Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Life's Problems: Part 9 - Final

by Ann SGCfan
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Life's Problems: Part 9 - Final

Life's Problems: Part 9 - Final

by Ann SGCfan

Summary: I thought of this after reading "Threads". My first Fanfic.
Category: Angst, Drama
Episode Related: 713 Grace, 715 Chimera, 717 Heroes
Season: Season 8
Pairing: Jack/Sam, Jack/other, Sam/Pete
Rating: GEN
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-26

Author Notes 1: Thanks to TZMaverick & Brandie for beta reading my story!!

Author Notes 2: { } - Indicates flash backs.

************************************************************

Sam had gone in to check on her dad early the next morning. The nurses had informed her that Selmak's vital signs were improved to the point that she should wake up soon. As she entered her dad's room she heard him mumbling in his sleep. At first she couldn't make out what he was saying and then she realized he was reliving the torture he went through on PXR-277. She decided then she needed to wake him up. "Dad?" He didn't respond. She shook his shoulders and said louder "Dad. Come on wake up." He started to move around more and finally woke up.

"Hey." He said looking around a little disoriented. "SGC Infirmary?"

"Yeah." She was a little concerned he didn't know where he was. "Are you OK? Do you want me to get the doctor?"

"No. I'm OK. I just had a dream, it's nothing."

"What can you tell me about what you remember?" He looked at her as if he didn't know what she was talking about. "Don't even try to deny it Dad. I overheard you talking in your sleep?"

"I don't talk in my sleep." He protested with a smile hoping to change the subject. She gave him a look that stopped his protesting. "OK you win. You must have learned that look from your mother." He said smiling at her.

She couldn't help but smile. "Dad...what do you remember?"

"It mostly just dreams that I have been able to piece together. We had just been captured by an army of Jaffa and Olokun was `questioning' us. He apparently wasn't getting the information he wanted. Selmak took control to heal us after each session and she was able to block out most of the pain. About a week or so later, I lost track of time, he got tired of our answers and decided on a different approach. He gave us a poison that would only affect Selmak, thinking I was weaker and would give information if I didn't have Selmak to protect me. He used the same methods of interrogation. He knew I carried Tok'ra and Tau'ri information ... but I surprised him ... I never folded." Jacob stopped talking and stared off into space remembering what he went through. He wasn't going to share all his nightmares with her.

Sam took the hint and didn't push any further. If he wanted to talk about it she would be here. They sat there in silence for a long time until Jacob spoke again. "I remember Selmak telling me the poison would kill her if she didn't slow her vital signs down. If she could slow her heart rate down enough to prevent the poison from attacking her, then she might survive. That's why she has been in a coma. The hand device has been destroying the poison that was lying dormant in my body waiting for an active symbiote to attack. That's why she is starting to wake up now. The hand device has destroyed the majority of the poison."

`I knew you would figure it out' Selmak said weakly to Jacob.

Jacob just smiled at the familiar voice. Sam gave him a questioned look and he responded "Selmak is awake."

"That's great Dad! Should I get the doctor or Ian?"

"No she's still weak, but I think she's going to be OK."

`You didn't think you were getting rid of me that easily did you, Jacob?' Selmak said as she fell into a light sleep.

Jacob sensed Selmak was asleep `I certainly hoped not.'

Jacob and Sam continued to talk about everything that he had missed since he had been away. Jacob had a since of deja vu as she filled him in on the latest sports news and about Mark and the kids. He wasn't sure, but it was like she had already told him all of this, but he didn't remember them ever really talking until today. He dismissed it as a coincidence. He noticed she was smiling again and he decided to ask what or who was responsible for her good mood.

"You seem happier then usual. Care to tell me why?"

Sam wasn't sure how to answer that question. She stalled long enough for her dad to continue before she could respond. "Does it have anything to do with ... Pete?"

She frowned and he immediately wished he hadn't brought his name up. "No we broke up. Actually we had a big argument after we found you. It just wasn't meant to be."

Jacob remembered voices. One belongs to Sam and the other to angry man yelling at her demanding to know who "he" was. It was like a movie replaying in his head, there was no picture only sound.

{"No! We're great together. I just bought us a house!" He yelled.}

{"Pete I never even saw the house ... Look I'm sorry, but I can't marry you." She raised her voice.}

"He bought you a house that you had never seen." He stated remembering what he had overheard. "Were you engaged to him?"

Sam was shocked that he remembered her argument with Pete. "Dad you were in a coma. How could you know that?"

"I heard you. I didn't hear everything, but I think I heard enough, and I'm glad you're not dating him anymore." The little Jacob had heard he knew he didn't like Pete.

Sam was embarrassed. She wasn't sure how much her father heard, or if he had heard every conversation that morning. "What do you remember?" she asked cautiously.

{ "Who is he?" He yelled.}

{"Pete you're hurting me. Let me go." }

{ "It's your precious General isn't it?! I've seen the way the two of you look at each other."}

{ "Pete you don't know what you're talking about. Now let go of me."}

"He thought you were seeing someone ... a General." Jacob was trying to remember "What General was he talking about?" The only General he knew on base was George Hammond and he knew she wasn't seeing him.

Sam remained silent feeling like a teenager again who had gotten caught seeing a boy her father didn't approve of. She waited for the explosion as he continued to remember.

{"I heard you! Now just admit it. You're in love with O'Neill!"}

{ "I think it's time you left!"}

"O'Neill?" Jacob said the name but didn't quite believe his own ears. "Jack O'Neill?" Jacob looked at Sam for the first time since he began to replay the events. "Is Jack a General?" He asked calmly

It was such an easy question to answer, but its consequences were huge. She straightened her shoulders and answered boldly "Yes. He is a General. He was promoted and is now in charge of the SGC. General Hammond is in Washington and is in charge of Homeworld Security. I was promoted to Lt. Colonel and took command of SG-1."

