Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Baby Troubles

by Katmellie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Baby Troubles

Baby Troubles

by Katmellie

Summary: Jack is confronted with the hardest of challenges, forcing to put aside his own feelings on the matter, as SG-1 are put on babysitting duty.
Category: Hurt/Comfort
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/11/04

Title: Baby Troubles Author: Katmellie (StargateLover69) Email: Katmellie@AOL.com (StargateLover69@Yahoo.co.uk) Category: Comforting. Spoilers: None Season: Season Six Summary: Jack is confronted with the hardest of challenges, forcing to put aside his own feelings on the matter, as SG-1 are put on babysitting duty. Disclaimer: All publicity recognizable characters and places are the property of MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. This piece of fan fiction was created for entertainment, no monetary purposes and no infringements on copyrights or trademarks were intended. Previously unrecognised characters and places, and this story, are copyright to the author. Any similarity to real persons, living or dead, is coincidental and not intended by the author. Website: http://www.geocities.com/stargatelover69/

********************************************************************************************

Buttoning up the buttons on my shirt, I was actually quite happy and relax after my long shower in the Locker room, getting prepared for a day at work. With things the way they were lately, going home has been a privilege, as I've been forced to stay on base with things quickening up around the SGC. Doesn't make any odds to me. I just stay in my quarters on level six. My home from home if you will.

The doors opened in front of me and I stepped out of the way, as Siler and his merry men wheeled some contraption into the elevator. They must have just come from Carter's lab; she'd been in there a lot lately. Almost seeming as though she'd been hiding from me these past two days. I decided to pop in on her, check she was okay and that. Just like I would for Daniel and Teal'c. As I strolled down the gray corridor towards her lab, I heard distant cries of a small infant, (couldn't be possible), and frustrated chattering going on.

Turning into her lab, whilst I shook my head at myself, I came face to face with a sight for sore eyes, that sometimes plagued me in my dreams. Carter was stood over her desk, reading through a colorful book on something, her hand resting just above her hip with her legs crossed over one another, while she leant down onto her workstation. Her backside was on view for all, with her pants hugging it tightly. My heaven!

Jonas was pacing about the room with something in his arms, shushing it, as he turned round to face me. The baby was red in the face, crying its little heart out for attention that Jonas couldn't give it.

"What's going on?" I asked from the doorway, keeping myself at a comfortable distance from the baby.

Carter spun round from her workstation, her hand threading in with her hair, as she looked from me to the baby. "Erm... Oh crap." She cursed. "Okay, sir. We've been trying to keep the baby away from you. SG-9 brought her back with them two days ago, when they found her hidden in the underbrush near the 'gate. She gone through all the checks, she isn't a Goa'uld trap or anything. I just thought you wouldn't want... to have to deal with this kind of thing."

I covered my ears up, as the baby shriek, and Carter rushed over to Jonas, taking the infant from him, as he said. "We've been trying to get her to stop crying, but she just won't settle. And none of the books have helped us."

My feet were moving, before it even registered with my head, to take the baby from Carter. She stopped me, turning away from me. "You're not going to break her like you do my doohickeys, are you?"

She handed the baby over to me with a cheeky smile, placing her carefully into my cradling arms. I shushed the baby, rocking her in my arms with her cries subsiding. After a few seconds, there was complete silence in the room, apart from the buzzing of the equipment in Carter's lab. I smiled down at the baby, stroking a finger against the soft skin of her cheek.

Someone placed their hand on my shoulder; I glanced over my shoulder to see Jonas. "How did you do that, Colonel?"

"Charlie was just the same." I blurted out, gazing at the baby in my arms. "When he was first born, he wouldn't stop crying for no one but me. He was such a menace when he was a baby."

"Who's Charlie, sir?" Jonas asked, causing me to freeze on the spot. Carter pulled Jonas away from me, saying something to him as I stood there, looking down at the baby. I turned quickly, putting the baby into Carter's arms before I hightailed it out of there. The baby's cries were following me down the corridor, as she cried in Carter's arms.

********************************************************************************************

Sat behind my desk in my office, I examined Charlie's picture in my desk draw. The odd tear dropped off my cheek to splashed down onto his picture. Wiping them away with the sleeve of my shirt, I then wiped them from my face when the door burst opened. I shoved the photo into the draw, slamming it shut as I stood up, finding Carter and the infant invading my office. Carter looked like she was on the brink of tears from the hollering of the baby in her arms.

She came towards my desk, shoving the baby into my arms, causing me to juggle with the baby till I got her securely held in my arms, with Carter saying. "Can you look after her for an hour? I've got to pop down to the Gate room. They've got some problem as usual."

