Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Burning Horror Part 4: What's in a Name?, The

by Constellation
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Burning Horror Part 4: What's in a Name?

The Burning Horror Part 4: What's in a Name?

by Constellation

Summary: After the events of "Forever in a Day", the tragedy is only beginning.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Daniel/Share
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/18/04

The M.A.L.P. rolled up to the event horizon and stopped. The arm, equipped with an array of sensors and transmitters, extended cautiously through the wormhole. Images of the other side began to appear on the monitors screens of the SGC.

The coast was clear.

At Hammond's order, it pushed all the way through.

The ground was scorched, and a column of smoke rose from where the DHD should have been. Hammond ordered a naaquada reactor prepared to bring SG-1 home.

Speaking of whom...

There was no sign of them. They were nowhere in visual range, and the residual heat rendered the infrared sensors useless.

But before it could be used to search for the team, the second M.A.L.P. was destroyed in the same manner as the first.

***

"'...and the *Rhakhana'ta* became a human and took the name "fire".' Teal'C, I think the *Rhakhana'ta* is a living creature! And it may still be alive!"

Teal'C raised an eyebrow. "The majority of your evidence is extrapolated from local mythology, Daniel Jackson. You cannot prove such a theory."

Jackson sighed and pushed his glasses back up on his nose. "Teal'C, I've made a career of studying things like this. I'm pretty sure we're dealing with a being of pure energy, that probably takes the form of some kind of shapeless flame. It very likely thinks we're hostile."

"What thinks we're hostile?" O'Neill asked as he led Sam through the library door.

Daniel explained what he'd found. "It attacks everything that comes through the Stargate. I'm convinced it's real, but I don't know why it hasn't come after us yet."

Carter looked at O'Neill. "Sounds like the... thing that just destroyed the M.A.L.P. and the-"

Outside, a woman shouted, "Dan-yel!" The door burst open and Ankha rushed in, breathing heavily as if she'd run to get there. "We must speak, my Dan-yel," she panted.

O'Neill turned to smirk at his friend. "Seems you're pretty popular today, Daniel."

But Jackson didn't seem to hear him. An expression that was painful to see crossed his face fleetingly, and he said to Ankha, "Don't ever call me that. *Ever."* There were tears in his eyes.

Ankha sighed in exasperation. "Come." She grabbed Daniel's hand and pulled him into the next room. "Perhaps you should sit down, Dan-yel," she said as she closed the door.

"I'm all right, thanks," he said stiffly.

"Fine," she replied. "Let me ask you a question: Have I really changed so much that you no longer recognize me?"

"What are you talking about? We never met before my team arrived on this planet."

Ankha smiled. "That is where you are wrong, Dan-yel. We knew each other well, but when you last saw me, I was dead."

Daniel felt a chill.

"The shot that killed me also completely destroyed the body of the Goa'uld that controlled me," Ankha continued, "although the Jaffa remaining on the planet did not know that. They retrieved my body and revived me in a sarcophagus, hoping to save their queen. When I awakened, I tried to escape through the Stargate. I must have been shot in the head with a zatnickatel, or something, because I lost consciousness and came to on Etrar remembering nothing."

This time Daniel did sit down. Hard. He stared at the woman before him, stunned. Jack was right...

She saw the recognition in his face and flung herself into his arms. Both their faces were wet with tears of joy.

The door opened and O'Neill poked his head in. "Hey, Daniel. Teal'C found some rock-solid evidence to-" He broke off and raised an eyebrow. "Am I interrupting something here?"

Daniel stood, a broad smile on his face, and took the hand of the one he'd thought lost forever. "Jack," he said, "I'm sure you remember my wife, Sha'uri."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Constellation