Jacob was in information overload. So much had changed. He didn't know how to react to all the information he just received. He knew by her fatigues she was a Lt Colonel now, but he hadn't gotten around to asking her about it. He was shocked, thrilled, and angry. He sat there processing everything, when he finally spoke. "You didn't deny it."

"What? Didn't deny what?" She asked confused.

"When Pete accused you of being in love with Jack. You never denied it." Jacob said replay their argument. He looked at her again as he spoke. "Are you?"

"Am I what?"

"Are you in love with Jack?" Sam wasn't going to lie to him, but she couldn't verbalize a response. Jacob took her silence as an admission of guilt.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Sam flinched at his sudden outburst. She saw the anger in his eyes. "Sam you're throwing away your career. You're the leader of the flag ship team. You know how many people would kill for that job, or how many women would love the opportunity you have right now. Do you know what you're risking? Is it really worth throwing away everything you have worked so hard for?"

"Dad ..." She said calmly interrupting him.

"I'm serious Sam. If anyone ..."

"Dad! It's not what you think." She said more forcefully, getting him to listen to her. "We aren't seeing each other. There is nothing going on that wouldn't stand up to a board of inquiry. We talked and as long as the regulations are in place, that's all we will do."

"Are you thinking of removing the regulations?" He was shocked that she would even consider it.

"Yes we are." Jacob started to protest when she stopped him. "I don't know what's going to happen or how we are going to do that, but we are looking at our options."

"I hope you know what you're doing, and I hope he's worth it." Jacob was trying to remember he was talking to his grown daughter who could make up her own mind, and not a little girl that needed him to shield her from the world.

"He is dad. Now trust me to do what is best for me. My career doesn't keep me warm at night and Pete showed me what it was like to be loved. Unfortunately, for Pete I also learned I couldn't settle for anything less than real love, that last a life time. You just admitted that I seem happier. He's good for me. I'm not nave, he's not perfect, but I do love him."

Jacob could see she meant every word. That's what he had always wanted for her to find, a love that could stand the test of time. He would be thrilled under different circumstances, but he was worried about her. Why did it have to be Jack O'Neill, her CO that captured his daughter's heart? "You know it's not that I dislike Jack. I just want you to be happy, and not give up everything to be with him."

"I know dad. Trust us." Jacob gave her a look indicating it wasn't her he didn't trust. She smiled. "OK ... at least trust me."

"Alright."

"Are you going to be OK for a while? I need to go check on things in my lab."

"Sure I'll be fine. Go ahead. The doctor said I may be able to go home today."

"Great. I'll come by at lunch to see if they will discharge you."

"I'll be here."

****

General Hammond had been on base all morning talking to Jack and basically just making sure he was adjusting to his new job. Even though he had spoken with Jack almost daily on the phone it was still nice to see everything was OK with his on eyes. It still felt strange seeing Jack behind his desk, but Jack seemed to be adjusting well. He had never seen him in such a good mood behind a mountain of paper work.

General Hammond left Jack's office and decided to pay Jacob a visit before lunch. He walked in to the infirmary and noticed his old friend was awake, and appeared deep in thought. "Good Morning, Jacob. How are you feeling?"

"George. Hi. I heard you're a big wig in Washington now. What are you doing here?"

"I decided to see how the SGC was doing and also, check up on an old friend that got himself into some trouble."

"I'm doing better. Selmak is going to be fine, she woke up earlier. They're letting me out of here soon. "

"Good. I'm glad to hear it."

"So ... a lot has changed in the past few months." Jacob had calmed down a lot since he and Sam talked earlier this morning. He had a chance to think about what she said.

"Yes it has, but Jack is doing a great job. Sam is a natural leader of SG-1. You would be very proud. I'm keeping Washington off of SGC as much as possible, although the President is doing a good job of that too. President Hayes is a good man. Do you remember Henry Hayes?"

"Vaguely. He's the president? Wow."

"Yes and Senator Kinsey was Vice President for a while before the President fired him. That made my job easier."

Jacob still couldn't get over how much things had changed. It was like he stepped through the quantum mirror to a different reality. "Do you really think Jack and Sam are doing a good job?"

"Absolutely. I wouldn't have put in for the promotions if I didn't believe in their abilities."

"What would you do if you lost one or both of them?"

"That's not going to happen, Jacob. I won't allow it."

"Well, you better do something soon, because that's exactly what's going to happen. They're tired of waiting."

General Hammond didn't like where this conversation was going. "Jacob. I follow the `don't ask don't tell policy'. I don't want to know anything. I can't know anything."

"I understand. Let's say ... hypothetically speaking." General Hammond knew this was a thin line, but he nodded his head in approval. "There is a junior officer that has decided to pursue a relationship with her Commanding Officer. The feelings are mutual. The regulations are the only thing standing in their way, and they have decided to eliminate that problem. Now you and I know there is only one way to do that, and it requires one of them to leave their current base assignment, either by transfer or retirement. I don't think that would be good for their base or the individuals."

General Hammond closed his eyes at the implications this would bring for `their base'. He always hoped they would find someone else, or at least wait until after the war was over. He knew that was selfish and unrealistic. As much as the two of them had sacrificed over the years, this shouldn't be one of them if that's really what they wanted. He just hated that he was going to lose one or both of them in process.

"There has to be something we can do to prevent them from destroying their careers."

"Are you saying the junior officer's father is supporting their decision?"

"I heard he tried to talk her out of it, but she had already made up her mind. Once her mind is made up, no one can change it, but her. He knows he can't win that battle, he can either help her or watch her throw everything away."

"What would you suggest in a situation like this?"

"I don't believe they have figured out a way to get around the regs yet. They will probably both try to sacrifice their careers for the other one. I think they could use a little help from a couple of Generals, some that would have both of their best interests at heart."

Jacob and General Hammond began to brain storm over this `hypothetical situation'.

