Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Valentine (4)

by Rain
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Valentine (4)

Valentine (4)

by Rain

Title: Valentine (4)
Author: Rain
Email: raven_guest@hotmail.com
Category: Action/Adventure, Humor, Romance, Series
Season: any Season
Pairing: Jack/other
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: violence
Summary: 4th in my Rain/Isis series, I would recomend reading the others first.In this episode SG-1 are visiting a planet Rain has come across before and they run into an old 'friend'
Sequel to: 'Monsoon', 'Return of the Rain' and 'Isis'
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

SG-1

Episode;

Well, after having not been on this planet for several years, and now kinda having my life dictated by the SGC, I am now starting to fit in more with present day America. In truth Jack prefers it when I do make mistakes as he finds it sweet, like the time I went into a music shop and asked for records! Ok records were fading out when I was last here, but I never realised it would happen so drastically. Everyone had thought cds wouldn't catch on- how wrong we were! And I really can't understand Jack's obsession with Fruit Loops, ick! Fruit flavoured things with milk, ew! And how can people eat pancakes for breakfast-but I guess that's the English in me. Yes I'm addicted to tea and crumpets, I'm such a cliche, Jack loves it, he keeps talking about me being an English Rose or something. I don't think so, well the thorn part is right. Anyway, Valentine's day is coming around and back home when I was about 17-18 my friend's and I used to buy gifts and cards for each other when we knew we wouldn't be getting cards and junk from guys, so I decided to do the same for everyone at work, but Jack says it isn't very militant, he can't believe I used to be in the RAF, hee hee, little does he know I was actually the equivelent of General! I'll save that one for next time he winds me up....

'Rain, I still don't think the General would appreciate it if you leave red roses all over the base.' 'It's not ALL over the base, just for my friends.' 'Hmmmmm,'
'You are so unfun sometimes Colonel.' Rain giggled pulling the thorns off dozens of red roses. 'It isn't until tommorow anyway.'
'I know, but I want to leave them before we leave work so they will be there before they get in tommorow.' Rain bent down and took one of the de-thorned roses from Anubis's mouth. 'Hey puppy, you don't want to eat that, it's yukky.' She handed him a biscuit. 'You spoil that dog.'
'No I don't, he is perfectly well behaved.' 'Hmmmm.' Jack said as the puppy began to chew his boot laces. 'I thought you Yanks went nuts over Valentine's day anyway.' 'Yanks?'
'Well, you keep calling me all sortsa names cause of my background.' 'Well, I'm not a big fan of Valentine's day.' 'So you don't want your present then?'
'You bought me a present?'
'Of course.'
'What is it?'
'Hey mister, you were the one who pointed out that Valentine's day isn't until tommorow!' 'I know.' he sighed.
'It's a surprise.' She said picking up her puppy and sitting him on the carpet. 'Ok now, Anubis, sit. No, sit, sit.' she gently pushed his back down. 'Sit!' 'Oh yeah, he is perfectly well behaved.' 'Anubis Sit!' she made the puppy do it from her head. 'See, he can sit.' 'I bet you did that in your head.'
The puppy stared at her and drooled.
Jack sighed. 'I did used to have a clean house.' 'Hey! I clean this house mister!'
'And your dog just drooled on the rug.' 'You bought him and I've seen you sucking up to him on the sly, tickling him and giving him biscuits.' He grinned. The puppy pounched on his back. 'Man, your getting heavy Anubis.'
Rain giggled. 'He's not even half the size he's gunna end up at.' 'Should have bought a chiuaua.'

They arrived at base, not having a briefing for a couple of hours so Jack headed down to the commisary, Rain to her and Daniel's office. 'Good morning Dr.Jackson.'
'Good morning missy, what are the roses for?' 'Doh! They're for tommorow, you weren't meant to see them.' 'For me?'
'Uh huh.'
'You bought me roses?'
'And Sam, and Teal'c and Dr Frasier and General Hammond.' 'Why?'
'It's Valentine's day tommorow.'
'Oh.....yeah...I hate that.'
'Well I used to, but I still buy my friends presents. So pretend you haven't seen them.' 'Ok. Can you take a look at this for me, it's driving me nuts.' 'What is it?' Rain said putting the roses on her desk carefully. 'A translation I'm working on, but I just can't find a language that even resembles it.' 'Where's it from?'
'Uh......a planet called Ryjax, well that's what they call it, we call it xj239.' 'Yep, I know it, it's another of Isis's people's planets.' 'Really?'
'Yep, I've never been, but I can translate it.' He handed her the page.
'It looks like a hymn.'
'Who to?'
Rain's eyes widened and she laughed.
'Isis, but it's a little morbid.'
'What does it say?'
'We, the people of the mother, her children and her slaves, we who will die for her, in any way she sees fit. We who would cut the tongues from our mouths and scratch our eyes from our heads solely for her amusement We who would.....the rest is missing.' 'They don't sound like your other planet.' 'They aren't.' she laughed. They used to worship Apophis and before that Seth, they lived in chaos, had canabalistic tendencies.' she cringed. 'Thank goodness I never had to visit.' 'So they wouldn't recognise you if you visited?' 'Nope. Probably try to eat me if I did.' she giggled. 'Why, we aren't going there are we?' 'Possibly, it's either that or it's neighbouring planet. They apparently have large supplies of Naqueda.' 'They do, but is it worth the risk?'
'Could you not prove who you were to them?' 'Of course, but that may not stop them eating you or the rest of SG-1. Anyway, I thought Naqueda collection was SG-12's job?' 'It is, usually....'
'Why what is it?'
'How did the rest of the hymn go?'
'We who wouldst............kill her enemies and eat their hearts and kill all who trespass, ignorance not being an excuse. We who would sacrifice our children for our mother who for us provided all. That's not quite right but Isis can't remember it, it is like their anthemn to warn others of their intentions.' 'hmmmm. Could be fun.'
'Well at least if we are dodging canabalistic natives we can't complain we are bored.' 'Goes well with the Valentine's theme, eating their enemies hearts.' Rain giggled. 'You've been spending too much time with Jack.' 'Guess I have. Rain, what happened to your boots?' Rain looked down and realised her laces were chewed up. 'Anubis.'
'Your puppy did that?'
'Yep, I'm trying to teach him to behave but he doesn't understand.' 'Can I come over and see him? I love dogs.' 'Sure, come over after work.'
'Thanks, oh god, we should go, we're late for our briefing.'

