Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Going, Going.Staying!

by Katmellie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Going, Going.Staying!

Going, Going.Staying!

by Katmellie

Title: Going, Going.Staying!
Author: Katmellie
Email: Katmellie@AOL.com
Category: none
Season: any Season
Pairing: Sam/Jack
Rating: PG
Warnings: minor language
Summary: Someone's offered a new post, but will they go?
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).

The gate bursts into life, sending the room into a blue glow and then the iris closes over it. Hammond was already waiting in the control room. Looking down at the monitor in front of him, SG-1 IDC code wrote in the centre of it. The iris opens bringing the room, back into its blue glow. He smiles looking back up, to see his favourite team, walking down the ramp. No casualties, no injuries, and no mud. The gate closes, as he quickly walks down the stairs, stepping into the gate room as the door opens. Jack was sitting on the end of the ramp, rubbing his hair. They were all completely wet through, from the looks of things. Jack looks up to see Hammond; he quickly stands to attention in front of him. Hammond waves him away; Jack slowly sits back down on the ramp. Sam takes her backpack off, dropping to the floor; a small puddle starts to form. Hammond watches them as they are de-equipped, this team had seen the good and the bad the gate could bring, and now there was a chance they could be losing one of its members. Jack stands up and sighing to himself, turning to leave the room with the rest of his team. Hammond places a hand on his shoulder; stopping him in his tracks, Jack looks at him and smiles. Hammond nods towards the door, and heads towards it. Jack frowns but follows him; he looks at his team and waves for them to go. They look at one another as they leave the room. Hammond opens the door to his office, letting Jack precede him in and then closes the door. He looks at Jack, as he takes sit behind his desk, and opening the file on it. Jack stands in front of him, looking around the room. Hammond looks at him, seating back in his seat and then sighs.
Hammond: "Colonel, take a seat"

Jack looks at the seat, and then sits down in it, placing his backpack at his feet. He leans on the arms of the chair, looking at Hammond waiting for him to speak. Hammond looks down at the file, and then leans forward into his seat.

Hammond: "Right, Colonel. Em...there's a position opening at one of the base's, in Detroit. One of the Major General's is retiring" Jack: "You're not leaving, are you sir?" Hammond: "No, son. It's being offer to you"

Jack frowns looking Hammond, he looks at the floor and then back at Hammond. Jack smiles at him, clapping his hands together, as he stands up and crosses to the door. He opens the door, looking outside for something. He closes it, frowning to himself as he crosses the room to the other door and then opens it. He looks outside, then slowly coming back in and closing the door behind him, as he turns back to Hammond.

Jack: "Where's the video camera? Did Carter put you up to this, sir?" Hammond: "Jack, I'm being serious, this isn't a joke. Believe me, I wish it was"

Jack looks at him, as he sits in down in a seat and he stares at his hands. Hammond leans forward picking up the file. He offers it to Jack; Jack takes it and starts flicking through it. But he wasn't really paying any attention to it, as he flicks through it.

Hammond: "You've got a fortnight, to think it over and I suggest, you think it through fully. This is a big change, you would have to move and leave the S.G.C" Jack: "I understand, sir"
Hammond: "Jack this is a big thing. Go home and think it over, I'll excuse you from the briefing. Come back tomorrow and we'll discuss it some more"

Jack nods his head, closing the file and picking up his backpack, as he stood up. Hammond stands up, and opens the door into the briefing room. Jack slowly walks towards the door, but stops looking up at Hammond.

Jack: "Sir, can you tell my team. I don't think I would be able to. They have a right to know thou, but I..." Hammond: "I will, Colonel. I will"

Jack nods his head, he sighs stepping pass Hammond and heading back down the stairs. Hammond watches him, until he's out of sight. He slowly walks to the table; he lowers himself into a seat and bangs his fist off the table. He twirls in his chair, till he's facing the window.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c enter the briefing room; they go silent as they notice Hammond already in his seat waiting. Sam and Daniel look at one another, and shrug at each other. Teal'c passes them and takes his seat at the table. Sam crosses to her seat, pulls it out and quickly sits down. Daniel frowns looking at the table, and then down the corridor. He looks at Sam, pointing to Jack's normal occupied chair. Sam looks at it, and then shrugs to him. Daniel pulls his seat out, looking at Hammond as he sits down. Hammond sits forward on his chair, rubbing his face with hands.

Daniel: "Em...General Hammond. Where's Jack?" Hammond: "Err...I've told him to go home"

Daniel and Sam look at one another, and then back at Hammond. Teal'c takes sudden interest in the conversation, looking at Hammond and then at Daniel and Sam.

