Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Nine Weeks

by Alexandra
[Reviews - 1]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Nine Weeks

Nine Weeks

by Alexandra

TITLE: Nine Weeks
AUTHOR: Alexandra
EMAIL: alexandra@ldedwards.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: Hathor
SEASON / SEQUEL: Season 3
RATING: PG-13
CONTENT WARNINGS: m/f, some language
SUMMARY: SG-1 come back from a mission with more than they bargained.
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: All the Aussies and Kiwis on the list - pay attention! There's a scene in here dedicated to you! This is a PG13 version of a story already posted to the SJadult list. And before you ask - yes there will be a sequel :-)

SG-1 surveyed their surroundings as the Gate winked out behind them. They found themselves in a clearing surrounded by fields. It was a bright sunny day; the sky was a deep azure blue, with a few white fluffy clouds for variation. It appeared to be a late spring morning. In the distance they could see what appeared to be a small village. Daniel looked around and then back at his teammates, absently pushing his glasses back up his nose.

"Well, it makes a change from trees," he offered, glancing at the team leader. Jack didn't reply. Instead he looked up and around, squinting a little, before glancing at Sam, as if to say, 'Well, whaddaya think?' She shrugged in reply and glanced in the direction of the village. He nodded.

"Ok, let's go visiting," Jack announced, shifting his gear to a more comfortable walking position.

It wasn't far to the village; they could have been there within about twenty minutes. But, as usual, SG-1 got a little side-tracked. Sam made her usual enthusiastic observations along the way, stopping to collect soil and vegetation samples, and commenting on the similarity of the crops growing in the fields to the one's found on Earth. She and Daniel were soon in a deep discussion about the people of the planet and their possible origins, their agricultural abilities, and the possible societal structure, throwing the occasional question at Teal'c to see what he knew. He apparently was unfamiliar with the planet and it's people. Jack they ignored for the most part, as he rarely was able to contribute much to the discussions. When Sam stopped for a fifth time to exclaim over yet another plant and take samples, Jack finally lost his patience.

"For cryin' out loud Carter! I'd like to get there today, *if* you don't mind?"

Sam looked up at him from where she knelt beside the plant she seemed so interested in. "Sorry, sir. I won't be a moment." Jack threw his hands up in disgust and turned away, muttering to himself. Sam flicked a glance at Daniel, and did her best to hide a smile. Daniel swore she did it just to bait Jack. And it worked every time. Sometimes he really wondered about those two. He grinned back. But his smile faded as he noticed some of the villagers approaching them.

"Uh...Sam?" he said, indicating the villagers. Sam turned, slipping the vial she was holding into her bag and quickly standing up, all traces of humour gone. Together with Daniel and Teal'c she moved to take up position next to Jack to greet the 'locals'. There were about ten of them, both male and female, and dressed simply in what appeared to be hand woven garments of various shades of browns and greens.

"Uh... Hi," Jack started as they reached them.

"Greetings," a small woman with curly brown hair and a pleasant, open expression said, stepping forward to address them. "We have watched your approach from the Ring. We thought you would reach us sooner, but when you did not arrive, it was decided we would come here to greet you," she smiled.

"Uh, yeah... We would have arrived sooner, but we were admiring the surroundings," Jack explained, shooting a look at Sam, who glanced innocently back.

Daniel stepped forward to initiate the introductions. "I'm Daniel," he began, placing his hand briefly on his chest, "This is Teal'c, Major Sam Carter, and Colonel Jack O'Neill," he finished, motioning to his teammates.

"We are pleased to meet you," the woman said. "My name is Bralla."

"And I am Wyan," said the man beside her. He was also fairly small, but where Bralla was slender, Wyan was what could only be described as round. "You are most welcome. Please, join us in our walk back to the village."

"Thank you," Daniel replied, giving Jack a quick look. He nodded and gestured for them to follow their hosts. Bralla fell into step beside Teal'c, dwarfed by his size. "You are Jaffa," she observed.

"Yes," he replied, surprised. Bralla nodded. Sam and Jack exchanged looks.

"You know the Jaffa?" Sam asked.

"Yes, but to my knowledge they do not usually travel without the Goa'uld. How is it you came to be with these people?" she asked Teal'c.

"It is a long story," Teal'c avoided.

"How do you know the Goa'uld?" Jack asked.

This time Wyan answered. "They used to visit us, but have not done so for several generations."

"'Visit' you?" Jack persisted.

"Yes, they would come looking for hosts. But they were always unsuccessful. In time they gave up."

"May I ask why they were unsuccessful?" Sam enquired.

Wyan smiled at her. "You may. Our physiology and abilities made us unsuitable as hosts. When they finally realized this, they left us alone."

"Your 'abilities'?" Jack asked, looking skeptical. He shot another glance at Sam, this one a little concerned. She raised her eyebrows at him.

Bralla smiled at him reassuringly. "You will see. There is nothing for you to be concerned about Colonel." She stopped and turned to face them, with her fellow people behind her. "Welcome to our village," she announced with a bow. "Please, make yourself comfortable. Someone will show you were you can place your things, and then I hope you will join us for our midday meal? Afterwards we will be happy to show you around, and tell you more about ourselves. And, I hope, you will tell us more about the world you come from. It has been many years since we have had friendly visitors through the Ring."

They were shown to a small, simply built wooded house by a boy who appeared to be in his teens, and led inside.

"I hope you will find this comfortable," he said, looking admiringly at Sam.

"Yes, I'm sure we will. Thank you," Sam replied oblivious to the admiration, and the boy blushed.

"If there is anything else you need, please ask," he said in a rush, and departed.

"Looks as though you have an admirer," Jack observed. Sam sent him a 'look', and struggled to get her pack off. Jack ignored it, and wandered over to help her, loosening the pack and pulling it off her shoulders.

"Thank you, sir," she said grudgingly.

Daniel was already investigating their quarters. Besides the living area in which they were now standing, there were five doors. He opened each of them in turn. "Looks like we each get our own room, but we'll have to share the bathroom, though."

"So, people, what do you think of our hosts?" Jack started, pulling one of the chairs towards him, spinning it round, and sitting down with his arm's resting over the back of it.

"They appear to be friendly," Teal'c observed.

"Appearances can be deceiving," Jack replied. "Daniel? What do you think?"

Daniel sat himself opposite, leaning his elbows in his knees and toying with his hat. "Well, I'd say they are more advanced than they appear to be."

Also finding a seat, Sam asked, "What makes you say that Daniel?"

"I'm not sure... Just the way they spoke. They're aware of other worlds, their crop layout and use of irrigation and drainage systems, and the word 'physiology'. Not many peoples use that word. But, I agree with Teal'c, they seem friendly enough."

Their discussion was interrupted by the appearance of Bralla at the door.

"I assure you, you have nothing to fear from us, and we are most willingly to answer all your questions," she smiled. "Will you join us?" She turned and left, obviously expecting them to follow her.

"An advanced civilization that's willing to answer our questions?" Jack observed standing up. "That'd be a first." He motioned the others to precede him out of the cottage.

They crossed what obviously passed for the village square and followed Bralla into a larger dwelling, in which the entire village appeared to be gathered. Food was laid out on a table in the center of the room, and people were helping themselves, taking seats wherever they could find room.

"Do you always share meals this way?" Sam asked Bralla.

"Yes," Bralla smiled. "It is the most efficient way of distributing food, and also a very pleasurable one. In this way we are able to gather and share our news, and bear each other company."

Sam nodded slowly. "I see."

"Please, take your meal, and sit where you wish. You are most welcome here," Bralla invited them.

"Ok," Jack said as they made their way to the table, "Does anyone else here find this a *little* bit too..."

"Nice, sir?" Sam finished for him, with a half smile. She reached for an earthenware plate.

"Not quite the word I was looking for, but yeah... Nice. They get along far too well."

"Not every culture thrives on dissent, O'Neill," Teal'c pointed out.

"Yeah," Daniel agreed, picking up what appeared to be a dish of vegetables and sniffing it cautiously. "Just look at the Nox." He put a generous quantity of the vegetable on his plate. He caught a look from Jack, and shrugged. "They look like beans."

"Right," Jack replied looking at the dish suspiciously before placing some on his own plate. He contemplated what he was trying to say for a few moments. "What I mean is..." His voice trailed off as he looked up and realized that his team had been separated and had been invited to eat with various members of the community. He caught Sam's eye as she sat down with a small group of young people, including the boy who had shown them their little cottage. She shrugged and mouthed 'sorry, sir' at him and was promptly engulfed in discussion. He looked around and saw Daniel and Teal'c in the same position.

"Would you join us, Colonel?"

Jack turned to find Wyan beside him. 'Great,' he thought, and followed Wyan to a corner of the dwelling. He did manage to find a position where he could comfortably watch the rest of his team, however. He looked over and saw that Sam had achieved the same thing. Catching his eye again, she smiled reassuringly. Jack resigned himself to some polite discussion.

They met up again after the meal in their little cottage.

"Well, people," Jack started as they sat themselves down around the small table in the center of the room, "What did we learn at lunch?"

"They're definitely more advanced than they appear to be," Sam said. "They are well aware of how the Stargate works, and could quite easily make a large range of labour saving devices, but have chosen not to."

"It's like they've chosen to simplify things as much as they can," Daniel agreed.

"They are also well aware of other worlds in the galaxy, but have no desire to visit them themselves," Teal'c added. "They say they have no need. Everything they require is here."

"I also found out that there are many such communities scattered over the entire world, not just here," Daniel said. "And they all thrive."

Jack nodded. "Just your average friendly neighbourhood nice guys," he said sarcastically.

"Sir? Don't you think you're being a little cynical? Maybe they are what they seem, for once."

"Maybe Carter, but I don't want any of us to let our guard down, ok? We've been fooled before."

"Yes sir," she replied, meeting Daniel's gaze. Jack was well aware of the meaning of the look that passed between them. The 'he's over-reacting again' look. He glared at them both.

"Colonel O'Neill is right," Teal'c announced. "We should remain vigilant."

"There, ya see?"

"Although I do not believe they pose a threat, O'Neill," Teal'c added. Jack rolled his eyes. They were interrupted by a knock at the door.

"May we come in?" Bralla asked.

"Sure," Jack replied, as Wyan and Bralla entered.

"We thought you might like to see the rest of village, and how we do things here," Wyan said.

"Yes," Sam said enthusiastically. "With your permission of course, sir," she added giving Jack a cursory glance as she headed towards the door, with Daniel close behind.

"Do I have a choice?" he replied.

"I do not believe so," Wyan replied, smiling first at Jack then at the Major as she brushed past him to follow Bralla.

*** Bralla looked at Daniel who was nursing a cup of water after trying some more of the local cuisine, and then back Sam and Jack who were involved in an animated discussion with Wyan. Teal'c was also with them, but was remaining silent for the most part, as was his habit.

"Major Sam Carter is Colonel Jack O'Neill's spouse is she not?"

Daniel almost choked on the water he was sipping. Oh, how he'd love for Sam and Jack to have heard that.

"No, they aren't married. And it's just Sam and Jack," he explained. "Major and Colonel are just ranks." He saw Bralla's confused look. "It's a title. It denotes a chain of command. Of leadership."

"I see. But you do not have one?"

"Ah, no. Well I do, but not a military one. My title is 'doctor', because I'm a scholar, a scientist. Sam also holds that title, as well as Major. But that title is only used in formal circumstances."

"But the military," Bralla said, struggling a little with the unfamiliar word, "They use their titles all the time?"

"Yes. They believe they need to constantly reinforce their chain of command."

"And what exactly is this 'military', Daniel?"

"It's an organization, well several actually, originally set out for defense purposes. Although they do a lot of research and study now. And in our case, exploration."

"I understand. We also used to have such organizations once. But we eventually found them to be unnecessary."

"I hope that one day we will too," Daniel admitted.

