Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Return of the Rain

by Rain
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Return of the Rain

Return of the Rain

by Rain

Return of the Rain
AUTHOR: Rain
EMAIL: raven_guest@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Humor, Action/Adventure, Series (Rain/Isis)
PAIRING: Jack/other
SPOILERS: none
SEASON / SEQUEL: 3; sequel to Isis
RATING: G
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: This is a follow up to Isis, please send feedback...xxxx
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Rain and Isis belong to me!!!!!!!!! x
AUTHOR'S NOTES: If you have not read Isis, this wont be as easy to understand as if you had. Please enjoy them and PLEASE send feedback as I may write more in the seires if they are well received. raven_guest@hotmail.com
Rain xxxxx

Just recently it had been very quiet at SGC, a little too quiet for my liking, it usually means something really big is going to happen, I mean huge, as in Goa'ould attacking Earth or a new and more powerful enemy that is going to wipe us all out, something really bad like that, oh well that's optimism for you.

In truth we've all been taking it a little too easy lately, to the point where we have probably forgotten what guns are, or how to go about an off-world mission, but I guess the second something happens it'll come back to us, hopefully.

Maybe I spoke too soon...

Load sirens, the sudden movements of the security team, and then.....silence.

A voice had come over the P.A. system warning of an unauthorised dialling to our location, this happens from time to time, we just assemble a security team and see what they want, then either make an alliance or send them packing, the usual. This time was different though. I missed the whole thing, in my office, attempting to catch up on some paper work. Daniel, Major Carter and Teal'c were studying samples from a planet in the control room above the Stargate...

'General, an unauthorised dial in has been established.'

'Shut it down.'

'It's too late...'

'Get security down on the floor now! SG-1. get down there.'

'General, Colonel O'Neill is in his office..'

'There's no time, just get down there.'

SG-1 get down to the Stargate in time to see the usual light show, but nothing comes through.

A few moments later, a foot appears, a bare foot with silver jewellery about the ankle, a leg follows, then the rest of her body, emerging slowly.

She is followed by a large cart which the figure appears to be pulling. She is dressed like a Goa'ould and is holding a staff weapon in each hand, upon her head is a serpent helmet, it's red eyes glowing vemonously.

The SG security have all guns pointed upon the figure when she steps slowly towards them, elegantly like a ballet dancer, until she is mid way down the ramp. She stops and places the staffs upon the ground, bowing the huge serpent head slightly in a gesture of peace.

The figure then begins to dance, similar to belly dancing, her gauzy clothing swaying with her movements. Everything about her moving is elegant, except for her head which moves jerkily, almost painfully, about her neck is a thick leather choker. Similar bands are worn about her wrists and ankles, hidden partially by the silver jewellery.

She stops and stares at them, her head inclined slightly in curiosity.

The General's voice booms from the bottom of the ramp.

'Freeze, come no further forward or we will be forced to shoot.'

She stands stock still, the cart bumping into her back before stopping also. It is a heavy, wooden cart which would take two draft horses to pull, but the figure seems to find it easy.

'Remove the helmet, slowly.'

A giggling ensues from beneath the helmet as her hands reach up to remove it. Daniel's jaw drops.

'General, it's Rain and Isis! Don't shoot.'

'I don't wish to be cruel Dr.Jackson, but Rain and Isis have probably been killed by the Goa'ould, there was no way that they would let her go.' The General looks to Daniel slowly.

By this time, the helmet has been removed and the figure stands smiling at them, her long blonde hair slightly tousled by the helmet.

'Rain!' Daniel exclaims in delight.

'Greetings Daniel dear.' She smiles warmly at him. She walks forward to embrace him, the cart bumping behind her.

The security raise their guns, ready to shoot if she moves any more.

'Hold your fire!' The General's voice booms. He walks towards Rain in disbelief.

'Told you I'd be back.' she smiles 'You didn't believe me did you!' She giggles, still holding Daniel tightly.

The cart bumps her again.

'Ow!' she turns to stare at the cart. 'I come bearing gifts!' She pulls the cover from the top of the cart and they see it is full to the brim with Goa'ould weapons, maps, and other technology.

'Where did you get all of this Isis?' The General looks at the cart in amazement.

'Long story.' She detaches the cart straps from her shoulders and walk forward to greet Teal'c and Major Carter.

'How are you all? I haven't seen you in so long!'

'We are well, as always.' Teal'c smiles, which is not a common thing for him to do.

'Where's Jack?' Rain looks at them in confusion.

'He's in his office, I've sent someone to go and get him.'

'Thank you Daniel hunny.' She sinks to the floor and sits at the bottom of the ramp. 'I'm so tired!'

'How did you get here? Didn't the Goa'ould capture you?' Sam asks carefully.

'Well, um....yes they did capture me but I escaped, pretended to be a dancer and worked my way closer to the Stargate, gathering information and all this other junk.' she indicates the cart. 'Some of the things in there are prototypes, so you will be ahead of the game....'

Colonel O'Neill sits at his desk, attempting to type up a report, but failing miserably.

'What I wouldn't give for a distraction right about now, I mean anything.' he thinks as he stares at the screen.

A soft tapping is heard at the door.

'Yes.' he barks, hoping this is the distraction he asked for.

A meek soldier pokes his head through the door timidly, he knows of O'Neill's reputation.

'You have to report to the Stargate immediately Colonel.'

'What's wrong?' Jack raises an eyebrow 'What kind of wacky alien stuff do we have to deal with today?'

'I am not sure sir, I was just told to retrieve you.'

Jack stands and follows him thinking he reminds him of Daniel. They walk down the corridors in silence until they get to the Stargate room. He opens the door and walks through.

The first thing he sees is his team gathered around the ramp, sat talking to someone, behind them are a discarded Serpent head and a heavy cart which seems to have the General's full attention.

'Good morning campers, what's the problem this time?' He walks towards the ramp seeing that the person is dressed like an exotic dancer, he raises an eyebrow thinking that maybe it is an early birthday present when the figure stands and runs towards him, a huge smile upon her face.

'JACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' The figure throws herself at him, nearly breaking his ribs with the enthusiasm of her hug.

He looks at her, his eyes widening in recognition.

'Rain?'

'Yep, I'm back, I kept my promise!'

Jack hugs her tightly, burying his face in her hair, until he realises he is being watched by the rest of the team.

'Uh...hi...Rain....how are you?'

Rain grabs him again, hugging him and showering him with kisses.

'Well, someone's pleased to see me!' He stands, flushing and grinning sheepishly.

'What are you doing here? What happened when you got back to the Goa'ould.'

'Well, it's a long story, but I'll be pleased to tell you over a cup of Tea and or coffee or a glass of water.' She smiles wearily, it's obvious that she has been through a lot.

They lead her to the Cafeteria, all happy to see their friend, glad to see that she has escaped harm.

Rain sits, clutching a glass of water in one hand, a pot of tea in the other and a huge smile which hasn't left her face since she arrived.

'So what happened Rain? Is Isis still there?'

Rain giggles. 'Of course she's still here. As to what happened....well....After I returned through the gate I was captured by my old Guard of Jaffas who had been told to guard the gate. I was taken to the Goa'ould 'court' and sentenced to torture to gather information about you all and the Tok'ra, then death. I was tortured for fifteen days with that god damned collar, each time I passed out they turned it off and beat me into consciousness. Each day they got angrier as they could not get anything out of me. After fifteen days I passed out and could not be revived so they took the collar off and took me to the infirmary to revive me in preparation for my death. It was all a rather jolly affair, anyway, got to the infirmary, regained consciousness and killed them all, god knows how, but one minute I'm lying on the examination table, the next I'm surrounded by bodies. I escaped, I stole an outfit from an exotic dancer while she was bathing and escaped. Thank goodness, they wear leather collars as it hid the wounds, which the Goa'ould had the Jaffa looking for. I worked my way around the taverns, dancing in exchange for weapons and information, they suspected nothing, I simply said that I had to avenge a friend and needed weaponry and information to do it, they believed me thank goodness. Eventually I got to the gate, killed the guards and went through, using a device I had stolen to prevent them from finding out where I had dialled out to. As they don't know it was me, they have no reason to come looking for me. And here I am.' She smiled brightly.

Daniel sat with his jaw on the table, which seemed to happen a lot around her, at how matter-of-fact she was about her torture etc., and how she could smile so brightly.

Jack stared at her, Daniel could tell he was trying desperately to hide the anger that was clearly welling up in him about how she had been treated. He stood and walked behind her, he picked up her hair and pushed it over her shoulder gently untying the leather collar from about her neck.

The rest of the team stared at the horrific wounds that covered her neck, the angry red colour highlighted as her skin was so pale.

'Oh god.' Jack said under his breath.

'It's ok Jack, it's starting to heal.' She said, trying to hide the wounds. Jack stared at her neck, he clearly felt pain just looking at it, and the anger was getting more evident.

He closed his eyes and breathed deeply, before carefully retying the collar.

'They did that to you for fifteen days?' He practically shouted. 'Fifteen days?'

'Jack, calm down hunny, there's nothing you can do about it, We're back, we're safe now, that is all that matters, not revenge.'

'I suppose.' he breathed, but it was clear he was probably thinking of a thousand ways to kill a Goa'ould slowly and painfully.

Rain poured more tea and sipped it carefully. 'What's been happening here?'

'Not a lot actually.' Sam answered. 'It's been very quiet here, which is usually a bad sign.'

Rain smiled. 'Think yourselves lucky! Quiet is good!.' She stared into the tea cup pensively.

'I haven't had tea since I left England, how sad.' she giggled slightly, but flinched a little as her neck hurt, but she hid it from Jack who was staring into his cup of coffee a little to hard.

'Jack?' Rain looked at him in concern.

He continued to stare into the cup.

'JACK!' Rain said loudly. Jack jumped slightly and looked at her.

'Are you ok Jack?'

'Yeah, sure.'

'Well don't go planning on destroying the Goa'ould single handedly, I want a piece of them too!' She smiled in the way that made him melt (although he would never admit it.) and he relaxed slightly.

'How are you so calm? Aren't you angry?'

'I'm absolutely furious, but it's not going to get me anywhere setting out to kill them all! I'm one person...well two...but you know what I mean, I can only do so much!'

'What came of Mekaya?' Teal'c asked stoically.