Teal'c: "Why has O'Neill been sent home, General Hammond?" Hammond: "Em...Colonel O'Neill has been offered a command of his own. The General there has decided to retired and Colonel O'Neill has been offered his position. So, I've sent him home to think it over" Sam: "Sir? What would happen to SG-1?"
Hammond: "I have decided if Colonel O'Neill decides to go. You will take command of SG-1, and I'll a sign a new member"

They all go silent, looking at one another and then at the table top. Daniel looks at Sam, and then at Hammond. Teal'c raises his eyebrow, and returns to looking at the Stargate. Hammond sighs looking at them all, and then down at the table top.

Hammond: "Major, would you like to start the de-briefing, please?" Sam: "Em...we arrived at P98 E2W, we meet the inhabitants. Colonel O'Neill and Daniel talked to them about being allies. The Colonel told them, they'd probably be a team going back to discuss the treaty with them" Hammond: "Okay, I'll send SG-12. Dr Jackson would like to add anything?" Daniel: "Err...their just a little primitive, but they have some minerals they wouldn't mind trading with us" Hammond: "I take it, they aren't aggressive then?" Teal'c: "Indeed, they were very welcoming towards us"

Hammond nods his head, looking at them all before standing up. They all stand up; Hammond nods to them and goes into his office. Sam looks at Daniel and Teal'c; she hits the table and then leaves the room. Daniel looks at Teal'c; he shrugs at him and then follows Sam. Teal'c watches him leave, and then looks out on the Stargate.

Sam flings the door open; it bangs off the wall and it comes back, flying into her face. She closes her eyes, frowning as she steps passed it, into the room. She opens her eyes, cursing at the door as she sits down, rubbing her face. She knew it just a matter of time, before Daniel came looking for her. It wasn't right, why'd they have to choose the Colonel? They were settle as a team, and were now a family of sorts. And now they wanted to split them up? To split her and her Colonel, the one man who didn't discriminated her for being a woman, who gave her a chance and was the one man, who had let her be herself. The man she'd...secretly...love and they wanted to take him away from her. The door opening brought her out of her thoughts; she looks up to see Daniel's head, sticking out from behind the door. She smiles at him, and motions for him to sit by her. He smiles at her, as he steps into the room and shuts the door. He sits down next to her, putting his arm round her shoulders.

Daniel: "Tell Uncle Daniel, what's wrong?"

Sam looks up at him frowning but grinning, as she shakes her head at him. He smiles pulling her closure to him. She rests her head on his shoulder, as she pats his leg.

Sam: "Daniel, you're a good friend"
Daniel: "Yeah, don't try and change the subject. Tell what's up?" Sam: "They can't take him away; he's part of our team, our family" Daniel: "Yeah, but you have to think of Jack. He's got a chance to have his own command, be the boss for once and...he gets a promotion" Sam: "He doesn't care about being promoted; he only cares about watching the hockey highlights and drinking beer"

Daniel chuckles at her remark, she grins looking up at him and then back down at the floor. Daniel takes a deep breath, and slowly lets it out.

Daniel: "He won't go anyway, there's too much at stake here" Sam: "Yeah, your right. But there's still a chance, that'll he will decide to go. I mean it'll be big for him" Daniel: "Yeah, but how would you feel if he did?" Sam: "The truth?"
Daniel: "Well, it would help"

She sits up; grinning at him, as she looks at him and then to the lockers in front of them. She notices Jack's locker, and looks down at the floor.

Sam: "I'd be...bloody upset. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Probably, sit at home moaning to myself, about being stupid and should get back to work" Daniel: "So in another words, you would really miss him" Sam: "Well, wouldn't you?"
Daniel: "Yeah, but I'm not in love with him. He's like a brother to me, but I would have Teal'c and you. He wouldn't have any of us, probably keep calling us all the time"

Sam starts giggling into his shirt, he chuckles wrapping an arm round her. He pats her on the back, and stands up. She looks at him, and then stands up, as well.

Daniel: "Come on, commissary for coffee" Sam: "I think I want something stronger" Daniel: "Well, then. Let's grab Teal'c and make a night of it. Teal'c can be the designated driver"

She laughs opening her locker, taking off her shirt and putting her leather jacket on. She shuts her locker, smiles at Daniel and leaves the room, with him in tow.

Jack wasn't looking forward to this morning, he had to tell them his decision, but he didn't want to. He didn't want to see their faces, as the news sunk in and then they probably would go quiet, sitting there and looking at him, with draggers. He didn't want to leave his so called family, but then they didn't really need him, as much as he needed them. He especially need her, the one he woke up for and got out of bed each morning for. He shakes his head, pinching the bridge of his nose. He wanted her so badly; it was starting to hurt every time he saw her. Maybe it would be good for him to go, get his head clear and get a better perspective of things. She didn't show, any sign that she needed him, she was independent and he respected her for it. She has that quality that makes anything she does special, even her bad habits. When she thinking, she starts chewing her hair sometimes and then there's times, when she can be very ignoring. He smiles to himself, as he turns the corner into his office. He throws his jacket over his chair, as he picks up his mail. He flicks through it, until he comes across a memo from Daniel.