Returning to her original topic, Bralla asked, "So Sam and Jack are not espoused? I was certain from observation that they were."

"Uh... no. They're just friends. And even if they weren't, there are certain rules in the military preventing such... relationships."

"Really? Why is that?"

"The military like to preserve the chain of command and the dynamics of the unit. This could be compromised if two members were to become... involved."

Bralla nodded. "It is a pity," she said. "They seem well paired."

Daniel kept his own thoughts on that to himself. They turned from their conversation back to the scene before them. Jack, as usual had found a small object to play with while they talked. It seemed to be a small ball, which he began to throw up and down, as Sam watched, a little disapprovingly. He seemed to catch her eye, and missed his next catch, and the little ball fell to the ground and rolled into the grass. He reached down to retrieve it, and pulled his hand back with a yelp.

"I think something bit me!" he said angrily, cradling his hand.

Wyan frowned. "What did it look like?" he asked as Bralla and Daniel headed over.

"I dunno... it was small with lots of legs..." He frowned. "Ya know... I don't feel so good." He sat down heavily.

"Colonel? Sir?" Sam asked concerned, her attention now fully on Jack.

"It sounds like a tekwop. Here, let me see your hand," Bralla said hurriedly.

Jack looked up at her as she took his hand. "A *tekwop*?" Jack was obviously having trouble concentrating.

"What exactly is a tekwop?" Sam asked, kneeling beside her CO.

"It's a poisonous crawler. It has a nasty bite." She frowned and concentrated on the wound. Jack's faced paled and he fell backwards, unconscious.

"Colonel!" Sam gasped. She leaned forward and placed her hand on his throat to check his pulse. It was there but thin and high. "Can't you do something?"

Bralla ignored her and concentrated. Sam watched amazed as the large welt that had formed on Jack's hand disappeared. Jack stirred.

"How did you do that?" Sam asked Bralla softly, her hand still resting gently on her CO's cheek, the other on his chest.

"Sam?" he asked softly. Her attention went back to him. Daniel raised his eyebrows at Jack's slip.

"Sir? Are you alright?"

He nodded. "I think so. What happened?"

"You were bitten by a tekwop," Bralla explained. "We need to get you inside and comfortable so I can treat you further." Teal'c bent down next to Jack and helped Sam to get him to his feet.

"I'm alright," Jack insisted. "I can get back to the cottage on my own." Teal'c and Sam looked doubtful, but let him go. Jack swayed unsteadily. "Uh..." Sam and Teal'c took the hint, and assisted him back to their quarters. Once inside Bralla indicated they should guide him to his room. The room was not very large, and the bed appeared to take up most of the space. It was one of the biggest beds Sam had ever seen. Two people could sleep comfortably on it and not disturb each other in the least. She wondered if hers was the same. The only other furniture in the room was a chair in one corner, and a small dresser opposite the door. Bralla motioned to them to place him on the far side of the bed. By the time they got him comfortable, he had passed out again.

"Sir?" Sam asked, her voice betraying her concern. She looked at Bralla, as she moved around the bed to join Sam at Jack's side.

"Stand back," Bralla ordered quietly. With a few moments hesitation, and a quick glance at Daniel, did as she was told. Bralla bent forward slightly and placed her fingers lightly on Jack's temples. Slowly a glow began to radiate from her, becoming brighter and brighter until the others in the room had to close their eyes and turn away. The glow lasted for some time, but when they turned back, Jack seemed to be resting comfortably and Bralla was pulling a blanket up over him. Sam moved quickly back to the bed, placing her hand gently on the Colonel's neck, checking his pulse.

"His pulse is normal, and he seems to be asleep," she said. She looked at Bralla, puzzled.

"How did you do that?" Daniel finally asked.

"It is one of our abilities, one which the Goa'uld found so difficult to assimilate," Wyan explained.

Sam thought this over, and quickly came to a conclusion. "You're telepathic?" Sam asked.

"No," Bralla replied, "We are more empathic than telepathic." Sam nodded slowly, digesting this information.

"Bralla has special abilities beyond those of most of our people," Wyan added. Bralla smiled a little shyly.

"I can sense injury or disease, and in most cases heal it," she explained.

"There are very few such people on our world. We are very privileged to have her in our village."

"So that's what happened? You sensed the Colonel's injury and healed it?"

Bralla shook her head. "Not exactly. It is more complicated than that. I cannot explain it, even to myself. It's more like I 'encourage' the body to heal itself."

"And you can sense disease in all of us?" Daniel asked.

"Yes," Bralla answered. "Although in your case, Daniel, I'm afraid there is little I can do to help. You must find your own cure." Daniel blinked and shared a puzzled glance with Sam, who raised her eyebrows in reply, her expression slightly amused. Bralla turned to Teal'c. "You Teal'c are well taken care of by your symbiote. Although I am able to remove the symbiote with no harm to it or yourself if you so wish."

Teal'c seemed to contemplate this for a few moments, but then replied, "I do not. But I thank you for the offer." He inclined his head in acknowledgement.

"That's as I thought it would be." Bralla looked at Sam then, and frowned. "But you Sam, are out of balance, and that I can correct," she said.

Now it was Sam's turn to blink. "Excuse me?"

Bralla sighed, thinking these humans were a difficult species. "Your body does not function as it should. Something has disrupted it. You have an excess of some chemicals and an insufficiency of others." She moved closer to Sam and gently touched her fingertips to her temples.

"What?" Sam began to ask, starting to back away slightly.

"Shhh, Sam. Relax," Bralla said softly, the bright glow which had surrounded her during her healing of Jack returning, growing until it blinded the others in the room once more. Daniel and Teal'c tried to move closer, but found themselves unable to move. Suddenly they heard Sam cry out, and a distinct thump on the floor. The glow disappeared to reveal Sam's crumpled form.

"Sam!" Daniel cried, rushing to her side.

"Sam?" he asked softly. Getting no response, her looked to Bralla accusingly. "What did you do?"

Bralla smiled warmly. "She will be fine, Daniel. I just returned her normal balance. Now she will be able to function normally. She needs rest now, as does Colonel O'Neill."

"Her 'normal balance'? What do you mean by that?" Daniel asked.

"There are certain chemicals in the body which regulate a person. Hers were not functioning as they should. Some had been blocked, others changed. I just put them back into their natural order."

"Oh," Daniel said, still looking wary, and more than a little concerned for his friends.

Teal'c bent down and picked up the Major, raising an eyebrow as Bralla indicated that he should place her on the bed on the opposite side to O'Neill. "It is best that they remain in here together so I am able to watch over them."

"I will remain with you," Teal'c announced.

"As you wish, Teal'c. Although it is not necessary."

Teal'c inclined his head in acknowledgement and took up his position next to the door. Daniel looked from Bralla to Teal'c and back again. Then he gently drew Teal'c aside.

"I don't really think that's necessary, Teal'c. Despite what has happened, I really don't think she'd harm either of them. And we'll be right next door."

Teal'c looked doubtful, but he inclined his head, and followed Daniel from the room.

Sam woke first the next morning. At first she couldn't quite figure out where she was. She opened her eyes slowly, and found herself staring at a thatched roof. Beneath her was a bed - a little on the hard side, but comfortable. She turned her head and saw the whitewashed wall and a small table. Looking the other way, she saw... Colonel O'Neill. She sat up quickly. Too quickly. Her head swam and she closed her eyes until the world stopped spinning.

"You're awake?" a familiar voice said softly. Sam glanced in the direction of the voice, and saw Bralla sitting in the corner. "How do you feel?" she continued.

Sam thought for a moment, then said in a surprised voice, "Good, better than I've felt in a long time actually." And it was true - although at first she had felt disorientates and dizzy, she now couldn't remember the last time she felt this rested and full of energy.

"I restored your balance," Bralla smiled. Sam looked at her for a moment, a little puzzled, before turning her attention to her CO. "How's the Colonel?"

"He's just fine, Sam. You needn't worry. You should go and find something to break your fast. You will be hungry."

Sam nodded, realizing she was famished. She stood and moved towards the door. She hesitated a moment, and turned back to Bralla. "What did you mean when you said you restored my balance?" she asked.

Bralla smiled that calm, comforting smile again. "Something has happened to you in the past that has upset the way your body functions, and you seem to have taken something which has upset the balance further. You have not had a woman's normal monthly cycle in many moons, have you?"

Sam quietly shook her head, wondering how on earth Bralla knew all this. "No," she answered softly.

"I simply returned your body's ability to function as it should. Now go and eat, my dear. I will watch over your Colonel until he wakes," she reassured her.

Sam blinked at Bralla's use of 'your Colonel' and looked as though she was going to ask something else, but changed her mind and opened the door to the living area. Closing it quietly behind her, she was greeted by Daniel and Teal'c who were having breakfast.

"Major Carter," Teal'c acknowledged, standing and pulling out her chair for her.

"Sam! How are you feeling?" Daniel asked. "We were worried. How's Jack?"

"I'm fine, Daniel. I've never felt better in fact. Jack's still asleep." She reached for the bread and what appeared to be cheese.

"Did she tell you what happened?" Daniel asked.

Sam nodded, taking a ravenous bit out of the bread and cheese. She couldn't believe how hungry she felt. "She said she returned my body's balance to normal."

"What did she mean by that, Major Carter?" Teal'c asked. Sam blushed slightly.

"Well, I haven't exactly been... ah... regular for a while. Not since Jolinar. That and the drugs they make the women take at the SGC," she explained her eyes on her bread and cheese. Daniel and Teal'c nodded. They were interrupted by the door to Jack's room opening. They turned to find Jack standing in the doorway, with Bralla close behind him.

"Good morning campers!" he greeted brightly. They stared at him for a moment, unable to believe his cheery mood. He was normally a bear in the mornings. "How are we this morning?" he continued. They all smiled and nodded, replying with the usual 'good thanks' as he sat down and found himself something to eat.

"How are you, sir?" Sam asked.

"I'm fine, Major." Sam looked at Bralla for confirmation. She smiled and nodded.

"He is well, Sam. Do not worry. Feeling well rested and happy is normal after what happened yesterday." Sam nodded. Jack just raised an eyebrow at them both and reached for another piece of bread.

"Well it'll make a really interesting story for the debriefing with Hammond," Daniel noted.

Soon after breakfast they made their preparations for returning to the SGC. They arranged for another team to come back in a few weeks to conclude treaty and formal friendship arrangements with Bralla and Wyan's people, and were escorted back to the Gate. They made their farewells and headed home.

Five days later.

Sam woke suddenly. She lay in her bed unmoving, trying to quell her suddenly roiling stomach. Nope. It wasn't going to work. She pushed back the covers and dove for her bathroom, praising the fact it was an ensuite. She leaned over the toilet bowl, breathing heavily. Sitting back, she wiped the tears from her eyes, and slowly stood, gingerly reaching for the vanity. What on earth had brought that on? She ran over everything she had eaten the night before. Nothing sprang to mind as the probable cause. She turned on the tap and splashed some cold water on her face and reached for her towel. She'd go downstairs and have a couple of pieces of dry toast; that always seemed to settle her stomach when she felt queasy. It was probably just some twenty-four hour thing. It was good she had a couple of days stand-down to get over it. She made her way gingerly downstairs to the kitchen. She put the kettle on, and put a couple of pieces of bread in the toaster.

Two days later Sam returned to the base for duty. She still wasn't feeling one hundred percent, but as long as she kept to bland food she thought she'd be okay. She'd rung and spoke to Janet briefly, and she had said to come and see her if it hung around too long. Sam didn't think she really needed to bother Janet about a stomach bug that would probably be gone in a couple more days anyway. Besides she had a lot of work to do, and lying around at home feeling sorry for herself wasn't going to get it done. There was an important meeting scheduled for the following day concerning the new, stronger iris and the more stable gate software they were planning to install and test over the next few weeks. She had to come up with a way of telling Hammond he was not going to able to schedule any off-world missions. He was not likely to be too impressed. Sam sighed and headed down to the SGC to ensconce herself in her lab for the next eighteen or so hours.

