Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

You can't save them all - can you? pt 10

by Whisper99
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
You can't save them all - can you? pt 10

You can't save them all - can you? pt 10

by Whisper99

Summary: A slow day at the SGC has brought the team a mystery. Chapter: Out Of The Frying Pan
Category: Mystery
Episode Related: 704 Orpheus
Season: any Season
Pairing: none
Rating: 13+
Warnings: language
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-11-28

Stargate & SG-1 belong to lots of other people and entities. Jess was my idea. Thank goodness for late night visits from the Muse.

***Same day, early afternoon in the infirmary***

Teal'c is just outside the door, keeping his distance but maintaining a careful watch as Dr. Mackenzie enters the room.

He pulls up the well used chair by Jess' bedside and pulls out a notepad, saying by way of greeting, "Ms. O'Neill."

She doesn't look up from her book as she acknowledges his presence with a, "Doc."

Taking a pen out of his shirt pocket, he proceeds to write something down, "How're you feeling today?"

Still reading her book, she answers, "Fine." Though she can barely keep the contempt out of her voice.

He writes diligently in his notebook. "I am noting a hint of anger in your tone. Are you sure you're feeling fine?"

"Yes"

He writes in his notebook some more, "Hm"

That makes her look over at him. Frowning, she asks, "Hm, what?"

He answers blithely, "Just making an observation"

She sits back in the bed, setting her book aside, saying, "I said I was fine."

He taps the pen lightly on the edge of his notebook as he looks up at her, asking, "I understand that you were kidnapped by an alien life form and brought here to the SGC. Can you tell me how you feel about that?"

She gives him a flat stare, "Like I'm Dorothy." Sticking a bare foot out from under the blankets, she says, "'Cept somebody stole my ruby slippers so I can't go home." She wiggles her toes at him.

"I see." He pulls out a small tape recorder and sets it on the table next to him, pressing record. "Can you tell me what happened yesterday afternoon?"

Sighing, she answers, "I was apparently rescued,"

"And?" he prompts.

"And what?"

He writes diligently in his notebook. "What else happened yesterday afternoon?

She says simply, "Nothing happened."

Standing, he reaches out his hand, "Can you explain to me what happened to the contents of this?" and shows her the empty pill bottle containing her pain killers.

Turning away from him, Jess shrugs, but doesn't answer.

"Ms. O'Neill, you need to be truthful with me if I am to help you with your problem"

Lifting her chin, she says, "Doc...the only problem I have is you."

Slightly chastising, he says, "Ms. O'Neill."

She heaves a deep sigh, "Fine. I don't have _a_ problem. I have _many_ problems. None of which you can even begin to help me with, so I wouldn't even bother trying. "

Trying to draw her out, he offers, "Let's start with one problem at a time and see where we go from there."

Rubbing her forehead with her good hand, she says, really trying to keep from sounding annoyed "Problem #1. I don't like you. Problem #2 my arm is itching so bad I think I'm going to scream. Problem #3 It's been what...5 days and I've already been kidnapped twice...once not so legally, once apparently legally and oh, that would be three times if you count the one that got interrupted. Do you think that should count as three separate problems? Hm...did I already say I don't like you? Shall I go on?"

Ignoring her comments, he asks, "Ms. O'Neill, Dr. Jackson reports that you experienced a rather traumatic event as a child. It seems that the events of the last few days are directly related to that. Would you like to talk about it?"

Jess sets her jaw, frowning and does not answer.

Dr. Mackenzie looks up at her, asking, "Ms. O'Neill?"

Jess picks up her book and starts to read it again.

This time it's his turn to sigh, "Ms. O'Neill, I can't help you if you won't talk to me."

Jess continues to ignore him.

He writes diligently in his notebook. This time the doctor sighs, "Ok, Ms. O'Neill. I will be by again tomorrow to see if you change your mind."

***A few hours later ***

Dr. Mackenzie is seated in General Hammonds office, shuffling through his notes as he says, "In conclusion, I think she's a danger to herself and based on her recent attack on Dr. Jackson, she should be considered a danger to others." Looking up at the General, he adds, "I would go so far as to recommend that Dr. Jackson not be in the same room with her alone."

Hammond nods, looking displeased but says, "I will take your recommendations into consideration. What can we do for the girl in the meantime?

Dr. Mackenzie nods, answering, "I have already prescribed several medications that should keep her mood in check and perhaps make my next session with her a bit more productive."

*To be continued - Feedback will be appreciated!!*

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Whisper99