms, rocking her back and forth like a small child.

'I'm sorry,' Cassie said at last. 'I don't know why I said those things. I knew that you never...I guess it's just that I can't remember seeing Mom cry before.'

'That's ok.'

'I just wish that Dad hadn't lied, that's all.'

Sam nodded in understanding. 'You want me to go talk to Mom?' Cassie asked.

Before Sam could answer Janet had come back into the room. 'Sorry,' Janet apologized.

'What for?' Sam asked.

'Cracking up,' Janet replied with a shaky laugh. 'It's been a long week.'

Janet hugged Sam again and all the anger and misunderstandings were forgotten. Sensing the change in the adults, Anna Sophia took her chance, she walked over to where Daniel and Janet were seated again and climbed onto Daniel's lap.

'Uncle Daniel, are you ok now?'

'Yes thank you, I'm fine.' Daniel smiled and blue met brown once again.

Anna Sophia snuggled into Daniel's arms in much the same way as when she was a baby.

Anna Sophia held Mel in her arms as she sat on Daniel's lap. The small girl began singing to her cousin.'

'Hush little baby don't say a word, Ra is dead or haven't you heard.

After Ra Apophis rose up, D'you know how often they kicked his butt.

Apophis wasn't dead but Hathor came along, she hardly wore anything more than a thong.

Sam and Janet both looked at Anna Sophia, shocked by the words she had sung. The child continued, oblivious to the adult's surprise.

Nirti send Cassandra here with a bomb, that little plan went particularly wrong.

Apophis came back to blow up the Earth, you should have heard my daddy curse.

Hathor caught up and froze them a while, she was added to the dead Goa'uld pile.

Daniel was turning progressively red as he recognized the nursery rhyme he had made up on the night of Anna Sophia's birth.

Seth had a cult he was worshiped by all, just the thought of it makes their skin crawl.

Yu, Chronus and Nirti stopped by, she got in trouble so they said goodbye.

Sokar let them visit him in his hell, thanks to Apophis it all went well.

The replicators came and caused a fuss; my Mommy kicked their metallic little butts.

Apophis bounced back just one last time, they crashed him to a planet that we can't make rhyme.

Nirti came round to save Cassie's life, they let her go with no invisibility device.

'Daniel?' Sam asked noticing the color his cheeks had turned. 'What have you been teaching my daughter?'

Taneth was evil so Teal'c was in a state; he got his revenge but got trapped in the gate.

The Ashen tried to sterilize everyone, I don't think that would have been much fun.

Anubis was next with his great big rock; it headed to the earth and just wouldn't stop.

'Good God,' Daniel muttered.

'What?' Sam was still waiting for an answer.

'I sang that to her once on the night she was born. How the hell did she remember that?'

Sam and Janet exchanged a look before Sam answered.

'She has a surprising memory.'

'No kidding,' Daniel agreed. 'She'll be one hell of a smart kid.'

'Is the Colonel coming by for Cassie's birthday tomorrow?' Sam enquired later that morning.

'No,' Janet replied, knowing that it would come up sooner or later. 'He wanted to, but SG1 had a bad mission.' Janet watched as concern and fear appeared behind Sam's eyes.

'What happened?'

'No one is really sure, Daniel had a concussion, Teal'c just had amnesia, Matt died in surgery and Jack is catatonic.'

'Matt?' Sam asked before the last piece of news sunk in.

'He was your replacement,' Daniel replied. 'It took a few years but I was actually getting used to seeing him sitting in your seat.'

'Jack?'

'Jack never got used to it. I don't think he ever would have. It was always going to be your seat.'

'No, that's not what I meant,' Sam started shaking her head. 'What did you say was wrong?'

'He's catatonic, Sam. His eyes are open but he's completely unresponsive.'

'Something on the planet did that?'

'We can only assume that something there was a factor.'

Sam's eyes started tear up. 'I should have come back sooner. I should have told him, none of this would have happened. Can I see him?'

An hour later, having cleared it with General Hammond, all six of them pulled up outside the mountain. They walked in silence until they were standing outside the infirmary.

'Are we going to see Daddy?' Anna Sophia asked.

'Honey,' Sam began, crouching down to her daughter's eye level. 'I want you to stay here with Uncle Daniel, Cassie and Mel for a while ok. Mommy will be back soon.'