The meeting the next day did not go well from Sam's point of view. General Hammond, as she had suspected, was not impressed about having to postpone several missions while they upgraded the Stargate systems. Too top it off she still wasn't feeling well, and the sight of an airman arriving bearing bagels was too much for her delicate stomach. One whiff and she was running to the nearest bathroom to review her lunch. To make matters worse, Colonel O'Neill had followed her. Sometimes she really wished they had separate bathrooms rather than the unisex ones that permeated the base. Although she somehow doubted it would have made a difference; he would more than likely followed her in regardless of the sign on the door. The man was like that sometimes. He had taken one look at her pale face and told her to go and see Janet. She had promptly replied that she was fine, and that the meeting hadn't finished, and he had actually *ordered* her to the infirmary, and threatened to escort her there if she didn't go immediately. Under protest she had gone. Unfortunately, Janet had been called to assist a patient elsewhere, and she had seen another doctor who had diagnosed a stomach virus and advised several days' bed rest, just to be on the safe side.

She had ignored the advice and taken the opportunity to go back to her lab to finish off some reports. Unfortunately for her, Colonel O'Neill had done some checking up on her, and on discovering she was still on the base, and in her lab even, he had ordered her to go home immediately, saying the last thing they needed was Sam flat on her back in the infirmary. They could cope quite happily without her, and if he so much as suspected she was working at home, there'd be hell to pay. Then he escorted her to her car. Janet had later rung and told her she was under orders to stay home for a full seven days until she was completely well. So she had spent the next week at home, bored out of her mind.

The meeting seemed to drag. All Sam wanted to do was go to her quarters and sleep. She had already put in her report on the samples they'd taken from P3Y786 a couple of days ago, and she'd lost track of the discussion soon after. It wasn't like her to do so, but she really couldn't help it; she had absolutely no concentration today. Although she didn't realize it, her quietness and inattention had been noticed by the others in the room, as well as her general appearance of fatigue. Hammond called the meeting to an end, and they all stood to gather their things. Sam looked up and realized they'd been dismissed. Standing quickly to cover her inattention, she suddenly swayed, the blood rushing from her face.

"Whoa, Carter!" Jack said, catching her shoulders. "Sit down and put your head between your knees." Sam did as she was told. Not that she had much choice. She was sure she would end up horizontal on the floor if she didn't.

"Sorry, sir."

"Yeah, just keep your head down," he replied crouching beside her.

Hammond called to the airman in the hallway. "Get Doctor Frasier," he ordered before turning back to the Major.

"Carter, what time did you finish up and go to bed last night?" Jack asked. He knew she hadn't gone home, so it was pointless asking that.

Sam brought her head up, only to have Jack push it back down again. She sighed.

"Major?" Hammond asked.

"After midnight," she finally admitted.

Jack let out annoyed breath. Sam was glad she couldn't see his face right then.

"How long after?"

He heard Sam mutter something. "What was that, Major?" Jack asked, emphasizing her rank.

She lifted her head, "About two."

Jack pushed her head down once more. "Carter, how many times do we have to discuss this?" he asked, annoyed. "You need to take better care of yourself! You've just come back from a nasty bout of flu, which the Doc has assured me was the result of over work, and now you're working, what, eighteen hour days?"

"Sorry, sir," she said softly. "I just wanted to get those samples analyzed for the briefing today. And with the new iris and Gate software we're about to install..."

"Major," Hammond began, "You're not going to be any good to us or yourself if you're constantly exhausted," he reprimanded, as Janet came in.

Sam sighed. "No, sir," she agreed.

"What happened?" Janet asked approaching where Sam sat. "Major?"

Sam lifted her head again, "Nothing. I just came over a little woozy."

"She fainted," Jack disagreed.

Sam's head came right up at that. "I did not!" she exclaimed angrily, and immediately regretted bringing her head up so fast. The room spun. She closed her eyes, and put her head down again. "Ughhh..."

"Ok," Janet said, "Major, can you stand? I'd like to check you over in the infirmary."

Sam raised her head slowly this time, and nodded. "I think so." She put her hands on the edge of her chair and levered herself up. Jack put his hand on her arm to help her steady herself. Then he and Janet guided her out of the room, and down to the infirmary.

They guided her to one of the beds and helped her up on it.

"So you're still feeling off-color?" Janet asked. Sam nodded. Janet picked up a tongue depressor, and Sam obediently opened her mouth.

"Say 'ahh'," Jack advised, gaining a 'look' from both women. He grinned. Janet disposed of the depressor and felt Sam's neck for swollen lymph nodes. She frowned.

"What are your other symptoms?" she asked.

"I don't know," Sam shrugged. "I'm tired, I guess. But I've working late..." She ignored Jack's grunt.

"Any headaches? Tenderness?"

Sam shook her head. "It's just the nausea and tiredness. But one could easily be attributed to the other Janet..."

"Well, I'm going to draw some blood and runs some tests," Janet said turning to find a syringe. Sam gave a resigned sigh, and pushed up her sleeve. "It may take a day or so to get the results, though, and while we wait I want *you* to go to your quarters and *rest*." Janet looked pointedly at Sam as she swabbed her arm and drew two vials of blood.

"I'm fine, Janet, really," she protested, pushing her sleeve back down. She grimaced as Janet handed her a small plastic jar, and a plastic bag with two smaller jars inside.

"Is that what I think it's for?" she asked.

"We have to rule out any bacterial infection," Janet explained. "There are instructions inside the bag." She nodded her head towards the bathroom. Sam made a face, but did as she was told. Jack turned to Janet as Sam left.

"What do you think's wrong Doc?" he asked. Janet glanced at him as she tidied up her things. She could tell he was worried, and quite frankly, so was she.

"I don't know, Colonel. It could be any of a number of things. We won't know until we get the test results back. Now, don't ask me anything else, sir. Doctor-patient privilege, remember?"

Jack narrowed his eyes at her, but nodded, and took a seat on one of the nearby beds until Sam got back.

Sam returned a few minutes later and handed the bag to Janet, then resumed her place on the bed. She looked a little pale. "Is that all?" she asked. Janet nodded.

"Now I want you to go to your quarters and get some rest, alright. Doctor's orders." Sam opened her mouth to protest.

"Oh, for crying out loud, Carter!" Jack exclaimed, starting to lose his patience with his 2IC. "Anyone else would gladly leap at the opportunity to take a couple of days off! You seem to take it as an insult."

"*Go*, Sam," Janet said, giving her a push. "I don't want to see you up until at least oh-eight-hundred tomorrow, is that clear?" Sam nodded, giving in, and pushed herself off the bed.

Jack and Janet exchanged a glance as she headed towards the door. Jack nodded, and followed Sam.

"I'll make sure she gets to her quarters, Doc," Jack assured her. Sam glared at him, and Janet nodded.

Halfway down the corridor Sam stopped and turned back to him. "Sir, you don't need to follow me."

"I know that, major. I'm just concerned for your welfare," he replied. Sam looked at him for a few moments as though she was trying to assess his sincerity. Finally she turned and headed towards her quarters, making no further argument when he followed her. In the elevator Jack turned and watched her lean tiredly against the wall, her eyes closed.

"Sam?" he asked softly. "Why do you keep doing this to yourself? You've got nothing to prove, you know."

Sam opened her eyes, trying to ignore the fluttery feeling in her stomach at the sound of her name from his lips. She shrugged. "I always have something to prove, sir," she answered in a barely audible voice.

Jack let out a breath as the elevator came to a halt and the doors slid open. He let Sam exit first, and followed. "You don't have anything to prove to me," he said quietly. Sam halted, and turned back to him, her face slightly flushed.

"I... Thank you, sir," she replied shyly. She started walking again. "Are you going to walk me all the way to the door, Colonel?" she asked.

"The gentleman that I am... Yes, Major." Sam grinned at his reply. "I'll even tuck you in if necessary," he added, raising an eyebrow at her; observing her blushing and slightly flustered expression. For a moment he wondered whether he had gone a little too far.

"Ah, thank you sir, but I don't think that's necessary," she said with a shy smile as they reached her quarters. Jack breathed an inward sigh of relief. Sam opened the door, and glanced back at him. "I can take it from here, sir."

"Good, Major. Now I don't want to see you up until tomorrow morning, is that clear?"

"Yes, sir. I'll do as Janet ordered, sir."

Jack nodded. "Sleep well, major," turning away. "Oh, and if you ever do need tucking in..." he added suggestively.

"You'll be the first to know, sir," Sam replied as she closed the door, giving him a quick cheeky grin.

Jack stood for a dew moments just staring at her closed door before shaking himself out of his trance.

"Get over it, Jack," he muttered harshly, and headed towards Daniel's lab.

Sam slept late the next day, a testament to just how exhausted she was. She rolled over, wondering if this morning the nausea would finally subside and she would be able to make it out of bed without needing to run for the bathroom. No such luck. She threw back the covers and dashed for the toilet. Quite frankly she was getting sick of it. She groaned at her own pun. She stood shakily and flushed the toilet. Finding her toothbrush, she quickly brushed her teeth, before finding her towel and heading for the shower. She was just finishing getting dressed when someone knocked on the door. Running a hand through her still damp hair, she opened it to find Daniel.

"Hi, Sam. How are you feeling? When you didn't turn up for our meeting, I was worried."

Sam quickly checked her watch, surprised to see it was after ten am. "I'm sorry, Daniel, I didn't realize it was so late."

Daniel shrugged. "That's ok. Jack told me what happened yesterday afternoon. You sure you're alright?"

Sam gave him an exasperated look. "I'm fine Daniel, really." Daniel looked doubtful.

"How about we go to the mess hall and see about getting you some breakfast, and start our meeting there?" Sam nodded, silently hoping there would be something at least vaguely edible there which she wouldn't have to fight to keep down

They spent the next few hours going over Daniel's findings from a number of planets they had visited for a report he was to present to the General and associated others the next day. It wasn't like he really needed help with it, but he liked to bounce ideas off Sam. She often had a different perspective on things, and he liked that. Today, however, Sam was distracted and had trouble concentrating - and Daniel couldn't help but notice. He kept his silence, however, knowing she would talk to him when and if she was ready. He was glad when Jack came and interrupted them later that afternoon.

"Hey, I thought I might find the both of you here," he announced as he came in, juggling two cups of coffee. Sam and Daniel looked up from the small statuette that they had been studying and smiled.

"Ah, coffee! Jack you read my mind," Daniel said gratefully, taking his cup.

"And with a shot of vanilla for the Major," Jack said, handing Sam her steaming cup. She accepted it and took a brief sip before putting it down and dashing from the room.

"Dammit," Jack muttered. Daniel stared after her, perplexed.

"She keeps doing that," he observed, glancing back at Jack.

"Yeah, I noticed that myself," Jack replied. He looked after Sam with a frown. 'Anyone would think she was...' He cut off the thought. Nah, she couldn't be. Sam was more careful than that, and he didn't think she was involved with anyone [at least he damn-well hoped she wasn't]. He turned back to Daniel, who was watching him thoughtfully. No, staring more like, Jack thought. He raised an eyebrow in query.

"You're really worried about her, aren't you?" Daniel asked hesitantly.

"Yeah," Jack answered slowly and carefully. "She's my second in command, a very important officer to this base, and she's a friend."

"You sure that's all it is, Jack?" Daniel asked. Jack glared at him, and opened his mouth to voice a cutting reply, but was thankfully interrupted by Sam's return.

"Sorry," she apologized when she took her seat. "The smell of the coffee for some reason..."

"Have you been to see Janet yet?" Jack interrupted. He glared at her when she shook her head. "Go now, Major. And that's an order."

"Yes, sir!" Sam replied shortly, leaving the room again.

"Ah... That was a bit harsh, wasn't it, Jack?" Daniel asked.

