Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Year to the Day, A

by Allison West
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Year to the Day

A Year to the Day

by Allison West

TITLE: A Year to the Day
AUTHOR: Allison West
EMAIL: awest@pcpostal.com
CATEGORY: Friendship, Romance
PAIRING: Sam/Jack
SPOILERS: Divide and Conquer and a small one for Enemies.
SEASON / SEQUEL: 5
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS: none
SUMMARY: A year after Divide and Conquer, Sam and jack remember...
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Just a short one, no reading effort required. I personally am not overly happy with how it all turned out, and I think the ending is a little poor. But let me know what you think anyway.

Sam sat in the dark, her eyes closed thinking. It was late. She sat in the observation room where the zatarc testing had taken place, a million thoughts running through her head. She was reliving the past. The past on that momentous day one year ago. The year had gone by so quickly, and the memories of the day were still fresh in her mind. His voice, the look in his eyes as they bared their souls to each other and to the few people whom were present, Janet, Teal’c and Anise. It was here that their secret remained in this little tiny room. So much had happened to them this year, yet they were all still here, and nothing had changed. Everything was still bottled up inside, the regulations were still there, the pain was still ever present in her heart. She couldn’t believe that she had made it through this past year without everything falling apart.

Jack opened the door and flicked on the light switch to reveal his blonde haired 2IC sitting on the floor in the corner, leaning against the wall.

"Carter", he was startled by her presence, he didn’t think that there would be anyone in here. He had come for some sanctuary, to be alone, to reflect on that day. His entrance scared her out of her reverie. She looked up at the door to see her commanding officer standing in the entryway.

"Sir…you scared me", she was startled. How could she explain why she was in here alone in the dark?, and then it dawned on her that he had also come here. She wondered if it was for the same reasons.

"Sorry, I didn’t know anyone was in here", he said. Surprise was evident on both their faces. Instantly deep inside, each knew what the other was doing here. Their eyes met, their gaze holding for several seconds until Jack managed to speak. "Ummm, I was just…just…", he didn’t know how to finish the sentence.

"I know", she said softly. She understood why he was here. The same reason she was sitting here alone in the dark late at night, because she was focusing on what had happened, reminiscing about the moment that had finally brought them together but kept them apart.

"You remembered", he said, walking into the room and closing the door, burying his hands deep in his pockets.

"So did you", she said looking up at him.

"I could never forget", he said turning his eyes to the floor, his voice was barely audible as the words entered the air. He walked over and sat down next to her. They sat in companionable silence for a few moments until Jack spoke, "It’s been quite a year, huh?".

"Yeah, you know I thought we weren’t gonna make it there a few times". He threw her a look. "But I didn’t say it though", she smiled, remembering the Colonel’s attitude when they were on Apophis’s ship a few weeks ago. He laughed softly at the comment.

"It’s okay, you’re right. We almost lost each other this year". His words hung in the air as she recalled all that they had been through. Sam took a deep breath.

"This is so hard", she said, he voice filled with frustration but soft with a deep sadness that she kept within her.

"I know", he whispered. "But we can deal with it".

"I’m sick of dealing with it", she spat angrily as the tears started to well in her eyes. Jack reached across and grabbed her hand, holding it in his, trying to calm her. It was the only comfort he could give her.

"I know, Sam. But there’s nothing we can do about it. If there was some way you know I’d…"

"I know", she told him softly, wiping her eyes, recovering from her short bout of weakness. "I know you’d do whatever it took. It’s just that I’m so sick of all of this. Seeing you everyday and being with you everyday, just makes me realise how much I want to be with you". His heart melted. He felt the same way, she was the only one who understood what it was like, carrying this everyday. "Jack, I don’t know if I can keep doing this".

"It’s not easy for me either Sam. But we have to".

"Why?", she whispered, her frustration still present.

"Because we’re facing something right now that’s more important than us".

She listened to his words, letting them sink in. She knew he was right. They were fighting something bigger and greater than the both of them put together. It was the one thing that came into her head every time she was tempted to cross that line. The line that they walked ever so close to. No matter what happened in the future, she knew that she would always have a deep love for him. The Goa’uld could do many things but they could never take their love away. That was the one thing that was untouchable.

"Our jobs can be so lonely sometimes", Sam said solemnly.

"We’re not alone, Sam. We have each other, but just in a different way at the moment".

"I know", she said quietly.

"We’re friends. Remember?", he told her, trying to sound cheerful.

"Friends, huh?", she smiled.

"Yep, friends, and there’s no regulation that can take that away from us"

"Hmm, just remind of that fact next time we’re in the locker room and I want to jump you", she joked. He blushed but laughed with her.

"We better go and get some sleep", he told her, getting up and pulling her with him. "We’ve got an early briefing tomorrow".

"Yeah, you’re right", she said standing facing him, still holding his hand. She looked into his eyes feeling regret and frustration, but resigning herself to the truth that their time had not come yet. He could sense what she was feeling and looked down at her and gave her a reassuring smile.

"C’mere", he said holding his arms open. She looked at him and moved into his embrace. He held her for a few moments before pulling back to look at her.

"Are you gonna be okay?", he asked.

"Yeah, I think so. I still don’t feel good about this, but I guess I’m gonna have to live with it".

"We’ll be okay", he told her as they walked to the door. Jack was just about to the door but paused for a second, turning to look at her.

"Carter", he smiled cheekily. "Were you serious about that whole locker room thing?". She slid past him and opened the door, flashing him a wicked grin, before walking down out into the corridor, leaving him standing speechless in the doorway.

"Carter?", she called after her.

"Goodnight, sir", she grinned, before turning the corner.

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Allison West