Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Ultimate Soldier, The

by Katmellie
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
The Ultimate Soldier

The Ultimate Soldier

by Katmellie

Summary: Will Sam find a way for Jack to home, and save the day?
Category: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Future Story, Humor, Romance
Season: Season 6
Pairing: Jack/Sam
Rating: PG
Warnings: character death, language, violence
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. I have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the author(s).
Archived on: 06/09/03

A month and a half, she'd been looking for this scientist, and his stupid laboratory, that would help the Colonel. Hammond had given her all the time in the world, to try and find away to the Colonel back with them, and something to cancel the cue words. The problem was though, she'd found the crazy scientist, and his lab, but the whole place had been burnt to a crisp. And so was the good doctor. All the computers in the lab, had had their hard drives removed, so somewhere out there. There are the plans and files, for this stupid machine her father had told her about, before retreating through the gate, when they'd come after him. Whoever had been in control of this experiment, they certainly wanted anything from a paperclip to a high-ranking General destroyed, anyone that had seen anything on Project JO.

Project JO was supposed to lead the way in training, the Governments Black Ops division, the soldiers wouldn't remember their missions, so they wouldn't suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). From some research, a German Psychologist had done, he found that the subconscious mind held great strength. So, when the soldiers were in one of their trances, they'd have extraordinary strengthen, just liked she'd seen when the Colonel broke out of his cuffs. They'd also be trained to be great strategists and escapees, always figuring a way out of a situation, if they ran into trouble on their mission. The soldiers would also have implants put into them, a tracker in the inside of their left legs, their hearing heighten by an adapted cochlear implant, in their inner ear, and various other implants.

Looking around the burnt out lab, she picked up the odd black object, dropping it to the floor when it wasn't much but a beaker. The filing cabinets had been blown from the inside; a small grenade thrown inside and then the draw was shut, keeping most of the explosion isolated within the cabinet, destroying the files and folders kept inside it. The smell of the burnt corpse, made her covered her mouth and nose; it was making her feel sick. But she was kept going by the hope, there was something there that had survived; something that would lead her to the removed hard drives.

Everything was black or covered in debris, pulling her long black coat around her, she stepped over a computer screen that had been knocked off the side, looking up at Jonas when he came in the room. "Have you found anything?" Jonas shook his head, looking at the damaged in the room, raising his gloved hand to cover his mouth and nose. Kicking at a pile of burnt files, the pile fell across the floor in front of her, she just walked over them, looking to something else, while Jonas knelt down and looked at them. She tried pulling open one of the draws, in the counter top lining the wall by the door, finding it to locked, the key no where in sight.

Kneeling down in front of the draw, she took her lock picking kit out, from the back pocket of her leather trousers, deciding which one would be best to use on the lock. Unzipping the kit open, she laid it open on top of the counter top, when Jonas tapped her on the shoulder. She looked up at him, to find him holding a picture in his hands. Standing up, she brushed off some of the debris that had got onto her trousers, from kneeling on the floor. Taking the picture from Jonas, she took a long look at the picture; it was parade picture of about ten men. Turning the picture over she found, written on the back was 'Candidates 50 to 59', she switched back over to the other side, scanning the faces on the picture.

There he was, cheekily grinning at the photographer, making bunny rabbit ears behind the person next to him. She chuckled at the picture, forgetting for a moment why they're there, releasing for the first time in a whole week, how much she missed his sense of humour, missed everything about him, even his smell. "There's another familiar face in that picture, Sam" Looking to where his finger was pointing, she found a man who was on her death list, only that wild animal got him, according to the Colonel. The guy was so out of it from eating that plant, he went off to pick a fight with a wild boar, how nuts could a guy get?

Handing Jonas the picture back, she picked up her kit from the counter top, zipping it closed before shoving it in her back pocket. Moving passed Jonas; she gave the room one last look over, going out into the corridor that led to fresh air. Shoving the fire exit door opened, she took a deep breathe of the fresh air, unspoilt by the decaying corpse in that lab. "So, where we going now Sam?" Taking her sunglasses out of her pocket, she shrugged her shoulders, putting them on into place, watching their car drive across from the front entrance to where they'd come out. She didn't think she could be up for driving; her stomach was threatening to show her, what her breakfast looked like after being in her stomach for a good hour. Climbing into the passenger seat, she smiled at Teal'c putting her seat belt on, hearing the back door shut after Jonas got in. Teal'c turned the car round, heading out of the car park, turning in the direction of the military airport.

Reaching into her inside pocket of her coat, she brought out her cellular, flicking open the cover, she pressed the number on the speed dial, directly ringing the phone in Hammond's office. Holding the phone to her ear, she picked at the black bits that covered her white blouse, cursing herself for wearing something that could get marked. "General Hammond" Wiping the last bit from her top, she sat up straighter in her seat, watching Teal'c's driving out of the corner of her eye. "Sir, we've found out, who one of the other candidates was" She could hear paper rustling, on the other side, and then the clicking of a pen. "It was Colonel Maybourne, sir" The pen, on the other side of the phone, must have dropped onto the table, the metal casing clanked against the oak table. "I'll see what I can do. When you get back to Colorado, I need you to go to the Colonel's house. He's sent a list of... demands through for some clean clothes, his shaving kit, his Gameboy... the list goes on. Just get him, what you think will keep him occupied, Major. Then I want all of you back at the base, ASAP" Nodding her head at the windscreen in front of her, she ended the call, putting the phone back into the inside pocket of her coat.

Sinking back into her seat, she leant onto the arm of the door, watching the town passed her by, wondering what he's doing in the Land of the Light. Teal'c went through, a week after the Colonel had gone through, taking him to Bra'tact and Ry'act, knowing they'd both protect him and keep him busy. The Colonel might even learn something from Bra'tact's teachings, just as long as neither of them mention 'assassin' like they'd been told, then the Colonel would learn something instead of trying to kill everyone, to get through the gate and to the now burnt down lab.

Arriving outside the Colonel's house, they all got out of her car, Jonas climbing out of the back, falling out onto the side walk when he got his foot trap. The house looked like it did the last time she'd been, from she'd driven past one night, with the intention of telling him she was leaving, but then changed her mind and carried on driving. The garden was a little over grown, being left to its own devices, for the time the Colonel had been gone, but still looked quite tranquil and fitted in with the house. Walking up the steps to the garden path, she pointed to Jonas to grab the mail, sticking out of the mailbox and the pile in the carried bag, sat at the base of the mailbox. Her and Teal'c carried on up the garden path, she searched through her key chain for the door key, finding the purple nail polished marked key, she dangled them by the single key, separating it from the others.