'He is well, he is with his family, I begged with the Goa'ould not to torture him so they let him go as my last request. He has changed his name and is with his family with the Tok'ra.'

'That is good news.'

'Yes, it is, thank god I didn't get him hurt.' Rain stared into her cup again.

'So what are you going to do now Rain? Isis?' Daniel asked, trying to change the subject.

'I don't know, exotic dancing is not something I see myself doing if I don't have to' she giggled 'Unless any of you have a birthday coming up?' she collapsed into giggles at Daniel's expression.

'Don't worry Daniel, I'm kidding hun. Anyway, Isis found it degrading. Exotic dancing is very different on Earth, a lot more dangerous, the Goa'ould do not expect you to strip thank goodness.' she giggled.

Jack looked at her in surprise, raising an eyebrow, as did Teal'c.

Rain sighed audibly. 'I really don't know what I am going to do now.'

'You could stay here, I'm sure your experiences and background would be invaluable to us.' Daniel said, getting excited.

'That's not a bad idea Daniel.' Sam looks to Rain. 'You are friends with the Asguard, aren't you?'

'Very close to the Asguard, especially Thor, I've met his family, been to his house for dinner etc. etc. She giggled. 'I also have friends among the Tolland and many other races, especially the Tok'ra. I also speak just about every language there is as I am able to assimilate information from other cultures.'

'You can speak other languages?' Daniel looks at her excitedly.

'English, Spanish...all European languages, Chinese, Japanese etc. etc., Hebrew, Egyptian, Ancient Egyptian, many many more, including those of the Goa'ould, Asguard, Tollan etc. too many to mention.'

She smiles modestly and sips her tea again.

Daniel begins to speak to her in rapid Ancient Egyptian, very excitedly and she replies to all he says.

'Wow!' Daniel exclaims.

'It's nuthin hun, it's all Isis, she can learn any language from hearing it only once, or learn it from other people's heads. I'm still impressed by what she is capable of.'

Rain looks at Jack, who is being uncharacteristically quiet, still staring at his coffee, which by now must be cold. She sighs and he looks up at her.

'Are you ok?' He mouths.

She smiles and nods. 'Are you?' she mouths back.

He looks back at his coffee and half nods.

Daniel can barely contain his excitement that someone can speak the languages that he can.

'I have to go and talk to the General about this.' he exclaims and leaves rather quickly nearly falling over several tables.

'I should get going too, I gotta finish those samples.' Sam says seeing that Rain wishes to talk with Jack alone.

'I must also leave.' Teal'c says, standing and following Sam.

'Jack? What is it?' Rain looks at him in concern.

Jack looks up and realises everyone has gone. 'Where did they go?'

'Daniel went to talk to General Hammond, Sam and Teal'c left to give us some time to talk.....'

Jack looks back at his cup.

'What's wrong Jack, talk to me.'

'It's nuthin.'

Rain grabs his arm and drags him into the corridor.

'Where are we going?' he asks.

'Your office.'

'Uh...my office is that way.' He points in the other direction.

'Well I don't know, I've never been to your office!' She laughs at herself.

Jack walks off to his office, Rain following, both in silence.

They finally get to his office, Jack opens the door slowly and holds it for her, then closes it and locks it. He walks over to his desk and sits behind the computer and stares at the screen.

'What the hell is wrong with you Jack?' Rain shouts, her hands on her hips, her bangles shaking audibly.

It is as if he doesn't hear her, he just keeps staring at the screen. Rain closes her eyes and asks him telepahically this time. His eyes widen, but still no response.

'God Jack! I have been through hell! I went through all that junk just to come back and see you all, but you ignore me! I may as well not be here! I was better off with the Goa'ould, I'd rather be tortured than endure this!.' Tears have begun to fill her eyes and she sinks into a seat opposite him, tucking her knees up to her chin and burying her face in her arms, causing her to exhale sharply at the pain.

Jack looks at her in pain, as if maybe he will also cry, he stands and slowly walks over to her.

'He puts his hand under her chin and lifts it until she is looking at him.

'Ow! God Jack! What are you trying to do? Kill us?'

'I'm sorry, I didn't think.' He walks away from her, staring at a picture on his wall, but not really seeing it.

She stands painfully and stands behind him, putting her arms around his stomach and resting her head on his back. She breathes deeply, taking in the smell of his aftershave and the coldness of his jacket.

He places his head against the wall and breathes deeply.

'Jack?'

Rain hears him growling deep in his throat, he turns quickly, his eyes bright with anger.

'What is wrong with you?'

'What do you mean?' She stares at him bewildered.

'Why come back?'

'Excuse me?' She looks at him in confusion. 'Because I promised I would.'

'But nothing has changed, they still want you dead, and you are still so god damned calm about it! Have you seen those marks on your neck? What is wrong with you?'

'Jack, I don't understand. You're scaring me.'

He frowns and attempts to breathe calmly, but then he turns and punches the wall.

'They tried to kill you. They tortured you for fifteen days, they put you through hell. Why come back? Why not try to kill them, get revenge?' He is breathing so hard he looks as though he is about to hyperventilate.

'You'd rather I tried to get revenge against a whole race, die trying and never hear from me again?'

Rain drags him over to the couch and sits him down.

'Breath damn it Jack.' She rubs his back as he tries to calm down.

'Jack, what has happened? I thought you'd be pleased to see me. Do you want me to go back?'

'No, god no, god don't leave me again.' He sounds like a frightened child. Rain holds him close and strokes his hair.

'Hunny, what's going on?'

'You left me, I thought you were dead, all this time I have been trying to act like nothing was wrong, that you were going to come back, but it as more time passed, it became less likely to happen. Finally I just gave up. I mourned for you. I thought you were dead.'

'You sound sorry that you were wrong.' She frowns. 'Jack, thinking of you is all that kept me going, I nearly lost my mind from the pain, fifteen days of hell, but I got out of it. I went through hell trying to get to the gate. I had to kill men from my own guard, to get back to you. But you don't seem all that pleased to see me.'

Jack looks at her, deep into her eyes and she sees that his chin is wobbling and his eyes are filling with tears. She grabs him and holds him close, sobbing into his shoulder while he sobs into hers. So many days of pain for both of them, having to hide it for so long that they are both exhausted from it.

They both cry until Rain begins to hiccup, she lifts her head slowly and looks at him.

'I'm so sorry, Jack, God I'm so sorry.' She says between sobs.

He holds her close again, being careful of her neck, just wanting to hold her, scared she may leave again if he lets go.

'I'm not going anywhere Jack, whatever happens, I'm staying, I can't be without you again.' She breathes deeply, trying to stop the sobbing.

He nods his head, his eyes dry now, his breathing normal.

'You know I don't break my promises.'

He nods again as it is all he can manage.

She smiles.

'God, we're such babies.' she giggles and holds him closer, if it's physically possible.

He nods again, just taking in as much of her as he can.

She wipes her eyes and sniffs, giggling again, feeling awkward.

'Can I ask, did I leave my anklet here last time?'

Jack stands and walks to his desk drawer, pulling out a piece of red cloth and unwrapping it. He takes out the anklet and hands it to her carefully.

'You keep it, I just wanted to know what happened to it.'

'It's all I had left of you.'

She smiles as she reads something from him.

'You took it with you on all your missions?'

He nods again and takes her hand in his. She smiles, her eyes dry again.

'Why?'

'It's stupid, I'm not telling.' He looks down at his boots, not the same arogant, guarded Jack as he had been earlier and he was feeling very vulnerable because of it.

'You don't have to if you don't want to, but I'd like to know...'

'Ok, but don't laugh. Promise?'

'Of course.'

'I always felt like nothing bad could ever happen to me when you were with me, you were like my strength, I just wanted to take a piece of that with me when everything else was unfamiliar.' He looks at his boots again, embarressed. She pulls him close again and kisses his cheek.

'God, I missed you Jack. I have to admit something though.'

'What's that?'

'Could you undo my collar a second please.'

He reaches behind her neck and carefully unties the collar and hands it to her.

'You see this string that ties up the collar?'

'Sure, it looks like a shoelace.'

'Well, not quite, I...um...stole your boot lace before I left, it's all I could take of yours that wasn't obvious.' She blushes. 'Stupid huh?'

'Nope. Kinda cute actually.' He kisses her cheek softly.

They both smile at each other, both slightly embarrassed.

A voice comes over the P.A system.

'Colonel O'Neill and Isis report to General Hammond's office.'

Rain looks to Jack. 'Does that mean I can stay here then?' she giggles.

Jack looks at her, concern on his face.

'What's wrong Jack?'

'I don't know, I'm hoping nothing. We should go.'

They both walk down the corridors in silence. Rain can tell Jack is concerned that General Hammond will send her back, but she can not read any such intentions from Hammond.

They arrive at his office and knock before entering.

'Come in.'

Jack pushes the door open and walks through.

'Please sit down Colonel, and you Isis.' he nods to the chairs.

Rain notices that the rest of SG-1 are sat around the table and Daniel smiles at her brightly. She smiles back, but Jack is too worried to notice.

'What's up General?' Jack asks, trying to sound nonchalant.

'That depends Colonel, we have a question we need to ask our friend here.'

Rain raises an eyebrow.

'Daniel has told me of your extensive knowledge of languages, also of your friendship with many other races including the Asguard, adding to this is your background with the Goa'ould, what I mean to say is, we may have a position available for you here, if you wish to take it.'

Jack's eyes widen in amasement.

Rain smiles widely. 'We would be honoured General.'

Hammond looks at her with a smile. 'It would mean wearing slightly more clothing, of course.'

'Of course.' she giggles.

Rain jumps up and runs over to the General and hugs him tightly, kissing him on the forehead.

'Thank you General, so much.'

He smiles at her then realises the team are giggling and he tries to look stern again.

'You mean she can stay?' Jack asks.

'Yes Colonel.'

Jack sighs in relief then smiles at Rain.

The rest of the team smiles at Rain, including Teal'c who looks pleased to have her stay with them.

'But I will need to talk to you first, we have a lot to dicuss, if the rest of you could excuse us.'

The rest of team left quietly, Jack with them, he walked back to his office smiling widely (shocking many soldiers on the way) to wait for Rain.

Two hours later Jack heard a knock on his office door, he woke with a start and stood to open it.

Rain stood there grinning. 'Can I come in?'