To: Colonel J O'Neill
From: Dr D Jackson
Jack, I need to talk you about something, it may help you with your decision or it may not. But I think you should know. Come and find, and tell me when would be good for you. Daniel

He frowns at it, as he folds it up and stuffs it in his pocket. He drops the others on his desk, and picks his coffee mug up. He looks around for anything; he may have missed and closes the door.

He enters the commissary, looking round for anyone he may know. No one was even in the commissary yet. He shrugs to himself, picking the coffee pot up and pours it into his mug. He replaces the jug, and turns to leave, when the rest of his team comes in laughing amongst themselves. He smiles at them, and takes a sip of his coffee. Sam turns to face him; her smile turns into a frown, as she steps pass him and grabs a bottle of orange. She walks off to their usual table, and sits down, looking at the table. Daniel pats him on the shoulder, as he picks up a mug and pours himself coffee. Teal'c nods to him, and joins Sam at the table. Jack frowns and looks to Daniel for answers. Daniel shrugs, he motions for him to join them. Jack sighs and follows him to the table. Sam quickly looks up and then back down at the table. Jack sits down opposite her, placing his mug in front of him. Daniel sits down next to him, and takes a sip of his coffee.

Teal'c: "Good morning, O'Neill"
Jack: "Morning, Teal'c. At least you're speaking to me" Daniel: "I'm talking to you"
Jack: "Yeah, but Carter won't even look at me"

Sam looks up at him, he looks at her and then she looks back down at the table. Jack shakes his head, taking a sip of his coffee. Daniel starts to notice the tension, and decides to get over and done with.

Daniel: "So, Jack. Have you decided what you're going to do?" Jack: "Err...yeah. I thought I would...accept it"

Sam looks up at him, she look as if she was on the brink of tears for a minute, but them her soldier mode comes on. Jack looks at her, and then looks down at his coffee mug. Daniel holds his head, in his hands, waiting for her about to erupt.

Sam: "You can't go! You're the leader of SG-1! Your place is here, with us! Were fighting, a war, and your going, at the first, opportunity?!" Jack: "Hey! Lay off! I'm still your commanding officer, so back off!" Sam: "Not for long you aren't! What the hell gives you the right, to do this to us?!" Jack: "It's my life, Carter! I can do whatever I want, with it! I can go wherever I want; I could go home today and kill myself! Anyway, I would have thought, at least you would understand!" Daniel: "Hey! Now calm down the pair of you. You don't want to part on bad terms" Sam: "He doesn't care anyway, so I'm not going to waste my breath on him"

Jack had had it; he was not taking this from her. She was supposed to understand, being a military person herself. He stands up, picking up his mug and starts to leave. He stops; he turns round taking a step back to the table. He leans down so he was face to face with her.

Jack: "You know, I was really going to miss you, but now...I'm glad I'm going, I won't have to put up with your bullshit anymore!" Sam: "Yeah, well, I won't have to put up with a MORON, as my CO anymore!"

She stands up abruptly, Jack steps back into a fighting stance with his guard up. She steps out from the table, into a fighting stance as well. Daniel and Teal'c get up, and get ready to grab either one.

Jack: "I should have kicked you out, as soon as we got back from Chulak!" Sam: "Maybe, you should have! You would have saved me the trouble, of asking for transfer!" Jack: "I knew that it was a bad idea having a woman, on my team. They always turn out to be spoilt, little bitches! And then go round, sleeping with anyone at a drop of a hat!" Sam: "Only because you can't sleep with me!"

She takes a deep breath; she lunges for him getting him right on the chin, sending him flying into a table. She stands there ready for his come back, he gets up shaking his head and wiping the blood off his lip. He looks at it, and then a Sam.

Jack: "You know I don't like hitting ladies!"

Sam puts her guard down, taking a step back as he steps towards her.

Jack: "But then I wouldn't be hitting a lady!"

She frowns at him, and places her hands on her hips. He throws a punch at her, connecting with her chin. She falls back into Teal'c, as Daniel grabs Jack pulling him away. Sam struggles against Teal'c; Jack looks at her and then turns his back to her. Jack shrugs him off, picking up his mug of coffee and heading towards the door. But she had to get the last word; she pushes herself away from Teal'c, resting her hands on the table.

Sam: "That's it, run away! Your good at that, you've had a lot of practise running away from things that are important!" Daniel: "Sam! Shut up, you've said your piece! Now sit down!"