************************************************************

Sam left her father in the infirmary and headed towards Jack's office. She knocked and waited for his response.

"Enter."

"General, do you have a few moments?"

"Sure, come in Carter." He became concerned when he noticed the solemn look on her face.

She shut the door behind her and he raised an eye brow at her actions. "That serious?"

She thought for a moment and quietly replied, "Dad knows."

"Dad knows what?" Jack was confused.

"He remembers my argument with Pete in the infirmary."

"That's impossible. He was unconscious when Pete came by."

"He knew Pete and I were arguing about you. He asked me about it, I couldn't lie to him Jack."

"What did you tell him?"

"I told him the truth. I told him how I felt and that we were going to explore our options for the future."

"I bet he didn't take that well."

"Uh ... actually no he didn't take it well. He was pretty upset."

"Great .... So now what?"

"I think I calmed him down. He seemed OK when I left, but I wanted to warn you."

"Warn me?" Jack was a little shocked. He could understand Jacob being a little taken back by their relationship, but he didn't think it would come to bodily harm... would it?

Jack didn't get to ask what she meant, because his phone started ringing. "Listen, can you come by my place tonight so we can talk about this?"

"Dad is being released today, but I'll try." The phone continued to ring.

Jack nodded his understanding and picked up the phone. "O'Neill."

Sam smiled at him as she turned and left.

****

Jacob had been discharged from the infirmary late in the afternoon. He and Sam were now at her house finishing dinner as her cell phone rang. "Carter" She answered.

"Yes." She appeared to be listening to a long explanation.

"O.K."

"Alright, I'll be there in 30 minutes." She hung up the phone. "Sorry Dad, but it looks like they're having trouble with the dialing program. They were trying to contact SG-7 off world and they can't connect."

"You better go see what's going on."

"It may take a while. Are you going to be O.K. here?" He had after all just gotten out of the infirmary.

"Don't worry about me I'll be fine."

"O.K. Call my cell if you need anything. I'll be back as soon as I can." She waved to her dad before she picked up her keys and left for the base.

****

Jacob had finished watching the game and was starting to get bored. There was nothing else on T.V. All the books and magazines were related to her work and way over his head. That's when he got an idea.

****

Jack was watching a hockey game he had recorded earlier, when he heard the doorbell. His heart did a little flip, thinking it might be Sam. He was smiling when he open the door.

Jack's face froze when he saw his visitor.

"Well Jack, are you going to let me in, or do I have to stand out her all night?"

"Uh ... Sorry. Of Course come in. So how are you feeling Jacob?" Jack was recovering quickly from his disappointment and shock that the wrong Carter was standing in his house.

"Much better thanks."

"Would you like something to drink?"

"This isn't a social call Jack."

"Yeah, I was afraid of that." Jack mumbled. "Listen Jacob, I know why you're here."

"Good then that will save us both some time." Jacob turned and glared at Jack. "Are you going to tell me what's going on between you and my daughter?"

"Nothing is going on between us at the moment."

"Does that mean something happened between you two in the past?" Jacob actually enjoyed watching Jack squirm.

"What? No. I just mean that we aren't dating or whatever. We're just, uh ... talking."

"Is that all? Are you sure you haven't broken any regs?"

"Of Course not! Sam is too smart for that."

"Does that mean you would break the regs if you could talk her into it?"

"No! Jacob, I respect and admire Sam more than anyone I have ever met. I would never do anything to jeopardize her career, her life, or her happiness. "

Jacob was still waiting to be convinced that Jack was good enough for his daughter. "That's exactly what you're doing if you continue to pursue a relationship with her. Come on Jack. You're the base CO, now. You have an entire base to look out for. What do you think people are going to say when they find out you two are seeing each other? Her credibility as an officer will go out the window. They will think she slept her way to the top. She deserves better then that."

"Jacob ...

"No Jack. If you care for her, you would end this right now, before you destroy everything she has worked so hard for."

Jack knew Jacob was right. She would lose more then he would in this relationship, but at the same time he couldn't deny how he felt ... or how she felt for that matter. He and Sam had already talked about this. They both agreed they couldn't give up on this opportunity to be together. "Jacob, it's because we care about each other, that we can't end this. The SGC, our careers, and the fight against the Goa'uld are extremely important to us, or we wouldn't have waited this long. I'm sorry, but we're tired of pushing our feelings aside for everything else."

"What about the regulations?" Jacob continued to interrogate him.

"We are actually trying to figure out what to do about that."

"Are you expecting her to resign her commission since you're a big time General now?"

"Of Course not! She is needed entirely too much at the SGC. If anyone is going to resign it'll be me." He was offended that Jacob would think he was that shallow.

Jacob felt a little better, but he still wasn't convinced, so he continued to push. "So you're going to lie around the house all day and expect her to bring home the paycheck? The retired pension is not that great Jack."

Jack was getting annoyed. "Jacob I understand you have Sam's best interest at heart here, but I love her and I would never ever take advantage of her. I will do everything in my power to make sure she's happy and taken care of as long as I live. If that means I have to resign my commission and be a sack boy, at a grocery store, then that's what I'm going to do. She deserves to continue her career until she's ready to retire in another 30 years or so. I can't imagine what the world would be like without her at the SGC. I also can't imagine my life without her in it." He calmed down as he realized that he just admitted to loving her out loud for the first time.

Jacob just stared at him, waiting for him to continue.

"She completes me Jacob. After Charlie died, I thought that was it, my life was over. The last 7 or 8 years I have grown to love Sam very much. Why she feels the same way about me I will never know, but I will thank God every day that we have together. Jacob, I know she deserves better than me, but I can promise you that no one will love her any more than I do."

Jacob just smiled. "I'm glad to hear that Jack. You had me worried for a while."

Jack was confused by Jacob's sudden change in attitude. He was waiting for another round of questions. Then it dawned on him. "This was a test?" He asked astonished.