"She should have gone and seen Doc first thing this morning, Daniel," Jack replied with annoyance. "I can't understand why she's being so stubborn!"

Daniel sighed, unable to answer that.

Sam knocked quietly on Janet's door. She looked up and smiled.

"Sam. I was wondering when you were going to get here. Sit down." Sam smiled in response and took a seat.

"I got tied up with Daniel. Well?"

Janet frowned as she picked up Sam's file with the test results inside. "Sam have you noticed any breast tenderness the last few weeks? Any abdominal cramps?"

Sam nodded. "Yeah, a little. Why?"

"And your last shot of Depronova was about two months ago, is that right? And you noticed no side effects from it?"

"That's right, and no I didn't. Why?" she repeated. "Shouldn't all of that be listed in my records?"

Janet nodded. "It is, but I thought I'd check. Sam, those test results...According to the results, you're pregnant. About eight weeks along."

Sam stared at her, dumbfounded. "That can't be right. I mean, Janet... They can't be right! You have to run them again!"

"I did have them run them again. Three times in fact. I just got the third test back before you walked in. You're pregnant, Sam. Which explains the nausea, the dizzy spell you had yesterday..."

"But Janet! I haven't *done* anything to get pregnant! Hell, I can't even *remember* the last time I had sex!"

Janet inclined her head, and gave Sam a small smile. "Well, I'm glad. I was worried for a while you were keeping something from me." Sam gave Janet a sour look.

"This just isn't possible, Janet. Even if I had had sex, and for some reason I couldn't remember it - a thought I don't even *want* to contemplate - the Depronova should have kept me from getting pregnant. That's the whole point of that stuff, right?"

Janet sighed. "Yes, but Sam... I don't know," she admitted. "This is just as confusing for me." She put the file back on her desk and came around the other side to lean back on it, facing Sam. "Let's for the sake of argument, go over the last couple of months, alright? The missions you're been on, the social outings..."

Sam shifted uncomfortably in her chair. She sighed. "Alright..."

They spent the next two hours going over the last two months in detail, stopping only to seek out mission reports and diary entries. In the end they were no better off than they had been previously.

"This is no good, Janet. There's nothing I could have done, no situation I could have been in..."

Janet nodded. "Alright. Let's leave this for now. How about I take some more blood samples and we run the tests again, just to be on the safe side? I'll even send it to an independent lab, off-base." She looked at the clock. "Damn, it's already well after five, and it's Friday. I can take the blood now, but the results won't be back until Monday at the earliest. Is that okay?"

Sam nodded, and rolled up her sleeve. "I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

Sam spent the weekend on base - where Janet could keep an eye on her. She felt the whole situation was frustrating; she couldn't sit her lab without at least one of her friends coming to see how she was. Even General Hammond put in an appearance. When Jack came to see her late on Sunday afternoon, ostensibly to ask a question about a mission he was writing up, Sam finally lost her temper.

"Sir! With all due respect, I'm trying to test this equipment, and I can't concentrate with all of you constantly interrupting me! I feel perfectly well today, much better in fact, and I got plenty of sleep last night. Now, if you *don't* mind I'd like to get this finished today."

Jack looked taken aback for a brief moment. Then his expression became mask-like. "Of course, Major. I'd like a copy of that report as soon as you're done," he replied coldly and left, almost slamming the door behind him. Sam stared after him, her fury leaving just as suddenly as it had arrived. What had she done? Tears of frustration and self-recrimination welled up and spilled over. She wiped them away impatiently, but they just kept coming. She just didn't understand what was happening. Janet thought she was pregnant, but that just wasn't possible. But her breasts felt heavy and tender, and they pushed uncomfortably against her bra. And this morning it had been a struggle to zip up her pants. She felt constantly nauseas and tired. Just a whiff of the wrong thing made her dash to the bathroom. Then there were these mood swings - one moment she was happy, the next angry, then tearful. It was like she was losing all sense of self-control, and she hated it. She wiped the tears away and sniffed, hunting for a tissue. But she couldn't be pregnant, she just couldn't be. It wasn't possible. She sighed and turned back to her work. It had always been her solace before, and it would be now. But she had been working for more than ten minutes when there was a knock at the door. She threw her pen down in frustration.

"What now?" she cried as the door opened to reveal a rather surprised Janet.

"Excuse me, Major. I'll come back later." Janet turned to leave again.

Sam immediately felt guilty. "No, Janet, wait. I'm sorry. Come in."

"You sure?"

Sam nodded. "Please. I'm just having a bad day." Janet looked at Sam for a few moments, taking in the red eyes and the worn out expression.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

Sam nodded again. "Yeah," she said as Janet took a seat on the stool opposite. Janet looked doubtful.

"I thought you were off-duty today?" Sam said.

"I am, but I was going through your file, and I came across something interesting. In fact I'm kicking myself for not noticing it before."

Sam frowned. "What?"

"Well, it's strange. We take blood every time you come back through the Gate. Now, there are a number of hormones which should show up and change over time as the pregnancy progresses."

"Yeah, I know that," Sam interjected. "What about it?"

"Well, I've been wondering why I have noticed any of those hormones in your blood results before now. At two months along, I should have seen something long before now. But I haven't, Sam." Janet met Sam's gaze. "Because there wasn't anything to see."

Sam stared at her. "What are you saying, Janet?"

"Sam, the level of hormones in your blood in that first test we did suggested you were at least eight weeks pregnant. But there has been no trace of those hormones before that. I sent some of the blood I took on Friday to our lab as well as the commercial one. The results came back this afternoon. According to those results, you are almost *twelve* weeks along," she said, passing the piece of paper to Sam, who stared at it dumbfounded.

"*Twelve*? Janet, that's ridiculous!"

"When I saw that, I decided to go back through all your records, and that's when I came across this." She handed Sam another piece of paper. "That's the results of the test that we did after you came back from P6Y253."

Sam gasped. "According to this..."

"Yes, you were pregnant. Even though the hormone levels were low, I should have noticed it. I can't believe I missed it."

"But that would mean that this pregnancy has progressed two months in three weeks! That's impossible! Janet, this whole *thing's* impossible!"

"I know, Sam. I can't understand it. Look, what I want to do is wait until the other results come back tomorrow, then do more later this week. Is that alright?"

Sam sighed and nodded, handing back the results papers. Janet stood and reached over to squeeze her friend's hand. "We'll get to the bottom of this, Sam. I promise."

Sam ran a hand over her face in an unconscious imitation of Jack. "It's all just so unbelievable Janet. I haven't had sex in god knows how long, and now you're telling me that in the space of two weeks I'm suddenly three months pregnant? It just doesn't make sense!"

"I know, Sam. But I'm doing all I can to find out why."

Both women waited impatiently the next day for the results to come back from the other lab, and were dismayed to find they agreed with the ones they had received the previous day from the base's own lab. Then they waited another couple of days before Janet drew yet more blood to send back to both labs, and had them rushed through so the results were back the next day. They confirmed the pregnancy yet again, but this time they suggested Sam was almost fifteen weeks along. They were dumbfounded. Sam had found that week that her nausea was starting to subside a little, but she could no longer fit into any of her bras, and had had to go and purchase new ones. Her fatigue pants were extremely tight and uncomfortable, and she and Janet had had to find new ones for her. And they both knew that they were already passing the point where Sam could make a decision, and that very soon her condition would be noticeable to the rest of the team and General Hammond. But they were no closer to figuring out why or how Sam was pregnant, or why the pregnancy was progressing so fast.

They were sitting quietly in Janet's office late on Friday morning, having exhausted all logical possibilities. Janet had performed an ultrasound earlier that morning, and both women were in a state of semi-shock to see the baby Sam carried. It had finally hit home that she was really pregnant. And after seeing the baby on the monitor, Sam knew she had no choice but to see the pregnancy through to the end - whatever end that may be. They both knew what they needed to do next - inform General Hammond - but they couldn't bring themselves to do it just yet. They were interrupted from their musings by a knock at the door. Daniel ducked his head round it.

"Hi. I was wondering where you two had got to. We were going to have coffee this morning, remember?" He stopped, looking from one woman to the other, and stepped into the room. "What's wrong?" He asked.

Sam sighed, casting a quick look at Janet.

"Close the door and sit down, Daniel," Janet said. Daniel did as she bid, looking worried.

Janet turned her attention back to her friend. "Are you sure, Sam?"

Sam nodded. "He's going to find out eventually anyway," she sighed.

"Find out what? What is it?"

"I'm pregnant, Daniel," Sam answered softly, looking at her hands in her lap before raising her gaze to Daniel's incredulous one. He opened and closed his mouth several times, before being able to say, "Pregnant? Ah... How? When?"

Sam gave a wry laugh. Daniel gave her a perplexed look.

"So your being sick the last couple of weeks, that was because you're pregnant?" Janet and Sam both nodded.

"Ah... may I ask who?" he queried softly, looking from Sam to Janet and back again.

Sam shook her head. "I don't know who, or how, or why," she replied.

Daniel looked confused. "When's the baby due?" he asked.

"In about five and a half weeks," Janet answered. Sam and Daniel both stared at her.

"You didn't tell me that before..."

"Five and a half weeks? Isn't that a little soon? I mean I thought you said you just found out you were pregnant!"

Janet pushed the paper in front of her away. "That's what I've been working out, Sam. According to my calculations for every week of your pregnancy, the baby grows a month's worth."

Sam groaned and leaned back in her chair, covering her face with her hands. "I can't believe this is happening," she said softly.

"Uh, what?" Daniel asked.

"Sam is pregnant. We don't know how or why, or who. It's progressing abnormally fast, one week for every month of normal pregnancy from what I can make out."

Daniel looked from one to the other. "Does the General know about this? Or Jack?" Janet shook her head.

"No not yet. We have a meeting with General Hammond this afternoon."

Sam suddenly sat up again and stared at Janet. "P6Y253! It didn't happen before then! It happened while I was there!"

"What?"

"I still don't know how, but... Janet you said that you noticed nothing before I left on that mission, but when I came back, I was pregnant, right? So it must have happened there!"

Janet and Daniel stared at her. "But Sam," Daniel started, "We only spent 36 hours on that planet and you weren't out of our sight for a moment. Except for when Bralla had you and Jack..." He broke of suddenly staring at Sam.

Sam gasped, jumping up in her excitement. "Bralla! She did something! She must have! But how?"

"What makes you think it was Bralla?" Janet asked.

"Remember she said I was 'out of balance'? Maybe this was her idea of correcting it?" Sam suggested, pacing the floor.

"By having you get pregnant?" Janet asked doubtfully.

"But how did she do it?" Daniel asked. "Surely there had to be... someone else... involved?" Daniel blushed slightly. Then his eyes widened.

"Oh dear," he said softly.

"Oh," Janet agreed as the same thought occurred to her as well.

She stopped as she noticed Janet and Daniel staring at her with looks that were a strange mix between amusement and dread. "What?"

"You don't see it do you?" Daniel asked.

"See what?"

"Sam," Daniel said gently, "the only time you were in a situation where you could have become pregnant was when you were in that bedroom overnight with Jack."

Sam stared at him, unable to believe what he was saying. "*What?* Are you saying that... That *Colonel O'Neill* and I...? No! That's not possible! Daniel, we were both out cold for goodness sake! And Bralla was there the entire time! We couldn't have..." She stopped, slowly sitting down. "Could we?"

"It's the only thing that makes sense, Sam," Janet agreed. Sam shook her head.

Sam shook her head stubbornly. "No. It's not possible! I would have known! Remembered something, surely! And besides, Bralla was there the entire time we were asleep."

"Sam, I hate to say this, but I don't think that really makes a difference. And maybe she needed to be there..." Janet suggested.

"You seriously think I'm having Jack's baby?"

"Sam, at the moment it's the only explanation I can think of..."