Jack shakes his head, as he heads to Hammond's office, wiping some more blood off his lip. Daniel picks up his mug motioning for Teal'c to follow him, he turns towards the door. Sam wipes some blood away from her lip, spits some out onto floor. Teal'c steps pass her and follow Daniel out the room, leaving Sam by herself. When she was alone in the room, she breaks down into tears. She grabs her juice and throws it across the room. It hits the wall, all the juice inside bursting out the lid, as it lands helplessly on the floor. She folds her arms on the table, and rests her head on them.

Jack rapes on Hammond's door, he hears a murmur enter and opens the door. He walks in, shutting the door behind him as he stands in front of Hammond's desk. Hammond looks up closing the file in front of him. He frowns at the cut on Jack's lip, and motions for him to take a seat. Jack shakes his head, stepping forward and leaning down on the desk.

Jack: "Sir, I came here to tell you I accept and I'll be leaving today. I don't want anything to do with this place anymore, or the people who work here" Hammond: "Colonel? Err...what's gone on?" Jack: "Nothing, sir. Just a disagreement, between myself and a member of my team"

Hammond raises eyebrows, and leans onto his desk. Jack shakes his head, and turns to the door. Hammond stands up, just as Jack opens the door.

Hammond: "Son, it's been an honour to serve with you. I'll certainly miss you" Jack: "I feel the same, sir. But I wished I could say it to the rest"

Hammond nods his head, and sits back down, looking at his desk. Jack nods his head, closing the door as he leaves Hammond's office.

Jack had already began packing his things away, as Daniel knock on his door. He enters the room, looking at all the boxes that were either full or empty. Jack looks at him, and returns to packing the box, in front of him. Daniel steps up to Jack's desk, picking up a photograph off it and looking at it. Jack looks at him, and then back at the box. Daniel places the picture back down, stuffing his hands into his pockets and looks round the room. Jack stops, resting his hands on the box. He looks at Daniel and then back at the box. He picks it up, and places it by the door. Daniel turns round looking at the other boxes stake up by the door.

Daniel: "So, you're going to go then?" Jack: "Yes, Daniel. People pack boxes when their going, and then those boxes are sent to there next posting"

Daniel sighs heavily, crossing the room to the door and slamming it shut. He rests his hand on the door, and looks at Jack. Jack was slowly positioning himself, into his fighting stance. Daniel crosses the room to the desk, and sits down on the corner.

Daniel: "You are so blind"
Jack: "What? Oh, you're not going to start talking to me in riddles now. Why can't you be like Carter, and not talk to me?" Daniel: "Would you listen to me for a minute?"

Jack sighs, crossing his arms a cross his chest, as he sits down on his chair. Daniel shakes his head, and then looks at Jack.

Daniel: "You're going to miss, you know?" Jack: "Yeah, but you'll soon forget me" Daniel: "Are you kidding? Who's going to ignore the hell out me, about my artefacts? Who's going to get himself into some much, that he needs rescuing? And who's going to look after Sam?" Jack: "She can take care of herself; she doesn't need me or anyone for that matter. She made that quiet clear to me" Daniel: "She was lashing out, but she shouldn't have done it. She's really going to miss you" Jack: "Yeah, in your dreams Danny boy"
Daniel: "She told me herself, yesterday to be accurate. She doesn't want you to go, and neither do me and Teal'c"

Jack unfolds his arms, and rests his head in his hands. Daniel leans down on the table, to get a little closure.

Daniel: "She loves you, and you love her. That's what I meant, about you being blind. She feels you're being taken away from her" Jack: "I know that! Remember we told each other, in a way"

Jack slowly looks up at him, sitting up straight in his chair and then running his hands though his hair. Daniel sits up, not taking eyes off Jack, for a second.

Jack: "What the hell, do you expect me to do, Daniel?" Daniel: "You need to go and talk with her. You've been friends to long now, just to eave on bad terms" Jack: "You're right, as always. Where is she, in her lab, the commissary? Where would I find her, Danny boy?" Daniel: "She went home; she told Hammond she was ill"

Jack stands up, grabbing his jacket off the back of his chair. Daniel stands up, pulling his uniform straight as he watches Jack. Jack quickly puts his arms into the sleeves, and shrugs his jacket on. He opens his top draw, taking his keys out and shoving them in his pocket. He stands still for a moment; he nods his head a few times, and then opens the door, shutting it as he left. Daniel looks round at the room, wondering where Jack had been keeping all stuff.

