Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Burning Horror Part 3: Look Behind the Façade, The

by Constellation
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Burning Horror Part 3: Look Behind the Façade

The Burning Horror Part 3: Look Behind the Façade

by Constellation

Summary: After the events of "Forever in a Day", the tragedy is only beginning.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Daniel/Share
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/18/04

The discussion would have to wait. There was something it had to take care of first...

***

The seventh chevron locked, and the wormhole engaged. The M.A.L.P. on the other side transmitted Colonel O'Neill's voice back to the SGC. "Base, this is SG-1, reporting in. Do you copy?"

General George Hammond leaned over to speak into the microphone. "We read you loud and clear, SG-1. What's your situation?"

"Well, sir, it seems that the Goa'uld haven't been here for thousands of years. They're a myth to these people."

"So the Goa'uld just dropped them on this planet and never returned?" Hammond asked.

Carter's face appeared over O'Neill's shoulder on the monitor screen. "Actually, sir, legend has it that the Goa'uld enslaved the Etrari for about four thousand years. Then they were chased away by something whose name roughly translates to 'the burning horror', which destroyed anything that came through the Stargate. We think it might be some sort of defense mechanism. Daniel and Teal'C are looking through the records and myths right now to see if they can find anything that could be-"

Sam broke off as a flickering yellow-orange light tinged their surroundings. Carter and O'Neill glanced behind them, then dove in opposite directions as a wall of flame filled the screen. The transmission fuzzed and went black, to be replaced by the words, "Signal Lost".

***

The flaming... *thing* disappeared as quickly as it had arrived, completely ignoring Jack and Sam. It had completely destroyed the M.A.L.P., and the acrid stench of burning metal and plastic hung thick and heavy in the air.

But the smoke was an insignificant problem when compared to the blackened crater where the DHD had been.

***

Ankha laughed. "Joros, you must be mistaken. Our visitors mean us no harm."

"You are just saying that because you will not let yourself see! You've fallen for Jackson and it's blinded you!" He sighed, and muttered, "You've been like this ever since I found you by the Circle."

Ankha felt cold. "F-found me? You mean... you're not my brother? I don't belong here?"

It seemed Joros hadn't meant to let that slip. "Well, uh, actually..."

A searing anger rose up within her and burst out. "You *lied* to me! Everything you've ever told me was a lie!" A terrible realization dawned on her. "You... you wiped my memory, didn't you?" she accused. "Who are you, really?"

Joros placed his hands on her shoulders. "I didn't wipe your memory, Ankha," he said gently. "I just... didn't want you to know the truth."

*"Why?!"* she demanded.

"Because you would have been unhappy for the rest of your life! Knowing that you had lost your entire life but unable to recall anything - I couldn't let you live like that!"

All her fury drained away, and her vision blurred with tears. "Where am I from, Joros? Who was I?"

"That's why I didn't want to tell you the truth," he said softly. "I don't know. You could be from Earth, Chulak, even Abydos for all I know. There is no way of getting you home."

Ankha turned away as the tears spilled over. She decided she would go find Daniel; he always seemed to know the right thing to say, even though she knew he didn't like her.

She stopped.

Two names suddenly clicked in her mind, and began to unlock her memory.

"Ankha?" Joros sounded concerned.

A smile spread across her face. "My name isn't Ankha," she said.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Constellation