Climbing onto the porch, she noted the newspapers, piling up by the front of the door, at least the Colonel's newspaper boy or girl, could throw it to the front door, hers always seemed to throw it just to the end of her driveway. Sliding the key into the lock, she found it to be eerie to go in there, without the Colonel, able to go searching through his things without his knowing. Turning the key in the lock, it clicked when the lock reseeded into the door, allowing them access to the house, making her glad the Colonel hadn't changed his locks since he'd given her a key. Pushing the door open, she took the key from the lock, stepping into the hallway. Teal'c came in behind her, quickly going into the closet to deactivate the alarm, showing how familiar he was with the Colonel's house. She hated that she wasn't accustom with the house, like Teal'c was, Teal'c walked off down some hallway, knowing exactly where everything was and lived.

Shoving the keys into her pocket, she stepped down into the living room, surprise at how un-bachelor pad it was, every thing neatly put away with a comfortable feel to the room. Parting her coat apart, putting her hands into her pockets, she wandered around the room, looking at the books on the bookshelves. In the hallway, she heard Jonas come in, leaving the front door open, going off down the hallway Teal'c had gone down. Picking one of the books out from the middle shelve, she noticed some red behind it, hiding behind the books at the very back out of sight. Dropping the book onto the coffee table, she pulled it across the floor, curious at her discovery that hid behind the books on the bookshelf. Taking five of the books off the book shelve, she dropped them onto the coffee table with the other one, pulling out a photo album.

Opening the cover, she found a baby having a bath, staring back at her, his dark brown eyes showing his enjoyment of playing in the tub. Turning the page, another picture shouted out happy family at her, a younger Colonel, lying on his back in, what she presumed to be, the backyard, holding his son above him, smiling at the youngster. Smiling at the picture, she trailed a finger over the baby's face and over the Colonel's. "Sam, we've got the Colonel's clothes. We're just going to put them in the car" She nodded her head at the photo album, turning the page, to find another picture of the Colonel and baby Charlie, asleep on a couch. Wiping the lone tear from her face, she closed the photo album, replacing everything back where she'd gotten it from, the books being placed in the same order that she had found them.

Leaving the living room, she went along the hallway that Teal'c and Jonas had gone down, there're pictures of them on the walls, of SG-1, hanging along the wall of the hallway. Carrying on down the hallway, she stopped when she could hear something beeping, opening the door where the beeps were coming from. The room's dark with the blinds being shut, she tried trying flicking the light on, but nothing happened. Rolling her eyes at the Colonel's bad maintenance, she crossed the room over to the blinds, drawing them back to light up the study. Surprise at how much a difference it made to the room, having the blinds drawn back, she took the room in. The very traditional red oak desk, green leather chair with a flashing timer, counting down twenty seconds, the... her eyes widen in shock before darting out of the room, slipping on the vanished floor. Running down the hallway, she grabbed at the pictures, saving whatever mementos, she could on the way out.

Throwing her self through the open front door, rolling down the steps of the porch, covering her self up from the blast, ready and prepared for the explosion. From the sidewalk, she heard Jonas and Teal'c calling to her, asking her what was wrong or what's she doing. They're silence and knocked back by the explosion, the windows blowing out, sending glass over the garden and over her, the curtains made good fire balls, sailing through the air to land on the road and on the garden. Looking up at the house, she could see the fire dancing around the top of the front door, when it suddenly hit her. She had to go back inside to save him; the Colonel had already lost him once in his life. A second time, could just tip the balance of his sanity, with every thing else that had happened to him lately.

Pushing herself to her feet, leaving the pictures she'd collected on her dash out, she ran back inside, the protests of Teal'c and Jonas following her in. Coughing her way through the smoke, she jumped the steps down into the living room, missing the fire at the base of them. Throwing the books from the bookshelf into a nearby fire, she grabbed the photo album from the bookshelf, cowering when the house creaked; the ceiling fell down over where the steps to the hallway were.

Clutching the photo album to her chest, she covered her face with the sleeve of her coat, looking round for another escape route. Wrapping her coat round the photo album, she ran to the big windows, leading into the backyard. Covering her face with her arm, she jumped through the window, falling down onto the garden furniture outside, collapsing the table with the force of her fall.

Picking herself up, she shook the glass out of her hair, looking up to see the fire, coming out the top of the broken window, setting wood that covered the outside, of the house, a light. Stumbling round the corner, to the side gate, she pulled it open, coughing into her arm, staggering round to the front, finding both Teal'c and Jonas, watching the house in anticipation of her returning, through the front door. "Hey... (She coughs) Hey!" They looked to her quicker than lighting, running across the front yard's jungle, jumping down the sidewall to her. Passing the photo album to Teal'c, she leaned against the wall, taking deep breaths of fresh air, thankful for it twice in one day.

Handing Jonas her cellular, she made some thing that sounded like 'call the base and emergency services', sinking down onto the slab path, leading from the back gate to the driveway. She started having a dry coughing fit, fiddling in her pocket to get a hanky out, using it to cover her mouth. Teal'c helped her to her feet, when she held a hand out to him, holding the unharmed photo album under his arm. Leaning onto Teal'c for some support, she noticed her knee was bleeding and there was a trickle of blood, coming down the side of her face. Holding the hanky to her forehead, she winched at the pain, but held it there, sitting down onto the kerb of the sidewalk.

Sitting round the briefing room table, she rested her head on her folded arms, resting her eyes for past half hour, letting the others tell the General, about the lab and the Colonel's house. When they'd driven up to the base, there'd been a fire truck there, putting out the burning wreckage of the Colonel's truck, when he found out about it, he would not be a happy bunny. Whoever was after the Colonel and her father now, were certainly going to great lengths to have everything involved in the program destroyed, even the things that belonged to the person involved. It worried her that they may go after Cassie and Janet, both were linked to the Colonel in some way, some of Cassie's friends even suspect that the Colonel is Cassie's dad, the amount of time they hang out together.