Jack pulls up outside Sam's house, the lights were on and her bike was sitting in the driveway. He pulls his keys out of the ignition, and watches the house, a few more minutes. He shouldn't be here; they'd probably end up and slugging match anyway. Probably knock some sense into them both, or knock some into him. He shakes his head, opening his trucks door and stepping out. He closes the door, and leans on the hood of the truck. She wouldn't appreciate him being there, she'd probably slam the door in his face. But he'd have to take the chance, it was now or never and it had to be now. He pushes himself away form the truck, and starts on the journey to her front door. He looks at her bike as he passes it, the night blue and dark red clashing with each other. Probably wouldn't be the only things clashing, in a minute. He steps up onto the little porch, praying that she'd gone out for walk or had fell into a deep sleep. He presses the door bell, and stands back waiting for the door to be open. He rubs his face, wincing as his finger passes over his cut. The door opens; he turns round to see her standing in the doorway. She rolls her eyes, and slams the door. He frowns at the door, and then knocks on the door.

Sam: "Go away! I don't want to talk to you!" Jack: "I'm not going anyway, until you talk to me!" Sam: "Well, you better set up your tent! Because, your gonna be there a while!"

He sighs stepping away from the door; he looks down the porch either side. He notices the window; he moves to it and looks inside. She wasn't in there, the hell had she gone. He steps back off the porch, looking at the windows above. One of them was open, if he could just get up there. He looks round for something to climb on. Nothing, there wasn't even a chair. He was going to have to do this the hard way. He rubs his hands together, stepping onto the edge of the porch. He looks up at the edge of the roof; he jumps up and grabs hold of it. He pulls himself up, swinging a leg up and pulling the rest of himself up. He takes a deep breath, while he kneels on the roof. He could hear someone shouting from the sidewalk. He looks down to see some old woman, pointing at him.

Old Woman: "Get down from there, or I'll call the police!" Jack: "Hey lady! I'm...taking a look at her guttering" Old Woman: "Oh! Okay! Sorry!"
Jack: "It's okay!"

The woman walks off down the sidewalk, Jack shakes his head and as pushes himself up. He staggers towards the window; he opens the window little wider. He successfully puts one foot inside, he tries the other one, but his boot lace is caught on a tile. He curses at the tile, and he pulls at his leg. He gives it one big pull, resulting in his falling backwards, onto the floor. So much for the quiet entry, he could hear her coming up the stairs. He quickly scrambles to his feet, she was going to burst through that door and hell was going to break lose. He had to shut her up first. He dives for behind the door as it opens. He flattens himself against the wall, as she burst into the room. She looks round, gun in hand. What was going to do, shoot him? She rests her arms by her side; he steps out behind her, grabbing her round the waist and grabbing the gun. She jumps back against him, he applies pressure to her pressure point on her hand and she lets go of the gun. She goes to say something, but he covers her mouth, kicking the door shut behind him.

Jack: "Now! Shut up, and let me speak"

She sighs, leaning back against him and crossing her arms.

Jack: "I'm sorry for hitting you, I shouldn't have let my feelings get the better of me, and I shouldn't have called you a bitch"

He removes his hand from her mouth, and removes his arm from around her waist. She steps away from him, turning and facing him as she sits down on the bed. He looks round the room, he hadn't notice he'd come into her bedroom. He looks at her sighing; he shoves his hands into his pockets and steps towards her.

Sam: "Well, I'm sorry for hitting you and calling you a moron" Jack: "I think I call you worser things than that, like a slut for one"

He looks down at the floor, avoiding eye contact with her. She stands up moving to the window, and closing it a little. He looks up at her; she was smiling and coming towards him.

Sam: "You know the front door isn't lock" Jack: "I think if I've taught you something, it's about making a good entrance"

She frowns at him; she shakes her head passing him to the door. She opens it and gestures for him, to go through. He nods his head, taking one last look at the room and stepping out onto the landing. Sam follows him out, shutting the door behind her.

Sam: "Now that were not mad at each other, I guess you wanna talk" Jack: "Well, it is why I came over here" Sam: "Let's go talk in the lounge"

He nods his head, following her down the stairs. She gets to the bottom, turning into the lounge and sitting down on the couch. Jack stops at the doorway, noticing the room in a sort of a state; he sits down in the arm chair. He looks at the things lying around on the floor, and then at Sam. He got a better look at her lip now, a well form bruise and a tiny cut. He frowns at himself, and looks down at his hands.

Jack: "Daniel spoke to me, before I came over here. Well, actually he told me to come over" Sam: "So you don't really want to be here?" Jack: "No, no. I wanna be here, I wouldn't have come otherwise"

She folds her legs up next to her, leaning onto the arm of the couch and looking at him. He seats back into the chair, his hands playing with the zipper on his jacket.

