Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Coming Out into the Open

by Katmellie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Coming Out into the Open

Coming Out into the Open

by Katmellie

Summary: Getting to the engagement party on time, (summary does not give clue to storyline).
Category: Angst, Future Story, Humor
Episode Related: 101 Children of the Gods, 405 Divide and Conquer, 610 Cure
Season: future Season
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: G
Warnings: none
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 10/22/03

Title: Coming Out into the Open
Author: Katmellie (Katmellie17)
Email: Katmellie@AOL.com (Katmellie17@Yahoo.co.uk) Category: Humour SJ-romance
Spoilers: None I don't think. Not major ones if there are. Season: Future
Rating: G
Summary: Getting to the engagement party on time. Archive: Yes, if you want
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author. Website: http://www.geocities.com/katmellie17/index.html

Sleeping in most of the morning, with her wrapped in his arms, he gave no indication that he was awake, keeping his breathing controlled, watching the sun, slowly traced its way over her soft skin. She was heading back to Colorado when she woke, the faade that they weren't seeing each other, would once again go back up till they brought it out, into the open. The reason they'd been keeping it a secret, was with all the reporters and newspapers, treating them like idle gossip, exploiting anything that went on between any of them. They were more famous than the celebrities, which in itself, was an amazement. There'd been a whole month of him and Daniel, plastered to the front of every newspaper and magazine, with detailed pictures of them, fighting in the back garden, at Cassie's twentieth birthday party. They weren't fighting-fighting. Everyone was taking part in the game of football. It was just the photographer looked over the fence, when the two of them, were scrambling across the garden for the ball.

It was about that time, when he and Sam decided to see where their feelings, would lead them to and here they were today. Safe from photographers and any nosey journalist, but that would all change, at the engagement party. No matter how much, she thought they'd be safer having the party at her house, he knew a journalist or a photographer, would have the front page by the next morning, with them on it, celebrating their engagement. By the weekend, the whole world would know, and the mail would scale to the point, where he'd have to ask the local postal office, to burn any mail that wasn't bills or from a certain address. It happened when the SGC came out to the public, no was prepared for the phone calls and mail, emails and such, that had bombarded their door steps. He, himself, disappeared for three months, reappearing for Cassie's birthday party and to have a chat with Sam.

Something in the other part of the cabin, was shrilling for one of them to answer, complaining that someone wanted to get in contact with one of them, wanting their urgent assistance to kill the annoying ring. Carefully sliding his arm from underneath her, she complained in her sleep, clutching her pillow closure to her head, disappearing under the sheets. Climbing out of bed he righted his sweat bottoms, untwisting his t-shirt from around his back, turning the knob of his bedroom door, to let the crying of the phone become louder. She ordered, from the cover of the sheets, to kill the phone and for him to come back to bed, ASAP. Tiptoeing along the short corridor to the kitchen, he glanced inside, scanning the worktops for the phone.

Searching through the cabin he found it, sat on the mantel piece, hidden behind some pictures taken of the two of them, ready to come out of hiding at her house, in Colorado. Flicking the cover down from the keypad, he answered the phone unsure whether it was his, or if it was hers, but at this time of the morning who really cared.

"Hello" His voice sounded scratched, causing him to cough to clear his throat.

The voice, on the other side, came over as being alert, ready for action and suspicious of him. "Hello, who is this? Is Samantha Carter there?"

Trying to sound gruffer, hoping he didn't sound anything like himself, he said. "Hang on a minute, I'll just get her"

Holding the phone away from his ear, clamping his hand down on the receiver, he stamped his foot on the floor, cursing Teal'c for actually learning how to use the phone. Extending the phone at arms length, keeping anything he was mumbling, being pick up by the receiver, running back to his bedroom, cursing Teal'c and Sam, for not answering her own damn phone. Jumping onto the bed, behind her still unmoved form, he shook her by her shoulder, hushing her moans from the phone.

"Sam. Honey. Wake up. Teal'c's on the phone"

She sat bolt right up in bed, squeezing at handfuls of the sheet, staring at the phone he held in his hand. Passing the phone over to her, he tucked himself back under the covers while she got out of them, going straight over to her clothes, in the wardrobe. "Teal'c, when did you get back from Chulak?"

Listening to the one side of the conversation, he snuggled back down to sleep, something that would be eluding him, till he went to Colorado and knew he was closure to her. Instead of being miles away from one another, they'd be a short drive away or even a brisk walk away, from one another. But even then, he'd still want her to come to his bed, spend the night in one another's arms, living under the spell their love cast over them, whenever they were alone together. Hooking the sheet over his shoulder, he watched her hop about, and then bounced about as she pulled up her knickers.

"Yes, Teal'c. I told Daniel he could come. There's no bad blood, between the Colonel and me. I know he's got a girlfriend." She said, smiling at him over her shoulder, hooking her bra into place. "I'm well aware of that, but were both moving forward in our relations"

Chuckling into his pillow he shook his head, it shouldn't be funny lairing to their friends, but whenever he or Sam, started dropping certain hints, making double meanings of things, they'd both couldn't stop the giggle or chuckle, it couldn't be helped. Something hit him in the back, hard and straight to the point, 'shut up, he can hear you!'. They did it to the other, threw things or smothered the others laughter, with a hand or a pillow, which ever was nearest and did the job. Though being extremely careful with the pillow, don't want to kill the other now, before the wedding, whenever that was going to be.

"No, Teal'c. It's just my fianc, he's watching the Simpsons." She said, hiding under her jumper, talking to the phone through her jumper. "Yes, the Colonel will get along find with him. Scares me how alike they are sometimes, especially the way he orders me around. I'm gonna be back in Colorado by eleven, got to go to DC this morning. Sure, we can meet for lunch. Well if you want to ask the Colonel to come, I've got no objections"

Hearing his name being mentioned, he looked round to find her disappearing out of the door, turning into the bathroom, her voice getting quieter the further she got away. Rolling out of bed with the sheet following, he disentangled himself from it, tripping over it slightly on his way to the door, catching his head on the corner of the open door. Sizing the door up as a potential opponent, he rubbed a hand over his head, shouldering up the doorframe to the bathroom, hearing her running a sink full of water, still chatting with Teal'c on the phone.