Sam stared at Janet. "Oh my god," she said softly. "Oh my god..." She looked down at her swelling abdomen, gently running her hand across it. She closed her eyes briefly.

"No," she said forcefully. I don't believe it. That's just not possible. He did *not* have anything to do with this." She looked sternly at the other two. "And I don't want him to hear how you think I got pregnant, you hear? This is bad enough as it is."

Daniel opened his mouth to protest, but was silenced by a look from Janet. They watched as Sam stood. "I have some work to do."

"I'll stop by your lab before we go and see the General, okay?"

"Yes," Sam agreed. And with that, she left.

Sam sat quietly in her lab, her work discarded on the bench before her. She ran her hand speculatively over her stomach. She was pregnant. She still couldn't believe it. She had never thought she would be. Her life had been so dedicated to her career and the military she had never been able to see a time where she would be able to have children. And now she was. Through no conscious choice of her own, of course, but... She sighed. There were so many conflicting thoughts and emotions running through her head at the moment, but the one overriding on was, 'I'm pregnant!' She was so deep in her thoughts she didn't even hear Jack approach.

Jack stood behind her for a few moments, watching as she gently ran her hand back and forth across her abdomen. He frowned.

"Major?" he asked. Sam jumped. Jack thought she looked guilty about something.

"Colonel! Sir! Sorry, I uh... I didn't hear you come in," she quickly apologized, standing up and pulling her shirt down firmly.

"Yeah, I noticed that," he commented. "You want to tell me what's going on, Carter?"

"Sir?"

"Oh come on, Carter. I may be blind sometimes, but I'm not stupid. Something's wrong. You haven't been yourself lately. I'm getting worried."

Sam sat down slowly. "You're worried?" she asked.

"Yeah. Any time I come into your lab and you're sitting here doing nothing is cause for worry, I think." He pulled up a stool to sit across from her, watching as her face betrayed her conflicting thoughts. She was debating whether to take him seriously and tell him, he was sure.

"I..." she started hesitantly. "God, how do I tell you this..."

He raised an eyebrow. Sam swallowed, obviously wishing she was anywhere but there.

"I'm pregnant, sir," she announced softly, unable to meet his eyes.

"*Excuse* me, Major?" Jack gasped. He felt like his worst fears had been realized. She *was* seeing someone, and now she was going to have the jerk's kid! He stood angrily and reacted the only way he knew how - hurtfully. "I thought you had more sense that to go out and get yourself knocked up!"

Sam stared at him, her own anger rising. "It wasn't intentional, sir..." she started. Why was he getting so angry with her? She had known he wouldn't be happy, but she thought he might at least be a little supportive. He had no right to judge her. She had never judged him.

"I thought you would have been a little more careful than that, Major. For someone who's supposedly so intelligent, this is incredibly stupid!"

The sound of Sam's hand connecting with Jack's cheek rang through the lab. They both stood staring at each other, chests heaving angrily. Then Jack turned on his heal and left. Sam sank slowly down onto her stool, unable to believe what had happened. She put her head in her hands. Oh dear lord, she'd slapped her CO. She'd slapped Jack. She groaned. Could things possibly get any worse? Tears slowly slipped down her cheeks. She felt as though her entire world was falling apart.

"Sam? Are you alright? What just happened?" Sam looked up at Janet and wiped away her tears.

"I just told Colonel O'Neill," she said softly.

"Oh," Janet replied. "It didn't go well?" Sam shook her head, and started to cry again.

"Oh, Janet, what am I going to do? I don't know how this happened! I'm not prepared to have children, I never even thought I'd ever have any, and now... I'm not sure how to handle all this!" She was quiet for a few moments. "You don't really think the Colonel's the father, do you Janet?" she asked so softly Janet barely heard her.

"Sam, I really don't know what to think." Janet hesitated before saying, "I could run a DNA check on the baby if you want."

"No!" Sam responded sharply. "No. I don't believe it's his, okay? It *can't* be. It isn't possible." Janet shook her head slightly at Sam's denial of the situation. She put an arm around Sam's shaking shoulders. "We'll figure all this out, Sam, I promise. But right now we need to go and tell the General what's going on. Alright?"

Sam wiped the tears away, and blew her nose. "I look awful, don't I?" she asked, running a hand through her mussed hair.

"Moderately awful, yes," Janet replied with a smile. "You ready?"

"As I'll ever be. Let's go."

Janet knocked cautiously on General Hammond's door. At his call she and Sam entered. Sam stiffened slightly when she noticed Jack was there.

"Good afternoon, Doctor, Major," Hammond greeted, indication for them to sit. "I hope you don't mind if Colonel O'Neill joins us?"

'Yes, sir, I damn well do mind!' Sam thought angrily. What was he doing here anyway?

Hammond looked from one woman to the other. "The Colonel and I were just having an interesting discussion, more than likely concerning what you've come here to tell me." He looked pointedly at Sam. "Is there something you wish to tell me, Major?"

Sam resisted the impulse to glare at Jack. How dare he? It was none of his business to come and tell the General! So what if he was her commanding officer? He had no right! She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. Getting angry with the Colonel wasn't going to help her through this conversation. Janet gave her a quick, supportive smile.

"Sir, I have to inform you that I am pregnant."

General Hammond nodded, unsurprised. He did know. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Janet glare at Jack. "I see. Congratulations, Major. I'm sure you and the father are very happy. When is the baby due? How long do we still have you for?" Hammond pointedly ignored Jack's glowering face.

"Uh, that's the other thing we needed to talk to you about, sir," Janet interrupted.

"Yes, Doctor?"

"Well, the pregnancy is a little usual sir. It's progressing a lot faster than normal."

"Faster than normal? Why? How?"

"We don't know, sir. As far as I can tell at this stage, for every week of the Major's pregnancy, the foetus grows a month's worth."

"So how far along are you now, Major?" the General asked.

"According to the Doctor, the equivalent of four months," Sam said quietly.

Hammond stared at her. "And when do you estimate you got pregnant, Major?"

"We think it was about four weeks ago, sir." Sam could feel Jack staring at her, but she couldn't bring herself to look at him, especially after what he had said earlier. She kept her gaze on Hammond, who was obviously going over what they had told him.

"Do you have any explanation for this?"

"Sir, we have reason to believe something occurred on P6Y253 four weeks ago. As you know, Major Carter was 'healed' on that planet by one of the local people. We think she may have had something to do with the current situation."

"Situation?" Jack spluttered. Hammond glared at him. "I'm sorry, sir, but..."

"Colonel," Hammond warned, giving Jack a clear 'keep your mouth shut' look. He turned back to Janet and Sam. "Well, how is the Major, Doctor, if you don't mind me asking, Major Carter," Hammond said. Sam shook her head.

"She's fine, sir. The pregnancy is progressing normally, despite its acceleration."

Sam finally spoke up, and turned to General Hammond. "Sir, permission to return to P6Y253."

"I'm sorry, Major, and with all due respect, General, but I do not think that's a good idea."

"What? Why? I think talking to Bralla's a very good idea!" Sam started.

"But we don't know what's causing the accelerated pregnancy, we don't know what the effects of Gate travel would be on you or the foetus, and until we do, I don't recommend that you Gate anywhere, Major. Not to mention the fact we don't know how you became pregnant in the first place..."

"But Bralla may hold all the answers," Sam persisted, looking angrily at Janet now.

"I do not recommend it, sirs. We don't know what may be present on that planet, or how it may affect Sam or the child she carries. I don't want to risk it, especially in these unusual circumstances."

"But the only way I'll know is to go back there!"

"I'm afraid I agree with the Doctor, Major. I don't want any of you returning to that planet until we're sure it is safe. I don't want to risk any more of you. And I want each of you to go back over your reports from P6Y253 in case there's anything you've left out."

"Like how I got pregnant, sir?" Sam snapped.

"Major," Hammond warned.

"Sorry, sir."

Hammond sighed. "That's alright, Major. I understand. And there is something else you have overlooked in your haste to get back to 253. The Gate is off-line at the moment at your request. According to the report your team presented to me this morning, it won't be back up and running for at least another three days."

Sam sat back in her chair and stifled a groan. She *had* forgotten about that. And three days was optimistic. It was more likely to be four at the rate they were going. One of the computers had shut itself down just before lunch and they were still trying to fix it. Great, another week wasted.

"Sir? Permission to return to work? I want to get that new software up and running as soon as possible."

"Of course, Major, if there's nothing more any of you have to add?"

The other three shook their heads. "Fine. Keep me updated on the progress, Major. The sooner we get back to 253 for answers, the better."

"Yes, sir," Sam agreed.

Jack was looking for Sam. He'd been feeling guilty about what he'd said in her lab - and rightfully so. What he'd said had been almost unforgivable. It wouldn't surprise him if she refused to speak to him at all. Instead of being the friend she needed right now, he'd acted like a jealous jerk. But just the thought of anyone else touching her...

'Stop it, Jack! You have no right to think of her that way! She's your 2IC, a good friend, and that's all she ever will or can be. Remember that,' he admonished to himself.

He finally found her back in her lab, going through some papers. He knocked quietly on her door. She looked up, startled.

"Sir?"

Jack took a deep breath. Apologies weren't easy for him. "Carter, I... About earlier. What I said. I was outta line. I'm sorry."

Sam stared at him for a few moments, desperately trying to stay angry with him, but as usual, his eyes undid her.

"Yes, sir," she sighed. "And I'm sorry. I hit you. That was wrong of me."

Jack shook his head. "No, I deserved that. In fact I think you were restrained," he smiled hopefully. She smiled back. He was impossible to stay angry with for long, damn him.

"Well, I'd better get to work, sir," she said, indicating the papers.

"Yeah, sure," Jack said. He left, feeling an immense feeling of relief. She had forgiven him - again.

SG-2 led by Ferretti and SG-1 minus Sam stood in the Gateroom as the Gate was dialled for P6Y253. Jack looked up at Sam who was standing in the control room watching. Her figure was changing noticeably, becoming rounder and fuller with each passing day. He had so many conflicting emotions passing through him as he watched her go to the stairs to meet them, that he didn't know where one ended and another began. He sighed inwardly. Right now he had to concentrate on finding out just who - or what - had done this to her. He gave Sam a small smile as she appeared in the doorway, moving toward them with a gait that said she was having difficulty getting used to a body that suddenly appeared to be almost five months pregnant. Not that he blamed her. All things considered she was in a very good mood.

"We'll find out what happened, Sam, I promise," Daniel told her reassuringly. She nodded.

"Just be careful," she advised.

"We will," Jack replied. "Ok, let's move out," he ordered, waving the others up the ramp. He glanced back briefly to see Sam gently run a hand over her swollen abdomen. An indescribable feeling ran through him at the sight, almost like... He stepped through the wormhole and out into the brilliant sunshine of P6Y253, his train of thought forgotten in his haste to assess for any threats.

"Does it ever rain here?" he asked no one in particular. "Alright, let's go and find Bralla."

The two teams made their way down the road to the village, making very good time. They were met at the outskirts by Wyan and a few others. Wyan smiled as Daniel, Jack and Teal'c approached.

"Hello my friends. We did not expect to see you back quite so soon!"

"It's not a social visit, Wyan. Where's Bralla?" Jack asked without preamble.

"She is not here. She is visiting a village about a sevennight's journey from here. We do not expect her back for some time. Is there a problem?"

"Yeah, there's a problem. Major Carter is pregnant, and we want to know how it happened."

"Uh... Jack?" Daniel started, a warning evident in his voice. Jack tried his best to reign in his temper. He should probably let Daniel handle this. He was better at being diplomatic.

"I do not understand," Wyan said perplexed. He looked at each of SG-1 in turn.

"What Jack means is, we traced Sam's pregnancy to the time she spent here. She doesn't remember how it occurred, and we wanted to speak with Bralla about it," Daniel explained, stepping in front of Jack to take control of the situation.

