Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Visitor

by Rain
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Visitor

Visitor

by Rain

Title: Visitor
Author: Rain
Email: raven_guest@hotmail.com
Category: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance, Series
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: minor language, violence
Summary: 5th in my Rain/Isis series, it would be easy to understand if you read the others, but is a complete story. Jack meets a man from Rain's past.
Sequel to: Isis, Return of the Rain, Monsoon, Valentine
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

SG-1

Episode; Alliance.

Man, am I whacked, even working as a spy for the Tok'ra was not as much work as working at the SGC! I love it though. Jack and I are still happy, Anubis is huge, he's taller than Jack when on his hindlegs, it's cute to see the two of them waltzing around the living room. The things I live with are a lot weirder than the things we see on other planets, I swear. Just yesterday I caught Jack miming to the radio into a spatula! Aparently he could pass as a sane individual before he met me! That's it, blame me for his insanity! It probably is my fault, but I love it. Daniel comes over almost every night, he's getting very lonely, he doesn't really have any friends outside work, and he thinks more and more about Sha're and Shifu the more lonely he gets, so I told him to come over whenever he likes. He says I'm his best friend, the only one he can really talk to, because we don't even have to talk, I always just know. Well, it's true. And god I love him, he's the sweetest person, and Jack doesn't mind at all, it's a case of love me, love my Daniel. And I'm so glad he doesn't get jealous anymore, it was draining the hell out of me. Teal'c also frequents our home at least twice a week, I feel sorry for him being stuck on base all the time, so we go for long walks while Jack and Daniel 'talk' (man talk for gossip!) I'm teaching him about American culture, along with what I remember of English culture, it is out of date now but oh well. Sam and Janet visit a lot as well, we all have the same problems, we can't really make friends out side of work due to work and being unable to talk about it, so we keep each other company. It's quite sweet really, my own adopted family, and my dog. What more could a girl ask for?

When Rain arrived at work that morning, the General was waiting for her, which she knew, but she couldn't quite work out why, his thoughts were a little jumbled as he had a lot on his mind. 'Rain, Isis, could I talk to you both for a moment please?' Rain loved it when he addressed them both, he was the only one to do that anymore, and Isis appreciated it a lot. 'Of course Sir.'
They walked into his office and sat down. 'Due to unforseen circumstances, we are having to invite a member of the English RAF to the base, apparently somehow, they have gotten word of the Stargate project and are threatening to go public unless we share at least some information with them. We have a representitive arriving later today who will be staying with us for several days. I need you to escourt him around the base as we need to find out where they recieved the information, although there is not that much we can do about it now.' He said sighing. 'Um...Sir, which base are they coming from?' 'Why do you ask?' he said with curiosity. 'I used to be in the RAF.'
'Really? You kept that a secret.'
Rain smiled. 'It's in my past, I didn't think it relivant.' 'I have not been told which base he is from, but his name is Colonel Lee.' Rain stared at him in disbelief.
'Colonel John Lee?'
'Yes, did you know him?'
Rain had her head in her hands.
'Uh...could say that, he hated me.' She said with a weak smile. 'It's not going to be a problem is it?' 'It shouldn't be, I have changed a lot since he knew me.' 'Will he recognise you?'
'I don't think he could really forget me, I think I am premenantly etched into his head. What time is he arriving?' 'He is expected to arrive at Cheyenne at 12. If you could report here before hand, I will accompany you down to meet him.' 'Yes sir.'
'Do you have any questions?'
'No sir.'
'Then you are free to go.'
'Thank you sir.'
'Oh, and Rain?'
'Yes sir?'
'Thank you for the roses.'
Rain smiled at him warmly.
'I don't know what you are talking about sir!' She smiled at him before leaving the room.

'So you know this Colonel?' Daniel asked, looking at Rain intently. 'Yesssss....' she drawled.
'You didn't get on?'
'Ha ha ha, that would be an understatement.' 'What happened?'
'Well, I joined the RAF at 18, I put my heart, soul, blood, sweat and tears into it, it was all I had. I was promoted within a year, and each progressive year was promoted again until I was Flight Leuitentant, which is very high, out ranks our General, but people were jealous, they thought I was our C.O's favourite. Colonel Lee, who was only an Officer then, was the worst, he started a rumour that I was only promoted due to the fact that I was having relations with my C.O. I was sent to court when our commanders heard. It was his word against ours. I was forced to leave, my C.O was fined heavily. There's no love lost between us.' She said grimly. 'And you have to act nice around him today?' 'Uh huh.'
'You have my sympathy.'
'It's ok, I'm spying on him so I will get revenge, just not the butt-kicking kind.' she grinned. Daniel laughed. 'So you're going to be with him all the time he is here?' 'Yes. Unfortunately.'
'Well you know where I am if you want to let off some steam about him.' She walked over and hugged him. 'Thank you, I may be in here every five minutes though.' He grinned.
'I've done all my work, just waiting for a mission, and as your friend the Colonel is coming, there wont be any.' 'True, but thank you anyway hunny.'
'So will he still have to treat you like a C.O?' 'I don't know, he may pretend he doesn't know me, I would like that....I can play with him then.' 'You've been living with Jack for too long!' 'Yep.' She giggled.

It was 12. The General was waiting with Rain and the rest of SG-1 to greet their visitor from 'across the pond.' Rain had prewarned Jack, Sam and Teal'c about the fact that she knew the Colonel, but hadn't gone into details with Jack he would end up killing the man. The General recieved word that the Colonel had arrived, and within five minutes he had entered the meeting room. His boots polished to perfection, his hair cut short, covered by his perfect hat along with his perfectly pressed uniform. Daniel could see why Rain didn't like him, he looked just like the embodiment of every school snitch and suck up he had ever seen. Rain grinned at him when he thought this and nodded in agreement. The Colonel walked towards them with a confident march and stopped before the General and saluted sharply. The General returned the gesture but Rain could already tell he didn't like him. 'Greetings Colonel Lee, I trust your journey was not too uncomfortable.' 'It was fine thank you.' The Colonel scanned the faces of the people stood with the General and stopped in disbelief when he came to Rain. Panic flared in his eyes, which he tried to hide, but Daniel saw it, as did Rain and he could tell Rain was loving it. The General noticed he had stopped to look at Rain. 'Please allow me to introduce the members of our main team SG-1. This Colonel O'Neill, Major Carter, Dr.Jackson, Teal'c and....' 'Sir!' Lee had stood to attention to Rain, looking both afraid and surprised, as though maybe this was a horrible dream which he would wake up from if he waited long enough. 'At ease Colonel, before you sprain something.' Rain said confidently, looking to the General for permission. 'I was not aware you had been transferred to the U.S Airforce.' 'I hadn't Colonel.' She smiled.
'Rain will be your guide for the time you are here, if you have any questions, please feel free to ask her.' Rain smiled in fake sweetness, which made Daniel smile. Revenge clearly would be hers. 'Rain? I don't understand.'
Rain turned to the General to explain.
'He knows me as Scott.'
Jack looked at her in surprise, he hadn't even told him her previous name. Lee was still stood very straight, as though afraid that if he relaxed he would be shouted at. 'I am not your C.O anymore Colonel, there is no need for the saluting.' 'Yes ma'am, I mean Sir...I mean' he began to mumble. 'It's all coming out now isn't it Rain?' Jack thought to Rain. She grinned at him wickedly. 'If only you knew half of it!' she smiled wickedly. 'I promise I'll explain after work.' 'hmmmm, you'd better. You were his Commanding Officer?' 'Yep, watch him squirm!' She thought.
Lee had only just noticed Teal'c.
Rain could read he was wondering if he was human and asked the General if she could explain about Teal'c. He gave his permission as they did have to share information about planets they had visited. 'No Teal'c is not human.' Rain said. Lee looked as though he were about to faint. 'How did you.....?'
'It's always everyone's first question.' 'Where is he from?' Lee asked, squirming. 'I do not believe I ever allowed you to talk about people when they were present when you were under my command.' Rain said. 'I'm sorry Sir.'
'Ask Teal'c where he is from.' She said smiling at Teal'c. 'Uh...where...'
'I am a Jaffa, I am from a planet called Chulak.' 'Oh, I see......' Rain could read he was clearly regretting taking this assignment. 'Any questions before we begin the tour Colonel?' Rain asked sweetly. Jack was begining to think she was enjoying this. 'Uh, no sir.'
'Then if you would like to follow me, please keep all belongings with you and keep all limbs inside the vehicle while it is in motion, thank you.' Rain began to leave the room, shooting a look at the General and SG-1 as if to say, 'I'm gunna have fun with this one.'

'So, uh Sir, how did you come to work here?' 'You want the truth?'
'Yes sir.'
'Well, after I was kicked out of the RAF I was unable to get a good job, lost my house, my car, had to move into a hellish flat and take several part time jobs just to pay the bills, then I moved to America, got another hundred sucky jobs and lived in a roach infested dump until I came to work here.' 'But are you able to work here what with your previous involvement with the English Air Force?' 'I'm here aren't I?'
He took a moment to consider this as they walked along the corridors. 'She is so different.' he thought. Rain smiled. 'Well, where would screaming at you get me? Anyway, you never gave me a chance in the first place.' He looked at her, not sure if he had said the previous statement out loud and hoping it was that as opposed to her reading his mind. 'So, who sent you Jonny?'
'Well she doesn't beat about the bush does she?' he thought. 'I never did.' She breathed.
'The RAF.'
'No, who informed the RAF?'
'Do you really expect me to tell you?'
'No, just giving you a chance before we have to torture you.' she smiled sweetly. His eyes widened until he realised she was joking, she was joking right? 'I'm teasing you Colonel.'
'So what rank are you here Jessica?' He said, calculatingly, she could tell he was trying to get to her. She smiled her sweetest smile, it made her want to throw up, but she did it all the same. 'I am without rank.'
'But you outranked the General.'
'No, I used to, now I don't have a rank.' 'Hmmmm. So where first.'
'I thought I would show you around the labs and other rooms in which we do our analysis, and leave the most interesting parts until last.' 'Of course.'
'Are you hungry? We could get some lunch if you are?' 'Actually I am a little.'
'Commisary is this way.'
'Commisary?'

