Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

A Different Point Of View - 1

by SueKay
[Reviews - 0]   Printer Chapter or Story
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
A Different Point of View Chapter 1

A Different Point of View Chapter 1

by sueKay

Summary: SG1 are sent to retrieve a mysterious artefact. What is it meant to do?
Category: Alternate Universe
Episode Related: 306 Point of View, 512 Wormhole Xtreme
Season: Season 5
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: FAM
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 2004-10-06

Well, here it is. Chapter one of my first Stargate fan fiction.

Disclaimer; to MGM, Gekko and associated companies, I'm not making any money out of this story, I'm just borrowing the characters for a while.

I'm a Stargate newbie, as well as a fanfic newbie, so any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanx to mishy-mo for some great ideas on upcoming chapters. This is a parody, loosely based on the episodes 'Point of View' and 'Wormhole X-treme!' Please R&R. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A different point of view

"Trees! Oh boy, what a change...Trees! I can hardly contain myself!" Colonel Jack O'Neill shouted at the rest of SG-1.

"Sir, I'm not responsible for there being trees here."

"Carter. I'm not stupid, It's just...I hate trees!" Jack was visibly angry.

"Well Jack, there's really not much we can do about it, and standing here all day debating trees isn't going to get us anywhere." Said Daniel picking up his pace. "The sooner we find the power source the Tok'ra believe is here, the sooner we can go home."

Daniel continued walking until he realised that Jack, Sam and Teal'c were not following him.

"Daniel. The energy readout's coming from this direction" said Sam indicating her scanner's readout.

Daniel promptly turned back to the group before walking in the direction that Sam told him. Sam then walked with him, and the two continued an earlier debate on what the power signature could be.

"Oy. This is gonna be one helluva long day." Noted Jack as he held back behind the bickering scientist and archaeologist.

"You are correct O'Neill." Said Teal'c, calm and collected as ever.

"What exactly are we looking for?"

"Selmak surveyed this planet from a cargo ship a few weeks ago. Scans showed weak traces of Naquadria in the vicinity." Teal'c responded.

"So that's why Carter's so...happy?"

"I believe that Major Carter is anxious given the unstable nature of the element."

"Guys!" came a shout from Daniel. "I think we've found something!"

"Well, lets have a look." Said Jack, as he sauntered to his teammates' position.

Before him lay a small device, with a shiny reflective surface, almost like a mirror. It had a large centre button, with four small panels at each corner. The device was roughly square in shape. Jack indicated that he wanted to lift it up, and Sam gave him a quick nod that it was okay to do so. As he lifted the device, he realised just how small it was, being just larger than Jack's outstretched hand.

"Well...Carter...what is it exactly?"

"I have no idea sir. It's obviously been here deactivated for a number of years." Said Sam, perplexed, "It is giving off Naquadria readings, but radiation's at normal background levels."

"Is that a good thing?"

"Yes. It means the device is safe enough to take back with us. I don't think it's a weapon or a power generator of any kind. It may be a tool for communication."

"Crap."

"What's that Jack?" enquired Daniel.

"Oh nothing. I was just hoping that it was a big honkin' gun so I could have destroyed every tree in sight!" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And this ladies and gentlemen is exhibit 14B, otherwise known as the Quantum Mirror." The steward's statement elicited a rather long "ooh-ah" from the crowd of Stargate fans following him round a prop room at a Vancouver Convention.

"The mirror is best known for the episode 'Point of View' in which an alternate Carter and Kawalski appear at area 51."

A young girl chipped in with her own comment, "That's my favourite episode. Sam's hair is nicer"

"I think she suits it shorter" came a call from another fan.

"We can leave the debate for another time folks. Right now we should move on to exhibit 14C, the prop 'Stargate' from 'Wormhole X-Treme'."

And with that comment, Robert the Steward and his entourage continued their way around the prop room. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, Major, what is it?" asked General Hammond.

"I'm almost at a complete loss sir. I thought that it may have been a communication device, but now, I'm not so sure."

"Any idea who it belongs to?"

"It may be Asgard, but it could be from a race we know nothing about. Permission to activate the device sir."

"Are you sure that's a...good thing to do?" enquired Jack.

"It should be fine sir."

"Okay Major, but proceed with caution." Said Hammond.

"Yes sir."

With that, Hammond turned and exited the lab. Daniel turned round, looking rather confused.

"What's up with him?" he enquired.

"Huh?"

"He just seemed a little preoccupied, that's all."

"Oh. I think the Tok'ra are paying us a visit later." Replied Carter "Not a nice, friendly visit either."

"How's that?" asked Jack.

"A little altercation between Lieutenant White and one of Councillor Per'sus' guards."

"Sweet. What do the Tok'ra want to do?"

"They just want to talk to White."

"Ooh...Bad. So...Carter...Are we gonna try this thing or what?" asked Jack.

"Yeah. Everybody grab a pair of goggles."

Sam took an electrical lead from a small container on her desk. Searching the device, she found a suitable port for the lead. She plugged it in, before carefully placing the device back on the table. Turning, Sam indicated to everyone to stand back, as she headed for the mains electricity switch. She turned the power on, and as the power reached the device, it gave out a little beep.

"I held my breath...for a beep?" Jack said, before muttering "for crying out loud."

Pulling on a pair of plastic gloves, Sam turned the device round to see the now active screen. Daniel also looked at the screen, before his face twisted up with concentration. He was staring intently at two particular symbols.

"I think it's a Var'tesh."

"What?" asked Jack.

"A sort of Goa'uld um...Game Boy."

"Wow. Really?"

"Yeah. Apophis had one. The System Lords use them to unwind and relax."

"How d'you get your hands on one?" enquired Jack.

"Oh...uh...Apophis' Var'tesh broke, and as it is Ancient's technology, he left it behind, unable to fix it. I repaired it. One of the games...bel'teck...I think it's called. It's really good. Kept me occupied for hours on Abydos."

"So it just plays games?" said an exasperated Sam.

"No. It has another secret use. If it's hooked up to two opposing energy sources, it can act as a gateway to another dimension. The Var'tesh I studied in the past was completely different, so I don't think they're made to exacting standards."

"That's how you didn't know what the device was to begin with." Teal'c stated.

"Yes. I surmised last time, that Naquadah had to be one of the power sources used to power the device. I couldn't find out what the other power source was, but now that we've discovered Naquadria...it may be the other power Source! At least...that's what I think."

"You...think?" Said Jack, who was now completely bamboozled.

"It makes sense."

"No it doesn't." Jack looked over at Teal'c who looked as perplexed as himself. Smiling, he looked at Daniel and Sam, who were not at a loss. His smile faded. "It does make sense?"

Carter answered his question. "Yes. Theoretically, the power that could be generated from combining a Naquadah generator and Naquadria generator is infinite. For a device as small as this, you would need a lot energy to create a stable subspace vortex between two diverging realities."

Jack stared blankly at her. "As simple as that, huh?"

"Major Carter." Said Teal'c "Do you think we should visit this other dimension?"

"Maybe. I don't think it would be at all like the Quantum Mirror. It should only link to one other Universe."

Jack sat down, rubbing his forehead. "I'll ask Hammond if we have a go."

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to sueKay