Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Couples In Love.

by Katmellie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Couples In Love.

by Katmellie

Summary: When couples are in love, they stick together through the thick and thin, through the hard times. But are they supposed to stick together, when they aren't in love? When couples aren't in love they. What?
Category: Future Story, POV, Romance
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG-13
Warnings: adult themes, minor language, sexual situations
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 02/14/04

**********************************************************************

Songs used: Celine Dion - I surrender Prince - I Would Die 4 You

Author's notes: Okay, the thing about the clutch and the engine purring, I have no idea whether it can do that but it sounded good at the time, so I put it in there. I wrote this because I re-watched Chimera and found I hated Pete more and more. That smile!!! It's so annoying!!! Nothing against the actor, Dom DeLuise's son, but that character gets on MY NERVES!!! Cheesy smile, mean anything to anyone!!! Probably why his ex left him in the first place. Fed with turning over and seeing his mug in the morning. Enjoy though!!!

******************************************************************

It was kind of weird, even now after so long, that he was gone. One day he was there and the next he was gone. He never said goodbye to me, I don't know whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, but I wished I'd had the chance to talk with him for one last time. Instead of our last conversation being about budget cuts and the team assessment reports.

The days leading up to his disappearance, he hadn't acted weird or even out of place. He hadn't gone around, saying goodbye to people or inviting them around his house for a quiet drink. He'd just upped and left. And I regretted the fact that he was gone. The Colonel had missed out on so much.

I shook my head at the reflection in the rear view mirror, when I'd taking the chance to look behind me. It was nighttime and I was on my way to the mountain, after being called in for some unexpected problem. Though when was a problem expectant? I'd never expected myself to fall for my CO, causing more problems for us both. But that could never be and we knew it.

Parking in my spot in the almost deserted car park, I hiked my dress up as I got of my car, dressed ready for the party that night, celebrating our twentieth year of fighting the Goa'uld. Mostly it was to celebrate the fact that we were still here.

I leaned up the side of the car, removing my heels to put my sneakers on that were hiding on the back seat, underneath my gym bag that I'd forgotten to take out earlier. It was all Pete's fault. He kept going on and on about Maggie wanting something, so when I was clearing out the car with him, shouting at me from the back door, I'd totally forgot about it. He did get on my nerves most days, but I moseyed on through, taking the good and the bad with him. It's what couples do. Couples that are in love do.

As I crossed to the elevator, I saw some men come out of the elevator, they hadn't noticed me but I'd noticed them. They were mumbling and bantering to each other, getting into the mini van that was waiting for them, with the engine running. I heard a voice that made my heart jump a beat and made me quicken my step. Was it he? Did he just come out of the SGC? Where was he going? Where had he been?

By the time I'd reached the back of the mini van, they'd pulled away with the door closing. I watched the van drive off towards the checkpoint, scrutinising the van for a glimpsed of him. Hoping that I might see his face. I didn't see him as the van was engulfed into the darkness of the night, its engine roaring away into the distance.

I sighed down at the ground, trudging the short distance to the lift. Slowly my heart came back down, landing back into its own little cage, keeping it locked away and safe. Safe from something I wasn't sure about. I pressed the call button, waiting a few seconds for it to climb its way back up and let me in. It was warm in the lift as I stepped inside, stabbing a button on the control panel. I needed to accept the fact that he was gone like Janet. He didn't want to be found. I had to move on for the sake of my heart.

***********************************************************************

After fixing a minor glitch with the dialling program, I finally was able to get on my way to the party and join Pete - oh joy - who would be there already waiting for me. Entering the hotel lobby, I gave my hair the once over, checking my appearance in a window as I passed it. People I knew and people I didn't know, were all congregating outside the Dining Hall, waiting to be let in so they could all be seated.

I saw him before he saw me, I always did. I wouldn't say I detested him touching me or looking at me, or even lying beside me in bed. But when I saw him, there was nothing. He didn't do anything for me anymore, not in that way. Once I used to long to be in his presence, but now all I wanted to do, was get away from him as soon as possible. But that weren't what couples did; couples who were in love like we were.

Coming up behind him, I smiled at Daniel and Teal'c and placed my hand gently on Pete's shoulder. He jumped at my touch, angling himself round to see me and smiled. I smiled back, holding back the grimace. I loved him. I shouldn't feel that way.

"We were wondering," Pete started to say, indicating towards Teal'c and Daniel with his drink. "...When exactly you'd get here. They both thought you were gonna miss it, but I knew you'd make it, honey."

"How'd you know that then, Pete?" I asked, taking a glass of champagne from a server as they passed me.

"Well of course, it's my irresistible charm." He chuckled to himself. Daniel glanced away, sipping at his orange juice, and took no notice of Pete. I couldn't blame him.

Teal'c bowed his head and wandered off, mingling through the people in search of someone he knew. Daniel smiled and excused himself, squeezing passed me to go some people who'd called him over. I dreamt about going with him, but my place was with Pete. We were in love and that was what loving couples did. Stuck together.

Sighing, I took a sip of my champagne, wanting to dull the harsh sight of my partner as I glanced up at Pete's face while his eyes darted around the room, pointing out all the military brass to me. He was acting like a child in a sweet store. Now if it were someone else, other than him, I would have found it amusing or cute even in one case, but him doing it was pathetic.

"Hey, Sam." A voice said behind me.

I turned round with a full-blown smile; glad to see Cassie had come. "Cassie! Oh, it's good to see you!"

I wrapped my arms around her and gave her a squeezing hug, enjoying the sensations of hugging someone for real, hugging someone that I loved. She gently patted me on the back and I released her from my constrictive hold. Putting one of my arms around her shoulders, I led her away from Pete but he didn't seem to care.

He was off snooping around a General, counting the medals on the man's chest. I loved him for it. That was what a loving couple did. Loved the traits of their partner that were annoying to other's, even if they were worse than nails on a blackboard. And he was annoying, every day he annoyed me and got on my nerves.

Cassie took a champagne flute from a waiter, who came in the opposite direction to us. "How's Maggie?"

"Oh, she's good. She's gonna be starting kindergarten soon." I said, beaming a smile that showed how proud I was of my daughter.

"God! She's growing fast!" Cassie said astonished. "Last time I saw her, she was just learning to walk."

"You should come round and see her. Stay a few days or something." I suggested as we sat down, out of the way of the hustling and bustling of the partygoers. "We need to catch up."