The two of them ran down the corriodors stopping just before reaching the briefing room, walking in panting. 'I'm so sorry General, we were working on that translation.' 'And?'
'It's like a national anthemn, a bit morbid though. They are another of Isis's planets.' 'They are?'
'Yes, but I've never been there.' Rain added when the General looked at her. 'Care to tell us about them?'
'Of course sir. In truth I do not believe it worth the risk to collect naqueda, they are violent and canabalistic, they enjoy torture all in Isis's name. She will not visit them as they do not listen to her when she tries to explain to them that she disagrees with the killing.' she sighed. 'They tend to kill on sight, there is no excuse for trespassing on their planet as far as they are concerned.' 'Can you speak to them, tell them who you are.' 'Of course sir, but they don't really listen to Isis.' 'What kind of technology do they possess?' 'None, their weapons are primitive, but very effective. They are as neolithic man was on Earth, although they have language.' 'I see, so you do not believe it is worth the risk.' 'Not unless the gate is close to the site of naqueda and there are no settlements nearby. Even then it is still very risky.' 'Do you know much about the neighbouring planets?' 'It depends which ones, there are seven in that system, only three are inhabited.' 'The other two have sources of naqueda also, are the people on those planets dangerous?' 'Isis says they are not as dangerous, but it is still risky, they are all at a similar level of evolution, although the other two planets are more tollerant of visitors.' 'I think it would be safer to try one of the other two planets, we will send a MALP through to both and see which looks safer, we will reconvene in an hour. Dismissed.'

Back in Dr.Jackson's office Rain was attempting to find a temporary home for the roses when Jack walked in. Rain jumped and threw the roses all over the office. 'I wish you wouldn't do that Jack.' she said picking up the nearest flowers. He bent down to pick one up and put in her hair gently. 'Sorry.' 'Well you seem to have cheered up, what's happened?' 'Nuthin, just full of the joys of Spring.' Rain giggled and pulled two roses from on Daniel's head. 'Sorry, Jack made me jump.' 'So I noticed.' he grinned and helped her pick them up. 'The General's just been to see me, he needs to talk to us about the mission.' Jack said smiling at her warmly. 'Really?'
'Sure.'
Rain followed him from the room to the General's office. They knocked and entered. 'Is everything ok General?'
'Not really, both our MALPs have been kidnapped by the people on those planets.' 'Really?'
'Yes, and the footage we managed to retreive shows that the planet is under new habitation.' 'They are different people?'
'Yes, and they have technology.'
Rain sighed.
'We got this before the MALP stopped transmitting.' The General turned on a nearby television and started the tape, a face appeared on the screen. 'Greetings Earthlings, it's your dear friend Kalon.' he laughed throatily. 'Oh no.' Rain groaned.
'I have your robots, if you want them back, come get it, oh and Colonel O'Neill, I mean you and your team especially.' The screen went black and the General turned it off. 'He doesn't know that you are here right?' 'No, he couldn't, they banned him from seeing me or knowing any information about me when I was sentenced.' The Colonel had a grin on his face. Rain looked at him in surpirse. 'Can we not ignore it?'
'In truth no, we've already lost three MALPs in as many weeks, and we also need the naqueda.' 'Ok, well I'm willing to go.'
'Excellent, Let's get ready then...'
'No Colonel, I meant alone.'
'Rain, we couldn't allow you to do that.' 'I knew you were going to say that.' she grinned. 'I'm going to send SG-1 and SG-6 for backup, get the MALPs and naqueda and then leave, no fighting, no personal vandetta's to be settled.' he looked at Jack. 'I don't want anyone getting hurt, do you understand.' 'Yes Sir.' Rain said.
'Yes Sir.'
'Dismissed.'

'So please explain to me why you haven't stopped grinning since Kalon stole the MALPs.' 'I thought you could read minds.'
'Oh, I can, but I want to know what part of your thoughts is supposed to be good.' 'Oh....nuthin.' he said grinning.
'Jack don't even think about it. You are not going to try to get revenge on Kalon.' 'I knew you would say that.'
'What did you expect me to say? Sure Jack, go for it, get yourself killed by that jerk.' 'No, but I figured you'd want a piece of him as well.' 'Oh, I'd like to tear his throat out with my teeth, but it doesn't mean I'm stupid enough to try it.' 'You calling me stupid missy?'
'Actually, yes.' she grinned.
'Jack I don't wish to upset you, but you are a mere mortal, he is a goa'ould.' 'Gee, thanks.'
'Aw, come on Jack I don't mean it offensively, but it's the truth.' 'Could you kill him?'
'Possibly, but I'm not going to try so don't get excited.' 'Now who's no fun.'
She raised an eyebrow and giggled.
'You think it's fun, getting you butt kicked?' 'You saying I couldn't take him?'
'Jack, I'm not being boastful here, but you couldn't take me!' she giggled. 'Ok, the second we get back, you, me, boxing.' 'Kick boxing or normal?'
'Normal.'
'You're on. But will you promise me something?' 'Depends what it is?' he grinned.
'That you wont seek Kalon out or try and fight him?' Jack didn't answer.
'I promise I won't not seek out Kalon and fight him.' 'Jack! I'm not that stupid, the whole double negative thing doesn't work on me.' 'Ok, I promise.'
'hmmmm.' She read him for a minute. 'Well if you do try to fight him or seek him out, I'll kick your butt.' 'I'd love to see you try.'
'You can be so cocky sometimes.'
'But you love it.'
'hmmmm.' she grinned before walking back to her office.