'I'm not sure.....I'll have to kick out all the other exotic dancers.....sure what the hey.'

She pushed past him with mock anger and threw herself on a chair.

'Man, he doesn't miss a beat does he?'

'What do you mean?'

'The General.'

'What about him.'

'Well, he guessed about us.'

'Really?' Jack's eyes grew wide.

'He says we have to end it, but he says what we do outside of work is our problem and what he doesn't know won't hurt him.' She grinned. 'He's a sweetie really.'

Jack raised an eyebrow. 'General Hammond a....erm...'sweetie'?'

Rain giggles 'He is, he's lovely.'

'So what does your new job involve?'

'I am to be Daniel's assistant, accompany him on missions, the usual, poor guy has to share his office with me.' she smiles.

'You have to share an office with Daniel? You poor creature.'

'JACK!' she throws a bangle at him. 'It's because of Daniel that I am able to stay, and you know you like him really.'

'Well, like is a very strong word....'

'Jack! You are so mean.' She throws the rest of her bangles at him, they bounce of him and hit the ground with many ping noises.

'Are you done?' He bends down and picks them up.

'Nope.' She looks around for something else to throw, but can't find anything.

He hands the bangles back to her.

'So missy, thought about where you are going to live?'

'Oh, I didn't think of that. I don't have a bank account, national insurance...etc. etc.'

'Well, you could......er......live with me til you find somewhere....I guess...if...you...er.....want to.'

She throws her arms around his neck and hugs him. 'That would be wonderful thank you.'

'But you'll have to cook, clean, do the washing, ironing...the usual.' He grins.

She looks at him in mock horror. 'Do you know who we are? We do not clean, that is servant's work.' she giggles.

'Sure, I don't mind doing that junk.' she kisses his cheek.

'I was kidding.'

'I don't mind, really.'

'hmmmm, well, we can both do it.'

'ok.' she grins.

'So what now?'

'Oh, I have to go to the Infirmary to get a health check, make sure I'm not carrying evil diseases etc.' she grins. 'I'll be back in about an hour, I hope.' 'I'll come with you, I got nothing else to do.'

The two of them walk down the corridor, huge grins on both their faces until they get to the infirmary.

'Hi again Dr.Fraser!.' Rain beams at the Dr.

'I heard you were back, but I didn't believe it.' She smiles warmly. 'Come for a check up?'

'Kinda.' she grins.

'Would you like to take a seat?' she looks at Colonel O'Neill. 'Are you ok Colonel?'

'Sure, I just have to escourt this Goa'ould around, General Hammond still doesn't trust her.' he says with a wry smile, at which Dr.Fraser raises an eye brow and Rain throws a pillow at him.

'What are you trying to do? Start an intergallactic war? Those actions could count as hostile.' He smiles.

'Ok, I won't throw another pillow, I don't wish to mess up the infirmary, or start an intergallactic war, although you know the Goa'ould would love it if I did, might get them off my back actually.' she says with a grin.

'hmmmmmmm.' Jack pretends to frown.

Dr.Fraser removes Rain's collar. She frowns in concern.

'These look painful.' she says looking at Rain.

She giggles. 'They are! But they are begining to heal.'

'Take some antiseptic cream to put on the wounds, it will prevent infection and will hopefully help it heal. Shame Teal'c doesn't have any more of that moss substance.'

'It is, but I'm ok.' she smiles brightly, maybe a little too brightly from the pain.

'Well, I think I'm done with 'this Goa'ould' you're fine Rain and uh Isis.' she adds carefully.

'Thank you Dr.Fraser.' Rain smiles at her before she is escourted from the room by Colonel O'Neill.

'Hey mister, call me 'that Goa'ould' again and I may have to cut you another orafice.' she smiles, then feins mock horror. 'But that would mean twice the wise cracks.....no, I guess I'll have to forget that one.'

'Ha ha ha.' Jack says sarcastically as they walk to Daniel's office.

Daniel is sat at his desk, pretending to do paperwork, he is in actual fact waiting for Rain, excessively excited about having someone to talk to about Archaeology and languages. He hears a knock and stands to open it.

'Hello Rain, uh Colonel.' he smiles slightly awkwardly, not having expected the Colonel.

'Colonel O'Neill has to escourt me, I am a goa'ould after all.' she giggles.

'Oh...I..uh see. Make yourself at home.....'

'Thanks Daniel.' Jack takes a seat.

'....uh..Rain.' Jack looks at him. 'And of course you are always welcome Jack.' Rain smiles to him.

She looks at Daniel intently and he hears Rain's voice in his head. 'It's ok Daniel, he's just being a little protective.' she smiles at him and blinks innnocently when Jack stares at her.

'It's ok, it's understandable.' he says outloud, forgetting to say it in his head. He flinches not knowing what to expect.

'Huh?' Jack looks at him in confusion.

'It's ok Jack, I was talking to Daniel in his head to see what...uh...languages he is familiar with.'

'Hmmmmm.' He looks at her like he doesn't believe her, and she knows it, but he is too happy to have her back to say anything more.

'Uh, I guess I'll just leave you two alone, you probably have a lot to talk about.....' he opens his mouth as if to say something else but stops, and starts to back out the door when he hear's Rain in his head say 'You are so sweet Jack.'

'Hey missy, watch your tongue, I mean....uh.....' he keeps walking out of the door, flushing slightly.

'What did you say to him?' Jack asks curiously.

'Apparently a serious insult.' she giggles.

Daniel and Rain spend the afternoon talking about all that Daniel loves, and he is exstatic to see she is as enthused about it all as he is.

'So what got you interested in Egypt?' he asked looking at her intently.

'Gee, could be having an Egyptian goddess inside me.' she giggles 'Sorry, Jack's sarcasm is having a bad affect. I was interested in it before I even met Isis, it was a private hobby, I had no one to share it with, so I spent any free time I had in the British Museum and reading books.' she breathed deeply.'It has always fascinated me, and now to find that the gods and goddesses did exist, but not in the way I thought, well it's slightly mind blowing.' she smiles. 'You?'

'I don't remember how it started, possibly at school, but I just got hooked, any information I could find, books, websites, museums...you name it. Learning Ancient Egyptain was just the next step, then all the other languages followed.' 'I never learnt the language as I never had time, but Isis just installed it in my brain, it's wonderful to be able to just speak any language, even if I've never heard it before. A little scary sometimes actually, but incredible.'

Daniel looks at her with a gentle envy and fascination.

'What about your previous life?' her eyes widened slightly. 'Sorry, you don't have to tell me.....I shouldn't have asked.' He looked appologetic and uncomfortable.

She smiled serenly. 'It's ok, I don't mind.'

'It...um...how do I put this....sucked.' she smiled. 'Deadend job, working all hours god sent, getting paid squat, trying to pay for a horrible rat infested dump of a flat, starving myself as I had no other outlet for my misery, no friends, no family, hell, not even a cat. Finally saved up enough money to get to America. Got Greencard, another sucky job, a worse appartment, this time with cockroaches.' she shudders. 'I was tempted to move back to jolly old England, until one day, I get a knock at my door, it was Isis, she was in a very bad state, her host was dying. I took her in, looked after her, listened to her stories of needing a host, but I thought she was feverish. I wished it was true. She asked if I would be her new host, I said yes, just wanting to make her feel better as the host was dying. I had a new purpose in life, she had a new body. We left the old body there, everyone thought it was mine as no one knew me, not even the land lord. I was announced dead, so in theory I don't exist.' she smiles again. 'We found the gate, went to the Goa'ould homeworld and the rest is, well, history, I suppose.' she stopped for breath and looked at Daniel, he looked so sorry for her, and she could read that he was getting ready to shower her with sympathy for her terrible former life.

'Daniel, it's ok, I have no regrets and I am happy now, I have friends, a new adopted family, a job, a home, a great office.' she giggles and looks around.

'I'm so sorry though...'

'Stop right there. Don't be sorry, see above sentence!' she smiles warmly, not a trace of sadness about it.

'Ok.' he smiles. 'Uh...adopted family?'

'Yep, you lot!' she smiles, 'You're stuck with me now.' she giggles into her bangles.

'That's not a bad thing.' he smiles at her, thankful that he's finally found someone that seems to understand him.

'I'll ask again in six months when you want your office back to yourself.' she giggles.

'It won't happen I promise.' he looks at her seriously, then smiles.

'Great, so where's your desk going?' she giggles at his expression, until he realises she's joking and joins in with the laughter.

Meanwhile Jack is sat in his office, again attempting his paperwork, and again failing. This time, he can't work for thinking about Rain, he's spent the last two hours daydreaming about her, which he finds a little worrying. 'You're getting soft Jack,' he says aloud, softly. 'It's old age.' he smiles then frowns, feeling a little confused about the thousand different emotions surfacing. 'Oh well.....' he looks at the screen of his computer. 'Paperwork!' He attempts to concentrate, but again fails, he sinks back into his seat and gives in to daydreaming abour her again.

'That's it!' he stands 'I gotta go see her, this is driving me nuts.' he thinks. 'I need an excuse though....'

A knock at the door, Rain stands to open it looking at Daniel wondering if he's expecting anyone, although she's already guessed who it is.

'Greetings Colonel, checking up on me?' she smiles widely before letting him in.

'No, you...uh...have to get a uniform. The clothes you are wearing now are too distracting for some of the soldiers and it is distracting them from their work, Hammond's orders.'

Rain bursts out laughing and says in his head 'Who is it distracting?' she raises an eyebrow and smiles in a knowing way. 'I know you haven't done anything since I came back mister!' she whispers in his head again.

His eyes widen as he tries to work out how she knew, while trying to hide his intense blushing.

'Ok, Colonel, but you'll have to show me where to go....' she gestures to the door, while he walks out, she turns to Daniel and mouths. 'He's so sweet!' and giggles when Daniel raises an eyebrow.

'Having the same withdrawal symptoms as me?' she asks him inside his head as they walk down the corridor. He jumps slightly, 'I wish you wouldn't say that so loud!'

'Uh...Jack,' she whispers 'I said it telepathically.' she smiles. 'A little jumpy aren't you Colonel?' she grins.

He grabs her shoulders and gently steers her the way they have just come, to his office, he pushes her in, checks no one is around and closes the door behind him.

Rain raises an eyebrow. He looks exhausted suddenly, he sighes deeply.