Cassie looked down at her glass of champagne with a pained expression. "I can't. There's too many memories 'ere. First mum went and then Jack's disappearance seven years ago. There's nothing left for me 'ere, apart from Teal'c, Daniel and you. But that isn't enough for me to stay in Colorado. It's too painful 'ere."

I slid my arm around her back, coaxing her to rest her head onto my shoulder. I understood what she was going through. I'd lost my mom, my best friend and my Colonel. Nothing, it seemed, would be bringing them back.

Someone called for everyone to take their seats, at their tables in the Dining Room. People began to amble their way into the room, as Cassie and I got up from our seats, taking one long gulp from our drinks. I wished I were at home with Maggie, without Pete. But we were loving parents. We cared about our daughter.

I inwardly groaned when Pete came out of the Dining Hall, smiling at Cassie and me as he took my arm, guiding me over to our table. Did I need a guide dog? I had two perfectly capable eyes that could see the sign, hanging over the VIP table. I wanted to get away from him. I screamed privately to myself, craving to yank my arm out of his hand. But that wasn't something a loving couple did.

Daniel and Teal'c were already sat at our table, with a few others who I smiled warmly at, as I sat down into my chair, with Pete pushing it in for me. Someone made the comment about him being such a gentleman, I let it wash over deaf ears and put my glass down onto the table. Daniel didn't look impressed that he was sat beside Pete, turning as much as he could in his seat, to put his back facing Pete.

I didn't say anything, listening to the chatter of the room whist Pete read the menu out to me. I wasn't just blind or couldn't guide my way through a room by myself without assistance, but I was also deaf as Pete raised his voice so I could hear him. Didn't he realise that I was sat beside him? That I didn't have a hearing aid plugged into my ear? I was like a foot away from him, shoulders brushing against one another when he moved towards me, leaning over to show me the menu. Oh, how I wished for a P90!

Downing the last of my champagne, I got up from my chair. "Excuse me, I'm gonna visit the ladies room."

"Ah! You know, you don't have to make yourself beautiful for me." Pete joked with only him getting it, chuckling into his napkin.

"Yes, dear." I said in a monotone voice. "Very funny. Be right back."

I thought for a split second that maybe Pete would object to me going by myself, telling me I needed assistance to get through the obstacle course of tables, as I was disabled. I might as well have been. That's all I've been for the past thirteen years.

Grumbling to myself, I crossed the Lobby to the ladies, knowing from last year that everyone would be using the bathrooms in the Dining Hall and there would be queues. I pushed opened the door, running into someone as they were coming out. The contents of her handbag spilled out onto the floor, making us both look down at the floor in horror.

I smiled apologetically at her; knelling down to help her put every thing back into her bag. "I'm sorry, that was clumsy of me."

"Don't worry about it." The young woman said to me. "No one got hurt." I smiled at her while I was beginning to become distracted, with the activity going on in the Lobby. Handing over her bag as we stood up, I held the door open for her and snuck a peek outside at the disturbance, when they came passed the doorway of the ladies room.

An officer jogged down the corridor towards the Dining Hall, buttoning up his dress jacket as he spun round on his heels, calling to the others that were lagging behind him. "Quick, sir! They're already sitting everyone down!"

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be there in a minute." A voice grumbled, showing how unbothered he was about being late.

My heart jumped with my hold on the door tightening. Was it he? Was he here? Could I last another minute without taking another breath? Another officer marched off towards the Dining Room, while five others took their time as they buttoned up buttons and tied their ties.

I held back a scream, placing a hand over my mouth, as I watched him walk by the ladies room, tucking his shirt into his pants under his dress jacket. He was a lot greyer than the last time I saw him, he'd lost his peppered look that I had loved so much, but I found I liked this look better. His hair spoke volumes of experience. His tan was as always a golden brown, complimenting his grey hair. There was a band-aid on his forehead, but apart from that, he was the same. Still the same gorgeous Colonel, I remembered. The same man who'd wished me goodnight, as I'd watched him drive away in his truck, and was never to be seen again.

I swallowed hard, letting the door go while I staggered through another door to be greeted with bright lights and a wall mirror. The quiet background music, playing in the room, was annoying me. It reminded me too much of Pete. But we were in love. Loving couples stuck together, and that was what we were doing. Loving couples, didn't love another in secret. I wasn't supposed to be in love with him anymore!

***********************************************************************

I made it back to the table on my own, proving I wasn't as disabled as Pete thought, while scanning the other tables for him. He was there somewhere. Hiding in and amongst the other tables. I sat down unsteadily into my seat, not really concentrating as I slipped off the edge of my seat. Pete grabbed me from behind while Cassie saved me, putting me back onto my seat. With my eyes combing the room, I nodded my head at their questions, trying to find him.

Someone, at the podium, tapped at a wine glass to gain the attention of the room, except for mine. Sitting more at the table, I sipped at my glass of water, my eyes secretly dashing off to inspect every table and every face. Cassie gave me a funny look; turning her head to look about the room to see if she could see what I was searching for. She turned back and looked at me, expecting me to explain to her why I was looking about room, like I was. I shook her question away, forcing my eyes to stare down at the tablecloth.

The person at the podium began to speak, blabbing on about something but I wasn't aware of what he was saying. The only thing I could comprehend, was the Colonel was there and I had to find him, even if it was just with my eyes. Just to see him would be a treat. To hear his voice would be a miracle, but I'd already heard it and I was already longing to hear it again.

"Sam," Pete whispered to me. "What you looking for, darling?"

I thought about turning around and tell him, about the person that I was in love. That wasn't him. But I shook my head, picking up my napkin. He let it drop. He always did that. I couldn't do anything wrong in his eyes. Too bad, when my father found out about Pete and I having a child, my father could see the wrong in me. It was like I had committed a sin or treason against him.

For the past six years, since my father came to see Maggie in the hospital, I haven't seen or spoken to my father. Not because I didn't want too. He wouldn't return my communications. He doesn't even come through the gate anymore to see me.

Rubbing a hand over my face, I rested forward onto the table as the servers began to come round and get our orders. One of the waiters whispered something to one of the people, sat at our table, causing them to shuffled round, making room while the waiter made another place at the table.

I heard someone approaching our table, from behind me, chuckling and whispering to someone. My back straightened, as I realised it was he. He was going to sit with us. He was about to sit three feet away from me, with Cassie between us. God help me!