'So Kalon is after Jack?'
'Uh huh, and Jack wants to kill him.'
'You think he can do that?'
'I don't doubt it, Jack can do anything he sets his mind to, but I told him if he tried I'll kill him.' 'Well I wouldn't if you threatened me with that.' Rain giggled. 'He's challenged me to a boxing match when we get back.' 'He's gunna fight a woman?'
Rain coughed.
'Uh sorry, I was talking chilvalry and such, not about women being weaker.' 'I know. It's ok. Some women deserve it, Hathor for example, you should have beat her up.' 'Did you know her?'
'Ha! Unfortuantely, yes. We don't like her, she used to flirt with Osiris when Isis and he were still together. And of course what she did to Jack.' she grinned. 'Well, lucky for her she's dead or she'd have you after her.' 'She knows not to mess with us.' Rain giggled. 'Why what did you do?'
'Something very unchivalrous and unlady like.' 'What are we going to do if we run into Kalon.' 'Ah, Daniel, so naieve.' Rain giggled and walked over to the cupboard and pulled out several weapons. 'Hand device for me, for you a bow and arrows.' 'Bow and uh...arrows.'
'The arrow tips are coated in the world's most deadly neurotoxin, he wont know he's been hit before he hits the ground.' 'Does the General know about these?'
'He encouraged them.' she giggled.
'Uh...I don't know how to shoot a bow and arrow.' 'Sure you do.' Rain walked towards him and put her palms to his temples. 'What did you do?'
She picked up a sheet of paper from the desk and held it so it was flat on her palm. 'I want you to shoot through the paper.' 'Uh, that's impossible. The paper is lying down.' 'Try.'
'I'll hit you.'
'No you wont.'
'Seriously Rain, I'm no good at this, I couldn't hit an elephant if it was an inch from my face.' 'I wouldn't have you shoot an elephant, they are endangered. This arrow doesn't have any poison on it so it wont hurt too much if you hit me, but I know you wont.' 'Rain...I really...'
'Daniel! Just do it!!!!'
'Ok, but I'm appologising in advance.'
He aimed the bow the only way he knew how and pulled the arrow back against the bowstring and let it fly. He closed his eyes tightly. He heard a scream so opened his eyes. 'Sorry, I was just teasing. Look you did it!' 'I couldn't have, it's impo...'
He stopped when he say the paper was split half way down, Rain held the arrow out to him. 'What did you do?'
'I taught you how to do it.'
'Woah!.'
'I'm going to teach Sam, Teal'c and Jack just incase.' 'Jack's gunna love this.'
'That's what I'm worried about.' she giggled.

When they arrived at the gate, they saw Jack was waiting for them. 'A little eager aren't you Colonel?' Rain grinned at him. 'Just being prepared.'
'I'm sure you are. Just don't get too trigger happy.' 'Rain?'
'Yes Sir?' She said with a grin.
'Why are we using bows and arrows?'
'Because Kalon has exceptional armour, the hand device and the poison on these arrows will be more effective than if we take guns.' 'I see, and uh...where dare I ask did you get this nuerotoxin?' 'It's Anubis' drool.'
'You're kidding?'
'Yes, it's from several toxins combined, our science project.' 'As long as you don't start talking like Carter.' 'Only to wind you up.' she grinned.

They waited for the gate to dial up before stepping through, Jack first, flanked by Rain and followed by the others. They stood with bow strings taught, but saw nothing. 'Ambush.' Rain said quietly.
'Where?'
'To the left behind the rocks and to the right, behind the clump of trees.' 'Is Kalon with them?'
'Negative.' Rain said. 'They are waiting upon his arrival before they do anything.' 'Ok.' Jack stopped to think.
'Let me give myself up, it'll buy you some time to get the naqueda, and I'll get the MALP.' 'Not happening. Carter, left, Teal'c Right. Daniel and Rain with me.' They began to leave the platform, the Jaffa guards being about 100 yards away. 'They're after you Jack, they aren't going to capture anyone else.' 'Really?'
'Yes, I don't think they know who I am in the fatigues. We can use that as an advantage.' Rain said straightening the hand device on her wrist. 'Ok, we'll keep going, and defend ourselves, I'm not waiting for them to make the first move. Rain can you keep them away with your hand weapon.' 'Sure, just give the command.'
'I don't want to be killing if we don't have to, so only if they get too close.' 'Yes sir.' Rain said, concealing the weapon.

They covered half the ground between themselves and the Jaffa before the guards broke cover. Teal'c took several down with his staff weapon before they even knew they had been hit. Sam and Daniel used bow and arrow and successfully kept the Jaffa at bay, long enough for the group to get past. The Jaffa began to follow them.
'Now Rain.'
Rain fired a warning shot with the hand weapon. The Jaffa became confused, not sure if whether or not to fire on her as she was a Goa'ould. Or which side she was on, she could be with them as part of a plan. They regrouped and decided to fire on everyone except for Rain, which she took as an insult. 'Darn it, why aren't they firing at me?' she yelled at Daniel. 'Because they know what would happen to them if they fire upon a system lord.' 'They apparently haven't heard about how I disgraced myself them.' she said through gritted teeth. 'Apparently not.' Daniel said while letting an arrow fly. It hit its target and a Jaffa guard slid to the floor. 'Nice shot.'
'Learned from the best.' Daniel said grinned at her. She flushed a little before raising her hand again. Several guards were getting a little too close to Jack. 'Took your time there missy.' he looked at her. She grinned at him. 'Sorry.'
The fight continued until the remaining Jaffa were dead or had retreated. 'They're going back to tell Kalon.'
'Great.' Jack said enthusiastically.
'What do you mean O'Neill?' Teal'c asked when he had joined them. 'Well, I didn't go looking for him, and if I fight him it will be self defence.' 'Jack.' Rain said in a scolding tone. 'Uh, sorry Colonel.' she said sheepishly. 'What would you have us do?' he looked at her intently. 'Leave before he arrives!' Rain said picking a couple of arrows from nearby guards and handing them back to Daniel and Sam. 'Which direction is the naqueda?' Jack asked Sam. 'Due North, which is the direction we are currently headed in.' Jack grinned at Rain. 'And if we run into him along the way....' he said before heading off. Rain followed him dejectedly. 'That man has a death wish.' she said as Daniel caught up with her.

