Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Guardians, The

by Ravital A
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Guardians

The Guardians

by Ravital.A

TITLE: The Guardians
AUTHOR: Ravital.A
EMAIL: raa@sitqad.co.il
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack, action
SPOILERS: Tok'ra,The fifth race,Thor's hammer and that's about it I think
SEASON / SEQUEL:
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS:
SUMMARY: Jack has to take the test of a life time.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: This is my first attempt at writing a fic so I need lots of feed back to get better!.



The sg-1 team was in the gate room getting ready for the next mission to PX5663. Colonel Jack O'Neill was making sure everything was in order for the mission. It had only been a day since they all came back from the last mission and it was clear they were all tired. The probe's data on the planet was not full, so Jack was getting ready for anything. He was not the kind of man who liked being caught off guard or unprepared.

The gate room was filled with the noise of the team getting ready for the mission and that's why no one noticed the strange humming coming out of the gate until it was too late. It was low and regular, like someone knocking at a heavy iron door. Suddenly the gate started to roll. But this was not a regular dialing. All the gate's chevrons locked and the gate was open. The normal bluish color of the even horizon was now replaced with an intense red color. It looked like the gate itself was burning up from inside.

"What the hell is going on?" Shouted Jack.

"I have no idea sir, but this is physically not possible," answer Major Samantha Carter his second in command "Its like someone is trying to dial all the chevrons at once".

"Close the iris" shouted General Hammond. " What ever it is, I do not want it coming our way".

"The iris won't close sir!" answered the airman.

Suddenly the noise stopped. The silence that followed was tense. The red event horizon was definitely not what they were used to. It seemed like the gate itself was expanding and trying to reach the people with the energy. Suddenly a white ball of light leaped out of the gate. It stopped in mid air just outside the gate and it seemed like it was waiting for something...

"Any ideas Carter?" Asked Jack.

"It may be some sort of an energy based life form sir. We may all be organic but it is not illogical that a pure energy life form could exist". She answered, getting close to the light trying to get a better look.

"It doesn't seem to be trying to hurt us," said Daniel and then he reached out his hand to try and touch it.

"Ow don't do that!!" cried Jack, but it was too late. The ball of light jumped away from Daniel's touch all over the room. It was like a ball in a pinball machine. It seemed to be in a panicked haze running all over the gate room. It also seemed to be evaluating the humans it got in touch with, like a child of endless curiosity.

It finally stopped right in front of Jack's eyes. It seemed like it was examining him. Jack was under some sort of spell. It looked like the colonel was involved in some sort of conversation with it. Suddenly Jack was gone. The ball of light jumped into the gate and it closed.

"Jack!" shouted Sam, completely forgetting it was her commanding officer she was talking about.

"What just happened" asked Daniel. "Where did Jack go??"

"I do not know Daniel Jackson" answered Teal'c "but wherever he is we are going to get him back".

"All of you debriefing in the main room in 5 minutes!" said the General and rushed out of the room. " I want to know where that thing came from," he shouted as he was leaving the room " and try to close the iris!"

5 minutes later they were all in the SGC briefing room. The mood in the briefing room was dark. All the remaining SG-1 members were sitting there. Each of them drowned in his/her own thoughts. The silence was almost unbearable.

Sam Carter was having trouble accepting what just happened. It was hard to concentrate on the problem at hand when he wasn't there. She was worried. And this was not the usual 'my team mate was abducted by a weird looking alien' kind of a worry. This was the type that she always tried to avoid. The type that ripped her heart out. She had tried to deny how she felt since the day she met him. But she could lie to everyone else except herself.

"Would someone tell me what just happened out there? And who was it that took my best colonel?" asked Hammond, dragging Sam away from her thoughts.

"We can not say what is it exactly, sir" answered Sam, trying to sound professional and hide the nervousness in her voice " but I think I have pretty good idea where they came from. It seems they have an 8 chevron address, just like the Asgard"

"So how come the gate locked so weirdly? And why did they take Jack? And why was the Event horizon so red?" asked Daniel.

"I have no idea!" snapped Sam at Daniel revealing her frustration for a moment "I wish I had" she added in a voice no higher then a whisper. A young airman came in to the room, and gave General Hammond a salute.

"Sir an incoming traveler has arrived, a member of the Tok'ra. He wishes to speak to you and the sg-1 team as soon as possible. He says it is concerning Colonel O'Neill.

"Send him in," replied Hammond. A second later the door opened and General Jacob Crater was standing at the door.

"Dad, what are you doing here?" said Sam pressingly "Do you have any idea what happened to the colonel?"

"Hello Samantha, General and the rest of you." He answered calmly smiling at Sam and the rest of the people "I have interesting news".





When the ball started running all over the room Jack's first thought was protecting Sam. It was weird how it crept in to his mind with out him even knowing it. He wanted to kill Daniel for the way he always acted without thinking. This time, he thought, they wouldn't get out of it. And then it happened. The ball of light talked! Well not really. Not in real words. But Jack knew exactly what it/they - what ever it was - was saying. He was a Guardian. He was here to find a volunteer for a test. Jack didn't know what the test was about, but Samhir, as the ball of light introduced him self, assured him that he meant them no harm.

"Take the test and pass and we shall bestow a great power on you people. Fail and another 1000 years will pass till another of your race may take the test."

It was an easy enough choice. He decided to go with them to take whatever test they wanted and they leave earth alone. Jack could hear Sam calling his name as it all went dark and he felt like traveling through the gate in complete darkness. All he was thinking was why Sam kept creeping into his thoughts even when it was least appropriate.

