Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

You can't save them all - can you? pt 10

by Whisper99
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You can't save them all - can you? pt 13

You can't save them all - can you? pt 13

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: A Rescue
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. This story was created for entertainment purposes only. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 08/20/05

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.
***Outside the SGC***
Sitting inside Daniel's jeep, Jack leans over and picks up a pair of glasses. Gingerly grabbing them by the edges, he murmurs, "Maybe these are just a spare pair." Fighting back the urge to worry, he sighs and sets them on the passenger seat. He leans over to open the glove compartment, hoping to find some clue of Daniel's whereabouts.
*ring tone*
Reaching into his pocket, he pulls out his cell phone. "O'Neill here. Hey Carter. Heard anything?" he pauses slightly and then asks, "Warehouse district? Yeah, hang on." He reaches into the glove compartment, smiling as he finds some notepads and pens, knowing Daniel always has something nearby to write on and with. "Dammit...Yeah, got that. Where'd you get the intel from? Hey...you ok?" He pauses, then says, "All right. You can fill me in when we get back."
He steps out of the jeep and looks over to Teal'c, "Carter thinks she knows where Daniel is." They quickly make their way back towards their vehicle.
Teal'c asks, "Should we not inform the local authorities?"
"No...they'd just get in the way. Hammond is sending in some of our boys." Jack hangs on for dear life as Teal'c steps on the gas, peeling out of the tow truck company's storage lot. "Hey there T...you been watching too many movies. I'd like for us to be able to actually find Daniel and not end up a statistic."
Teal'c replies, "I am merely minimizing the time it will take us to arrive."
"You just want to get there first."
Teal'c says nothing but one side of his mouth twitches slightly upwards as he takes another sharp turn, causing O'Neill to curse as he slides over to one side. Jack quickly reaches up to put his seatbelt on.
They arrive at the warehouse, finding it rather easily as the words `LDB IMPORTS' is emblazoned on one side of the building. The warehouse does not seem to be abandoned as there are trucks parked outside, but it seems closed for the weekend. Teal'c drives past, pulling into a parking lot two buildings over. They both get out and walk towards the warehouse in question.
O'Neill gestures and they head towards the back of the warehouse, towards the loading bays. Finding a door, he tries to open it and is surprised to find it unlocked. Taking his weapon out and tucking into the back of his pants, he opens the door, takes a quick look inside and steps in, whispering, "Looks like no one's home."
Teal'c follows behind, also pulling out a weapon, a Zat-gun. Gesturing with his hands, O'Neill moves towards the left side of the building with Teal'c covering his flank as they perform a sweep of the area. They make their way towards the rear of the warehouse where Teal'c is first to notice a table with an overturned chair, tucked into a corner where there are crates piled high, all labeled LDB IMPORTS. Pulling out his gun, O'Neill walks over, frowning as he sees drops of dried blood on the chair and surrounding floor.
Whispering, Teal'c says, "O'Neill." And points to a blood trail leading towards another door set in an interior wall.
O'Neill nods, looking around carefully before making his way to the door. Reaching it, he sees it's locked. Teal'c takes the Zat and shoots the lock, kicking at it and it falls away immediately. Opening the door, they find the room beyond is very dark, but the telltale smell of blood and bile and other things best left unmentioned tell them they have found, if not Daniel, something, at least.
Taking a quick breath, O'Neill holds his gun out as he steps into the room, light filtering in as Teal'c holds the door open and they can both see in one corner of the small storage room, Daniel lying curled up on his side with his back facing the door.
The moment is frozen as O'Neill takes in the sight before him. He starts to shake his head as if denying what he sees. The moment is gone and O'Neill hardens his features as he quickly moves to Daniel's side, "Crap! Daniel? Can you hear me?". Tucking his gun away, he kneels beside him, cursing again as he sees the bruises forming on Daniel's face. He reaches out to feel for a pulse, finding it weak and his skin cool and clammy. He murmurs, "Who did this to you?" Gently he attempts to roll Daniel onto his back, and receives a groan in return as Daniel holds his stomach protectively. He says reassuringly, "Don't worry, help is on the way." and he takes off his jacket, covering Daniel with it.
"O'Neill, how is Daniel Jackson?" Teal'c asks from the doorway, concern evident in his voice.
"He's alive, but I'm not altogether sure we should move him. I think he's in shock. Where the hell is our backup?" as he reaches into his pocket to pull out his cell phone.
"I shall continue the search of the building to assure there is no one else here."
Seeing a shadow cross Teal'cs back, Jack yells, "Down!" Immediately, the hand that was going for the cell phone reaches around and O'Neill pulls out his weapon.
In the same instant, Teal'c drops as a gunshot rings out and O'Neill returns fire. Rolling to one side, Teal'c pulls out his weapon and Zats the assailant, who drops with a grunt of pain. Weapons held at the ready, both Teal'c and O'Neill approach the downed man.