Anna Sophia didn't argue. She took Daniel's hand and allowed him to lead her away.

'Sam, it's important that you understand. We don't think that Jack is even aware that people are present. It's like a waking coma. Usually associated with psychosis.'

'What does that mean?' Sam asked

'States such as this are normally the result of severe mental breakdown. Triggered by certain events or memories of events that have never been dealt with.'

'Something that happened to him in the past? Like what?'

'There are a number of things,' Janet was whispering now, as if afraid that she would wake the man in the next room. 'He lost his brother in an accident when Jack was only six. His Mom became an alcoholic. His Dad didn't help because he worked so much. He was a scientist, worked pretty much 24/7.'

'That explains a few things,' Sam replied. 'How did you find that out?'

'Sara.'

Sam didn't say anything but Janet could see the pain in her eyes.

'On top of all that there is everything he's been through in the 9 years he's worked here. All the times you've all almost died. Then you left...' Janet trailed off.

Sam grimaced. 'Not much then.'

'You should go in and see him now.'

Sam nodded and walked mutely up to Jack's bedside.

'Colonel, can you hear me?' Sam asked futilely. 'Come on Sir don't do this to me. You don't want to prove Daniel right do you? He said I should have come back sooner, don't prove him right.' Sam bit down on her lip, flatly refusing to cry as she looked into Jack's empty eyes. 'You don't understand Sir. You have to come out of this. There is someone that you have to meet. Your daughter Jack, Anna Sophia, don't make me have to explain this to her.' Sam paused hoping for some kind of a reaction. 'She is so looking forward to meeting you. I've told her all about you. She keeps asking when she's going to get to see her daddy. Come on Jack, listen to me.'

Jack continued to stare blankly ahead. Sam shook Jack by the shoulders as she tried yelling at him. 'What the hell happened to you? You're stronger than this. I know you are. You can fight this.' Still there was no response.

'Sam?' Janet stuck her head in the door before entering the room. 'There is one thing we haven't tried.'

'What?' Sam asked guiltily, realizing that Janet must have seen her shaking Jack.

'ECT, electro convulsive therapy.'

'So do it.'

'It's not that simple.' Janet paused momentarily. 'ECT is basically like rebooting the computer. The result may be a fully functioning human being but the problem is repressed, sometimes forgotten all together. Whatever is causing this wouldn't get dealt with.'

'But if something on the planet caused this then it wouldn't matter. We don't go back and there's no problem right?'

'I said that something on the planet may have been a factor. If that's all it was then he would have come out of this by now.'

'But if we sort him out then we can talk to him. Find out what is was, put it right.'

'He might not even know,' Janet sighed, knowing that she couldn't really explain this to Sam while she was so distressed. 'We'll give it a little longer, then we'll see if ECT works, OK.' Janet left the room before Sam could argue.

Sam turned back to Jack, shifting her position so that she could look straight into his eyes.

'Where are you?' She asked the emptiness. 'Come back to me, please.'

Sam fell asleep with her head on Jack's lap, waking up to feel a hand brushing through her hair in a repetitive sweeping action that for some reason made Sam feel better. Moving so she could see the source Sam realized that it was Jack. She sat bolt upright so quickly that she almost passed out. Jack eyes were still empty and staring off at nothing, but Sam reasoned that the movement must be a good sign.

It was an hour later before Janet would let Sam back in to see Jack. Sam sat down in her previous position on the bed and looked into Jack's eyes. Sam saw the brown eyes focus on her for just a second and a glimmer of recognition sparked behind them.

'He saw me,' Sam told Janet excitedly. Janet couldn't help but smile. This was exactly what she had hoped for. She hadn't expected it but she had hoped that Sam's presence would bring Jack back.

'Sam?' It was Daniel's voice this time. 'Anna Sophia is asking for you. I thinks she a little worried, I didn't know what to tell her.'

Sam gasped a little. 'I completely forgot about her.' Sam sounded guilty in a way that only a mother could. She stood and reluctantly released Jack's hand. Smoothing his hair away from his eyes she pressed a kiss to his forehead. 'I'll be back soon,' she promised in a whisper.

Sam sat rocking Anna Sophia on her lap as the little girl cried.