Carter put a bag down onto the table, smiling at me in that way she does when she wants something, and usually she'll get it too. She was out of my room before I could even protest. That woman knew me too well. Executing the 'Quick Attack' on me. Rush in and out before he has chance to say anything.

I inspected the baby at arms length, sitting back down in my chair, as the baby gurgled at me. Even the kid knew how to get at me, playing the cute and irresistible card on me.

"So kid, do you have a name?" I asked her.

She only gurgled some more as I wiped, with the bid around her neck, at the dibble traveling down her chin. "So we don't have name, do we? Okay then, well... I'll call you Sam for now, as it's bisexual, and of course, 'cause it's my favorite name."

Cradling her against my chest, I began to walk around the room, singing 'Ba ba black sheep' to her. (The only nursery rhyme that I will admit to knowing.) The door opened again, as I got her to dose off a bit, and Teal'c came in, giving me a funny look indeed.

"O'Neill, there is... an unwelcoming smell in your office." Teal'c commented, raising that disgusted eyebrow of his.

Frowning, I looked from Teal'c to the baby and then held her up to smell her. Oh yeah! We certainly had an unwelcoming smell in this office. Houston, we have a deposit in the nappy.

********************************************************************************************

I sat in the commissary, it was quiet as lunch had finished an hour ago and everyone had gone back to work, eating some lunch. After calling the Mess Hall staff, I'd managed to get one of them to save me some lunch and had them whip something up that I could feed the baby. Cleaning Sam's face with a napkin, the doors to the commissary flapped opened, with Carter and Jonas coming in. They looked at me, all the tension on their faces vaporized, as they came to sit down at the table with Sam and me.

Carter sat down opposite me, smiling at something; I wasn't sure what it was, as she said. "You haven't seen Teal'c, have you, sir?"

"The last time I saw him, he was running for his life away from my office." I said with a chuckled, getting a questioning look from Jonas and Carter. "I was changing Sam at the time."

Carter's eyebrows rose at me, waiting for me to explain. "Well... I couldn't just go about calling her baby all day. And... Sam's bisexual."

"Right...?" Carter said, letting it drop, and changed the subject. "I can take... Sam now, if you want."

"No," I said, shifting Sam on my knee and pulling her top down. "It's quite alright. You've probably got some work to do..."

Carter shook her head at me. "No, no. It can wait." She told me, as she reached across the table to touch Sam's face. "I can easily get someone else to do."

Oh... So when I ask her to come my cabin with me, it's not easy then. But when there's a baby about, she can easily make the time to take care of it. It wouldn't kill her to once in awhile to take some time off, from work and relax somewhere. Just because we would be going to a very secluded part of Minnesota, doesn't mean anything would happen between us. Just because there would be only one bathroom, doesn't mean I would walk in on her, on purpose.

We spend more time in cells together than we do anywhere else. When a moment comes along, where I can just jump her, doesn't mean I will. I respect her. But yet, when it comes to me, she's more than happy to throw me aside. When there's a baby involved, she's ready to give work up.

Collecting Sam's things together, I slung the bag over my shoulder getting up out of my seat, holding Sam close to my chest. "How come Carter, when I ask you to go to my cabin, so you can get away from this place and have a relaxing holiday, you can't give up work? That hurt's."

I left them sitting there, with their mouths gawping at my empty chair, while I headed topside to give Sam some fresh air. She needed it. I know these things; I used to be a twenty-four hour parent.

********************************************************************************************

The afternoon was warm, as I sat on the back of my truck, telling Sam about my latest fishing trip. At least one Sam would get to hear about it. I glanced up the road towards the checkpoint, noticing the footpath gate opening, as an Airman saluted someone. The distance that I was from the checkpoint, I couldn't quite make them out. I had needed to get away from the base, but I couldn't go too far as I was suppose to be on duty and had an alien baby in my care. Well... she wasn't alien but she was from somewhere else.

Waving a toy in front of Sam's face, I cooed at her and laughed when she tried to reach out for the toy, missing it by miles. Something thudded against the side of my truck, looking round I found Carter was leaning on the side panel of my truck, watching me keenly with the baby. I thought I saw a hint of lust in her eyes, but it wasn't there when I looked again.

"You're really good with her." She commented, joining me on the back of the truck.

"Yeah, so?" I said, keeping Sam as far away from Carter. "What you come up 'ere for? Thought you had work to do?"

Carter sighed loudly, holding her head with her hands. "I came up to tell you, that SG-9 has just returned back from her planet. They found her parents." She said sorrowfully. "I'm here to take her down, so they can take her back... Unless you want to go with them and take her back?"

