Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

JACK - You Idiot!

by Sam Davies
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
JACK - You Idiot!

JACK - You Idiot!

by Sam Davies

Title: JACK - You Idiot!
Authors: Sam Davies
Spoilers: None.
Required Reading: None
Rating: General
Disclaimer: They're not mine, they belong to MGM, Double Secret and Gekko. My bank balance doesn't benefit from this, just my peace of mind (what little there is of it) etc., etc.
Archive: Sam and Jack, Heliopolis please
E-mail: mawsel@yahoo.comPLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Humour, Sam and Jack relationship.
Author's notes : If there are any inconsistencies in what you have seen in the series, I am only relating what has taken place in my reality.... You live in my alternate reality. So that should explain the differences.
I must have too much spare time on my hands, these story lines keep popping into my head
Thanks to zips for going beta for me
< > Indicates thoughts as apposed to a spoken word
The song used is credited at the end

"Colonel. I have been asking and asking you for weeks to get caught up on your paperwork. Part of your responsibilities is to ensure all necessary paperwork is completed as near to as on time as possible. I think you have used nearly every excuse known to man to avoid doing your work. So to make things easier, if you like, I can restrict you to base, and post an armed guard outside your door till you have caught up. With Doctor Jackson in Hospital, whilst his two broken legs heal, you have plenty of time to do that work and still get that fishing in I keep hearing you brag about." General Hammond quietly emphasised.

"Well Sir, If you put it like that. I suppose I should plan to catch up on my paperwork" Colonel Jack O'Neill answered (with just a touch of sarcasm tinting his reply).

"Wise choice, Son, wise choice. There are a number of secondary reports I need you to have completed ASAP included on your desk".

Drawing him self erect and saluting his commanding officer (something General Hammond could count on one hand the number of times he had done so) "Permission to Leave, Sir"

"Granted Colonel."

As Jack left the room, he missed the smile that fought to surface on the General's face. Once he was gone, the smile was fully evident as he murmured to himself. "Just you wait till you get to that last report, Jack, just you wait."

Jack sat on the office chair, feet up on the desk, with his new Laptop computer he had been talked into buying by a very smooth sales person. He had been out shopping with Cassie helping her choose a new computer for herself. Why him, he wasn't certain. After all he kept reminding her that 'Auntie Sam' was more into computers than he was. The only thing he thought computers were good for was playing computer games and chat rooms on the 'Net. The Sales person had showed him how easy it was to use a voice recognition program to write reports. His preferred method for the keyboard was the good old 'hunt and peck' method. That method had served him well all through his military life so far.

The closing pitch of being able to play his Game Boy at the same time as dictate reports had closed the deal for the sales person. It also didn't hurt that the sales person was 5'8" short blond hair, blue eyes and reminded him of somebody, just never clicked as to the similarity.

It amazed Jack, just how fast he was able to speed through all the work. Why hadn't he thought of this before and saved himself all those one sided discussions with Hammond. Before the day was over all he had left was an out tray overflowing with completed papers, a very stunned airman messenger arriving to collect said completed work, a very cleared desk, and one more report. thought Jack,


After reading the booklet titled "Rules & Regulation Exemptions applicable to Stargate Command; Uniform Military Code of Conduct; section 124 subsection 12 paragraph 3c. Jack had to stop and re-read one section. For a few minutes he sat staring into space. Then he slowly read the same part over again.

"No" he murmured. "No, No" This time a little louder. "You IDIOT, O'Neill. Of all the STUPID LAME BRAINED IDIOTS you have ever met, you out class them all, YOU IDIOT" Talking to himself.

With that he pushed the chair back and stormed out of the door. Not looking where he was going in particular, just letting himself walk to his destination automatically. The whole time his eyes were buried in the book, reading and re-reading that same section over and over and over again. Whilst mumbling to himself "You IDIOT"

Looking up he realised where he was. Taking a deep breath, he reached out and sharply raped three times on the door.

"Enter" came the call from inside.

"Permission to speak to the General, Sir" asked Jack, in an as military a pose as General Hammond had ever seen on him.

"Granted" was the reply. Hammond having a very good idea as to what was coming.

"Permission to speak . . . . . 'Candidly', Sir"

"Again, Granted. That's the only way I've known you to speak, Colonel"

"General . . . Am I some kind of fool, or idiot? Am I the only person not to know?"

"Jack, sit down." Hammond replied, rising from his seat and coming round to sit in a more informal position. "You and I have been working together for too long for you to think for one moment that you're some kind of an idiot, Son."

"Then General, Why do I seem to be the only one who doesn't know?

" Son, it's like this. When every person is assigned to this facility they go through a briefing as to the mission of this base. In that briefing they are told that because of the importance of our work, and the fact that we encounter situations on a daily basis that are just not covered in any rule book ever written, as Commanding Officer, I have, by order of the President and Joint Chief's, the widest possible leeway in interpretation of Standing Orders."