'It's ok, honey,' she repeated again and again.

'When can I see Daddy?' The child asked through her tears.

'Soon. We just have to wait until he feels a little better.'

Anna Sophia yawned and rested her head on Sam's shoulder. Sam carried her over to the bed in the corner and laid her down. Anna Sophia grabbed hold of Sam's hand tightly before closing her eyes. Sam sat on the side of the bed and began to sing her daughter to sleep.

'Somewhere over the rainbow,

Way up high,

There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.

Somewhere over the rainbow,

Skies are blue,

And the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true.

Somewhere over the rainbow,

Blue birds fly,

Birds fly over the rainbow, Why oh why can't I.'

After getting Anna Sophia off to sleep Sam went back to Jack's room. She took the same seat that she had previously been sitting in and once again looked into Jack's eyes. His eyes focused on her again and as she moved away his eyes followed her.

'Jack?' Sam asked.

Confusion appeared in the brown eyes staring at her and a strained voice asked,

'Carter?'

'Yes Jack, I'm here.' Sam smiled.

'I thought you left.'

'I'm back now. It's all going to be ok.'

'Did you say daughter?' Jack asked her, his voice getting stronger with every word.

Sam nodded mutely.

'Mine? Ours?'

Sam nodded again.

'Wow,' was all Jack could reply then he looked around him. 'Where am I?'

Janet insisted on spending another half an hour checking Jack over. She probably would have taken longer but it wasn't so simple this time. This time she had Jack talking to her and moaning at her to hurry up because he had people to see.

'You want me to go and get them now?' Janet asked when she had finished.

'Sam?' Jack asked her.

'Sam and Anna Sophia,' Janet replied. 'Now that you're feeling better we won't be able to keep her away.'

'My daughter.' Jack was still trying to get the idea to sink in.

'Don't be too hard on her, Jack. She knows it was a mistake and she's sorry, but you can't change it now.'

'It's in the past,' Jack informed her. 'None of that matters now. She's back, we can be a family.'

Janet smiled and left the room to fetch Sam.

Sam walked into the room moments later with her hands on Anna Sophia's shoulders, leading her over to Jack's bed. Sam smiled but didn't say a word as she sat on the edge of the bed and lifted Anna Sophia onto her lap.

'Who's that?' Sam asked her daughter pointing to Jack.

'Daddy,' the little girl whispered back.

'Say hello.'

'Hello Daddy,' Anna Sophia said quietly, having gone shy all of a sudden.

'Hello Princess,' Jack replied causing the child to smile and launch herself into his arms. Sam moved so that she was sitting closer to Jack. Jack put his arm around her shoulders and she lent into him.

Janet silently closed the door and went to seek out her family.

'Sammie. What are you doing here?' Jacob asked his daughter when she greeted him at the gate.

'Visiting,' Sam replied, as Jacob enveloped her in a hug.

'Does Jack...?'

'Yes.'

'Where is she?'

'With him.'

'And?'

'She is besotted with him and he adores her.'

'That's good.'

'Yes.'

Sam led Jacob towards the infirmary where Jack was being held for observation until the end of the day. The door of his room was ajar so Sam and Jacob looked in and watched him with his daughter.

'He seems happy,' Jacob whispered after a while.

'Doesn't that seem strange to you?' Sam asked also in a whisper.

'What do you mean?'

'I expected him to hate me. But he's acting like I was never gone.'

'I guess he's had a lot of time to think about it.'

'What do you mean?' Sam mirrored Jocob's earlier question.

'He probably thought he'd never see you again. He probably thought he would never come out of that 'coma' thing. My guess is he's realized what's important.'

Sam smiled. 'Thanks Dad.' She hugged him again before pushing the door open and joining her family.

Sam caught sight of Janet walking past the door. She pulled carefully out of Jack's arms so as not to wake him or Anna Sophia and went out to meet her.

'Hey, Sam. How's it going?' Janet asked once Sam had closed the door behind her.

'I don't know,' Sam admitted.

'Why? What's the problem? I thought Jack had taken it all well.'

'He has,' Sam said sadly. 'That's the problem. I want him to shout at me. I want him to be angry and hate me. Then I want him to forgive me.'

'Isn't it better to get the forgiveness without the hate?' Janet was bemused.