Daniel and Teal'c watched in shock, as he sat down into the place set for him, setting his beer down onto a place mat. Cassie was staring at him, holding her napkin halfway up to her mouth. The annoying one wasn't bother, as he was chatting to one of the waiters, asking what such and such was on the menu. I smiled wildly, thanking God that the problem at the base had only been a minor one, so I hadn't missed this. He was breath taking.

"Hi... guys." Jack said unsure of him self, pulling his chair nearer to the table. "I can explain everything."

I didn't want an explanation. I wanted him to kiss me. No. I didn't. I was in a loving relationship. We have a daughter, a mortgage and share the same bed. That was a relationship. Not dreaming of something that wasn't there or could never happen. I was so screwed, royally.

"Well, well." Pete said, taking notice for the first time. "Look what the cat dragged in."

"Hi Pete." The Colonel sneered with his hands hiding underneath the table. "How're things? Good I hope. You're still here?"

Pete wiped at his mouth with his napkin before saying. "Why wouldn't they be? Sam and I have a kid now, we've got a future to plan together."

"Yeah, right. Anyway, I think I should explain the seven years that I disappeared." Jack said, preparing himself for the worse.

Daniel broke out of his trance. "It would be a good start, Jack."

"Indeed." Teal'c said; was that a smile I saw on his face?

Pete was commenting on something to me, trying to draw my endless gaze at the Colonel, locked on his eyes as they caught mine and made it seem, he was explaining it more to me than to the others, sat around the table.

"For the past seven years, I've been doing Special Ops missions and playing at a Squadron Leader for the Prometheus. They wanted the best and the available, so as I was transferring out of the SGC at the time. They swept me up and took me along for the ride."

"What was wrong with sending a letter or something, letting us know you were all right?" Cassie questioned while our eye contact stayed constant.

"I did try." He said with something sparkling in his eyes. "But we were moving around so much, if you had sent a reply I might not have gotten it."

I was tempted to reach across the table and take his hand, but I knew that wasn't what I was supposed to do. Was I supposed to be angry? Hate him for leaving? I could never hate him. Never. Not even if he'd kidnapped Maggie and threaten her life could I hate him. I wanted him so badly. A touch, a kiss or a seductive whisper in my ear, I wanted it all. I wanted him.

Daniel plucked his glasses off and cleaned them with his napkin. "Sam, you okay?"

Blinking my eyes, I compelled myself to break our connection, fiddling with something on the table. "I'm fine, Daniel. It's just so good to see the Colonel again."

Pete's face turned serious for a moment, I thought he'd finally realised my dark little secret when I saw the seriousness in his eyes. I was relieved when he began to search his suit, finding the vibrating contraption in the inside pocket of his dinner jacket. He excused himself as he answered his cell phone, taking it away from the table. I watched him moved to the corner of the room, talking to someone on the phone. Great, work wanted him to come in. That was what it was. It had to be. It better be.

Facing back round to the table, I found a plate of something placed in front of me and inspected it, wondering what the hell it was. There was some kind of fish under the green sauce, but it didn't tantalise my taste buds or my stomach. I looked at Pete's starter and found that to be more agreeing with my tastes. As I switched plates with his, I heard someone chuckled over the chinking of sliver wear, destroying the masterpieces that the kitchen staff had taken hours to prepare. Glancing over to Jack, he slurped his soup off his spoon, dipping it in for another spoonful. Normally, I hated it when people slurped but I couldn't prevent myself, from finding it cute.

There was a touched to my shoulder, as Pete whispered into my ear. "Sorry, Sam. I've gotta go. There's been an incident."

"Okay. Try not to wake Maggie when you come in, if you do come in tonight." I said, thinking he'd better not wake me either or there was going to be hell to pay, if he did.

"All right then. See you later." Pete said, kissing me on the forehead and waved goodbye to everyone as he left. There was an audible sigh around the table, making me wonder if any of my friends or colleagues actually liked Pete.

The others were yakking on about things, filling Jack in on what he'd missed. But looking up, he was staring at me. I could tell. Every spilt second, Jack would glance to me seductively. Well I at least thought it was. Sometimes it was so hard to tell what was going through his head. Picking up my fork, I observed him from the corner of my eye, nibbling at whatever it was that Pete had order for himself.

********************************************************************

The night was coming to an end and slowly everyone was leaving, collecting their coats and handbags before strolling out of the Dining Hall to go home for the night. We were all still sat around the table, laughing and chatting about old times and new times. It reminded me of the good old days, when we were a team. Since Jack left, SG-1 was disbanded and I took on a more prominent role in the Science department, heading the whole research and development section.

Slowly Daniel and Teal'c got up out of their seats, wishing everyone a good night and making Jack promise to come and see them sometime that week. I pulled up my dress as I stood up, yawning into the back of my hand, taking it as my point to leave before things went sour (if they could) and take back my duties of a parent from the babysitter.

Tucking my chair under the table, I found that everyone else on our table was leaving too. I crossed my arms over my chest, feeling a slight chill in the air as the hotel was closing down for the night, turning off all irrelevant lights and heaters. Cassie hooked her arm through my crossed arms, luring me closer to her as Jack draped his dress jacket over my shoulder, smiling at me when I angled my head up to look at him. How did he know I was feeling the cold?

"It's a bit chilly in 'ere." He answered my unasked question. Could he now read minds?

I unfolded one of my arms, grasping the edges of his dress jacket, loved from the warmth of his jacket. We moved through the Dining Hall and through the Lobby, coming out of the entrance to watch Daniel and Teal'c drive by and waved at us as we stood on the carpet, leading to the Entrance doors. The night was cool with a few cars, spotted around the car park before us. Light from the street lamps washed down onto the sidewalk and the car park to give us some safety in the dark.

Cassie motioned towards a car, parked a few yards away. "I better get going. Give me a call sometime and we can organise to meet up somewhere."

"Sure." Jack and I replied at the same time, scaring the hell out of Cassie. I glanced up at him to see his cocky smile. I loved that smile.

"Right..." Cassie said awkwardly. "See ya's later."

She wandered off while we stood there, looking at each other with stupid smiles. I became shy and gazed down at the ground, catching sight of the nametag sitting on his jacket. I often wondered about his name, saying it to myself when I was alone and no was about, putting my own name with it. Samantha O'Neill. It had a nice ring to it.