"Teal'c, I'm sure the Colonel's girlfriend very nice. He hasn't mentioned much of her to me, but I've been working a lot lately, toing and froing between Colorado and my fianc's. You'll meet him at our engagement party. You'll get on with him. He's very nice, kind and funny. No, I don't think the Colonel will want to beat him up. If he does, I'll beat him up." She said, appearing out from behind the door, smiling at me, picking up a towel out of the airing cupboard. "I'm sure I can handle the Colonel, he's a big teddy bear really"

Rolling his eyes at her from the doorway, he sauntered through the house to the kitchen, knowing he didn't want to hear anymore of that. It was always the same. Teal'c thought he'd beat the crap out of Sam's mystery fianc. Daniel thought he'd throw him through the gate, to some planet that was barren and unliveable. Cassie thought he'd come in like a knight in shining armour, whisking Sam away from this unseen fianc. Her dad thinks it's him, even though Sam's made startling arguments, to convince Jacob it isn't him. General Hammond really couldn't give a damn, living the life in DC as the Presidents consultant, when it comes to Stargate matters. But wishes them both the best, after seeing them both in DC once, when they'd attended some anniversary bash, with medals and promotions.

Boiling the kettle for her quick coffee and his long morning, in front of the TV, waiting for Teal'c to call, asking whether he'd like to join him and Sam, for lunch somewhere. It was nice now, that travelling across the world could be done, in a second or two, adapting the Asguard's teleportor to Earth's needs. He could be in London, have tea with the queen, and be back in time, to watch reruns of Sally before Oprah came on. 'Sweet', he thought to himself, dumping a teaspoon of coffee into the mugs, listening to her humming come down the hallway. Her phone clattered onto the worktop beside him, hiding it from sight with a towel over the top of it.

"A big teddy bear?" He asked her, pouring the hot liquid into the mug, casting a brief glance her way, seeing a playful smile over her lips.

"Would you rather I said, he's a cute, adorable, sexy and a jackass?" She said, taking her mug from in front of him, sliding an arm round his waist, seeking her hand under his t-shirt, her hand cold against his stomach.

Crooking his neck to see her over his shoulder, he said. "I can live with the big teddy bear description. Though I'd have a problem describing you as a toy"

Getting two slices of bread out of the bag, she dropped them into the toaster, nudging him out of the way, saying. "Why's that then?"

"Cause they don't have an action woman, who looks as good as you did in BDU's" I said, grinning at the way her nose crinkled up, not believing I'd just said that, with a shake of her head.

The phone in the cradle, on the wall behind them, rang out to everyone in a mile radius of the cabin. Reaching round behind her, he dislodged it from its cradle, flipping it over in his hand, pressing the button to answer it, bringing to rest against his ear. "O'Neill"

"O'Neill this is Teal'c" He said in his booming voice, causing him to pat the palm of his hand against his ear, exchanging the phone to the other. "I would like to invite you, to come to lunch with me and Samantha Carter. Would you like to come?"

"With Sam? Have lunch with Sam? Sure, why not? I ain't seen her since Cassie's birthday party" He said, digging his elbow into Sam's side, waggling his eyebrows at her, she'd giggled playfully shoving him away.

"Who is that in the background, O'Neill?" Teal'c asked him, growing suspicious of how both his friends, could've been able to start new relationships, when they were truly in love with one another.

Motioning her to be quiet, with a finger over his lips, he said. "Just my girlfriend, Teal'c. Nothin' to worry about. So... is that it? You just wanted to invite me to lunch, with you and Sam?"

"Yes, O'Neill. Though I am concerned about you and Samantha Carter." He said; sounding disappointed with him about something.

"What's that then T? What we done now?" He asked, craftily slipping his arm between her arm and her stomach, taking the slice of freshly buttered toast, zooming off towards the living room.

The tougher man must have move something, sighing his long years of experience, down the phone at him. "O'Neill, did you not love Samantha Carter, when we were on SG-1? Did you not love her now?"

"T? I..." He was starting to feel bad about lairing to him, his best buddy was asking him a question, which he'd love to answer truthfully, but he couldn't till the party on Friday.

"O'Neill, you must be true to your heart like a warrior. A true warrior would never have let her get away. You are both as bad as one another. Loving the other, yet letting the one you love, get away. I can only say, I believe you and Samantha Carter are stupid, and do not deserve the people, you are now having relations with. I will bid you farewell, O'Neill. We will be meeting for lunch at the restaurant, at the Stargate complex"

The line went dead with him, holding the phone to his ear, flabbergasted that his friend had told him he was stupid. Passing by him with a tea plate, with her other slice of toast on, she retrieve her missing slice from his fingers, stopping when she saw the look on his face. Slowly taking the phone away from his ear, he shook his head at her, killing the constant tone coming from the phone. He couldn't believe Teal'c actually felt that way about it.

Standing in the shadows of the new Stargate Complex, he hid from all the tourists and travellers, going in and out of the building, using the gate like it was an everyday thing now. He was early, which was stupid of him, and growing impatient with the busy crowds, still going on instead of dieing down. Calling Sam some half an hour ago, she was still in a meeting with General Hammond, conferring on some new technology they had in production, bringing it out for commercial use next year, some time. That wasn't stopping all the passer-by's, pointing at him, wondering who the man in the shadows, with the sunglasses and grey hair, was the actual Colonel Jack O'Neill (Rtd), or just a look-a-like.

He'd already fobbed, a few people off that morning, by telling them he was a look-a-like, posing for photos with them. That's when he decided he'd wait outside, till either Sam or Teal'c showed up, which had better be soon, otherwise he was going to walk. Whether she was his fiance or not, or Teal'c was one of his best friends, he was going to walk. Never had he liked being the centre of attention, even in Mr Cooper's science class, did he enjoy being forced to the front, to be made out to be the class idiot. And she wonders why he hates scientists so much.

