Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Meaningless

by Constellation
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Meaningless

Meaningless

How had this happened? Daniel Jackson stood before Sha’uri – no, Amaunet – with a blast lance in his hand and the fate of planet Earth depending upon what he did next.

Amaunet would destroy Earth, if she lived.

Sha’uri would die, if Amaunet were killed.

Daniel had to choose between his home and his love. His wife. His life…

Beside him stood Colonel Jack O’Neill and Major Samantha Carter. Behind them, the Stargate loomed, a huge, round, balefully glaring eye.

“For Earth, Daniel,” O’Neill said softly. “For your home. Your people.”

Daniel knew he had no choice. “I know you’re still there, Sha’uri,” he said, voice trembling, “and I hope you’ll forgive me.” Aiming the blast lance with vision blurred by tears and hands that wouldn’t stop shaking, he fired.

Sha’uri/Amaunet died instantly.

Daniel couldn’t move. He stood frozen with shock, knuckles white as he gripped the lance, tears leaking from his blue eyes.

Sam put a hand on his shoulder. “You did the right thing, Daniel,” she said. “For Earth.”

Daniel laughed bitterly. “Earth,” he muttered derisively. “Earth. To hell with Earth. I should’ve let Ra execute me on Abydos.”

Before anyone could react, he reversed the blast lance and, in the same motion, shot himself in the heart. The world went mercifully, blessedly black as he fell…

***

Daniel woke with tears in his eyes.