Jack awoke from the warmth of the sun. For a moment he forgot what had happened and what was at stake. It was like waking from a pleasant dream. And all he could remember from the dream were a pair of incredible blue eyes. When he opened his eyes it all came back to him. He jumped out of his bed trying to assess the situation.

"Okay Danny-boy let's see what mess you got me into this time" he said out load, trying to ease his own nervousness.

He was in a warm looking room. It was designed to bring the occupant the highest comfort possible. This was not what Jack was used to. If this was a prison, it was a damn good one. He looked around a room that seemed to be just right out of some storybook. He found fresh clothes on the dresser and on the coffee table a breakfast was all prepared for him. When he finished his meal the door opened and a young man dressed in white robes walked in.

"Good morning Jack O'Neill of the Tau'ri " he said while smiling warmly at Jack "I am Samhir, I hope you have found all to your liking?" he added mentioning to the food and new clothes in front of Jack.

"Yeah its just peachy" said Jack with a grin. " You look different since I last saw you, what happened, you change your hair?"

"I thought this form would be easier for you to accept, but if you prefer my natural form I can always..."

"No, no its ok" Jack cut him off with a nod before he could finish " Its fine. This new look works for you".

"As you wish." said Samhir with a smile. " Your test will start at the end of the elders' council. That should take no more then an hour. I suggest you get ready." He added as he turned to leave the room.

"Oh yes, speaking about the test, what is it? And where am I? And what is that great power you talked about?" said Jack jumping out of his chair to follow Samhir.

"All we be revealed in due time Jack O'Neill, now rest and change your clothes. A messenger will be sent when the council members are ready to receive you." And with that he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Trying to take Samhir 's advice Jack laid on the bed trying to get some sleep. He wished Sam were there. She always had solutions to big problems. And something told him this was going to be a problem. He was the one that always came up with the problems. And she was always there to help him solve them. "She must be going nuts now, trying to explain what happened to me" he said out loud with a sigh.

Meanwhile in the SGC main briefing room General Jacob Carter was trying to explain the situation.

"We received message from a race called the Guardians about a day ago. It took us a while to decode what they were saying. They sent a message in an ancient language long gone from the world."

At the mention of the name Guardians Teal'c jumped out of his chair.

"You've heard of them Teal'c?" asked Daniel Jackson.

"Yes, they are mentioned in Goa'uld legends. They are even more feared then the Asgard". He said as he was sitting back down.

"We know of the same legends Teal'c," said Jacob. "But we believe the Guardians are not as evil as the Goa'uld legends made them out to be. We believe they can be a powerful ally against the system lords ". All this talking was driving Sam out of her mind.

"Okay could you just tell me what the message said already?" she said impatiently, rewarding her with strange stares from the rest of the team.

"Okay Sam I was just about to get to that" said Jacob with a grin. "It Seems the Guardians wish to test a human once more. From what we could understand last time they tested a human he was found less then agreeable and by their rules there's a 1000 years cool off period between tests."

"And they picked Jack to take the test?" asked Sam eagerly.

"Well it seems he more volunteered then was chosen for this," replied Jacob.

"That's just like him!" said Sam with anger clear in her voice. He was always doing that! She was so angry, and that fact took her by surprise. She knew why Jack volunteered for the test. It was logical. It was the right thing to do. It was the honorable thing to do. But still she was angry, actually very angry. Why did he do this without consulting her? Why was he so damn bullheaded? And why was she so bothered by this?

"Okay now that we know what we're up against what can we do to get Colonel O'Neill back?" asked General Hammond completely cutting Sam's train of thought.

"From what we could gather from the message there is nothing we can do General," replied Jacob.

"Nothing we can do?" asked Sam in horror "What does that mean? They get to keep him?"

"From what I can understand he goes through the test alone and passes he lives and gets a great gift. If he fails we have no idea what happens." Answered Jacob

"Is there any way for us to contact the Guardians?" asked Sam the concern now very visible on her face.

"I don't think so Sam," said Jacob with a concerned look on his face. This was new to him. He had never seen Sam like this before. The fear was visible in her eyes. And Sam was never afraid.

"Okay I've heard enough!" said Hammond in an angry tone. "Major Carter, I want you and Daniel to try and determine exactly where they came from, and if we can get there. Also I want you two to finish decoding the message they sent the Tok'ra"

"Yes Sir" answered Sam " We'll get right on it".

"General, if I may, I would also like to help the Major and Dr. Jackson with their task" added Teal'c.

"Approved" Answer General Hammond. " We will meet again in 3 hours for a progress report".

And with that the briefing was over. General Hammond got out and left followed by Teal'c and Daniel. Sam could not believe what she heard this meeting. All she could think about was what would happen if Jack failed the test. And as much as she tried to conceal it her face reflected her feelings.

"Sam are you Ok?" Asked Jacob with a worried look.

"I'm fine don't worry about it Dad" she said, trying to smile "I have a lot of work to do".

"He will be back Sam. Nothing will keep him from keeping a promise" he said as she was leaving.

"A promise?" she asked not quit understanding what her father was talking about.

"He promised me to look after you. And he never struck me as the kind that does not fulfill his promises".

Sam could just imagine the scene. Her dad taking Jack aside and giving him the dad's talk. She could feel the blood rush to her cheeks.

"And he did not resist in accepting the responsibility" Added Jacob.

"He's my C.O. dad. He already has responsibility over my life. So what's an extra promise to a concerned dad?" Said Sam. " I've got to go. I have a lot of work to do". And with that she left the room.