Combing a hand through his hair, he glanced round in time, to see a flash at the teleportor, un-engulfing the best thing he'd seen, since that morning. Smiling at her when she looked over his direction, he began the short walk over to her, removing his sunglasses from over his eyes, sliding them into the inside pocket of his coat. Handing him her handbag, she removed all her id badges from her persons, grumbling about them like she always did.

"Why the hell do I need id badges? The Enquirer even knows who I am, without even asking for my name" She stated, stuffing some of the badges, she'd taken off, into her bag, beginning to remove the locator and pager, from the waistband of her skirt. "It'd be amazing if someone didn't know my name"

"Excuse me, but do I know you?" He said with grin from China to England.

"Ha ha, you're so funny. Quick, someone sew my sides up. Jack O'Neill the comedian, has split my sides" She said snatching her bag away from him, a few of the passer-by's stopped for a moment, pointing at the two of them but not saying anything to them. "Anyway, Teal'c here yet?"

Shaking his head at her, he slid his hands, into the back pockets of his jeans, glancing passed her at some tourists, with cameras. "No, not yet. But can we go sit down, out the way somewhere. I don't fancy playing look-a-like again"

Nodding her head with a look over her shoulder, he saw the fight in her eyes, stopping her hand from pulling his, out of the back pocket of his jeans. Walking as close as they could together, wanting the distance to be less than it was, but still able to feel the heat from the other ones body, with the small distance between them. Causing quite a stir, when they entered the complex, Jack immediately grimaced, at the team photo they'd got on display, at the walk through history tour. He'd never liked that photo. With people watching and pointing at them, they waited patiently for the elevator, concealing their faces from view, from the people surrounding them.

It wasn't often they went out somewhere, going to a quiet restaurant in town, from his cabin, was the only place they were guarantee some privacy. Luckiest thing about knowing the owner, he could always twist his arm, letting him and Sam have the quiet room in the back, where only the special customers got to go. But he felt vulnerable being in the Stargate complex, the complex was one big greenhouse in his opinion, windows everywhere. He didn't like it. There was no place to hide in there, glass walls here and glass walls there. When they'd first been invited to the opening, in the early days of his and Sam's relationship, she'd loved it from the first moment she saw it, expressed wishes of their first house together, to be made like it too. He'd shaken his head then, still in the happy bliss of their new, relationship (still are), and he shook his head there in the elevator.

Reaching their desired floor to the restaurant, they'd excused themselves through the crowded elevator, trying not to lose any pieces of their clothing or hair, or skin, on the way to the door. Checking each of his pockets that everything was in there, he was still miffed from a few months ago, when someone had nabbed his sunglasses, right from under his nose. The pair he'd had for ten solid years, and some moron came along and took them, for a trophy. Though Sam won every time, when they compared things that went missing. Her laptop has gone for walks. Her bike did a disappearing act one morning, reappearing in some auction on Stargate memorabilia. That had cost him considerably, to get her bike back for her. A week in the newspapers was given, to exploit him buying it. Making up tails that they were seeing each other, they weren't far from the truth.

Avoiding as many people as possible, they commandeer a table out of sight and far from the surrounding people, sitting down having their coffees or something to eat. Setting her bag down on the table, she signalled towards the ladies like she did, hooking her head in some direction, pointing down to her lower half. He didn't know why she did, something that developed over the years, when they were on SG-1. Embarrassed to ask him she was going for a toilet break out loud, instead taking to signalling to him, where she was going with a point down to her groin. Sometimes, she could really make him laugh. Pulling his jacket till he comfortable, he watched her through the crowds, shaking a hand when it was presented to her, crossing her legs so she could do her friendly chats, with some tourist who recognised her.

Plucking the menu up from the table, he sunk back and downwards in his seat, dragging her handbag across the table to him, his hands keeping a secure grip on the handle. He could hear the whispers, it's all he ever heard when he went anywhere, and it was starting to agitate him. It was worse when the whole team was back together, cause there was no stopping the tourists, recognising the six foot Jaffa, standing out from the three of them, drawing everyone's attention to them. It was like sticking a sheep in with a herd of cows, could anyone tell them apart?

"O'Neill" The big shadow boomed at him, his giant hands touching him on his shoulder, the menu flying out of Jack's hands, to glide down onto the floor. "Sorry, O'Neill. I did not mean to frighten you. Is Samantha here?"

Scooping the menu up off the floor, he gestured wildly towards the ladies room, hopelessly unable to control his breathing. "She's in the restroom, should be back any second I guess"

Scarping the chairs legs across the floor, Teal'c drew even more attention to their table, glaring up at his friend he watched him sit down, still thinking it was weird to see Teal'c, in earth type clothes. Today, Teal's was wearing a pair a jeans, a plain blue shirt and a leather jacket, him and Sam had brought for him, way back when they were at the SGC. Scratching his brow with the corner of the menu, he glanced round the busy restaurant, catching her coming out of the restroom, wavering off people she'd encountered in there. She smiled, apologising that she was with friends, saying she'll see them again some time. It was always the same thing, but however much each of them, would like to stop and talk to people, old habits die-hard and sometimes they just didn't want to talk about the past. Their futures were more important to them, to what they'd dealt with in the past.

Rising out of their seats as she approach, again he saw the fight in her eyes, forcing herself to not touch him or to seat beside him, claiming the seat opposite as her own. Sliding her handbag over the table towards her, he graciously retook his seat at the table; eluding the look Teal'c gave him. Whenever he was with Teal'c, whether with someone else or just the two of them, Teal'c would give him this look, Jack's father would give him when he was younger and he'd done something stupid again. Hiding his face behind the menu, scanning down the menu for something to eat, feeling something soft pad up his shin, clenching her toes over his knee. Seeking a look at her, over the top of the menu, she sat opposite him propping her head up with her hand. Listening to Teal'c, tell her about Ry'act's latest developments, to becoming a master like his father and Bra'tac.