They had travelled approximately 500 yards before Rain told them that Kalon was coming towards them from the opposite direction. 'We should take cover Colonel, they will not think to track us.' Rain said in concern but knew there was no way in hell he was going to pass up this opportunity. 'We're not running Rain.'
'We wouldn't be running sir, we could hide until they pass, reclaim the MALP, collect the naqueda and go home, without anyone realising it.' 'Not happening.'
'Are you trying to get us killed sir?'
'Excuse me?'
'I have known Kalon for several years, it is not worth the risk sir.' Rain looked at him intently. 'That would take too long. We carry on the way we are going and fight them off as we did before.' 'This army is bigger sir.'
'How much bigger?'
'Three times the size, there are over 200 Jaffa with Kalon.' Jack sighed and looked at his boots.
'Colonel, those trees are moving.' Sam said suddenly. 'Too late.' Rain said.
'Do not start shooting until I give the signal, get into the trees.'

The trees ahead of them shook as the Jaffa walked between them. SG-1 were spotted before they had the chance to hide. The Jaffa began to shoot, aiming mainly at Jack. Rain held them off with the hand weapon. Just then Kalon apeared behind them.
'JAFFA! STOP!'
The fighting ceased. Rain looked to the ground so that Kalon would not know it was her, she pulled her sleeve down over the hand device. Kalon walked towards the group in a dominant fashion. 'Well, if it isn't my friend the Colonel.' He grinned widely. 'Hey Kalon. How are you?' Jack asked, grinning also, clearly relishing the chance to get revenge on this man who had tortured the woman he loved, and had tried to kill him. 'Jack, don't provoke him.' Rain said in his head. He turned to look at her. Kalon saw it and looked to her also. He walked over to her. She looked at the ground so he couldn't see who it was. He lifted her chin with his hand, surprisingly gently. The look that crossed his face was both confusion, surpise and excitement. 'Well, well. If it isn't my dear one.'
'Kalon.' Rain said.
He pushed down the collar of her jacket and examined her neck. 'Well, your neck has healed well my dear.' Rain could read Jack was seething. 'Jack, don't do anything, we are out numbered, wait and calm down.' she said reasurringly in his head. 'So how did you escape little one?'
'That wasn't too difficult Kalon, maybe I could tell you over dinner.' she said sarcastically. 'I think not.' He said, still smiling.
'How's your ankle Kalon? Has that healed as well as my neck?' she smiled sweetly. He growled a little before the false smile returned to his face. 'Rain what the hell are you doing?' Jack asked her in his head. 'Wait and see.' she replied.
One of the Jaffa guards was walking towards Kalon, his staff weapon raised, pointed at Kalon, as he had his back to him, Kalon didn't notice until the Jaffa was directly behind him. A shot was released straight into Kalon's back. He fell, more in surprise than pain and turned upon the guard. 'Get ready to run, straight into the trees, when I say.' Rain told SG-1 in their heads. While Kalon was fighting with the Jaffa, the rest of the guard began to fight amongst themselves, not with weapons but with their fists. The place quickly turned to chaos. 'NOW!' Rain yelled as she bolted for the trees. The rest of the team ran ahead of her, she kept to the back to defend the rear.

They eventually came to a clearing in the woods, some miles from the scene, none of them could run any longer. 'How did you do that?' Jack asked Rain breathlessly. She was clutching her temples.
'Give me a minute.' she said through clenched teeth. 'What are we going to do now?' Daniel asked Jack. 'I don't know, the guards will be guarding the gate now. I think we should get the naqueda providing it doesn't involve running into them again. If we find the MALP, we'll take it, but the main thing is to get home now.' 'Are you unwell Rain?' Teal'c asked her, crouching down next to her in concern. 'I'm fine, could I have some water though please?' Teal'c handed her a canteen of water.
'Thank you.' she said taking several sips, before sitting with her eyes closed in the 'lotus position' her legs crossed as though she were meditating. 'What's she doing?' Jack asked Teal'c quietly. 'It would appear she is entering Kilnoreem.' 'She's doing your Jaffa meditation thing?' Jack asked in surprise. Rain didn't move, didn't respond to any questions Jack asked her, out loud or otherwise. After several minutes she opened her eyes and blinked several times to wake herself up. 'Are you ok?' Sam asked, being the first to notice. 'Yes thank you.'
'What happened?'
'Well, you know I told you I could make objects move, or make people do things, but it gave me a headache?' 'Uh huh.'
'Well, I just made 200 Jaffa fight amongst themselves.' she grinned. 'What I wouldn't give for asprin right now.' 'I have some pain killers.' Daniel offered. 'Thank you, but I cannot take them, they make Isis very ill.' 'So you made them fight each other?' Jack asked. 'Yes.' she said carefully, her head still hurting somewhat. 'Wow!'
'Just don't make me do it again today.' she smiled weakly. 'Can you tell us where they are?'
'You are correct, they are guarding the gate. Kalon is well....angry would be an understatement.' she smiled. She tried to stand, Teal'c had to catch her as she wavered a little. 'Thank you, but I am fine.' she patted his hand in reassurance. 'So are we camping here for the night?' Rain asked as she noticed the sky was darkening over. 'We'll have to, I lost my radio when we were fighting the first lot of the goa'ould so we can't contact the general.' 'Don't be so sure.' Rain said closing her eyes again. 'He knows.' 'Thank you.'
'So what's for dinner?' Rain joked.
'What ever we can catch.' Jack said. 'We didn't think we were going to be here this long.' 'hmmmmmmmm.' Rain said deep in thought. 'How about chicken?'
They all looked at her.
'What can I get you Teal'c?'
They looked at her in disbelief.
'This could kill me but............' she closed her eyes and concentrated really hard, her eyes creased and the veins in her temples throbbed a little. She opened her eyes. 'Hmmmmmmmmmm. Didn't concentrate hard enough. Let me try again.' She closed her eyes and concentrated even harder, her face flushed and her breathing became erractic. She opened her eyes again and the food was sat in front of them. 'I couldn't manage the cutlery, sorry.' she said sheepishly handind Teal'c a plate of Chicken. 'I remember you said you were partial to chicken.' 'Thank you Rain.' he said.
'How did you do that?'
'I stole it from the Jaffa.' she grinned. 'But don't you have to know where things are?' 'Yes. There is a very curious bird that has been hanging around their camp, hoping for scraps of food, I just read it for a little while. It'll be happy, I gave it some too.' she grinned. 'Will wonders never cease?' Jack said looking at her, clearly proud of her, proud to be with her. She flushed a little. 'I'm going to meditate for a while, pushed myself a little too much today. If you need me, throw something at me.' she giggled before closing her eyes again.