"How can she be so smart and also be so blind?" asked Jacob out load. "I guess it runs in the family" He heard Selmac's, his Tok'ra symbiote, voice echo in his mind. And with a grin on his face he left the room.

Jack was deep in thought when the door to his room opened. In the doorway stood Samhir, still in his human form, dressed in pure white robes.

"The time for the test has come Jack O'Neill." he said, the excitement visible on his face. He looked at Jack, measuring him from head to toe. "Why have you not worn the robes we have provided for you?" He asked while gesturing to the gray robes that lay on the dresser near Jack.

"I don't look that good in dresses. If it's all right with you I think I'll keep my uniform". Answered Jack with his 'it will be a cold day in hell when I do that' look on his face.

"As you wish." agreed Samhir with a smile. "The elders' council has concluded their meeting and they are ready to receive you." He said as he signaled to Jack to follow him out the door. It seemed they were in some sort of a huge palace. Jack has never seen anything so beautiful in his life. The palace walls themselves seem to be alive with vibrant colours and trees at every corner.

"Are you part of the race that built the stargates?" asked Jack in an attempt to get some more information about his situation.

"Yes indeed. The Guardians are part of the ancient races who masterminded the stargates." answered Samhir, the pride evident in his voice. "But that was many life cycles ago. We are a long living race and even the elder of our race has not met one of the builders".

"Long living race?" asked Jack while observing the man beside him. Samhir was tall and well built. He seemed to be no older then a 25 year old man.

"I may appear to you like a young earth man but I was born during the time Ra ruled your earth."

"WOW! That would make you over 10,000 years old!" shouted Jack with surprise.

"And don't I look damn good for my age?" continued Samhir while smiling warmly. That last comment took Jack completely by surprise. He was used to aliens. He met plenty of them. He even liked some of them. But this was too much. An alien with a sense of humor? This was going to be more interesting then he thought.

Samhir led him through the corridors of the palace. And despite Jack's attempts to continue the conversation he remained silent, as if he was kicking himself for something he shouldn't have said. Finally they reached a huge gray door. It had no visible doorknobs, but when they approach the door opened to grant them entry to the main hall.

"Test Subject 55583756 Human Male representative of the Tau'ri." the herald announced as Samhir and Jack entered the hall. It seemed like the main hall was lighted with the light of the stars themselves. As if someone took the stars from heaven so they could light this hall. The entire ceiling was full of galaxies and constellations, far away places and remarkable sights. As they entered the room Jack could see the start shift and change to display the earth sky. He looked up in admiration. They had every star marked and represented. It was the most amazing thing he has ever seen.

"I bring before the honorable council Jack O'Neill of the Tau'ri" Said Samhir while bowing to the council.

The council looked like something out of a George Lucas film. Jack couldn't even recognize some of the races that sat there. For a moment he thought his eyes were playing tricks on him. None of them even resembled a human form. That sight was something he would never forget in his life.

"Ormaz seltar!" Shouted someone in the hall and suddenly he could see all the figures in front of him change in to their human form. The council now consisted of 5 elderly men and 5 elderly women. They all wore the same pure white robes and all of them had pure white eyes to go with them with no visible pupil. The sight of them could make anyone a little nervous but all Jack could feel was calm. Usually he was all nerves even when the mail didn't come on time. But this, as strange as it may seem, seemed like the most natural thing in the world.

"Please sit down Jack O'Neill," said the council members in complete harmony. Samhir showed Jack to a chair that was positioned in front of the council. "We are pleased to have the opportunity to test one of your race once more. Your race shows promise indeed." they continued.

"Now that I'm here would you mind telling me what is this all about?" Asked Jack trying to sound as polite as he could. One of the council members, a woman with long black silky hair and the most delicate frame, stood up and walked to Jack.

"It was said when the stargates where finished and the net complete" She started talking with a melodic and filling less voice. "The elder of each of the ancient races came together to decide the fate of the gates. Since like everything in life, entire races live and die, they all in infinite wisdom knew the day would come that their races will die and with them the knowledge of the gates. So it was decided that day to build the elders' council where representative of each race will sit and together they will test the young races to decide which will get the key to the stargate knowledge." With that she came closer to observe Jack more closely.

"We have tested a human once before since only then did humans reach the basic intelligence needed for the test. Your race shows promise and it was decided to wait another 1000 years for the next test allowing you race time to develop."

"What kind of a test is this? And I know what will happen if I pass but no one mentioned what happens if I fail" The calm Jack felt before vanished at the thought of danger. It was clear the council members could sense his uneasiness.

"The test is a test of the mind, of your life and way of living. And failing that will bring a death to memory."

"A death to what??" Jack was now as far away from calm then possible. 'A test of the mind' he thought 'boy have they got the wrong person for the job. Man I wish Carter was here. She would do great with a mind test'.

"Do not worry yourself with that now Jack O'Neill" they all answered in the same harmony as before.

"Who is Carter?" Asked one of the council members.

"Why will she do better on this test then you?" continued another.

"How did you know.... You can read my thoughts?" Jack jumped out of the chair in surprise. 'This is not good.' He thought.

"Carter has been on your mind a lot since we have brought you here. Is she you mate?" Asked Samhir coming out of the darkness so Jack could see him.

"My mate? She's under my command. A Major I work with." answered Jack in hesitation not really sure what all this talking about Sam had to do with the test.

"We are sure you work with plenty of people Jack O'Neill, yet she is the only one who appears in your dreams."