'Do you have any idea of the affect you have on me?' his eyes flash with panic and confusingly, affection.

'If it's anything like the affect you are having on me, it's very very scary and disorientating.'

'YES!' he breathes but softens when he looks at her. She tilts her head slightly.

'Driving you nuts? Making you want to come running to me? Can't stop thinking about me? Cause that's what I got!' she smiles, but is slightly worried.

'Yep.' he leans against the wall.

'Fifty bucks says that in a month you'll be sick of me.'

'That'll be the easiest fifty bucks I'll ever have made.' he smiles slightly.

She slumps against the wall next to him.

'It'll get easier.'

'Will it?' he looks at her.

'It has to, can't get any harder.' she giggles 'Poor Daniel, must be confused as hell.'

He smiles slightly and sinks down the wall until he is sitting.

'Just act like you hate me.'

'huh? Act like I hate you? How will that achieve anything?'

'I don't know, I thought maybe it would be easier if you hate me here, but it'll just be all the more confusing.' she said with a sigh. 'God, I'm exhausted, I'm not used to coping with this many emotions in one day.'

When it was finally time to go home, Jack drove Rain back to his house, desperately trying to remember the state he had left the house in when he had left for work this morning, praying that it is at least relitively neat.

Rain smiled from the seat next to him. 'Hunny, it could be a shed and I'd be happy.'

'It may not be much better so don't get excited.' he murmered.

They pulled up at his house, one which Rain thought was entirely too big for just one person, must get very lonely she thought sadly, rememebering that it had once housed three.

Jack unlocked the door slowly and asked her to wait on the doorstep so he could inspect the damage.

She giggled. 'Jack, don't be silly, even if it is a tip, there's no way you can tidy it up now.'

'I guess, but I appologise in advance.' he said letting her past.

She smiled at him warmly, before walking through to the lounge.

'Oh my god!.' she exclaimed. Jack flinched as he locked the door, thinking it must be bad.

'Jack do you have no hobbies? This house is immaculate!' she smiled at him.

He exhaled in relief. 'Thank goodness,' he thought.

'I'm gunna be scared to eat here, in case I make a mess!' she giggled.

She looked around in amasement, she had always thought that a persons house was both an indication of a person's personality and possibly their state of mind. Jack clearly didn't want to leave room for thought, which was why his house was so tidy. She looked at the model fighter jets in awe, and giggled when she found a copy of MAD magazine in the coffee table.

'Wow! They still make MAD! Very cool.' she smiled. Then looked down to make sure she wasn't trailing mud through the house. She decided it safer to take off the army boots she had been given before they left. It felt strange wearing anything upon her feet, for so long she had been walking around barefooted. She placed the boots by the door and stood looking uncomfortable until Jack indicated she should sit down.

'Make yourself at home.' He grinned sheepishly.

'Thank you.'

'Can I get you anything to eat or drink?'

'I'm fine thank you.' She smiled.

'Let me show you to your room.'

She followed him to a room which had probably been his son's.

'Are you tired?' He looked at her in concern.

'Truthfully......exhausted.'

'Ok, I'll let you sleep then, see you in the morning, help yourself to anything. I'll wake you when it's time to get up.' He bent down and kissed her softly on the forehead. She closed her eyes and smiled.

'Goodnight Jack. Thank you for everything.'

'It's nuthin, you have saved my life a thousand times.....' he grinned, slightly uncomfortable. 'See you in the morning.'

'Night.'

Jack found he was having trouble sleeping when he looked at the clock and found it said 3am and he couldn't remember having drifted off. 'Unintentional insomniac again huh Jack?' he thought. 'She stops you working, she stops you sleeping, hell I doubt you could even function without her now.' he turned over, away from the clock's harsh neon numbers. 'But you wouldn't have any other way though would you?' he smiled.

The next morning he was awoken by singing from the kitchen. It took him a moment to realise he wasn't being robbed by singing theives, must be Rain he thought. He closed his eyes again, feeling warm and contented, her soft voice being the most soothing thing he had ever had the pleasure of hearing. Apart from having gotten very little sleep, he actually felt quite good. He got up, reluctantly, put on a dressing gown and walked out to the kitchen.

'Good morning Starshine.' she giggled. 'How you feeling?' She walked over and kissed him on the cheek, she was already dressed in her new uniform, although it looked damned good on her he thought. She tousled his hair, which stuck up at all angles, which hse thought was ever so cute. She giggled.

'You're already dressed?' he raised an eyebrow.

'I had to, I don't own any clothes, otherwise I would have had to come out here in what I slept in.' she said with a grin.

'And what, dare I ask, was that?' He asked.

'Nada!' she smiled mischeieviously.

'I wouldn't have complained, I'm open minded.'

'I'm sure you are Colonel.' she giggled. 'I'm making breakfast, how does eggs and bacon sound? I made pancakes too, although I've never understood how anyone can eat them for breakfast. But...uh...bear in mind, I ...uh...haven't cooked in about 5 years!' she smiled shyly.

'I could get used to this.' he grinned as she put the various items upon a plate and put them on the table, with cutlery and maple syrup which she eyed with slight suspicion.

He sat down and began to eat.

'You not having anything?' he asked when he noticed she hadn't cooked anything for herself.

'I'm not hungry right now, I'll get something later thank you. Anyway I know better than to eat anything I have cooked. Wasn't fit for the roaches when I last did it.' she giggled.

'What are you saying? This is great.' he looked like he really meant it, and she smiled shyly again.

A soft pattering was heard on the windows and Rain looked up excitedly.

'Please excuse me.' she said with a smile as she walked over to the patio door and opened it wide, running outside into the rain, which was getting heavier by the second.

He looked at the door in complete shock, his jaw on the table.

'Ok, I just gotta go see what she's doing.' he said quietly to himself. He put down the knife and fork and walked to the door quietly.

What he saw put a huge smile on his face. 'That girl is crazy.' he said to himself as he watched her dancing in the rain, giggling like a little girl.

'You're gunna catch cold.'

'I can't catch colds!' she giggled as she continued to run around and dance like a ballet dancer, giggling all the while. Jack watched her, thinking how sweet she was, when he heard a knock at the door.

He reluctantly walked over to it, opened it and was only half surprised to find Daniel standing on his doorstep.

'I'm so glad your up, I thought I'd woken you, do you usually get up this early?'

'What time is it?' he looked at him in confusion.

'Just gone 6am.'

'Oh my god. The girl's crazy.' He walked away shaking his head and Daniel followed him in. Jack walked over to the window and continued to watch Rain.

'How can I help you at this time of the morning Danny-boy .' Not once did he look at Daniel, his full attention on Rain.

'I actually came to see....what is she doing?'

'Rain dance.' he raised an eyebrow and smiled.

'She's gunna catch pneumonia.'

'I told her that.'

At that moment Rain looked at the window and saw Daniel and Jack watching her, she suddenly became very self conscious. She walked in, blushing. 'We never got much rain on the Goa'ould home world.' she said in way of an excuse.

Jack smiled at her. Daniel picked his jaw up off the floor.

'Good morning Daniel. you're just in time for breakfast.' she smiled at him warmly.

'I'm ok thank you, I actually came to see you about a call I got last night, I couldn't sleep because of it, and I couldn't wait any longer, so I had to come over.'

'And risk the wrath of the Colonel?' she said in mock horror. He smiled at her sarcastically, but it was very soft.

'What's up Daniel, have they just released a new book on languages from other planets?' Jack grinned, before walking back to the table. 'I'd take a shower missy, so those clothes can dry, and so that neither of you catch a cold.'

'I already told you, we can't catch cold, but I guess the clothes do need to dry.' She took of the jacket and was starting to remove her t-shirt when Daniel began to blush and Jack coughed loudly.

'What's wrong?'

'You doing a strip tease?'

'No....oh...oops sorry, didn't think.' She put the jacket on the radiator and walked into the bathroom.

'You coming Daniel, we can talk in here.'

'You can what?' Jack looked up at her in complete disbelief. 'You want Daniel to watch you take a shower?'

'Don't be silly. But what's the problem, you have a shower curtain, it's not like he's going to see anything, and anyway, he's a friend, neither of us have any kinda sexual tension crap going on.' she grins like she can't believe why it is a problem. Daniel's jaw is back on the floor.

'Sexual tension crap?'Jack mouths to himself.

'Fine, I'll be out in a minute, can one of you come take thess clothes and put them on the radiator for me?'

'Sure.' Daniel found his tongue again.

'Ohhhhhh no you don't. Sit!' Jack says and walks into the bathroom, where Rain hands the clothes to him from behind the curtain.

Jack puts them on the radiator and sits down, still completely stunned.

'She is gunna cause me a nervous breakdown.' he says before picking up the knife and fork again.

'I HEARD THAT!' came a voice from the bathroom.

'Can't believe she maneged to get me up before 6am! That's a first.' Jack says, still stunned. Daniel still sits with his mouth open staring in the direction of the bathroom.

'Trying to catch flies?' Jack asks, having regained himself.

Daniel snaps out of it and sits down oppostie Jack.

They sit in silence and wait.

They hear singing, in a foreign langugage, Daniel inclines his head trying to work out what she is singing. He raises an eyebrow and smiles at Jack.

'What's she singing?' he looks a little worried.

'Can't you tell by the tune?'

'Nope.'

'It's Greensleeves.'

'Excuse me, Green what?'

'Greensleeves, it's an English song. Henry the 8th apparently wrote it.'

'Right........' he continues to listen, still not knowing what it is, but appreciating it all the same.

'I get the feeling life won't be boring from now on here, huh?' Daniel smiles at him

'Ahhhhh, I'm getting too old for all this, early mornings, a proper breakfast, an excessively attractive woman trying to innocently strip infront of us.' He grins. 'Then again, maybe not.'

The sound of the water stops and Rain walks out, with a towel about her head and another wrapped tightly around her waist.

'Oh my god.' Jack exclaims.

'What did I do now?' she looks confused.

'Nuthin, just sit down Rain.' Jack smiles at her innocence. 'Been that long since you've been around Earth bound men, huh?'

'I don't understand.'

'Don't worry, just don't ever walk around the base like that, you'd be like the Pied Piper of Hamlin, just with men following you instead of rats.'

She raises an eybrow. 'Oh dear. Sorry. I'm not used to human clothes anymore. Anyway, this towel is more than I was wearing when I arrived yesterday.'

