Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Sam pts 7-9

by Roque872002
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Sam pts 7-9

Sam pts 7-9

by roque872002

Summary: When Sam dies Jack is left to look after their daughter without her, how will he cope?
Category: Future Story
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor character death, minor language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 04/07/03

Sam - Part 7

Janet called the infirmary and got some transport for Jack and Sam to go to the SGC. Jack had insisted that he was fine and that he could get back to his life.

He tried to stand up then fell back to the floor in pain. Sam was just as bad insisting that she was fine, then she sat up properly, then she agreed that Janet take her to the infirmary.

Jack agreed with some persuasion from Jacob, and that he would look after everything here while he was gone, this gave Jacob the opportunity to speak to Sam.

When they had left for the SGC Sam appeared beside Jacob again.

She was wearing a soft blue top and skirt that went well with her blue eyes, her hair hung at half way down her upperarms. She had her hands on her hips and was looking out the door with a playful look in her eye.

"Do I have to do everything around here?" she asked sarcastically. She had a small smile on her lips and Jacob looked at her and smiled.

"So ... decided to show up again have you?" he asked her.

"Well ... it's been awhile. I wanted to see what was going on, that's all. And as normal all hell breaks loose. What am I going to do with them?"

"You could teach them on how to be careful, and what not to do when you daughter is carrying glass in the kitchen. Just a thought," he added when Sam gave him a stern look.

~*~ AT THE INFIRMARY ~*~

"Well, I want to keep you in overnight, make sure nothing happens while I'm gone."

"Oh very funny Jan! How's Sam doin'?" Jack asked sincerely.

"She's going to be fine, she's got a broken wrist, a few cuts where the glass went in and she's got a very bruised back. That was when you fell on top of her."

"It was an accident!"

"I know it was Jack! She doesn't blame you, she just wants you to look where you're going from now on, that's all. She hates being in here just as much as you."

"I thought she liked it in here," Jack said. "She likes to come and see her adopted mother at all hours of the day!"

Janet sighed and went to check on Sam. She found Sam sound asleep on the bed, Janet pulled her covers up so they were covering her properly then left to take care of her other patients.

Jack looked over to his daughters bed, she was sound asleep - or at least she was pretending - when she heard Janet leave she opened her eyes a bit and looked round the infirmary.

She felt someone staring at her and looked round to the bed next her. Her father was smiling at her, she smiled back and held out her arm. Jack took a hold of her hand and stocked her arm lovenly.

Janet saw the interaction between them when a patient had pointed it out to her. She couldn't help but smile at the pair. Everything was going to be okay from now on. She hoped. She had her work cut out for her because of them.

Later on that night, Jack lay on his side on the hospital bed as he played cards with his 16-year-old daughter. It was hard to believe that she was going to be 17 in only a few months.

He had something special planned for her, driving lessons and a car. He would listen to her the next time she said: "Oh, I like thaaat car! I want one like that!"

Sam won the hand, and Jack sighed in defeat. She always beat him at Queens, now he would win - they were going to play poker. Sam didn't have a clue what to do in poker, but now he was going to teach her.

As Jack was teaching Sam how to play, Janet came over and told them she would have to put the lights out. It was well after midnight now, and some patients had been complaining that they couldn't sleep with the light on.

The pair of them sighed and put the cards away. They both lay down on their beds and pulled the covers up as far as they would go, then snuggled in so they were comfy.

Sam fell asleep almost instantly after the light went off, and Jack stared at his daughter for a few minutes before he fell asleep too.

Sam was dreaming, Bernadette's dog that she's only had for about a year, had just had a litter of puppies. Sam was planning on getting one. Her father wouldn't mind, he loved dogs.

A picture of a brown chocolate Labrador puppy came into her head. It was running towards something, a woman, someone she recognized from somewhere. She was so familiar. Then it hit her - it was her mother.

Then Sam herself walked into the dream, she sat down beside her mother and stroked the puppy that was lying in her mothers arms. Sam looked at her daughter and smiled.

They started to talk and in the real world a small smile was forming on Sam's face, she was speaking to her mother for the first time in her life.