This was too much. Who were those aliens to invade his thoughts, his personal dreams? So what if he dreamt of Carter. She was an attractive woman. He always thought so. He was sure half the men on base had some sort of a fantasy about her. Okay, he'll admit she was popping into his dreams on a regular basis and this was not some sort of a one-time deal but this was not something real. It was fantasy. In real life he was her CO so that made it against regulations. And she was smart. The smartest person he knew. So even if it was not against regulations it was still a long way from being real. What smart woman would be in a relationship with him? "As we see this has upset you we will finish this meeting for today" said one of the men on the council while the others inspected Jack with intensive looks. "Samhir will show you to your room." And the next thing Jack knew he was standing next to his rooms door with Samhir.

"What just happened? Did I fail the test? And what gave you people the right to go poking into other people's thoughts??" Jack was clearly angry. He didn't give a damn if he passed the test or not. The part that worried him was what they got out when they poked in his mind.

"Try to rest" was all Samhir told him with a smile. And that smile, for some reason, really started to get on Jack's nerves.

Sam Carter was trying to keep her mind on her work. It had been 3 hours since Jack had gone. And she was getting nowhere. All she could get from the computer was the fact that what ever it was came from an eight-chevron address. It was like knowing someone came from Canada, it doesn't do you much good unless you have at least part of his or her name.

She was getting frustrated and in a few minutes she would have to face General Hammond and tell him she had no solution. This had been the day she had always feared. She failed. Jack was counting on her and she failed him.

Daniel and Teal'c were working on decoding the message the Tok'ra received with the help of Selmac and Jacob. She hoped that they'd had more progress than she did. Her mind kept wandering to Jack. She remembered the first time she met him. That grin she got from him when she offered to arm-wrestle him. The grin that always seemed to make things better. Those brown eyes that could melt her with a warm look. And now she failed him.

"Come on Carter! Get a grip!" She said out loud trying to regain some hold on the problem at hand. Suddenly the door to her lab flow open and Daniel rushed in.

"We have a problem" was all that he said while mentioning for Sam to follow him.

"We have a problem? After 3 hours that's what you came up with?" she said while she was running after Daniel in the hall.

"I meant a bigger problem. We finished decoding the message"

"And...?"

"Come on I'll show you," He said as he opened the door and walked in to the sound lab. Teal'c was sitting next to the main computer along with Jacob. They both had grim looks on their faces.

"Play the translated message again" asked Daniel. A melodic voice of a man came out of the speakers when Teal'c pressed the play button.

"It has been 1000 years since the last human test. And as per your request we are here to notify the honorable Tok'ra that we will take one human subject to the testing area. We are in agreement that if the human passes the test they will receive the key. It is also in agreement that if the human fails he will undergo a death to memory and a next test will be held in another 1000 years time. All be well The Guardians elders' council."

"A death to memory?" asked Sam in a low voice. "What does that mean? They' re going to kill him?" "We don't know Sam," said Jacob while giving her a comforting hug. A young airman walked in the room giving a salute to both of the Carter's.

"General Hammond is waiting for you in the briefing room" he said after Sam and Jacob returned his salute.

"He'll be Ok Sam we will get him back" was all Daniel said when they left the room. On the way to the briefing room the word DEATH kept running all over Sam's mind. 'This cannot end this way' she kept whispering to herself. Suddenly the gate alarm went off.

"INCOMING TRAVELER" the speakers shouted.

"Are they any SG teams off world?" asked Selmac through Jacob's mouth as they entered the briefing room just above the gate room. "No we recalled all the SG teams. The last team came home over an hour ago." answered Hammond.

"Maybe its Jack" said Daniel, voicing everyone's wishes.

"Do you have a confirmation on the traveler?" Asked Hammond.

"No Sir. The traveler has transmitted no code!" the young officer at the computer answered.

"Close the Iris." Commanded Hammond.

"That could be the Colonel!" shouted Sam "Sir, if you close the iris he would die!"

"I'm well aware of that Major. But there is more at stake here then one person. Close the iris" he repeated his previous command.

"The computer isn't responding! I can not close the iris sir!" shouted the young officer. And then it happened again. The gate looked exactly as it did 3 hours ago when Jack disappeared. And again the ball of light went through. But this time it seemed it was here for a reason. The Ball ran from the Gate room, through the glass to the main debriefing room. It stopped just above Sam's head. She could hear her name being spoken. And then it all went dark.

"Sam!" shouted Jacob. But she was gone. As before the ball leaped back in to the stargate and it was gone.

"We have an even bigger problem" Was all Daniel could say with a grim look on his face.

Jack sat on the edge of the bed in his room. The room that had seemed so beautiful before now reminded him more of a prison cell then a comfort room. A golden cage, but a cage none the less. 10 minutes had passed since Samhir took him back to the room. Jack decided he had been polite long enough. It was time to get to the bottom of this. As he got to the door it opened to grant him exit. There was no guard at his door. All that made him even more paranoid.

'Well they never said I can't look around on my own' he tried to rationalize it to himself. As he walked past the long corridors of the palace he saw several people wearing the same robes as Samhir. They all walked past him as if he was part of the normal scenery. He stopped outside of a door much like the one he came out of. He could hear Samhir's voice coming from the room speaking to some unknown person.

From the tone of his voice Jack could sense that Samhir was not happy about something. And then he heard something that made his heart leap. He couldn't understand the language they used but the name was as clear to him as his own. Samhir defiantly said "Samantha Carter". And he said it a few times in the conversation. Suddenly he heard footsteps approaching the door from inside. Jack ran to the corner positioning himself where he could see the person coming out of the room with out then seeing him. He saw Samhir coming out of the door and his face reflected his anger. Jack followed him only to see him enter another room. 'This has gone on long enough' he decided and went through the door after him.