The next morning, after an awful night's sleep, SG-1 awoke to find Rain had not moved. Jack who was on last watch had been actually watching her for the last two hours. Even though she was meditating, her eyelids were fluttering in R.E.M, she was dreaming. He'd spent the last two hours musing on what she was dreaming of. When the others had woken up he made a move to wake Rain. He shook her shoulders a little.
'Rain? Wake up missy, we have to start moving.' Nothing.
He shook her a little harder this time. 'Rain!'
Nothing.
'Isis?'
Teal'c picked up a rock and threw it at her feet so as not to hurt her. She opened her eyes and yawned, stretching a little. 'Good morning.' she said cheerfully, although she looked very pale. 'You ok Rain?' Jack asked her.
'Yes thank you sir.' She said standing and dusting off her uniform. 'Ready to make a move.'
'Of course. Where are we going first?'
'To get the naqueda, but we are going to go in a circle, avoiding the way we went yesterday.' Rain began to pick up her equiptment and was ready to go. Everyone else followed suit and they left the area. Rain taking up rear guard again. Jack slowed to talk to her. 'Are you sure you are ok?'
'I'm fine really.'
'You look very pale.'
'I'm fine really.'
'Ok, as long as you're sure.'
'I am, and Jack?'
'Yes?'
'I wasn't dreaming.'
'You weren't?'
'No, I was watching the Jaffa.'
'You were keeping watch?'
'Of course.'
He smiled at her warmly.
'Well, I find that reasurring.' he said with a smile.

They arrived at the site of the naqueda two hours later, to find it was literally outside of the Jaffa base camp. 'How typical.' Jack sighed.
'Most of the guard are surrounding the gate, Kalon thinks we are waiting to go home.' 'They have left their base unguarded?'
'No, but only half the Jaffa are there at the moment.' 'And Kalon?'
'He is asleep in his tent.' she pointed it out. 'So you think we can get the naqueda?'
'It is possible. I'll stand guard.'
They walked over to the site of the naqueda to find no guards in the area. It was situated about 20 yards from the camp. They began to collect the naqueda until they had enough, then they headed back into the trees. 'Where's the MALP?' Jack asked Rain.
'In Kalon's tent.'
'It would be.' he said.
'And before you ask, it's not worth the risk sir.' Rain said with a smile. Carter grinned at her, thinking that you didn't really need to be able to read minds to know what Colonel O'Neill was thinking most of the time. 'I could get I it if you are desperate though.' she said. 'We are a little.' he said carefully.
'Ok, I'll be back in ten minutes.'
'What are you going to do?' Daniel asked in surprise. 'Get the MALP!'
'How exactly.'
'Kalon is a very deep sleeper, I'll just sneak in and use the controls on the top to get it out.' Jack thought about it for a moment.
'Ok, but if he wakes up, just run, we'll wait for you here.' He looked at her, the worry in his eyes. 'I'll be fine, don't worry.' she said inside his head.

She sneaked along the fringe of the trees before creeping along the edges of the tents. Then she was gone. Jack secretly had his fingers crossed and was talking to her in her head, as was Teal'c, Sam and Daniel, all of them worried about what Kalon would do if he caught her. Jack noticed a kestrel looking bird flew down to a nearby branch and observed them quietly. Jack grinned at the bird and it cawed in reply.

Inside the tent Rain found the MALP was actually at the foot of Kalon's bed. She cursed her luck silently and crawled past the makeshift bed. She managed to get to the MALP before she sensed Kalon was stirring. She looked up and saw him begining to lift his head, she picked up a nearby idol, some heavy wooden statuette carved to look like Kalon and struck him over the head with it. He slumped back onto the bed without a sound. Rain sighed in relief and dropped the idol back on the floor. She slid over to the MALP and began to turn it on as quietly as she could, it hummed into life just as a guard entered the tent, looking at her in surprise, before falling to the floor, an arrow in his back, a look of surprise etched upon his face. She thanked Daniel in her head before proceeding to make the MALP move. 'Come on you silly thing. MOVE!' She kicked it and it began to whir. She tapped some controls on the top and it began to move forward, painfully slowly. She carefully moved the dead Jaffa's body as the MALP made it's way through the tent flaps. 'Come on! Faster!' she hissed at it. In reply it stopped moving. 'Great. Thanks.' she said to the machine. She began to push it as quickly as she could into the fringe of the trees but was spotted by a guard who raised the alarm. 'For crying out loud!' she said, which made her think of Jack. 'Jaffa! Kree!' she yelled, holding out her hand device. She told him that she was under orders from Kalon to decieve the humans, she needed the machine to fool them. She made several jokes about how useless humans are, which made the guard laugh, and seemed to convince him. He called to the other guards to let her through, he even asked three to push the MALP for her. Had it not been so dangerous it would have been funny. She warned SG-1 to move further back into the forrest as the MALP was pushed to its outskirts. She thanked the guards, promising rewards before pushing the MALP further into the trees. The guard in charge of tending to Kalon, entered his tent thinking he was sleeping a little late. He found Kalon with a huge bruise forming on his head. Kalon began to regain consciousness at that point and was furious. He took it out on the guard and told them to capture Isis, or be killed on their return.