Cassie tooted her horn at us, waving goodbye to us as she drove passed. We waved back, knocking into each other when we moved forward at the same time. Looking at him, he still had that cocky smile on his face that made me want to giggle. Not a good thing to be doing at my age. Though I was feeling like I was teenager again, out on the first date, unsure as to what was going to happen at the end of it. Was he going to come home with me, was I going to go home with him or were we going to kiss and set another date to see each other.

He coughed into the back of his hand, touching the band-aid on his forehead with his other hand. "I'm gonna get a cab."

"Oh..." I murmured, my eyes darting from his face to his jacket and back again. "I could give you a ride, if you wanted?"

I was desperate. Wanting to stay with him for the night. But that wasn't what I was supposed to do. He laughed into the back of his hand; getting a joke I hadn't told or took something I said in another manner. (Men have such dirty minds!). Controlling his faculties, he straightened up and shoved his hands into the pockets of his pants.

"You sure? Haven't you got to get back to...Maggie?" Jack asked, seeming uncomfortable to say my daughter's name.

"Babysitter should be still with her. A few more minutes won't hurt her. She is getting paid by the hour." I said, beginning the short trek over to my new car.

He followed, his shoes clicking in time with my heels. I'd missed him so much. Words couldn't convey how much I'd missed him. Everyday I had wanted him to walk through my lab door, telling me he'd gone on some emergency mission and had been stranded on a planet, unable to find away home till then. Till, that moment, when he walked through my door.

Stooping down to the front tire of my car, I foraged for my keys, hidden behind the tire in a canny. I stood up, jangling my keys at him, activating the central locking system to open the doors. He shook his head smiling, opening the passenger door, as I got into the driver's seat. We shut our doors at the same time and buckled ourselves in, our hands brushing against one another. Staring at one another, I quickly thought of something to break the moment, because if I stared into his eyes any longer, I knew I would kiss him. And that was something I shouldn't be doing, as I was in a loving relationship.

I shrugged his jacket off and handed it over to him, trying not to creased it as I untangled myself from it. The Colonel thanked me, folding it over to lie on his lap. Starting the engine, it roared to life whilst I put it into gear, enjoying the fact that I had chosen a manual instead of the automatic. Two big pluses came with having a manual gearbox. One: I felt more in control. And two: Pete preferred his automatic gearbox to my manual one.

Going against the stereotypical way of leaving the car in gear, I released the handbrake and moved off from the parking space. Jack removed his tie and unbuttoned his collar, stuffing his tie into a pocket of his jacket. I turned out of the car park and coasted down to the red traffic lights, shifting gear as I waited for the lights to change.

"Didn't you know it was black tie this evening?" I asked, motioning towards his uniform with brief flick of my finger, from the hand I had hovering over the gear stick.

Glimpsing at his dress jacket, he rearranged it, saying. "No. We'd only gotten back tonight and were told we had to attend. There wasn't time to get my tux out, so I just grabbed something and changed in the van, as we drove to the next house." Jack answered, sweeping his eyes down over my body as I drove on, when the lights had changed. "You look amazing by the way."

I blushed, smiling at his charm. "You still lived on Alpine drive, don't you?"

"Yeah." He whispered, making me wonder why he'd lowered his voice.

I took the chance to glance at him and found him blinking his eyes a few times, muttering something to him self. I rolled my eyes, changing gear as I signalled and turned left at the intersection, heading to his house on the other side of town. He sighed when I changed gear again, increasing my speed as my car ate up the distance to his house.

"I love that sound." Jack blurted out.

"What sound?" I asked, trying to figure out where a sound could have come from. The radio wasn't on and I hadn't said anything. All there was were the sounds from the engine.

"When you change gear. I've always loved that sound." Jack said, indicating towards the engine in front of us. "That's why I prefer a manual gearbox. Gives you more control over the engine."

My eyes and smile widened at his admittance. Was he reading my mind again? I changed gear again, watching his face as I did. His eyes smiled as he listened intently to the engine.

He sunk down into passenger seat. "Ya know, if you get it just right. The right amount of clutch, you can make the engine purr."

I looked at him unbelieving. In all the years that I'd been driving and before that, I had never ever heard about, what he'd just said. I knew it sounded like the engine was purring when coasting along at a comfortable speed, but whenever I had changed gear in the past, it always made a pause in the engine noise, dulling the loud purr of the monster under the hood.

"Yeah, right." I said, changing gear again to turn down another street, minutes away from his house.

"No, seriously you can. You've just got to get it just right. Here." The Colonel said, sitting up in the passenger seat and leaned over to invade my space slightly. "Right, now when changing gear, don't take so much off the gas and don't put too much on the clutch. You just want it, so the gear stick slips out of the gear, then listen for about a few seconds before shoving the clutch down completely, quickly putting it into gear to let the clutch up and put the gas down."

I looked at him unbelieving, finding he was so close I could feel his breath on my neck. "Sounds complicated."

"Complicated?" He asked astonished, looking at me through the corner of his eye. "I'm amazed that's even in your vocab. Things have changed, if you're finding things complicated."

I took his daring words to heart, shifting in my seat to get comfortable, ready to perform this little procedure of his. The engine was roaring for its next gear, telling me it was time to change gear. Placing my hand on top of the gear stick, his warm hand came down onto mine, ready to guide me through it. It felt so good to feel his hand on mine.

"Okay." He said. "Let the gas up and put the clutch in, just to the point where you feel the stick be release."

I did as he instructed, moving the gear stick out of forth and I heard the engine softly purr, just like he said it would. "Now quickly slam the clutch down!"

The pedal hit the deck as our hands moved, ramming the gear stick into fifth. "Gas, Carter."

I switched pedals, hearing the engine roar in satisfaction. Chuckling to myself, I spied at his face as he smiled proudly, nodding his head in approval. My hand felt cold as he took his away, laying it absently onto his jacket in his lap and sat back into his seat properly. I blew out a nervous breath, slowing down to turn up and onto his driveway. Jack collected his things together, waiting for me to stop so he could get out. The car rocked to a stop before I pulled the handbrake up, putting the car into neutral.

He got out with the interior light coming on. Bending down, he stuck his head back inside my car. "I'm glad I went tonight to that shindig. I wasn't gonna go when they told us, but my team had talked me into it."

"I'm glad too. It's good to see you after so long, just next time don't leave it so long. People begin to miss you, ya know?" I pleaded, shifting the gear stick into reverse.

"I'll try not to." He promised smiling. "I'm gonna be in town anyway for a few weeks as we're waiting for the F-302's to be fixed. They might call you in on that one."