"I think I deserve some sort of an explanation!" Jack said angrily at the man sitting on the edge of the bed. But then something else caught his eyes. On the bed, sleeping as calmly as a child was Samantha Carter. She was still dressed in her SG uniform but that didn't seem to disturb her sleep. "Sam?" he said, not believing his own eyes, but the sleeping woman showed no movement. The only sign of life was her shallow breathing. "Sam?" he repeated louder as he approached the bed. And still there was nothing. "What the hell have you done to her?" Shouted Jack, with a killer look in his eyes.

"She will be fine Jack O'Neill. She will wake soon when the affect of the travel wears off"

"Why have you brought her? I volunteered! Wasn't that enough for you? I won' t let you do anything to her!"

"The decision to bring her was not mine Jack." Answered Samhir the sadness clear in his voice. Sam stirred in the bed, obviously having some sort of a dream.

"Jack..." she whispered.

"I'm here Sam," he answered as he took her hand in his and stroked it. "You have to get back to your room now Jack" Said Samhir

"The hell I do! I'm not moving from this spot till I see she's fine!"

"No harm will come to her I assure you. And you will see her in due time"

"For crying out loud!" Jack was going to answer him. He was not moving from the spot till he saw those big blue eyes stare at him again. But when he opened his mouth he found himself shouting at a door. He was back in his room. It took no longer then a second and he could not resist. He tried opening the door again but this time it would not grant him exit. He walked all over the room like a lion in a cage and rest was nowhere to be found. All he could think about was Sam. To know she was here and that he couldn't get to her. The fear that it was his own fault she was brought here.

Sam was having one of her best dreams ever. She was happy, protected and loved. She looked at the man lying beside her on the beach with love in her eyes. She knew he would never leave her. He would always be there. She laid her head on his chest letting the soft sound of his heartbeats comfort her. His hand tightened around her as she could hear him whisper her name.

"You are the best thing that ever happened to me," he said softly while kissing her hair. She lifted her head to look at the man beside her. She wanted to kiss him. And when she stared in to those brown eyes she woke up. At first she forgot what had happened. All she could think about was the dream. It was not the first time those brown deep eyes surfaced in her dreams. But this time it was different. This seemed almost real. Then she remembered what happened. The unknown traveler. The fact that it asked her if she would come. It was the strangest feeling.

"He needs you. Will you come?" was all she heard. But she knew whom it talked about. And without a moment's thought she agreed. And here she was. Wherever here was. She got out of the bed and tried to find someone who would give her some information about her whereabouts. The minute she stepped out of her bed Samhir opened the door and walked in.

"Are you well?" he asked the concern visible on his face and in his voice.

"I'm fine," She answered, "Just got a little headache." Where am I? Where is the Colonel? Who are you? She was going to ask but Samhir had beaten her to it.

"I am Samhir. He is waiting for you. I will take you to him" and that was all the explanation she needed.

Jack was going nuts. He tried every possible way to get out of the room but it was impossible. The room was too high up for him to climb out the window and all the doors had no keyholes, doorknobs or hinges he could mess with. Suddenly he heard footsteps outside his door. Samhir opened the door and behind him, alive and well, was Sam. When he saw her smiling he knew everything would be fine.

"Carter am I glad to see you!" was all he said as he rushed to hug her.

"I'm glad to see you too sir" she said as she returned his hug.

"Are you ok? Have they done anything to you?" he asked with concern in his voice, as he looked accusingly at Samhir.

"No I'm fine sir. It was just the speed of the travel that got to me. It was even worse then traveling through the stargate".

"I told you we will not harm her Jack" was all Samhir said at the accusing look he got.

"Well pardon me if I don't really trust you guys anymore." Jack said as he inspected Sam to see if she was really unhurt.

"I will leave you two to get ready" Said Samhir as he walked to the door and opened it. "Ready for what? " said Sam while not paying much attention to anyone apart from the Colonel beside her.

"Your test. It was decided you would undergo the test together. You have one hour to prepare." And he left the room closing the door behind him.

They were alone. And he was so close she could touch him. All she had to do was lean a little closer and that would be it. But Sam was not the impulsive type. He was her Co. 'It's business' she told herself.

"What test is he talking about sir?" Sam asked as she made herself tear her look away from Jack's so she could inspect the room.

"I'm sorry I got you into this Carter. I'm afraid it's my fault they brought you here."

"Your fault?" she said while moving her look back to Jack's

"Yes" He answered while moving to sit on the bed. "It seems they can read thoughts. And when they told me what the test was about you just popped in to my mind. So I guess that's why they brought you."

"What is this test about sir?" she said as she moved to sit beside him

"They said it was a test of the mind. And could you quit it with the sir business? We're in this together, I think we can be on a first name basis. "

"A test of the mind... hmmm. So that's why you thought of me?" Sam was eyeing Jack to see his reaction to the question.

"Sure Carter" he answered with an uneasy look on his face. "You know our agreement. I come up with the problems and you with the solutions. You're the brainy type." he gave her a nervous smile.

"Well if we are going to be on a first name basis I think you can try calling me Sam, Sir. Um Jack" She said trying to hide the disappointment in her voice.

"Okay Sam" he answered with that grin she always loved. "How are you going to get us out of this one Major?"