'I know.' Jack says with a grin. She pretends to slit her eyes at him, but giggles instead.

'I gotta wait for my clothes to dry, I haven't anything else.'

'We need to take you shopping.' Jack smiles.

'Ew! I hate shopping!'

'My kinda woman.' Jack grins. Rain giggles. Daniel just stares.

'So Daniel hunny, what did you have to tell me?'

Daniel contues to stare into space.

Jack claps his hands infront of Daniel's face. 'Still with us there?'

Rain smiles. 'Sorry, didn't get much sleep last night.' Daniel says.

'It's ok. What caused you to lose that sleep hun?' She giggles, he still looks a little dazed.

'Oh...it was um.....oh yes,' he suddenly gets excited again. 'General Hammond called me at home, which is a first and faxed me a message they got through the Stargate, it was engraved upon a tablet which was pushed through, but no one came through with it, they suspect it came from a planet inhabited by a humaniod species we haven't encountered before, I spent all night looking at it, but can't make it out. It is very like Heretic, with lines instead of symbols, but then half way through it changes to symbols.' He stops for breath and pulls out the fax from his pocket and hands it to Rain. She stares at it for a second, the her eyes widen, she stands, grabs her damp clothes from the radiator and runs into the bathroom.

Daniel looks worried. 'I'd get dressed Colonel....'

'Right on it.' Jack stands, rushes to get changed and finds Rain and Daniel stood waiting for him.

'You gunna tell us what it said?'

'Please just hurry.' Rain looks genuinely worried which is a first, and she'd been through hell.

Jack quickly started the car off and they drove to the base, in silence.

When they arrived, Rain ran ahead, her damp hair trailing behind her, as Jack and Daniel tried to keep up.

They arrived at General Hammond's office, Jack and Daniel breathless, Rain trembling with what looked like surpressed anger, the fear gone, her eyes gleamed.

'General Hammond, we have to talk to you.' she walked straight into his office. He looked up and saw how insensed Rain was.

'Is everything ok Rain?'

'No, General, it isn't, close the Iris immediately, block all dial ins from the planet you recieved the tablet, but first send the tablet back.'

'What's going on?'

'Please, do these things, then I will explain.' He took one look at her face, and picked up his phone and called the stargate control centre.

'Now are you going to tell me what's wrong?' He looked at her in concern, she clearly had an affect upon him too.

'The tablet, it said, death to all who inhabit this land, if no response is recieved in two days we will take it as our own, your children will be killed in front of you, your women our slaves and your men will die slowly, their screams will reach the heavens. The bottom half was pictural ways in which they will kill us.' She breathed slowly. 'The Goa'ould encountered them before, a similar tablet was recieved. The Goa'ould underestimated them, they caused havoc. They barely managed to defeat them, they killed any who were caught and the rest returned through the gate. Their technology is far more advanced than ours.' She stopped and looked at the General as he considered what she said. 'Let me send back a reply.'

He was quiet for a moment. Clearly a little too much to take in at that time in the morning.

'Ok, but may I dictate for you?'

She smiled weakly. 'Of course, but we must send it in stone, otherwise it will be an insult.'

He sighed and picked up the phone again.

'I need you to find me a slab of limestone, the same size as the tablet. Don't ask questions just do it!'

He sank back into his seat. 'Well Isis, I think you may have saved us from an attack.'

'Not yet I haven't General, they are not a patient people and torture is entertainment on the homeworld, they thrive on it, always trying to find new forms to draw out the death.' she sighed. 'Not my favourite people, I have to say.' She sighs.

'Isis, go rest, you look tired, we'll call you when the stone is found.'

'Ok General, but if anything goes wrong let me know, I've dealt with them, they may remember me.' she smiles grimly. 'Not somehting I'm proud of though.' she said sadly before inclining her head in respect and leaving the room.

They make their way to Daniel's office and have barely sat down when Major Carter and Teal'c knock on the door and enter.

'Is everything ok? What's happened?' Sam asks.

Rain looks up from her handwriting practice of the tablet and explains.

'Oh, but the situation is under control?'

'Not yet I'm afraid.' Rain looks weary suddenly. Jack looks to her in concern.

'Is everything ok Rain?' He asks.

'I can hear them, all of them , every voice, in my head, it's horrible, they crave new victims, I doubt they will be happy with a reply. They will probably try to attack anyway.'

'You can hear them?' Sam looks at her in astonishment.

'The second I read what the tablet said, I heard them all, screaming with pleasure at the thought of new victims...' she cringes. 'Almost as bad as the Goa'ould....but not quite.' she sighs and returns to her writings, explaining the meaning of each symbol to Daniel as she writes it. She cringes every now and then, the voices clearly agitating her.

'Can you speak with them?' Teal'c asks, clearly distressed to see Rain upset.

'Yes....but I don't want to.' she smiles, but it is painful.

'Can you not tell them to leave us alone?' Daniel looks to her.

'They would love that, victims begging, makes the experience more enjoyable. Even if I told them, without fear, without threat, they would enjoy it, would make them want to do it even more.'

She rubs her eyes and whispers quietly 'shut up, shut up.' and sighs dejectedly when they clearly don't.

Jack watches her, the concern etched on his face, he just wants to reach out and hold her, but restrains himself, though it is starting to hurt him, so he begins to image what these creatures look like, each image more gruesome, two heads, fangs, blood dripping from their mouths.

'Do you know the most worrying thing? They don't look any different to us.' she looks to Jack. 'At least you would half expect it if they did look like that.' she half smiles. He sighs and returns to thinking about Rain. She smiles at him wearily and tries to speak to him in his head. He yells and clutches his temples in pain.

'Oh my god, Jack I'm so sorry.' She runs over to him. 'Are you ok?'

'Ow.....you can hear that? All this time?'

'Yep, just keeps getting louder, the more excited they get. I'm sorry I didn't think.' she looks even more pained.

'So do we just wait now? Daniel looks at her.

'Yep.' she says dejectedly. She continues to draw the symbols the creatures use most; Death, kill, pain, torure.... she smiles at Daniel. 'Nice huh.'

'How can you differenciate between them? They all look the same.'

'That would be because they are all the same. They also use the same symbol for pleasure.' she looks grimly at Teal'c. 'You missed the attack on the Goa'ould, thank goodness, Apophis was on another world, his guard with him.'

Sirens. Red lights. A voice over the P.A. system. 'SG-1 to the command room.' Rain stands and runs from the room, not waiting for the others, knowing that they have waited too long.

She arrives at the Stargate to see a figure step through, he wears a hood and lowers it slowly.

He speaks in a gutteral language that Rain understands;

'I am Chanyay, I am a representative of the Nianshal, you were offered the challenge, why did you not respond?'

Rain steps forward.

'I am Isis, representative of Earth, I speak your language, I know your customs, speak with me. We tried to respond, we were unable to obtain a slab of limestone in time.'

He stares at her with disgust and looks to the General who has just joined her.

'You would allow a woman to speak for you?' he looks disgusted.

'He does not speak your language, talk through me, I will translate.'

The General looks at her. 'What did he say?'

She smiles grimly, not taking her eyes from Chanyay. 'He is disgusted that you would allow a woman to represent you, he wishes to know why we have not responded to the challenge. Is there anything you wish for me to say for you?'

'Ask him if there is no way that we can make Peace?' He looks at her and she nods her head.

'My commander asks if we can make peace, we have no reason to fight you.'

'I will not speak with a woman.'

'I am the only person who speaks your language.'

'No peace. If you know the rituals, you know that we do not deal in peace.' he spat the last word in disgust.

The General noticed that Rain was at least half a foot taller than the alien.

'He says no peace.'

'Ask him if we could form an alliance.'

She nods in reply and turns back to Chanyay.

'An alliance? An exchange of information? We are much more use to you alive.'

He looks at her, considering the situation.

'We take what we need, we do not bagain for it.'

Jack and the rest of SG-1 come skidding into the command room above the gate room.

'What's happening?' Jack looks at the technician wide eyed.

'Isis is speaking with this representative of Nianshal, they sent the tablet.'

'And you are just talking to them? After they threatened us? I say shoot his ass and kick him back through the gate.'

'Colonel, if we can end this peacefully....'

Jack interupts. 'Rain has been listening to them, she can hear their thoughts, they dont want peace. They want carnage and torture.'

'Well Isis is going to try.'

Jack just stands and stares, getting worried in case the alien tries anything.

'Well what now then Chanyay?' Rain looked at him intently.

'I have challeneged your people, one must fight me, if I win, we invade, if your representative wins, we will leave, but no one has ever beaten me.' He looks overly confident. 'Pick your victim.'

'Let me talk to my commander.' she turns to the General, but keeps her eye on Chanyay.

'He says one of us must fight him, if we win, he leaves.'

'He wants one of us to fight him?'

'I am willing, I have fought them before.'

'Isis, I can't let you do that...'

'General, his people have no respect for women, they see them as weak and useless. If a woman beats him, that would mean that the men must be superhuman, by his way of thinking, they won't risk it, anyway I know their tactics, they cheat, they have no honour.'

General Hammond sighs. 'Are you sure?'

She smiles 'If I fail, you use Colonel O'Neill's plan, shoot his ass back through the Stargate, either way we win.' she looks up at Jack in the command room, through the huge window and smiles warmly.

'You know, I think she's enjoying this.' Jack says to Sam.

'If you're sure, but be careful.' General Hammomd says to Isis.

'I promise.' she turns back to Chanyay. 'I will fight you.'

He laughs and spits on the ground in front of her. 'That would be suicide, but you are annoying me, it will be a pleasure to kill you.'

'What did he say?' Daniel asked quietly.

'He can't wait to kick my butt.' she says in his head, still looking at Chanyay.

'Ready?' he asks. She nods.

A fight ensues, Chanyay using any tactics he can, biting, scratching, generally cheating as Rain blocks his every move and kicks like a horse. Jack watches mesmirised, his gun in his hand in case he even touches her..... But so far he can't get close enough. She kicks him in the jaw and he falls to the ground, clutching his mouth.

'I'm letting you go Chanyay, leave and do not return.'

'You should have killed me while you had the chance.' he pulls a device from his pocket and presses a button upon it, and immediately the Stargate lights up and a hundred or so Nianshal walk through, all men, all full of blood lust. Chanyay grins. Rain smiles back.