Slowly opening her eyes, she blinked away the need to sleep; the painkillers were making her sleepy, pushing her up from the tabletop, sighing in contempt of a good sleep. The best she'd had since the Colonel had gone. Rubbing the back of her neck, she looked to the General drowsily, listening to what he was saying to Teal'c and Jonas. "I had the CSI hurry their investigation, the bomb's timer was set off, when the burglar alarm was deactivated. Unless the Colonel adapted the burglar alarm, I don't think it was accident" Covering her mouth when she was yawning, she shook the sleep from her head, making her slightly light headed. She sat forward, taking on her proper manner, when she'd normally sit at the briefing table. Her eyes kept wanting to close, make her go back to sleep. She was starting to get the idea, Janet didn't just give her something for the pain in that injection, maybe even a sedative that was very slowly working.

Placing her head in her hand, she looked down at the report that had been slid across the table to her. Looking at the pictures of the bent metal casing, which had held the bomb inside on the chair, the aftermath of the study and to the house. The Colonel wasn't going to be happy when he came home, no sir. "I've contacted the Tok'ra, hopefully in a few minutes, Colonel Maybourne will be joining us" She looked up in shock from the pictures. "I know, Major. In the Colonel's official report, Maybourne was killed by a wild boar. Unofficially though, Maybourne's out there causing problems for the Tok'ra instead of for us, they'd said they'd keep an eye on him" With wishful thinking, the gate started spinning behind them, down in the gate room. Davies's voice echoed over the intercom, alerting everyone to an off world activation and then that it was the Tok'ra.

Hammond dismissed them, leaving the room down the steps, into the control room; Teal'c came round the table to her, helping her out of her seat. He held her still, reattaching the steri-strips across the cut, on her forehead. Patting him on the chest, she walked passed them both, leading the way down the stairs into the control room, just in time to watch the gate activate. All the screens flashed with Tok'ra IDC, the iris opening immediately after that. Looking to the top of the gate, she watched her father step through, weapon in hand, and then Maybourne came through next to him, handgun in hand as well. The gate closed behind them, it took everything she'd got, to stop her self from running, or limp now her leg was hurt, down the steps and into the gate room, to pound the living daylights out of Maybourne. The smug look he had on his face, even warranted that he be smacked in the face a few times.

Standing behind the General, she watched her father lead the way into the control room, Maybourne coming up behind him, looking over the control stations. Giving her father a quick hug, glaring at Maybourne over his shoulder, she patted his back, pulling away to take back on her military persona. "Well, I would say I was glad I'm back. But from the looks you people are giving me, you'd think I'd stole candy from you, when you were babies" Maybourne suddenly fell against the control panel and a technician, Jonas stood nursing his hand, creeping back behind Teal'c for protection. Jacob helped Maybourne to his feet, checking his face where the blood slowly oozed out from the cut on his lip. For some reason, Maybourne was chuckling, wiping the blood away with the back of his hand.

Hiding her smirked behind her hand, she looked to Teal'c to find him praising Jonas, looking at his hand for him. "Maybourne, do you know anything about Project JO?" The bad Colonel looked stumped, scratching at his beard, mumbling something to him self, ignoring everyone else in the room. After a while he shook his head, shoving his hands into his pants, looking to them to tell him. Hammond took a step forward towards Maybourne. "In the early eighties, did you sign up for an experiment?" He shook his head; Teal'c took the picture out of his pocket and handed it to him. "Evidence proves otherwise, Colonel Maybourne" Teal'c looked very smug about pointing that out to him. "Oh, god. O'Neill's involved in... where's he anyway?" Her head dropped, she didn't want to think about where he was, even though he was save, she wanted him to there with her, knocking some sense into Maybourne with her, if she let herself lose control.

Maybourne gave the picture back to Teal'c, folding his arms across his chest, playing with a tuff of hair on his chin. For some reason, she could see cogs moving in his head, the same way she saw them moving in the Colonel. "If you want, I'll hack into the NID files and see if they've got anything. I'll try and help if I can" Someone ought to send this guy back, where's the real Maybourne? "Thank you, Colonel. It'd be most appreciated. Davies" Davies stood up from his station, coming to stand behind the General. "Take Colonel Maybourne to a computer on level thirteen, but... keep an eye on him" Maybourne smiled passing the General to follow Davies, it brought a smile to her lips as well, thankful that the General wasn't going to trust Maybourne, even though he's going to help them.

Leaning up Teal'c, she shook her head, trying to stay awake but her eyes were slowly closing, nothing she did seemed to stop them. Someone lifted her up into his arms, talking to someone while carrying her somewhere. She usually didn't dream much nowadays, her mind was usually full of equations and of diagrams for future inventions. But venturing deeper into her subconscious, she found herself stepping through the gate, to the Land of the Light. Slowly she made her way through the forest, coming out onto the wide clearing of light, finding him there waiting for her, picnic basket sat next to him on the ground, laying out on a blanket. Unclipping her backpack from her back, she let it dropped to the ground, forgetting the unneeded necessity, stripping herself of all her weapons, leaving them behind her on the ground, making her way to the blanket.

He sat there eating an apple, watching her approached and then sit down on the blanket, untying her boots laces, kicking them off to forget them. Taking one last bite from the apple, he threw it off somewhere to be forgotten, opening the picnic basket. Unzipping her jacket, she watched him reached into the basket, bringing out a bottle of champagne and a bowl of strawberries. Pulling her arms out of jacket, she folded it up and placed it at the head of the blanket, ready to used if she wanted to rest her head. "So, Carter. How's ya search going? Find anything at that lab?" The cork of the champagne, flew off somewhere in the clearing, a rush of bubbles followed it out; he quickly poured some into each glass that had appeared out of nowhere. "Well... it'd miraculously suffered from a fire. The scientist left to be burnt to a crisp, so no lot really. Although, oh thanks (taking the offered glass of champagne) Jonas found a picture, it seems that Maybourne was involved too" He nodded his head, sipping at the champagne, picking a juicy strawberry out of the bowl.

Sipping at her own glass, she looked round the clearing, finding it only to be them, alone for once in their lives. "Carter" Turning back round to face him, she found him sat right next to her, her self control was slowly being lost into his eyes. She jumped slightly when his hand touched her cheek; his thumb caused a tingling feeling to run up and down her spine, wanting him to touch her all over so it would happen again. He leaned forward towards her, lowering her backwards onto the blanket, moving her jacket to rest under her head. Their lips met with tenderness and care, kissing slow and passionately, his hands travelling places under her t-shirt.