Rain had waited at the table for the Colonel to get some food, in truth just seeing him again put her off even thinking about eating. She had been studying him and reading him, but in truth she didn't think he really knew who had informed the RAF of the Stargate project, he was sent as a diversion, the eager Colonel who was kept in the dark about the important information. She shook her head, this was a complete waste of time, she wasn't going to get any important information from him...or was she? The Colonel sat across from her, feeling excessively self conscious, not the overly confident Colonel who had walked into the base two hours earlier. 'So, Johnny, when were you promoted to Colonel?' 'End of last year.' He said between mouthfuls. 'I see. Can I ask a stupid question?'
'Of course.'
'Why did they send you?'
'Excuse me?'
'Please don't take this as an insult, but this is a very important visit, I was expecting someone of a higher position. Maybe Jacobs, or Lightfoot. Experienced airmen, good spies, people used to gathering all information about their surroundings. So far you have asked no questions about the base.' 'I was sent.' he said a little viciously. 'because I have proved myself recently and I am not the person you remember.' 'So tell me, what floor are we on? Where are the escape exits? What are the walls made of?' 'I don't understand.'
'You wouldn't.'
'What is that supposed to mean Jessica.' 'You have not even began to assess your situation, this is an excellent opportunity for espionage.....' 'We have no need to spy if you are giving us the information.' 'Only because someone informed you of the project, who was it?' He looked down. 'I don't know.'
'I know you don't.' she sighed. Something flashed through her head, a brief image from Lee...a man in a suit...Colonel Simmons. Rain narrowed her eyes. 'What?'
'Nothing.'
'Are you still angry that I got you kicked out?' he looked at her intently. She could tell he had been feeling guilty about it for a long time, he hadn't meant it to go as far as it had, he just wanted to ruin her name a little, not get her kicked out. 'No, I guess not, things turned out for the best. I should probably be thanking you actually.' Rain looked up to see 'her' Colonel had just entered the commisary. He caught her eye and asked her mentally if it was ok if he joined her. 'Johnny? Would it be ok if my C.O. joined us?' 'Of course, I am looking forward to getting to know the infamous Colonel O'Neill.' 'Imfamous?'
'Yes, he leads the leading team through the Stargate.' 'What else have you heard?'
'He's a great fighter, and never leaves any of his team behind.' He said, he clearly looked up to the image in his head of Colonel O'Neill. Rain looked to Jack to join them.
'Good afternoon Colonel Lee, Scott.' he joked. 'Rain is fine thank you sir.' She smiled at him. 'So, Colonel, what do you think of the base so far?' 'It is very interesting, thank you.'
'And what do you think Rain?' Jack asked with a grin. 'About the base?' she grinned and told Jack all she had learned from Lee in his head, asking him to inform the General. 'It needs to be redecorated, maybe some purples, yellows, reds, greens, blues.' she smiled. 'You not eating Rain?'
'I am not hungry sir.'
He scolded her in her head about the benefits of eating properly. 'Isis isn't either.' she said by way of defence. 'Uh, who is Isis?' Lee asked. Jack shot Rain a look. 'It's a nickname I have.' Rain said shooting Jack a look, he grinned at her warmly. 'Why do they not call you by your real name?' 'They did not know my real name until you came.' 'You have been pretending to be someone else?' 'Not quite.' Rain said.
'It's like this Colonel, there are aliens called the goa'ould, they resemble snakes with weird frills, anyway Teal'c carries a goa'ould embrio inside him as the Jaffa have done for centuries, Rain has one inside her called Isis, she is very powerful and can speak to us through Rain. Your Scott, is um....dead.' 'You have to excuse our Colonel O'Neill, he is not one for beating about the bush.' Rain grinned. Lee's jaw hit the table.
'Weren't expecting that were we?'' Rain said with a smile. 'You have a....a...uh snake inside you?' 'She has a name.' Rain said defensively. 'This.....uh...Isis?'
'Yes. How is your knowledge on Egyptian mythology.' 'Not bad, I guess.'
'Well what if I told you it wasn't mythology.' 'What isn't?'
'The Egyptian goddess Isis, she's inside me. All the gods and goddesses were goa'ould system lords, they visited Earth through the Stargate centuries ago.' Lee just stared at her in disbelief.
'Rain, why don't you show him some of Isis's.....powers.' Jack said with a grin. 'Ok... Lee, I think of a number between 1 and 1 million, it can be a decimal if you wish.' 'Uh....ok.'
'175.68' Rain said with a smile.
'How.....how the....?'
'It was Isis, she can read your thoughts.' 'So you were reading my thoughts earlier, I thought I was going crazy.' She smiled at him.
'You can not concieve of what the Stargate is, that is why I don't understand why they sent you.' Lee pushed his plate away and stared at Jack. 'We'll take you through later if you wish.' 'Through the gate?'
'No, I meant to Florida, of course the gate.' 'I can not believe how much you have changed sir.' Lee said, something bordering upon awe for Rain. 'I forgive you, it's ok.'
'Huh?'
'You were feeling guilty about getting me fired.' 'He got you fired?' Jack asked.
'Yes, but it's ok Colonel.'
'Oh, is it?' he growled.
Lee looked at him, a little worried about what he was going to do, he had heard of Colonel O'Neill's unorthodox methods from Colonel Simmons. Jack looked at him intently until Rain calmed him down. Jack sighed. 'Can't I scare him a litttle?' 'No Jack!' Rain told him mental, she smiled warmly. Lee saw the exchange and assumed Rain was using ESP. 'Are you two talking through your thoughts?' 'Yes.' Rain said stoically.
'I should head off.' Jack said standing before adding quietly. 'Before I do something I will regret later.' Rain giggled, Lee looked at her in surprise. 'We should get going too, we'll go visit Dr.Jackson first I think.'

They were walking down the coridors in silence, Lee making a conscious effort not to think so as Rain couldn't tell what he thought. 'I can tell when you are trying to block me out.' She said carefully. He looked at her in surprise. 'I've warned Daniel we are coming, but I can't remember what state I left the office in, so my appologises if it is in a mess.' 'You share an office with Dr.Jackson.'
'Yes, I am his assistant, he is our linguist, archaeologist, anthropologist...you name it he can do it, pretty much.' she smiled. 'He is a civilian.'
'Yes, as am I and Teal'c, well kind of...' she giggled. 'So SG-1 has two civilians and an ex RAF?' 'Yes.'
Lee grinned at her thinking how unorthodox the whole project was. 'Well, being orthodox doesn't really work when aliens have no idea of what the military is, or even speak our languages. That is where Daniel Teal'c and I come in, Isis has an exceptional knowledge of the universe's people as she has visited many planets.' They arrived at Daniel's office and knocked before entering. 'Hello...Dr.Jackson.' Rain said catching herself. 'Hello Rain, Colonel Lee.'
'I am pleased to make your aquintance Dr.Jackson.' Rain and Daniel grinned at each other.
'Wow! I've never seen the office look this tidy.' Rain grinned. 'Usually we have books everywhere and artefacts lying around.' She picked up a statuette of Bast and put it on a stack of papers on their desk. 'Is that real?' Lee asked pointing to the statuette. 'Yes, it's from Egypt, over 6,000 years old.' 'So Bast existed?'
'Yes, but the cat head was a helmet, she is dead now though.' Lee stood in wonderment looking at the many translations littering the office, along with ancient artefacts which were commonplace for Rain and Daniel. 'Please feel free to look around, ask us any questions. This is where all translating takes place, pretty much.' she grinned. Daniel smiled at her as they chatted together mentally. 'What is this?' Lee had picked up a photo graph of a goa'ould temple. 'That is a goa'ould temple, it is in honour of the system lord Ra. He's dead now though.' 'He's dead?'
'Yep, Daniel and Colonel O'Neill kinda killed him.' 'You did?' he looked at Daniel in surprise. 'SG-1 has also killed Hathor, Cronos and several other system lords.' 'So why haven't they killed Isis?'
Rain laughed. 'They couldn't if they wanted to. Isis is a Tok'ra, they are Goa'ould who are against the beliefs of the system lords and fight to destroy them.' 'So the goa'ould are gods?'
'No, but they think they are.'
'And Jaffa carry baby goa'oulds?'
'Yes.'
'And your friend....'
'Teal'c.'
'Teal'c carries one?'
'Yes.'
'And you will kill it?'
'No, it is not mature and we do not know what it will turn out like. If we remove the symbiote Teal'c will die unless another reaplaces it.' 'Is it a risk to you?'
'To the base, yes, to me, no. Isis can take it.' 'So you hear Isis's voice in your head all the time?' 'Yes.'
'Isn't that weird?'
'No.' She grinned. 'Would you like to speak to her?' 'Uh....sure.'
Daniel smiled, he liked talking to Isis, but rarely got the opportunity. Rain closed her eyes and a deep voice eminated from her throat. 'I am Isis, I am pleased to meet you Colonel.' Lee looked at her in fear, not having expected the deep voice. 'Uh......Hello...uh Isis.'
'You have no reason to fear me.' She turned to Daniel. 'Dr.Jackson, it is always a pleasure.' 'How are you Isis?'
'I am well thank you.'
She turned back to Lee. 'You are from England?' 'Uh....yes.....ma'am, sir...uh'
Isis laughed.
'There is no need for formalities Colonel. Rain has told me a lot about you.' He looked at his boots sheepishly.
'You wish to see the Stargate?'
'Yes...uh...Isis.'
She smiled at him.
'All in good time, there is much you must learn, gate travel can be very taxing for the Tau'ri body.' 'Tau'ri is Earth.' Daniel injected.
'Thank you Dr.Jackson.' Isis smiled at him. Lee had began to sway slightly as though he may faint. 'Are you unwell Colonel?'
'I'm...uh...fine.' he said before passing out and hitting the floor with a thud. Isis closed her eyes and began to laugh, as Rain this time. 'Was he this delicate when you knew him Rain?' 'Uh huh, which is why I can't understand why they sent him.' She picked him up. 'Could you come with me to the infirmary, I may need a witness to prove I didn't beat him up.' Daniel grinned. 'Sure.'