Reaching under the table, he clasped her ankle, smirking to himself that she was squirming underneath the table, but wasn't showing any signs of distress, above the table. She was good. He'd give her that. Laying the menu down on the table, he decided he'd like the hamburger and fries, a simple yet fore filling meal and always went down as a treat for him. Tickling the heel of her foot, she struggled against him, glaring at him when Teal'c turned, to call the waitress over to their table. Smiling down at the menu, tracing his fingertip down the side of her foot, she jumped in her seat, reasoning to Teal'c, it was because a shiver ran down her spine. Releasing her foot from his torture, the waitress stood beside him, burrowing his eyebrows together, he looked her up and down, wearing BDU's they'd supposedly worn a year ago.

"May I take your orders?" She asked, scribbling at her notepad, her face long with misery.

"Yes, you may" Teal'c proclaimed, holding the menu up, so both he and Sam could see it. "O'Neill would you like to order first, while me and Samantha decide?"

With a nod of his head, he swivelled slightly round in his chair, hooking his arm over the back of his chair, looking up to face that screamed, 'I recognise you!!!', causing a slight groan to come from him. "I'd like the Hamburger and fries, please"

"You're... you're him, aren't you? You're Colonel... You're Colonel Jack..." She stuttered going bright red in the face, crouching down to be lower than his head height, her notepad and pen shoved into her pocket.

"O'Neill. Yes, he is..." Sam leant over the table to get a better look, at the nametag, imprinted onto the young lady's uniform. "Mandy. And he would like the Hamburger and fries, with a large Dr Pepper"

"He would? I'll... just write that down, Major Carter" She said shyly, retrieving the notepad and pen from her pocket, writing down his order. "What would you like, Major? I mean... ma'am. I mean... doctor. I mean... Miss Carter"

Waving the stuttering woman to stop, Sam took one long hard look at the menu, making her mind up in seconds as to what her order would be. "I'll have the same thanks. And call me, Sam. I'm retired, I don't wanna be called doctor and I won't be Miss for too long, so just call me Sam. Okay, Mandy?"

Excitedly she nodded her head at Sam, scribing times two beside his order, turning to Teal'c at the table, who was, as always, oblivious to the reaction people had to their fame. "I will have a hamburger and fries, but with a large Diet Coke"

Sharing an amused look across the table with Sam, Jack removed his jacket from his shoulders, draping it over the empty chair. Mandy finished writing down his order, quickly running off with the order held above her, on a mission of her own, to get three members of the famous SG-1, their lunches. Picking one of the sauce packets, from the basket on the table, Jack started flopping it around, squeezing the contents to one side and then to the other, drowning out the whispers going on all around them, and the shriek from the kitchen area. He hated going out.

Teal'c slotted the menu between the sauces, clasping his hands together on the table, giving very strong vibes off that he wanted to talk about something. For a man who was silent all the time, he certainly let people know when he wanted to talk, even if he didn't say he wanted to. Now, Jack was confused, cradling his head in his hands, with Teal'c starting off his little chitchat.

"O'Neill, Samantha. I have heard from Daniel Jackson, that you are to wed Samantha?" Teal'c said, stating something they both knew, so Sam agreed with a slight nod of her head, waiting for the man to carry on. "O'Neill and Samantha, I believe if Dr Fraiser was here today, she would say you both deserved a... kick up the backside. You cannot fight feelings, which have been growing for years. You must take hold of those feelings and do something about them. I will not stand by, like Daniel Jackson, Jonas Quinn and Cassandra, and let you both break your own hearts and the others, you are having relations with"

Cringing at the hast yet calmly put words, Jack gripped the packet so hard, the sauce had no other choice but to make itself an escape route, exploding over most of the out side of his fist, and inside his hand. Discarding the unusable packet to the ashtray, he collected a handful of tissues from the dispenser, finding she was already mopping it up, before he'd chance to do it himself. Placing a hand on top of her hand, the tinkle in her eye said it was time to tell him, but the dissatisfied shake of his head said otherwise. They can wait three days to tell him, with the others present, so no one can say 'How come you told him first?' or 'Is Teal'c more a friend than I am?' She wasn't interpreting his shake of his head, in the right way at all.

"Teal'c, there's something we have to tell you" She said, when Jack's head hitting the table with a thud. "Well I'll him then, if you're not going to"

Okaying it with a simple hand gesture, she went on like she always did, whispering it to Teal'c but loud enough so Jack could hear. "Teal'c, I'm not getting married to just anyone. Jack and I, are getting married"

"Are you not bestowed to someone else, Samantha?" Teal'c stated, scrunching up his eyebrows, fusing them together instead of raising them.

"No, Jack and I have been seeing each other, the over past seven months. My fianc is Jack and his girlfriend is me" She said, gesturing between them wildly, while Jack shook his head, face down on the table. "Teal'c, we're getting married"

For a while the stoic Jaffa sat there, examining the man with his head on the table, and then the wide eye woman beside him, wanting to know if what she'd told him, had sunk into the dark depths of his mind. Slowly raising his head from the table, Jack glared at Sam across from him, gazing off above him, wondering if maybe his little pal could get him, out of this one. Massaging the back of his neck, he carefully surveyed Teal'c, moving forward to lean upon the table, his shoulders stayed completely rigid. Looking across at Sam, he gave her his knowing look, letting her know with a look, she'd just put his best friend, in the most awkward position ever. Shrugging her shoulders at him, Mandy returned to their table with their drinks, placing them down onto the table, excitedly looking to each of them.

"So... what was it like?" She asked them, hugging the tray to her chest, encouraging them all to look up to her stood beside Jack and Teal'c.

"What was what like?" Jack asked, collecting another wad of tissues to clean his hand up some more.

Rolling her eyes at them, she pointed off in some direction with the tray, returning it back to rest against her chest. "Going through the gate? I haven't been through yet, but my cousin said its better than a roller coaster. Said he felt as if he was million pieces, or something like that"

"Mandy," Sam said, gesturing for the young lady, to come closure to their table. "If you wouldn't mind. We've got something really important to talk about"

"Oh!" Mandy said, looking to each of them, Jack covered his eyes up with his hand. "You're not... you know? Going on a secret mission anywhere?"