Watching Teal'c and Jacob go through the gate, she wished she was going too, taking the Colonel his things that they'd managed to save or fix. She'd made sure that all the pictures were okay, safely wrapped in one of the Colonel's jumpers, in the bottom of his bag. Turning away from the gate when it closed, she made her way up the stairs, returning to where she'd left Jonas and Maybourne, going over the things that he'd found and printed off. None of it made sense, there're odd bits that mention Project JO, but nothing so far on where they'd find the removed hard drives. Dropping into the chair at the head of the table, Maybourne to her left and Jonas to her right, she picked up the file she'd been reading before going down, to see Teal'c and her father off. Three days they'd been reading this stuff, finding out some things and laughing about others. It's like Maybourne printed off everything from the NID's database, no matter if it'd nothing to do with Project JO.

Maybourne got up out of his seat, still reading whatever he's reading, taking his coffee mug with him, walking aimlessly towards the coffee machine, someone had kindly set up for them. Turning the page, she found her phone bill, staring her in the face. "Maybourne, why's my phone bill here?" He dumped to teaspoons of sugar into his mug. "They must have it tapped, you ought to just have it took out, causes more hassle than their worth" Nodding her head, she screwed the piece of paper up, throwing it over her shoulder to join the others, she'd classed 'Waste of Tax Payers Money'. Looking at the next piece of paper, the Colonel's phone bill had lot of the same numbers that were on hers, the pizza delivery place and the Chinese takeaway.

The whole file went up and over her head to the pile of 'Waste of Tax Payers Money'; she rubbed a hand over her face. She found a cup of coffee placed in front of her, with the next file in her pile next to it. Maybourne handed a cup to Jonas, sipping at his own before going back round the table, to sit back down in his own seat. "Oh err I, ya know, found something" Jonas sat putting his cup down on the table, holding the piece of paper out for them to see. "The NID's just had a shipment of hard drives, to their warehouse in Detroit, Michigan" They both looked at each other, holding the piece of paper at a corner between them, and then looked at Jonas, waiting for him to explain further. "Well, they could be the missing hard drives. They're the same amount of the ones that were taken" She nodded her head at him, pushing her seat out from underneath her, taking the piece of paper with her, to Hammond's office where he'd been waiting patiently.

Knocking the door before she went in, she held the piece of paper out for Hammond to take, standing in front of his desk, while Maybourne and Jonas hung around in the doorway. "What am I looking at?" The General took the piece of paper from her for closure inspection, sitting back into his chair. "Jonas believes it's the shipping order, for the missing hard drives. They're the same amount and it fits in with the time scale, sir. I can't see any reason for their storage warehouse, to have over sixty new hard drives, do you sir?" He dropped the piece of paper onto the desk, picking up the phone. "Mary, organise a flight to Detroit for three, I want it ready in half an hour" Standing up from his seat, he put the phone down, loosening his tie around his neck. The General looked at Maybourne in the doorway, tapping his finger off the edge of the table, shoving his other hand into his pocket. "Maybourne, if I let you out of this facility, to go with Major Carter and Mr Quinn, tell me you won't run and you'll come back?" Maybourne nodded his head; the seriousness in his face said enough for the General and for her. She looked to the General, only for him to nod his head and gestured to the door. Clapping her hands together in satisfaction, she squeezed passed Maybourne and Jonas, jogging out of the briefing room, towards the elevator down the corridor.

They'd watched the warehouse until it was dark, most of the NID's personnel had gone home for the night, and just a skeleton crew were on duty. Seeking over the fence had been the hard bit, it'd been easy when her and Maybourne had climbed over, except Jonas got himself caught in the barbwire, falling the six feet to the ground, ripping his trousers at the same time. Quickly they made their way over to the warehouse, climbing up the drainage pipe to the roof and then snuck in through an open window, just like in those spy films when they watched the bad guys, playing with their latest gizmo. Maybourne climbed down first, taking out the guard who was patrolling, the inside of the warehouse, while she helped Jonas get down from the window, trying to unhook his belt from the catch on the window. Spreading out, they searched the warehouse for the boxes, with the hard drives in from the lab.

Making her way round, aiming her torch down on to floor, she looked at the boxes on the shelves, noting they had the new model laptop, she'd put an order in for months ago, in one of the boxes. She stood there grumbling to herself before moving on, bumping into Maybourne when he came out of nowhere, shushing her before she could tell him off.

Pulling her down the row he'd been searching, he brought her to a box and showed her the hard drives in side, beaming at her a smile that she would've found repulsive, at one point in their history. "Good, lets grab the box and Jonas, and get the hell out of here" Maybourne nodded to her, closing the box and resealing the sellotape. She could see Jonas wandering around, his torchlight flashing around in the row over one, eating one of his energy bars again, humming to himself like the Colonel did. No more observing the Colonel, he was observing the wrong things.

Shaking her head, she signalled to Maybourne to take the box and get out, while she got Jonas. Sometimes she felt liked she was his minder, pulling him out scrapes, showing him how to behave properly, and introducing him to food. He came to the end of his row, stuffing the empty wrapper into his pocket, waving his touch off in some direction. "Jonas" Blinded by his touch being aimed at her, she searched for the material of his jacket in the darkness, grabbing a handful of it, she dragged him towards the window where they'd come in, wiping a tear from eye. She'd have to remember, to give him the talk on 'don't shine a torch in people's eyes'.

Climbing up out of the window, she pulled Jonas up and over, both of them crashing into a heap on the roof, before rolling down the slanted roof. She grabbed onto the guttering and onto Jonas, somehow managing to hold onto him and the guttering. Down below, she'd saw Maybourne, looking around for something before rushing off somewhere. "Where's he going?" Jonas said, hanging on tightly to her wrist. "Jonas, how the hell am I supposed to know?" They'd heard something, thundering across towards them from below. Looking down, she saw Maybourne had placed, one of those big huge garbage bins, underneath where they hung from the guttering. She shook her head in disbelieve, counting to herself with each shake to three and then let go, both of them fell down in bin with Jonas screaming his head off all the way down.

Pushing herself up and over the side of the bin, she landed in a heap on the floor, rubbing a hand over her butt while she got up, finding Maybourne grinning at her. Jonas climbed over the top of the side, landing on his feet, giving Maybourne a glare, the Colonel would be proud of. Maybourne carried the box in his arms; they ran quickly over to the part of the fence they'd climbed over, and to where the car was parked. Climbing over the fence, she took the box from Maybourne, watching Jonas somehow balanced on top of the barbwire, before throwing himself on top of the car's roof, not daring to try and climb down this time. He grunted when he landed, slipping off the window through the open sunroof, into the back seat of the car to be greeted by the box. Her and Maybourne got in, hurriedly speeded off, back to the military airport.