They arrived at the infirmary amid many strange looks as Rain carried Lee. 'Ok , what did you do to him?' Dr.Frasier came over grinning. 'He spoke to Isis, it was too much for him.' Rain giggled. 'Oh dear. How long has he been out?'
'About five minutes.'
'Ok, could you lie him on the bed for me please.' Rain put the Colonel down on the nearest bed, still giggling. 'How he ended up in the military I'll never know.' Daniel grinned at her.
'I found out who informed the RAF of the Stargate project.' Rain said, her voice tainted with anger. 'Who?'
'Oh, our best friend of course.'
'Maybourne?'
'Nope, Colonel Simmons.'
'Why would he do that?'
'I don't know....yet.' She said with a grin. 'Revenge is oh so sweet.' she giggled. 'And you look so innocent!' Daniel said with a smile. 'It's always the quiet ones.'
'I'm not like that.'
'Yeah you are, you just don't know it yet!' she giggled. Dr.Frasier was taking the Colonel's temperature, and performing the usual tests. 'He's fine, it's as you said, it's just shock.' 'Thank goodness I have your word on that, people will be thinking I've been trying to kill him.' The Dr smiled at her warmly. 'Would you do that?' 'Not unless he was trying to hurt any of you.' 'Well then, he should be ok.'
Just then the Colonel came around.
'Good morning Johnny, were we boring you?' Rain grinned. 'I'm so sorry......I just...'
'It's ok, it's a lot for you to take in.' 'That's an understatement.' he grinned sheepishly. 'Are you feeling ok? You hit the ground quite hard.' 'I'm fine thank you, we should get going.' 'If you are sure.'
'I am, where are we headed next.'
'To see Major Carter, she is incharge of analysing a lot of the data we collect from missions. She is also SIC to Colonel O'Neill.' 'So you have no rank or position what so ever?' 'Nope.' she grinned.
'I can not believe that.' he said a little too loudly. 'Gee thanks, was I that bad?'
'Yes.' he grinned for the first time since he arrived, he was being to feel comfortable around Rain now. Daniel raised an eyebrow. 'Power hungry huh?' 'No! I was not like that, I just loved my job.' 'Uh oh!'
'What?' Rain gigled.
'Well you love your job here, does that mean you are hoping to take over from the General?' Daniel feined horror. 'I can't get a rank, I'm not military!' Daniel smiled. 'You'll find a way.'
'hmmmm.'

Rain and Colonel Lee arrived at Carter's lab after getting the all clear from Dr.Frasier. 'Hi Major Carter.'
'Hi Rain, how are you? Uh....Colonel.'
'We're ok.' Rain said with a smile.
'Ok, this is where we do a lot of analysis, well Major Carter does.' Rain grinned. 'You help, you've been invaluable.' Sam said smiling, they were playing with each other. 'Please feel free to look around, ask questions, anything.....within reason.' Rain said with a smile. 'Have you found anything interesting yet?' Sam asked Rain mentally. 'Colonel Simmons told the RAF.'
'Seriously?'
'Yep.'
'Great, what is his problem, he's had a grudge against us since the begining.' 'That's not the problem, he is set on shutting us down and intends to do it by including the world's most powerful nations and informing them so they will want involvement and it will become a world project. He wants it to fall apart due to conflicts between nations. He isn't doing this by halves Sam.' Sam sighed. 'Why though?'
'He doesn't work for the pentagon as he said he did, well he does but he has another job.' 'He does? What is it?'
'I don't know yet, I'm having to piece together scraps.' Lee was watching them intently, wondering what they discussing, almost positive it had something to do with him. 'Major Carter?'
'Yes Colonel?'
'What is this?' He indicated a piece SG-1 had collected from the replicators. 'You don't want to know, trust me.' Rain said with a smile. 'It is a piece from a creature we encountered, they are called replicators and feed on metals and other alloys, they replicate themselves in huge numbers and eat everything in sight, they are a serious threat, although so far we have been lucky enough to stop them from reaching Earth.' 'Do you remember Meccano Johnny?'
'Sure, my son plays with it.'
'Well, the replicators look like spiders made from Lego or Meccano.' She giggled. 'But they are very dangerous.' She read him to find out about his son. 'Your son is called Jack? Aw!' Rain smiled. 'How cute. He must be nearing the end of primary school.' 'He is, it's his last year.'
'You married Jody!' Rain giggled. 'Oh dear, that was so predictable!' Lee grinned at her. 'That goes against protocol! No romance in the ranks!' 'She has left the Air Force to look after Jack.' Rain smiled.
Lee returned to looking around the lab. 'I can't get a clear idea of what Simmons is up to, his thoughts are so jumbled! It's competely cryptic, codes, numbers. He has conections in the NID.' Rain shivered a little. 'Well how could he not? He's as bad a Maybourne.' Sam added as they watched Lee walk around the lab. 'I really need to talk to the General about this.' she said looking a little worried. 'Why don't you take Colonel Lee down to Jack.' Sam grinned. 'Excellent idea.' she said with a smile. 'If that doesn't keep him occupied, I don't know what will.' They both smiled conspiratorilly.

Half an hour later they were with Colonel O'Neill in the briefing room, he was answering any questions Lee had about their missions. 'Could you both excuse me for a moment.' Rain said standing. 'Of course.' Jack said, his face devoid of emotion to throw Lee off the scent. 'Thank you Sir, I will not be long. Play nice gentlemen.' Rain said with a smile. Lee began to look a little worried about being left with O'Neill. 'Don't worry, his bark is worse than his bite.' Rain said to Lee in his head.

'I'm sorry to disturb you General, but this is important.' 'Please come in Rain.'
'Thank you.'
'What seems to be the problem.'
'This goes a lot higher than we thought General.' Rain said a little sadly. 'How do you mean?'
'Well, Colonel Simmons told the RAF, he intends to tell all the powerful military nations so that they all wish to be involved and the project gets torn apart. He wants the project to be destroyed, and it is more than a little personal. Also, he does not just work for the Pentagon, he has connections with NID and several other government aganecies I have never heard of, along with several oganisations that are nothing to do with the governement.' She finished looking at the General itently. He sighed deeply. 'So it definately wasn't an accident that the RAF found out?' 'No, and they sent Lee because, well I don't mean to be rude, but he would be the world's worst spy. He is completely in the dark about everything, in truth I think the RAF are, they are just part of Simmons plan, they aren't aware that there is a hidden agenda.' Rain rested her head on her hands. 'Can you gather any information about Simmons?' 'Not from Simmons himself, his thoughts are all numbers and codes, it means nothing to me or anyone else. He knows what I am capable of.' She sighed and looked down at her boots and the chewed up laces. 'I don't know how though, no body has ever told him, I think there is much more to this than we know.' Hammond looked at her, trying to comprehend how big this was and how Colonel Simmons was the puppeteer. 'I don't think he answers to anyone. He seems to be doing this by himself.' Rain said in reply to his thoughts. 'So what do we do? Wait until he tells the rest of the world about this?' 'Sir, if it helps I can remove any memory of today from Colonel Lee's head, I can replace the memories with, say memories of a deep space satelite base, or he could have memories of some other type of research facility.' 'We'll keep that as a last resort, I want to see what happens, keep a close eye on him.' 'Yes sir.'
'Report back at the end of the day.'
'Yes sir.'
'And Rain?'
'Yes sir?'
'We'll sort this out, don't worry.'
She smiled at him warmly. 'I know we will.'

When Rain arrived back in the breifing room, she had never seen anyone look as relieved to see her as Lee was. 'You ok Johnny?' She said with a smile. 'Uh...yes, I'm fine Jessi...I mean Rain, ma'am, sir...uh..' 'You been scaring him Jack?' Rain said mentally with a smile. 'Would I do that?'
'Oh of course not!' Rain implied sarastically. 'I thought maybe we could go see Teal'c next, I'm sure you would like to speak to a real live alien.' She said in a condescending tone, she knew how Lee felt about the idea of meeting an alien and wanted to remove the stigma. Lee's eyes widened in fear. Rain could read something coming from him. She looked to Jack. 'Colonel O'Neill is teasing Teal'c is a sweet heart.' Rain said before adding 'Trust me.' Jack smiled at her in mock innocence as she left the room. 'You have to tell me what you said to him later.' She said telepathically. 'If you tell me about the rest of your life, and I mean everything.' 'Promise.' She said with a bat of the eyelids.