Sam opened her mouth to correct her, but Jack had had enough of playing famous nice person, time for his evil famous person to come out. "Look, Mandy. We're trying to have a private conversation. If you wouldn't mind, we'd like to talk. You don't find me listening in on your chinwags with your girlfriends. Could you just go away?"

Before she left their table Jack knew he was in trouble, Sam was forever telling him to behave and to be nice to people, even if they were annoying the hell out of him. But he was fed up. He was fed up with people watching him. He was fed up of photographers and journalists. And most of all, he was fed up with his life. He couldn't even go out anymore, it was getting that bad now. Though the rest of them had it worse than him, he hid at his cabin while they all maintained, a place in society. Daniel was at the University, Teal'c had opened his own school, teaching people the ways of the Jaffa and such things, and Sam was working at the University and at the new SGC, carrying on her work from the old SGC. But he'd had enough of his fame. He hadn't earned it, and he didn't want it.

Glancing across the table to Sam, she was glaring. He'd seen it before, when he'd returned through the gate, ordering a scared man to his death, listening to the thud of his molecules, splattering up the other side of the iris. He hadn't like the way she'd look at him then, and today, he didn't like the way she was looking at him. She was looking at him, like he was the scum of the world. As if he'd done the worse act she could think of. Couldn't she understand the way he felt? He was trained not to be notice, he loathed being centre of attention but she wanted him to play nice, when people were coming up to him, asking him questions he didn't want to answer. Wanting to run from the mob, get back into the safety of his cabin, and live the rest of his days, in the shadows of the media.

Hunching his shoulders over, he said to her. "Don't look at me that way"

"You shouldn't have done that, Jack. She was only being nice, trying to talk to us. It wouldn't hurt you to have a conversation with someone" She spat at him, unbuttoning a button on her jacket, her eyebrows pressed down on her beautiful eyes, her annoyance getting the better of her and him. "You can't just sit there and pretend, we haven't done anything amazing, when we were at the SGC. You used to complain, that we didn't get any thanks or anything. Well here you are, Jack O'Neill. These people are thankful, yet you throw it back in their faces. You can't stop them noticing you"

"I didn't want this though. I've told you. I don't like being in the spotlight. I only leave my cabin for you and for our friends, because I don't want some photographer, sticking a lens in my face. If you can't understand that, then what are we doing ere?" He said, scarping his chair against the floor, everyone in the restaurant went quiet, he grabbed his coat from the empty seat, pausing as he leant down to get his coat. "I thought you knew me and understood me"

"O'Neill, do you not think, you are being rash?" Teal'c said, coming out of his thoughts, realising things weren't as they were, when he'd ventured into his thoughts. "Retake your seat, O'Neill"

"No!" Jack yelled at the two of them, scaring their viewing audience, but not them, they were used to his bad tempers and shouting. "If you want to talk to me, you know where I am. But other than that, I have no other reason for being here"

Shoving the empty chair towards their table, they both jumped out of their seats, with their drinks trying to catch them, spilling all over the table and down into their laps. Leaving in a hurry and a temper the size of Russia, he shoulder barged people out of the way, almost growling at people who stood in his way and didn't move quick enough. Enough was enough. If she wanted to sort this out, and for him to play nice to tourists, she knew where she could find him. Why should he play nice to people? They were invading his personal space, butting in where they weren't concerned. If he wanted the whole world to know his private life, he would've rented out a billboard years ago, displaying all his little details and such. Tonight of course, will be a whole segment, dedicated to his little display on TV. Oh what joys he had, to look forward to tonight.

Pacing up and down the length of his couch, he threw his baseball up towards the ceiling and catching it on its return to earth, watching the news from behind the couch. They'd already put his segment on, getting security surveillance tapes, to get the footage they needed. Sam and Teal'c hadn't given any statements, to the journalists, and neither of them, had rung to tell him, what an idiot he'd made of him self. Daniel, of course, had rung, asking what the hell was going on, why was Sam crying and why was Teal'c being quieter than his usual self, and what the segment on the news was about. It pained him to know, she was crying and upset. But what did she expect? He was a private man. Opening up to her sometimes, took a lot out of him, didn't she realise that? He'd told her things, he'd never told anyone, trusting her with his secrets as well as with his life. If she believed, he was like every man, she'd ever been with in her life then she was very wrong.

Slamming the baseball down, onto the kitchen counter, he turned to the television. Watching the black and white clip, show him shoving a chair at the table, and then his quick escape from the restaurant. He knew he was wrong, to have reacted that way. But he was tired and sick, of having to play nice to people, he didn't even know and wouldn't ever see again, unless some freaky coincidence happened. When he was younger, he'd never like going out but he did, keeping out of the limelight when he could, finding people who felt like he did. He'd friends, but none he would ever think about calling. Not unless they were Daniel, Cassie, Teal'c or... her. He was missing her.

Racking his fingers through his hair, he closed his eyes to the annoying TV images, the constant chatting of the reporter, shutting out the whole world. Pretending she was there with him. Concentrating hard enough, he could actually smell her perfume, the calming cent of her, floating about his once manly cabin. She'd changed everything, that day she'd walked through that door, the cheekiness and excitement he saw in her eyes that day, told him all he'd ever need to know. She was his kinda girl. With the regulations in the way, he knew his ideal girl would have to wait, so he'd looked else, hopelessly coming back to her every time.

Getting back from Eldora, his thoughts had been surrounded with Laira, wondering if she'd be okay, was he making the right decision about returning. Arriving home with her beside him though, he knew he'd made a fool of himself and deserved, all of the treatment she'd given to him when he'd returned. Those pesky feelings punished him, and so did she. Spacing herself away from him, ending their night time chitchats, to a 'goodnight, sir' and 'I'll take third watch if you want, sir'. He'd been so stupid, and even now, when it concerned her, he was being stupid. Who cared who saw him? It wasn't like people saw him before, it was taking him a while though, to get used to people, throwing themselves at him and wanting his autograph. He wasn't used to the attention.