"Why don't you tell me what's been going on since they brought you here first Jack." Jack could see that marvelous brain of hers power up in the face of the problem. He continued telling her what he had been up too since he was brought here, leaving out some of the details so he wouldn't have to explain too much. Telling her that the Guardians brought her here because he couldn' t get her out of his mind seemed to be the wrong way to go. "A test of the mind. I wonder what's that about" she said as he finished his story.

"I guess we're about to find out." answered Jack as he heard the door open and Samhir entered the room.

"The council is ready to receive you. Follow me please" he said. Jack observed Samhir carefully. He did not resemble the young man he met just earlier that day. It seemed he aged decades in just a few hours.

"What the hell happened to you?" asked Jack as he motioned Sam to follow him after Samhir.

"I'm not allowed to discuss it" was all he said as they continued walking through the palace corridors.

"This is even more beautiful then I could ever imagined" Sam said with astonishment while looking at the palace walls. "It's like the walls themselves are expanding. The amount of knowledge needed to pull something like this off is amazing! ".

Jack looked at her with a hidden smile. 'Scientists' he thought. Funny how his former disgust with just the mere mention of the word turned in to admiration. If anyone told him 3 years ago that two of his best friends would be scientists he would have proclaimed them mentally insane. And if anyone would have told him that the woman he loved would be a Scientist then he would have definitely had them locked up. The woman he loved. Jack stopped at the middle of the corridor. Funny it just came to him. In a passing thought. He eyed Sam carefully.

'I love her' he thought. No point in denying it. 'God, I'm such a loser' was his second thought. 'I've got to be captured by an alien race and threatened with death to see what was just in front of his eyes.

"Sir?" Sam's voice dragged him back to reality. She was looking at him with a concerned look.

"I thought we decided you would call me Jack, Sam" he said as he moved to catch up with her and Samhir.

"Jack" she said while she gave him one of her heart melting smiles. When they reached the gray door Jack remembered from his last meeting with the elder's council it again opened to grant them entrance to the main hall. The council was ready for them. They all were in their human form and the ceiling had changed to reflect the earth sky. Samhir showed them to two chairs that were prepared for them in from of the council.

"Greetings again Jack O'Neill and welcome Samantha Carter" they sang harmonically.

"Okay enough with the delays can we just get this over with so we can go home?" he tried to hide his nervousness with some success.

"Very well. As we explained before this test is of the mind. And your development as a race. Please close your eyes and try to think of nothing." Sam eyed them carefully.

'What are they up to' she thought. She closed here eyes and there was silence. She waited with closed eyes as long as she could till the curiosity got her. When she opened her eyes she was sitting in her room on earth. Jack was lying on the bed sleeping. He looked like he felt right at home there.

"Come back to bed Sam" he whispered to her "It's way to early to wake up!"

"Sir? Come back to bed? What is going on? "

"Are we back to the Sir thing? I thought after 2 years of marriage you'd get over that!"

"Marriage??" Sam was speechless. And that in itself was astonishing. She just stood there, watching him. She looked down at her hand to see the delicate gold band on her finger. 'Married' the word kept echoing throw her mind. And all she could feel was happiness. She closed her eyes. Trying to recollect her thoughts. When she opened them again she was back in the chair. Staring in the faces of the elder's council. And they all had the most annoyingly knowing smiles on their faces.

When Jack reopened his eyes he was on the roof of his house. It was a beautiful night. He was sure the stars themselves were working overtime so he'd have something to look at. He knew there was someone else in the house with him. He could here her sing. She was happy. He climbed down the ladder to see who she was. What he saw was Sam dressed in his shirt singing to herself while she was cooking. It was the most amazing sight, and he knew it was right. She belonged there. When she saw him she stopped working and gave him one of her trademark smiles.

"I'm glad to see you're finally down from there!" laughing she jumped on him closing her legs around his waist and giving him a kiss.

"So what do you want for breakfast Sir? And don't worry. Janet is on call incase its as bad as I think it is" "Sir? It seems we have passed to first name basis a long time ago"

"It fits you! Even after the weddings you are still my CO. you heard what Hammond said. We are sg-1 for life!" that was all she said as she kissed him again. As he closed his eyes all he could think about was 'this is so right' .

When he opened his eyes he was staring one of the old council members in the face. He was obviously grinning to himself about something. He looked at Sam. In the strange look she gave him he could read she went through a live dream just like him. He wondered what her dream was about.

"We have heard enough. Samhir show the Tau'ri representatives to their room you will be notified on our decision in 24 hours."

Jack was going to argue. He was going to tell them this has gone long enough. But from the look Samhir gave him when he opened him mouth, he decided to play along just a little longer.

"Oh yeah. You do that. Come on Carter" he said as he got up to follow Samhir.

Sam and Jack followed Samhir through the palace corridors in silence. All Sam could think about was the test. She tried to find some sense in it. Why would some ancient race care if she dreamt about marrying Jack? How was it any indication to the human race? They were not your typical humans. And the more she thought about it the more confusing it became. Her mind kept drifting to the feeling she had when she saw that ring on her finger. She had been attracted to him since day one; she couldn't pretend that she wasn' t. But marriage? The thought caught her off guard. She convinced herself long ago that a relationship between her and Jack was something best left for other realities. She loved him as a friend. That's what she kept telling herself for the past 3 years. It wasn't like that. He was her Co. she was stupid to even consider it. So why was it that her heart lost a beat every time he entered the room?

"Sam? Heellloooo Sam?" Jack was waving his hand in front of Sam's eyes trying to catch her attention. It's been over 10 minuets since she said a word and he was worried. It wasn't like Sam to be quiet. Especially in a place like this.