Rain had warned Teal'c about Lee's preconceptions and was looking forward to seeing her strong but perfectly gentle Jaffa deal with this slightly fearful xenophobic Colonel. 'Greetings Teal'c.' Rain inclinded her head in respect to her old friend. 'Greetings Rain, Colonel Lee.' Teal'c's eyes smiled for Rain's benefit, but his mouth remained still. Rain could tell everything about Teal'c scared Lee, he was tall, excessively strong and he didn't really smile which gave the impression that he was cold, although Rain knew otherwise. 'Uh....greetings Mr.Teal'c.' Lee said carefully. 'Teal'c was the first prime of Apophis, a goa'ould system lord, before coming to work with us.' Rain said with pride, she was excessively proud of her friend, they had known each other a lot longer than either of them had realised and Rain felt deeply connected with Teal'c although she could not explain why. Lee nodded, not sure of what to say.
'If you have any questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.' Teal'c said calmy. 'Who was Apophis?'
'Apophis was a goa'ould system lord who believed he was a god, although he was no more powerful than you or I, his pride lead to his downfall.' 'Yeah, SG-1 have killed him twice!' Rain said with a smile. 'Twice? I don't understand.'
'Well, the first time, he wasn't really dead.' 'Oh, I see.'
Rain began to explain the circumstances to Teal'c mentally. While talking to Lee outloud so as not to arouse suspicion. 'Do you speak another language?'
'I do.' Teal'c said before saying a simple sentence in his native tongue. Rain answered with a smile.
'What did he say?'
'Why don't you ask him?' Rain said.
'I asked if you found the base interesting.' 'Oh....er....yes, it's fascinating.' He said, still sounding a little wary of Teal'c. 'Teal'c, may I?' Rain asked indicating his shirt. 'Of course.'
Rain lifted Teal'c's shirt so Lee could see the cross upon his stomach. Lee recoiled in horror.
'Come say hello Junior.' Rain sang.
The symbiote began to move behind Teal'c's flesh, Lee looked as though he may be sick. The symbiote pushed it's head through for a moment, then receeded again. Rain kissed her hand and pressed it to Teal'c's stomach before replacing his shirt. 'He was curious.' she by way of an excuse to Teal'c. 'You have one of those inside you?' Lee said to Rain. 'Yes, but she's bigger than that.'
'They can not live outside of your body?' 'No, they need hosts to survive.'
'And Teal'c needs a symbiote to live.'
'The Jaffa carry symbiotes from an early age, once the first symbiote is carried we can not live without one.' Teal'c said calmy. 'I see.' Lee said, looking a little scared. 'Can yours talk to you as Isis does to Rain?' 'No, it can not.'
'Isis can talk to me because she's in my head so to speak.' Rain continued to speak to Teal'c mentally. Lee watched them, he had been watching all day, but he didn't really understand it, he had been told nothing about aliens, or Goa'ould, or any such threats, he had been told they had found a new way to travel through space, nothing more. He wasn't sure how much his commanders knew, maybe they knew as much as he had done, but once they knew about this... Rain looked to him, nothing suspicious in her eyes but he assumed she was good at hiding her emotions, she was spying on him after all, that was why she had been asked to show him around. 'We can go take a look at the gate now if you would like.' Rain said smiling warmly. 'I'd like that. Goodbye Teal'c.'
Teal'c inclined his head. Rain bent down taking Teal'c's head in her hands and kissed his forehead, before saying goodbye in his native tongue. Lee watched her.

'Is there something going on between you and Teal'c?' Rain laughed at his remark as they walked the corridors to the gateroom. 'He is an old friend, I love him dearly but it is completely platonic.' she said with a smile. 'So are you married, or seeing anyone?' 'When did you get so nosey!' She said with a giggle. 'I'm sorry, I'm just curious.'
'It's ok. I'm not married but I am seeing someone, we're very happy.' 'Who is it?'
'No one you'd know.' she said with a guarded smile.

They arrived at the gateroom, the second they had stepped through the door she heard a gasp from Lee. 'Is that the gate?' He said in awe.
'Yes, beautiful isn't it.'
He was speechless. Rain lead him closer to the gate and up the ramp. 'It was Dr.Jackson who worked out how to use the gate. The symbols about the edge are similar to co-ordinates so each planet has a set pattern of symbols. This one is Tau'ri, Earth.' She said indicating the symbol. 'You know how to use this? How many planets have you visited?' 'Many, but I had visited hundreds with Isis. I know how to use the gate as they taught me.' 'Can we go through?'
'It's not turned on. We can go through later, we have a set time, we have to wait for SG-1.' 'Where will we go?'
'There are several uninhabited planets we have visited, probably one of those.' He looked at the gate with great interest, as though afriad to touch it. 'It doesn't bite, although it is very old, it's very strong.' He ran his hands over the symbols he could reach and traced them with his fingers slowly. 'It's incredible.' He said.
'What were you expecting, a space ship?' She giggled having seen the images he had had in his head before he had come. 'Who made these?'
'The ancients. We know very little about them, the knowledge we do have came from Isis. She is many thousands of years old and they existed long before she did. Many of the people's on the planets we visit originated on Earth, the ancients transported them through the gate.' Lee looked as though he may faint again. Rain grabbed his arm to steady him. 'I'm ok, it's just a lot to take in.'
'So they didn't tell you anything about what you were going to see here?' 'Not enough clearly.' he said with a smile. 'You knew that though didn't you?' 'I did. We aren't spying on you, we just want to know where the breach in security is, we can't let this get out, the project would be jeopardised or shut down. We have encountered Colonel Simmons before.' 'You have?'
'Yes, he wants the project destroyed, he has personal grudges towards myself and all of SG-1, he doesn't answer to anyone or any one body of power.' 'I thought him suspicious for telling us about it. Breaching US Air Force information, I mean UK and USA certainly aren't enemies, but we're not so close as to share this kind of information.' He stopped for a moment. 'I'm being used aren't I?' 'I think so, yes, but not by the RAF, I don't think they know any more than you do, they're all being used by Simmons, he has a hidden agenda and we need to know what it is, we think he is going to tell all the powerful military forces of the world, one by one so the project is torn to pieces.' 'I can see why you need to protect it.' 'I am glad of that.' she sighed.
'Jessica, why are you telling me all this.' 'Two reasons. I know I can trust you and if I can't well...'she grinned. 'I can wipe your memory.' 'Really?'
'Yep, but I won't, it's a last resort. Don't worry.' 'You trust me?'
'Sure, why wouldn't I?'
'Well we don't have a great history together...' She smiled. 'The past is exactly that, it's gone, it's done, the present is the important.' 'That is true.' He said.

Jack had finished pretending to work and could no longer sit in his office staring at the walls anymore. He made his way down to the gate, a little premature for their 'mission' with Colonel Lee. Hoping to 'accidently' run into Rain as he did about five times a day. He smiled to himself, one of the benefits of being a Colonel, not having to explain how you manage to run into your otherhalf every five minutes. He got to the gateroom to see Rain showing Lee the gate. They looked as though they were having a serious discussion so he asked Rain if it were ok to join them. She turned to look at him and smiled warmly. Colonel Lee turned to see what she was looking at and looked very afraid when he saw Jack. Rain giggled into her sleeve. Jack joined them, greeting them both warmly. 'Well hey there.' He said with a heavy drawl. 'Greetings Colonel.'
'Are y'all ready to be going through our quaint little gate thingy?' Rain giggled.
'As always sir.'
He looked at her and grinned.
'And yourself Colonel?'
'I am prepared.'
'Good, just gotta wait for the rest of the team' Jack began to talk to Rain rapidly in her head, they both discussed what was happening. Jack sighed. 'Kinda guessed it would go higher.'
'Yes, but we don't know how high.'
'Well don't worry your pretty little head about it.' he said with a grin. 'We'll fix it.' 'I know.' she said.
The rest of SG-1 filtered in at that moment, Sam with more equpitment than she could carry, Daniel with his hair in a bandana and Teal'c with his staff weapon. Rain smiled at them warmly. 'Ok people, this is simply a survey mission, work out the lay of the land, any usueful substances the usual...' Jack said. Before adding mentally to Rain 'Boring.' She smiled.
'Any questions? Good, then let's go.'
Jack signalled to Walter that they were ready and the gate began to dial up. 'Care to go first Rain?'
'Thank you sir.' Rain said stepping through the gate delicately. 'Uh...Colonel, why do you send Rain through alone?' Lee asked. 'Have you ever seen her fight?'
'Not recently.'
'Well, if you had, you wouldn't ask.' He grinned before following her through. Lee just stared at the spot O'Neill had occupied before following him through.

When they reached the other side, Rain grabbed Lee's arm as he came through. She managed to catch him before he fell to the ground. 'It takes a little getting used to.' Rain said in sympathy. 'You do this frequently?'
'At least twice a week.'
He looked at her in something approaching awe. 'Well, we should head out.' Jack said after checking the area was safe. 'Any inhabitants Rain?'
'Not that I am aware of.'
'How would you know?' Lee asked her.
'I can't hear any thoughts.'
'Oh, I see.'

They moved out to an area they had arranged to study due to its ground containing naqueda. 'So, you spend a lot of time doing surveys?' 'Nope, we usually get the interesting missions.' Jack said with a grin. 'Uh, Colonel?'
'Uh huh?' Jack said preoccupied.
'You know I said there weren't any inhabitants?' 'Yes...'
'Well, I was wrong.'
Jack raised an eyebrow.
'Uh.....how did you manage to get that wrong?' 'I can hear the thoughts of 13,000 creatures on this planet, I can hear the footsteps of insects, also I am blonde, I figure I have an excuse to be wrong sometimes sir.' Rain said without the slightest hint of bitterness, but had the sweetest smile on her lips. 'Rain!' Lee said to her.
'What?'
'I can't believe you talked to your C.O. like that.' 'He's knows I'm kidding around.'
'That's not the point..'
'Well, in truth it isn't important as a group of Jaffa have just been transported to the planet and are heading towards us.' Rain said with a smile. Lee's eyes widened in fear. Teal'c raised his staff weapon and Daniel, Sam and Jack pulled out zat guns. 'I can try talking to them sir.' Rain said. 'Ok, but if they show any signs of agression, you run.' 'Yes sir.' Rain said skipping off in the direction of the Jaffa. 'Colonel?'
'Yes Colonel Lee.'
'Uh, she wasn't armed.'
'Wasn't she?' Jack said with a wide grin, clearly pleased this wasn't going to be a boring survey. Lee began to move behind Sam and Daniel as the trees began to move with the force of the Jaffa pushing through them.