Sam walked up the path to Bernadette's house and knocked on the door. Little dog yelps could be heard from inside. Someone could be heard coming to the door. A few moments later the door opened and Bernadette stood there with a puppy n her arms.

"Sam! Oh my God! What happened to you!"

"Oh, that, erm me and dad kind of had an accident in the kitchen a few days ago. We've been in the infirmary ever since. I've just been let out this morning."

"Oh my God! Did it hurt? Come on in!"

"Yeah, it hurt, a lot. I got glass punched into me all over my arms, a broken wrist, and a very bruised back for were dad landed on top of me," said Sam as she walked into the house and took off her jacket.

She followed Bernadette into the kitchen to where the puppies were. 4 puppies were lying in their basket sleeping, while the other 3(including the one Bernadette had just put into basket) were playing.

The puppies were now 6 weeks old, and were very hyperactive. One of then cautiously made it's way over to Sam, who was kneeling in front of the basket. It butted Sam's knee with it's head.

Sam felt something hit her knee and looked down. A small puppy was looking up at her with big eyes, waggling it's tail and it's tongue sticking out of it's mouth.

Sam picked up the puppy and hugged it. The dog barked quietly to show that it was happy. Sam and Bernadete laughed at the puppy as it made it's move to lick Sam's face.

"So what did your dad say about getting one?" Bernadette.

"He said: 'What just the one? Why not the whole litter?' then he said that if I was responsible, which I always am - huh yeah right - I can have 2! And he was dead serious! I think he wants one for himself!"

"He said you can have 2? Oh this is great! That's one less puppy we have to worry about!"

"Dad said he would drop by later to help me choose, but I want this little one."

As Sam said that the doorbell rang, Bernadette went to answer it. She returned a few minutes later with Jack following behind her. They both sat down on the floor on opposite sides of Sam.

3 puppies made their way across to Jack when he sat down. Jack picked them up and pushed his head back as they tried to lick him.

"Daddy, can I have this one?" Sam asked questionably.

"Hun, if you want that one, you can have it! Hey Bernadette, how many can we have?"

"As many as you like!"

Jack looked at the puppies and smiled, he put down 2 of them and kept one in his hand. He looked at the puppy again and smiled as he came to his decision.

"I'll have this one!" he announced.

A little while later Sam and Jack left with thier new puppies. They got into the car and drove off to their house.

pt 8

Sam - Part 8

Jack and Sam entered the house and put the puppies in the kitchen. To Sam's surprise there was a basket and food and water bowls. In the cupboard was dog food and chew toys. Basically everything a puppy needed.

"Wow! You've been busy," said Sam as she watched her father limp over to the seat by the table. He really didn't like not being able to do very much, it was just like the time he put his knee out, well actually he didn't it was the native's of a planet he had to thank for that one.

"Yeah, thought I'd keep myself occupied for a while, and since Janet's relived me of active duty until my ankle un-brakes itself, I need something to do. How long do broken ankles take to heal?"

"No, idea. Why don't you ask Janet?"

"That's maybe a good idea, I'll call her later."

Sam sat on the kitchen floor playing with the puppies when her grandfather walked into the room. He had gotten more time away from the Tok'ra because of what had happened. He had just gotten back from the SGC, and was surprised to see 2 puppies on the kitchen floor.

"Hey Sammy, how are you?" he asked her as he sat down on the floor next to her.

"I'm okay, my back's still sore, but I'll live."

"Your as strong as your mother, and you don't know how much you are like her."

"I was speaking to her a few nights ago," she stated. "She was really nice. Say's to watch out for dad, says he's plannin somethin and that I have to be careful. She told me that she's been watchin over me nearly all the time, and she's really proud of me."

"You spoke to her? How?"

"In a dream that I had a few nights ago, she said that's how she speaks to dad most of the time, and now that I'm getting older she would speak to me more. She was scared that I would get freaked out when I was younger."

Sam sat on the kitchen floor with her puppy Areo and her fathers puppy Smudge. She was home alone in the house, Jacob had been called back to the Tok'ra homeworld a little earlier than he had hoped. She didn't want to go, it would only make her cry anyway.