Staring at the box, sat on her desk was certainly, not helping in getting the answers out of it. She'd spent a whole day going through the hard drives they'd got, connecting them to the computer, restoring whatever information was on them, taking them off again when there was nothing and then repeating the whole process again. Half way through she'd got, before she fell asleep on the keyboard, being woken by Maybourne calling her, asking for her breakfast order. He wasn't that bad, now she'd gotten to know him better and wasn't trying to stop him doing something bad, he could actually be an a okay kinda guy. But it wasn't helping her with theses hard drives.

Pulling the box across the table to her, she decided it'd be the last one, no more trying after this. Looking round to the footsteps in the corridor, she watched an airman pass by, yawning with his arms stretched above his head. "Airman" He stopped, when he was called, backing up to stand in her doorway. She motioned for him to come in, moving the box nearer to the side. "Pick one" Frowning at her, he reached inside the box, pulling out one of the hard drives. Dropping the box to the floor, she took the hard drive from him, nodding her head with a dismissed thrown over her shoulder, when she turned back to the computer's tower, connecting the hard drive in to placed.

Setting her retrieval program to run, she left it to do its thing, taking her coffee mug for its top up at Jonas's office. Teal'c had returned through the gate that morning, bringing word that the Colonel had had an episode, nearly killing Bra'tact with a spoon. Ry'act had been telling Bra'tact some story about an assassin, as soon as Ry'act had said 'assassin', the Colonel had sprung onto them. It was lucky Teal'c was quick to say her name, or Bra'tact's throat would've been on their menu, for tonight's dinner. Letting the thought slip away, she turned the corner into Jonas's lab, finding them sat round playing cards. Someone around here was taking it serious, was anyone else?

Pouring her self a cup of coffee, she noted that Teal'c was winning; he'd the most matchsticks in front of him, so she presumed he'd won the most hands. Sipping at her coffee, she went back to her lab, not amused that they weren't looking through, the stuff they got from the NID's network, looking for any more clues. Rocking her head from side to side, she entered her lab to find the screen flashing at her 'RESTORATION COMPLETED: 236 files recovered'. Her mug smashed over the floor, making a very hot puddle of coffee at her feet. She grabbed her stool, sitting herself firmly down in front of it, clicking the mouse for it to continue. Lots of numbers and figures flashed in front of her face, before it loaded up the operating system that had been restored to the hard drive.

Searching through everything, she found designs for the implants, the plans for device her father had told her about and weapons they fitted the Colonel, and others like him, out with when they're gone on missions. There's notes taken all the way through the experiment, on how the Colonel performed in tests, on missions and how well the implants were working. Reaching across her desk, she fumbled to get the phone out of its cradle, dialling up Jonas's extension phone before placing the phone by her ear. Jonas answered the other end, chuckling at whatever they're talking about. "Jonas, I've got it" The phone went dead, she put the phone back in its cradle, unable to take her eyes away from the computer, encase the information would suddenly disappear. Behind her, she heard them come crashing, looking at the screen over her shoulder. The answers to all of the Colonel's problems held on that single hard drive, she'd have to put that airman in for a promotion when this was all sorted.

It hadn't taken her a long time, to build the device, two days and 147 coffees later; they'd gotten a fully functional... thing. She'd wanted to go through the gate straight away, but Hammond had ordered them all to get some sleep, working for the past month and three weeks, had taken its toll on all of them. Jonas had fallen asleep in the briefing room, when the word 'sleep' was mentioned, snoring lightly to himself while they'd all left him to it. Teal'c had gone through though, taking the good news to the Colonel, and then went to the Tok'ra from there, to get her father. He was the only one out of them, who knew how to work the damn thing, sure she could play around with it for awhile, but what damaged could that do to the Colonel, if she got it wrong? Maybourne was sleeping in his quarters; departing after them back to his paradise, the Tok'ra had found him. But she couldn't sleep, hiding in a dark office above the General's, rolling his ball back and forth along the table.

The only place on the base, where she felt close to him was there, other than his quarters, she could smell him. Getting her fix that she'd been missing, for the month and three weeks, absorbing as much as she could, from all of her senses. It was comforting to be in his office, the strong presence of him was there, in everything she saw around his office. If a total stranger came onto the base, and saw her sat there, they'd think she was mourning him, the way she clung to the chair.

Looking down at the buzzing sound coming from underneath the desk, she found his computer was on, curious she turned the screen on, sitting back into his seat, while she waited for the screen to warm up. The picture slowly faded into view on the screen, showing his desktop had a collection of pictures on it. There were a few of Charlie, sitting on the back step with a hockey stick in his arms, and the one she seen in the photo album, the Colonel laying on his back, holding Charlie as a baby above him. In the other corner, was a picture from the early days of SG-1, Daniel sitting proudly at the front, with her sat next to him in her dress blue's, the Colonel and Teal'c stood behind them. She hadn't noticed on the day, the picture was taken, but the Colonel had his hand, resting on her shoulder. The bottom corner had one of her and him, sitting on a workbench, from the books that sat beside her and the Colonel she could tell it was Daniel's office, both of them were smiling at each other, laughing at Teal'c's early attempt at a joke, if she remembered right.

Chuckling to herself, she looked to her watched, when it started beeping, her early wake up call telling her it was time to shower and change, ready to go and get the Colonel. Turning his screen off, she made sure everything was as it was, when she had come in, his ball carefully balance on top of the screen. Leaving the room, she breathed in one last breath of him and then left, closing the door behind her.

Rubbing her hands over her face, the tiredness and the stress of the past couple of weeks, she'd shut away in his office. Leaving the only feeling she hated most, anxiety, anxious to see the Colonel again. Entering their locker room, she found Jonas already prep to go, packing the Colonels BDU's into his backpack. "Morning, Jonas" He smiled briefly over his shoulder, fastening the flap on the backpack, leaving her to shower and get dressed in peace. When the door clicked into place, she stripped herself of her shirt, throwing it in the laundry bin by the door. Undoing her laces on her boots, she kicked them off into her little alcove, pulling her t-shirt over her head at the same time, joining her shirt in the laundry bin. Opening her locker, next to her alcove, she took out her sport bra; she wore whenever going off world, finding it to be more conventional and comfortable. Sorting through her things, she took her wash kit out, clean underwear and a clean pair of socks.