Rain was at the lead of the army, over five hundred Jaffa walking behind her, guns pointed at her back. She greeted them with a smile. 'Is she crazy?' Lee breathed.
'Of course.' Jack said smiling.
Rain stopped walking and turned to face the army. She began to speak in their native tongue. 'Jaffa, there is no need for hostilities.' 'Silence Shol'va' The leader hissed.
Rain smiled. 'Alas, you have me all wrong.' she purred. 'You killed Kalon, you helped kill Apophis and Chronos.' 'And who do you serve?'
'Thoth.'
'Thoth? Then I wish to speak with him.' 'You have nothing to bargain with, you can not make demands.' 'Actually, I can.' Rain closed her eyes. The air was filled with the sound of birds screeching, but the noise was distant, it began to get closer. The Jaffa turned to look at the skies to find a huge flock of birds circling their position, everything from the planet's equivalent to sparrows, to birds of prey, birds the size of eagles were soaring with those no bigger than bees. Rain looked to the Jaffa.
'Going to let me talk to Thoth yet?'
The birds began to circle lower, several breaking off from the main group and diving into the army of Jaffa. They threw up their arms to defend themselves, and in doing so dropped their weapons. Chaos ensued as the birds flew closer and closer, sharp beaks and talons finding their mark each time, the Jaffa were covered in cuts over their faces and hands. 'If you don't change your mind, I will call bigger creatures.' The leader began to consider her for a moment, until the largest of the birds swooped and took a chunk from his ear with her talons. Rain simply stood looking bored.
'You have five seconds.....'
'Call them off, you may speak with Thoth.' 'Thank you.'
Rain looked skyward and the birds began to break formation, flying back in the directions they had come from. the largest bird swooping down to land on Rain's shoulder. It was pure black with the darkest eyes the Jaffa had ever seen and it was looking at him with something like hatred in its eyes. He began to shudder. It shrieked at him, Rain smiling all the while. 'How is Thoth? I have not seen him in oh so long.' Rain said. 'He is well.'
'I am glad to hear it, let me know when you have set up communication with him, I must speak with my companions.' 'Very well.'
Rain walked back over to SG-1, stroking the bird's feathers all the while. Lee stared at her, fear in his eyes as though she may call the bird to tear his eyes out. 'Don't worry, she wont hurt you.' she looked him in the eye. 'And you know I wont hurt you.' Lee looked as though he wasn't sure. Rain giggled, the fire from her eyes was fading. 'I'm not even going to ask.' Daniel said with a grin. 'Oh, the birds?'
'Uh huh.'
Rain was lost in thought a moment.
'One second.' She spoke to the bird who left her shoulder and landed upon Jack's. 'That is one big bird Rain...' Jack said a little nervously. 'She wont hurt you.' Rain said over her shoulder as she ran into the trees. She came out several minutes later with a strange bird in her arms. 'An Ibis bird.' Daniel said.
'Yes.' Rain giggled stroking its feathers. 'That is the symbol of Thoth.'
'Exactly...'
'Thoth?' Jack said, his shoulder lowered somewhat under the weight of the bird. 'Those Jaffa answer to Thoth.'
'And he is?.....'
'A system lord, a kind system lord.' Rain added. 'A friend?'
'Uh, a little more than that where Isis is concerned.' Rain said blushing a little. 'I don't even want to know.' Jack said with slight jealousy tinging his voice. 'Is he coming here?' Sam asked.
'Well, they are stting up communications, but when he knows I am here.....' 'And the Ibis?'
'A gift, he loves them and treats them well.' She said more to the Ibis than SG-1. 'There's going to be another.....uh....goa'ould coming here?' Lee had broken out in a sweat. 'Chill Johnny, I'm not going to let anything happen to you. We could have shot our way through the Jaffa no problems, I just didn't want anything to happen to you.' 'Oh...ok' he said, not sounding convinced. 'You are such a show off Rain.' Jack said with a grin. 'Me?'
'Well, you couldn't just shoot the Jaffa, you had to provide an air display.' 'You know me....I have a system lord inside me, they don't do things in a boring way.' Jack smiled at her, flinching a little as the bird shifted her weight on his shoulder. 'Nimewhey alla mey.' Rain said looking to the bird. She flew back to Rain's shoulder, making the Ibis a little nervous until Rain began to whisper to it. 'Isis' The Jaffa leader called.
'Coming' She trotted off to the guards, SG -1 following at a distance, Jack rubbing his shoulder. 'Thoth wishes to see you. We are to appologise for how we treated you.' 'It is ok Jaffa, I am not offended.'
'Thoth will be arriving through the gate.' Rain turned to see the gate light up and ran to meet the figure stepping through.

Thoth stepped through regally, his head held high, his clothing perfectly arranged and clean, he looked like a marble statue his skin was so pale and smooth. Rain ran to greet him giggling. The bird on her shoulder alighting to a nearby tree. 'Thoth!' She squealed grabbing him about the ribs, the Ibis bird clutched under one arm, looking a little disgruntled. 'My lady Rain, Isis.' He said bowing before pulling a bouquet of beautiful white flowers from behind his back. 'Thoth, you remembered my favourites.' she giggled handing him the Ibis carefully. 'Rain, I have over five thousand of these birds due to you.' 'I know, but he was lonely here.'
Thoth smiled and took the bird.
'Are these your friends?'
'Yes. Colonel Jack O'Neill, Dr.Daniel Jackson, Major Samantha Carter. Teal'c and Colonel John Lee.' Thoth tilted his head in curiosity.
'I am pleased to meet you all.' he said warmly. He grabbed Rain about the waist and picked her up, swinging her in a circle before putting her down again gently. She giggled uncontrollably, then her face changed, it fell as though she had been told bad news. 'Thoth?'
'Yes dearest one.'
'How do you know Colonel Simmons?'
'WHAT?' Jack exploded.
'Who?'
Rain touched his temples and showed him who she meant. 'Colonel Simmons? His name is Seltak.'
'He's a god damned goa'ould.' Rain said, the realisation dawning upon her. She sighed. 'Thoth, how are you involved in all this?' He tilted his head slightly, his eyes glowing menacingly. 'Down!' Rain screamed as Thoth raised his palm level with the group. SG-1 threw themselves to the ground just in time, but the shot hit Rain in the back. She fell to the ground and tumbled down the steps leading up to the gate. 'RAIN!' Jack yelled running towards her. She was unconscious. By this time, Teal'c had raised his staff weapon and was firing on Thoth while his attention was turned on Sam and Daniel. He managed to shoot him in the shoulder, the system lord falling to his knees cursing Teal'c. 'Shol'va! Jaffa!'
His Jaffa guard came running from the trees all firing their staff weapons at SG-1. Jack ran from Rain's side and threw himself into the melee, shooting, kicking, taking out his agression on the Jaffa army. The bird Rain had had upon her shoulder previously had decided to join in and was raking her talons against Thoth's face. He screamed in pain, unable to aim his palm device as the bird was covering his eyes, he began to shoot randomly, knocking many of his soldiers off their feet and killing them as they hit the trees. Daniel and Sam were managing to protect Lee, who was unarmed, until Sam grabbed a staff weapon from a fallen Jaffa and passed her gun to Lee. He hesitated, his hands shaking in fear, the weapon shaking with it, unable to grip the trigger properly. 'Colonel, you have to help us, we can not hold them off alone.' Sam yelled at the stationary Colonel. As it was, they could not run for cover as they could not leave the Colonel. Jack was ploughing his way through the Jaffa, his path of destruction being evident in the slain Jaffa lying behind him, his face was cut and bloody, but he didn't seem to notice, his rage fuelled him to continue fighting. Daniel turned to look to Thoth who was still fighting the bird off, his face a bloody mess of scratches and cuts. The Jaffa, one by one stopped and stared at their god as he flailed his arms manically to stop the winged demon. They could not believe that a bird was harming their god, he was unable to stop it. The fighting stopped as the Jaffa's beliefs were crushed before their eyes. They dropped their weapons and stood watching their false god, morbid fascination causing them to freeze. Jack realised the fight had left them and ran over to Rain, who had not moved since being shot. Teal'c edged his way closer to Thoth and managed to shoot him once, ending his existance with one shot, the Jaffa walked over to examine the body, some hoping it was an imposter, that their god was somewhere else, but they were disappointed to find it was truely him.

Daniel and Sam joined Jack, Sam pushed him aside to try CPR on her limp form. 'Daniel dial home, we have to get her medical attention now!' Sam yelled between breathes. Jack picked Rain's body up and carried her carefully over to the gate while Daniel dialed home. Lee was still stood motionless, trembling, the gun in his hands. Teal'c walked over to him and hit him once across the face. 'We are leaving now Colonel Lee, Rain has been injured.' Lee snapped out of it when he heard she was hurt and ran over to the gate, still shaking.

Jack plunged through the gate, bearing his precious burden, pushing past the security, without a word to Hammond and ran all the way to the infirmary. 'What happened?' Hammond asked Sam when she stepped through. 'There was life on the planet, an army of Jaffa were transported down just after we arrived. They served a goa'ould called Thoth who Isis used to know. When Thoth arrived Rain read that he knew Colonel Simmons. Thoth denied knowing a Colonel Simmons. It transpired that he is a goa'ould called Seltak, Thoth and his guard attacked, Rain was shot in the back by his palm device. The Jaffa army fought with us until Teal'c killed Thoth.' She looked pained having to relive it again. Hammond turned to Lee. 'Are you ok Colonel?' The Colonel just stared at him, the gun still in his hands. 'We should go and see how Rain is. I think you should accompany us Colonel, you appear to be in shock.'

They arrived at the infirmary to find Dr.Frasier and her team rushing around Rain's still body. Janet charged up the defibrilator and pushed the padles against Rain's chest. Her body lurched violently, but nothing happened, the shrill siren from the ECG showing there was no heart rate, no brain activity, nothing. Jack stood nearby watching, his face etched with worry, his skin paled dramatically in the past five minutes, his eyes glazed over somewhat. The charge was increased and applied again, Rain's body jerked again, but still nothing. It was increased again, and again. Each time no response. 'I'm sorry, there is nothing more I can do.' Janet said, her eyes sad and tearful. 'Increase the charge and try it again.' Jack said his voice devoid of any emotion. 'Colonel, that won't...'
'I said try it again.' Jack yelled at the Doctor. She turned to look at Hammond who nodded. The charge was increased and tried again. 'Again.' Jack said.
It was increased again.
'Again.'
'Colonel, if we turn it up anymore....' 'Do it again.' Jack said quietly.
It was increased again and the paddles applied, her body lurched again, two marks where the paddles had been pushed against her chest. Nothing.... Janet sighed sadly and turned the defibrilator off and looked to Hammond sadly. The machine that measured her heart was still screaming it's continuous siren, until it began to bleep steadily. The Doctor looked up at the machine. Jack ran over to Rain's side. She still was unconscious but at least her heart was beating on its own and she was breathing. Jack picked up her pale hand carefully and held it between his own. The rest of SG-1 filtered in and sat around her bed in silence, Hammond hovering in the doorframe with Lee. Janet walked over to talk with the General. 'Sir, this machine is keeping her alive, there is still no brain activity...' 'She has come back from the dead before, she just needs a little time.' 'But sir?'
'Give her some time, stranger things have happened.' he said with a slight smile. 'Could you give Lee a check up, he appears to be suffering from shock.' 'Yes sir.' Lee followed the doctor into the infirmary his eyes locked on Rain the whole time.