"Oh. Yeah. Sam told me how she felt and I had to see if you felt the same way."

Jack just laughed. He could understand the need to protect a child, even if she was an adult. "So I take it I passed?"

"As long as you keep her safe and happy, then you have my blessing." Jacob held out his hand to Jack. "If you ever hurt her, I promise you will regret it.

"Thank you, Sir, and I promise I'll do my best to make her happy." Jack said shaking Jacob's hand.

"This is not going to be easy Jack."

"I know."

"I need to get back. Sam should be getting home soon. I'll talk to you later Jack.

"Bye, Jacob."

Jacob walked outside to see the taxi still waiting for him. He pulled out a cell phone the SGC always gave him when he left the base, and began to dial. "George....

****

Sam had just gotten home to discover her house was empty. The phone book was lying open on the kitchen counter, so she knew her dad had taken a taxi somewhere. She had a pretty good idea where he might be. She grabbed her keys and headed back to her car.

Jack had just pushed play on the VCR, when he heard the doorbell again.

"Did you forget something Jacob?" Jack was saying as he opened the door.

"So, he was here." Sam said standing at Jack's door.

"Sam! Hi. Come in." Jack was glad to see her.

"I take it my dad paid you a visit?" She walked past him into the living room.

"Yeah, we had a nice little conversation."

She smiled at him. "You're still alive, so it must have gone well."

He motioned for her to follow him out onto his deck. They both walked outside to and sat down to gaze at the stars. "I wasn't sure at first. I thought he was here to talk me out of it."

"I'm sorry my dad came over here to give you a hard time."

"Don't be. He's a father just looking out for his daughter."

"Well what did he say?"

"He made some valid arguments. I answered them, but to be honest I think we need to talk this through."

"Are you having second thoughts?" Sam asked cautiously. She was praying he wasn't.

"No. no. I just don't want you to lose everything because of me."

"That's not going to happen, Jack. Besides I think I'll be gaining more then you give yourself credit for."

"Sam, I'm at the end of my career, and you still have a lot of good years to give to the service."

"Jack ... you're not retiring." She said sternly.

"Well I'm not letting you retire. You finally got command of your own team; the flag ship team no less. You're also, the leading expert on the gate."

"I could retire my commission and work as a civilian scientist. I would still be working at the SGC."

"Yeah, but you wouldn't be able to lead a team. They want at least one military officer leading each team. They would take you off of SG-1 and assign to you to a scientific team that goes off world once in a blue moon. Trust me, you would miss the action."

"Do you miss it?"

"Yeah, I do. I also, know I'm getting to old to go chasing a group of Jaffa through the woods. At least now, I can watch everyone's back by providing them with the correct Intel and right personal. It's not quiet as adventurous, but I think I'm still contributing."

"Of course you are. I can't think of anyone better to take over for General Hammond. That's exactly why you can't retire. We need you too much Jack."

"So where does that leave us?"

"I don't know. If neither of us retires then the regulations stop us from going any further. We're at the same place we have always been. I don't think I can do that." She said letting out an exasperated breath.

"I can't either."

"I still think I should resign. Look Jack, you know how it works in the field. You know how the SGC needs to be run. I can resign my commission and still work at the SGC, but answer to Area 51 or Washington. We could both keep a job we love and still pursue a relationship."

"No, you would be giving up too much."

He scooted his chair over next to hers reached over and intertwined his fingers with hers. They both sat in silence staring up at the stars. She sighed.

"Jack." She whispered. "I think we would be giving up more if we decided not to pursue this."

"I know."

She turned to face him. "I Love you, Jack."

Jack turned and looked into her loving eyes. "I love you, too."

"Then you'll accept my resignation?"

"No. There has to be another way. We just need more time." They were still facing one another. Neither wanted to let go

She nodded her head but didn't dare speak. She leaned in, just inches from him. She could feel his warm breath on her cool skin. Just as he was closing the distance between them ... her cell phone began to ring.

They both separated as if they had been burned. They were still within reach of one another.

"Oh, for cryin-out-loud." She gave a weak laugh and caressed his cheek. She agreed with him. Her phone rang again.

She cleared her throat trying to regain her voice, finally she answered. "Carter"

"Dad, Hi." Her voice was a little higher pitch then normal. Jack turned to sit back in his chair. `His timing is about as bad as Daniel's.' Jack thought to himself with wry smile.

"No. I finally got everything to work... Yeah ... I should be home soon. O.K. Love you too. Bye."

"Dad?" Jack said gazing at the stars.

"Yeah. He was checking to see if I got the gate to work, and when I would be home. I guess I need to leave. He'll be waiting for me." She leaned over and kissed his cheek, and whispered. "We'll figure something out Jack."

He grabbed her arm before she could stand. "I know Sam, just don't do anything ..."

"I'm not. I want make any decisions until we can talk about this again." She reassured him.

They both got up from their chairs. He escorted her to her car, with his hand resting at the small of her back. She could feel the warmth from his touch. He opened the car door for her and waited until she was in before shutting it. She rolled the window down smiling. "Good night Jack." She loved these little moments.

"Night Sam." He returned her smile.

He watched her lights disappear down the street before heading back inside.

************************************************************

Sam arrived on base by lunchtime the next day. She didn't have anything else to do. She was on downtime until her father returned to the Tok'ra home world. Her Father had left in a rush early this morning, when he hadn't returned she decided to go to the base. She was heading towards Jack's office when she ran into Daniel.

"Hey Daniel. How are the translations going from the artifact SG-7 found on PXR-772?"

"Slow. I decided to take a break. Are you going to see Jack?"

"I was going to ask the General when SG-1's next mission would be."

Daniel smiled at her not completely believing her.

"What?" She didn't miss that mischievous smile on Daniel face.

"Nothing. Actually Jack left for Washington this morning."

"Are you sure? He didn't mention anything about going out of town."

"I don't think it was planned."