'With other people is it. But Jack's not like that. He gets angry. He holds a grudge. At least if he'd done it, it would be over now. As it is I'm just waiting for him to blow. And he will, you know that as well as I do.' Sam paused.

Janet remained silent so Sam continued.

'If he doesn't then he'll keep it inside and he'll get depressed, then he'll hate me anyway.' Sam blinked back tears and sighed. 'I can't really win, can I?'

Janet smiled a little and put a hand on Sam's shoulder. She knew exactly what Sam was talking about. She had expected Jack to be withdrawn and bitter. As it was he was being the model father, the perfect gentleman, and acting like nothing had happened. Janet just hoped that it wouldn't come back to haunt them.

'What's going on with you now?' Janet asked, changing the subject ever so slightly.

'How do you mean?'

'Are you going to start working here again? Where are you going to live?' Janet thought of the two most pressing issues.

'Jack wants us to move in with him,' Sam said unsurely.

'Understandably,' Janet replied.

'Yeah. I'm just worried, that's all.' Sam unintentionally steered the conversation back to where they started.

'Just give it a try. If it doesn't work out then you can always rethink it,' Janet suggested. 'What about work?'

'General Hammond said he wanted me back. As a scientist initially.'

'Initially?'

'He wants to talk to General Ryan about getting me reinstated as Major Carter.'

'But you couldn't work with Jack on SG1. Besides the obvious relationship issues on the matter, you wouldn't want to both go off world and leave Anna Sophia.' Janet became the voice of reason.

'I know,' Sam assured her with a smile. 'Apparently Jack's been getting restless. The General thought it would be a good idea if we both commanded SG1. I could work Earth side on scientific studies and just command a few missions every now and then to give Jack a break.'

'And what does Jack think?'

'I don't know,' Sam admitted. 'General Hammond wanted to talk to him before I did. It could work though. I do miss it.'

'You don't say?' Janet laughed. 'Did you really think that with everything you've seen while you've worked here you could just go back to basic theory and be happy?'

Sam laughed too. 'You are much too perceptive.'

He wanted to hate her. He really did. It was just so hard. He knew that anger was what she expected. He also knew, from talking to Daniel that that was part of the reason she hadn't come back sooner. Now, as much as he wanted to scream and shout about the unfairness of it all, he just couldn't. She was back. She loved him. He could have her now. Getting angry would push her away, again. He'd missed out on three years of their lives, he didn't want to miss any more. Staying mad at Sam had always been hard. No matter what she did he could always find a reason to let it go. This was no exception. His reason, this time, was sleeping in his arms. As he looked at Anna Sophia's soft, innocent features he saw himself in her. Everyone said that she looked like him. Poor Kid had always been his reply, but deep down he was pleased. He felt that he had more of a claim on her that way. However the more he looked at her, the more of Sam he saw in her. The way she squinted her eyes when she was thinking, the way she giggled, the way she drummed her fingers when she was waiting for something, an odd habit for a child her age, but then he had come to notice that she wasn't much like a child her age. She acted like four year olds that he had known, sometimes like a five year old even. Something else that she got from her mother. Advanced intelligence that was. Not acting like a five year old. Something like that would certainly be inherited from him. Every time he saw something of Sam in her he loved them both even more. Which was why he couldn't stay mad. He had fallen in love. With Anna Sophia the moment he saw her and with Sam all over again.

Jack's thoughts wouldn't keep still, his mind wandering all over the place. One minute he was thinking about Sam, then about Anna Sophia, then about Sam again. But he didn't care. He had them both now. Forever. That's what was important.

***2 months later***

'It was like walking in the sky, sir,' Daniel told General Hammond. SG1 had just been on a mission to P3C 144. Teal'c had given his account of events and now Daniel was describing the planet.

'It was just like a giant cloud,' he finished, apparently satisfied with that description. General Hammond looked a little unsure.

'Do you have anything to add, Colonel?'

Jack was staring at the table with a smile dancing over his lips, as an idea danced through his mind. On hearing his title he pulled out of the daydream.

'Yes, Sir,' he replied automatically. The whole room fell into silence as they waited for him to continue.

'Well?' The General finally asked.

'Well what?' Jack asked, oblivious.

