Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Commensalation

by Allison West
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Commensalation

Commensalation

by Allison West

Title: Commensalation
Author: Allison West
Email: awest@pcpostal.com
Category: Angst, MissingScene/Epilogue, Romance
Episode related: 222 Out of mind, 301 Into the fire, 404 Crossroads, 604 Frozen
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Summary: Missing Scene from Frozen. Sam knows she can reach Jack.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Commensalation is the process of forming a relation between two different kinds of organism when one receives benefits from the other without damaging it. Please, feed a starving Aussie, send feedback.

You can also read this story on my website: http://samandjack.tvheaven.com/comm.html

"Sir, I think it's obvious we all want to do anything we can to help Colonel O'Neill, but I really think that this is something we at least have to give him the opportunity to decide for himself", Sam said with conviction, as they stood discussing the issue in the Briefing Room. The General paused to think. Carter was right. They owed Colonel O'Neill the opportunity to make the choice for himself. "I need an answer", Toran told the General. Time was running out for O'Neill and if they didn't come to a decision soon it would be too late. Sam had a sick feeling in her stomach. Why did it have to be this way? Why Colonel O'Neill? She knew in her heart that he would never allow them to blend him with a symbiote, even if it was a Tok'Ra. She knew he would rather die than risk losing a part of himself. This was a choice he would never want to make. It was a choice no one should ever have to make. The memory of the first time he had been blended back on Hathor's planet flashed in her mind. She knew he had painful memories of that experience, and a scar on the back of his neck to prove it. Even though they had never fully blended she knew the thought of being taken Host was a fear that Jack lived with everyday. It was something they all lived with. "Let's take it to Colonel O'Neill", the General said They all followed the General as he led the way down to the isolation room where O'Neill was being held.

Janet met them in the observation area as they looked down through the glass at Colonel O'Neill. Sam stood a few steps away from the rest of the group. Her arms were encircled around her waist as she gazed down at him. The reality of seeing him so ill shook her and she began to doubt that he would be able to listen to them. He lay so still on the bed, the oxygen mask pulled over his face. Her heart sank as she watched him. He was so weak, so vulnerable. She could feel her heart beating fast in her chest. What would she do if she lost him? She couldn't let him just roll over and die when there was a solution that could save him. She couldn't let him go knowing that he didn't have to. There were still so many things left unsaid and she was damned if she was going to let him give up. She had to be strong. 'He'll do this', she told herself over in her head. 'He'll do this'.

"How is he doing, Doctor?", the General asked Janet as she came to stand with the group. "No change", she said gravely. "He's still unconscious. He's not responding to any of the antibiotics I've administered. And now without Aiyanna I don't think he's going to make it. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do for him". "We may have a solution, Doctor. Toran here says that there is a Tok'Ra symbiote that may be able to help Colonel O'Neill. We've come to inform the Colonel of his options". 'Some option', Sam thought. She knew the Colonel well enough to know that he wouldn't like this. She knew that no matter what the circumstances he would never allow a 'snake' inside his head. She winced at the bluntness of the word, an all too familiar label that came from the Colonel's lips. But she had to believe that this was different. This time it was a Tok'Ra, not a Goa'uld, that fact alone should make the reality a little less harsh. "Sir, Colonel O'Neill is in a coma", Janet said vehemently with a bemused look, "It's unlikely he'll be even able to hear you let alone understand what your proposing". "I understand that Doctor, but I think its only fair that we at least try to explain this to him. I'm not willing to make a decision that would effect Colonel O'Neill life in such a way without first consulting him", the General explained.

"O'Neill will refuse this. I believe he would rather die than let a symbiote infest his body. It is one of his greatest fears", Teal'c interjected solemnly. "The symbiote's a Tok'Ra, Teal'c. Colonel O'Neill knows the distinction", Sam replied evenly. She knew full well that O'Neill didn't care about the distinction. A snake was a snake in his books. She only hoped he could see past that. "That is indeed correct Major Carter, however it is never truly clear whether the symbiote's intentions are just and good. You will recall Tanith's deception when he took the Host Hebron". She'd been trying not to think about that, but the thought was in the back of all their minds. "We have it on good word that this Tok'Ra is the real deal, Teal'c", General Hammond said, trying to affirm confidence in his people. They would never convince O'Neill if they didn't have faith themselves. "We never had that assurance with Shauna'c's symbiote, Teal'c. Toran swears that Kanan's intentions are good", Sam added, trying to convince Teal'c and herself at the same time. "That I do", Toran affirmed. "Kanan has been loyal to the Tok'Ra for generations. He can be trusted and the information he carries is very valuable. It may help both our worlds".

That would be the deciding factor for him. She knew that if O'Neill was going to go through with this at all there would have to be a good reason. If he knew how important the information was he might reconsider. "Sir, I don't know how I'm going to convince Colonel O'Neill to do this", Janet said apprehensively. "We all know the way he feels about blending. I don't think there's anything I could say that would change his mind, and quite frankly I don't think we should. It would be going against something that he believes very strongly about". "He'll do it", Sam said quietly from the window. She was trying to keep her voice even but it was difficult to conceal the emotion that lay beneath her skin. "I don't think he will Sam", Janet conceded sorrowfully. The General looked from Janet back to Sam. She looked down at the Colonel once more. She knew that he would do it if she asked him. She knew the power of the feelings between them, the deepness of their connection. She knew that their bond was strong enough to convince him. She knew that when his gaze met hers that he would know why she needed him to do this.

"He'll do it if I ask him", Sam murmured softly as she walked over to the group. "I know he will". She pushed past the them and walked down the stairs to the entrance of the isolation room. 'You've got to do this, Jack', she repeated in her mind as she slipped on the red containment suit. 'You've got to do this for yourself, for Earth and for the Tok'Ra. You've got to do this for me, Jack'.

The End.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Allison West