"Do you know if Washington called him, or if he went on his own?"

"I honestly don't know, Sam. Why do you ask?"

"No reason. Listen I'll talk to you later." Sam walked back to her lab deep in thought. `He wouldn't do anything without talking to me first ... would he? We talked about this. We both agreed we wouldn't do anything drastic without both of us agreeing to it.'

****

Jack had arrived in Washington and was now sitting in the Oval office waiting for the President. He wasn't completely sure why he was here. The President's Secretary called and asked that he be on the next plane to Washington for a meeting.

Jack hated waiting. He got bored easily, but this was even worse.

The President finally walked in apologizing. "Sorry for the wait General O'Neill. I've been in meetings all morning. Would you like something to eat?"

"No Sir. I'm fine."

"Thanks for coming on such short notice. I know you were busy, but this had to be done in person."

Jack began to get nervous. "Not a Problem, Sir." Jack thought the less he said the quicker he would find out what this was about.

"Jack. May I call you Jack?"

"Yes, sir."

"Jack, it has come to my attention that another General is in need of Colonel Samantha Carter's expertise. That was the reason for the majority of my meetings this morning."

"How long will this General need her assistance?"

"Actually we were discussing a permanent transfer."

The tight feeling in Jack's stomach was turning into nausea. He wasn't about to lose Sam to another General. Some egghead at area 51 wasn't going to steal her away from him, not now.

"Sir, with all do respect. I can't imagine running the SGC without our top gate expert. What about SG-1, she's the leader of our flag ship team."

"I understand your apprehension, Jack. Actually, we would reassign all of SG-1 along with her. She would still be in command of her team."

Jack couldn't believe what he was hearing. Not only was he losing Sam, but also Daniel and Teal'c. He was losing his family. He couldn't let that happen. "Sir, SG-1 is needed entirely too much to be reassigned to another General. What about gate travel? Teal'c wouldn't be able to see his family and friends. Daniel is needed on peace negotiations with new cultures. Sa...Colonel Carter is the only one that can keep the gate in working order. I'm sorry sir; I can't understand how this would benefit them or the SGC."

"They said you would put up a fight when I told you."

"They, sir?"

The President picked up the phone to his secretary. "Show him in, Please."

Jack was surprised when General Hammond walked in. He couldn't believe that General Hammond had gone along with this insane plan to transfer SG-1. `Why isn't he protesting as much as I am?' Jack thought to himself.

"George, Come in and have a seat. I was just telling Jack that you wanted to transfer SG-1."

Jack looked at him as if a Goa'uld had suddenly possessed him. "Sir, you agreed to this?"

"Agreed to it? It was his idea? I have to say it sounds like a solid plan to me. Just hear him out, Jack." His secretary came in to announce he was late for a meeting with the new Vice President. He excused himself and left the two Generals talking, well actually staring at one another in his office.

General Hammond was amused at Jack's anger. He knew if he were in command of the SGC and someone wanted to take SG-1 away he would put up a fight too.

His smile must have shown, because Jack's face became even grimmer.

"Jack, let me explain."

"George, you want to take SG-1 away from me permanently? What explanation will be good enough that I will actually agree to this?"

"Jack, just calm down and I will explain everything. We aren't actually taking SG-1 away from you. They will still be based at the SGC. They will just have a few more missions and little more responsibility, then other SG teams."

Jack calmed down a little after hearing they were still going to be on base. "O.K. I'm listening."

"Well. You know part of my responsibilities of overseeing the Homeworld Security is being in charge of the Prometheus and the F-302."

"Yeah...so."

"Well, since Colonel Carter was instrumental in the development of both ships her expertise would be greatly useful. Teal'c has more flight experience than anyone with the death gliders, so his knowledge will help fine-tune the F-302's modifications for constant space travel. Dr. Jackson's linguistic and diplomatic expertise will help in case they were to meet up with other civilizations."

"I'm still not sure what they would be doing?"

"They would go on several missions with Prometheus and on the F-302. Colonel Carter saved the entire Prometheus crew already."

"Yes, but she paid the price by being in the infirmary with a concussion for several days."

"Jack, we have already started building another ship like Prometheus, and more F-302s. They just outfitted the Prometheus to carry two F-302s. SG-1 will spend time on the Prometheus and use the F-302s to scout planets the Malp gives incomplete data on, or on planets where the gate didn't engage. We can determine through SG-1 if the planet is worth exploring before sending other SG teams through."

"It sounds very risky. There may be a reason the Malp didn't make it through or why the gate is buried."

"The Prometheus has long range scanning. We can scan for death gliders and motherships and determine when a planet is reasonably safe. You would of course be kept apprised of their missions."

Jack felt a little more at ease. He couldn't help but worry about them. He wasn't going to be there to back them up. He knew he had to trust Sam to command SG-1. It was time to let her go and command her own team. She had to get out from under his shadow. This was an amazing opportunity for her and he couldn't stand in her way.

"Can we call this new ship Enterprise?" He was still disappointed they hadn't liked his idea when naming the Prometheus.

General Hammond just laughed. "I don't know Jack. We'll have to talk about that later. Does this mean you will agree to the transfer?"

"How often would they be going on these missions?"

"Well I guess that would depend on the Prometheus's need, and the number of Planets we can't explore with the Malp. I'm thinking at least seven to ten days out of every month. They would be kept up to date on all the missions the Prometheus went on, and I would determine when they were needed. Until then they could go off world through the Stargate as normal. You and I would have to work together to coordinate their schedules."

"Great more paper work." Jack added sarcastically, although he knew this would be a good opportunity for them if they wanted it. "I'll have to talk to them George. If they agree to it, then I'll sign their transfers."

"Great. I know it'll be a little weird for them to be under my command again." He watched as Jack's face lit up, as if he suddenly realized what this would mean.

"Your command ... that's right. Now let me ask you. While they are at the SGC would they be under your command or mine?"