'What did you want to add?'

'Oh.' Jack realized that he hadn't been paying attention. 'It was just like a giant cloud, Sir.'

Everyone stared at him, wondering if he was purposely repeating Daniel.

'I kept expecting to meet the Care Bears,' he added with a grin.

'The who?' General Hammond asked, perplexed.

'Little bears who live in the clouds, Sir. I've read the books, it's fascinating, really,' Jack insisted.

The General just nodded slightly and dismissed them.

Jack crept soundlessly into Sam's lab on level 21. He saw a figure knelt down with her head in an alcove. The alcove in question, Jack learnt from spending a lot of time in Sam's lab, contained a bookcase. He crept up behind her.

'Ever done it on a cloud?' he half whispered.

'Does a feather bed count?' she asked turning towards him, desperately trying not to laugh at his shocked expression.

'Janet!' Jack stumbled backward with a look of horror on his face.

Janet bit her lip still trying to smother the laughter. 'How was the mission, Jack?' She sniggered.

'I thought you were Sam. Why are you wearing her shirt? Where's your white coat? Where is she?' Jack didn't wait for answers between the questions.

'It's my shirt not Sam's. My lab coat is in my office and Sam is in the same place as my lab coat. I came down to get a reference for something we're working on.'

'Oh,' Jack mumbled, still reeling from the shock.

'What a thing to say,' Janet teased. 'And there I was thinking that romance was dead.'

Jack continued to take little steps backward.

'Who thinks that romance is dead?' Sam asked, as she walked into the room, right before Jack backed into her. They both stumbled, catching hold of each other for balance.

'Hey honey,' she smiled at him. 'Daniel and I were just discussing the mission. Sounds fascinating.'

Jack and Janet exchanged a look. Having just been "discussing" the mission themselves they couldn't help but find it amusing that both their "other halves" were doing the same thing.

'What?' Sam asked, becoming aware of the private joke.

'Clouds, wasn't it, Jack? Or was it feather beds?' Janet teased again, sniggering as she left the room to track down her husband. Jack had given her an idea.

'What were you and Janet up to on a feather bed?' Sam asked with a laugh. 'Should I be worried?'

Jack pulled Sam towards him and kissed her. Effectively distracting her from her questions.

***1 month later***

'Marry me,' Jack called out as he threw open the door to Sam's lab.

'As much as I'd like to, that would be bigamy. And Daniel probably wouldn't be your best man,' Janet told him calmly.

'Janet! What the hell are you doing in here?' Jack cursed.

'I would have thought that you'd have learnt your lesson last time,' Janet said with a smirk. 'Check who you're talking to before you say stupid things.'

Jack sighed. 'Where is she?'

'In the commissary.'

Jack turned to leave.

'Jack,' Janet called, making him turn towards her again. 'Can I make a suggestion?' She didn't wait for an answer. 'Wait. Take her home, light some candles, be romantic. I'm looking after Anna Sophia tonight anyway. So, surprise her. Make it something that she'll never forget.'

Jack smiled and nodded. 'Thanks Janet. Give Annie a big kiss for me.'

Jack turned and left. To begin making plans for that night. Janet was right. It had to be perfect.

The next morning Sam walked into Janet's office.

'He asked me to marry him,' she said, slumping into a chair without even saying hello.

'Congratulations.' Janet smiled and stood up to hug Sam.

'I didn't say yes.'

Janet froze. 'What?'

'I didn't say yes.' Sam repeated.

'Why?' Janet was finding it impossible to speak more than one syllable at a time.

'I'm not sure I'm ready.'

'What happened?'

'He lit candles all along the path and up on the roof. We sat under the stars with a bottle of wine and he got down on one knee and said, Samantha will you marry me?'

'And you...?' Janet's face was a grimace.

'I gasped, knocked a bottle of wine all over his pants and when he went inside to change I blew out all the candles and went into the bathroom.'

Janet's mouth fell open. 'You didn't?'

'I feel like such a horrible person. He was asleep by the time I came out. I think he'd been crying, Janet. I've never known him to cry before.'

Janet sighed. 'It shows how much he loves you.'

'And yet he won't talk to me. He's yet to let me mention anything about him taking me coming back so easily.'

'Is that the only reason?' Janet asked.