"See, you're always breaking my doohickeys!" I joked with a hand indicating towards him.

Jack chuckled, nodding his head in agreement. "Gives me a reason to come by and see ya, that's why."

Our laughter died away slowly and I found myself, wanting to shut the engine off and join him for the night. Go up into his house and lived out my dreams. Make them come into reality. But I knew, I should get back to Maggie.

His hand tapped the roof of the car, bringing me out of my musing. "You should get home to Maggie. Let that poor babysitter of yours, get home to have a decent night's rest."

"Yeah..." I said wavering off onto something else that didn't reach my lips. "Goodnight then."

"Night, Sam." He said before shutting the passenger door. I let the handbrake off and rolled backwards off his driveway, tapping on the gas as I backed out onto his street, watching out for nighttime drivers.

Jack waved to me as I sounded my horn, feeling sorry for anyone I might have woken up, and drove on, waving to him. I changed gear and let my hand linger on the gear shaft, remembering his hand being on mine. 'Hang on a minute.' I thought to myself, coming to a screeching halt, yards away from the stop sign. Did he just call me 'Sam'?

**********************************************************************

Rinsing and stacking the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher, I dried my hands on a tea towel, as I wandered over to the kitchen window, checking outside on Maggie, who was playing in the back garden. Pete had arrived home, in the early hours of the morning, but soon was gone again after a few hours of sleep. With my day off from work, I was pleased I had Maggie all to myself, even with the household chores to do. I shut the dishwasher door with my foot, reaching up to the cup rack to get myself a coffee mug.

Maggie came bounding up into the house, racing through into the hallway to run upstairs. I listened to her feet stomping about upstairs, excitedly running into her bedroom to get something. Dumping a teaspoon of instant coffee into my mug, the doorbell rang. I rolled my eyes, speculating whether I would get five minutes to myself this morning.

Leaving the kitchen, I shuffled down the hallway as Maggie bounced down the stairs, bumping into me when she turned the corner of the banister. "Mommy!"

"Sorry." I said, touching her blonde hair with a chuckle.

I watched her, as I pushed down the door handle, scampering out into the garden, going back to playing in the sun. Opening the door, I was surprised when a bouquet of flowers was shoved into my face, washing me with their sweet scent. I smelt them, taking them from whoever it was behind them. He smiled cunningly at me, his cap on hiding his grey hair and his eyes shielded by his sunglasses.

My breath was taken away from me, my eyes roaming over his bare chest, peeking out from the opening of his shirt. His jeans hugged his hips; threatening to fall down if he weren't wearing a belt.

Gaining some of my senses back, I shook my head moving the flowers out of the way. "What'd you break this time?"

'My heart.' I thought I heard him say but really he said. "Nothing. Just making sure it wasn't too long before I saw you again."

"Oh right. Come in, come in." I ushered, bringing him inside with my words, as I smelt the flowers again. Was there a hint of his cologne in them?

He brought his other arm from behind his back, procuring a teddy bear as I closed the front door. "I brought this for Maggie."

"You didn't have to do that, ya know? She's got enough toys as it." I commented, showing him the way into the kitchen.

I laid the flowers down onto a counter, after smelling them again, and went in search of a vase to put them in. Behind me, I heard a stool at the breakfast counter be pulled out, as something clattered onto the counter top. Opening a cupboard, I took out a vase from under the sink and put it into the sink, turning the cold tap on to fill it with water.

"Kids never have enough toys." Jack murmured, playing with the teddy.

I smiled at him over my shoulder, finding him even more alluring, now he'd taken his cap and sunglasses off. His tan made him so eatable. Filing the thought away, I shut the tap off and took the vase out of the sink, taking it over to put beside the bouquet of flowers. The paper wrapped around the flowers came away easily, though I noticed it'd been crunched and crumbled to the point, where the paper had torn. Was someone nervous about coming to see me?

Holding that observation close to my heart, I selected a pair of scissors from the pot in front of me. Jack glanced around my kitchen, his eyes committing everything to memory. I glanced up at him from snipping the ends off the flower stems, making them all the same height, and saw he was looking at the pictures on the fridge.

"Not many of you and Pete together on there." He pointed out, huddling himself over the edge of the breakfast bar, pointing vaguely with his hand towards the fridge.

Plonking the flowers I'd resized into the vase, I thoughtfully pondered my fridge door and its pictures. Though thinking about it, there weren't many pictures around the house with Pete and I in. The odd one was on display to show we were a loving couple.

"No wedding band either." Jack said staring at me, his eyes showing something I couldn't identify.

I wearily smiled, cocking an eyebrow for an instant before putting it back down. "Never the right time."

"Oh." He mumbled.

Arranging the flowers, I picked the vase up and placed it carefully in the kitchen window, filling the gap of a plant that Pete had killed. Bastard. I wiped my hands down my jeans, going over to the back door to call Maggie.

"Maggie! Come in here a minute, I want you to meet someone!" I called before going over to my mess to clear it up.

As I was putting the last of the flower stems and crumbled paper into the trash, Maggie came bursting into the kitchen, coming to a halt when her eyes came into contact with Jack. He smiled at her welcomingly and that seemed to be enough to put down some of her facial guards. She was very much like me, guarding her self from disappointment and from letting others in. That was why Maggie didn't have many friends, but I hoped when she started kindergarten, that would all change.

I came round the island, in the middle of the kitchen, standing in between them as they took the other in. "Maggie, this is my old commanding officer. Colonel Jack O'Neill."

"Well I think we could lose the Colonel now." Jack suggested behind me. "I haven't been you're CO for seven years."

Maggie looked curiously between us, her eyes studying my blush. "Mommy, you've gone red."

My blushed darken as I turned away from my inquisitive six-year old. "Hey Maggie. Here's something from me." Jack said, distracting Maggie. "Hope you like it."

She took the teddy, scowling at my turned back and Jack. Could she tell? Did she see something no one else could? Could she see my dark little secret?

Inwardly I screamed for help, my hands pressing down on the counter top, either side of his cap and sunglasses. His hand touched me on my side, making me turn my head to look at him. The doorbell rang and Maggie shot off somewhere.

I exhaled noisily, pushing myself away from the breakfast bar to answer the door. Turning into the hallway, Maggie had her coat on with her going out backpack on as she opened the front door. I frowned, coming up behind her as the front door swung open, revealing Pete's mother.