"Ah, yes. Bralla told me that she had helped your Sam. That she had corrected something within her that was not quite right. And that she had Sam have something she did not think she would experience."

"You're saying Bralla did it? How?"

"Bralla does not tell me her ways. I'm afraid that is all she told me. Is there something wrong?"

"Yeah, there's something wrong!" Jack flared. "I want to know how my second in command returned home pregnant, and why she remembers nothing about it!"

Realisation dawned in Wyan's eyes. "You think someone here was responsible?"

"Well, all the evidence seems to point in your direction," Jack replied, stepping forward threateningly.

Wyan glared at him. "Nothing happened here. If you are looking for a culprit you should look at yourselves first. You were the only ones in your residence that night. For the rest of your time here Sam was always in your company," he said in an accusatory and defensive voice.

Daniel stood in front of Jack again and Teal'c took a good hold of his arm.

"There is nothing you can tell us then?" Daniel asked.

"No there is not. I will ask Bralla when she returns, but she will not be back now for some time." Wyan glared at Jack once more.

Daniel nodded, and turned back to Jack and Teal'c. "Come on, let's go. This isn't getting us anywhere. We can stand here and make accusations at each other all day, but it isn't going to help Sam."

Jack shook off Teal'c's grip, and shooting once last threatening look at Wyan, nodded to Ferretti that they had finished and to head back to the Gate. They turned and left.

They met Sam, Janet and General Hammond in the Briefing Room to explain what had happened. Jack took his usual seat next to Sam, with the others spread out around the table.

"So they were unable to help?" Hammond asked.

Daniel shook his head. "They didn't know any more that we did, I don't think. The person we really need to talk with is Bralla, I think. And she won't be back for several weeks apparently."

"The child will be born by then," Janet observed.

Sam leaned back and closed her eyes, letting the conversation drift over her. She was tired, and the nausea was back with a vengeance. 'Morning sickness' was definitely a misnomer, and whoever said it only occurred during the first trimester was and out and out liar. She felt awful. Suddenly she sat bolt upright and gasped.

"What is it?" Janet asked quickly, starting to get up.

"It moved!" Sam cried. "Here, feel it!" She grabbed Jack's hand and placed it on her stomach. "Feel that? Just there." Jack nodded, his eyes wide. The others smiled.

"There is another thing which I wish to discuss with you, Major," the General started. "It won't be long before word reaches certain people regarding your condition, and our suppositions about how it came about. I don't think I need to say who or what that could mean."

Sam sobered. "Yes, sir."

"Now, what I want to suggest is that you remain on-base for the duration of your pregnancy, and for a small period afterward, until we can assess any potential risk. I don't think they'd actually try anything, but I'd rather be safe than sorry."

Sam nodded. Jack gave her hand, which he still held on her stomach a small squeeze. "We won't let anything happen to you, or the baby," he reassured her.

"Indeed we won't," Hammond agreed.

Daniel knocked hesitantly on Janet's door. She smiled warmly at him and invited him to sit down.

"What can I do for you, Dr. Jackson?" she teased.

"Actually, it's about Sam. How's she doing?"

"She's fine, Daniel, really," Janet reassured him. Then she sighed, and got up and closed the door. "What I tell you goes no further, you hear me? And it by no means breaks the doctor-patient privilege, because I'm talking to a friend about a friend, okay?"

Daniel nodded. "She still in denial about it being Jack's isn't she?"

Janet nodded, resuming her seat. "I don't know what to do any more. She won't hear a word on the subject. She just doesn't want to know. But it's the only logical explanation I can think of, other than an immaculate conception."

Daniel gave a half-smile. "Despite Bralla's obvious talents, I don't think they run that far. There is another possible explanation, but Wyan was adamant it wasn't one of his people, and Teal'c swears no one else entered the cottage that night. And it would take a lot of effort to get past Teal'c."

Janet nodded again. "But you said these people had certain abilities. Couldn't they have put Teal'c to sleep?"

"Why? What would be the point? No, I think you're right. Jack is the most logical explanation. But that still doesn't explain how it happened. Neither Sam nor Jack are the type to suddenly throw themselves at each other. They won't even admit they care about each other, for god's sake!"

Janet smiled. "You're right. So we still need to talk to Bralla," she said. "What does Jack say about all this? Does he have any idea about our suspicions?"

"Jack doesn't have a clue. I have really no idea what he thinks about all this, he hasn't talked to me at all. Not that I really expect him to either. Jack's not exactly the talkative type."

"What are we going to do then?"

"I don't know, Janet. I really don't think there's much we can do. Sam won't admit it as a possibility, and we can't mention it to Jack for the same reason. And even if she did admit it, and told him, there's the regulations to contend with," Daniel reminded Janet. "Can you imagine the General's reaction if he found out it was Jack's? They'd be court-martialed for sure. And I don't think the 'it wasn't really me, I was under the influence of an alien' defence would really wash, do you?"

"Oh god, what a mess," Janet said softly, putting her head in her hands.

The next couple of weeks slid by in a blur of growing discomfort for Sam. Her body grew and changed at an alarming rate, and the nausea continued, despite Janet's best efforts. She felt huge and awkward, and she started to wake at night with cramps plaguing her lower legs. Janet had urged her to watch her diet, especially her blood sugar levels. She had the cravings now too. Normal sounding things like pickles and cream cheese on pumpernickel, and weird stuff like tuna with mayo, peanut butter and chocolate sauce. Her friends had looked decidedly green watching her eat that sandwich, she thought with a smile. They had all been so sweet, if a little over protective, running after her every wish and whim. It had been endearing at first, but now it was starting to get old. She swore if one of them came in again and asked her if there was anything she needed, she scream. Help she didn't mind, but all this coddling was starting to drive her nuts.

She sighed and stood, needing to visit the bathroom yet again. Janet said it was normal at seven months, which was how far along they thought she was. She had had several ultrasounds, and Janet had offered to tell her the sex of the baby, but she had decided not to know. This whole thing had been a surprise, so why not that as well? Sam waddled down the corridor, her need for the bathroom increasing with each step. Finally she reached her destination and she struggled with her maternity overalls. She had lost track how much money she had spent on new clothes, let alone things for the baby. Finished, Sam left the bathroom, and headed back to her lab. The weirdest thing was knowing that there was something growing inside her. One moment the thought scared her more than Apophis or So'kar ever did, the next she was almost crying for joy. These damn mood swings were hell too. As if knowing its mother was thinking about it, the baby gave Sam a good sharp kick, and she gasped, clutching at her belly.

"Carter! Are you alright?" a familiar male voice asked. Great, the Colonel, she thought irritably. His coddling had been the worst. Somehow his running around after her didn't seem right; it was as though it defied nature. It was normally the other way around.

"Everything's fine, sir," she assured him. "The kid's just a bit active today, that's all."

"You sure?"

"Yes, sir!" she replied, irritated now. "I wish you all would stop being so protective! I am quite capable of looking after myself. All this attention is starting to get ridiculous!"

"Sorry, Carter. It won't happen again," he said coldly and practically stormed off down the corridor. It took about five seconds for Sam to regret what she had said. Why was he like that? He completely confused her. Sometimes he could be so sincere, concerned and caring, others he could be a complete and utter jerk, cold and demanding. She never knew which it would be from one moment to the next. Just when she thought he actually *did* care about her, he would turn around and say something callous. Once, just once, she would like him to treat her truly as a friend, not his subordinate. 'Just as a friend?' a small voice inside her asked. Yes, as a friend! There was nothing else between them, and there never could be! And he'll never see you that way, Sam, so stop it!

"Dammit!" she muttered. She hated the way he seemed to have a hold over her emotions. He seemed to be able to make her elated or depressed with just one word or look. Sam suddenly realised she was crying again. She hated this emotional overload. 'Damn hormones,' she thought kicking the wall in frustration.

The baby kicked her back and she laughed in spite of herself. "You're gonna be a real fighter, aren't you?" she asked, running a hand over her stomach. With a sigh of resignation, Sam headed back to her lab.

Jack woke with a start. Another dream. It wasn't like he hadn't had illicit dreams about Sam before, but lately they had become more real, as though... He shook himself. A cold shower was what he needed, he thought, heading to the bathroom. He turned on the shower to full cold and stood beneath it, gasping. He had to get over this; it was starting get ridiculous. Every time he looked at Sam now, all he could think of were these rather graphic dreams. That - coupled with a nagging suspicion he was missing something - was making him rather irritable. Yesterday he had snapped at Sam in the hallway for no reason - all she had wanted was to be treated normally and he had lost it. The only thing he'd been able to think about when watching her, was how that baby had came to be there. He froze, an image in his dream coming back to him. No, that was absurd, stupid! He shook his head. He was truly going mad. But what if... No. He wouldn't even entertain the idea; it was too dangerous. Sam was his second in command, his friend [well most of the time, when he wasn't being a complete jerk], and even if she wasn't, what on earth would she see in him? He was ten years older than her, a cynical, sarcastic grump at the best of times, and a sarcastic asshole at the worst. She was beautiful, incredibly intelligent; she could have any man she wanted. 'Yeah, like Martouf,' a little voice said. He squashed that thought angrily. Why on earth would she ever choose him, if she had the choice?

He stepped out of the shower and got dressed, trying to stifle the thoughts of Sam that kept intruding. He decided a couple of hours in the gym might be a good idea. Followed by several hours of paperwork. Anything to get these images of Sam out of his head.

Two days after the encounter with Jack in the corridor, Sam sat on the couch in the recreation room, reading. Daniel, Teal'c, Jack, and Janet were involved in a serious game of poker, but she'd bailed out early on, choosing to read instead. Well, it wasn't a choice exactly, more of a necessity. The pressure the baby was putting on her bladder at the moment was causing her to need to the bathroom regularly - too regularly for the poker enthusiasts at the table. Her constantly leaving was upsetting their concentration, and her own, so she'd pulled out and curled up on the sofa with a light novel which wasn't really holding her attention. Bored, she looked around the room, trying to trace what she wanted. Teal'c said something and her attention wandered to him, and it came to her.

Jaffas.

That was it. She wanted Jaffas. She smiled at the memory of her first acquaintance with the sweet. She had been in New Zealand, on the way back from that unplanned trip to Antarctica. They had stopped at the Royal New Zealand Air Force Base at Whenuapai, near Auckland, for refueling, and since they were going to be there for some time, Janet had given her tentative permission for Sam to go and stretch her legs. She had wandered into the small shop on the base, and looked at the magazines and newspapers briefly, picking a couple up and heading to the counter with them. And that had been where she had seen them. Or rather, they had leapt out at her from the rows of sweets next to the counter. They were in small rectangular orange boxes, and emblazoned in purple across the front was the word 'Jaffas'. Never had that old saying 'you could have knocked me over with a feather' been more true. Curious, she had picked up a box.

"You a Jaffa fan too?" A voice at her shoulder asked. Sam had turned to find a young female New Zealand Air Force officer standing beside her.

"Actually, I've never had them," Sam admitted. "What did you call them?"

"Jaffas," she replied, putting the stress on the first syllable, and shortening the 'a' at the end. "They're wonderful," the officer added, "You have to try them! Smooth orange sugar coating on the outside, and creamy chocolate in the middle. Absolutely divine!"

Sam was intrigued. "Thank you. I think I will!" she smiled at the officer, picked up a couple more boxes and continued towards the counter. As she had left, the officer had smiled wickedly at her and said, "A word of advice about the Jaffas, from an old Jaffa pro - suck first, then when they've gone almost totally soft, bite. There's really no other way to eat them."

Sam had been completely lost for words, barely able to say thank you before leaving the shop and collapsing in a fit of hysterical giggles at a safe distance. It had really been the release she'd needed after the last couple of weeks in Antarctica. Janet had shrieked with laughter when Sam had shown her the sweet, and they'd soon found that the young officer had been right. It *was* better to suck them first, then bite.

Sam smiled in recollection. Yes, Jaffas were what she craved. But how to get hold of them?