'I've been Sam Carter for so long. How do I decide to become Sam O'Neill?'

'Because you love him,' Janet stated. 'Marrying Daniel was strange for me, especially after how my last marriage turned out.'

'Didn't you feel like you lost a part of yourself when you became Janet Jackson?'

If the conversation hadn't been so serious Janet would have inserted a joke at that point.

'When I became Mrs. Jackson, I changed, obviously. But it was for the better and I've never been happier. Do you love him?'

'You know I do.'

'Do you want to marry him?'

'Yes.'

'So where's the problem?'

'I suppose I expected him to just throw open the door of my lab and say Marry Me, or something. I didn't expect the romance. Down on one knee is such a cliché. Jack hates things like that. It didn't seem like it was him.'

'Ah,' Janet started. 'That would be my fault then. I suggested that he make it a big deal. I thought you'd like it. I'm sorry.'

Sam smiled for the first time that day. 'Don't be sorry. I loved it. I was just shocked I guess. How do apologize to him for ruining it?'

Janet relaxed a little. 'You tell him that you want to marry him.'

'I think he wants to do it soon. Make up for lost time or something.'

'Then I think we had better start planning it,' Janet said excitedly. 'We have to make up for you not being at mine and for the fact that the two of you should have done this years ago.'

'Sam O'Neill then.' Sam looked unsure again.

'You could keep your name. There's no reason not to.'

'No,' Sam said resolutely. 'I want to change it. Look at my record of deaths and losses as Sam Carter. Maybe a new start will bring new luck.' Sam laughed and sighed happily. 'Thank you Janet. I feel so much better.'

'Good, now go and get your man.'

Sam laughed again. 'I didn't think any one actually said things like that. I thought it was movie thing.'

Janet laughed too before ushering Sam out of her office.

***2 months later***

Jack paused outside the door to Anna Sophia's bedroom. They had decorated it pink and purple and Jack had carved a plaque for the door with 'Annie' engraved in it, despite Sam's protests that her name was Anna Sophia and not Annie. The door was ajar so Jack listened to the story that Sam was reading before entering.

'What the hell are you reading to our 3 year old?' Jack asked when he had heard about a page of the book.

'Patricia Cornwall,' Sam replied calmly.

'Crime novels? She's just a kid!'

'My Mom read me crime novels when I was her age. I loved them. Besides, it's too late to stop me now. This is the last in an 11 book series.' Sam smiled in triumph when Jack failed to think of a reply. He was too shocked to say anything more. He had read some of those books. A part of him wondered how Annie would turn out having been subjected to such things at such a young age and another part of him wondered how Sam had explained 'auto erotic asphyxiation' to a three year old.

'I have something for you,' Jack told Anna Sophia as he sat down on the side of the bed. Pulling a small box out of his pocket. Jack opened the box and fastened a charm bracelet around Anna Sophia's tiny wrist.

'It was my Grandmother's,' he told her. 'You are a lot like her.'

'Thank you Daddy,' the small girl whispered as she looked at each of the charms in turn. 'I'll never, ever take it off...except when I have a bath, and go swimming, and play somewhere that it might get lost, and...' she trailed off looked up sheepishly 'Thank you Daddy,' she repeated, giving him a hug.

Sam woke up and looked at her husband of two weeks. She would never get tired of his face being the first thing she saw in the morning. Sam rolled over so that she was lying on top of Jack, waking him up with kisses.

'Good Morning beautiful,' Jack whispered as his eyes opened and met hers.

'Hey,' Sam replied kissing him again.

'We're going now Mommy.' Anna Sophia entered her parent's bedroom quietly.

'Is Aunt Janet here already?' Sam asked quickly rolling back on to her back beside Jack, she looked at the clock. 'Why didn't you wake me?'

'She said not to.' The little girl climbed onto the bed to say good-bye to her Mother. Jack had closed his eyes and was pretending to be asleep.

'Shall I say bye to Daddy?'

'He's asleep.' Sam played along.

Anna Sophia didn't pay any attention to Sam's point. She stood up on the bed and sat down heavily on Jack's stomach causing him to open his eyes with a start.

'Bye Daddy,' Anna Sophia said sweetly before Jack could get angry. She stood up and was about to walk away when Jack grabbed her around the waist and pulled her into a hug.