General Hammond knew what he was asking. This was what he and Jacob had talked about in great lengths. Jacob was even on a conference call this morning with him and the President going over all the fine details. He had a feeling the President was aware of the underlying reason why he and Jacob were pushing for their transfer, but he never said anything.

"They would still be under my command, because I will have to OK all their missions. I will check in with you and Colonel Carter daily on their progress. I oversee the SGC anyways, so I will do all their paper work, promotions, etc."

Jack couldn't help but smile. `If she was answering to General Hammond, then she was no longer under my command.'

"This will provide an opportunity for you Jack. I suggest you don't blow it."

Jack looked at him as if he was reading his mind. `General Hammond couldn't know, could he?'

"I agree with you George." The President said as he walked back into his office.

Both Generals stood up as they heard the President.

"Mr. President, I didn't realize you were back."

He came and stood beside Jack. "When General Hammond and General Carter presented this idea I couldn't refuse. I think everyone wins. The SGC gets to keep SG-1 together and the Prometheus crew will benefit from their expertise as well. If that allows two good officers to pursue a relationship of a more personal nature then who am I to stand in their way?"

`Oh for cryin-out-loud, does everyone know?' Jack was a little embarrassed, but very grateful. "Wait a minute, did you say General Carter?"

General Hammond cleared his throat. "Uh yeah. Actually Jacob and I had several conversations regarding the events over the past few days. He knew you would both try to retire, and none of us were willing to give either of you up to retirement just yet. So we decided to play a little interference."

"They're right Jack, there is no way we are losing you two." The President said.

"Well I guess I need to go ask SG-1 if they would be interested in a little transfer."

"Good Luck, Jack."

"Thank you, Sir." Jack shook the President's hand and walked over to George. "And THANK YOU. Sir. This really means a lot to us. I can't speak for SG-1 but this sound's like a great idea."

"Good Luck, son. And if you ever hurt her you will have a lot of people to answer to."

"Yes, Sir. I promise I'll do whatever it takes to make her happy."

"That's a good start, son."

Jack walked out in a hurry to get back to the mountain.

****

Sam was sitting in her lab lost in thought. Jack called from the plane and said he had some news he needed to share with SG-1. He ordered them to stay on base until he arrived for their meeting. She was going to kill him if he went to Washington and retired without talking to her first.

Jack finally arrived and SG-1 was waiting in the conference room as he made his way down.

"Do you have any idea what this is about Sam?"

"I don't want to speculate Daniel, but he better have a good explanation."

"Teal'c, do you know?"

"I do not Daniel Jackson. I am sure he will inform us as when he arrives."

Jack walked in smiling. Sam became a little uneasy. He was entirely too happy. "Good evening Campers. Sorry I'm late. I'm glad you stuck around."

"What's going on Jack?" Daniel asked impatiently.

"Well, I have an offer for SG-1."

Sam nerves calmed a little, at least his first words weren't `I retired'.

"Another General has requested your expertise."

"How long would we be in their service, O'Neill?"

"Well, Teal'c it would be a permanent transfer."

"What! Jack, are you crazy? You would transfer us to another base. What about going through the gate and our work here?" Daniel wasn't pleased at all. In fact he was upset that Jack would be so happy to get rid of them.

"General. This is not the answer." Sam couldn't let Jack take Daniel and Teal'c away from the jobs they have dedicated their lives too, so she wouldn't be under his command anymore. She was willing to give it all up for him, but it wasn't fair to ask that of Daniel and Teal'c.

"No, it's nothing like that. Look you would be assigned to General Hammond. He is in charge of the Prometheus, the F-302, and the Stargate program. If you three agreed to a transfer you would be going on regular missions through the Stargate, but you would also be going on regular missions aboard the Prometheus."

"Where would we be stationed?" Sam asked tentatively. She didn't want to be based on the Prometheus and coming home once in awhile. How would she and Jack get to know each other any better if she was a galaxy away?

He smiled as if reading her thoughts. "Don't worry; you would still be stationed here. You would keep your office, lab and base quarters. Going offworld as usual, but once a month ... or so you would go on a mission with the Prometheus. They could use each of your expertise to keep the ship in working order along with making advanced modifications. This would help develop our Homeworld Security defenses, with the Goa'uld and the Replicators becoming more of a threat in our own galaxy. It would also, provide more Intel on planets where the Malp doesn't provide enough Intel or when the gate will not engage. They have outfitted the Prometheus with two F-302s. SG-1 would board the Prometheus from a friendly planet and travel on the Prometheus to these planets in question to gather more information. SG-1 would then explore these planets from the F-302s. Essentially you would be doing the same thing you have done the last 8 years only occasionally you'll be in a ship." Jack smiled because his speech was over. He had hit the main point and hoped they saw the opportunity that was presented to them.

Sam thought of the implications. She would get to do more traveling in space, which she had always wanted to do since she was child; she would still be able to go offworld and discover new planets, she could work in the lab on her experiments, but the best part...she would no longer be under Jack's command. Her face broke into a huge smile. This would be a dream come true on so many levels. She decided she couldn't say anything until Teal'c and Daniel responded. She didn't want to influence their decision.

Daniel thought about it and he didn't really understand what he could offer to this transfer. He didn't know that much about ships. He was content to just going through the gate, meeting new civilizations, and translating artifacts. However, when he looked over at Sam and noticed she had a smile that matched Jack's, it dawned on him that this would be a great opportunity for them. He might enjoy traveling around the planets among the stars instead of just walking through the Stargate. "It sounds O.K. to me. I'm up for the transfer if everyone else is."

Teal'c had always felt the Tau'ri need a more formidable way to defend their planet besides the Stargate. The development of these ships would insure this planet with a line of defense that was greatly needed. He also noticed the most pleasant expressions on Colonel Carter and O'Neill's face. He would not interfere on their personal quest. "I believe this would be the ideal situations O'Neill. I would agree with this transfer as well."