The next morning arrived, the sky coloured a thousand shades of blue and pink, but it was ignored by the inhabitants of Cheyenne, for one they couldn't see it, and most of them were preoccupied by their friend lying unconscious in the infirmary. It was 7am and Jack was still by Rain's bedside, Daniel was asleep on the bed next to hers, his hand still clutching hers tightly, curled up in a foetal pose facing her, breathing softly. Jack sighed and watched them both, one sleeping naturally, the other had it inflicted upon her. But she was alive, even if it was artificially. Teal'c had resigned to his quarters to Keel'no'reem and hopefully to find wherever it was Rain's conscious mind was residing at present. Sam had gone back to her lab to analysise some results or something, Jack hadn't really been listening, but she had promised she would come back later. Colonel Lee on the other hand was still in the infirmary, sat against the wall staring at Rain in silence. He was begining to creep Jack out, but Dr.Frasier said he was just in shock. Jack rubbed his eyes tiredly, he hadn't slept at all last night, he hadn't wanted to, he found it impossible without Rain by his side now anyway. He just sat and held her hand, keeping a silent watch, while thinking thoughts to hopefully wake her up.

9am Teal'c arrived back at the infirmary, looking as tired as when he had left four hours earlier. 'I had no success on contacting Rain's subconscious.' he said more than a little sadly. He sat down on a nearby chair and watched Rain breathe, willing her to wake up. Daniel's foot twitched in his sleep, he clutched Rain's had tighter before settling again.

10.15 Sam arrives in the infirmary, her eyes red, dark circles beneath them. Daniel woke up, not realising where he was, until he turns to see Rain. 'God, I was hoping that was a terrible nightmare.' he said moving closer to Rain, her hand still clasped in his. Jack didn't move, didn't even acknowledge that anyone had spoken, he was still talking with Rain, hoping eventually she would wake up like she did last time. Janet came over to check Rain's vitals. 'There has been no change Colonel.'
Jack didn't look up.
'We can not keep her alive like this for long Colonel, her body will atrophy much quicker than ours would, also Isis will die if she continues to remain like this.' Jack just looked up at her sadly, then looked back down at Rain.

11am Daniel has taken to reading to Rain in an attempt to stimulate a response from he in some way, in truth it's just annoying Jack..

11.15 The monitors begin to beep loudly, an alarm is set off and Dr.Frasier runs over. 'What is it?' Jack asks, the panic rising in his voice. 'Cardiac Arrest.'
'Can't you use the defibrilator?'
'I'm setting it up, but I don't think it will have an effect.' 'Try anyway.' Jack said a little more viciously then he meant to. The paddles are applied and her heart starts again. 'STOP!' Rain screams.
'Rain?' Jack looks to her quickly, but she is still again. Dr.Frasier hesitates with the paddles. 'I think we should stop.' Jack says sadly. 'We have brain activity.' Dr.Frasier says triumphantly. 'But no heart rate? No breathing?' Sam asks quietly. 'No...'
'Last time,' Jack says quietly. 'She said Isis had to stop her heart and breathing so she could repair her body.' Janet packed the defibrilator away and pretended to busy herself with some files, just so she could stay nearby.

The General walked in some time later to check on her. He noticed Jack hadn't left her side in 14 hours. 'Jack, I think you should go take a rest.' 'I'm fine General.'
'Jack, she draws her strength from you, she is not going to be able to do that if you are exhausted.' 'I'm fine General.'
'I am ordering you to at least go and get something to eat.' 'General, I'm fine.'
'That is an order Colonel, we will send someone for you if there is anychange.' Jack stood grudgingly and bent down to kiss Rain on the forehead gently, before promising he would be back soon.

Daniel moved closer to Rain, just so that she didn't feel alone, he began to speak to her softly again, barely audible. 'Dr.Jackson.' The General pointed to Rain. Daniel turned to look back at Rain, her eyelids were flickering. The General called to an airman to retrieve Colonel O'Neill before returning to her bedside. Rain's eyes snapped open, focusing straight away upon Daniel. 'Daniel?'
'Yes hunny? Oh god am I glad you are awake.' 'Can I ask something of you?' Her voice was barely audible. 'Anything.'
'Come closer.'
Daniel bent down until his face was inches from hers. 'Closer.' She whispered, clearly it was an effort for her to speak. Daniel moved closer until his face was an inch from hers. Rain grabbed his collar and pulled his mouth to hers and held it there with her hands. She remained like that for several seconds before her grip losened and her head fell back against the pillow and she was unconscious again. 'What in the hell?' The General looked at Daniel in surprise. 'Uh.......I think.....' Daniel said swaying slightly before sinking into a seat. 'I think....Rain just sent Isis into me.' Daniel clutched his head. Jack came running in at that moment, out of breath, eyes wide with anticipation. 'What happened?' He gasped.
'Rain woke up for a moment.'
'A moment?'
'Yes.'
'What the hell happened Daniel?'
'She woke up and asked if I would do something for her, I said anything and she pulled me close and uh....kinda kissed me. Anyway, Isis is now inside me and Rain passed out again.' 'Isis is no longer inside her?'
'No.' Daniel said looking a little disorientated. 'Rain's dead?'
Daniel's eyes widened as he understood what it meant if Isis left Rain's body. Daniel rushed to her side and put a hand on her forehead. 'She's cold.' Daniel said.
Jack closed his eyes in pain.
'I want to talk to Isis Daniel.'
'Give her a minute.'
'WHAT?'
'She's exhausted, I can feel it.'
Jack sank into a chair next to Rain's bed and picked up her hand gently, pressing it to his lips. The General sat watching the scene not sure of what to do or say. Daniel closed his eyes and when they reopened a deep voice eminated from his throat. 'You wished to speak to me Colonel O'Neill?' 'I think we are past the formalities.' he said wearily. 'Is she dead?' 'Yes.' The voice was sad, Jack had never heard sadness in a goa'ould's voice before. 'Can't you help her?' Jack said desperately. 'I tried, there is nothing more I can do, I am exhausted.' Jack looked down at the pale creature in the bed next to him, she looked so alien as she was usually so full of energy and life. 'When I am rested I will attempt to revive her, but by then it may be too late.' 'Do you think it is possible though?'
'Yes, I can repair any damage, but bringing back her consciousness will be the problem, if it remains here it will be possible, if she crosses it may not.' 'She's still here.' Jack said determinedly. 'I know, I can feel her also.'
Jack kissed her hand again and looked back at Isis. 'I miss her too Jack.'
'I know you do dear.' he said uncharacteristically. He stood and walked over to Isis/Daniel. The two embraced briefly before Jack returned to his seat. 'Know that I will do whatever I can to bring her back to us.' 'I know you will, she'll be fine.' Jack said sadly, but as though he believed it. Daniel's eyes closed again and he was speaking again. 'That was the weirdest sensation.' he said. Jack half smiled at him before returning his gaze to Rain. 'Isis can do it Jack.'
'I know she can.'
'She says she will only stay with me temporarily, I like having her here, it's like Rain's still here. Isis says she takes pieces from all her hosts, Rain is definately the strongest, it's like hearing her talking in my head.' Jack looked up at him and sighed deeply.

Daniel was asleep in the next bed, he explained that Isis needed him to rest so that she could. She then joked that Daniel was much easier to live in, Rain would never rest until exhaustion set in. Jack grinned. 'That's my Rain dancer for you.'

Sam had joined them again and was sat trying to get a response from Colonel Lee who hadn't spoken since they had come back through the gate. After twenty minutes she gave up and sat next to Jack. 'Are you ok Sir?'
'I will be.'
'Can I get you anything?'
'No, thank you, I'm ok.'
'You should try to sleep sir....'
'General Hammond and Dr.Frasier couldn't get me to sleep, you sure are sure of yourself there Major.' She grinned.
'Ok, I wont try that one again. Uh sir?' 'Yes Carter.'
'This is going to sound a little crazy...' 'Only a little?'
'I can still feel her here.' Jack looked at her and smiled. 'Good, cause you'd sound crazy if you said you couldn't.' 'Isis says she is still here?'
'Yes, she's sure of it.'
'That is good news.'
'Yep.' Jack said looking at his sleeping beauty. 'She looks like she's asleep.' he said with a catch in his voice. 'Well, if Isis can bring her back to us, she is just asleep.' 'She's so cold.' Jack sounded like a child pointing out the obvious. Sam put her hand on his shoulder for a moment. Her eyes begining to fill with tears. She laughed bitterly. 'I promised myself I wouldn't cry.' Jack put an arm around her shoulder.
'There's nothing wrong with crying, Teal'c came close earlier.' he said with a slight grin. 'Where is Teal'c?' Sam said trying to change the subject. 'He is trying to communicate with Rain.' 'Oh.'
'That's what I said. Do you know what the worst part is? It's the waiting, not knowing one way or the other.' 'I know.' Sam said softly.