'Aw! A party, you shouldn't have!'

The security have all raised their guns.

'It's not use, those weapons will not harm them, they have exceptional armour, the only way to beat them is to fight hand to hand.' Rain looks to Chanyay. 'Am I too much for you?'

By this time Jack is running down to the floor, gun in hand, he skids into the room and shouts;

'Don't move!' His eyes are slits and he is snarling.

'Jack, it's no good, your gun wont work on them.'

'Like hell it wont.' he fires several rounds before realising it has no affect.

Chanyay laughs. 'Hold him and the commander aside, we fight her, and her alone.' he looks at Rain, she smiles. 'Can't wait Chanyay, bring it on!'

Jack and the General, along with the security teams are carried from the room and the doors closed by the other Nianshals. Jack kicks like hell, but it seems to have no affect. He curses loudly and runs back up to the command room with the General. When they get there, they see Daniel is going crazy, he is seriously aggitated and keeps hitting the glass.

Jack growls deeply. 'We have to do something!'

'What can we do Colonel O'Neill? We can not reach the floor.' Teal'c says, but he is clearly worried about Rain.

'Um Colonel, she's, excuse the phrase, kicking their butts.' Sam says watching from the window.

Jack looks out the window and sees Rain is surrounded by bodies and shows no signs of slowing, she actually looks in her element.

'That's my girl' Jack thinks, but doesn't think she can keep it up.

Not long later, not a single one of them is standing, Rain opens the doors, then returns to the bodies, throwing them back through the gate, four at a time. Jack just stares, amased at her strength, then runs down to the floor, the General and the rest of SG-1 following him.

'Close the gate!' Rain shouts.

'How the hell......'Jack just stands, gobsmacked.

'What?' she looks puzzled. Then she smiles warmly and wipes the blood from the face and hands. 'Damnit, they messed up my uniform, I've only got one.'

Daniel's jaw is on the floor again.

'Is it ok if I go get a drink?' Rain asks.

Everyone, just stares at her, the General managing to nod slightly.

'Back in a moment.' she jogs from the room, smiling at everyone as she leaves.

When she returns ten minutes later, she finds no one has moved, and they all stare at her when she walks back in, a bottle of water in her hand.

'Are you ok?' Her eyes widen. 'What's wrong?'

Daniel is the first to remember what speech is.

'Nothing....we're...fine....and uh you?'

'Oh I'm great, thanks. Water?' she holds out the bottle.

'Uh...no...thank you.'

'I guess I should go wash this gore off my face, maybe you all should go see Dr.Fraser, you all look a little pale.'

'Uh Isis.....' The General looks to her, looking a little scared.

'Yes sir?'

'Debriefing, when you are ready.'

'Yes sir, I'll be about ten minutes, is that ok?'

'Take as long as you need.'

They watch as she skips off happily, her long blonde hair dancing behind her. 'That girl needs help.' Jack says quietly to himself, but with a wide grin.

'Yep.' Daniel replies.

Ten minutes later Rain walks into the meeting room, all cleaned up, although her uniform is still a mess and looks to the General.

'Sir, I would like to appologise for my appearance, I can't get the blood out of my jacket........' she cringes waiting for a response, but he just stares at her, wide eyed. She sits down quickly.

The General stands, not sure what to say, still in awe. He paces the room then turns to them all.

'Isis, how the hell did you manage that?'

'I don't understand.....'

'There were over a hundred of them, all strong able warriors, and you're not even scratched.' He raises an eyebrow.

'Well actually', she stands and shows them a scratch on her hand. 'But I don't think it counts because I caught it on the door to the caffeteria.'

The General just stares, not sure if she is for real.

'Well, I guess we don't need to make alliances for alien technology anymore.' Jack says with a grin.'We can just send Rain in ahead of us when we go off world.' He shoots her a grin.

Teal'c is the only one who is not surprised by her display.

'I've been working out,' she giggles.

'Do you think they will return Isis?' The General looks to her in concern.

'They won't be willing to admit they were beaten by a woman, but if they come back, I do have a friend among their people.' she looks to Jack carfeully. 'Their previous king was a ....uh...friend of mine. He may help us. Although he was dethroned after the attack on the Goa'ould....due to....uh...'she trails off and looks at the table.

'But he would be willing to help us?' The General lookked at her.

'I would hope so, I saved his life, as did I save his people from obliteration.'

'Why didn't you tell us this before?' The General looked at her.

'I was hoping I could talk them out of it.' she looked back down at the table. 'And I didn't wish to bring him into it.' she looked at Jack, and he raised an eyebrow.

'If they come back, I will demand to talk with him, they can not deny a final request.'

'Let's hope it doesn't come to that, and Isis,' she looked up at Hammond. 'Nice fighting.'

She grinned slightly, and Jack positively beamed with pride. She giggled at his puffed out chest.

'You are all dismissed, I suggest you all rest until you are needed.'

Rain walked back to Daniel's office with Daniel and Jack, who was desperate to speak to her.

They arrived at his office and Rain slumped onto the couch, Daniel smiled at her warmly before seating himself at the desk and looking over the symbols Rain had drawn earlier.

Jack sat on the floor by the couch, looking up at Rain who was pretending to be asleep. Jack reached out a hand to tickle her, when she grabbed it and said; 'Don't try it mister.' he grinned and looked at her, then he frowned.

'Uh Rain.....how do you know the ex king of the Nianshal?'

She looked down and frowned. 'Long story.'

'What happened?'

'He....kinda had a thing for me...' she avoided Jack's gaze, but she could sense he had tensed up and was looking straight at her.

'He had....a....'thing' for you?'

'Jack chill, it was one sided. I saved his life, he fell for me. That was it.'

'Oh, ok.' he thought about it some more. 'Are you sure that was all?'

She looked down guiltily. 'You've seen my life, you tell me.'

'He meant something to you didn't he?'

'Let me put it this way, we were alone, Isis and I, a war started, I met a creature who had the same beliefs as me, he wasn't like the others, he hated the Goa'ould and he hated what his people were. It was a comfort.' She looked at him, but he was looking at his boots.

'Were you close?'

'We didn't have time to be close, but I know how he felt for me...' she trailed off.

Jack reached out to stroke her hair, but thought better of it, as Daniel was in the room.

He looked up from the desk. 'Jack you don't have to pretend in front of me, I kinda guessed about you two when Rain first arrived.' he looked back to the text and Jack stuck his tongue out at him.

'We that obvious?' He looked at Rain.

'Apparently, anyhoo, I wouldn't lie to Daniel, if he had asked..' she grinned and winked at Daniel.

'Could I ask a favour?' Jack looked back to Rain.

'Sure, anything.....'then she added realising who she was talking to. 'within reason!.'

'Next time you are gunna take on 100 armed warriors please tell me.'

'Sure, if I have time.' she grinned and kissed his forehead.

'Hey missy!' he indicated Daniel.

'Don't be silly, it's love me love my Jack.' she giggles hysterically and Daniel stiffled a laugh from his desk.

'Well if I'd known those were the conditions...' Daniel grinned.

'You two are ganging up on me, that's not fair!' Jack said, pretnding to be mad, but failing.

Rain looks down at her blood stained jacket.

'We need to go shopping.'

'We?' Jack asks in mock surprise.

Two hours later General Hammond calls SG-1 down to the gate. When they arrive Rain notices a figure stood next to him, they are both gesturing with their hands, though neither understands the other.

Rain giggles. 'Greetings Narbuth.' she smiles warmly and embraces him, 'How are you?'

'Well, I heard a rumor of a giant warrior woman from this address and had to investigate as it had to be you didn't it. The rumours said you had two heads and fangs though.' He grinned. She laughed and punched his shoulder softly.

'General Hammond, this is Narbuth, former king of Nianshal, he heard rumour of a two headed giant warrior woman and had to investigate.'

Hammond smiled. 'This is your friend Isis?'

'Yes.' she turned to Narbuth 'This is General Hammond, my commander.'

'Is he a fair ruler?'

Rain smiles. 'He isn't a ruler, but he is in charge of this facility. I would give my life gladly for him, let's put it that way.'

'Rain, I come bringing bad news, my people can not allow a woman to defeat their army, they are sending reinforcements.'

'I just knew you were going to say that. Can't you talk to them?'

'I have tried, their reputation is damaged, they can not repair it unless they slay you and bring back the body as proof.'

'General, they are sending reinforcements, to kill me.'

'They are what?' he looks at her in surprise, she doesn't seem at all worried.

'Like hell they are.' Jack says.

'Colonel, it's ok, I'll just go through the gate, talk to them, they will be happy....all will be well.'

Jack's jaw drops. 'YOU WHAT?'

'Do you have any idea of the size of their armies? You can not block the gate, they have technology to open it, I am not going to stand around and let them bring 50,000 warriors through that gate!' she said.

She turns to the General.

'Isis, that would be suicide.'

'I'll come back, in one piece, I promise, I did it before, I'll do it again. Please General, I have to try.'

'Tell him, I promise I will let you come to no harm.' Narbuth said softly.

'Narbuth will protect me, please.'

'Isis....I don't want to do this, but it is better that we try, I'm going to let you go.'

'General you can't be serious.' Daniel protested.

'I have faith in Isis, if she believes she can do it, then she can.' Teal'c says stoically.

'Thank you for your faith Teal'c' she smiles at him warmly.

'I promise I'll come back, I've never broken a promise.'

Jack is fuming, but can not say anything or the General will work out why he so concerned.

Rain is already half way up the ramp. She turns and says; 'Back soon, anyone want anything from Nianshal?' she giggles and walks through the gate.....

Two hours pass, Jack spends the time staring at a wall, imaging a thousand deaths that Rain could die at their hands, and what he will do if anything happens to her. 'I'll rip them to pieces, all 50, 000 of them' he thinks grimly. He was hoping that would trigger a response from Rain, she said she could hear thoughts from thousands of lightyears away, but nothing came. He was really starting to worry now.

Daniel was distracted with the symbols Rain had drawn, Carter was typing on a laptop, and Teal'c was sitting quietly, though looking visably disturbed, Jack assumed 'Junior' was sensing something, and it clearly wasn't good...