Jack: "He told me about your conversation you had, yesterday" Sam: "Oh, right?"
Jack: "He told me, I'm blind. For not, seeing why you lashing out at me? I know you care about me, and you know I care about you, right?" Sam: "Yeah"
Jack: "Well, I thought if I went, you could move on. At least you could have a chance at life, not wasting it waiting for me to retire or something like that"

He looks up at her; she was on the brink of tears again. He quickly moves over to her, and seat beside her, placing a hand over her hand. She looks at him, she bites her bottom lip. She jerks, holding her lip with her hands. Jack frowns; he removes her hands, trying to take a look at her lip. It was bleeding again; a little blood was running down her chin. He wipes it away with his thumb, brushing with the tip of his thumb, over her lip. She looks at him; he looks at his thumb, covered in her blood. He quickly sucks his thumb, and looks at her, returning his hand to hers.

Jack: "I don't want to go, but I can't stand this anymore. I want to be with you, to touch your face, hold your hand in public" He chuckles to himself. "I want to take you shopping, watch you try on all theses cloths and ask me for my opinion" Sam: "Ask you for your opinion? You'd probably say I look good in anything" Jack: "I would. Sam, I can't stand being your CO anymore, it hurts when I see you drive home at night, because I want to go home with you, be the one you see when you come home" Sam: "So, how could you possible do that, when you'll be in Detroit?"

Jack turns away from her, removing his hand from hers and goes back to the armchair. She looks at him a little confused. He starts clenching fists, making his knuckles turn white.

Jack: "Sam, I...I..." He shakes his head, standing up and heading to the door. "I've said what I wanted to say, so I should be going"

She jumps off the couch, cutting him off at the doorway. He frowns at her, he moves to pass her but she moves and blocks him. He sighs throwing his hands in the air, as he turns away from her.

Jack: "Sam, don't make this harder than it is" Sam: "This is already hard; we can't even express ourselves to each other. We try and then, we back down. Just tell me, how you feel?"

He whirls round on his heels, taking two big strides towards her. She stands her ground not moving.

Jack: "You want to know, how I feel?! I feel so much...I lo...I love you! Happy! I LOVE YOU!"

She smiles at him; she reaches out to him and touches his face. He reaches up, grabbing her hand with his. He turns his head towards her hand, and kisses the palm of her hand. He looks back at her, resting her hand on his chest, with his on top of it.

Sam: "I love you too"

He smiles at her, taking a step away from her and turning away. She moves away from the doorway, leaning on the arm of the couch. He turns round to face her.

Jack: "Yeah, well, that doesn't change our situation" Sam: "It does in a way"
Jack: "Sam, I'm your superior office. You would get court martial, or move from the S.G.C. I couldn't risk that for you, you live for that Stargate" Sam: "So do you"

He shakes his head at her, taking a step towards her and kneeling down in front of her. He smiles up at her, taking her hand in his hand.

Jack: "I used to live for Charlie and Sara. The Charlie died, and I shut down. I bloke everyone I loved, and anyone who cared for me, out. But then I was offer a suicide mission" Sam: "The first mission through the gate" Jack: "Yeah, but then Daniel opened my eyes. Well, actually he had a big argument with me, but that's another story. Then I came back here, spent 2 years getting my head sorted. I started my life over again, getting divorced from Sara, so she could start her life again. And they came, the bloody Air Force came knocking at my door. Then you came into my life, Daniel came back and then big guy join my life. Can't forget Teal'c, the man who we can never shut up"

She starts giggling; he smiles at her as he moves a little closure. She regains her composure, and waits for him to continue.

Jack: "I didn't go round, looking for love but it found me. You found me, if it wasn't for you. I'd probably being the most ignoring person in the universe"

She shakes her head at him; he raises an eyebrow waiting for her to say something.

Sam: "Aposhis's already been dubbed that. The man just won't die"

He chuckles looking at her, and then at the floor.

Jack: "Anyway, I get up in the morning hoping to see your face, your smile or anything that belongs to you. I live for you, so you see I can live the Stargate project because I know you'll be there. You might be a phone call away, but you there" Sam: "Yeah, but there would weeks on end, when you couldn't reach me or the others. You'd go mad, not knowing if we were alright"

Jack stands up, crossing to the front door. She stands up and follows him out. He opens the door, and steps out onto the pouch.

Jack: "That's a point, why I should stay. But there are so many reasons, why I should go"

She leans against the doorway; he steps off the pouch and walks off down the driveway. He looks over his shoulder; he gives her a little wave and disappears behind the brushes. She sighs, as she hears his truck start up and slowly appears from behind the brushes. He doesn't even look at her, and drives off. She turns back into the house, shutting the door behind her. She didn't know what to do? Cry or be happy?
Jack slept better last night, than he had in years. It was if a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. The doors open on the elevator, he steps out the elevator, stuffing his hands into his pockets. He was happy, that him and Sam had talk and gotten something's off their chests. If he hadn't of left yesterday, he'd probably been crying all over her flood, but he wants to be strong for her. Be the one she depends on, when she needs someone. But as he was going he couldn't be that person. He opens his office door, taking off his jacket and throwing it over the boxes. They were everywhere, there was only a little pathway leading up to his desk, and the rest of the floor being occupied by boxes. He didn't want to go, he felt at home here and it felt as if he actually belonged here. He picks the letter and memos up out of his tray and the mug on his desk. He turns towards the door, heading to the commissary for his morning coffee. The commissary was busy; people were sat around chatting and laughing with one another. He smiles nodding to some AF's he knew, picking the coffee pot up and pouring some into his mug. He replaces it and heads back out the door. He just gets outside the door, when a very filmily voice, calling after him. He turns round to come face to face with Daniel. He smiles at him, and gestures for him to follow.
Daniel: "So, how did it go with Sam?"
Jack: "Good"
Daniel: "Is that it, good?"