Opening his eyes he sought out the phone, studying each surface that could posses, the black plastic rectangle phone, giving him a way of getting in contact with Sam. Climbing over the stuffed cosy couch, he cleared the coffee table of the car and bike magazines, some of hers and some of his, digging out the black house phone, from the mess of the coffee table. Shaking his head at the new formed piled of magazines on the floor, he automatically dialled her cellular, performing the simple act without looking, falling backwards into the engulfing cushions of the couch. Punching the cushion beside him, wriggling into the cushions to get comfortable, the phone rung and rung, slowly annoying him that she wasn't answering her phone, quick enough. She was always punctual.

Simmering down his temper, knowing it wouldn't help getting annoyed, he traced his finger down the ceased of his jeans, his eyes roving over the interior of his cabin. On the fifteenth ring, she finally answered the phone, the quiet sounds of her breathing, washed down over the receiver, telling him he was being listened to.

"I'm sorry for exploding in the restaurant" He said, looking at the photo of them, sat on the mantelpiece, the pair of them sat cuddled up, on the picnic bench he'd outside. "You know, how I get when things get to me? I bottled things up, accumulating them up till I just break, and I reached my breaking point today"

"Jack, I don't want to hear excuses for your outbreak, today" She said very unwelcomingly down the phone. "How could you, have said that I don't know you? I know you better than I know myself. I know that since you got home, you've been pacing up and down behind the couch, throwing Charlie's baseball up and down, mulling and peeved at yourself and at anyone else you could blame for today. I know you like the back of my hand, and you had the cheek, to turn round and say, I didn't know you and understand you. Do you know how much it hurts, hearing you say that to me? Do you?"

"I'm sorry, Sam. I didn't mean it, but it was like you were ganging up with them. Making it even more difficult for me, to actually be out in public" He exclaimed sitting forward onto his knees, slapping the side of his face slightly, hating what he'd done to her. "Even before the SGC went public, you knew I didn't spend much time out, keeping myself to myself when I could. But I at least could go out back then, and not have to worry about some photographer, shoving a camera in my face. Now, all I ever see is people whispering about me, about us. About SG-1"

The long sighed was music to him, down the phone, but so was her voice, and the sound of her snoring. "Jack, this is not a problem, we are going to be able to solve. The whole world knows who we are, we're in the public eye twenty-four seven. We're people others look up to, because of what we went through. How many people can say, they've faced Replicators? Or a whole army of Jaffa, when the odds, have been against us? Not many. People just want a piece of it, and we, and others from the SGC, are the only people who can give it to them"

'Why does she always have to right?' he thought to himself, picking at something invisible, causing a bump, on the surface of his glass coffee table. "I see your point"

"I don't think you do really, because I know you. It'll build up again and we'll end up back to square one with you. But I'm scared that one day, you'll... do something stupid" She said, shying away with her thought, rethinking on the spot, what she was trying to say.

"Scared I'll do what? Sam, if you're scared I'll do something to you, then you are nuts. I would never raise a finger to you" His voice waver slightly, unable to see how she could think, he'd ever hurt her intentionally.

"Its not me, I'm worried about" She said quietly down the phone, forcing him to listen more carefully, stopping his intake of breath, so he was able to hear her. "It's everyone else, the public, I'm scared about"

"Sam, don't be stupid. I won't hurt a fly unless I had to. I'm not going to just lose my rag, and go off killing people who talk to me" He joked getting up from the couch, sliding across the wooden floor of his cabin, with his socked clad feet.

Her voice became sterner, bringing everything to a close. "Jack, you've either got to sort this out, in your head, or there won't be an us. Do you understand? I can't have you flying off the hook, scaring me and hurting others. I know this, might seemed stupid to you. But I love you, I don't want to ever see the fury, I saw in your eyes today, again. I want the strong, caring and loving man I fell in love with. Who's able to stand all the new attention he's getting. We'll talk it through at the party, otherwise that's it, Jack"

Before he could answer her, trying to argue his point over the phone, the line went dead with its dull one tone, badgering him to put the phone down. Frowning at his confusion and at her words, he was certainly glad he had three days to figure this out. She was asking him, to break something he'd developed, over the years. His only defence against the world, strengthened in his few years of isolation, keeping himself to himself after Charlie's death. Once he had thought, she'd asked him the ultimate sacrifice of his standards. Wanting him to take a snake, go against all of his believes, and take a damn snake, so he wouldn't die. The pain he'd seen her eyes, leaning over him, he couldn't stand to see it, giving into her without a second thought.

Now she was asking him to do it again, decide something for her, for them. It scared him, that she was willing to give up what they had, put their relationship on the chopping board, posing the knife ready to chop it in half, if he didn't get this sorted in his head. It was certainly going to take a miracle.

The streetlamps shone down over his truck, highlighting the streets for him, driving at his own comfortable pace, letting the clock tell him, he was running late for his own engagement party. There were several missed calls on his cellular, ignoring her cries, letting her ring and ring till she'd given up or taken a break. The past three days, he hadn't slept, he hadn't showered and he hadn't said a word to anybody. Sat on the jetty of the lake, he mulled and argued with himself, trying his best to get his head sorted, to do what Sam had asked of him. He couldn't do it. That morning, at half past two exactly, he finally came to his decision, giving everyone, what they wanted. He'd already spoken to his buddy about it, between getting out of the shower and having a decent meal, organising the pick up for tomorrow afternoon. His things were packed ready to be taken, when he was pick up, leaving his cabin so he could come back to it later.

She'd forced him to come to this conclusion, to put their relationship on the line, had been the worst decision she'd ever made. By doing that, she threatened the only thing that kept him going, through the years, erupting one of his basic instincts. Protection. He had to protect what he'd got left. If she was willing, to put their relationship on the line, then so was he. How dare she, have the guts, to threaten their relationship? He hadn't let some Goa'uld or Tok'ra threaten their relationship, so there was no way in hell he was going, to let her threaten it. Not after all the fighting, the heartache they'd both gone through and the years they'd wasted. She for once would make the decision. Did she want him, or was everything else she had, more important to her?