"Hey! What's that grin for, Major?" Jack called.

"I was just thinking, sir," she replied, shifting on the couch to face him and the others at the table. "I could really do with some Jaffas right now," she explained. They looked blankly at her.

"Jaffas?" Daniel asked.

"Yeah, Jaffas. J. A. F. F. A. S." she said, spelling it out for them, and enjoying the dawning of realization across their faces as they worked out what she had spelled. She grinned as the men looked at her as though she was completely nuts. Janet laughed.

"You want *Jaffas*?" Jack asked, incredulous, accenting the second syllable and the long 'a'.

Janet shrieked with laughter. "No, she wants *Jaffas*" Janet explained, pronouncing the name correctly. The men looked blankly at her. "They're a sweet. From New Zealand, weren't they Sam?" Sam nodded, laughter lighting her blue eyes, her discomfort momentarily forgotten.

"You want a sweet from *New Zealand* called *Jaffas*?" Jack asked in disbelief.

"Actually, sir, it's just Jaffa. Jaffas is plural. And yes, I do. I don't suppose you could get hold of some for me?" she asked, turning her full blue eyed gaze on her CO. Jack stared at her.

"From New Zealand?" he repeated.

"Yes, sir. I'd be really grateful."

Jack had stared at her for a few moments. "I don't suppose you can get them at the seven-eleven?"

Sam shook her head. "Please, sir. They're just what I need right now. And you know how you should humor a pregnant woman."

Jack stood up. "I can't believe I'm doing this," he muttered before leaving the room. Janet giggled and looked at Sam. "Suck first," she reminded Sam, which set them both off into a fit of laughter. Daniel and Teal'c looked at each other.

"I think that's our cue to leave, Teal'c," Daniel said.

"Yes," Teal'c replied, eyeing the giggling women suspiciously. Janet and Sam giggled as they watched the men leave, the poker game forgotten.

Still grinning, Janet turned back to Sam. "I'm glad you seem to be happier today."

Sam sobered a little. "Yeah. I'm fine as long as I don't think about things too much." She shifted uncomfortably on the couch, trying to find a better position.

"I'm here if you want to talk, Sam, you know that."

Sam nodded. "I know, and thank you, Janet. This little one has been keeping me awake most nights. I never knew just how much unborn babies kicked! When I want to sleep the baby's awake, when I'm awake the baby's asleep - well most of the time. Sometimes I swear there's a whole team in there, not just one!" Sam ran a hand over her swollen belly and sighed. "And I think another part of it is being cooped up inside the base these last few weeks. It's never bothered me before, but now I'd love just to be able to sit in the fresh air, instead of hiding out down here. It's all making me a little irritable."

"I understand. Being stuck down here with just those men for company would make me lose my temper too." Janet looked closely at her friend, who was once again lost in thought. "Are you sure that's all it is?" She saw tears fill Sam's eyes, and moved to sit next to her.

"Sam? What is it?"

"I just don't think I can do this, Janet!" Sam said shakily, trying desperately to get a handle on her rapidly changing emotions. One moment she was happy, the next she was in tears. She had never felt so out of control before, and she didn't like it.

"Sam, we're all here for you, you know that. All you have to do is ask, and we'll help anywhere we can."

Tears were cascading down her cheeks now, and Sam was unable to stop them. "But I'm not prepared for this, Janet! How am I going to cope with a baby? I never expected to be a single mother. I always imagined a happy home. You know - husband, house, dog..."

"And a white picket fence?" Janet teased gently. Sam gave her a small wry smile.

"Yeah. Silly, isn't it?" she sniffed.

"No, I'm sure deep down, we all have that dream."

"There are just so many thoughts going round and round in my head at the moment, Janet. I don't know what to do with them! What am I going to do about my job? There aren't exactly any childcare facilities here - the SGC isn't the most progressive of organizations. I don't want to give up my work, but I can't see any other way around it. General Hammond will never allow me to bring the baby on base. And as for me going on any more missions..." She wiped at her eyes. "I'm sure that'll never happen now."

"Why shouldn't it, Sam? There are plenty of men here who have children who are in field units."

"Yes, but they have wives to look after their kids. Who would look after mine if I'm gone?"

"I know, I often worry about Cassie the same way. But you have your brother Mark, don't you? And I'm sure the lady who looks after Cassie for me won't mind looking after your baby as well. These things can be worked out, Sam. Don't worry, alright?" Sam found a tissue and blew her nose.

"That's easier said than done."

"I know," Janet said, putting her arms around Sam and hugging her.

"I'm just scared I won't do a good job of being a mother, Janet. What if I make the same mistakes my father made?"

"You won't. And I'm sure your Dad won't let you either," Janet smiled. "I have every confidence in you, Sam. You should too."

Sam nodded. "I'm sorry for putting this all on you Janet," she apologized.

"Why? Didn't I regale you with my worries over Cassie? That's what friends are for, Sam, you know that. Now, wipe away those tears, and let's go find something to eat. I'm afraid I don't have any jaffas, but I'm sure I'll be able to rustle up a decent tuna and peanut butter sandwich for you," Janet teased. Sam grinned.

"Oh, I'm off those now. It's turkey with cranberry jelly and cheese wizz at the moment."

They both laughed.

"And who knows, we may be able to sneak you up to the surface too. We beat Hathor together, I'm sure we can convince a few security guards no to see us," Janet winked. "We just need to get a small team together."

Sam was all smiles again as she managed to get herself up off the couch with Janet's help. "A small commando force, you mean?"

"That's the one! Now, let's round up some troops and head to the mess hall to plan your escape!" Janet laughed as they headed down the corridor, arm in arm to find some likely allies.

A few days later Jack came and knocked on the door of Sam's lab. She looked up and smiled. "Hi, sir. What can I do for you?" Jack smiled and placed a parcel on her desk.

"What..." she started, reaching for the package in obvious curiosity.

"Let's just say the General called in a favor from a friend in New Zealand," he explained, watching the way her eyes lit up, and she began to tear at the package. Finally getting it open, she found it was filled to the brim with at least a dozen packets of Jaffas.

"Oh, thank you sir!" she said, her eyes brimming with tears at the thoughtful gesture.

Jack grinned. "Hey, what are the tears for?"

Sam sniffed. "I don't know, sir. Sorry, I just can't seem to help it. It's just so thoughtful. I didn't think you'd actually get them..." Sam sniffed again and wiped her eyes on her sleeve, giving Jack a wry smile. "Sorry," she repeated. "Hormones, probably."

Jack nodded. Without thinking he reached out to cup her cheek and brushing a stray tear away. His touch burned through Sam's skin and she blushed. Jack removed his hand and shifted uncomfortably, his attention coming to rest on the Jaffas with relief. "So do I get to try one?" Sam nodded, opening a packet, and pouring several of the small round red sweets into the Colonel's waiting hand. "Suck first, sir," she advised. Jack raised an eyebrow as he put one in his mouth, but he did as she suggested. "Hmmm... Not bad," he announced. Sam just grinned at him as she put one in her mouth. Her face lit up with bliss, and he grinned back.

"That's wonderful," she sighed happily. "Now if only I could do something about my back," she added, grimacing as she shifted on her stool.

"Well, sitting like that probably doesn't help," he observed. Sam grunted. He shifted his stool behind hers.

"May I?" he asked.

Sam frowned. "May you what?"

"Sara used to swear by the backrubs I used to give her..." his voice trailed off. What on earth was he thinking, playing with fire like this?

"Please," Sam said, shifting on her stool to give him better access. "It's killing me."

Jack hesitantly placed his fist in the small her back, rubbing firmly. Sam moaned with pleasure. Jack slipped his free hand around in front, across Sam's stomach, for better leverage. Her head fell back against his shoulder, her eyes closed. Slowly he worked his hand up and down her spine, finding and relieving the pressure. Then he felt it - the sudden sharp ripple across her abdomen, echoed by Sam's gasp. She sat up, letting out a long slow breath.

"Is that the first one you've had?" Jack asked. Sam shook her head.

"I've been getting cramps the last couple of days. I didn't think these were any different."

"Let's get you to Janet," he suggested, helping her up. They were halfway across the room when Sam gasped again.

"I think my water just broke," she finally managed. They both looked down.

"Yup," Jack agreed. They slowly made their way down to the infirmary, hampered by Sam's bulk and her now soaked overalls.

"Maybe I'll get lucky and the labor won't last as long as a normal pregnancy either," Sam muttered as they stepped into the elevator.

"You can hope," Jack said dryly as the elevator opened on the infirmary level and he guided Sam out. Sam gasped again, clutching at her belly.

"Dammit," she muttered.

"That was about five minutes," Jack said. Sam glared at him. "I was just keeping track. Doc will ask you know," he explained, helping her towards the infirmary. Janet looked up from a chart she was explaining to a nurse as they came in.

"Sam! We weren't expecting this for at least another three days!"

"I think the baby had other ideas," Sam replied, maneuvering herself onto one of the beds. "My water broke, so I think I'm officially in labor."

"Not necessarily," Janet said. "Lie back, I need to check how far along you are." Sam did as she bid.

"Uh, Colonel?" Janet said, gesturing for him to leave.

"Oh, yeah. Right." He left to give Sam some privacy.

"Well?" Sam asked as Janet straightened.

"About three centimeters. It'll be a little while yet. The best thing you can do at the moment is to have a walk around the room. I'll get the Colonel. He can keep you company," Janet winked. Sam glared at her.

She and Jack spent the next hour or so pacing around the room, even venturing out into the corridor for a bit of variety. Janet came back to check on Sam's progress. She sighed.

"Sorry Sam, but your still only at about five centimeters."

"Dammit!" Sam gasped as another contraction hit her. She had decided to go without an epidural - a decision she was rapidly beginning to regret. But at the time she had been more worried about the effect it may have on the baby, especially given the unusual nature of the pregnancy. "I wish it would hurry up and get it over with."

The next few hours progressed slowly for Sam. Slowly her cervix became more dilated and her contractions more close together, and her temper more and more frayed. She had spent some time just walking around the infirmary, mostly in Jack's company, then Daniel's, and then finally Janet's as she lost her temper with the two men and sent them from the room. Jack, who had been through this before, went without a word, which only served to irritate Sam further.

"Oh god!" Sam gasped as a particularly painful contraction hit her. "I want to push, Janet! And I want to do it now!" she cried, almost sinking to the floor. Janet struggled to keep her upright and waved a nurse over to help her get Sam to the bed.

"Don't push, Sam, you hear me? Not yet. Concentrate on your breathing for me, okay? That's it," she said as Sam tried to do as Janet told her, and not give in to the overwhelming instinct to push. "Ok, you're at ten centimeters now, Sam. On the next contraction I want you to bear down for me, alright?"

Sam nodded, her concentration on her breathing. At the next contraction, Sam pushed for all she was worth.

Sam leaned back on the bed, fighting exhaustion and breathing hard. Sweat dripped off her, running down her forehead and into her eyes, soaking her hair. It seemed like she had been at this for hours. And she had. It had been well over two hours since Janet had first told her she could push and almost fourteen since she had come into the infirmary with Jack. She briefly wondered where he was before the next contraction hit her and she was pushing again.

"That's it, Sam, we're almost there now."

"You keep saying that!" Sam gasped. Then she gave a loud cry, falling back again as it the contraction eased.

"I mean it, now, I can see the head. Push as hard as you can on the next one, alright?"

"I can't, Janet, really. I'm tired. I can't do this any more," Sam sobbed.

Janet's head came up and she fixed Sam with a hard stare. "You will push on my command, Major. Is that clear?" she ordered. Janet thought she had to get Sam focused.

"You're not my CO, Janet! You can't give me orders!"

Janet smiled. That had got her attention. "This is my infirmary, Major. I can. Or do I have to get Colonel O'Neill in here?"

Sam's answer was lost in her cry at the pain of the next contraction.