Jack chuckles turning into his office, he places his mug down on the desk and sits down in his seat. Daniel shuts the door, looking round for a seat and them opting for a box. Jack throws the memos and letters into the bin. Daniel sits there staring at him. Jack leans onto his desk, running a hand through his hair.

Daniel: "So, did you say anything that would make you stay?" Jack: "Daniel, don't start with me. I've already got an argument going on in my head" Daniel: "Who's winning?"
Jack: "Neither"

Daniel stands up, opening the door and then looking at Jack.

Daniel: "She'll miss you, and you'll kick yourself silly, if something happens to her and your not there"

With that, Daniel walks out leaving Jack by himself. That had hit him, if she got hurt and he could have done something to prevent it. But then he wouldn't be there. He bangs his fist off the table, standing up and storming off to Hammond's office.

He stops out side the door, but shakes his head and bursts into the room. Hammond looks up from his paper work, and then looks back down at it. Jack stands there, leaning forward onto the table, to be eye level with him. Hammond looks up, sighing he closes the file and sits back in his seat.

Jack: "I want to stay. I don't want that flaming position" Hammond: "I knew you wouldn't"
Jack: "Knew what?"
Hammond: "That you would decided to stay, jack this place wouldn't be the same with out you. Too many of the younger officer's look up to you, and one has very bad taste in men. I tell ya, if I didn't know her father" Jack: "Sir?"
Hammond: "Yes, Jack"
Jack: "There's one condition"
Hammond: "Well, before your demand, I think we should celebrate" He picks the phone up, and dials an extension. "Commissary, break it out. He's staying"

Hammond smiles at him, as he replaces the phone and folds his arms in front of him. Jack smiles back at him, sitting down in a seat.

Daniel and Teal'c enter Sam lab, to find her cursing at her computer as usual. Daniel taps on the door frame, drawing her attention towards them. She smiles at them, turning her monitor off and standing up. Daniel takes a step towards her, and leaning down on the counter, in front of him. Sam pats him on the shoulder, as she grabs her shirt from the back of her chair.

Sam: "Lunch, I swear time flies when your having fun" Daniel: "Yeah, by now Jack should have had all his things sent to his new posting"

Sam sighs, as she passes him towards the door. Daniel stands up, and follows her to the door. Teal'c steps out of the way; Sam grabs hold of the door handle and waits for Daniel to leave. He slips pass her into the corridor, and she closes the door.

They turn the corner to the commissary, to find the door shut and sound of murmur music, coming from with in. Sam and Daniel look at one another; Sam reaches out and opens the door. The room was full of people, who were laughing, talking and dancing. They step into the room, they were all very confused. Did they miss something? Hammond shakes someone's hand; he notices them by the doorway. He smiles at them; he crosses the room to them holding his hands out to them.

Hammond: "Major, Dr Jackson and Teal'c. Join the party; we've some celebrating to do" Sam: "Sir, what's going on? What we celebrating?" Hammond: "Colonel O'Neill's decided to stay!"

He looks round the room, recognising someone he walks off to greet them. Sam looks at Daniel and then at Teal'c. Was it true? Was he staying for good? Teal'c raises an eyebrow, and wanders off into the room. Daniel and Sam look around the room, Daniel spot an empty table and starts herding her towards it. They sit down, someone places some drinks in front of them. Sam picks it up, and downs it in one. Then picking up Daniel's, and drinking that in one. She was speechless and so was Daniel.

The party was over, everyone had left accept for Daniel, Sam and Teal'c. Who were seated at a table, the table covered in bottles. They hadn't seen Jack for the whole party. Sam leans down onto the table, resting her head on her hands. Daniel just stares at the table top, picking at something that was sticking up and Teal'c, well he was just staring at them. Jack opens the door, leading into the commissary. He left halfway through the party, he went looking for the rest of his team, but couldn't find them, and now he knew why. He smiles at them, as he steps into the room, shutting the door behind him. Teal'c looks over at him; he nods his head to him as Jack approaches the table. Jack briefly nods at him, as he pulls the chair out next to Sam. He sits down next to her; she glances at him but takes no notice of him, at first. She looks back down at the table, ignoring him at first. He looks at Teal'c, given him a brief smile and then looking back at Sam. She sits up straight, slowly turning her head to face him.