With every word I held Sam tighter to my chest, fearing the worst as she told me they were taking Sam back to her planet. I knew I should never have gone by Carter's lab that morning, then I wouldn't have been lumber with Sam and I wouldn't be feeling that they were trying to take Charlie away from me. That was why over the years, I've tried to keep away from kids. But they just don't seem to leave me alone. It's like they are attracted me like moths are to bright lights.

It's much more easier to deal with, when they have the use of their two legs and speak, choosing to leave me on their own accord. But when it comes to Sam, I know she has no idea what's going on around her. Just that the warm presence that's been with her all morning and part of the afternoon, has been the most calming and secure, she's been in since arriving at the SGC.

Hopping off the back of my truck, I palmed Sam off to Carter and quickly stuffed Sam's things into the bag, lassoing it over Carter's head while she stood beside my truck after getting off the back. She watched with curiosity, as I slammed up the back panel and locked it into place.

"You better take her down." I ordered more than suggested. "I've got to go. I'm not feeling too good." With that said, I jumped into the cab of my truck and got out of there, hearing in my head Sam cry out for me. When she really was crying out for her parents.

The bar was quiet with the jukebox playing away to an almost empty room. I'd been sat there for a good hour after driving around for about two hours. My beer was flat and half empty while I rolled a peanut between my hands, flattening out my troubles and worries under the small peanut. The bartender had given me a funny look, when I'd come through the doors in my BDU's. It wasn't often I turned up in our local hang out, dressed for work.

I was always the one who would more than likely be dressed in civvies. Carter was the one who was forever turning up in her BDU's, her hair all ruffled from rushing down from the mountain, trying to prove to someone that she could get away from work on time. But she could only do it, if she didn't change before leaving and raced down the mountain like a maniac.

I sighed heavily and flicked the peanut off the table, hitting the leg of nearby stool, deflecting the peanut off into some dark corner of the bar. A helmet was placed down onto the table in front of me, startling me from my one dimension thinking. She played with her hair, sitting down in the seat across from me.

"What'd that peanut do to you then?" She asked humorously, smiling at me as she moved her helmet further up the table.

"Oh, not much. Just wasn't much of a talker." I said, trying to match her mockery.

She nodded her head, inspecting my half empty glass of beer before getting up out of her seat, taking the glass with her. I watched her go over to the bar, ordering some drinks as she sat on the edge of a barstool. It was always the same thing whenever she went to the bar, leaving Daniel, Teal'c and myself to watch out for her. Guys would always find some reason to drift over to her, to start a conversation with her and try and fill my boots. Not that I thought Carter was mine.

Carter carefully placed a fresh glass of beer in front of me, sipping at her own as she retook her seat, saying. "Sam got back safe, by the way. Her parents wanted to thank everyone who'd taken care of her. So, a big pat on the backs for all of us."

"Carter," I murmured to grab her attention, though I said it so quietly she still heard me and leaned further across the table to hear me. "It felt like I was losing Charlie all over again earlier. Even in that small amount of time that I had with her, it reminded me of the time I had with Charlie. When he was little."

"It's okay." Carter said, reaching across to cradle my hand, making me thankful that she hadn't called me by my title. "I understand. There's no need to explain." I patted the top of her hand that was holding mine, smiling at her across the table. I was lucky to have someone like her as my friend. God knows I'd thrown all my friends away when Charlie died.

Taking a deep breath, I climbed out of the booth while searching my pocket for my wallet. I left a twenty on the table and ambled towards the exit with Carter at my side, with her helmet under her arm. We crossed the car park together to my truck, where I suddenly felt like I was on a date. Unsure of what exactly I was supposed to do. Was I to kiss her on the cheek and wish her good night, like Daniel would do, or do I give her a manly punch to her shoulder and tell her I'll see her in the morning, like I would do to Teal'c.

Confused and frustrated I zapped my truck to open, playing with my keys in my hands as she touched my shoulder and tiptoed up to kiss me on the cheek. It felt weird but nice at the same time.

"Don't worry, sir. We'll get through it together." And with that, she left me there to watch her zoom off on her bike, waving at me as she turned out of the car park and onto the road. I always hated to watch her leave.

I smiled down at my keys and got into my truck, finding one of Sam's toys on the passenger seat beside me. I knew for a fact that it wasn't there earlier. I'd kept her things together so I wouldn't lose them. Picking up the toy to inspect it, a note was tied around the furry little animal's neck by a red ribbon. I held the note whilst I read it.

'When the time is right and there is nothing holding us back, you'll be a father once again. And you'll be as good as you were before, so stop blaming yourself and think of the future. I promise, there will be a future for us. Just wait and see.

S.C."

My smile broadened with an escaping tear, running down my cheek to fall onto my shirt. 'That sneaky little devil.' I thought to myself, starting my truck's engine to drive home for the night.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katmellie