Squealing round the corner of her street, he coasted past all of the cars, lining the street, spotting a space some way down the street. Passing the busy house at a steady speed, he saw them all mingling out on the front and inside, people drinking their drinks and having a good old chitchat. One or two, noticed him drive by, clambering their way down the steps, moving to meet him halfway, when he walked up the pavement. Swinging the truck quickly into the parking spot, he turned the ignition off while he got out, slamming the door coldly behind him. He didn't even lock it, just strode purposely across the road, squeezing between two parked cars. Looking up from the protective cover of his sunglasses, Daniel carried on walking towards him, asking Sam why'd she stopped. She knew why and so did he. By the way his shoulders were hunched over, his whole manner of stance and walking, told her he was here to be serious and not for long.

Yanking his sunglasses from in front of his eyes, he accused her with them, walking straight passed Daniel, saying. "This time I won't be making the sacrifice. I've done it too many times before. Taking a damn snake, for you, wasn't enough was it? But this time Sam, it's not gonna be me. I refuse to change. This is me. This is who you fell in love with, and I'm not gonna change for no one, not even you. I shouldn't have to change, and I don't expect the world to change to suit me"

Her eyes were wide with surprise, darting her eyes everywhere but at him, she glanced o him from time to time, unsure of how to feel or what to say to him. Daniel, came stuttering passed him, his glasses being cleaned, on the end of his tie, consulting the two of them. "May I ask what the hell's going on? And where's your girlfriend, Jack?"

"She's right there." Jack said, hooking his sunglasses to his pullover, motioning in the direction of Sam. "Sam's my girlfriend"

"You two... I don't believe this!" Daniel shouted at the top of his lungs, flinging his hands up into the air. "Why didn't you two tell anyone? Or didn't you think this was important? Or something one of your best friends should know? Jesus you two!"

Wiping a hand over her mouth, she crooked her head to one side, sloughing down in height. "Daniel, can you give us a minute?"

"No, he can stay. I ain't staying long, only 'ere to ask you something, then I'm going" Crossing his arms over his chest, noticing a few of the guests, spilling out onto the pavement, wondering what was the shouting about. "Tomorrow afternoon I'm leaving, I'm taking Thor up, on that job. He offered me, a few months ago. I'm only here to see, if you're coming with me? What's more important to you? Me or this?" He said gesturing to the houses, to the world in general.

"You can't ask me to do that!" She yelled at him, flabbergasted that he would have the nerve, to ask her, to give up everything for him.

Chuckling down at the ground, he looked back up to her, saying. "So how come you can ask me, to take a snake and now, you're asking me change, to suit the world? How can you ask me to do that? Thought when you loved someone, you love them, for who they are! There are several things I'd change about you too! But I love you the way you are! If you can't do the same in return, then I'll see you, and everyone else, whenever I'm back!"

Throwing his hand up at her direction, dismissing the conversation and everyone else, who was listening to their unfriendly banter, he unhooked his sunglasses, hearing the hiccup of a cry, come from her while he squeezed passed, two parked cars again. Over his shoulder he could hear Daniel, asking her for an explanation, giving him the chance to get away from her. She'd gotten what she wanted. All their family and friends, now know that there was something, or is something between them. But for forever long, would be determined by her. He loved her, and that was what pained him, the most. His love for her was undiminished. There was no end to how much he loved her, yet he still had to do this. She'd brought him to this, made him make this about them.

Yanking his truck door opened, he didn't glanced back but he heard, the stampede of her feet, coming across the road to him. Pulling the door closed he locked it, watching her slammed herself up the outside of his door, tugging at the handle, wanting him to get back out. It took everything he had, to slot the key in the ignition, blanking out her pained face, cursing himself for doing this to her. Glancing at while he put his truck into gear, the tears staining her face began to stain his own, feeling everything she felt. With his insides screwing up, he tapped on the gas a little, rocking the truck forward, scaring her to move away. Jumping a few feet away from his truck, he got out of there before he lost all control over himself. Viciously wiping away the tears, he skidded round the corner of her road, knowing he'd probably killed the only thing, the only one thing, in this world, that kept him here. She was going to hate him after this.

Standing in the open doorway, leading onto his back porch, he sipped at his hot mug of coffee, a slight shiver ran down his spine, from wearing a pair of baggy shorts and a t-shirt, which he'd worn for bed that night. The night had been silent after he unplugged his phone, from the wall, and even through the night, he heard his cellular vibrate, on his bedside table. After a while he'd checked it when it finally stopped, vibrating all over his bedside table, already knowing that most of the messages, would be from her. She'd pleaded, through text messages, for him not to go, not to leave his cabin and go away for good, wait till she got there tomorrow, so they could talk this out. It seemed to him, his little sub-defuse had panned out, the way he'd wanted it too. He'd scared her. Threaten their relationship like she'd done to him, turned the tables on her, so she felt what he'd felt, when she'd told him down the phone. He didn't like having his pride processions, being taken away from him, he'd become very attached to things, when he'd finally gotten, or at least, was able to deal with Charlie's death. Knowing he should never, take anything good that was happening to him, for good.

Slinging the rest of his coffee, over the side of the railing, he checked his fishing gear was all sat, ready and waiting at the corner of the cabin, so all Geoff had to do, when he came to pick him up, was reverse up and sling it into the back. He'd finally found Geoff's number in his little tin, organising the little fishing trip, they used to go on every year, though last year he'd had to miss out on it. Some damn ceremony or another, had cropped up and the General, still his commanding officer at the time, insisted that'd he'd come and make his first appearance, to the public and the reporters. Another reason, he went to the ceremony, was so him and Sam, could carry on their conversation, that they'd been having at Cassie's party, getting it sorted before he went nuts in the head. Though he already was, that wasn't the point. All he remembered, about the ceremony, was standing at the doors with them, when they were declaring the Stargate complex open, and that she'd looked mighty fine that day. When they'd been mingling, or she and the others had been mingling, he'd watched her from across the room, ignoring her and Daniel's calls, for him to come over. Memorised by how stunning she'd looked, in a long black skirt and a tight white shirt. Her hair was all mused up in her usual fashion, but he just couldn't get over, how good she'd actually looked.