'Uh oh.'
'What?'
'Run!!!!!' Rain screamed as the forrest was filled with Jaffa guards from all directions. 'Too late.' she said calmly.
The guards approached her cautiously.
'Do you know who I am Jaffa?' she said angrily. 'I am your queen Isis!'
They looked at her in surprise, knowing that Isis outranked Kalon and most system lords, but they were sure she had been banished. She raised her palm at the largest group and waited until they made their descision on what to do. 'I see you have made your descision.' she said as the group moved towards her. 'Now let's see you enforce it.' she fired the device at the middle of the group. They were sent flying into the trees. The others heitated, unsure of what to do. 'I will not hurt you if you leave this place.' she said calmly. Several guards turned and ran, the rest began to advance again. Rain sighed before raising the weapon again. 'Jack, get out of here, take them to the gate, Kalon's coming.' she said to them. 'We don't leave our people behind.'
She smiled at him before turning back to the Jaffa and firing again. 'JACK MOVE!' She screamed as Kalon came through the trees behind them and grabbed Jack. Jack kicked out viciously, but didn't manage to make contact. 'Stop Isis, or I kill him.'
Rain lowered her hand. Kalon shook Jack like a rag doll and suspended him from his collar. 'Familar little one?' he taunted Rain. 'Didn't this happen before? But this time it's going to end differently.' Rain spoke to Daniel quickly in his head and he strung his bow while Kalon's attention was on Jack and Rain. Sam also strung her bow and pointed it at the system lord. They both let the arrows fly and Kalon crumpled. 'What was that?' He looked at Rain in disbelief. 'My usual mix of neurotoxins, you used to love watching people die like this didn't you Kalon.' Jack fell to the ground as Kalon fell. Kalon began to foam at the mouth and scream in pain. 'Oh, I was hoping he'd die straight off.' 'The arrow I used had already been used once.' 'Mine too.'
'That would explain it.' she smiled. 'Can we go, I can't watch people die.' She began to push the MALP towards the gate.

It took them several hours to reach the gate. Jack was a little mad that he hadn't had the chance to kill Kalon, but was glad to see it had made Daniel feel a little more confident with weaponry. The guards that surrounded the gate were not aware of Kalon's death, so Rain intended to play upon that. She took off her camoflague hat and let her hair down from the bun it had been in. She threw off her jacket and explained the plan to the others.

'JAFFA!!!!!!'
Rain stumbled from the outskirts of the trees, tears in her eyes and cuts along her arms. They pointed their weapons at her as she approached. 'It is Kalon! The humans have attacked him, he needs your help!' The guards looked at her in surprise. 'Please, help Kalon, my love! He needs you Jaffa!' She pointed in the direction they needed to go. The leader of the group commanded them to move out leaving only ten guards at the gate. 'Now this I can cope with.' Rain said quietly. She sat on the steps of the Stargate, pretending to cry over Kalon, waiting for the other guards to be out of hearing range. Two guards walked over to her and asked if she needed anything, she grabbed their heads and hit them together, causing the guards to pass out, but not be killed. The others began to point their weapons at her again, she raised her palm and threw all eight of them from the platform, they all lost consciousness from their not too pleasant landings.

Sg-1 came out of the trees, Teal'c pushing the MALP. 'Did you kill them?'
'No, they are just unconscious.'
'Daniel, dial us home.' Jack said.
Rain helped Teal'c get the MALP up the stairs. Daniel dialed home and they waited to go home. 'Well this has been the best Valentine's day ever!' Rain said sarcastically with a grin. 'Well, we got some exercise, kicked Kalon's butt, got our MALP back and some more naqueda..' Daniel said grinning also. 'Yeah, it was so romantic!' Rain said picking a flower from around the base of the gate and handing it to Daniel while batting her eyelids. 'I never knew you cared!' Daniel said pretending to by coy. They both giggled as the gate began to shimmer. Jack sighed, but was smiling.
'Well at least Kalon's dead.'
'Ding dong Kalon's dead.' Rain began to sing, but realised Teal'c didn't understand the reference. 'Come on Dorothy.' he said indicating Rain, 'and you Toto.' He looked to Daniel. They all walked through the gate smiling widely.

Half an hour later they are sat in the briefing room, around the table, Rain hasn't stop smiling, mainly out of relief and excitement with it being Valentine's day. Daniel was finishing his part of the debriefing. 'So in conclusion, Kalon is dead, we got the MALP back and found a site of Naqueda.' 'Are you sure Kalon is dead?'
'Unless he got to a sarcophicus very quickly.' Rain said. 'I can't hear his thoughts.'' 'That is a relief.' the General smiled at her warmly. She nodded in reply. 'Well if there is nothing else........you are dismissed.'

Rain was back in her and Daniel's office handing out red roses to SG-1. 'Aw! Rain, that's so sweet!' Sam said hugging her. 'I do not understand the significance of these particular flowers.' Teal'c said. 'Red roses are associated with romance and love.' 'You are declaring love for me?'
'In a way, more as a friend dear one.'
'In that case I thank you.' Rain grabbed him and hugged him tightly. 'Thank you Rain, these'll certainly brighten up the office.' Daniel said looking for a vase substitute, before settling for a pencil pot. Rain giggled. She had already snuck some into Dr.Frasier's office and the General's and she was in no doubt that they would know who they were from. 'So, we going home now?' Jack asked impatiently from the doorway. 'Yes sir!' Rain said, saluting. Jack shot her a look and grinned. 'hmmmm. I want to check that your puppy hasn't destroyed my house! We have been gone two days!' 'I asked Janet to look in on him and feed him.' 'How did you.....actually, I don't want to know.'