"Hello Maggie!" The older woman said, scooping Maggie up into her arms. "Samantha."

Propping myself up against the door, I said. "What's going on?"

The older woman knitted her brow at me. "Didn't Pete tell you that Maggie's coming to stay with me and Arthur tonight...? Oh! Was he planning on surprising you with something? Do I hear wedding bells?"

She was so desperate for us to get married, I thought about throttling her every time she brought it up. But she had my daughter in her arms, so I couldn't really do it. Actually whenever she did bring it up, she always had something precious of mine in her hands. Her little safety net, so I won't beat the living daylights out of her, every time she mentioned 'church bells'.

"I didn't know." I said displeased.

Brenda was distracted with something behind me, her eyes giving it the once over. Checking over my shoulder, I smiled at seeing Jack behind me, his hands in his pockets. Cute. He was so cute and eatable.

"Hello?" Brenda said, addressing us both.

Jack took it upon himself to introduce himself. "Hi there, Mrs Shannahan. Colonel Jack O'Neill. I used to be Sam's CO."

"O'Neill, another Irish surname." Brenda said, shaking hands with Jack while keeping a supporting arm under Maggie. "Nice to meet you, Colonel O'Neill. But I've got things... to do, so I can't stay and chat."

I didn't like the way her eyes were speculating things. The cogs in her head came up with an impression of Jack, which was so not him. She smiled briefly before talking to Maggie, making her way back to her car, parked by the curb. Waving to Maggie when she waved at me, I closed the door, grumbling that Pete should have told me that Maggie was going to his parents this weekend. It couldn't have hurt.

"What's up with you?" Jack asked, touching me on the shoulder.

"Pete didn't tell me that Brenda, was coming to pick Maggie up and was taking her for the weekend. He knew I was looking forward to spending some time with her today." I ranted putting my hands on my hips. "Oh he so gets on my nerves!"

His eyebrows hiked up at me. "Gets on your nerves? Someone needs a day to relax."

I laughed at him, going into the living room. "Haven't got time to relax. Not with all the housework still needing to be done."

"Come on then. Lets get on with it. Where'd ya want me to start?" Jack said, rolling up his sleeves, ready to get down to work.

"No, no. I can do it myself. You didn't come here to help me with my housework." I threw back at him, taking my frustration out on him, as I picked up some magazines and stack them.

He ignored me, knelling down in front of the fireplace to pick up Maggie's toys and packed them away into the empty toy box. Jack was cute, eatable and sweet, as I watched over him from behind. I didn't deserve him, even though I didn't have him. I roughened up my hair in frustration, going into the hallway to get the vacuum cleaner.

**********************************************************************

Everything was done. Apart from dusting the bookcase that Jack was doing, while I sat on the couch where he'd forced me to sit with a cup of coffee. Pete never did anything like that for me. He had this imaged in his head, where I was supposed to do all the housework while holding my job at the SGC, and he was supposed to go out and catch the bad guys. Maggie was mostly my responsibility, as I was home more than him. Ironic, how my job is more demanding than his but I get more time off work than him.

Jack opened the last of the glass cabernet, wiping the glass on the inside before dusting the shelf's down. Glancing over his shoulder, he smiled at me, finishing off the last shelf before closing the glass door, throwing the dust cloth onto the bucket of cleaning products. He climbed over the big comfy footstool, puff thing, and sat down onto it, picking up one of legs to take my slipper off. I looked at him, as he peeled my sock off, placing my foot onto his knee before he began to work his thumbs into the pads of my feet.

"What are you doing?" I asked with my head lulling to one side.

"You need it. Shut up and stop thinking." Jack said, working the heel of his hand into the ball of my foot.

Licking my lips, I sunk down into the couch, holding my half empty mug of coffee in my lap. He'd had practised. I could tell from the way he was rubbing and squeezing at my size seven foot. I raised my other foot up, flicking off my slipper and put it into his lap, settling further back into the comfy cushions of the couch. Not many people can say they got a foot massage from a superior officer.

"Enjoying?" He asked, disposing of my other sock to join the other one on the floor.

"Mmmmm...Don't stop." I muttered.

He chuckled at me, rubbing his warm hands up and down on the tops of my feet, travelling just beneath the ends of my jeans before going back towards my toes. Jack O'Neill was the master of massages! I sighed comfortably, as he trailed his fingertips up the edges of my feet, following the line of my foot to trace down, the arch of my foot and around the heel of my foot. Doing it all over again.

I cracked an eye open, when he bent my big toe down. "What?"

"What happened to your toe? You've got a faint black line running across the middle of it." He concernedly asked, touching it with much care.

"Oh, I think that was when I dropped my toolbox on it, the other day. I was in the garage, resorting things and Pete distracted me, making me drop it." I informed him.

He nodded his head, taking the information in, and returned back to rubbing my feet. I closed my eyes again; groaning as his hands became rougher, stroking my right foot with hands, firmly rubbing from my toes towards my body. Just as he reached my ankle, his hand lightly caressed my skin, as his hands returned to my toes, repeating it over and over again.

His strategy changed, with his hand supporting my foot, and rubbed at the base of my toes with his thumbs. Moving towards my ankle with his thumbs, he made broad circles all over the top of my feet and caused me to groan again. Jack chuckled with his hands moving again, working at the sole of my right foot with his strong thumbs, and created small circles to cover the entire surface of my sole. I hissed pleasurably when he pinched the outer edges of my heel, continuing all the way up the edge of my foot to my small toe.

It was very enticing. Tempting me to lean forward and grab him, have my way with him. Was he doing it on purpose? His fingers stopped their idle work and he put my feet down onto the footstool.

My eyes snapped opened, watching him cross over to the HIFI system. "What you doing? I was enjoying that!"

"Hang on a minute, Sam." He called me Sam, again!! "Just putting some music on."

"Oh... well that lots Pete's. Mine's over there." I said pointing to the chest sitting under a window, as I put my coffee mug down on the floor by the couch, out of the way. "He doesn't like my choice in music."

His eyes scanned down the selections of Pete's, pulling back in utter dismay when he saw some of Pete's choices in music. "Sad. There's no rock in this at all."

I smiled at him, sitting up on the couch as he lifted the lid on the chest, scanning through my vaster selection of music. Jack picked one out of it, smiling at it as he waltzed over to the HIFI. The CD case gave nothing away, as to what he had chosen, so I decided to go with the flow. With the case clattering down, onto the edge of the shelf, where he'd dropped it, he pushed the button to open the CD player and placed the disc inside, pressing a few buttons before he came back over to me.