As Areo climbed onto her lap, Sam's mother appeared beside her and picked up Smudge. Sam looked at her mother and smiled, her mother caught her smiling and smiled back at her.

"So, how's the back?" her mother asked.

"It's okay I guess, I mean I'll live and all but have you ever had dad land on you that fast? God, he's heavy!"

"Yeah, but he didn't mean it. Your just lucky he didn't break your back!"

"Yeah, I suppose, so what you been up to?"

"Oh, the usual, watchin' over my growing daughter, wishing I could be with her. Keeping an eye on her accident prone father, trying to knock some sense into him."

"Now that, would be a good idea!"

Just as SG-1 Sam was about to answer, a loud yell could be heard all round the house.

"SAM! WHERE ARE YEH HUN!?!" It was Jack, he had returned from the SGC already.

"I'M IN THE KITCHEN!" Sam yelled back at him. She looked at her mother and knew she had best be going. If Jack caught both Sam's in the same room at the same time, he might be a little shocked that Sam was showing herself to her daughter.

Sam disappeared into the unknown once again and Lil Sam stood up and walked into the living room. Her father was hanging up his jacket, then he came further into the house with his hands behind his back.

"What'ya got?" Sam asked as she noticed his hands were behind his back.

"Nuthin'," he replied.

"Dddaaaddd, what have you got?"

Jack smirked and walked over to the settee and sat down, with his hands still behind his back. Sam went over and sat beside him, she tried to force her hands behind his back and drag what ever he had in his hands into hers.

He kept a firm grip on what ever he had, then stood up and held them out of her reach. Sam jumped up and tried to reach for the envelope. Sam then climbed up onto the settee and grabbed the envelope. She held it out of her fathers reach and opened it.

Ice Hockey tickets. Sam loved Ice Hockey. Her mouth fell open and she turned round and hugged her father. He smiled at her reaction, he knew she would be happy, it was the game that was coming to Colorado.

Colorado Avalanches vs. Minnesota Wilds. Her and her fathers teams. It was going to be a great game.

~*~ 1 Week Later ~*~

Sam and Jack entered the house after the hockey match. They were arguing that what had been the winning goal had been fixed. Sam was currently winning, which made Jack really annoyed. He hardly ever lost arguments with his daughter, Okay, so he lost every argument he had with her, but that's not the point is it?

At 0255 hours, Sam turned in for the night. It was a good job that it was now the school summer break, or she would never would have made it up in time for school the next day.

The next day, Sam went to the park on the other side of town. She had two leaches in her hand, Areo and Smudge were running round the park trying to get the stick off one another.

Sam looked at her watch that was on her left wrist and checked the time. She was due back at the house in 10 minutes. The walk over to the park had taken her at least 30.

"AREO! SMUDGE! COME ON! TIME TO GO HOME!" Sam shouted to them.

The dogs looked round and sprinted towards her. As they were getting closer, Sam got the leaches ready to put on them. The two dogs stopped in front of her and got leaches put on them.

Sam made sure they were on properly and tighten her grip on them slightly. She turned round and BANG! She banged into someone or something, and fell to the ground.

Sam's vision slowly returned to normal and she could see an extended hand in front of her, offering to be taken and to pull her up. She took the hand and was quickly pulled to her feet.

She looked at the person and recognized him straight away. Colonel Harry Mayborne, NID. She took back her hand and started to walk backwards. Her father had told her all about him, and that he wasn't to be trusted.

He made his way towards her, as she made her way away from him. Areo and Smudge sensed that Sam was in danger and started growling at Mayborne. As he got closer to her, the two dogs started to open the mouths and try to bite him.

Mayborne made a bad mistake of ignoring the dogs growls and snaps of their jaws. He went to far towards Sam and in return got two dogs hanging by their teeth on his legs. Mayborne called out in pain, Areo and Smudge let go of his leg and then went with Sam as she ran in the direction of their house.

"I WILL GET YOU IF IT'S THE LAST THINK I DO O'NEILL!" Sam heard him yell as they ran out of the park and down the road.

Sam ran into her house and locked the door behind her. Her father was coming down the stairs pulling on his jacket. Sam was 10 minutes late and he had heard Mayborne was back in business.