They arrived home to be attacked by a drooling puppy, which Rain found adorable. 'Hello sweetie! How're you?'
'Please don' t tell me you are expecting an answer...' Rain tapped her temple and then Anubis's. 'Oh, so you do get an answer?'
'Uh huh.'
'How is he?'
'He's good, missed us.'
'Aw!' Jack said looking at her disbelivingly. 'He did! Oh by the way, Daniel wants to pop over tonight to see him.' 'pop over?'
'It's an English phrase! Leave me alone!' she giggled. He raised an eyebrow.
'Ohhh! I nearly forgot!!!!' she handed Anubis to Jack and ran from the room. Jack looked at the puppy. 'She's nuts! Yes she is!' Rain came running back with what looked like a painting wrapped up, it wasn't too big but she managed to jab herself in the ribs with it. 'OW! Here you go.'
'What is it?'
'I painted it for you, I found a picture and thought as you don't have many I could paint this and then he's always here.' she started babbling. He put the puppy down and began to unwrap the paper. He pulled the frame out and turned it around. Jack's eyes misted over a little.
'It's Charlie?'
'Am I that bad a painter so as you don't recognise your own son!' Rain smiled. 'Rain, hunny, it's........I love it.' He put it down carefully and hugged her tightly. 'You painted this.'
'Sure, had a job hiding it though.'
'When did you get time to paint this.'
'When you were asleep.'
He smiled at her warnly and sniffed.
'Do you like it?'
'You know I do, I can't lie remember.'
'Now we just got to find somewhere to hang it.' A timid knock came at the door.
'That'll be Daniel.' Rain said skipping off to answer the door. 'Hey stranger!' Rain hugged him.
'Hello, how're you?'
'We've only just left work so I'm still fine!' she giggled. A gangly legged creature came running over to them. 'Aw!' Daniel bent down to pet Anubis. 'He's sweet.' 'Isn't he? I think I'm in love!' Rain giggled. Daniel picked up the puppy who tried to get his teeth around his glasses. 'Hey mister!' Rain said, pulling his jaw from the glasses. 'You hungry puppy?'
'He can't be, he's only just been fed and he's chewed up my boot laces again.' she said looking at her feet. They walked through into the longue where Jack was still looking at the painting. 'You ok hunny?' Rain said walking over to him. 'I'm fine, it's just that this is so real......' He said vaguely. His hand touching the painting. He seemed to wake up when he noticed Daniel. 'Hey Danny boy and to what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?' 'Our drool machine.' Rain said with a grin. 'Can we take him for a walk?' Daniel said getting excited. 'Sure, he's never been before, but he's had his jabs so I don't see why not.' She said looking for his lead. 'You wanna come hunny bunch?' she said to Jack. 'Uh...actually, I'll stay here, I've got some thinking to do.' Rain put her arm about his shoulders and kissed his cheek. 'Ok hunny, but if you need me just call.' 'Do you have a cell phone?' Daniel asked. 'NO!!!!' Rain giggled and tapped her head. 'Oh!!!'
Rain attached the lead to Anubis's collar which sent him wild. He began to jump all over the place. Rain bent down and kissed Jack's cheek again. 'I understand hunny it's ok.' Rain whispered in his head. 'I know you do, you always do.' he said with a smile and kissed her hand. 'See you in a while hunny.'
'Ok Rain dancer.'

'Is he ok?' Daniel asked when they were out of hearing range of the house. 'He will be. Hey mister, stop pulling!' She giggled at Anubis. 'Did you paint that picture?'
'Yes, it was a Valentine's day present. Jack has always regretted not having more pictures of Charlie, so I painted a picture from a time in Jack's memory when they were most happy.' 'That's really sweet.'
'Charlie asked me to.'
'He did?' Daniel looked at her.
'Yep. I talk to him quite frequently, we have a lot in common.' 'Your love for Jack?'
'Got it in one.' She said untangling Anubis's lead from about his legs. 'Won't this drag up all his painful memories?' 'No, I thought that at first, but Charlie says it was such a happy memory he can not help but reflect in a good way upon it. Anyway, Jack always locks his feelings up, it doesn't do him any good, he'll end up having a nervous breakdown. Been there done that.' She said a little sadly. Daniel put an arm around her shoulder and kissed her cheek. 'You know I'm here if you need to talk about your past.' 'Thank you, but I killed her, she's dead, therefore I'm ok about it, can even laugh about it.' She smiled. 'Do you talk with Isis about it?'
'I talk with Isis about everything, I can't really hide anything from her, not that I would want to.' she added, clearly having been told off by her friend. Daniel smiled. 'Isn't it weird having another voice in your head?' 'It would be weird not having one now. I would be lost without her. She's my best friend in essence.' Daniel smiled. 'I wonder what it is like not having a Tok'ra symbiote?' 'Similar, but you'd be more likely to fight each other instead of working together. You thinking about Sha're?' 'Yeah.' Daniel looked at her in surprise. They walked on in silence.
'She still loves you you know.'
'I do.'
'Then that's all that matters.'
'Yeah, I suppose it is.' He smiled at her. 'Hey!' Rain ran to catch the puppy as his lead had slipped from her grasp.

Back at home Jack was still looking at the painting, unable to believe it was just paint and canvas, still wondering how Rain had gotten an image from then as he had no photographs, which he had always regretted. He just stared into the child's eyes thinking what life would be like if he had never died. Well he would still be living with Sarah and Charlie, Rain would just be a friend and colleague. But would he still be with Sarah? Was it his death that had caused their divorce or would it have happened anyway? 'Stop it Jack, it's not going to fix anything thinking like that.' he told himself. He sighed deeply. He had locked up all his feelings about his past, but it just made him cold, he pushed people away when they tried to get close to him. He sighed again. Thank goodness Rain could read minds or she might never have understood why he had such defenses. She'd smashed them down without even meaning to. He smiled. 'She has a bad affect on you huh?' Jack thought. Maybe in the future he and Rain could have a child, not to replace Charlie, as no one ever could, but he'd seen the way she was around children, even those people on her planet, they were her children and she was willing to give up everything for them. She would make a wonderful mother, he thought. He saw Rain and Daniel coming back, picked up the painting and put it in their room and sat back down on the couch. 'Hello!' Rain beamed at him and kissed his cheek, she had a very muddy puppy in her arms. 'Hey missy. How was he?'
Rain pointed to the mud he had all over him, and that was now all over her jacket and giggled. Jack looked at Daniel to find he was covered in mud as well, he had removed his shoes and rolled up his trousers to stop from getting mud everywhere. 'You are so messy Anubis! I'm going to run you a bath you monster.' Rain disappeared, the puppy struggling in her arms, he clearly knew the word 'bath.' Daniel sat down next to Jack and stretched. 'My god that woman can walk.'
Jack smiled.
'I know, that's why I got her a dog!'
Daniel laughed.
'Bizarre way to spend Valentine's day huh?' 'Yep. I completely forgot until I found Rain dethorning roses yesterday, and what with being on that planet I havent had the chance to get her anything.' 'She doesn't mind, all she wants in this world is to be loved and she knows she is.' Daniel said with a smile. 'Simple pleasures, simple minds.' Jack said teasingly. 'HEY!' Rain yelled from the bathroom.
'She's so easy to wind up.' He grinned. They heard a yelp from the bathroom, followed by a loud splash, then Anubis came running out of the bathroom, soaking wet. Jack reached down and grabbed him. 'Rain, you ok?'
Rain stepped out of the bathroom, soaking wet from head to toe. 'Don't even ask.' she said taking the puppy from Jack's arms and heading back to the bathroom. Daniel was laughing from the couch.
'Never a dull moment.' Jack said.