Two more hours. Jack stands and starts pacing, it makes him feel no better, but at least he isn't sat still staring at the same wall. 'If anything has happened to her, I'm gunna.....I'm gunna.' he thinks and ends the sentence out loud by growling and puching the nearest wall. The more time that passed, the angrier he bacame, obviously it was due to his concern for Rain, but he looked like he could've taken on the whole of the Nianshal, he also looked as though he was thinking about it.

A voice from the command room telling of an unauthorised dial in.

Jack stands and stares at the gate, as do the rest of the team, including the General, he seems as worried as the rest of them.

Nothing comes through for several moments, then they see Narbuth. They all run over when they see he is carrying Rain's limp form.

'Oh my god.' Daniel breathes. Jack just stands there as though he can not move.

Narbuth lays her body down upon the ramp and looks up at them sadly.

'Call Dr.Fraser, get a medical team down here, now!' The General shouts.

Narbuth shakes his head sadly and pulls aside Rain's jacket, they hadn't noticed that the blood upon it was wet, and an ornate knife it protruding from her abdomen.

'What happened?' Daniel asks, but realises Narbuth can not tell him. He tries to indicate with his hands, but it doesn't work.

Narbuth holds his head as thought trying to remember something. 'Kill.' he says a little shakily, not sure if he used the right word. He then stands and gestures. First he mouths to show speech or talking, then he pretends to pull something from his jacket and pretends to stab himself with it.

'She did this? She killed herself?' Sam asks, looking at Narbuth, who looks sad and confused.

She then turns to Jack who hasn't moved, he just stands and stares.

Sam begins to look at the wounds, checking for a pulse. She looks to the General. 'There's no pulse, we're too late.'

Daniel lets out a soft sob and tries to blink back the tears, Narbuth also looks as though he may cry.

They all just stare, unsure of what to do, all looking at Rain's still form, or the floor, each blaming themselves for letting her go.

Jack moves, finally, he walks forward, up the ramp to Rain's body, he kneels down, picks her up and walks away, without a word to any of them.

Jack gets several strange looks as he walks down the corridor with Rain in his arms. Dr.Fraser comes around the corner and tries to stop him with futile platitudes that maybe they can restart her heart, although she knows it is no use. Jack doesn't stop, he just keeps walking until he gets back to his office. He walks through the door carefully and gently puts Rain's body on the couch, placing her arms over her body so they do not trail upon the floor. He walks back to the door and locks it, then returns to Rain's body. He sinks onto his knees, trembling, and crawls over to her, picking up her hand and holding it to his cheek. He looked up to the heavens and closed his eyes, he spoke quietly, desperately.

'I know you know how I feel about you, but I have a favour to ask. I feel you owe me after taking my son away and my wife leaving me, I feel I've been punished for three lifetimes and I dont feel as though I did anything wrong. I now it's too late bacause she is already dead, but I am begging you, do not take her away from me, I can't have my heart broken again, I need her, although I would never admit it. God, please, just let me have her, you can throw anything else you want at me, just don't take her away.'

He looked back at her still form to see if any miracle had occured, although he knew one wouldn't.

He lowered his head and lay it on her chest, she was still so warm, how could she be dead?

He thought of all she had been through to get back to him and now this.

He raised his head and looked at her.

'Why did you do it? I would rather the world go to hell, at least we could have watched it fall down together. Now I'm alone as my world falls down.' tears sprang to his eyes but he tried to fight them.

He picked up her body and sat down, hugging her close to his body, willing the life back into her.

Something hit his hip and he realised no one had removed the god damned knife.

He carefully pulled it out, as though she were still alive and able to feel it.

'I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry for your life, I'm so sorry you ever got tangled up with me.'

He pulled her closer and sobbed into her hair.

Several hours later, Jack awoke to find he had fallen asleep on the couch, with Rain in his arms. He was still confused that she was still warm, and she looked better than she had before, not worse.

He kissed her forehead and rocked back and forth with her in his arms, not entirely sure what to do, if he let her go, they would take her away and bury her, then she would be truely dead. At least he still felt like she was with him like this.

A loud knock came at the door. Jack made no move to answer it. 'Leave us alone.' he yelled.

The General's voice came through, loudly but sympathetic and sad. 'Jack, Dr.Fraser needs to carry out an autopsey and we need to arrange a funeral.'

'No! I'm not letting you cut her up! We know how she died, leave her alone.'

'Colonel O'Neill....' he was cut off by Sam who told him that maybe they should come back later.

Jack wasn't sure how much time had passed, hours, days. It felt a lot longer. It felt like hell.

He had resigned himself to sitting and talking to her, her body lay on the couch again, lovingly placed, her hair had been brushed and the blood wiped from the wound. He spent his time appolologising, blaming himself, begging some unseen force to bring her back to him. He couldn't cry anymore, his eyes were red and sore and his breathing came out in sobs, but there were no more tears, he didn't have the strength.

He closed his eyes again and gave himself to blissful, painless sleep. In sleep she was still alive, and he couldn't feel pain. He prayed he wouldn't wake up this time....

He was awoken by a loud noise, a harsh in take of air, like someone who has nearly drowned coming up for air. He opened his eyes, thinking he had imagined it and looked over to Rain. But she wasn't lying still anymore, her eyes were open wide, a little too wide, she was struggling to breathe. He ran over to her, shaking all over and untied her collar too help her breathe.

'Rain?'

She looked at him, but coughed violently. He helped her sit up, tears in his eyes, he tried to hide them from her, but she saw. She breathed very slowly, laboured breathing, it had a harsh rattling noise to it, as though her lungs were ruined, but still trying. He rubbed her back encouragingly and told her to keep trying. She looked scared, as though she was losing a fight to some unseen presence.

She closed her eyes, and when she opened them again, her breathing was a little better, she wasn't coughing anymore.

Jack was beside himself, he wanted to hold her, but thought better of it to give her space to breathe.

He looked skywards and said softly 'Thank you.'

Rain coughed. Her voice was quiet and hoarse, but still hers and still like music to his ears.

'You should thank Isis, this is her work.' she coughed again.

'Thank god for you Isis.' Rain smiled, though she looked exhausted, her eyes red, her skin more pale than it had been when she had been unconscious. He took her hand carefully, treating her like an egg shell or something equally as delicate, as though if he breathed too hard, she might break.

'I could still kick your ass mister.' she rasped smiling.

'God, I thought that was it hunny, I really did.' He couldn't speak, he was too happy, too confused, too desperate to embrace her and never let her go.

She smiled wearily. 'I can't die. Well I wasn't then, I was resting so Isis could fix me, thank god you pulled that knife out, she couldn't do anything until you did that.' she coughed again. She closed her eyes and whispered. 'Thank you Isis, I owe you my life and my happiness.' she laughed.

'What?' Jack said.

'Isis was telling me not to be so soppy.' She breathed deeply. 'So when do I get a hug?'

He smiled and sat next to her, pulling her close carefully and holding her. He couldn't hold it in anymore, he began to cry uncontrolably, she stroked his head, holding him as close as she dared for the sake of her lungs. She began to sob too, the relief pouring out of her.

Not long later, they both lay on the sofa, asleep, Jack cradled in her arms, his head on his chest, his breathing normal apart from the occasional sob. Another knock came at the door. Rain awoke and carefully got up, trying not to wake Jack, laying his head back down gently. She unlocked the door and opened it slowly.

It was Major Carter, her eyes were red and she was sniffing. She looked up at Rain, her eyes widened in surprise and she began to stutter.

'Shush hunny Jack's asleep.'

'But, you're....uh....dead.'

'Am I?' she smiled warmly. 'I wasn't dead.' she whispered. 'Isis had to stop my heart and breathing so she could repair my body. I'm sorry to scare you like that, but I had no way I could warn you.'

Sam just stared at her, and the tears started anew. Rain pulled her close and held her until she stopped.

'Don't cry, you'll start me off again.' she sniffed. Sam smiled through the tears.

'I'm so glad you are ok, I couldn't imagine this place without you anymore.'

'I'm fine hunny look, I'm a bit of a mess, but I'm fine.' she lifted up her t-shirt and showed her where the wound had been. 'All gone. Isn't Isis amasing!' 'Thank you Isis, so much, we couldn't cope without either of you.'

Rain blushed and explained it was Isis blushing.

'Have you told the General?' Sam said, trying to stop the tears.

'Not yet, I fell asleep, I'm so tired.' she grinned sheepishly.

'Oh, I'm sorry, I'll let you get your rest...' she beagn to back away slowly.

'You don't have to, I should probably go tell the General, otherwise he'll be round here trying to arrange to bury me.' she smiled.

'That's true.' Sam said smiling, though still sniffing.

'I can't leave Jack though, or he'll think he's going nuts or something. I'll write him a note, I'll probably be back before he wakes up anyway.'

She walked back into the office and quickly wrote a note and placed it in Jack's hand. She bent down and kissed his forehead softly. He flinched slightly, his eyes creasing, then they opened and he was staring up at her.

'I'm sorry hunny, I didn't mean to wake you. I was just going to go see the General, otherwise he'll be looking for my replacement.' Jack stared at her, a little groggy.

'Uh huh.' he mumbled.

'I'll only be a minute, you can stay here if you want, get some more sleep.' His eyes widened and he stood up quickly.

'Oh no you don't, I'm not letting you out of my sight missy.' He put his arm around her waist, he noticed Sam stood at the door and began to let go, but realised it didn't matter anymore, it must be obvious how they feel about each other, so he pulled her closer. They walked out of the room with Sam, heading for the General's office.

Rain closed her eyes as she was walking, then began to sing. Sam raised an eyebrow.

'Blue moon...'

'Blue blue moon.' Jack added, apparently offering backup. Rain giggled.

'The General has it in his head.'

Jack grinned sheepishly. 'I thought maybe we could get an act together, tour nightclubs, hit the big time....'

'Can't,' Rain smiled. 'I kinda have a job where if I ever quit, I would be hunted down and killed.'

'Killed? You?' Jack was almost giddy with happiness.

They arrived at the General's office, Jack knocked on the door and entering, leaving Sam and Rain outside.

The General looked up, his eyes widened when he saw it was Jack.

'Colonel O'Neill.....'

'How are you today General?' He grinned.

Hammond stared at him speechless.

'Are you ok?'

'Never better.'

'Excuse me?'

'I said,' Jack pronounced each word more carefully, exagerated. 'Never better.'

'I heard what you said, but I don't understand.'