Jack: "Well, you could at least be glad to see me" Sam: "You...you...I just get head, used to idea your leaving! And now you decide to stay! Can't you ever make your bloody mind up?!"

Daniel drops his head into his hands, shaking his head as he looks down at the table.

Daniel: "Please, not again. If they start fighting, I'm not stopping them" Jack: "Carter? I...thought you wanted me to stay?" Sam: "Huh! The way you left yesterday, you said there were too many reasons for you to leave!"

Jack stands up, walking away from the table, as he rubs his face. Teal'c stands up, pulling Daniel out of his chair.

Teal'c: "Daniel Jackson, I believe we should leave O'Neill and Major Carter alone" Daniel: "Yeah, you might be right"

Daniel pats Sam on the back as he passes her, he smiles at Jack as he pulls him closure to him and whispers something into his ear.

Daniel: "I'm glad you're staying but you'll have to tell her everything"

Daniel pats him on the shoulder, and then follows Teal'c out the door, closing it behind him. Jack sighs, shoving his hands into his pockets as he sits on the edge of table. Sam gets up, crossing her arms and paces up and down in front of him. She quickly glances at him, now and again shaking her head. She stops, placing her hands on her hips.

Sam: "You are so...arrogant!"
Jack: "Oh, come on! I would have thought, at least you could come up, with something better than that!" Sam: "Don't start with me! So, what change your mind?" Jack: "Does it really matter?"
Sam: "It does to me"

Jack sighs, pushing himself off the table and stepping towards her. She folds her arms, trying to protective herself for the worse. He notices her defences going up, and decides just to spill it.

Jack: "You want to know, the reason I want to stay is because...because of you"

She frowns, but her arms and her defences drop. He turns away from her, resting his hands on his hips and looking up at the ceiling. She steps towards him, resting a hand on his shoulder.

Jack: "Daniel was talking to me this morning. He told me, I would kick myself silly, if something would ever happen to you. If I weren't there, I don't know what I would do?"

He turns round, her hand slipping down to his hand. She smiles at him, he briefly smiles and then steps pass her.

Jack: "Sam...I couldn't stand to lose you. I don't know, what I was thinking when I accept it. I knew it was for a reason, but it wasn't for the right reasons. You see..." He turns round to face her. "I need you. You probably, don't need..." Sam: "Now that's not true. I need you a hell lot more. I don't know, what I would have done with out you"

She steps towards him, he tries to step away but she grabs his shirt, pulling him towards her.

Sam: "Stop running away from me. You do that all the time" Jack: "Do what?"
Sam: "You open up, then shut down and run away" Jack: "No, I don't"
Sam: "Huh! That's funny, you tell me, that you can't live without me. Then I try to comfort you, and you turn away from me"

He sighs resting his head on her shoulder; she runs her hand through the hair, on the back of his neck. He wraps his arms round her waist, pulling her closure to him. He looks up at her, smiling at her slightly. He leans towards her slightly, and then ever so lightly kisses her. She moves her hands to the back of his head, pulling him deeper into the kiss. They pull away from each other, resting their foreheads together.

Sam: "What the hell are we going to do?" Jack: "Theirs not a lot we can do, unless I retire or one of us moves" Sam: "So, in another word..."
Jack: "Not a lot. We just have to carry on as before. But with one change"

She leans back a little, getting a better look at his face. He was smiling at her, with a little mischievous twinkle in his eye.

Jack: "Well, I did have a condition, if I was going to stay" Sam: "What would that be?"
Jack: "That me and you would be allow to see each other. But we have to keep it off base"

She frowns at him, pushing him away as she steps away. She rubs her face, trying to take in what he said. She looks round the room, and then back at him.

Jack: "Didn't you hear me. Look I wasn't even being subtle about either, so you can't use that against me" Sam: "No, no. I heard you the first time" Jack: "And?"
Sam: "What do you mean, and? I'm a little shocked, and your asking me `and" Jack: "Well, I kind of...This so stupid I feel like a bloody teenager. Sam, I love you and I want to be with you. Now, we have nothing in our way, we can see each other as much as we like now" Sam: "Just one thing"
Jack: "What?"
Sam: "I like to have a glass of wine at dinner"

He chuckles at her, reaching out for her and pulling her into a hug. He kisses her on the cheek, and rests his head on her shoulder. She smiles, pulling him closure to her. She could feel a tear slowly fall down her cheek. They stood like that for a while, until the alarm sounded and they were back to work. Running down the corridor, towards the elevator and going down into the further depths, of the S.G.C.

The End

Feedback welcome

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katmellie