Rinsing his mug underneath the tap, he flicked some bits out from underneath his foot, hearing the distant sounds of a car, coming up the track. It was still a far distant away, but he could already tell it was Geoff, the roaring of the engine, as the nutcase, raced his way up the pot-holed track, rekindling his teenaged years. Sometimes he really wondered about Geoff, knowing him from the academy, losing contact till some Christmas party, about eight years ago. Leaving the mug upside down on the draining board, he quickly wiped at the bottom of his foot, hopping and tripping his way to the door, dumbfounded when he saw the extra passenger in the car. Geoff looked like he'd committed the sins of sins. Probably giving into Sam's phone calls, wanting to know what was said to him, knowing him only as a voice over the phone. Well... it looked like he wouldn't, have to make excuses for Geoff anymore, wanting neither of them to meet, telling her embarrassing stories from his academy days.

Stripping his t-shirt off up and over his head, he padded his way into his bedroom, flinging the dirty t-shirt to the pile in the corner, yanking another clean top, out of the washing basket, still sat on the dressing table, where Sam had left it. Fighting with his t-shirt, to go over his head, he wriggled out of his shorts, selecting a clean pair of boxers from the basket, pulling them on when he heard the front door open. Kicking the bedroom door close behind him, he flung open his wardrobe door, grabbing whatever pair of pants that came to hand first, fastening them into place, when she knocked on the bedroom door.

"Jack, I want to talk to you" She said through the door, the hurt of what she'd probably gone through during the night, was heard in her voice.

"I'll be out in a minute" He called through the door, quickly straightening the bed and collecting his dirty clothes together. "Just... ya know, go do something and I'll be out in a minute"

Her soft uneasy footsteps gradually went away, hurriedly rushing into the bathroom, he lifted up the lid on the laundry basket, with his toes, stuffing all of the clothes inside. Dragging his fingers through his hair, looking at his reflection in the mirror, he backed out of the door, putting himself into some order. He couldn't hear her in the other half of the cabin, but he knew she was still there. Somehow he could always tell when she was there, some mornings he'd wake up, knowing she was in Washington that morning, but even before he'd opened his bedroom door, he knew she was on the other side, watching the news like she does.

Bracing his hand over the doorknob, he counted to himself and then opened the door, smiling shyly at her, stood near the front doorway, talking to Geoff, who was still stood outside. Waving a dejected hand at Geoff, Geoff's head jerked towards the other end of the cabin, where his fishing gear was waiting, asking the most silent of questions, with Sam being in the room. Not wanting to offend her, by telling her to make it quick, he wiped at his mouth, signalling with his eyes, to go ahead and load it on. With Geoff's form disappearing out of sight, things became unsettling between them fast, especially with her hands on her hips and the look she was giving him.

"Why the hell haven't you been answering the phone? Or any of my text messages? Has your ability to communicate with anyone, gone out the window, like your heart?" She demanded, sweeping her gaze over his body, and then about the cabin, checking her clean and tidy environment was just how she left it, five days ago.

Swiping a hand underneath his nose, he shrugged his shoulders at her. "I unplugged the phone and didn't want to reply to you. You needed to think, and I'm gonna need an answer real soon, cos Geoff and me wanna get going, so we can get to lake Tahoe" He said indicating to his watch on his wrist.

Crinkling up her eyebrows at him, she said. "You're not leaving then? Thought you were taking the job, Thor had offer you?"

"I have, just it be earth bound. Just Geoff and me... decided we're spend a month or so, at his friends cabin, he's got at lake..."

The slap across his face shocked him at first, but not as much as the tears, welling in the corner of her eyes. "How could you let me think, that you'd be leaving for good? Leaving me to go off with Thor, for months on end. Do you know what I went through last night?"

He touched the sensitive skin, reddening with the blood rushing to the surface, saying. "Made you think about me for once, instead of taking me for granted, didn't it? And I bet you didn't think about changing me either?"

"Jack, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked you to do that. But if you had let me, talk to you, before you went driving off and before you bitten my head off, I was going to apologise and tell you to forget it. I love you and even all of your stupid ways". She said, taking a short step towards him, examining the hand mark on the side of his face. "But you make me so angry sometimes, with some of the things you do and say"

"So all those years, you confused me with techno babble, I should tell you to stop it, because it makes me angry. Is that what you're trying to say?" He said, removing his hand from his cheek, standing proudly, making the pain into nothing.

"That's not what I'm saying. I was wrong, okay? Sam Carter was wrong, and I'm sorry" She said, cradling his face between her hands, aware to take great care over his cheek, that was still red and had her hand mark on. "I'm sorry. Don't leave"

"I'm coming back. It's not like you can't come as well, with that transportor thingy. I'm sure Geoff won't mind you, tagging along with us" Jack said, seeing Geoff pointing at his watching through the window, his car sat patiently waiting, with their things tied down to the roof of the car, and protruding out of the back windows.

She looked thoughtful for a while, trailing her hands down the front of his t-shirt, the cogs in her brain, working to a lower capacity, than they were used to. A small smile formed from lips, patting her hand against his chest, she shook her head. "Nah, you go"

"You sure, cos we can do some talking and that lot while were there. Get away from all the media, have some time for us" He said in his best persuading voice, brushing the odd bit of her hair, behind her ear.

"No, no. I think we could use the time to think, and then when you get back, we'll talk this whole thing out. While you're gone, I'll sort the media out, announce our engagement. So by the time you get back, the media won't be in a frenzy over it, and things will be calm"

Nodding his head at her, he kissed her lips quickly, catching a glimpse of Geoff pulling his hair out, or what there was left of it. Fearing his friend baldness, he snatched his back pack up from in front of the closet, turning back to look at Sam, stood in the middle of the hallway. He was wrong. She wasn't just a knock out when he first saw her, or when they'd gone to the ceremony. She was a knock out all the time.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katmellie