She laid them out on the bench before going into the washroom, connected onto their locker room. Not many teams had their own locker room, after much complaining from the Colonel, about the cues when teams came back at the same time, they were given there own with a small washroom, with two showers. There's a partition between the two showers, one side was for her and the other side was the boys. Even the walls were painted, one side was pink and the other was blue, but she'd taken the blue, never into the girlie colour.

Finishing her shower, she prep herself for the mission, just finished dressing when Jonas pop his head round the door, looking down at the floor, encase he came in at the wrong moment. He'd leant that the hard way. "Sam, you ready?" Lifting his head up with a finger under his chin, she smiled at him, opening the door wider, offering her backpack to him. He took it from her, attaching it to the clips on her vest, while they walked down the corridor to the elevator. Adjusting the straps for her P90's harness, when the elevator doors opened, she stepped inside not looking where she was going. "Major Carter" She froze, she hated that voice, snobby little senator. Meeting his smug gaze, she looked to the side to make sure Jonas was in the elevator, before pressing the gate room level.

It puzzled her that Kinsey was in off world gear, his assistant too, he'd got this smug grin to his face, like the one Maybourne used to have before she got to know him, but she never wanted to get to know the Senator. The doors opened behind her, she walked off leaving him there, not caring what he was doing there, just as long as Jonas was following her, she didn't care. An airman swiped his card in the reader for them, the door opened so they didn't have to stop, taking their weapons that were offered to them. "Ma'am, General Hammond said would you please run through, it'll be explained the other side" Nodding her head, she ran up the ramp, hearing Jonas's footfalls and her own, echo through the room until they ran through to the other side.

Jumping down the steps, Bra'tact and Ry'act greeted her; the Colonel was nowhere in sight. "Major Carter, it is good to see you well. Although it appears you have been in battle recently" Touching the cut on her forehead, she shook her head at him, stepping down the steps of the gate, grateful the gate closed after them. "No, just flying through windows. Where's Colonel O'Neill?" Jonas and Ry'act went over to the F.R.E.D, Bra'tact stepped closure to her, shifting his staff weapon to his other hand. Jonas took the remote for the F.R.E.D out of its compartment, walking alongside it, crawling its way along the well-worn path. "Human is with your father and Teal'c, hiding at my and Ry'act's home. Hammond of Texas, informed us that a man will be joining us, a powerful man of your people" She stopped dead in her tracks, attaching her P90 to its harness, cursing at the grinning bastard she'd left behind. "I take from your response, you do not like this man. This Senator Kingsey?" Shaking her head, she started walking after Jonas, quickening her step to catch up with them. Bra'tact kept up with her easily, pulling her hat out of her vest pocket, she put it on backwards, not wanting anything to be in her vision.

What would it do for Kinsey to come off world? He'd never shown any sign in the past, of wanting to go off world if anything, he wanted everyone to stay as far as away as possible, from the gate. Wanting nothing to do with the best thing, ever to happen to earth, the best thing in science history. Clasping a finger down on her radio, she pulled it towards her mouth, noticing the big clearing from her dream, coming up a head. "Teal'c, come in please" There was static for a while, probably fighting over the radio. "Carter! God, it's good to hear your voice! Where the hell have you been? Holidaying in Hawaii?" Rolling her eyes, she held back the grin for later; noticing Bra'tact was hanging his head, shaking his head. "No, sir. I went to Bahamas instead" She didn't stopped the smile that time, the image of him hearing that, nodding his head at her dad and Teal'c almost made her crack up. "Ya could've waited, I could do with a holiday after this" "Sir, put my dad on please" Crossing the invisible barrier into the Land of the Light, she slipped on her sunglasses, looking behind them to see if anyone was following them.

Jonas was asking Ry'act for directions, trying his best to miss the potholes, he must have bad luck following him. "Major Carter" "Teal'c, we should be there soon. Has Bra'tact told you what Hammond told him?" "He has indeed, O'Neill was voicing his opinion until your voice came over the radio" She smiled down at the ground, sighing at the comfort that brought. "I hope Hammond's stalling him, just until we get there. I don't think many know where Bra'tact and Ry'act lived" "Carter! Quit the chitchat! Just get you butt here! Otherwise, I'll get pops to say that special word" She'd been hoping Bra'tact could teach him some patients. "Okay, sir. Over and out" Letting her radio fall back onto her chest, her and Bra'tact jogged to catch up with the F.R.E.D, while she was doing that, she undid her backpack, catching it before it hit the ground and placed it on the F.R.E.D.

Arriving over the ridge that hid the small house, built in the same fashion of Teal'c's old home, back on Chulak except this one had walls and a front door, not just two stonewalls. The Colonel rushed out of the house, looking like a child from Christmas, bouncing from foot to foot, looking at the goodies on the F.R.E.D, when it came to a stop. Removing her sunglasses, she gave her father a quick hug, then took her vest off and her P90, dropping them into a heap beside the F.R.E.D. Undoing the strap that had kept the cases in place, she found the Colonel stood beside her, grinning like a complete idiot, helping to pull the strap from underneath the F.R.E.D. He took her cap off of her head, to which she was about to complain, until she noticed he was curving the brim of her cap and then put it back on for her, exactly how she'd had it.

Returning back to the F.R.E.D, she grabbed one of the cases, hauling it over towards the house, taking it inside to place on the table. Opening it up, she found the Colonel brought two more in for her, and then was standing beside, while the others brought the rest of the cases in. Taking out each piece of the device from the various cases, she laid them out on the table in the order they're to be assembled, bathing in the attention the Colonel was giving her. Heading outside, she found the Colonel was following her, ignoring it, she opened her backpack, taking out her tool kit. She bumped into him, going back towards the house, sighing she stepped passed him and went back inside.

Sitting down at the table, she found him sat straight across from her, watching her laying her tools out on the table. "Sir" He looked up from her hands, smiling the charming smiled from her dreams. "Never mind" Quickly she got to work, attaching and screwing bits together, concentrating on the device instead of the eyes were watching her every move. It felt like he was making up time, for month and three weeks, that he hadn't been able to sit across from her in her lab, watching her work on her latest creation. "Thanks, Carter" She looked up at him, resting his head on his folded arms, straddling the chair opposite her. "For what, sir?" Picking up the last piece, she connected it with a twist, then tighten all of the screws up. "For saving my life like you always do" She smiled, putting the device down on the table, picking up one of the other cases, she opened it up and took her laptop out, placing it down on the table next to it.