The song started up just as he offered his hands down to me. "Come on, I wanna dance."

"Now? In my living room? You've gotta be joking?" I inquired, though I saw the seriousness in his eyes.

"Come on lazy bones." Jack said, hauling me up onto my feet. What about my massage?

Holding my hand out for him to take, the words slowly played out the speakers that were dotted around the room.

"There's so much life I've left to live, And this fire is burning still, When I watch you look at me, I think I could find the will, To stand for every dream, And forsake this solid ground, And give up this fear within, Of what would happen if they ever knew, I'm in love with you."

I swallowed hard, as we steadily drifted side to side, my head finding its way onto his shoulder. His hands held me gently but securely, holding our clasped hands to his chest. I could hear his heart, beating evenly beneath my ear.

"'Cause I'd surrender everything, To feel the chance to live again, I reach to you, I know you can feel it too, We'd make it through, A thousand dreams I still believe, I'd make you give them all to me, I'd hold you in my arms and never let go, I surrender."

I could have cried. Was this how a loving couple was supposed to be? Be safe and loved, in one another's arms? Could this be what I search for? I closed my eyes, wrapping my arms around him to press myself closer to his chest. He threaded his fingers through my hair, swaying me to move my head away from his shoulder and raised my head up to greet his.

"I know I can't survive, Another night away from you, You're the reason I go on, And now I need to live the truth, Right now, there's no better time, From this fear I will break free, And I'll live again with love, And no they can't take that away from me, And they will see..."

The dark depths of his eyes reached out to me, acting as a Pier Piper, playing sweet music to tempt me nearer. My eyes closed with my lips parting, waiting for his delicious lips to eat mine. I shuddered, feeling his lips press against mine and then devoured my lips, as my hands clutched at his shirt, holding onto anything. Lips locked, tongues duelled and hands clutched, as we danced to our own song.

He pulled at my top, with one hand, and searched for the nearby cabernet, with the other. I let out a surprised grunt, when we backed up and hit the cabernet, everything inside it shook, with the glass doors chunking as some books hit the glass. Grabbing anything that wasn't skin, I pulled at it, wanting it to come off. The music stopped, but we didn't, and changed to another song.

"I'm not a woman, I'm not a man, I am something that you'll never understand."

I unbuttoned the buttons on his shirt, exposing his chest, and stripped his shirt from his arms, slinging it towards the couch. His hands slid eagerly up and underneath my top, hiking it up further when I nipped at his lower lip. There was a sort of growl that escaped him, as he undressed me, my top following his to the couch or in that direction.

"I'll never beat u, I'll never lie, And if you're evil I'll forgive u by and by."

I parted my legs, as he rubbed his knee up between my legs, stepping in between my legs while he kneaded my breasts. He'd seemed pleased that I wasn't wearing a bra, his lips leaving mine to suckle on my nipple. My nails clawed at his back with my eyes gazing out the window, catching a glimpse of Pete's car.

Grabbing hold of Jack, by his shoulders, I shoved him back and darted for my top, throwing his shirt towards him. He stood bewildered in the middle of my living room, his shirt hanging partly off his head. I pulled on my top, crossing quickly over to him.

"Pete's home!" I whispered hurriedly. "Put your shirt on!"

He saw sense and quickly put it on, changing the track as well. I grabbed the bucket of cleaning products, taking them through into the kitchen as Pete came in through the back door.

"Hey honey." Pete said, draping his coat over the back of one of the stools. "Maggie here?"

"No, Pete. Your mother came to pick her up, like you'd organised with her. Thanks for telling me by the way." I sneered, hearing Jack quietly tiptoe his way up the stairs.

Pete must have missed it, as he wasn't aware of there being anyone else in the house. I put the bucket of cleaning products, back under the sink, slyly adjusting my hair and wiping at my lips. Standing in front of the sink, I gazed out of the window, trying to calm myself down. I just wanted him even more now. I wanted Jack right there and then. Even with Pete in the room.

Hands slid around my waist, finding their way under my top to seek out my breast. "Oooo... What have we been up to, Sam? Starting without me? Now that's just being..."

He shut up when he heard the toilet upstairs flush. His hand removed itself from under my top, looking at me with disgust, as he moved away. Feet leaped down the stairs, as Pete looked towards the front door, and Jack came down the small hallway to enter the kitchen.

"Oh!" Jack said acting surprise. "Hi Pete. So what was it that you had to run off to last night? Murder? Robbery?"

"Sam, what's he doing 'ere and what's gone on?" Pete questioned, turning all cop on me. "You're flushed and he's way too happy with himself."

I thought quickly. "Jack came by to see me, catch up some more like we were doing last night at the party. He was helping me do the cleaning and then we ended up acting like kids. One minute we were grown ups, cleaning the living room, and then the next we were teenagers, fighting on the floor."

Jack chuckled, seeing more into it than Pete was. "Yeah, she's quite the devil with that Level Three Hand to Hand. She almost had me a few times."

"You two were play fighting in the living room?" Pete asked, pointing his finger at either of us. "At your ages?"

"As they say Pete, and to be a clich, you only lived once." The Colonel said, picking up his sunglasses and cap. "And on that note, I'll have to bid you both a fond farewell. Got to see Danny-boy, T and Cassie before the end of the day. We're going out for drinks later, if you two wanna come along. If ya do, we'll be at our old hang out. You know where it is, don't ya Sam?"

"How could I forget?" I retorted, adjusting my top. "We'll see what we can do."

He smiled at me, making my toes curl up. "Well, see ya's later perhaps. Pete. Sam."

Jack pulled his cap on into place, making his own way down the hallway to the front door, with Pete following absently behind him. When Pete had disappeared out of sight, I let out a calming breath and banked back against the counter behind me. That was close. Why couldn't Pete have stayed away longer?

**********************************************************************

Somehow I had managed to talk Pete, into going along to other's get together, at our old hang out. He didn't seem too pleased with me, as he parked up, getting out to leave me behind. It looked as though I had ruined his plans for the evening. I got out, slamming the car door behind me. The lights flickered when Pete pushed a button, walking off without me, in the opposite direction of the bar.

"Where're you going?" I called after him.

He turned his head to look at me. "I'm going to get some chewing gum. Got a problem?"