Jack looked over at Sam with a smirk. "Colonel Carter? What do you think about this Transfer?"

Sam couldn't stop smiling. "I believe it's a great idea General. Do we have you to thank for this transfer?"

"No actually, that honor belongs to General Hammond and your dad."

Sam was shocked. "My dad! What are you talking about?"

"He and General Hammond came up with the idea, and presented it to the President this morning. He agreed as long as SG-1 agrees to it."

"Wow!" Sam couldn't believe her father was in on this.

"Well, when does this transfer take place?" Daniel asked pleased that Jack and Sam could stop dancing around their feelings for one another. He couldn't be happier for them.

"Well as soon as you sign these papers, General Hammond and the President will sign off on them as well. It'll take 24 to 48 hours before the transfer is complete." He spread out the paper in front of each of them to sign. "Although, you can take your time and think this through. There is no rush. If you want to sleep on this or take a few days to make sure this is OK, then that will be fine too." He didn't want them to feel pressured.

Sam nodded her head in approval. She and Jack would have more to gain in this then Daniel and Teal'c would. "Maybe the General is right. Maybe you guys should think about this for a while before you make a decision."

"I do not require more time Colonel Carter. I believe this is a wise move." Teal'c signed his papers and handed them to O'Neill.

"What are a few more missions? I think it'll be fun traveling through space. You can count me in." He signed his papers and handed them to Jack.

Sam signed her papers and handed them to Jack, who was still smiling. "You will let us know when the transfer is complete?"

"You'll be the first." He said with a smirk.

They all left in order for Jack to complete their paperwork to send it to Washington. Sam decided to go home and thank her dad for his interference. It was a great plan that she and Jack had not thought of. `I guess it took two experienced Generals to come up with a brilliant plan that allowed Jack and me to have our careers and each other. Who would have thought?'

************************************************************

Epilogue

Sam stood on the porch, still amazed by the thousands of stars blanketing the sky. She closed her eyes to let the events of the last year catch up with her. She released a happy sigh. `Had it really been a year?' She thought. A year ago she was engaged ... to another man. She had lost hope and almost ruined the most amazing life she never imagined for herself. A year ago she received an offer to transfer out of Jack's command. She now traveled among the stars as well as walking through the wormhole to explore others galaxies and cultures. She had accumulated so many doohickeys in her lab to keep her busy for the next year. Her life was good.

She heard the door behind her. Her stomach did a little flip when she felt his arms slid around her waist. She closed her eyes and leaned against him. She covered her arms over his and let out another happy sigh.

"What you doing?" He whispered.

"Just thinking." Her eyes remained closed as she let the warmth of his embrace envelop her through the cold night air.

"About what?

"You ... me ... the events over the last year. I still can't believe we're here."

"I know. I thought you would turn me down again when I suggested it."

She laughed and swatted his arm playfully. She opened her eyes to see the beauty the lake offered, especially as the moon reflected off the water. "Oh Jack. It's so beautiful here."

"I knew you would like it."

"I can see now why you suggested. It's the perfect place for our honeymoon."

"Yeah. It's just took us two months to get here." She could here the smile in his voice, despite his sarcastic words.

She laughed. "You gotta love Thor's timing."

"I still say he could have waited a week."

"Jaaack." She smiled and turned to look at him as he let her go. He walked over to one of the large lounge chairs and sat down. She followed him and sat down in the same cushioned chair. She leaned against him and he once again wrapped his arms around her.

"What? The replicators wouldn't have destroyed everything by then. Besides I gave him a suitable weapon the LAST time I saw him. It's not my fault the ... replicator you figured out a force field to protect them against it."

"That was a crazy month. Not to mention the 4 months leading up to that..."

... Events from the Last Year ...

SG-1 had been transferred to General Hammonds command. They would remain stationed at the SGC, but once a month they would travel with the Prometheus to explore planets the Gate would not connect to.

News of the transfer spread like wild fire through out the SGC. Everyone watched Jack and Sam like a hawk waiting for some indication they were taking advantage of the situation. However, Jack and Sam had decided that they would maintain their professionalism while at work. A little ironic considering the SGC was the location of their first kiss ... one they both remembered. It was also the place where they finally revealed how they felt for each other.

Jack knew Sam's workload had doubled thanks to the transfer. She had her normal workload, with additional reports, research, and experiments she needed to conduct for her position with the Prometheus on top of that. He didn't want to add to her stress with a new relationship, so he decided that they would take things slow and let her get use to all the changes in her life.

Sam thought it was ironic. The one time in her life when work was playing second fiddle to her personal life and she had never been busier in her life. She could spend 24 hours in her lab and still not complete everything she wanted to do in a day. For the first time she didn't worry about every detailed report, the experiments would wait until she had time, and the research would be done in order of importance. She was never happier to go home after working 10 to 12 hours, because now she had a reason to go home. She and Jack were taking things slow. They were taking the time to date, and just spend time together.

Six months after the transfer, the SGC finally got what they were waiting for. SG-1 was on a 10 day mission with the Prometheus, they had daily contact with the SGC. On day 7 there was a weak transmission from the captain of the Prometheus. "We have run into a little trouble ... (static) ... major problems ..." and then the transmission died. Jack's blood ran cold but he remained calm. He tried to contact the Prometheus again only to be answered with static. For the next three days Jack stayed on base trying to contact the Prometheus, and making plans to travel to their last known location by way of an F-302. The only problem was he wouldn't have enough fuel to return home if the Prometheus wasn't there. He was trying to convince General Hammond and the President that it was an acceptable risk.

Three days later SG-1 was scheduled to return. If they didn't return, Jack was finally given permission to find them. At 1830 an unscheduled off world activity was announced. Jack was already standing in the control room; because SG-1 was suppose to return an hour and a half ago.

