Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Burning Horror Part 1: First Impressions, The

by Constellation
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Burning Horror Part 1: First Impressions

The Burning Horror Part 1: First Impressions

by Constellation

Summary: After the events of "Forever in a Day", the tragedy is only beginning.
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst
Season: Season 3
Pairing: Daniel/Share
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 01/18/04

Historian's Note: This story is set between the episodes "Forever in a Day" and "Past and Present".

When SG-1 stepped through the Stargate onto P2X-138, Doctor Daniel Jackson was surprised to find a person react more quickly than his allergies. "You must go back!" the black-haired young man cried as the Stargate closed.

Daniel stepped forward, hands raised, palms outward in the universal gesture of peace. He opened his mouth to speak - and sneezed instead. These allergies were seriously annoying, Finally, he managed to say, "We mean you and your people no harm."

"I don't doubt it," the man said, emerald eyes filled with concern. "It is you who are in danger!"

"What kind of danger?" Colonel Jack O'Neill, commander of SG-1, asked.

"The *Rhakhana'ta* could attack you at any moment!"

"Wait a second," Daniel said. "Rhakhana'ta... doesn't that mean 'protector/friend'?"

"That is correct, Mr. ..."

"Doctor, actually. Jackson. Daniel Jackson."

"Doctor Jackson. The *Rhakhana'ta* protects the people of Etrar by eliminating hostiles who arrive through the Circle."

"The word can also mean 'the burning horror' depending on context, right?"

The native man nodded. That is indicative of the manner in which it... disposes of our enemies."

"Have you ever seen this Rack... kata... this 'burning horror'?" O'Neill asked.

The young man began to look decidedly uncomfortable. "Ah, no, actually. None of my people have."

"Hold on," Daniel said before O'Neill could ask any further questions. "You said the *Rhakhana'ta* protects the Etrari from their enemies. My team and I come in peace, so shouldn't we be safe from it?"

"The *Rhakhana'ta* cannot tell the difference! That is why you must-"

"Joros!" A young woman approached from behind him. "Are you frightening our visitors with tales of the *Rhakhana'ta ?"* She turned to SG-1. "I'm Ankha. You must forgive my brother Joros - he's a firm believer in the old myths. Come, I will take you to the village."

As she lead the team down the hill, Jackson made a mental note to ask her about her name.

***

"It comes from the word *ankh,* which dates back to the beginning of my people's civilization-"

"And means 'life'," Daniel said.

Ankha looked at him curiously. "How did you know?"

Daniel explained that the word was also present in the ancient Egyptian tongue.

She was very surprised. "Where are you from, anyway?"

"A planet called Earth," Jackson replied. "It's about... oh, ninety thousand light-years or so from here."

"And yet we are the same species... with a similar cultural background... that's incredible!"

"Actually, no, it isn't. Around ten thousand years ago, an alien species called the Goa'uld transported humans through the Stargate on Earth to hundreds of planets for slave labor."

"Then the ancient myths are true!" Ankha sat in stunned silence for a moment, considering the implications, and Daniel found himself studying her face. With her curly black hair, olive skin, and innocently wide-set brown eyes, she reminded him of Sha'uri. Tears welled up in his eyes, and one spilled down his cheek. He quickly swiped at it and looked away.

Ankha frowned, concerned. "Are you all right?"

Daniel drew a shaky breath, then nodded. "It's just... well, you look just like my wife, and thinking about her..."

"You miss her so already? You have been here mere hours, and if what you say about the Circle is true, you can return home to her at any time."

The pain that was like a knife to Daniel's heart was evident in his voice as he replied, "Actually, she, uh, she died, just recently."

After a long, uncomfortable silence, Ankha changed the subject. "So... Dan-yel. What does your name mean?"

Daniel winced - Ankha pronounced his name exactly the same way Sha'uri had.

"Well," he said as he regained his composure, "It comes from one of the ancient languages of my world. It's a derivative of the Hebrew Danyiel, which means 'God is my judge'."

"Then you are a religious man?"

"No, not especially."

***

Despite the little voice inside her that urged her to leave the man to his grief, Ankha found herself irresistibly attracted to Daniel. She gave him her most seductive smile and moved closer to him. "There are many things about you that are mysterious, Dan-yel Jackson," she said. "I find that quite... intriguing."

***

*The woman is shameless!* Daniel thought, disgusted.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Constellation