Rolling my eyes, I carried on towards the entrance, burying my hands into my pockets. Someone came out, as I was about to open the door, and held the door opened for me. I nodded my head in thanks, stepping into the smoky atmosphere. The place hadn't changed one bit, as I steadily stepped down the few steps, crossing over to the bar where I recognised the backside.

Friendly, I slapped Daniel's backside, making him jump and drop his wallet onto the bar. "GOD!"

"Sorry, Daniel." I chuckled, patting him on his shoulder. "Where is ever...?"

"I know that butt!" Someone said behind me before I got some of my own treatment.

The hand slapped me on the backside but also squeezed it, causing me to go up my tiptoes. "Argh! Jack!"

"What?" He came into view, his hand secretly lingering on my hip, but Daniel couldn't see it, as we were huddle close together. "Can't a friend greet a friend that way? Or is that only reserve for Danny-boy?" Jack enquired before slapping Daniel on his backside; Daniel groaned, as he picked up his wallet, after dropping onto the bar again.

"What is it with everyone and slapping my backside today?" Daniel questioned, finally paying for drinks that were sat on the tray in front of us.

Jack and I shared an amused look, both because of earlier and Daniel's outward display of displeasure. Daniel took the tray of drinks to their table, glaring at Jack and then at me, as he passed. I leaned up the bar and ordered a beer with a shot of tequila. Picking some peanuts up, out of the bowl on the bar, Jack smugly looked at me. His smile reminded of that day, in the Briefing room, when he'd been smiling for no apparent reason.

I brushed up against him, reaching to other bowl of peanuts, even though there was a bowl right in front of us. "Where's Pete?"

"He'll be 'ere in a minute. Gone to get himself some chewing gum." I told him, popping the peanuts into mouth, one at a time, rolling them about with my tongue, so he could see it.

He nudged me with his hip, pretending to be innocent, as the bartender put my beer and shot onto the bar. "Play dirty and that's what ya get."

The bartender chuckled informing me it was two dollars sixty. Delving into my back pocket, I precisely kneed my ex CO in the back of his leg, not to hard because of his bad knee, making him wave his arms around till he got his balance back. I paid the bartender and left Jack at the bar, winking at him over my shoulder.

Cassie came in through the entrance, looking at something out in the car park before closing the door. I smiled at her and then watched her stumble down the steps, almost knocking my drinks and me flying.

She held onto my arms, letting out a quiet squealed, as my shot splashed towards her. "Whoa!"

"Cassie you alright?" Jack asked, coming over with a beer and shot of his own. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"Actually, I'm not quite sure what I just saw. Hopeful thinking perhaps." She answered, taking my shot of tequila to down in one. "Sam, I think you ought to go out into the car park and see for yourself."

I frowned at her, handing my beer over to Jack. "Right... Be back in a minute."

Jogging up the steps, I opened the door and peeked outside. At first I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. I knew the woman he was talking to. I'd seen her in a couple of photos but that was all. Though seeing them across the car park, embracing one another as they inclined up a wall, they talked about something as I watched on

A hand touched me on my waist, a chin resting down onto my shoulder. "What's all the...?"

Jack didn't finish his sentence. His eyes were focus on the now kissing couple before they nodded their heads at one another. I didn't know what to make of it. Had something being going on behind my back? Weren't we the loving couple he wanted us to be?

Pete said something back to his ex-wife, waving a hand to her, as he shouted he'd meet her back at our house. The house we'd brought together because of him. The house we shared a mortgage on like loving couples did. My blood was boiling, watching Pete strolled towards the entrance, unwrapping a stick of gum.

He was a few feet away as I said, with Jack's face vanishing from the corner of my eye. "What you meeting your ex at our house for?"

The deer caught in headlights looked did nothing for me. "Huh? How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough." I stated, stepping out to join him outside.

"Sam, I need to talk to you." Pete pleaded, munching down the stick of gum, he'd put into his mouth. "That's why I wanted to stay at home tonight."

I crossed my arms over my chest, feeling a slight hypocrite. "Tell me then, what you were going to tell me at home."

"We can't talk about it here." He said, motioning around the car park.

"Pete, you either tell me now and here or I'm gonna go find Tracy and get it out of her." I blackmailed.

Pete pulled a face at me, his hands finding their way into his pockets. "Fine! Sam, I'm leaving. Tracy and me have been seeing each other for the past two years. We're gonna get back together."

"Fine." I said, surprising him with the lack of emotion. "We'll have to talk through everything. Split things and discuss when you want to see Maggie."

"Aren't you even going to plead with me to stay?" Pete asked. "We've been in a relationship for the past thirteen years and you're having no problem with just me saying its over, as in done and dusted. Gone. Bye-bye. Never coming back. Finito."

I nodded my head. "I'm not stupid you know. I know what you're saying."

His hands came out of his pockets, as he came towards me. "How can you not be angry with me? I'm saying goodbye and you're helping me on my way?"

"And you have a problem with this?" I questioned, standing strong as he grabbed onto my elbows and shook me.

"Haven't you felt anything for me?" Pete shouted at me.

"HEY!" A deep threatening voice responded, shoving Pete away to stand in front of me.

"Oh," Pete grunted, studying Jack and then me. "I see now. So what were you doing before I came home and wreck the party?"

There was a growl and I found it amusing that it came from Jack. "None of your goddamn business!"

"Jack," I murmured as I edged him out of the way. "Just stay out of this for a minute."

"Okay, but I'm not going far." He told Pete more than me, heading back inside to stand just inside the doorway.

Pete was glaring at Jack in the doorway, as he said. "Well then, I'll go home and pack. I'll be out before you get home."

"Take your time." I said with a smile, turning my back on him to walk through the open door and stopped to pop my head around the door. "I might not be home tonight as Maggie's being looked after by your mom."

His mouth dropped open, as I moved out of sight, spinning round on my heels when I noticed Jack wasn't coming with me. I grabbed a handful of his shirt, which probably looked really good to Pete, and dragged him away from the door, letting the door close on its own, as we joined our friends.

So we weren't a loving couple. The whole thing had been a lie from the start. But there was one thing that I had gotten out it. Maggie. I wouldn't give her up for anything. Not even for Jack would I give her up and I wanted Jack more than anything. So what exactly made a loving couple? Was it attraction? A bond? Safety? Who really knew?

All I knew was, the love I felt that night, was more than what Pete had ever given me. We'd become one, moving and grinding as one through the night. Finally, we were free. We were together.

***********************************************************************

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katmellie