"Yeah Jack?"

"You were so quiet I thought something was wrong" he looked at her with concern.

"Oh I'm fine. Just thinking about stuff"

"Define stuff."

"You know. The test. This place. How to get home"

"And your conclusion was...? "

"We're in way over our heads"

"That's comforting to know Major" He was smiling. She loved to see him smile. His eyes just seem to light up. Samhir stopped in front of the door and opened it.

"I will come back for you when they have decided." Was all he said as he showed them in to the room and closed the door behind him. Jack walked to the door to check if it was open as before but to his disappointment it did not open to his touch. They were locked in.

"So..." he said as he continued to inspect the room. They were back to his 'old' room. Some one cleaned the room and placed fresh clothes for both him and Sam on the dresser as well as fresh food and drinks.

"So..." answered Sam while she was looking out the window. The view was breath taking and for a minute she lost herself in it. When Jack looked at her he caught his breath. The site of her in the window was perfect. The sun shine in her golden hair. The way the light and shadow played on her face. The way her eyes reflected and intensified the beauty she was looking at. He was having trouble tearing his look from her.

"What do you think they meant by 'a death to memory'?" He asked, trying to get his mind from the sight in front of him. He sounded nervous. As if he was sure they had failed.

"I'm not sure. But I gave it some thought and the most logical thing I could think of is that they will erase our memory." She answered without moving her gaze from the window. "So we won't remember anything from this place? Not them, not the test, anything?"

"Either that or they are going to kill us. Same result."

"Aren't we being the optimist today." He said as he gave her a sarcastic grin. 'Enough small talk' he thought. The curiosity was killing him. "What was your dream about?" He asked as he went to sit on the bed.

"My dream?" Sam moved to sit beside him. "Yes. I know you had one too. I could see it in your eyes when we sat in front of the council. So what was it about?"

"It was spooky wasn't it? I could swear I was there. On earth. It was so real. I wonder how they did it"

"Spooky. Right. My thoughts exactly." She was definitely trying to avoid answering. He could sense the uneasiness in her voice.

"So what was it about?" He continued. He was not about to let her get away with our answering.

"A man" was all she said, as her cheeks got red. "That's funny. Mine too. About a woman that is." They were sitting close on the bed. He could smell her sweet perfume that always intoxicated him.

"Oh." Was all Sam said. ' He dreamt about Sara' she thought. It was like her heart stopped beating. She knew he loved Sara. That was part of the reason she never even thought about him that way. He was a one-man woman. And Sara was it.

"I didn't dream about Sara" was all he said as he leaned down and took her hand. It was as if he could read her mind. And at that point in time some would say he could.

"Look Sam I know this is the worst time to be telling you this but I think I need to tell you what my dream was about" He was insecure in what he was doing and Sam could sense it. This was not the take-charge guy she knew Jack O'Neill to be. This was a whole other part of him she always suspected existed but only saw glimpses of. He continued as he started stroking her hand. "When I reopened my eye I was back at my house on earth. On the roof near my telescope. I could sense there was someone else in the house with me and I was right. When I climbed down the ladder I could hear someone sing. She was happy. I was happy" Then he stopped as if he was unsure if this is what he should do. His mind kept telling him all the reasons why this was wrong.

"And..." he could hear the urgency in Sam's voice. His mind screamed that this was wrong. It was illogical. It was against regulations. It had no future. But at the point his mind was no longer in charge. His heart had taken control. He reached his hand to move a single strand of her hair that got over her face. She didn't flinch at his touch. It seemed the most natural thing in the world.

"And... this" was all he said as he leaned down and kissed her. Gently he explored her lips and her mouth. Those lips he had dreamt about for 3 years were now his to possess. And the only thought that echoed throw his mind was 'this is right'. "I love you" he said when he parted from her lips, thankful that she didn't reject his kiss. He looked in to her eyes that were deep and soft and saw love in them.

"I always have" she finished his thought "Since the first time I met you". And there were no more words spoken that night as he gently pressed her down to the bed to finish what they both have started. And in another part of the palace all Samhir could do was smile.

The next morning the warm rays of the sun awakened Sam. She snuggled closer to the man beside her as if to make sure he was still there. When she opened her eyes she found herself staring into the most amazing deep brown eyes. Jack's eyes. She was still having trouble accepting the fact that this was real.

"Good morning" he said as he leaned down to kiss her.

"How long have you been up?" she asked when she finally had control of her lips again.

"A while. I didn't want to wake you". He smiled a warm sincere smile and tightened his embrace of her.

"What are we going to do?"

"I don't know about you but I am going to forget everyone else for a while. As far as I know we could die today".

"Is that why you kissed me? And told me what you dreamt about?" Sam tried to hide the disappointment in her voice. Was she just a way to ease his fear? Did she turn to him just because she needed someone to tell her it would be all right?

"I kissed you because I wanted to. I loved you since the first day I met you. I guess I just needed someone to hit me over the head so I could see it". He answered plainly. And the kiss that followed removed any suspicion from Sam's mind. They just lay there for a while. Letting each other sort his/her thoughts out, it was a comfortable silence. Sam rested her head on Jack's chest letting his warmth comfort her.

"Its been almost 24 hours" Jack broke the silence after a while.

"We should get dressed. They'll come for us soon." She finished his thought for him. Tearing herself from his arms Sam got up and reached for her clothes and went to the bathroom to wash and get dressed. Lying alone in bed Jack ran last nights' events over in his mind. He had no regrets. He was happy.

