Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Good Doctor, The

by Katrin Halcyon
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
doctor

The Good Doctor

by Katrin Halcyon

TITLE: The Good Doctor
AUTHOR: Katrin Halcyon
EMAIL: kathalcyon@hotmail.com
CATEGORY: Sam and Jack
SPOILERS: A little bit for "Singularity"
SEASON / SEQUEL:
RATING: PG
CONTENT WARNINGS:
SUMMARY: Janet contemplates
STATUS: Complete
ARCHIVE: Heliopolis
DISCLAIMER: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
AUTHOR'S NOTES: Sorry about the title again. And if you want, you can blame it on Ness. I got the idea while reading "A Good Life."

I check my watch. 11:00.

I sigh. It's more common than I would like, getting home at this hour. Working at the SGC, I'm always on call.

I walk slowly upstairs and take a peek in my daughter's room. Her eyes are closed and her breathing is steady; she's asleep. I smile fondly. When I adopted her two years ago, I was afraid we wouldn't be able to make it as a family: a single, always-on-call doctor and a pre-pubescent human/alien girl.

But we have. Against all odds, Cassandra and I have a wonderful life together... when we're together. I love her so much.

I've always wanted kids. I know that most women say that, but with me, it's true. It was my desire for children that made me marry a fellow med student when I was twenty. When I got out of that horribly dysfunctional relationship, five years later, I was almost happy that the marriage had been childless. At least there wouldn't be a messy custody battle to go along with the messy divorce.

I close Cassie's door softly and walk back downstairs. I'm tired, and yet I don't want to go to bed.

I idly flip on the radio and am rewarded with Shirley Manson singing softly "I would die for you..." I switch it from Cassie's favorite station to my own. Chantal Kreviazuk's "Feels Like Home" is playing, and I sink down into an old, soft easy chair.

As I reach for my novel, I remember suddenly that SG-1 is off-world and scheduled to come back tomorrow. I wonder who will be the injured one this time, Jack or Daniel.

I don't know which to hope for. Of course, it would be best if neither of them were hurt. But that doesn't happen very often.

I certainly don't want him to get hurt. But if he did, he would have to spend more time in the infirmary... with me.

Sighing, I open my book. My eyes scan the pages, but the twists of the murder mystery are not making it all the way to my brain.

"Stop it, Janet," I tell myself out loud. I might as well stop brooding over him. Nothing can come of it.

Between his deep, abiding love for his wife - after all this time - and his extreme crush on my best friend, Sam Carter, I get relegated to "friend" status.

Not that I mind. Being his friend is better than nothing, right?

But it might be easier if Sam at least had a clue that the most wonderful man I know is head-over-heels for her. If I can't have him, my best friend should, right? But no. For such a smart woman, she's not that bright sometimes.

I put my book down, stand up, and flip the Corrs off mid-lyric. I need my beauty sleep. After all, I'll see him tomorrow.

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katrin Halcyon