Three days had passed, SG-1 were off duty until they knew if Isis was able to help Rain or not. The General came between the infirmary and the gateroom, most of the base had been in to see her. Colonel Lee had finally been promted into speech the day before, blaming himself for all that had happened. He had been sent to his quarters to sleep, on the promise that he would be informed as soon as they knew anything. Teal'c had taken to meditating in the infirmary, the place now full of candles, although he had promised to remove them once Rain was conscious as she was a pyrophobic. Daniel had spent most of the time sleeping for Isis's sake. He awoke midday, his eyes bright with energy, in a similar way Rain's eyes used to shine. 'How you both feeling?' Jack asked with a kind smile. 'Really, good.' Daniel said. 'Isis is good too, she says we can try soon, once she is fully established in my body.' Daniel said with a slight shiver. 'She isn't sure my body can take all her powers in one go so she is introducing them one by one.' 'Can you mind read?' Sam said looking to Rain sadly. 'That's next.' Daniel said looking a little nervous. He still hadn't gotten the hang of talking to Isis and still answered her out loud. 'I know it's nothing to worry about, but I'm still nervous.' Daniel looked at Jack carefully, he looked a lot older, exhausted and completely drained, he hadn't slept for over four days and it showed. As each day passed, he grew more worried about Rain, knowing the longer they left it, the harder it would be, but he didn't want to rush Isis, he was just as worried about her. 'Uh oh.'
'What?'
'Isis is going to try the mind reading thing.' Daniel said looking a little worried. A second later he was grabbing his head and collapsing into a chair. 'You ok?' Jack asked.
'How can she cope with this?' Daniel asked. 'What's wrong?'
'I can hear all your thoughts, as well as all creatures within a miles radius, including insects and animals.' he said looking a little stircrazy. 'It's difficult to distinguish and seperate them.' He looked at Jack intently.
Then to Sam. His eyes softened towards her and he took her in his arms. 'It's going to be ok Sam.'
She looked a little shocked, but hugged him back appreciating the comfort. Daniel stood stock still for a moment.
'Isis, is that? It's Rain! I can hear her!' He looked around the room, maybe expecting to be able to see her as well, but was unable. 'What is she saying?' Jack asked leaping from his seat. 'She says to stop worrying, she isn't going anywhere....and she's singing a song.....' 'I bet I can guess which one.' Jack said with a grin, his face showed his relief. 'Ok, go for it.'
'I'm not singing.'
'Well say it.'
'Ok...Your face was painted grey, but baby it's a shame to say, I miss you.' 'Yeah, how did you guess?'
'Because she is always singing that song, it'll drive you crazy if you wait long enough. Daniel laughed.
'She just got to the chorus right?'
'Yep, that song is very Rain!'
'What is it Daniel Jackson?' Teal'c asked. 'I'm just a Dreamer.' Daniel grinned. He concentrated for a moment. '...take me to another place, before these pictures fade away... That's eloquent.' Daniel said a little sadly. 'She's stopped.' 'That's because the next line is 'Don't wake me.' Jack said. 'Oh I see, she wants us to wake her. Rain?' Daniel smiled. 'What is it?' Sam looked to Daniel's smile then at Rain's still body. 'She thinks we're all soppy, she says if we don't cheer up, I quote 'I'm gunna kick all your asses.'' Daniel grinned. 'Yep, that sounds like her.' Sam said looking around her, not sure where Daniel was hearing her from. 'You can't see her.' Daniel added as he watched Sam. She grinned sheepishly. 'I know.'

Two hours later, Isis was preparing to help Rain. The candles had been extinguished at Rain's request and everyone had given Daniel and the bed some space, even Jack who had to be pried away. He stood in the doorframe, looking over Daniel's shoulder, watching all that was happening, looking around at the expectant faces...Janet ready with every kind of equiptment she could get her hands on, Sam clearly trying to work out in scientific terms how this would work. Jack smiled at Sam, who's eyes had glazed over in concentration over some formular, or suchlike. Teal'c was stood against the adjacent wall, his whole body tensed like a man about to go into battle, he clearly wanted to help Rain find her way back and would do so mentally. General Hammond was stood behind the window watching from outside, not wanting to get in the way. Colonel Lee stood next to him, his face a mixture of fear and anticipation. Daniel was clearly loving this! Jack thought. He played the voodoo priest very well, his whole body stood still concentrating, his eyes closed, his eyelids flickering with his thoughts. He'd bet 50 bucks Rain was in hysterical laughter at them all wherever she was at present. Daniel turned to him and said; 'Rain says you're right. What does she mean?' 'I'll tell you later Danny.' Jack said with a huge grin. Daniel decided not to give in to his insatiable curiosity for Isis' sake.

Daniel approached Rain's body and put his hand against the back of her neck, tilting her head backwards so her mouth was open. Daniel quietly consulted Isis before holding his open mouth against hers. Several moments later Daniel stepped away, his legs shaking slightly, and sat down, watching Rain's body intently as if she would spontaneously combust if he took his eyes off her. He took a sidelong glance to check on Jack, the whole time he had been able to read his mind he hadn't sensed more than a second's thought that this wouldn't work, he had complete confidence in Isis, and Rain's strength and it was apparent on his face.

Jack's eyes were locked on Rain. His whole being willing her to wake up, although he wasn't really worried, he knew what Isis was truely capable of. He could see everyone in the room also willing her to wake up, Teal'c the most obviously, his fists clenched and trembling from the effort. Sam was also looking deep in concentration. Then...suddenly Rain's eye lids flickered for a moment. Jack rushed to her side and picked up her hand carefully. 'Come on hunny, you can do it.' He could feel her hand was a little warmer, the blood must be working through her veins again. This thought was answered by the heart machine beeping into life. Sam's eyes were beginging to sting with tears so she just let them come, even Majors cry sometimes. She looked around to see everyone else was crying, appart from Teal'c who was still tensed and concentrating, he probably wasn't aware of what was happening. Daniel wiped his eyes and sniffed as Rain opened her eyes slowly. Her hand shot up to cover her eyes from the harsh lights of the infirmary. 'Good morning.' Jack said cheerfully, his eyes full of tears he wouldn't allow himself to cry. Rain smiled, her eyes a little out of focus. Daniel ran over, unable to keep away from her a moment longer. He threw his arms around her neck and sobbed into her shoulder. Rain smiled sadly and stroked his hair slowly, nuzzling into his neck affectionately. The silence was broken by Dr.Frasier being unable to keep her sobs quiet anymore, Sam joined her. They both stood by the bed, trying not to cry,but the effort made the tears come more quickly. Teal'c stepped over to the bed and smiled warmly at Rain. 'Thank you.' she mouthed silently.

The next day Rain was feeling a lot better, she still was unable to speak, but Isis was working on that. Her bed was drowned in bouquettes of flowers, her favourites being from Teal'c who had picked them from around the base, she smiled sweetly as he handed them to her. 'They are not as asthetically pleasing as the others.' he said. 'I love them.' she told him mentally as Jack found a pencil pot to put them in. He grinned at her. She had had visits from ninety percent of the base, most of whom were skiving work to see her. Daniel was asleep again in the bed next to hers, his hand clasping hers again. She smiled at he twiched in his sleep. Sam came in a moment later, her arms laden with books, most of them had been taken from Daniel's office. 'I brought as many as I could carry.' Sam said from behind the books, she put them on the bedside table, moving several makeshift vases and placing them on top of the books. Rain thanked her in her head, explaining that the infirmary was the most boring place on earth as she was not allowed to leave the bed. Janet had threatened to restrain her last time she had caught her attempting to go for a walk. Jack pushed a lock of hair that had fallen into her face behind her ear and stroked her cheek. 'How're you feeling?' Sam asked.
'We're both fine thank you.' Rain informed her. 'Do you need anything else?'
'No thank you.'
'Ok, I'll be back later, I have to finish my report on our last mission, we're going to nail Simmons if it is the last thing I do.' Sam said determinedly. Jack looked at her in surprise. She was not one for grudges...usually. Sam grinned. 'What?' She said in mock innocence, walking from the room smiling.

That evening Jack sat next to Rain on her bed and they talked silently about her out of body experience. She thanked him for his undying faith, but he was a little surprised to find that Teal'c had more faith. 'Not once did he stop believing.' she informed him silently. 'Really?'
'Of course, Teal'c has such faith, it's one of the things that kept my consciousness here.' she whispered shivering a little. 'Are you ok?' he said putting his arm around her shoulders. 'I am, I just found the whole thing a little unsettling, the silence nearly drove me crazy.' she said with a smile. 'Daniel can't believe you can hear that all the time.' 'Not all the time, sometimes I can hear every thought of every living entity on this planet, that is scary.' Jack smiled warmly.
'Did you miss me?' Jack asked with a guarded smile. 'More than you would believe, being able to see you and hear you, but unable to touch you or 'hear' you was hellish.' He held her close. 'It's over now.'
'It's not yet.' she said matter of factly. 'What do you mean?'
'I'm weak as a kitten hun, weaker even. I can't even lift my hands at the moment, it's taking all my strength to sit up.' He moved his arm so it was under her arms, holding her up. She smiled, tired.
'So, you could still.....'
'I'm not here to stay yet.' She said ominously. 'Please don't say that.'
'I could lie..' she told him with a grin. 'No, that's worse. You look exhausted, you should get some sleep.' 'That one didn't work on you!'
'Yeah, well....I'm...'
'Stubborn as hell?'
'Yeah.' he grinned.
'Well I'll sleep if you do.'
'I don't want to leave you.'
'Who said you had to?'
'You want me to stay here?'
'Of course, but don't hog the covers.'
Jack removed his boots and rested his head on her chest.