A few minutes later they were fully dressed again and sitting at the table eating the food that was prepared for them. They ate in silence exchanging knowing glances and hidden smiles, as if there was no point in words. They knew all they needed to know. As soon as they finished their meal the door opened and Samhir entered the room.

"They have reached a decision" was all he said as he mentioned them to follow him. This time he did not take them to the gate hall they were tested in. instead he showed them to a small chamber. The only furniture in that chamber were two odd looking chairs.

"Sit down" a deep voice commanded as they entered the room. A small elderly man walked out of the shadows to stand before them. "It was decided" he said " That the human race as it has developed to this point is not ready to receive the key. Yet the potential of your race is great and expanding with time. You have evolved beyond our expectations in a short time. A death to memory will come of you and you will forget all that passed since the day you came here. All memory of the guardians will be erased. In 1000 years a new subject will be chosen. A new test preformed. So it was written so it shall be done." And with that he turned and left the room leaving only Samhir to perform the sentence.

Sam looked at Jack with terror in her eyes. The old man's word cut through her heart like a knife. All memory forgotten. After all this time. After all they had been through. To have what you love and lose it. This was a sentence worse the death. In Jack's eyes she could see the same horror and pain reflected. As Samhir approached them Sam could no longer control the tears and they streamed down her cheeks in an endless flow.

"You asked me why I aged yesterday Jack" He said as he stared deep in to Jack's eyes. "I gave a part of my future so I could have a past. Humans will win the key one-day. And you are the reason. Both of you. In a 1000 years time a young boy will win the key. Inspired by the tales of the elders. He will triumph in the test and bring knowledge and peace to the people of the Tau'ri." He posed as if he was rethinking what he was about to say but decided to finish what he began.

"I am not a boy anymore. Nor am I human. I am a guardian now. And always will I be. But at a time I was known as Samhir O'Neill." And with that it all went dark.

Jack opened his eyes slowly. He had the most annoying headache. The first thing he saw was the concerned face of Daniel Jackson staring at him.

"Jack?" he asked as helped him to his feet. "Are you ok?"

"What happened?" he asked as he held his head trying to regain some sort of control on the way the room was spinning.

"I was hoping you could tell us Colonel," replied General Hammond. "Take them to the infirmary, we can finish this later"

At the other side of the gate room Jack could see Jacob Carter helping Major Carter to her feet. She was obviously been through what ever he's been through. And was in as bad a shape as he was. He could see by the strange look she gave him that she was as confused as him. He let Daniel lead him to the infirmary not really sure what had happened to him.

"What is the last thing you remember Colonel?" Asked Dr. Janet Fraser as she was examining his eyes with a flashlight.

"We were getting ready to leave for PX5663 and the gate started humming. That's the last thing I can remember"

"Me too. After that strange humming started its all a blank." added Sam from the bed beside him.

"This is very strange. It's as if someone literally erased their minds." Janet said with astonishment. "I have never seen anything like this"

"So what are you saying doctor?" Said General Hammond with a concerned look. "We can never know what that thing was or where it came from?"

"I don't think so, sir. Who ever they were they did a pretty good job in erasing their traces."

"I've heard enough. Colonel, Major get some rest. Maybe this will make more sense in the morning."

"I would like to go home sir" Said Sam "I think I'll rest better in my own bed, if you don't mind sir"

"I don't see any reason why not, Major. Unless the doctor has some objections."

"I think she'll be fine sir."

"I'll take her home," volunteered Jacob as he helped Sam down from the bed.

"I'll take you home Jack, that is if you don't mind my driving" suggested Daniel.

"Sure why not" Sam could hear Jack's reaction as she left the room to follow her father.

After a long silent drive they reached her house. The weather was cold and rain kept pouring down as if reflecting her own state of mind. Jacob drove in silence as he left Sam to her thinking. She remembered everything. When she opened her eyes at the stargate room she could hear Jack's voice saying he didn't remember a thing. She remembered everything. Every kiss, every embrace, every word that passed between them. But he didn't. All she wanted was to get out of there. To go home. To think.

Her father, after opening the door for her, made no attempt to stay. She could see the concern in his eyes. She knew he wanted to hold her and tell her everything was going to be all right. But this was something she needed to solve on her own. He gave her a hug and left her to her thoughts. She took a long bath trying to recollect her thoughts and emotions. She even managed to sleep for a while, a restless sleep that seemed to harm more the help.

It was 3 am when she heard the doorbell ring. When she opened the door she found Jack staring at her. He just stood there, in the rain. Inspecting her. It was as if he could read her mind with that deep look. They stood there for what it seemed was hours. When finally Sam motioned to him to come in.

"I remember everything," She said while turning her face away from him.

"So do I," he said as he turned her to face him. She was going to speak but he covered her mouth with his, drawing her near him to a deep passionate kiss. When they finally broke apart her look demanded explanations.

"Come on lets make some coffee and I'll explain everything".

"We were supposed to forget," He said. Finally happy there was something he could explain to her as they sat on the couch. "When I opened my eyes after we got back I remembered everything. But most of all I remembered what Samhir said. He gave a part of his future so he could have a past."

"And we were the past..." she added finally grasping what he was aiming at.

"He told us his name was O'Neill". He added with excitement.

"Are you saying that he was one of our descendants?" She looked at him with a disbelieving look.

"I don't know. You're the scientist, I'm just throwing ideas."

"Back to normal hey?" she gave him an evil grin.

"Well almost back to normal" he added as he leaned down to kiss her.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Ravital A.