'I'm really sorry I didn't get you anything for Valentine's day, I completely forgot and what with the Kalon thing...' 'Jack, it's ok, really, you bought me a puppy!' she said giggling. 'Yeah, but that doesn't count.' he protested. 'I want but one thing in this world and I have it.' 'To be loved and know it?'
'Uh huh, did Daniel tell you?'
'Yep.'
'Well then you know I am happy.'
'Yeah, but I didn't cook dinner or anything.' 'Jack, stop appologising! I'm blissfully happy, it's ok!' 'But I...' he was cut off by Rain kissing him deeply on the lips. 'Oh, ok....' he said with a grin.
'You feeling better now?'
'Yes, actually I am, thank you so much for the picture.....I...' She pressed a finger to his lips.
'You don't have to say it, I know, I understand.' He grabbed her around the waist and pulled her onto the couch. 'You always do. How did you know about his birthday?' 'I've seen your life remember! Anyway I asked Charlie.' 'You talk to him.'
'Of course, we have you in common.'
He smiled at her warmly.
'What does he have to say about me?'
'You worry to much.' She grinned. 'But he loves you and said you are the best father anyone could wish for.' 'I was....uh...thinking about that.'
'I know!' Rain said with a smile.
'And?'
'I am not sure if I can.' she said a little sadly. 'I don't understand.'
'Well, have you ever heard of a human and a goa'ould hooking up?' 'See what you mean.' He smiled.
'We'll go see a doctor and find out.'
'But wont it have to be Janet.'
'Uh huh. Jack she's a good friend, she wont say anything.' 'I know...'
'It's either that or explain to a new doctor that I have an alien inside me.' Jack smiled. 'I guess.'
'Would you like to have another child?' Rain looked into his eyes and knew it was a stupid question. 'You?'
'You know what I'm like about children, I love them to pieces!' She snuggled into his chest. He smiled. 'I'm so glad you do.'
'Jack O'Neill, wanting to settle down!' Rain teased. He tickled her neck and she squirmed and giggled. 'STOP IT!!!' She screamed giggling.
Anubis began to bark and growl at Jack. Rain picked him up. 'We're playing hunny.' She kissed his nose. He licked her face. 'But of course, not now, maybe when things slow down at the SGC.' 'I am glad, I love my job,' she said.
'Well in truth I can't imagine going off world without you anymore.' She smiled and kissed his forehead.
'So you're assuming I'm going to be looking after the baby.' she said with a raised eyebrow. 'Oh and you think I can cope with a baby?' He grinned. 'Yes, I'm not being a housewife Jack!' She giggled at the look on his face. 'We could wait until you retire?' She said, but then realised he had retired twice already and it hadn't lasted very long. 'Or we could just wait until it happens and go from there.' 'That sounds better.' she grinned.
'But there is no way I'm letting you go off world while you're pregnant.' 'Like you could ever stop me doing anything Jack.' She teased. 'Oh really?' He began to tickle her again. 'Ack! Quit it!' She giggled. 'Anyway you owe me three rounds in a ring.' He looked at her confused.
'Boxing.' she said with a grin.
'I was only kidding about that, I would never hit a woman.' Rain raised an eyebrow and left the room. 'Uh oh, what did I say now?' Jack asked Anubis. The puppy just tilted his head. Rain came back with two pairs of boxing gloves, she threw a pair AT Jack and pulled the other pair on. 'Come on them.' She giggled.
'You're serious?'
'Of course Mr.overconfident Colonel, Mr. I can beat a woman. Mr. I can kick anyone's butt!' She was dancing back and forth, the gloves covering her face. Jack pulled the gloves on and stood opposite her. 'Ok.' Rain punched his arm gently. 'Come on Jack, Bring it.' She giggled. 'I can't believe I'm going this.' he said, putting his hands in front of his face. Rain puched his arm again.
'Ow! Rain!'
'Come on Jack! What are you going to do if another female goa'ould comes to take over the base?' 'Shoot her!'
'What if you don't have a gun?' Rain puched his arm again. 'Rain!'
'What if some alien takes over my head and I try to beat you up?' 'I'll shoot you!' Jack grinned.
'That doesn't work on me, come on Jack, hit me!' Jack took a gentle swing at her, but she ducked and punched him in the stomach. He doubled over coughing.
'Oops!' Rain giggled before helping him onto the couch. 'I'm not as young as I used to be Rain.' he said coughing. 'That's a terrible excuse! You've got a good ten years left in you.' she giggled. 'Gee thanks.'
'Come on old man! Fight me, hit me! You know you wanna!' She danced around like a crazy woman on a spring. Jack laughed at her before tackling her and pinning her to the couch. 'No more!'
'Ok. You look exhausted!'
'It's you, you're aging me!'
Rain giggled. 'And you want a child by me?' 'I see your point, two of you living in this house.' 'Or another you?'
He grinned. 'Well, I'm going to bed, us old people keep sociable hours.' Rain giggled before following him.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Rain