'Oh, that's ok. Um...there's someone outside who wants to speak to you. She can't stop singing 'Blue moon' and I'm blaming you!' He grinned warmly.

'Blue moon? But I.....how the.....?'

Rain walked in, smiling brightly, followed by Sam, who looked ecstatic.

Rain ran over and hugged the General.

'How the....? Isis? I don't....'

'It's ok General, you aren't hallucinating, this is the new improved Rain.' Jack said in a mocking salesman voice.

'But Rain, you're uh..?

'Dead?' she giggled. 'Nope. Just resting. I thought I should come tell you before you arrange my funeral.'

'Maybe we should still have one. Any excuse for a party.' Jack said with a grin, unable to keep still or quiet, he was so happy, almost drunk on happiness. 'Well, you can't spell funeral without 'fun.' Rain grinned.

'Isis, I'm speechless.' he just stood staring at her.

'That's ok General. I just thought I should let you know. I should go tell Daniel, if you need me just call.'

She kissed his head before skipping out singing 'Blue Moon.'

Jack just grinned and followed.

Sam tried to stifle a laugh, but failed, attempted to regain her composure, but left choking and laughing.

The General stood staring at the door, not sure of what to do.

Rain got many strange looks when she walked (skipped) down the corridor's to Daniel's office. Before it had been the soldiers drooling over her, now they looked at her as though they had seen a ghost. She couldn't resist chasing a few soldiers and announcing she wished to 'suck their bloooooood.' Jack and Sam laughed happily, she seemed to have a good affect on them both.

They got to Daniel's office and Rain stopped, her face fell.

'What's wrong?' Jack asked her in concern.

'Daniel's hysterical, one of his friend's has died.' she looked heartbroken. Jack choked. 'Um, Rain, it's you he's crying over.'

'Really?' she looked completely shocked. 'Wow! I'm loved.' she giggled.

She knocked on the door. A muffled voice told them to go away.

'Daniel hunny, it's me, Rain.'

'Whoever you are, that is sick.' she heard him get up and come to the door, obviously furious at this impersonator with the sick sense of humour. The door was opened angrily.

Daniel's eyes flashed with anger, then softened when he saw who it was.

'Rain?'

'Yes hunny.'

He fell into her arms and sobbed his heart out, she stroked his hair and whispered to him softly, telling him everything is ok, she was just comatose.

'God, I thought you were dead.'

'Apparently, so did everyone else. The General thinks he's going nuts.' she smiled warmly.

Daniel grabbed her again and hugged her tighter.

Rain coughed violently.

'You trying to kill me?' she giggled between coughs. Jack looked as though he were going to yell at Daniel but thought better of it.

'Oh my god, I'm so sorry.'

'It's ok, dont worry about it.'

'I'm so sorry, are you ok?'

'Stop apologising, I'm fine, really.' She looked to Jack and he smiled warmly at her. Daniel smiled as he saw the exchange.

Daniel hugged her again, but very carefully this time.

'Hey break it up!' Jack exclaimed. Rain giggled.

'Chill Colonel.' she raised an eyebrow, encouraging a response from him. He just kissed her forehead.

Daniel's jaw dropped through the floor, Sam's joined it.

Jack looked at them.

'What? You got a problem?'

'No Sir.' Sam said quickly.

'Nope, I'm happy for you.' Daniel said with a smile.

'Happy? About what?' Rain said with a wink.

'About you two.' Daniel said, a confused look on his face.

'We don't know what you are talking about.' Jack said with sarcasm and a wink.

'But I thought...' Daniel still apparently didn't get it.

'Jack, and I?' Rain laughed hysterically but was winking at him madly.

Jack laughed. 'You loko like your eye is about to fall out.'

She giggled then said in Daniel's head; 'We can't let on to anyone about us.' 'Ohhhhhhhhh!' Daniel said finally getting it. 'Come in.' he said gesturing to his office.

They followed him in, Jack still laughing at Rain.

'Are you quite done Colonel?' she raised an eybrow and giggled.

The sceond the door was closed Rain grabbed Jack's hand.

'So, you are a couple, but you can't let anyone know.'

'Got it in one......well uh actually it took you a while!.' Rain smiled.

'Sorry.' he grinned sheepishly.

'Don't be.'

'So, does the General know?'

'Yep.' Rain said. Jack looked at her in surprise.

'He does.'

'Duh! How could he not. He's ok with it beacause we were together before I worked here. He's so sweet.'

Jack raised an eyebrow. Rain sat next to him on the floor and rested her head on his shoulder.

'I should die more often, Jack'd be kicking my ass if I tried this normally.' 'Am I that bad?' He looked offended.

'YES!' all three answered in unison.

He grinned lopsidedly.

'Aw hell.'

'You think yourselves lucky, I live with him.' Rain said gigling, she squeezed his hand to show she didn't mean it.

'Well if it's that bad, you could go live with Daniel.' he said with mock offence.

'Ok, you don't mind do you Daniel?'

'Course not, we have a lot in common, I only have one bedroom though....'

'OK ENOUGH!' Jack clutched the sides of his head. 'Please do not put that image in my head again!' Rain kissed his hand.

'You know I'm kidding right?' She looked at him.

'Yep, but I wasn't!'

She punched his shoulder softly.

'You are so mean!'

'You love it really.'

'Yeah, I'm a sucker.'

Sam giggled, thinking how sweet they were.

'Don't ever let Jack hear you say that.' Rain said to her. They both giggled. 'What? What did she say?'

'Nuthin hun.' Rain rubbed her eyes.

'You ok?' Jack looked at her in concern.

'Isis is exhausted, and I'm a little whacked.' she smiled.

'God, why didn't you say. I'll take you home.'

'It's ok Jack, I'm fine really.'

'So what happened on Nianshal Rain?' Daniel asked carefully. Jack shot him a look as if to say 'why the hell did you ask that?'

'It's ok Jack.' she said soothingly. 'I went with Narbuth through the gate, met with representatives. They said they could not allow me to live. I told them that they would be breaking their rules if they killed me, so they said they would have to destroy our world to save face. I offered to kill myself if they would leave you all alone. Isis had told me that if I was stabbed or shot, she could repair the damage, so I thought it could work quite well. I couldn't warn you because I didn't want to scare you. I knew a certain somone (she looked at Jack) would come racing through that gate if I said I was planning to pretend to kill myself, as that certain someone has a habit of not letting me explain the whole situation. But I know that certain someone only does it cause they care, and for that I am truely grateful.' she smiled warmly at him.

'Can't think who you are talking about Rain.' he said with a grin.

'Oh I meant Teal'c.' she giggled.

'TEAL'C!' she stood, opened the door and ran from the room, without a word to any of them. She skidded to a halt outside Teal'c's quarters and knocked softly. 'Enter.'

Rain pushed the door open slowly.

'Teal'c I'm so sorry!' She ran into his arms.

'I was waiting for you to come.' he said, but softened somewhat when she hugged him and whispered to him in his native tongue.

'What would I do without you my dear?' she smiled warmly. 'Always so Loyal and steadfast. my strangth as ever. Junior told you I was ok didn't he.'

'That is correct.'

'Thank you Junior.' she giggled. Kissed her hand and pressed it to his stomach.

'I'm sorry hunny, I got so caught up in everything.'

'You have no reason to explain, I am not offended.'

Jack, Sam and Daniel came running down the corridor at that moment. All out of breath.

'What's wrong?'

'Nothing's wrong. I forgot to tell Teal'c, but he already knew, he was waiting for me to come.'

'We thought he was in trouble the way you ran off!' Daniel said panting.

'Sorry.' Rain said, smiling at Teal'c.

'It is lucky I was not in danger if this is the time it takes you to arrive.' Teal'c said, a whisper of a smile dancing at the edges of his mouth. Rain giggled and hugged him again. Jack smiled.

'Well I'm glad you are ok Teal'c.' he grinned.

'As am I.' he smiled, obviously this time.

Three hours later Jack and Rain are curled up in Jack's office, his head on her shoulder as they talk quietly.

'You never did finish telling me about what happened on Nianshal.' he said quietly.

'Well after consulting Isis, we decided it was the best thing to do. I told Narbuth quietly, and he begged me not to, he said he would make my last few hours the best ever and he took me back to his house and...'

'HE WHAT!' Jack exploded, then saw the expression on her face and relaxed somewhat.

'That was cruel.'

'I'm sorry, I'm just teasing you.'

'What REALLY happened?'

'Narbuth asked me to reconsider, but time was running out. I asked for a knife and just did it. Next thing I remember I'm in your office, having trouble breathing.' she smiled.

He kissed her gently.

'I heard everything you said to me Jack.' she said sadly.

'You did?'

'Uh huh. If you ever apologise to me for having gotten me tangled up in a mess again, I'm gunna....I'm gunna..' she sighed. 'If I were to die right now, I would not have one regret. Not one. Apart from wishing I had met you sooner in my life, but it was worth all the hell to be here now.' she nuzzled into his neck.

'Why did you blame yourself Jack?' she lifted his chin so he was looking her in the eye. He didn't need to say anything, she read it all.

'It wasn't your fault Jack. It wasn't your fault he had your gun, it wasn't your fault your wife left. Nothing is your fault.' He looked down, but she looked into his eyes again.

'Hey mister. I'm talking to you. Admit it. Tell me it wasn't your fault.'

He looked at her sadly.

'He doesn't blame you Jack. He's a little mad that you don't talk to him anymore, but that's it. He understands everything.'

He looked at her in surprise.

'You can speak to him.'

'Of course, death isn't the end. It's just the begining of something new. He's happy Jack, I promise you that and he loves you.' He put his arms about her neck again and lay her down so his head was resting on her chest, he listened to her heart, and her breathing. She began to sing softly, he closed his eyes, feeling content and at peace again.

'Jack?'

'yes?'

'I love you.'

'Say it again.' he said softly.

She smiled. 'I love you.'

He began to say something but she stopped him.

'Don't say it.' she said, the warmth of her voice made him smile.

'You don't want me to say it.

'Nope. I don't need to be told, I think it is nicer to be loved, and so sure of it, you don't need it to be said.'

He smiled and returned to listening to her breathing, it hurt him to find it was still a little difficult for her. He started to rise, to make it easier for her.

'Where you going sir?'

He looked into her eyes, and at her slightly tousled hair and grinned.

'No where.'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Rain