When the Sergeant announced it was SG-1's code. Jack shouted for him to open the iris and ran to the Gateroom. He was standing at the base of the ramp when all three members of SG-1 plus two walked through the horizon a little tired but uninjured.

Jack raced up the ramp and looking at each member of SG-1 to check for signs for injury. He grabbed the P-90 Sam was holding and handed it to a surprised Daniel. Sam looked at him with concern when he closed the distance between them. She was about to ask what was wrong when his mouth covered hers to stop the words. She was shocked at first. The kiss was intense and slowly softened until they both pulled away for air. Both had forgotten where they were until they heard cheers from those around them.

Jack to his credit had a sheepish grin.

"Wow! That was some welcome home Jack, but we're not that late." Sam said her face flushed from the kiss and all the attention they were getting now.

He just shrugged still smiling "I was worried."

Seeing the worry in eyes, she responded. "I'm sorry. It was a communication glitch."

He took a step away from her dropping his hand from her face. He cleared his throat. "OK SG-1 turn in your weapons and meet in the Briefing room in five minutes."

The debriefing was long. The Prometheus had run into problems with their communications due to the planets unique atmosphere. It had knocked several of their communication and electrical equipment off line. That was why two crew members retuned with SG-1 to get supplies and replacement parts. SG-1 and the Prometheus were never in any real danger.

A week later Jack proposed.

After 8 years of flirting and dancing around the truth, and 6 months taking things slow they decided a long engagement was not necessary. Sam always wanted a small church wedding. However, as news spread about their impending wedding the guest list continued to grow. Finally it was decided they would get married at the Academy Cathedral and have a small reception there and then return to Cheyenne Mountain to have another reception, to include all the well wishers from other planets.

Sam wasn't sure how they pulled off a large wedding and two receptions in 4 months, but they did. The wedding was everything she dreamed it would be. Her dad was able to make it to earth to walk her down the aisle. Teal'c and Daniel were Jack's best man. Cassie was Sam's maid of honor. Janet's picture was placed at the altar and was listed as a maid of honor as well. Jack and Sam knew Janet would have been thrilled for them and it just didn't seem right not to include her memory in their celebration.

Sam wore a simple elegant white dress with a long train. Jack wore his dress blues. The Cathedral was filled. However, neither noticed the crowd as they said the traditional vows. A few tears of joy escaped through Sam's eyes as she stood by Jack. He quietly wiped them away and kissed her cheek. The intimate gesture caused a few more tears to escape as her heart swelled with joy and love for the man she promised her life, devotion, and love too for as long she lived.

The ceremony ended with a passionate kiss that was cut short when cheers erupted. They once again realized they were in a room full of people.

The reception at the Academy Cathedral was short and filled with their family and friends that didn't have security clearance. After two hours they left and arrived at the reception in Cheyenne Mountain. They were meet by all their family and friends that did have clearance. They stayed for four hours and decided it was time to leave. As they were saying their goodbyes to all the well wishers, Thor arrived ... with bad news.

Instead of Jack and Sam changing into civvies and leaving for their honeymoon they changed into their BDU's and left for Thor's home planet. Jack went with SG-1 at Thor's request, with no objection from Jack or Sam.

They had no time to reminisce over the events of the day. Thor explained that the human form replicators had created a force field to prevent the ancient weapon from being effective. Thor explained the replicator Carter was more than likely responsible for this new development. SG-1 had made the discovery of Sam's replicator twin on an earlier mission. Therefore, they knew Fifth had downloaded Sam's memories into her replicator twin. The replicator didn't have her personality or instincts, but she did have her knowledge, which means she was a huge threat.

The next four weeks Sam set out to determine how to create a force field to stop the Ancient weapons. Once she figured it out, she had to determine how to reverse the process to weaken the force field or strengthen the ancient weapon. It was decided that changing the force field would be her best bet. It was a little like playing a game of chess with yourself. You knew the strategy of the other player, every move you made was quickly countered, and every idea or thought was shared from past experiences. The replicator was still young and she hadn't grasped the complex emotions that humans had. That was the only advantage Sam had or needed. The young replicator grew frustrated quickly. She had not faced such a formidable opponent. Everything the replicator modified was quickly made useless as Sam countered her move. Sam remained patient waiting for the frustration she knew would come. Once the frustration started the replicator began to make mistakes.

In the end Sam won. The young replicator and the force field were destroyed. Unfortunately, Fifth managed to escape minutes before the destruction. It was a great victory, but they all knew with Fifth's survival the war hadn't been won. The Asgard's sent ships to find Fifth while SG-1 retuned home 5 weeks after Jack and Sam were wed.

Jack and Sam weren't allowed any downtime for a real honeymoon for another three weeks. There was too much going on at the SGC to leave right then. There were debriefings to conduct, reports to be typed, and weapons to upgrade based on the new technology they used to defeat the replicators.

Three weeks later Jack and Sam left to go on a much deserved honeymoon to Jack's cabin. This time they were given 14 days of downtime without interruptions.

... Present Day ...

Sam lay nestled against Jack looking up at the stars as they finished reminiscing over the last year.

"This is my favorite place in the world." Sam said completely content.

"I told you, you would love the cabin."

"No. I mean here." As she hugged his arms around her a little tighter. She felt at peace and loved in his arms. She didn't have to be the strong Colonel here. She could let down her reserve and just be a woman in love with her husband. No world to save, no great ideas to come up. This was home.

"Ah." He said. "Well you know there might be one other place that might be a little nicer than this."

She sat up and looked at him and saw the mischievous grin. "Really." She said smiling as she stood up and took his hand to help him up.

"Oh yeah." He kissed her as he led her inside the cabin and closed the door.

The End.

****

Well there you have it. My very first Fanfic! I hope you enjoyed it. It was quite a learning experience. Thanks to all of you for reviewing!!!!! If you have any pointers for ways to improve my writing, please pass them along. Thanks again!!

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ann SGCfan