He saw Sam leaning against the door out of breath. He went across to her and put his hands on her shoulders.

"Sam? What is it?" he asked her, concerned.

"Maybourne ... was in ... the park ... I banged into him ... he helped me up ... he started coming towards me ... Areo and Smudge bit him ... we ran the whole way home ..." Sam said through pants of exhuastistness.

"HE WHAT!?!" Jack shouted.

"It's okay, he's probably going to be in a wheelchair for a while. Without the use of both his legs, it's going to be hard to walk for a while."

"Oh you are so lucky you had the dogs with you. You have no idea of what he's capable of. Murder and mass destruction. Be careful when you go out and always take your cell. Understood?" Jack asked, he wasn't going to lose his daughter as he did Sam. Murder.

"Okay, I'll take my deodorant too, spray him in the eyes, it'll blind him."

"You know, I never actually thought of that, good idea."

It was the night before Sam's 17th birthday and she was really excited. It had been 1 month since her last run-in with Colonel Harry Mayborne, and on that occasion Jack had been close by. He was arrested immediately.

Sam was trying to persuade her father to tell her what he had gotten her, but he refused to tell her anything. Sam was getting very annoyed, usually she could get at least something out of him, even if it was just the colour.

Oh well ... at least she would find out tomorrow.

pt 9

Sam - Part 9

*~SAM'S 17TH BIRTHDAY~*

Sam woke early on her 17th birthday, and ran into her father's room in her pj's and jumped on his bed, narrowly missing him. Jack woke with a start and looked round to see what had jumped on him.

Sam's blonde hair was resting at her elbows as she sat on his bed, knees crossed, both arms in front of her and an innocent smile on her lips. He smiled back at her as he sat up against the bed-rest.

"So ... what'ya get me?" Sam asked him.

"Ah, for that you'll have to wait!" he told her, with a playful tone in his voice.

"Aw dddaaaddd! Till when?" she whined

"Well then lets see .... it's only 6am .... so another 3 hours."

"I have to wait until 9 to get my present? That is evil! Why 9?" She put on a pout, trying to get it earlier.

"There's no point in pouting Sam! Your not going to get any earlier! It arrives when it arrives!"

"It's getting delivered? Oh wow!" she said excitedly. "What is it?" she asked him quickly, trying to get an answer out of him.

"I'm not tellin yeh Sam! Come on, I'll make yeh a special breakfast!" said Jack as he got out of the bed and started to make his way to the door.

Sam got off the bed and followed him towards the kitchen. Her long blonde hair swinging when she walked, she reached for the door handle and pulled it with her as she left the room.

"Can we have your special pancakes with loads of syrup and sprinkles?"

"If that's what the birthday girl wants then that's what the birthday girl gets!"

About 15 minutes Sam and Jack were sitting at the table eating their pancakes. Sam's was smothered in syrup and sprinkles, while Jack had a little of both.

After breakfast Jack went back to his room and came back with and armload of presents that was addressed to Sam. She got off the sofa with a huge grin on her face and helped her father with the gifts. He then left again and came back with more.

Sam opened them eagerly. She got loads of nice things. She got: A white one sleeved top and a black skirt from Janet and Cassie. A pair of calf-high black boots from Jonas. A hair studio from Bernadette.
A big envelope of cash ($1000) from her grandfather Jacob. A compilation album of dance music and another of pop from Teal'c. A collection of perfume from Alexia.
A collection of temporary tattoos and new mobile phone covers from Ben. A book on make-up, hair styles and how to look after your body and skin, a make-up brush set, make-up and a photo frame with a photo in it from her friends up in Minnesota.
A swim-set (bikini, a one piece, sorong, flip flops, towel and bag) from Mrs. Brown and the staff at the B&B.
Money from her other relatives, since they hadn't spoken to her or seen her for a while, they didn't know what to get. And from Jack she got ... well that hadn't arrived yet.

Sam was dressed in her new clothes and boots and was experimenting with her new make-up and hair sets when her father came into the living room once again.

'God, she looks so much like her mother' Jack thought to himself.