"Push Sam!"

Sam pushed as hard as she could. Suddenly she felt movement between her legs.

"I have the head!" Janet cried triumphantly. "Now just a little more Sam, okay?"

Sam pushed on the next contraction with renewed vigor.

"One more Sam, and I think we're there."

Sam pushed, and screamed as she felt the baby finally leave her. She sobbed as she heard the baby start to wail. Janet quickly cleaned the tiny thing up, wrapping it in a warm blanket. She handed the bundle over to her sobbing mother.

"Say hello to your daughter, Sam," she said softly.

"Hello Catherine," Sam said as she stared in wonderment at her daughter. Her face was screwed up in protest, her cries letting everyone in the vicinity know of her healthy lungs.

"Catherine?" Janet asked. Sam nodded.

"It seemed appropriate. And it was my mother's middle name too."

She suddenly looked up at Janet with concern. "Is she alright? I mean..."

"As far as I can tell Sam, she's fine."

Sam gasped again as another contraction hit her. Janet leaned forward and took Catherine for one of the nurses to put in the crib they had devised.

"Just the afterbirth now, Sam. It'll be over soon."

A while later when they had tidied up both mother and daughter, Janet allowed the rest of SG-1 and General Hammond in to see them. Janet knew they had been waiting in the corridor all night.

Sam smiled tiredly when she saw them troop in, followed by a surprise visitor.

"Dad!" she cried happily. "What are you doing here?"

"You wouldn't think I'd miss the birth of my granddaughter would you? Although I expected a little more warning than that, Sam. Nine weeks of pregnancy? I'm sure there are women out there who would envy you." He leaned down and planted a kiss on her daughter's forehead. "Well done Sam. I'm proud of you. Now what's her name?"

"Catherine," Sam said proudly, staring transfixed at her daughter. She looked up at the others arrayed around her bed. Her father was standing next to her at the head of the bed, and strangely enough, Jack had positioned himself on the opposite side and was resting his arm against the wall, staring at Catherine. "Do you like it?" she asked.

"It's perfect, Sam," Daniel replied.

"Now do we all get to hold little Katie?" Jack asked impudently.

Sam looked at him sharply. "Katie?"

He shrugged and grinned. "Well?"

She smiled resignation. Her daughter's name may officially be Catherine, but she knew that Jack had just shortened it to Katie. She shifted slightly, and reluctantly lifted her daughter up for him to take. Jack took her carefully, and seemed to know exactly how to hold the sleeping infant. Which he did, she realized.

"She's beautiful, Sam," he said softly. Sam blushed a little.

"Hey! What about her granddad? Don't I get a cuddle?" Sam laughed took Katie back and handed her carefully to Jacob.

Once they had all greeted the new arrival, Janet ushered everyone from the room, saying mother and daughter needed rest.

Sam sat quietly in bed feeding her daughter the following afternoon. She was very sore and every movement caused her to wince, but just to see Catherine - or Katie as Jack insisted on calling her - suckling at her breast made it worthwhile. Catherine finished feeding and Sam gently moved her to her shoulder to burp her as one of the nurses had shown her. She sat for sometime rubbing her daughter's tiny back before she realized something was wrong. Cradling Katie's head in one hand, Sam ran her gaze over her. She was breathing, but there was something, she just knew it. She checked her baby's pulse and almost panicked when she couldn't find it. It was there, but high and fast. Dammit, what was the normal pulse rate for a new born?

"Katie?" she whispered. Catherine remained unresponsive.

"Janet!" Sam cried. "Janet!"

"Sam?" Janet asked pulling the curtains around Sam's bed back in a hurry. "What's wrong?"

"I don't know, I was feeding her, and... I don't know, Janet. I just know there's something wrong," Sam almost sobbed.

Janet pulled her stethoscope from around her neck to check the baby's breathing and heartbeat. Janet frowned, trying to maintain her professional demeanor over her growing concern. There was definitely something wrong. Catherine's heart rate was far too high and almost irregular.

"Peters!" she called to one of the nurses.

"Janet?" Sam asked.

"I don't know what it is, Sam, but I promise I'll find out."

Sam sat alone in the infirmary next to the small incubator in which her daughter lay. Machines around them hummed, keeping track of any changes in Catherine's respiration or heart rate. Sam stood and reached out a hand, gently tracing the baby's cheek, marveling how soft the skin felt. She bent and lifted the child into her arms, and sat back down to cradle her. Tears slipped slowly down her cheeks as Catherine did not respond. Janet was still unsure what exactly ailed Katie, but she surmised it had something to do with the abbreviated gestation period. Sam knew she was at a loss what to do next. There had never been a case where a human pregnancy had only taken nine weeks, and there weren't that many people they could safely contact about it either. She sat with her daughter for some time, until she felt a hand on her shoulder, and looked up to see Jack. He crouched silently next to her. Sam sniffed and placed Catherine back into the incubator, smoothing the blankets around her.

"I didn't realize until this moment how much I wanted her. How much I loved her," Sam said softly, wrapping her arms protectively around her waist.

"I know," Jack replied, slipping his arm around her shoulders. Of all the people here, Jack knew best what she was going through, she realised.

"Oh, Jack," she said wept, turning to him. He put his arms around her, drawing her onto his lap as he sat down. He held her tightly as she sobbed, her hands curled tightly in the front of his shirt. Eventually her grip relaxed and she lifted her head. She wiped at her eyes, and somewhere he managed to find a handkerchief so she could blow her nose.

"I'm sorry, sir" she said, although she made no move to get up.

"There's no need to be sorry, Sam," urging her head back down onto his shoulder.

They sat that way for a while longer, until Janet came in to check on Catherine. She made no comment when she saw Sam curled up on Jack's lap, his arms wrapped protectively around her. She quickly checked the monitors as Sam sat up. Janet sighed.

"There's no change. Which you could take as a good sign. She's holding her own. She's a real fighter, Sam," she added with a small smile.

"Any word from that pediatrician you were contacting?" Jack asked. Janet shook her head.

"No. I'm sorry, Sam, I've run out of ideas."

Sam nodded, and wiped her eyes again. Then she stopped and stared at Janet.

"Bralla!" she cried. "She cured Jack, remember? And she probably started all of this..."

"Sam, I hate to point this out," Jack said, "Wyan said she wouldn't be back for some weeks. She may not be there. No to mention the fact that Wyan's not very happy with us at the moment."

"I want to try! Please, Jack. Let me take Catherine to Bralla. If you don't let me, I'll simply take her myself," Sam threatened.

Jack exchanged a look with Janet, who shrugged.

"We've tried everything I can think of, Colonel. At this point..." Jack nodded, moving Sam off his lap.

"I'll talk to the General. Get Katie organized for travel, Doctor," he ordered.

SG-1 plus Doctor Frasier stepped out of the Gate to be greeted with the familiar green fields of Bralla's world. Sam gently cradled Catherine close to her chest.

"Ready?" Jack asked. They all nodded, taking up protective positions around Sam and Catherine in the middle. They weren't really expecting trouble, but it paid to be careful. As expected, they were met halfway to the village by Bralla, Wyan and several others.

"Teal'c! Daniel! Jack!" Bralla cried with a smile. "Welcome back."

"We were not expecting to see you again so soon," Wyan said with a frown.

"Wyan told me of your return. I am sorry I was not here to greet you and answer your concerns. Is that why you are here now?" Bralla asked.

"No," Sam said, pushing forward. "I want you to help my daughter."

Bralla looked surprised. "What is wrong with her?" she asked moving quickly to Sam and Catherine. Janet stepped forward.

"We think it has something to do with her accelerated gestation time," she started.

Bralla took Catherine gently out of Sam's arms. "Accelerated?" she asked, puzzled.

"Yes, it only took nine weeks, normally the human gestation period lasts for nine months."

"Nine months?" Bralla queried. "I thought..." A slight look of guilt crossed Bralla's face. Wyan half glared at her.

"You see what happened?" he asked. "You go meddling and..." Bralla cut him off.

"I haven't time for that now," she said as she laid Catherine's tiny body on the ground. With a frown of concentration, she swept one hand over the baby's body and the air around them began to shimmer and glow, brighter and brighter, as it had done weeks before as Bralla had healed Jack and Sam. The onlookers turned away. The silence was broken by a wail from Catherine. Sam rushed forward to pick up her daughter. Bralla smiled, although she looked exhausted.

"She should be fine, now," she announced. "I have corrected the earlier mistake."

"Mistake?" Janet asked.

Bralla looked abashed. "Yes, I miscalculated. I thought that the gestation period was nine weeks, not nine months. I am sorry, Sam."

"So it *was* you!" Sam gasped.

Bralla gave her a strange look. "In a way, yes." Catherine let out another loud wail, and the women's attention was diverted to her. 'She's hungry," Bralla observed with a pleased smile. "You should feed her." Sam nodded, beginning to unbutton her shirt. Jack took the opportunity to draw Bralla away slightly.

"So it was you?" he asked, repeating Sam's accusation.

Bralla gave him a patient look. "I only helped things along a little, Jack. I didn't do all the necessary work." She gave him a small wink. Now Jack was confused.

"Now really, Jack!" Bralla laughed. "I can't change the rules of biology, you know. There have to be two people involved to create a child." Jack continued to stare at her.

"But how? I mean who?"

"Jack," Bralla smiled patiently, "Why are you asking me to tell you something you already know?" Jack opened his mouth to answer, but found that for once he had no reply. He swallowed.

"I simply gave Sam something she never thought she would have. I gave you the opportunity of a second chance. And I want to stress that I didn't make either of you do anything you didn't want to. I simply planted the suggestion - and not a very strong one at that, I have to say. You both acted on it. You wouldn't have done if you didn't really feel anything for each other."

Once again Jack was lost for words.

"Do you know how complicated you've made things?" he finally asked. Bralla's smile grew wider.

"Complications aren't necessarily a bad thing, Jack. I'm sure you can work something out."

Jack lowered his voice. "She's my second in command, for crying out loud. It's against regulations!"

"Jack, in my experience I have found that if there is something I don't like or agree with, it is better to try and change it rather than simply complain about it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'd like to check on your daughter and her mother."

Jack stood there for a few moments with his mouth hanging open. He was startled when Daniel approached him.

"What did she say?" Daniel asked.

"I...uh...Nothin'" he replied.

"Oh, come on Jack, she must have said something for you to be standing there with your jaw on the ground," Daniel persevered, amused.

Jack gave Daniel a half-glare. "Nevermind," he said, grumpily, making his way over to Sam and his daughter. Daniel raised his arms up in a gesture of self-defense.

"Is she ok?" Jack asked the women sitting on the ground.

"As far as I can tell," Janet swiftly replied. "I'd like to get her back to the SGC to make sure, though. No offense Bralla."

"None taken, Janet. I understand."

Sam stood, holding her daughter close. "How can I ever thank you Bralla?" she asked.

"There is no need, Sam, really. Just bring Catherine back to visit occasionally," Bralla smiled.

Sam smiled back. "I will." She looked over at Jack, who was staring at her and Catherine with the strangest expression on his face. "Sir? Shall we go?" she asked.

"Uh, yeah. Sure," he shook himself from his thoughts. "Ok, people, let's go!"

"We will accompany you," Wyan said. The group made their way companionably back to the Gate. Daniel soon had them dialed up and was sending the GDO code through the Gate. Teal'c went through first, followed by Daniel.

"Thank you, again, Bralla," Sam said. "For everything," she added, glancing at her now quietly sleeping daughter.

"You are welcome, Sam. Always," Bralla smiled. "Now, take your daughter home." Sam nodded with a smile and turned and stepped through the Gate with Janet. Jack looked back one last time at Bralla and shook his head in confusion. He made to say something, but changed his mind at the last second.

"Good luck, Jack," Bralla called as he stepped through the Gate.

'Yeah,' Jack thought. 'I'm gonna need it.'

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Alexandra