"They are issued with a hand book that states what major rules have either been re-written in applying to us, or we can ignore at 'MY' discretion. I take it you have found one of these major re-writes?" the General smiled as he asked

"Damn Straight I Have" Jack let out sarcastically, then quickly added as he saw the fire flame in the generals eye's. "My apologies, Sir. It just makes my blood boil to realise, after all this time, that there has been no reason why Carter and I couldn't see if there is any possibility we could have a relationship. After all, it seems to be the normal situation in the 'Alternate Universes we have come across."

"That's the problem, Jack, with being a bit of a 'Barracks's Lawyer'. A little knowledge can be a little dangerous."

"Me a "Barracks's Lawyer'?"

"You, son. To have survived as long as you have with your ability to bend the rules as you do so often; you have to have a bit of 'Lawyer' in your make-up."

"The question you need to ask yourself is "What are you going to do about it?"

All Jack could do was sit there, as his mind was stuck in neutral, in turmoil.

Jack found himself a short while later pacing up and down a short space of corridor outside his office. As he turned over the information in his mind, a faint idea began to form

He thought to himself

Turning suddenly he headed down to medical to have a little face to face with a certain Doctor, to appeal to her feminine side.

The next morning, when Major Samantha Carter entered her office, she found a pure white rose in a crystal bud vase in the middle of her desk, the dew still clinging to its petals.

she wondered.

There was no note, just the flower. Taking it in her hands, she walked slowly down to visit with her friend.

"Janet? Have you ever seen such a beautiful rose? The fragrance is superb."

"Where did it come from?" Janet asked already knowing the answer.

"I have no idea where from, or for that matter who from." Sam answered carefully, making not to voice her thoughts.

"Someone has a secret admirer then!" Janet answered with a teasing laugh in her voice.

Over the next week every day there was another rose awaiting her arrival. Each one as perfect as the others, each one a different color. She had tried to figure out who was doing it, trying to arrive at different times and with the people she suspected. But nope, it was always waiting there for her. (It did help with two people in the know)

The seventh was a deep red rose, and this time there was a note, typed on an envelope, but still a note

"Before you read the enclosed card, please play track four on the CD loaded into your player."

Mystified all she could do was press the play button.

A gentle melody came out, a tune she recognised off an old Cd she had, .... she thought,

Just then a gentle male voice came from the speakers

Close your eyes, Give me your hand, Darling

Do you feel my heart beating, Do you understand?

Do you feel the same, Am I only dreaming

Is this burning an Eternal Flame

I believe it's meant to be, Darling

I watch you when you are sleeping, You belong with me

Do you feel the same, Am I only dreaming

Or is this burning an Eternal Flame

Say my name, Sun shines through the rain

My whole life, so lonely, come and ease the pain

I don't want to know this feeling.

Oh

Say my name, Sun shines through the rain

My whole life, so lonely, come and ease the pain

I don't want to know this feeling.

Oh

Close your eyes, Give me your hand,

Do you feel my heart beating, Do you understand?

Do you feel the same, Am I only dreaming

Or is this burning an Eternal Flame

Close your eyes, Give me your hand, Darling

Do you feel my heart beating, Do you understand?

Do you feel the same, Am I only dreaming

Or is this burning an Eternal Flame

As the song slowly died away she opened the envelope and read the card out softly

"I have searched the hill tops and the valleys

Travelled to the stars and back

I can safely say because I know its truth

That the is no greater beauty in my life than when I see your smile

Especially when you smile just for me.

It lights the flame in my heart that only you can feel"

Sensing, rather than seeing, that someone was standing behind her. Samantha was too afraid to turn, already having a good idea who stood there. She always knew when he was close by. His fragrance always made her aware he was present. Clean, vibrant, alive.

"Sir" The words more of a caress than a title.

"We can't go here. I know we both want it but the cost would be too......" she stopped when he placed a hand on her shoulder forcing her so gently to turn and look at him.

" Sssshhh Samantha, I have a surprise for you, several in fact

First, I love you. Always have and always will, You make me complete in a way I have never known. I think you feel the same way too.

Second, I wouldn't jeopardise your career for anything, that is why I have never acted before now.

Third, The General finally made me understand that the are NO Rules stopping us from being together. In fact, the normal rules have not applied from day one, I was just too stupid to find that out.

Fourth and most importantly. I think we've wasted enough time."

Holding up a small ring case he looked her straight in the eyes and asked

"Samantha Elizabeth Carter, I have not much to offer, a broken old body and a heart that has belonged to you since the day we met. Would you make me the happiest man this side, and in fact both sides of the Stargate and marry me?"

Sam looked at the eyes of this man, saw the love written plainly for all to see. She caught a glimpse of the general and several others standing outside her door, all smiling and nodding their heads in encouragement. Not that she needed any.

Looking back to his eyes she could sense a touch of fear starting to make itself felt, was she taking too long to answer.

"Well Sir, It's like this. I can't decide if I like 'Carter-O'Neill' or 'O'Neill-Carter' better. Of course I will marry you, you know me better than that."

And the rest is history ( or at least another story)

Song used - 'Eternal Flame' version used by Human Nature (1999) used without permission

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Sam Davies