Heliopolis Main Archive
A Stargate: SG-1 Fanfiction Site

Nothing Gold Can Stay

by Kath Anderson
[Reviews - 0]   Printer
Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Nothing Gold Can Stay

by Kathleen Anderson

TITLE: Nothing Gold Can Stay
Author: Kathleen Anderson
Email: sam_loves_jack@yahoo.ca
Category: Angst, Drama, Romance
Pairing: Sam/Jack, Daniel/Sam
Spoilers: Meridian
Season: 5
Rating: G
Content Warnings: character death
Status: Completed
Summary: A Meridian post-ep that attempts to determine how Sam may feel.
Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 and its characters are the property of Showtime/Viacom, MGM/UA, Double Secret Productions, and Gekko Productions. We have written this story for entertainment purposes only and no money whatsoever has exchanged hands. No copyright infringement is intended. The original characters, situations, and story are the property of the authors. Not to be archived without permission of the authors.
Author's Notes: Seeing as I have yet to gain any self control, I downloaded Meridian and watched it. After spending a half hour crying, I wanted to write something. This is the result.

Though hurricanes rise, though rise ev'ry wind,
No tempest can equal the storm in my mind

He's gone, he died, but at the same time he didn't. He's gone, but he's not. I talked with Jack. He said that Daniel asked him to stop Dad. I don't know how Daniel asked him but I don't doubt that he did.

I never told anyone else how I felt about Daniel. I wasn't even planning on telling Daniel, but then it was almost too late. I loved Daniel..I love Daniel. I don't love him as I would a husband, but more as I love my family. I wonder if Daniel heard me, crying over him.

And God stands winding His lonely horn,
And time and the world are ever in flight;
And love is less kind than the grey twilight,
And hope is less dear than the dew of the morn

Ascension. Does this mean that Daniel is better than the rest of us now? He is like Orlin was. I thought I loved Orlin, he made me feel beautiful. I thought I loved him, like I thought I loved Narim, Martouf, Joe and Jonas. They are gone now. Not gone like Daniel, but gone.

Did Daniel hear me tell him he changed me? He made me see what really matters. I don't know why we wait to tell people how we really feel.

So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

I find Jack in Daniel's lab, touching the various texts and artifacts.

"Sir?"

Jack whirls around, he sees me.

"Carter. Hey, I was just, uh, you know."

"Yeah, I know."

I join him, and watch as he runs his hand along the length of a statue.

"Hard to believe he's really gone."

I nod and find myself praying that I can get through this without breaking down into tears.

"What do you suppose they're gonna do with all his rocks and stuff?"

"I suppose that there's a museum out there that would love to get their hands on this stuff."

"The General wants us to clear out Daniel's apartment."

Those words send a stabbing pain through my heart. We'd done that before.

"Yeah, sure. That's not a problem."

Jack picks up a book and flips through it.

"Daniel said that he's going to miss us."

I can't help it, a tear rolls down my cheek. Jack looks at me and puts the book down. I don't protest as he grabs me and pulls me into a hug.

Time heals wounds
It'll see me through
But I'll need many more moons
To forget you

"Before Daniel left, I told him that I don't know why we always wait to tell people how we feel."

"Did you love Daniel?"

"I did."

Jack and I are sitting on the floor of Daniel's lab. He looks rather shocked by what I've just said.

"I did love him, I do love him, but it's a different kind of love."

Jack picks at his boot, "Oh?"

I nod and wipe my eyes with my sleeve, "I love him as a friend, like a brother. I hoped that he always knew."

"I think he did."

"Jack?"

He looks at me, startled by my use of his first name.

"You know how I feel, about you, don't you?"

"Yes."

He doesn't need to say more, the way he looks at me says it all.

'cause i am falling, into a world that i can't descibe
and i am calling, 'cause i'd like to say goodbye

I told him, and it wasn't too late. A part of me feels at peace now. I haven't said goodbye yet. He left so suddenly. Maybe the other part will never feel at peace, but that's alright. He knew how I felt and now Jack knows too.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Various poems and songs used:
"Farewell to Lochaber" Allan Ramsey
"Into the Twilight" William Butler Yeats
"Nothing Gold Can Stay" Robert Frost
"Cold Winds" Heather Rankin
"Falling" Bruce Guthro

If you enjoyed this story, please send feedback to Kathleen Anderson