'Aw!'
Jack woke up with a start to see Sam cooing over him with a giggle. He rubbed his eyes and snapped at her grumpily. 'Haven't you got work to do Major?' Rain scolded him in his head.
'I'm sorry Carter, you caught me off guard.' She smiled. 'I was teasing. I'm glad you're actually sleeping after five days.' He yawned and stretched before standing up. Rain tried to sit up against the head board, but it was clearly too much for her. Jack rushed to help her up.
'Damn I hate this.' Rain grumbled to him. 'What?'
'Being at you mercy.' she grinned.
'You could still kick my ass.' he said, quoting her from the last time. 'I very much doubt it, I doubt I can lift my foot.' she giggled silently. Sam inclined her head in curiosity.
'Rain's too weak to kick my ass.' Jack said by way of explanation. Sam grinned, knowing excatly what kind of ecxchange had just occured. 'Well, my money is still on her.' she said grinning. Daniel ran in then, looking a little flushed, his glasses half way down his nose. 'Colonel Simmons is here.'
Rain sighed. 'Does he know, we know?' She asked him. 'I think so, he's asking after Isis.'
'Damn' Rain cursed.
'Ok, any of you wanna play goa'ould?'
'Huh?' Jack asked.
'He wants Isis, he isn't going to stop til he gets Isis, so, one of you is going to have to....' 'I'll do it!!!' Daniel nearly screamed. 'Whoah!' Rain smiled.
'Rain, are you sure you will be ok without her?' 'For a short time..'
'How long?' Jack asked her.
'Two, three hours, no more.'
'I'll do it.' Jack said in a no-arguements type of voice. 'How do you know Isis will accept you as a host?' Rain said smiling weakly. 'Well, I'm willing to try, I can't see you doing that with Daniel again.' He said with a sheepish smile. Rain grinned. 'Fine, come here.'

Colonel Simmons was seated in General Hammonds office when Jack walked in confidently. His head was killing him, but he was hiding it well, Isis giving him instructions on how to deal with a goa'ould while they walked. He had left Teal'c to watch over Rain, she had lost consciousness when Isis had left her body, but her heart and breathing were fine. Colonel Simmons looked up.
'I'm sorry to disturb you sir, but apparently our friend was asking after Isis.' 'He was, I told him it would not be possible to speak to her, due to her condition.' 'She wishes to speak to him.' Jack said closing his eyes. 'Greetings Seltak.' Isis said confidently. 'How do you know of that name?' The voice coursing through the Colonel's mouth was goa'ould. 'Thoth informed me.'
'Thoth? When did you speak with him?'
'Six days ago, just before he died.'
'I was told he was killed by a bird?'
'And who do you assume sent that bird?' 'You killed Thoth?'
'Yes. You thought that because we had a history he could get past me?' 'Yes.' Seltak looked at her vemonously. 'Who are you Seltak?'
'I am the son of Kalon.'
Isis laughed.
'I should have known.'
'You find it amusing?'
'Yes. I do not see how it escaped me though.' 'Ah! That would be because I have inherited my mother's skill with chemicals.' 'Hathor!'
'Yes. I am capable of making even goa'ould think what I want them to.' 'I see.' Isis grinned, or Jack did, the General was not sure who. 'And you want revenge because I killed your father? How predictable.' Isis said in a bored tone. 'Not just that.'
'You want Earth to be yours?'
'And?'
'You want to watch me die painfully?'
'And?'
'Oh grow up, I tire of your games, you are as annoying as Kalon!' Isis spat. 'Hmmmm. You will bow to me before I am through with you.' 'Only if you cut my host's hamstrings will I bow to you.' Jack cringed. Isis reassured him everything would be fine. 'You do trust me?' 'Of course.' He told her.
'Good.'
'So, Seltak, what do we do now?'
'Fight.'
'For crying out loud!'
The General looked to Isis in surprise, she shrugged and grinned. 'I don't know if your father told you about me, but you are no match for me.' 'Modest as always Isis.'
Isis (or Jack) kicked Seltak in the jaw. 'Now that wasn't very ladylike.' Seltak said wiping the blood from a cut where Jack's boots had caught. 'Bite me.' Isis said kicking him in the stomach, then the head again. 'Not quite so confident now huh?'
Seltak lay upon the floor, his blood staining Colonel Simmons crisp white shirt. Isis stood over him.
'Either you leave, or I take you out.'
Seltak just stared at her.
'You wouldn't dare.'
'Then you were misinformed.' Isis said reaching her arm into Simmons throat. She forced Seltak into his mouth mentally and pulled him out. He writhed in her hands. Simmons choked and grasped his throat.
Isis called to several guards who escourted the Colonel down to the infirmary. Seltak was still writhing in Jack's hand. He closed his eyes again and spoke to the General. 'Er...what do you want me to do with...' He cringed at the slimy creature in his fist. 'Destroy it.'

Rain smiled as Jack told her what had happened, his hips were hurting when Isis had kicked Seltak in the jaw, his leg really was not supposed to go that high. 'Isis appologises profusely.' Rain giggled, her voice repaired recently by Isis. 'It's ok, I suppose.' Jack said with a grin. 'I'm disappointed I didn't have time to try out the mind reading thing though.' 'Why?'
'So I really know what everyone thinks of me.' Sam grinned. 'You don't want to know sir.' 'That could count as insubordination Major.' Sam giggled. Rain smiled at him in mock sympathy. 'Aw!!!!!! Poor baby.' She giggled. Teal'c raised an eyebrow in confusion. He was still by Rain's side, not having left for the last six hours. 'I miss Anubis.' Rain said sadly.
'Well....' Jack said with a grin. 'I got special permission..' Daniel walked in, Anubis yanking his arm out of its socket by pulling on the lead. He leapt onto the bed and proceeded to lick Rain's face. 'Ew! Who's been looking after him?'
'Janet again. She's growing quite attached to him, it been any other dog, he wouldn't have been allowed in here.' Rain spluttered as she was drowned in slobber. The dog moved onto Teal'c who creased up his face as the dog licked his nose. Rain giggled. 'He likes you Teal'c.'
Teal'c looked at her in what could only be described as horror. Rain smiled, then cringed. 'Ow!' she grinned. 'Can we get you anything Rain?' Daniel asked sympathetically. 'No thank you, I'm fine, kinda.' She closed her eyes for a moment, Jack clapsed her hand a little tighter. 'So what was Colonel Simmons story then?' Rain opened her eyes again. 'Well, we can't tell if he was telling the truth, we were hoping for your help on that one.' 'Ok, I'll go down and speak to him tommorow, Isis is a little tired and I've been told if I leave the bed again today Dr.Frasier is going to carry out her threat of strapping me to the bed.' she grinned. Sam grinned. 'It's for your own good.'
'hmmmm. So what is his story at the moment?' 'He says he was approached by an old man who offered him power and wealth if he would help him, he was curious and met up with him to find the man was dying. The goa'ould Seltak was inside him, and when the man died, Seltak managed to get inside Simmons, he's a little vague about the details.' 'I'll get them out of him.' Rain grinned. 'No you wont missy, you aren't leaving here until you're better.' Jack said scoldingly. Rain smiled at him and he softened a little, then he worked out what she was doing. 'You can smile sweetly at me all you like, you're still staying here!' She giggled. 'What ever you say sir.' then she added under her breath 'I'd like to see you stop me.' He looked at her then said 'I heard that missy.'

The next day Colonel Lee visited Rain, begining to appologise the second he got through the infirmary door. 'Rain, I'm so sorry, I never meant for this to...' 'Stop that!'
'But I am, it's all my fault, everyone stayed to protect me, I froze, I got you hurt...' 'No, you didn't, stop it.'
'Jessica....'
'Don't even think of starting the appology again while I'm distracted by that name.' He grinned slightly. 'Sorry.'
'I said stop.'
'I'm going back tommorow...' He trailed off. 'What are you going to tell our dear friend Jacobs?' 'That Colonel Simmons was insane, and that you study deep space satelites.' he grinned. 'I figured I owe you all, it's not going to help anyone if the world knows about this.' 'Thank you.'
'It's the least I can do.'
She gestured for him to come closer, then grabbed him about the neck, hugging him tightly. 'What was that for?'
'New beginings, friendship....whatever you want.' she giggled. 'I got you wrong, I sorry about what happened before....getting you kicked out....' 'We've already been over this.'
'I know, I just want you to know I'm sorry.' She tapped her head. 'I can't not know really.' He smiled warmly, then bent down and hugged her again. 'You should come back and visit.' he said warmly. 'So should you, you never know what new things we'll discover with our 'deep space satellites.' He grinned. 'How many system lords have you killed now?' 'Not enough.' she giggled.

SG-1 stood about the gate, Jack holding onto Rain's arm, she had been allowed out of the infirmary to say goodbye to Colonel Lee, on the promise that she would come back straight after. Rain had smiled sweetly at Dr.Frasier, but had promised nothing. Johnny stepped forward to embrace Rain. 'I think I'm going to miss you.' he said sounding surprised. She giggled. 'We'll call each other, visit, I want to meet your son, Jack.' Jack looked at her then grinned. 'Cool name.' he said to Lee as he shook his hand. Johnny grinned. After everybody had said their goodbyes Colonel Lee was escourted from the base, his case full of photographs of the 'base', they had managed to get pictures from NASA of their deep space projects, so Johnny could convincingly tell them of the Stargate project.

Rain sank into a chair and wrapped her arms about herself. 'You ok missy?' Daniel asked.
'I'm fine, just a little cold, I'm having trouble keeping temperature, but it'll be fixed soon.' 'You sure?'
'Yep.' She rose and hugged him tightly. 'You're so sweet.' He blushed a little and pushed his glasses back up his nose. 'So, we go back to normal life....'
'Normal? What's normal about our lives? Can you define normal?' Rain giggled. 'I guess you're right.' He looked at her. 'You miss Colonel Lee don't you?' 'Yeah, I guess I do....for so long he was the evil guy who got me kicked outta the RAF, but he is saving us a lot of trouble.' 'Yeah, he seemed like a nice guy when he got over himself.' They both smiled.
Jack knocked on the half open door before entering, being dragged along by Anubis. 'I think we got ourselves a sniffer dog, he found you.' 'With a little help from you I'll bet.' she grinned and picked up the dog and hugged him. 'Come on missy, we should get you home, you're shivering.' 'Ok, see you tommorow Daniel.' She kissed his cheek softly. 'Oh no, you aren't coming to work for the rest of the week missy, you have to rest.' 'As I said, see you tommorow Daniel.' she grinned.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Rain