Connecting the leads up to the device, she stood up from her chair, loading the program up on her laptop. "DAD!" Jacob came in from outside, moving passed her to the seat, where she'd been sitting. Glancing one last time at the Colonel, she shut the door behind her, joining the others outside. Although she found Jonas, hanging upside down from a tree, she went off walking by her self, unaffected by his calls for help. Her job here was done now, she'd built the device, brought it to him and then it all rested in the hands of her father. She felt sick to her stomach, just like she did in that lab, the smell of that corpse haunting her, even though it was over a billion lights years away from there.

Stopping in just the hearing distance of the cries of Jonas, she sat down on the ground, pulling her cap from her head, lying back into the long grass. Her nerves were playing up, she was scared that it wouldn't work, then the Colonel would have to remain here, never able to go home. That was probably why Kinsey was there; he wanted to make sure the Colonel never came back, causing more problems for the power hunger Senator. Kinsey shouldn't just be worried about the Colonel; he should be worried about her, because if the Colonel never saw the light of day, back on earth. She was going to blamed him and anyone else, who are involved, taking them down from their pedal stool. "SAM!"

She sat bolt up right, looking up the hill to her father, waving for her to come. Scurrying up the hill, she stood up straight, coming face to face with the Colonel, sitting against the side of the house, with his head in his hands, mumbling about it being worse than Janet's physicals. "He's going to be fine now, no more psychotic trances for him" Running a hand through her hair, she sighed in relief, her shoulders relax for the first time in some days. Her whole body relaxed, making her feel the strains of tiredness, now that her caffeine levels were coming down.

They all looked to her radio on the F.R.E.D, Kinsey's voice blaring out them, asking where the hell she was. Dropping her head to her chest, she stomped over to her vest on the F.R.E.D, taking her radio out its pouched, clasping her finger down on the button. "Major Carter here, Senator" "You think that little stunt you pulled Major, was clever? I could have you bump down to airman, if that's what you really want? Now, come to the Stargate and get me" Frowning down at her radio, she just looked at the plastic object, not finding that last remark coming from it, at all threatening. Turning round to face the others, she took two steps away from the F.R.E.D, taking on a pitchers persona. Holding the radio between her hands, she looked out towards the city, the hill over looked, and then behind her. The radio crackled with Kinsey's voice, rotating her shoulders, she stepped forward and threw the radio at the city, watching it sailed over the F.R.E.D, travelling towards the sky before falling down towards the city, missing it by miles.

Turning back round, she looked to the next radio, blaring out Kinsey's voice, coming from Teal'c's chest. Wiping a hand over her mouth, she crossed the clearing over to the Teal'c, taking the radio from his vest pocket. Looking at the radio again in her hand, she didn't find the threat of her, being kicked out of the air force alarming, if something it brought joy. Clasping her finger down on the switch, she turned round to find the Colonel, one of Bra'tact's wooden staff's in his hands, imitating a professional baseball player, scuffing his boot into the grass. "Senator, you can go kiss my ass" She heard something like 'you can certainly packed your things now, Miss Carter', while the radio sailed towards the Colonel. He hit it dead on, sending it up and over the trees, never to be seen again, until someone happens to stumble over it and then, it wouldn't mean anything to them.

Kinsey's voice started coming from Jonas, up in the tree behind her, dangling from a rope, tied to his ankle. He undid his radios pouches flap, pulling the radio out and dropped it to her. Before she could catch it, someone else caught it, looking at the radio in his hands, his eyebrows screwed up like the last time, the Colonel and Senator had met, shouting at him while she dragged him to the car. "This one's mine" He said, walking towards the F.R.E.D. "Kinsey, O'Neill. I'd just like to say, if by the time I get down to the gate and your still there, I wouldn't be. And if you think, threatening a member of my team will get you far, just remember that Harry and me have some very nice disks, that are just screaming to go out on the internet and to every newspaper in the world" He placed the radio down on a rock, crossing to the F.R.E.D, he picked up her P90, flicked the safety off and opened fired on the poor little radio. Bits of it flew through the air, scattering it all over the placed, creating a mess for someone to clean up later.

The P90 stopped, silencing the area around them, everyone looked when the door to the house opened. Jacob came out with the device, over his shoulder, and her laptop underneath his arm, placing them down on the rock the radio had once been. "I think this device has caused enough trouble, don't you Jack?" The Colonel opened fired on the device, taking both the device and her laptop out, she could have cried. She'd had that laptop some time; it had a nice picture of the Colonel on it too. In a matter of minutes, there was nothing recognisable of the device or her laptop left, just bend metal, bits of plastic and green circuit board, scattered over the surrounding area of the rock.

The Colonel handed the P90 to her father, turning his back on the messed he'd created, running a hand through his hair. "Let's go home" No one said a word, he went into the house while everyone stood around, looking to each other with a grin on their face. Something snapped, Jonas cried out to everyone, but they all just stood there, looking at each other. Only when Jonas suddenly came crashing towards the ground, to anybody move, everyone ran to break his fall. They all ran into one another, landing in a heap on the floor and then Jonas landed on top of them, a faint thank you coming from him while everyone burst out laughing.

Watching the gate spin round, she stood beside the Colonel, her smile beaming now that he's coming home. Teal'c was saying his goodbyes while Jonas dialled home, muttering that he's never coming to see Ry'act again. Pressing his hand down on the centre of the DHD, Jonas sent the IDC when the wormhole formed. Watching the Colonel, it made her smile more, unlike the last time she watched him, watch the gate activate, he made this slight O shape with his mouth, awing in the sight of the gate like he did. He sighed, turning to face her, smiling at her he slung his bag over his shoulder, gesturing for her to go first. Bowing her head in thanks, she stepped up the steps, feeling good about returning home. Out the corner of her eye, she saw Jonas crossed just before her with the Colonel right behind her.

Coming through onto the other side, she frowned at the armed SF's, lining along the wall at the bottom of the ramp and the men manning the guns either side of the ramp. The door opened to the gate room, both Kinsey and the General came in, arguing over something. Teal'c stepped through to stand beside the Colonel, the gate closing behind them. The Colonel dropped his bag down onto the ramp, placing his hands on his hips. "Is this the kinda welcome, I'm going to get from now on?" She could see the General trying to hold his smile, trying to remain serious while Kinsey shouted at him. "That man is a danger to this facility! He could go psycho on us at any given time!" Stepping down the ramp, the Colonel shoved his hands into his pockets, coming to stand in front of the slightly quivering senator.