'Oh no you don't,' he said holding onto her like a baby.

The child giggled and tried to wriggle out of Jack's grasp. 'I'm not a baby.'

'Rock a bye baby on the tree top,' Jack began. Anna Sophia stopped fidgeting and listened. 'When the wind blows the cradle will rock, when the bough breaks...'

Sam elbowed Jack in the ribs. 'You know I hate that rhyme.' She told him.

'It's the only one I know,' Jack defended himself.

'Tell me the rest Daddy,' Anna Sophia said impatiently. 'I haven't heard that one.'

'I'll finish it when you get home,' Jack teased. 'Now move it.'

Anna Sophia stuck her tongue out at Jack before running quickly from the room.

Cassie stuck her head in the door. 'We'll be back late this afternoon.' She informed them before leaving. Sam waited until she heard the car drive away before turning to Jack. 'Where were we?'

Jack didn't answer he just leant down and pushed a kiss against Sam's lips.

The phone rang at 4pm and Sam answered it whilst making coffee. Jack just sat back and watched her with amusement as she juggled the two tasks.

'Hey David.'

'Hi Sam how are you?'

'I'm fine. How are you.'

'I'm Ok, it's Sophie actually.'

'What?'

'We were in a car accident.'

'Are you all ok?'

'Luke had a concussion and Josh broke his arm. I had a little whiplash. It's Sophie.' He repeated the last part.

'What happened?'

'Some glass went into her head, hit the brain.'

'Is she...?'

'She's alive. They said that it hit the bilateral frontal lobe.'

'What does that mean?'

'It's hard to know. Not all cases are the same. I don't think they wanted to tell me. But I read about a case when I was in medical school.'

'And?'

'The patient in question became a pathological liar, suffered from sever delusions, irrational and violent behavior and developed a tendency to act out fantasies,' David recited, trying to keep the emotion out of his voice.

'Oh my god, that's awful.' Sam was horrified, the spoon she was using clattered from her hand onto the counter.

'She's gone missing.'

'What?'

'She left the hospital; no one saw her and no one can find her. I thought you should know.'

'Yes, thank you. Do you want me to come?'

'No, it's ok; we have my whole family here. Could you let Daniel know?'

'Of course.'

'I have to get back.'

'Ok, call when you find her, ok?'

'Ok, Sam. Take care.'

'You too. Give the boys a big kiss for me.'

'Ok. Bye.'

'Bye.'

Jack watched Sam as she hung up the phone; she then relayed the conversation to Jack. Jack walked over and wrapped Sam up in his arms until she calmed down.

Sam was standing with her hands on the counter, facing Jack when she suddenly swayed.

'Sam? Are you ok?' Jack asked moving around to stand at her side.

'No, no I don't want to go,' Sam sobbed.

'Sam?' Jack was very concerned.

'Where's my Daddy? I want my Daddy.' Sam gasped and opened her eyes. She looked down at the counter, as did Jack. There was a small pool of blood and a long, thin cut across the back of her left hand.

'What happened?' Jack asked in confusion.

'I have no idea,' Sam replied, equally as confused.

'Do want me contact Dad?' Jack asked.

'No,' Sam replied. 'I have no idea why I said any of that.'

Jack wiped up the blood and held a cloth against the back of her hand. Concern was still present in his eyes but he said nothing more.

Sam checked the clock on the kitchen wall.

'Janet should be back by now. I wonder what's holding them up.'

At that moment the doorbell rang. Sam pulled open the door to find a policeman standing there.

'Mrs O'Neill?' He asked as Jack walked up behind Sam.

'Yes. Is there a problem?'

'It's about your daughter. We have reason to believe that she has been abducted.'

'What do you mean?'

'Anna Sophia went missing from the mall about an hour ago. We have conducted a thorough search of the mall and haven't found her.'

'Where's Janet?'

'A colleague of mine has just dropped the Jacksons home. Would it be possible for me to come in and talk to you?'

Sam stood back from the door to let him in. Confused tears clouded her view.

'What else is going to go wrong? First Sophie, now...' Sam sobbed 'Where's my baby Jack?'

Jack held Sam tightly, his tears running into hers. 'We'll find her,' he whispered. 'We have to.'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Samantha