He sat down beside Sam and put an arm around her. Sam looked up and smiled at him, she had her hair in a ponytail, with strands of hair out at the front framing her face. Her make-up was light, she had purple eye shodow and pink gloss on.

It was almost 9 am on the cold 22 October morning. Only 10 more minutes and her present would be here. Sam was getting restless, she wanted to know what her present was.

At 9:15 am Sam was in the bathroom checking her hair and make-up, her puppy, Areo, that was now 5 months old, had jumped on her and started licking her face. Jack called up to her.

"SAM HUNNY? YOUR PRESENTS HERE!!"

Sam fled the bathroom and ran down the stairs, her father stood at the closed door with his arms crossed in front of his chest. He wasn't moving anywhere just yet.

"Well???" asked Sam impatiently.

Jack stood aside and opened the door with a grin on his face. Sam looked out the door and screamed happily, she ran to her new car and jumped into the drivers seat.

The car was a metalic blue sports car. One she had spotted in a car show room window when they were passing by the shop.

She tried out the steering wheel, and played with the buttons. When she had finished playing with all the buttons she looked up at her father.

"Dad, I can't drive," she stated.

"I know, but that-" he walked over to her and got in the passengers seat "-is where these come in." He pulled out an envelope and gave it to Sam.

She opened it quickly and looked at the contents.

"Driving lassons!?! Oh thank you so much! This is the best birthday present ever! Thanks so much dad!" She hugged her father tightly.

"Come on, lets go for a test drive!" Jack got out of the car and pulled Sam with him.

Jack dragged her into the house and got his sunglasses and Sam done the same. They both picked up the leather jackets and headed back to the car when Jack locked the door.

Sam climbed into the drivers seat and put her hands on the driving wheel.

"Ah, no, I don't think so. Passenger seat. You haven't got your licence yet!"

Sam shited to the passenger seat as her father climbed into the drivers seat. Jack put the keys into the starter and drove off down the road.

"Okay Miss Carter-O'Neill, where to?" Jack asked like a lomo diver would.

Sam laughed before she replied. "To Bernadette's!"

They made thier way to Bernadettes admirring how well the car went down the road, and how quiet it was compaired to Jack's truck.

Once at Bernadettes Sam scrambled out the car and ran up the path. Dog yelps were at the door with seconds. Bernadette could be heard shouting at them to get back into the kitchen.

She opened the door and hugged Sam when she saw it was her. She also said "happy birthday" and "what did you get?"

Sam pointed to the car and waved to her dad. He waved back and Bernadette waved to him.

"Whose is the car?" she asked.

"Dad got me that for my birthday! Along with driving lessons!"

"Oh you lucky bitch!!!"

"Wanna come for a ride!?" Jack shouted up to her.

Bernadette ran into the house and grbbed her jacket and called to her mother that she was going out with Sam and her dad. Sam and Bernadette ran to the car and got in the back seat.

Jack drove off down the road once again, and asked "Stupid question but, where to now ladies?" He already knew the answer.

"THE MALL!!" they choursed.

"Shopping spree on me! I got cash!" Sam announced.

"How much did you get this year?" Bernadette asked.

"Got $1000 from grandpa and over $500 from other people!"

"You lucky bitch! I'm lucky if I get $100!"

Jack and Sam laughed. The rest of the way to the mall was filled with conversation from Sam and Bernadette with Jack occasionly jumping in. Finally they made it to the mall.

Sam and Jack entered the house laden with shopping bags. All of them were Sam's, God that girl could shop!

"So ... how much have you got left?" asked Jack looking at the 6 shopping bags he was holding and the other 6 his daughter had just put on the sofa.

"Erm ... hang on ............... $1250. I'm gonna put loads in the bank so it can gain loads of interest!!!!"

"Trust you! .......... AREO! SMUDGE! COME ON DINNER!!!" Jack shouted to the dogs, and at the word dinner they came scrambling into the room and into the kitchen.

Jack put the bags onto the sofa and went into the kitchen, a few minutes later he came back and sat down opposite his daughter, she was raking through her new things.

After a while she went to bed because she was so exhausted because of all the shopping she had done. At 2200 she finally fell asleep into a peaceful dream.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to roque872002