Teal'c uses a foot to turn him over, so they can get a good look at his face, "Do you recognize this man?'
O'Neill shakes his head, resisting the urge to aim a kick at the guys head. Taking in his close cropped hair cut and overall look, he says, "No. He might be ex-military though - we should have him in the base computers if he is. Go ahead and check out the rest of the building, I'll stay here."
Teal'c tilts his head in a nod as he walks away, weapon held to the ready.
Jack returns to Daniel, trying to see if he can get him to wake up, "Daniel, c'mon, talk to me here."
****
Teal'c retraces his steps back in the direction they came, passing the door they used to enter the building. He makes his way towards the front of the building, carefully looking into empty offices in search of more of the enemy. Hearing a noise behind him, he twists quickly, ready to fire, then just as suddenly lifts both arms, as he sees it is the promised backup from the SGC. Teal'c calls out, "We require immediate medical assistance. Daniel Jackson has been injured. Come with me." And he leads them back to where he left his friends.
One of the airmen nods, talking into his radio and almost as quickly, two men come in, pushing a gurney between them as they make their way to Daniel's prone form.
****
Watching as they tend to the still unconscious Daniel, O'Neill moves over to stand by Teal'c, frowning, concern plain on his face. As the EMT's prepare to move Daniel, Jack tells them, "Careful...I think he's got some broken ribs."
The EMT nods, replying, "Yes sir. We're immobilizing him in case he has further internal injuries. Has he spoken since you found him?"
O'Neill shakes his head, running a hand through his hair as he watches them work. He turns then to the other soldiers who have taken the still unconscious assailant into custody. Voice hardened, he tells them, "Bring him to the SGC - I want to question him myself. Teal'c, I'm going to ride with Daniel. See you back on base."
****
In the ambulance, the EMT reports back to one of the doctors that Daniel has several cracked ribs and possible internal bleeding. O'Neill watches silently as the EMT's work to further stabilize Daniel, staring at his friends bruised face, his own reflecting barely suppressed anger at what has been done. They arrive at the SGC, where Daniel is whisked away with O'Neill following close behind.
****
In the infirmary, O'Neill wonders where Dr. Fraiser is, but is distracted as the doctors begin their work. Pacing, he looks towards the room where Daniel is being prepped for surgery, thoughts dark as he waits for news. Teal'c arrives shortly after, speaking in quiet tones with the Colonel.
Jack tells him, "I don't know yet. They say he's stable though, so I guess that's a good thing. Go find Carter. Let her know what's going on."
Teal'c nods, saying, "I will inform her of Daniel Jackson's condition."
As Teal'c walks away, Hammond enters the infirmary, pausing for a moment at the entrance before making his way towards O'Neill. "Good job finding our boy, Colonel." Hammond asks, "Any idea what happened to him?"
Jack rubs his face with his hands, frowning slightly as he says, "Aside from the fact that somebody beat the crap out of him, Sir, I don't know. But we did catch one of the bastards that did this to him, so we should know more when I can question him."
Hammond nods, looking pensive before saying, "Colonel, I just received word...the Pentagon has requested SG1 have further no involvement in the investigation."
Jack's eyes go wide, brows going up as he says, exasperated, "What? General, that rat bastard beat the living shit out of Daniel or at the very least he knows who did it. If you expect me to do my job and protect my team, you need to let me be involved in that investigation."
Hammond nods, lowering his voice slightly as he says, "I understand how you feel. I'm not exactly thrilled with this new development, but the Pentagon feels SG1 is too closely involved with the situation to be objective."
Jack turns a steady gaze at Hammond, asking, "Do you think this has anything to do with Jess and that little kidnapping plot we stopped?"
Hammond nods slightly, saying, "I'd lay odds on it."
Jack frowns again, watching absently as an airman, Siler, is led to a bed, holding a hand up to his head. Turning again to Hammond, O'Neill asks, "How did the Pentagon find out so fast, anyway?"
Hammond shrugs slightly, appearing displeased, "I don't know. But I intend to find out."
Shaking his head, O'Neill asks, "How did we get the intel on Daniel's location? Carter wasn't too clear on that."
Hammond gives O'Neill an odd look before saying, "Actually, it was Jess who gave us the name of the warehouse you found him in."
O'Neill raises a brow, asking, "How did she know?"
Hammond sighs, about to answer when Sam comes rushing into view. Slightly breathless, she asks, "Sirs...Daniel?"
O'Neill tells her, "Carter. We'll know more when he's out of surgery. What happened to you?" he asks, taking in her flushed cheeks.
Eyes slightly downcast, she takes a few deep breaths, trying to steady her breathing, "Ah....it's been a long day. Actually, Dr. Fraiser wants you in ISO RM 4 as soon as possible, sir."
O'Neill blinks, then nods once. Swallowing an expletive, he says instead, "Let me know when he's out of surgery, ok?"
Sam says, "I will, Sir." As O'Neill walks out of the infirmary, she shares a look with Hammond.
*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99