The Colonel just stared at him for a while, giving him the glared he normally gave Jonas or to an airman. "Kinsey, the only time I've ever gone psycho, was when I didn't shoot you. Now, if you really want me to go psycho, just say the word or I can get Carter to say it for me" At hearing her name, she walked down the ramp, coming to stand next to the Colonel. Kinsey looked from her back to the Colonel and then to the General, all three of them just stared at him. Soon everyone in the room came to stand behind them, Jonas and Teal'c stood next to her. "Come on Kinsey, just one simple little word. You can do that" Kinsey took a step back, bumping into his assistant. "Well, I guess Carter's gotta say it" She turned to look at the Colonel, putting her back to the Senator, so she could at least grin if she couldn't giggle. "Sir, are you sure about this? I mean... its such a small word for me" A smile threaten to tugged the corner of his lips up, but somehow he managed to stop it. "Oh, I'm sure you can Carter. Just give it a go" Wiping the grin from her face, she turned back round to face the Senator, seeing the fear in his eyes. "Okay, here we go. A... ass...(Kinsey backs away slightly) asshole" Kinsey was almost shitting himself, running from the room with his assistant calling after him, shouting for him to wait for him.

Everyone burst out laughing, dispersing from the room; taking the laughter with them from the room. Shaking her head at herself, she left the gate room and the others, listening to Hammond say how glad he was to have the Colonel back. Unclipping the front of her vest, she rubbed the cut on her forehead, wincing at the pain it caused her. "Hey Carter! Wait up!" Looking over her shoulder she found the Colonel, jogging after her, his bag over one shoulder. Pressing the call button for the elevator, she waited for him to catch her up, smiling when she turned to face him. The doors opened when he got there, they entered together, smiling at one another while she pressed the button for two levels up. "Carter, I'd just like... what the hell happen to your forehead?" He dropped his bag on the floor, brushing her hair aside so he could take a better look of her cut. "It's nothing, sir. Just playing heroics" The air in the elevator was starting to get hot, his fingers were making her skin tingled, the pain that played over her cut was gone.

Holding her breath, she watched his hands play over her forehead, his face twisting when he saw the rawness of the wound. The elevator doors opened, she squeezed passed him, leaving him there, panting from having to hold her breath for so long. Shocked when someone grabbed her arm, pushing her into one of the nearby rooms that was empty, the light came on when the door shut, he stood there with his bag in one hand before dropping it on the side. "Carter, Teal'c told me about my house exploded. And when I found... him in my bag, I..." The distance between them was cut short, she rushed across the room to quieten him, but found he'd pulled her into a fierce kiss, pressing her up against the door.

She was lost inside the warmth of his arms, the argument that she smack him in the face and report him to Hammond, was running in her head. But the stronger side of the argument, the side of her she'd long to showed him, the feelings that had to be kept hidden away every day, were screaming out for her to have this moment. Her hands snaked up, wrapping themselves around his neck, holding on to him encase she'd woke up, and found this all to be a dream. That he was still back there in the Land of the Light, and she was getting a substitute high from his office, using it to get her through the day.

The kiss came to it's own end, both of them leaning up the other for support, replenishing the oxygen levels in their blood streams. His hands were causing fire on her lower back, some how seeking their way under her jacket and t-shirt. "I've missed ya, ya know?" Stroking the side of his face, she leant back in his embrace, smiling at his worn face. "And I've missed you too, sir" The last part hit him, breaking the spell that had fallen on them, making them come back to reality. She felt deprived, when he retrieved his hands, from underneath her t-shirt, taking the warmth and the feel of him away. Her hands fell down from around his neck, lightly trailing down the front of his chest over his shirt, noticing the hurt look in his eyes when he turned away from her.

Picking up his bag from the worktop, he rubbed the back of his neck, staring off somewhere in the room. Taking it as her time to leave, she opened the door, slipping out into the corridor, trying to wipe away the feel of his lips, which was causing her some trouble. It just wouldn't go away; neither would the feel of his hands playing over her back, while they'd been kissing. They just wouldn't go away. Kicking her boot at nothing, she pushed their locker room door open, walking straight passed a half naked Jonas and a towel covered Teal'c, carrying on into her shower area. Opening and closing the shower stall door on her self; she leaned against the wall, slowly sinking down till she was sitting. They'd crossed the line and now she didn't want to go back, she wanted to rekindle, the way his arms had felt around her, the way he'd kissed her.

Holding her head in her hands, she sat there trying to figure out what she was going to do, when she suddenly heard a gunshot, ring through the corridors of the SGC. Frowning at the familiar sound, she got to her feet, pushing the shower stall door open. Leaving the shower area, she shrugged off her jacket and vest, leaving them on the floor, while running out into the corridor. Looking down the corridor, she could see people crowded over someone, others chasing someone down the corridor. The people surrounding, whoever was on the floor, kept looking at her over their shoulders, whispering about something.

Jogging over to the group, she noticed the greying hair, standing out from the greens and blues of people's uniforms. Jogging turned into running, sliding along the floor until she came to his side, finding the dark red blood already soaked into his shirt, telling her all she needed to know. "Car..." She picked his hand up, holding it to her face with hers shadowing over the top of his, holding it firmly while the tears ran down her cheeks. For a moment, he seemed to smile, and then his eyes had a glazed affect, wash over them. Reaching to his neck, she checked for a pulse, and she checked again and again, but still there was nothing. People were shouting and shooting, but all she could do was look at his face, laying his hand down over his stomach.

Shifting slightly up, she leant over him, wiping the blood splattered from his cheeks and lips, before kissing his cheek firmly. "You go be with Charlie now" One of her tears fell onto his cheek, running off down his cheek, never to be seen again. Unsteadily, she got to her feet, pushing passed the people who crowded his body, making her way down the corridor, until she crumbled into a heap on the floor, hugging herself when she allowed herself to let all the tears run.

Someone's arms came around her, pulling her into their lap, while they told her O'Neill was in a better place and that they got the man who killed him. Another pair of strong arms came around her, telling her it was going to be fine, she had him and Teal'c to look after her. From exhaustion of crying, she fell a sleep in their arms, sending herself back to that planet, back to their picnic on the blanket. Back to where she was happy and he wasn't... dead.

The End

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Katmellie